(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,544 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 143 of 491.
#7101 9 years ago
Quoted from gprotein:

the “pinside” wave has helped to cause many of my customers to stop support

Because the lack of delivering or SHOWING anything after all these years has nothing to do with the customer's loss of confidence.

#7102 9 years ago

It's so frustrating to be a logical person and try to interact with someone who isn't. Popaduik is clearly living in a bubble of his own ego and no amount of reality will penetrate.

It reminds me of Steve Jobs "Reality Distortion Field" except that one worked on *other* people!

#7103 9 years ago
Quoted from dkpinball:

I find this contemptible. The pinside wave is a wave of customers and vendors sharing their stories. All of the stories have been corroborated and unfortunately for John, his bad behavior came to light.
I'm speechless at this point.

While I certainly feel bad for pre-order people on one hand, they knew the risks (even if they didn't give those risks enough credence.) If you think any manufacturer relying on pre-order money is immune to going bankrupt you're wrong. Accept that you're taking a real risk. The manufacturer obviously does not have to disclose to you how financially healthy they are. When you see red flags don't dismiss them just because the next guy (or gal) does. History will repeat itself as we're seeing here.

#7104 9 years ago
opera-singer.jpgopera-singer.jpg
#7105 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Because the lack of delivering or SHOWING anything after all these years has nothing to do with the customer's loss of confidence.

Also not responding to refund requests. Not paying vendors.

Quoted from gprotein:

apart from anything I have missed or do poorly as a business owner.

How about as a decent person? The things that have been reported go way outside the bounds of what is acceptable as a person, forget as a business. He took time and product from small business owners, good people, and he doesn't pay them. A month late, OK, oops! But months and months and months is intentional and is has nothing to do with being bad at business.

#7106 9 years ago

Well, I've lost a lot of respect for him in general.

And the only thing this 'pinside group' did was to show me that he hasn't delivered, being far, far behind in everything.

So, granted, without this 'pinside group', I may have been an idiot and sent him money. D'oh.

#7107 9 years ago

Was it not the PINSIDE community that gave it the initial support, and allow discussions that only further enabled sales?

And you now blame it?

What a crock.........

#7108 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

John will be remembered for using up over $1 million of the community's money and never showed a playing game for all that money and years of time.

That's the biggest tragedy of all of this in a way. It's not that he failed to actually *build* them, because he never even got that far. That's the crazy hard part too!

Hell, Skit-B showed a flipping game. I played it!

We never actually saw a second of gameplay. Not one. Some pathetic white wood footage of the slingshot area and a ball bouncing around in it, and that's it.

Now that I've read the email again I can't see it saying anything other than he's broke. He's out of money, it's over, and he's just hoping for some last minute angel to save him, and he's mad that Pinside has revealed all the dirty laundry and failings that he's tried to sweep under the rug, because it's making it harder for him to get bailed out.

Sell out or declare bankruptcy, those are the paths that seem open from that email. He almost sounded like he was sad that he wasn't forced to liquidate.

#7109 9 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

While I certainly feel bad for pre-order people on one hand, they knew the risks (even if they didn't give those risks enough credence.) If you think any manufacturer relying on pre-order money is immune to going bankrupt you're wrong.

Well, yea, but when I'm buying something I generally read the reviews. If the reviews are bad, I don't order that product. John is blaming the bad reviews for not finishing, not himself. He had more cash flow than he needed at first. To blame the cash flow drying up on the reviewers is what I take exception with. No one will buy Alice in Wonderland now, because people have heard that he takes money and doesn't finish. Whose fault is that????

#7110 9 years ago
Quoted from BrianZ:

Was it not the PINSIDE community that gave it the initial support, and allow discussions that only further enabled sales?
And you now blame it?
What a crock.........

Pinside giveth, and pinside taketh away.

#7111 9 years ago

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Why is it that, in a VERY small way, I feel sorry for this guy?

popadiuk1.jpgpopadiuk1.jpg
#7112 9 years ago

I'd feel a bit sorry for him if he would just admit to *some* culpability in the situation, but he's blaming everyone else but himself.

That's one of the most frustrating aspects of this whole thing. If he'd just *be honest* and own up to it, I bet everyone would forgive him. That is, if it wasn't all just a scam all along for him to tinker around in his sandbox on other people's dime.

#7113 9 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

Why is it that, in a VERY small way, I feel sorry for this guy?

I do. Definitely. The whole thing is very sad. No one is cheering that he failed. I'd much rather he succeeded and people were happy with their games.

I don't think he's a bad person. He had good intentions, good ideas, and he got in way over his head, from the start. If you look back it was really doomed to failure from the beginning.

But with a business partner or two, that he actually allowed to have power of their own domains? Could have been a very different story.

As it is, he's fully to blame, for all of it. His name and reputation in pinball are ruined, probably forever. And that's a pity. But people have the right to be mad at him, he lost them a ton of money, and created years of frustration.

Quoted from jwilson:

I'd feel a bit sorry for him if he would just admit to *some* culpability in the situation, but he's blaming everyone else but himself.
That's one of the most frustrating aspects of this whole thing. If he'd just *be honest* and own up to it, I bet everyone would forgive him. That is, if it wasn't all just a scam all along for him to tinker around in his sandbox on other people's dime.

Dead on. So stupid, if he'd just admitted the issues from the beginning people would have found ways to help. Instead he refused help and pretended nothing was wrong. Congrats, you controlled the whole thing, all the way into a spiral straight into the ground.

#7114 9 years ago

jpoop.jpgjpoop.jpg

#7115 9 years ago

From Page 1 of this thread, Posted 10 months ago:

Quoted from iceman44:

I'm so excited about RAZA, it looks awesome so far and am thrilled to have Jpop leading the charges here. So I can't wait to see more from Jpop on RAZA and AIW, I think there is still availability left on AIW!

All one has to do is look at page 1, and then follow the steady descent this thread had. Truly avoidable which makes it a real tragedy.

#7116 9 years ago
Quoted from gprotein:

My brain is just wired differently as an artist

Ugh. He called himself an "artist". What an inflated ego.

If you walked up to Steve Ritchie and called him an artist, he'd laugh at you.

#7117 9 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

Ugh. He called himself an "artist".

I came to the tough conclusion I ended up becoming a literal Artist's Patron some time ago. Unfortunately I never got anything to hang on my wall out of it.

#7118 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I feel terrible and embarrassed when I'm a week late delivering my translites because they're delayed at the printer or something. And I don't take a dime from people until they're ready to ship, I don't even have their money, just my promise to take care of things as fast as I can. Makes me feel like a jerk. I can't believe Jpop gets up every day, wanders into his studio (which I hear is fucking huge) and starts dreaming out his fantasy half naked cosplay girl bowling game, while asking people to buy him coffee so they can hear his wisdom. (You know who you are, sorry, had to throw that one in there.)
It's just pinball. We all love it, but it's not the freaking Mona Lisa. This isn't a 40 year epic journey of a master craftsman. It's a guy who was a junior designer at Williams trying to live out his dream of still making pinball, promising people the moon (I haven't even said a word yet about the ridiculous bullshit he promised people was going to be animated on the LCD screen at Expo, you guys all know that's utter bollocks right?) and meanwhile doing his pinball designer masturbation into piles of your cash.
I'd be afraid to show my face at Expo if I was Jpop. I'd be ashamed of what I was doing. Dude is so self unaware though that instead he waltzes in with empty freaking cabinets, with art that he doesn't have permission to use, a translite he won't let people take photos of, and then has the gall to tell people to just check out how bad ass the *hinges* are! Because that's the problem collectors of ultra rare pinball have, they're so tired of folding down the heads on their precious games with standard hinges.
Sorry, I'm starting to rant here. But he's giving boutique pinball a bad name. He's the poster child for irresponsible overpriced bullshit. If he ever ships all the Magic Girls and I haven't keeled over from old age I will personally donate $100 to Pinside. Feel free to remind me, I've lost a bet on here before and donated happily. My money feels rock solid safe to me.

Your $100 appears to be safe.

#7119 9 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Man, I was feeling ranty that day!

I also have two Shadow translites I need to pack up.

#7120 9 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Holy crap, the last time I saw Aurich that worked up it was . . . never.

But he is spot on right.

#7121 9 years ago

More than ever I think a deal with stern is his best, and possibly only, option. I know some of you don't agree but I don't see any other way his machines get built. Spooky pinball as a long shot possibility but not likely.

#7122 9 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

Ugh. He called himself an "artist". What an inflated ego.
If you walked up to Steve Ritchie and called him an artist, he'd laugh at you.

It really pisses me off that he thinks being an "Artist" excuses the absolute bullshit he has pulled. Being an Artist doesn't force you to overpromise. Being an Artist doesn't force you to outright lie about the state of your projects. Being an Artist doesn't force you to run a ponzi scheme to make late customers pay for the projects of your first customers. And being an Artist doesn't excuse complete and utter incompetence when people gave you money in good faith because you assured them that you knew what you were doing.

Yes there are character traits that come with being an Artist, but it's total assholes who hide their fuck-ups behind their "different wiring" that make life hard for the rest of us Artists who are actually honest professionals.

#7123 9 years ago

The doors are closing...Jjp can't help him, stern won't help him... And the vendors that do want to help him he brushed off..... Sucks

#7124 9 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Holy crap, the last time I saw Aurich that worked up it was . . . never.

Pretty sure if you can find a post that's more worked up than that one it's probably in this thread too.

I think I probably wrote that post after talking to people who were personally getting the run around from John and just couldn't stand seeing friends and people I respected getting the shaft over and over from this guy. Yes, I do feel a little sorry for him. But I've got so many stories how of the way he constantly pissed away opportunities, discarding people along with them, and in an arrogant and ridiculous way to boot, that I just can't put this on anyone else but squarely his shoulders.

Look how he turned his back on Ben, and then who shipped a finished pinball? I played America's Most Haunted in 2013! John can't even show Magic Girl flipping.

The irony of being mad over Chuck working on his own zombie-themed game, when now it's not even going to come out as Pinball Zombies anymore. And you know what? The art on that one is going to be killer, and it's gonna ship, and John still won't have a game to his name.

You're getting me worked up again!

#7125 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

What if the only way we would ever see our pins was if :
MG was upped to 50
RAZA was upped to 250
It's the only way to get a production partner and make it viable for somebody to loan money to the deal to get it done.
Btw, it could happen with or without John, but people need to start accepting the increased production numbers now for there to even be a scintilla of hope
ZERO chance of making it with current numbers

Are you kidding? Who in their right mind would put up that kind of money after all this? Not I, said the cat.

#7126 9 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Quoted from Aurich:

Man, I was feeling ranty that day!

Believe me, I had not forgot about that post, or the other one that was posted with it, and I still stand by my nomination:

Quoted from RobT:

I would like to respectfully nominate these back to back posts by Aurich for the Best Pinside Rant of the Year.
Where do I send my ballot?

#7127 9 years ago

This-

artist.pngartist.png
#7128 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Pretty sure if you can find a post that's more worked up than that one it's probably in this thread too.

I think that's this one:

Quoted from Aurich:

Dude, who are trying to fool? He's never going to build games. It's time for people to just face it. It's been years, he's taken money for three titles, and he's still not showing the first one. And he has the balls to ask for more money for vaporware title 3, and build fantasy KISS games, and put up a host of bullshit broken websites for all his other vaporware games that will never happen. That's your money he's wasting doing that.
He doesn't have a "working game". I'm sorry to use this analogy, but you sound like an abused spouse. You say "if he keeps avoiding giving hard dates" like this isn't the pattern he's followed the entire time. He did the "baby, I can change!" speech, promised a big rug reveal, and then ... nothing. It's time to face what's going on, that you're sending money to someone so he can play in his sandbox, and cut yourself free.
Designing is the fun part. That's the playtime. The rest is hard work. A LOT of hard work. He can't even finish playing. It's done.
You're just prolonging the inevitable, and wasting your cash. I doubt you'll ever see a dime back, and that sucks. Cointaker shouldn't have gotten involved, they're a legit business, maybe something will happen there, I dunno.
Best of luck to you all, but I think it's time to stop dreaming and figure out if you can rescue any of your money, or at least save yourself the pain of sending him more.

#7129 9 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

More than ever I think a deal with stern is his best, and possibly only, option.

It would be great for JPop and the buyers, but why would Stern step into this situation now? How would a deal even work? Clearly a partnership's not happening (see posts by Fast, Ice, and others that have tried to work cooperatively with JPop). So a straight sale of everything he's done so far, with Stern then finishing design/coding/production? Even if JPop would agree to that, would Stern really be willing to pay enough for whatever he's done so far to cover full refunds for all of the pre-order money already collected?

I just can't imagine Stern wanting to get involved when there's money to be made making Fast and Furious or Game of the Thrones without getting mired in the mess JPop has created.

#7130 9 years ago

Round and round the preorder bush
The investors chase the weasel,
And when they ask for a refund of cash
JPop! goes the weasel.

A penny for a pop bumper cap
A penny for a pixel,
That's the way the money goes,
JPop! Goes the weasel.

A half a pound for cabinet design,
A half a pound for the hinges.
Mix it up and make it nice,
JPop! Goes the weasel.

Up and down the pinball show aisles,
In and out of the Eagle,
That's the way the money goes,
JPop! Goes the weasel.

I've no time to plead and pine,
But take the time to wheedle,
Kiss me quick and then I'm gone
JPop! Goes the weasel.

#7131 9 years ago
JPop.jpgJPop.jpg
#7132 9 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

It would be great for JPop and the buyers, but why would Stern step into this situation now? How would a deal even work? Clearly a partnership's not happening (see posts by Fast, Ice, and others that have tried to work cooperatively with JPop). So a straight sale of everything he's done so far, with Stern then finishing design/coding/production? Even if JPop would agree to that, would Stern really be willing to pay enough for whatever he's done so far to cover full refunds for all of the pre-order money already collected?
I just can't imagine Stern wanting to get involved when there's money to be made making Fast and Furious or Game of the Thrones without getting mired in the mess JPop has created.

Stern wont. Gary is a smart business man. He's not that stupid. The volume is not there to make it worth his while (god knows the legal and other mess).

At this point, "boutique pinball"; has been great for Gary. He gets a lot of crap at times here on Pinside, but he continues to prove he is one of the smartest in the room.

#7133 9 years ago

Pinside as much as anything enabled him to show off his shiny new business, created a fever and collect a ton of money. Pinside stuck with him and defended him for way longer than it should have - until just recently in fact. Pinside did not collectively change their mind until long after even JPop himself had to have known the project was in serious trouble. Now he is blaming Pinside for his downfall? Sorry, but Pinside reacted to the downfall, not the other way around. What balls on this guy.

#7134 9 years ago

Jpop got owned.
sphinxMeme.jpgsphinxMeme.jpg

#7135 9 years ago
Quoted from BrianZ:

Stern wont. Gary is a smart business man. He's not that stupid. The volume is not there to make it worth his while (god knows the legal and other mess).

But I wonder how many melons do they believe they will sell?

#7136 9 years ago
Quoted from BrianZ:

At this point, "boutique pinball"; has been great for Gary. He gets a lot of crap at times here on Pinside, but he continues to prove he is one of the smartest in the room.

The point is it looks like a good design and stern would not have to limit it to 15 machines. They could make 1500-2000 of them and make a lot of money. They wouldn't have to pay John, they would just have to give the 15 machines to the people who paid for them. It's pretty simple, at least in thought Egos tend to screw things up at the worst times though.

#7137 9 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Pinside as much as anything enabled him to show off his shiny new business, created a fever and collect a ton of money. Pinside stuck with him and defended him for way longer than it should have - until just recently in fact. Pinside did not collectively change their mind until long after even JPop himself had to have known the project was in serious trouble. Now he is blaming Pinside for his downfall? Sorry, but Pinside reacted to the downfall, not the other way around. What balls on this guy.

IMO, he's in denial.

#7138 9 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

The point is it looks like a good design and stern would not have to limit it to 15 machines. They could make 1500-2000 of them and make a lot of money. They wouldn't have to pay John, they would just have to give the 15 machines to the people who paid for them. It's pretty simple, at least in thought Egos tend to screw things up at the worst times though.

Which design are you referring to? There hasn't been a flipping whitewood yet, right? So aside from some cool artwork and theme what else is there? Stern would buy incomplete game designs? And do you think John considered BOM cost in his designs like Stern does? And how do the pre-order folks not feel screwed regardless since they were expecting a game with exclusivity and they paid significantly more than what Stern could sell them for.

No way this option happens despite it being a nice thought that someone would bail John out.

#7139 9 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

The point is it looks like a good design and stern would not have to limit it to 15 machines.

Even if Stern were to help out, I would expect JPOP to probably have unreasonable terms and end up shooting himself in the foot again...

#7140 9 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Even if Stern were to help out, I would expect JPOP to probably have unreasonable terms and end up shooting himself in the foot again...

Jersey Jack visited him just a couple of weeks ago. Not sure what all transpired but the net result was NO deal.

#7141 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Jersey Jack visited him just a couple of weeks ago. Not sure what all transpired but the net result was NO deal.

That says a lot right there, because if there was money to be made I would imagine JJP would have snagged it.

#7142 9 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

That says a lot right there, because if there was money to be made I would imagine JJP would have snagged it.

That was my take away. Jack isn't in the position to leave money on the table. So there is more going on than we realize.

#7143 9 years ago

I posted this in the private facebook group:

I spent 90 min on the phone with John today and I must say I went from total despair to somewhat hopeful! I still think these games can be built, John is working on a few things and I felt good about our conversation. I told him the same thing everyone else has been telling him Communicate with your owners & show your work to all.... Now is the worst possible time to cut off communication! I think he gets it but we shall see.

EOM

#7144 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

That is too bad. The JJP quality and JPOP design could have been a real winner. Looks like JPOP wants his cake and eat it too, instead of knowing when to call it quits, and to know when it's time to walk away. Maybe pride is getting in the way.

#7145 9 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

More than ever I think a deal with stern is his best, and possibly only, option. I know some of you don't agree but I don't see any other way his machines get built. Spooky pinball as a long shot possibility but not likely.

If Stern bails him out, they deserve a congressional medal of honor because they sure as hell won't make any profit out of it...

#7146 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

So there is more going on than we realize.

I dunno, I don't think it really takes more than we already know.

John wanted to build way too few games, for way too much money, and he wanted to reinvent the wheel on every part, requiring custom manufacturing and tooling every step of the way.

The hinges for instance, not something you can just order a bunch up of because they're standard, you have to send the prototype to the factory, have them build a one off duplicate to approve, and then set up the tooling so you, what? Order 100? The scale makes no sense, the investment makes no sense.

Maybe you ditch the hinges, no one cared anyways. But every part and bit might have the same mentality. Giant headaches and tons of cash. Not worth it.

#7147 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I spent 90 min on the phone with John today and I must say I went from total despair to somewhat hopeful! I still think these games can be built, John is working on a few things and I felt good about our conversation. I told him the same thing everyone else has been telling him Communicate with your owners & show your work to all.... Now is the worst possible time to cut off communication! I think he gets it but we shall see.

EOM

Thanks Concretehardt,

Unfortunately we could copy and paste your message and repost going back in this thread from many different authors.

The sad thing is he keeps talking about being "too busy" to update the net, but then we'll hear about one 90 minute call after the next. I've had those types of calls with him as well. He probably spends a lot of his day having long phone calls with just a few people.

#7148 9 years ago

EOM

What are the 5 phases of grief again? Oh yes, stage 1, denial.

#7149 9 years ago

Wow, after reading that e-mail/response, JPop just reminds me of Barton Fink.

#7150 9 years ago

EOM

oh and PS.... we can't continue with the "I had a great conversation, can't tell you what we talked about but I'm excited!"

I don't expect you to spill what John told you, but whatever he had to say he needs to spill his guts and turn this around (if it can be turned around).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 143 of 491.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6/page/143 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.