(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,471 posts
  • 928 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 174 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

streamberry (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,471 posts in this topic. You are on page 140 of 490.
#6951 8 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

'fun' is the eye of the beholder or I guess the player. But you are welcome to play mine at expo, or talk to those who have. The feedback as been very positive on it. Certainly not done with it yet. But to your point, the second game I was working on, when I finally got it to the point I could actually play it for real, vs a 'simulator', I was just not happy with it, the toys were great, and was pretty pleased with where the the dots and sounds were, but the overall play relative to the software was just "off" -- too much going on at the same time which confused things, and it needs some serious re-work -- but it does have cool toys.
This video of my first game is pretty old many things of changed, as this was while I was converting to the larger, color display, at some point you will see graphics from when it was standard DMD which will give you a sense of the difference. (plus the guy playing was stoned or drunk at the time). The return is also much nicer then this hacked together thing, having had a custom one made. I need to do an updated video and clearly I need to find an artist.
» YouTube video

Looks like a very fun layout and a code that is coming along very nicely. Some of the added touches (Mr. Postman music for the UPS part and Queen playing when you get on the board) are really nicely done.

Build thread?

#6952 8 years ago

I guess I should have one here, but you can see stuff on the pinballcontrollers.com website

http://www.pinballcontrollers.com/forum/index.php?board=47.0

and my second in progress game (well, you can see some protoypes of the toys as well as learn how to vacuum form stuff in your kitchen). . .

http://www.pinballcontrollers.com/forum/index.php?board=46.0

#6953 8 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

But to your point, the second game I was working on, when I finally got it to the point I could actually play it for real, vs a 'simulator', I was just not happy with it, the toys were great, and was pretty pleased with where the the dots and sounds were, but the overall play relative to the software was just "off" -- too much going on at the same time which confused things, and it needs some serious re-work -- but it does have cool toys.

Definitely an art to making it all gel together. We have really high expectations now as home players for sophisticated rule sets. When a new Stern comes out we're just as (if not more) interested in who the programmer is compared to the playfield designer or artist.

I'm not saying no one in this thread could do it. But it's just another big unknown.

#6954 8 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

'fun' is the eye of the beholder or I guess the player. But you are welcome to play mine at expo, or talk to those who have. The feedback as been very positive on it. Certainly not done with it yet. But to your point, the second game I was working on, when I finally got it to the point I could actually play it for real, vs a 'simulator', I was just not happy with it, the toys were great, and was pretty pleased with where the the dots and sounds were, but the overall play relative to the software was just "off" -- too much going on at the same time which confused things, and it needs some serious re-work -- but it does have cool toys.
This video of my first game is pretty old many things of changed, as this was while I was converting to the larger, color display, at some point you will see graphics from when it was standard DMD which will give you a sense of the difference. (plus the guy playing was stoned or drunk at the time). The return is also much nicer then this hacked together thing, having had a custom one made. I need to do an updated video and clearly I need to find an artist.
» YouTube video

Is that a modded Whirlwind layout?

#6955 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Definitely an art to making it all gel together. We have really high expectations now as home players for sophisticated rule sets. When a new Stern comes out we're just as (if not more) interested in who the programmer is compared to the playfield designer or artist.
I'm not saying no one in this thread could do it. But it's just another big unknown.

I will code any pin for $24,995!* C#, Python, ARM assembly? We're too crazy to care! Just pick your board set and let us do the rest! Ask about our no whitewood required virtual pin service.

Seriously though, if John actually had a completed design for MG and wanted to get it programmed it wouldn't be THAT difficult of an endeavor. He'd just have to spend the extra $200 a machine or so to use a P-Roc or Fast board set instead of some custom monstrosity and suddenly there's a large community of people who could handle the job (presumably after being paid up front.) I can unfortunately relate to being a perfectionist and not wanting to finish anything if you don't think it will be just right, but you need to be able to let go of that once you start taking money.

*One game per customer, some limits may apply, void where prohibited.

#6956 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

What if the only way we would ever see our pins was if :
MG was upped to 50
RAZA was upped to 250

Those numbers will have to be drastically increased to peak anyone's interest, whether it be third party manufacturers or investors. The only time Stern thinks it's worth while to do entire runs of pre-designed games with numbers that low is when they already have the license and the parts laying around the warehouse.

JPop is going to be under-water to get MG out the door. The owners know this, but they want their game anyway because JPop took their money and promised it to them. However, as there's no indication that JPop will be able follow through, this is a topic that may have to come up again with more serious numbers.

#6957 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I'm not saying it's easy, look JJP is still not building TH and MMR was 4-5 months late to ship. But that's one thing, but being 3-4 years into development and not even having a prototype to show is appalling.

It's beyond appalling. It's positively insane. The man clearly isn't playing with a full deck. There is simply no other explanation. No sane person would do what John has done.

#6958 8 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

He already is and has spoken about it for a long time now.

John Popadiuk lives in a magical world. - I mean that in the worst way.

Thanks for the response.

Well I know John has spoken previously implying that Stern should help out. So I am going to guess the real reason for that KISS machine he designed was to try to impress someone at Stern? Is there even a chance Stern would touch any of this?

There appears to be two distinct issues. Zidware money issues (vendors and refunds) and making Jpop games. Is there a single solution for both?

#6959 8 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Is that a modded Whirlwind layout?

No completely designed and built from scratch, and the playfield was hand routed with tools that I probably bought before a large percentage of the folks on this forum were born. If you go to the thread I posted some of that is covered there (the thread called "I don't need a stink cnc" focuses on the playfield routing). I also did an expo presentation on it, which you can listen to it as well as download a pdf of the slides via the links below, it is pretty long, but does give a good overview of what all is involved --

http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/expo2013/joshkugler.mp3

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8mfLC9vLbKAR2NXWjNULXpsQmc/edit?usp=drive_web

#6960 8 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

It's beyond appalling. It's positively insane. The man clearly isn't playing with a full deck. There is simply no other explanation. No sane person would do what John has done.

Wonder if he is on something?

#6961 8 years ago

Hey. I am done waiting on ... Anything. If I am first in line so be it, but the line is starting.

#6962 8 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

The point is there are some questions that need to be answered the main one is this. Where are all three machines at and what percentage of a completed machine do they represent in costs.

Yep, this is why I think its beyond repair at this point. Way too many unknowns and no telling how much shit is messed up with any software that might be done....or not.

Add in the fact that nobody knows if these pins even shoot well. They look great and all....

I don't get the feeling that Jack is thrilled or excited by what he's seen.

I'm concluding its just too much to F with.

A couple of my favorite lines from the movie COCKTAIL remind of our guy Jpop.

Coglan's law:

"The money's gone, the brain is shot. But the liquor, we still got." YES SIR, POUR ME ANOTHER ONE JOHN!

"When you see the color of their panties, you know you've got talent. Stick with me son and I'll make you a star." HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH JPOP, JUST LIKE IT!

"Think of the customer as a hurdler thinks of a hurdle: a means to an end. We dazzle him with ice work, we baffle him with bottle work." AKA JPOP THE BAFFLING DAZZLER

"There are many ways to fool a customer. The short pour. The long pour. The ice mountain, the spring thaw. The speed-rack shuffle, the hot shot." AKA THE JPOP ALABAMA SLAMMER

"Bury the dead, all they do is stink up the joint" TIME TO BURY THE JPOP EXPERIMENT

"...And as for the rest of Coughlin's Laws, ignore them. The guy was always full of Sh*t."

#6963 8 years ago

This drink is called an ADIOS MOTHERFUCKER, time to mix a pitcher of these up tonight

What You Need:

1/2 oz vodka
1/2 oz rum
1/2 oz tequila
1/2 oz gin
1/2 oz Blue Curacao liqueur
2 oz sweet and sour mix
2 oz 7-Up® soda
What to Do:

Take a chilled glass filled with lots of ice cubes (rocks) and pour all ingredients into the glass (except the 7’up soda).
Top it off with the 7-Up soda.
Gently stir and enjoy!
If there’s one drink that makes you forget all your worries, it’s this. A name so fitting for a drink that’s set to make you forget where half the night went. Wake up the next day and wonder where your wallet was. Then, spend the next week or so banging your head on the wall and punishing yourself for sheer stupidity. Hey, you gotta have those moments at least once in your life!

#6964 8 years ago

Pretty sure you are missing 1/2 oz bourbon and 1/2 oz scotch.

#6965 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

This drink is called an ADIOS MOTHERFUCKER, time to mix a pitcher of these up tonight
What You Need ...

You should change the thread title to "JPOP update thread ... now with drink recipes!"

#6966 8 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

If I was in on Magic Girl, I would drive over to Zidware with my wife's minivan and take delivery of one of these. You paid for one, you own one. I would ask for all of the parts he has related to the game, and off I would drive, never to allow JPop into my life again. I would figure it out from there. If 5 or 10 partial games are in his shop, that group of owners can figure out where to go next. Maybe for another $3K each, you can get some of the rarest completed games in history. Again, this is what I would do. If he did not cooperate, I would call the police while I was there and show my receipt (It worked with my ex-wife).

386835-i.jpg

Lol only another $3k each for 5 to 10 games to be complete??? Ya ok I'll cut the check for $30k give me 10 complete games... Cause $3k is all that's holding jpop back.... it's not that simple and his shits not close to done. There's not even finished production ramps in them

#6967 8 years ago

Pretty sure John is registering cocktailpinball.com even as we speak.

#6968 8 years ago

You forgot the best and possibly most appropriate Cocktail quote! "Everything ends badly, otherwise it wouldn't end."

#6969 8 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

» YouTube video

Very cool! Layout looks like a combination of Whirlwind and ToM.

#6970 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Pretty sure John is registering cocktailpinball.com even as we speak.

He can add it to the 20 other domains he owns, started working on and then left unfinished. Like http://pinball1977.com/

#6971 8 years ago

Just curious... Is he still working on the Pussycat Bowlers pin?

#6972 8 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

Just curious... Is he still working on the Pussycat Bowlers pin?

by now he's probably moved on to something else.

#6973 8 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

I will code any pin for $24,995!* C#, Python, ARM assembly? We're too crazy to care! Just pick your board set and let us do the rest! Ask about our no whitewood required virtual pin service.
Seriously though, if John actually had a completed design for MG and wanted to get it programmed it wouldn't be THAT difficult of an endeavor. He'd just have to spend the extra $200 a machine or so to use a P-Roc or Fast board set instead of some custom monstrosity and suddenly there's a large community of people who could handle the job (presumably after being paid up front.) I can unfortunately relate to being a perfectionist and not wanting to finish anything if you don't think it will be just right, but you need to be able to let go of that once you start taking money.
*One game per customer, some limits may apply, void where prohibited.

But wait! There's more!

You want ramps?! We can do ramps! OMG ramps! Ramps! RAMPS! Vacuum formed goodness!

Lol I couldn't resist. Good stuff!

I think the best thing about my experience with JPOP is all the new people I have met in the process, not to mention all of us who have been brought closer through shared experiences. Glass half full!

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#6974 8 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

I think the best thing about my experience with JPOP is all the new people I have met in the process, not to mention all of us who have been brought closer through shared experiences. Glass half full!

I'm impressed by attitudes like yours....I'm not sure I could be so chill about it if I was part of this situation. I've met tons of amazing pin friends, but it didn't cost me $10k+ to do so.

#6975 8 years ago

jpop_AFTN1.jpgjpop_AFTN1.jpg
jpop_AFTN2.jpgjpop_AFTN2.jpg

Pinball not finished? We must concentrate and try harder!
https://screen.yahoo.com/j-pop-talk-show-samurai-000000798.html

#6976 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm impressed by attitudes like yours....I'm not sure I could be so chill about it if I was part of this situation. I've met tons of amazing pin friends, but it didn't cost me $10k+ to do so.

Well at this point, I am only really out time. So it's certainly easier to look at the return on what the experience has cost me in a rosier way.

If I had anywhere near the hard money tied up in this as many other people do, I wouldn't be quite so positive.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#6977 8 years ago

If this does eventually end in bankruptcy I have a bad feeling that JPop would not be the type to let his IP go with the remnants of the company once he ceases to control the project. In other words he would dump his hard disks Hillary Clinton style and force the new owner to reverse engineer all the mechanical drawings and artwork based on what little has been released in the blogs.

#6978 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

If this does eventually end in bankruptcy I have a bad feeling that JPop would not be the type to let his IP go with the remnants of the company once he ceases to control the project. In other words he would dump his hard disks Hillary Clinton style and force the new owner to reverse engineer all the mechanical drawings and artwork based on what little has been released in the blogs.

I agree 100%. I could see John burning his studio to the ground in order to protect his creations....... you know, just so nobody steals his ideas.

QSS

#6979 8 years ago

Didn't the Contracts for Magic Girl games have an estimated delivery date around 2013? Has anyone explored the breach of contract route? Depending on the particular civil route, some statutes of limitation are approaching if pre-order money was paid in 2011.

http://www.kelleydrye.com/publications/articles/1507/_res/id=Files/index=0/1507.pdf

It seems to me the combination of the delay itself, coupled with ignoring requests for updates and refunds, would make it pretty straightforward to win a judgement. In fact, John is so flaky he probably wouldn't even respond or show up to contest it. If he goes BK, you'll be closer to the front of the line to get paid, and likely with far less red tape.

Anyone sent him a certified letter with return receipt demanding a refund?

#6980 8 years ago

#6981 8 years ago
Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

I agree 100%. I could see John burning his studio to the ground in order to protect his creations....... you know, just so nobody steals his ideas.

That would be really rich if there was a bankruptcy situation, and jpop was responsible with losing $1million of the pin communities money, and then destroys whatever assets he has rather than hand them over and let people try and recoup some of their money.

Not saying it couldn't happen, it's believable, that's the problem. That is the same problem we're dealing with today, he won't budge on any of his methods no matter how destructive.

#6982 8 years ago

Try this drink. THE THREE WISE MEN

1 oz Jim Beam
1 oz Johnny Walker
1 oz Jack Daniels

No JPOP

Add to ice. Drink and wince...

#6983 8 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

win a judgement.

Thats the easy part and costs $$$. Collecting the judgment is a whole new nightmare. It then becomes a question of throwing good money after bad.

Quoted from jonnyo:

Anyone sent him a certified letter with return receipt demanding a refund?

Yes, I did and simultaneously filed a complaint with the Illinois State Attorney General. Nothing but stonewalling since and I now envision him hunkered down in the Zidware Oval Office composing an enemy's list.

#6984 8 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I'm withdrawing my official complaint against Jpop and will excitedly continue on with Magic Girl and RAZA.

What happened with this?
Are you back on board the jpop stinks train?

#6985 8 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Thats the easy part and costs $$$. Collecting the judgment is a whole new nightmare. It then becomes a question of throwing good money after bad.

Collections are easy as long as you have a good crew. They need to be intimidating and visiting the home is step one. Visiting the relatives at their places of employment is next, usually two guys.

I collect. Some guys have to pay by the month , but then they get occasional contact until paid off.

No reason not to collect a debt. Jpop says no or won't refund - hire a collector.

What stops most people is they won't go there, all the way there. I will. Have repeatedly and have the judgments and $25 monthly checks to show for it.

That good money after bad argument separates the wolves and the sheep. Wolves eat, cost matters not.

Let me just say there are some people who really do a fine job collecting based out of Chicago . You can sell an "un collectable " debt to these guys also as long as you have name and address.

Besides, why should you not do something just because it's difficult?

Edit: transients are difficult to collect from. But people with wives and homes? Easy peasy.

#6986 8 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

#6987 8 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I now envision him hunkered down in the Zidware Oval Office composing an enemy's list.

His owners are also making a list and he is moving up on it fast!

#6988 8 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

What happened with this?
Are you back on board the jpop stinks train?

I appreciate your question but I'll have to let my recent comments speak for themselves. There are reasons for my flip flopping but I've embarrassed myself enough in this thread in doing so. - I hope at least a few here will understand. Thanks

#6989 8 years ago

From last year's chicago expo
http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/expo2014/johnpopadiuk.mp3

22:45 "Don't lie to your customers, tell them the truth even if it's not the best news" - or just ignore them

23:00 "I stay off pinside, I get flamed all the time" - Hmm, wonder why
23:12 "That's ok, it's a compliment" - In that case, read this compliment John. Finish your games, embrace help, stop being a control freak trying to tackle this project on your own!

32:18 "dale is our head engineering tech" - Dale fixes pinballs for joliet pinball
https://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play/the-chicago-street-pinball-arcade-joliet-il
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/dale-brown/a3/45a/a13

#6990 8 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Yes, I did and simultaneously filed a complaint with the Illinois State Attorney General. Nothing but stonewalling since and I now envision him hunkered down in the Zidware Oval Office composing an enemy's list.

Yes, but there are a few people in this for both RAZA and MG. I believe that's 25k? That's definitely worth going after, legal fees or not.

And if the concern is that legal fees for RAZA victims would make the matter impractical, then what about going the small claims route and suing for the maximum amount possible?

If Zidware goes bankrupt, creditors and judgments get paid first.

#6991 8 years ago

Btw, Illinois Small Claims limit is $10,000. One could probably get consultation to prepare the case for under 1k. Three certified letters demanding a refund is under $25. Court costs would be minimal. Maybe another $500 - 1k in travel. According to the Illinois Attorney General, these costs are eligible for reimbursement beyond the $10k.

Then sell or hire someone to collect the judgment.

More info: http://www.ag.state.il.us/consumers/smlclaims.html

#6992 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

If you remember, Aaron was also getting the verbal beat down not that long ago over this debacle. He turned it around with honesty, communication and apologies to those he offended. He did it with total class.

If only John would do the same.

#6993 8 years ago

Aaron is all class, like Charlie, Ben, Andrew and even Aurich

John is not. He's taken a salary, lived off of our money while time just slipped away.

The lack of communication shows an utter disrespect for us, a total lack of character and self awareness

Pinball Jpop is finished it looks like. Nice legacy John, looks like you are following SkitB right out the back door

#6994 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

John is not. He's taken a salary, lived off of our money while time just slipped away.
The lack of communication shows an utter disrespect for us, a total lack of character and self awareness
Pinball Jpop is finished it looks like. Nice legacy John, looks like you are following SkitB right out the back door

**Offensive post removed**

#6995 8 years ago

I can not believe that Jpop has yet to creat a new timeline for the Magic Girl owners or the RAZA owners; that just plain stinks

#6996 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

**Offensive post removed**

busted.jpgbusted.jpg

#6997 8 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

I can not believe that Jpop has yet to creat a new timeline for the Magic Girl owners or the RAZA owners; that just plain stinks

I can't believe he has yet to reveal either game, back at the end of 2014 it was claimed by John that MG was 95% complete.

This post is from 5 months ago

Quoted from iceman44:

Yes he <John> actually did say this, and MG is supposedly 95% done.

#6998 8 years ago

Jackie says the jpop'd crowd has a case.
ezgif.com-resize.gifezgif.com-resize.gif

#6999 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

He's taken a salary, lived off of our money while time just slipped away. The lack of communication shows an utter disrespect for us, a total lack of character and self awareness

If John cant see this thing thru and deliver games guess who is gunna get a beat down???? Me... when my wife finds out I lost $4750.00 on a pinball machine my ass is grass! I think my pinball days will be over especially with all the medical bills we have been struggling to get paid lately. I cant wait to have this conversation... Hey honey I just lost a shitload of money on a pinball machine because I am a dumbass!

#7000 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I sometimes forget that the pinball scene is such a small community. Even the people following this thread a just a microcosm of an already tiny community. There's probably a couple dozen people at most that even follows this train wreck. So I decided to take the conversation to him. He has a Pinball Inventor page on Facebook with around 1,500 followers that anyone can write on. If you tag John in your post it shows up on the feeds of everyone who follows it and all of his friends. I was surprised how many responses I got from people who had no idea this was happening.
JPOP where are you.JPGJPOP where are you.JPG

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!
Plastics
There are 24,471 posts in this topic. You are on page 140 of 490.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6/page/140 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.