(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,545 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,545 posts in this topic. You are on page 135 of 491.
#6701 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I don't know about that. Predator is the first time this has really been put to the test (complete failure where people are out thousands).
Every other bad thing, was just huge delays (WOZ, BBB), and even the original MM remake, as far as I know anyone who requested got their money back?
So we are in a new era for pinball with real losses. I don't think those will be easily forgotten.

Well his original premise was that John found a miracle and was somehow able to ship all the games. At that point he would have fallen into the "long delays with really shitty treatment" category.

#6702 9 years ago

Just caught up on the past ~400 posts...

SBJ.gifSBJ.gif

#6703 9 years ago

Can you imagine if a car dealer let you preorder a car 4 years ago, missed deadlines constantly and told you that you couldn't get your money back? Then their PR guy told you today it wouldn't be ready until 2017, as a JOKE?

No, you can't imagine that, because it's unbelievably stupid.

#6704 9 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Can you imagine if a car dealer let you preorder a car 4 years ago, missed deadlines constantly and told you that you couldn't get your money back? Then their PR guy told you today it wouldn't be ready until 2017, as a JOKE?

And the car dealer made you pay in full for the car when you ordered.

I think the same thing every time I read this thread.

The pinball preorder guys have been more than accommodating and patient with all the preorders.

Any other consumer item, there would be angry people lined up down the road with pitchforks and torches.

Imagine what would happen if Apple delivers its iwatch thing one day late ... There will be riots in the street.

rd.

#6705 9 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Can you imagine if a car dealer let you preorder a car 4 years ago

When the last car he made was over 15 years ago? Seems pretty crazy to me on both ends.

#6706 9 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Quoted from rotordave:

Any other consumer item, there would be angry people lined up down the road with pitchforks and torches.

That pretty much sums up this whole shitshow. It is only because pinball is such an insular hobby that these guys are able to get away with it.

If this were anything else besides pinball, this shit would be on 60 Minutes next week.

#6707 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I assumed he was stalling hoping for an angel to swoop in and buy him out.

Worked for Stern.

#6708 9 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Can you imagine if a car dealer let you preorder a car 4 years ago

Ferrari has a 3+ year waiting time.

Harley used to have a 3 year wait.

But 4 years? Hell no!

#6709 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I'm guessing they'll take your phone calls though?

#6710 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Worked for Stern.

Stern has a factory and a track record and an infrastructure and employees.

Jpop has none of these things.

#6711 9 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I think Popaduik allowing the most hated person on Pinside to do PR for him is easily the funniest thing I've seen here since the NuCore guys got caught using GPL code in their project.

Correction 4th most hated people on Pinside

1) Kevin
2) Jpop (AKA 'The Steve Jobs of Pinball')
3)Cogard
4)Kenida

(not sure if I missed anyone feel free to update the list)

#6712 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Stern has a factory and a track record and an infrastructure and employees.
Jpop has none of these things.

For what his is doing, he does not need any of those things.

#6713 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

But 4 years? Hell no!

For which car? Friend just bought one and it only took a month to get it with shipping. 3 year wait? On some not yet produced custom car?

#6714 9 years ago

It was over 3 years when I went to buy (dealers were telling you 2 years, as to not scare you off).

http://money.cnn.com/2014/09/12/autos/ferrari-production-rich/

#6715 9 years ago

The fact that "PR" was perceived to be even the slightest problem in the big picture is disturbing enough. Hitching one's horse in any way, shape or form to Kaneduh just shows a complete lack of any sense of reality.

Here is my PR plan: build a flipping prototype and concentrate 100% on MG until it is done and shipped - even if it ships with no software whatsoever. Someone will program on the consumer end.

#6716 9 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

The fact that "PR" was perceived to be even the slightest problem in the big picture is disturbing enough.

Problem: all these machines are 100% sold out and paid for, but are incomplete and late beyond measure

Solution: ramp up on marketing and PR

#6717 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Has anybody tried selling their pre-order spot?

I think there is a story behind the fact that more buyers are NOT trying to sell their pre-order spot.

Keeping my spot for RAZA even now thank you.

#6718 9 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

If this were anything else besides pinball, this shit would be on 60 Minutes next week.

"It really bothers me when these pinball designers don't deliver"

th-1.jpegth-1.jpeg

#6719 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Has anybody tried selling their pre-order spot?

Yes. Four months ago I found a buyer for Magic Girl. I had two buyers wanting it actually. In a comedy of errors it took Jpop 3.5 months to get the contract to the buyer I decided to go with. That would be 3.5 months of me calling and emailing Jpop to perform a simple task.

When the new buyer finally got the contract he didn't like the terms and expected me (as the seller) to go back to Jpop and negotiate the contract flaws. AFTER THREE AND A HALF MONTHS of me dealing with Jpop in Wonderland!!!

I politely declined, he misread one of my email comments and accused me of trying to scam him.

In the meantime, my other buyer bought someone else's Magic Girl spot. I'm not going to name anyone but both of them follow this thread.

#6720 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

"It really bothers me when these pinball designers don't deliver"
th-1.jpeg

Sorry but Andy Rooney would have had no opinion on Zidware.
From underground that is....

#6721 9 years ago

images.jpegimages.jpeg

#6722 9 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

I think there is a story behind the fact that more buyers are NOT trying to sell their pre-order spot.
Keeping my spot for RAZA even now thank you.

There's lots to be excited about, that's what keeps people in, that or they've given up (like me), but its not right that people who want out can't get out.

#6723 9 years ago

this thread is only 600 posts shy of the skit-b thread, that says something

#6724 9 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I expect this one to pass it in a less than a month frankly. The Skit-b thread is going to slow down while Kevin K basically hides under his bed not refunding people and the heat dies on him.

#6725 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Has anyone mentioned that the translite also has Robbie the Robot? Did he license that?

Was this ever cleared up?

I think Turner Enterprises owns the IP, since the authorize the sale of the life-size replica's.

#6726 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I expect this one to pass it in a less than a month frankly. The Skit-b thread is going to slow down while Kevin K basically hides under his bed not refunding people and the heat dies on him.

I tried to check in with the Predator thread and saw it was still people arguing about the definition of the word scam, and pointing fingers in some weird McCarthy witch hunt over the anonymous group. Keeping it drained.

#6727 9 years ago

You know..

The biggest fear I have right now is that this whole f'ing debacle will give CV a bad taste in my mouth. I'd hate to re-add that game to my collection, and then not be able to stop thinking about his attempts at making games.

#6728 9 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

You know..
The biggest fear I have right now is that this whole f'ing debacle will give CV a bad taste in my mouth. I'd hate to re-add that game to my collection, and then not be able to stop thinking about his attempts at making games.

Have 2 of his now & enjoy C.V most , & have had similar thoughts as yours occasionally ....... but I just let it go ultimately & say well those 3 of his back in the day are pretty good titles in some ways more than other ways but they have their place in Pinball no matter what happens ... tainted later if this all goes to pot , prob. not maybe the controversy makes em even more desirable in a twisted kind of way but C.V IMO is & always will be a great title

#6729 9 years ago

Cirqus Voltaire is the greatest pinball ever made. To me its the only obvious Masterpiece when it comes to pinball machines. I only see a Zidware pin having the potential to match it.

#6730 9 years ago

Where do I get that glowing orb mod!

#6731 9 years ago

When it comes to making PinGames JPOP doesn't fuck around!

#6732 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Where do I get that glowing orb mod!

Be careful with those plasma disc mod things if that's what your talking about .. I can only speak for what happened to me but I put one in my C.V & started having reset issues & then noticed it was out! .. took it out right then & so far no prob. after .... just sayin

#6733 9 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

When it comes to making PinGames JPOP doesn't fuck around!

Actually, Jpop has been fucking around a lot these past couple of years.

CV is pretty awesome. Can't agree it's the greatest pinball ever made.

#6734 9 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

This thread was close to a thousand posts ahead about 6 weeks ago, but I think it's definitely getting it's momentum back.

#6735 9 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

Cirqus Voltaire is the greatest pinball ever made.

Not even close.

#6736 9 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

Cirqus Voltaire is the greatest pinball ever made

Whhhhooooooh momma!!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#6737 9 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

and this one has had very little off topic, been pretty hardcore jpop the whole time.

#6738 9 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

Cirqus Voltaire is the greatest pinball ever made. To me its the only obvious Masterpiece when it comes to pinball machines. I only see a Zidware pin having the potential to match it.
» YouTube video

Damn that pin is sexy!

#6739 9 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

You know..
and then not be able to stop thinking about his catastrophic failure at making games.

Fixed it for ya.

QSS

#6740 9 years ago

Hey, we all have different tastes. I bet no very few people in this thread would agree on the greatest pinball of all time. If someone wants to think it's CV then hey, go for it.

I don't know anyone who would personally agree with that, I know I sure don't. It's not even a top 50 for me. Bombed when it came out, which is why you can still find nice ones that are HUO, snatched up at huge discounts from distributors who were eager to dump it.

Way overpriced now, but all the Jpop games are really. There's no gameplay behind the nice prices, just some pretties. TOM isn't too bad actually, you can get a fair price for that.

#6741 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

If John burns his buyers all I can say is that for his own safety he had better never show his face at any pinball related event ever again! His career and legacy will be toast.

I think his career and legacy is a pile ashes. He has no future and his legacy will be known as a failure. Only John can now change this. It's 100% in his own hands and up to him. Only John can save himself, no one else can save him.

So is John going to be know as a failure...... it's looking like a 99% chance at this point in time.

QSS

#6742 9 years ago

CV is definitely a top 100 pin.

As is this little beauty.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#6743 9 years ago

What's not to love about lengthy, non-skippable DMD animations?

#6744 9 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

CV is a great game - I have one and enjoy it very much - but it was made by Bally/Williams where John was employed as a designer in the 90's.

He may still be a great designer - but how are these designs ever going to be completed & manufactured? Cheerleading his past designs isn't going to make that happen, Strange.

#6745 9 years ago
Quoted from scott_freeman:

Was this ever cleared up?
I think Turner Enterprises owns the IP, since the authorize the sale of the life-size replica's.

IF Turner ever tried to pursue Jpop about it, Jpop would just ignore it and never return the call or email.

#6746 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Are you kidding... less than a week. I think there have been 100+ posts today.

#6747 9 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

» YouTube video

JPOP?

#6748 9 years ago

To be honest, when Jpop announced he was doing Magic Girl, I thought it was a brilliant idea. I was happy for him that they all sold out, immediately, then I wondered, will he be able to turn a profit on that?

I assumed that he would make a minor profit, but maybe on his second game, which would probably be 7 or 8 months later, that he'd make more and slowly build a pinball company.

How in the world he hasn't been able to even hand build some of these machines yet just blows my mind. There are 365 days in a year, he's went to work 1500 days or so since he took everybody's money and still hasn't delivered the first guy his game?

The craziest part, in my mind, is that this isn't somebody like Kevin who's just a loser with no talent... this is a guy who HAS talent, demonstrable talent.

You've got 4 hurdles you need to jump to pull this off.

1 . design a fun machine
2. source parts
3. physically assemble the machine
4. code the software

The hardest would be the 1st... he has that ability, so one of the biggest hurdles he's accomplished. The software is another HUGE hurdle, but you could hire someone to do that, or at least get a flipping game done. I would imagine there's people cable of it right here on pinside that may even donate their services to get it accomplished.

The second hurdle, sourcing parts, he seems to have also accomplished. He had playfields made, he had cabinets made, he had all kinds of strange gizmos built, he had a gentleman make him hundreds of custom PCB's. So that didn't prove to be an issue.

The other hurdle is physically building the game, which is THE EASIEST PART but yet he hasn't been able to pull it off!

So he can design the game which is very hard, he can source all the parts which is very hard, he could have hired a software guy but screwed it up, and has stumbled trying to build the games which is the easiest part of the whole damn thing.

Just so strange. So sad to see such a well respected designer lose his entire reputation over this.

#6749 9 years ago
Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

To be honest, when Jpop announced he was doing Magic Girl, I thought it was a brilliant idea. I was happy for him that they all sold out, immediately, then I wondered, will he be able to turn a profit on that?
I assumed that he would make a minor profit, but maybe on his second game, which would probably be 7 or 8 months later, that he'd make more and slowly build a pinball company.
How in the world he hasn't been able to even hand build some of these machines yet just blows my mind. There are 365 days in a year, he's went to work 1500 days or so since he took everybody's money and still hasn't delivered the first guy his game?
The craziest part, in my mind, is that this isn't somebody like Kevin who's just a loser with no talent... this is a guy who HAS talent, demonstrable talent.
You've got 4 hurdles you need to jump to pull this off.
1 . design a fun machine
2. source parts
3. physically assemble the machine
4. code the software
The hardest would be the 1st... he has that ability, so one of the biggest hurdles he's accomplished. The software is another HUGE hurdle, but you could hire someone to do that, or at least get a flipping game done. I would imagine there's people cable of it right here on pinside that may even donate their services to get it accomplished.
The second hurdle, sourcing parts, he seems to have also accomplished. He had playfields made, he had cabinets made, he had all kinds of strange gizmos built, he had a gentleman make him hundreds of custom PCB's. So that didn't prove to be an issue.
The other hurdle is physically building the game, which is THE EASIEST PART but yet he hasn't been able to pull it off!
So he can design the game which is very hard, he can source all the parts which is very hard, he could have hired a software guy but screwed it up, and has stumbled trying to build the games which is the easiest part of the whole damn thing.
Just so strange. So sad to see such a well respected designer lose his entire reputation over this.

Seems I've read something similar before, just not sure where

#6750 9 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

Cirqus Voltaire is the greatest pinball ever made.

It was such a hit, they could hardly give them away when they first came out. But at least there wasn't much of a wait if you wanted one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

There are 24,545 posts in this topic. You are on page 135 of 491.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6/page/135 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.