(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,544 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 124 of 491.
#6151 9 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Why doesn't Iceman get on a plane and visit Popaduik in person?
That's the only way to confront him. Too easy to ignore emails, phone calls, etc.

Zidware's door is locked. He does not have to let anyone in.

#6152 9 years ago

** Warning - Opinion pulled right outta my hind end **

About Stern bailing any boutique out:

If I'm someone at Stern, I am not going to lift a finger to help bail out any boutiques. Short term they may make a few dollars, but long term they benefit from people having an inherent distrust of the small guy.

Skit-B failed. If John fails completely, they have everything they need to legitimately say, "Are you sure you want to tie up $8000 indefinitely? Or would you like to buy this machine that's available today?"

Why would they want the message to be, "It's OK, if you buy a competitor's machine and don't get it, we'll pick up the pieces." ???

#6153 9 years ago
Quoted from dkpinball:

If I'm someone at Stern, I am not going to lift a finger to help bail out any boutiques. Short term they may make a few dollars, but long term they benefit from people having an inherent distrust of the small guy.
Skit-B failed. If John fails completely, they have everything they need to legitimately say, "Are you sure you want to tie up $8000 indefinitely? Or would you like to buy this machine that's available today?"
Why would they want the message to be, "It's OK, if you buy a competitor's machine and don't get it, we'll pick up the pieces." ???

interesting point. If this should fail, I think the resounding question would be "Who would ever preorder for $8K plus ever again?"

Chris

#6154 9 years ago

Stern, Heighway and JJP are going to steer clear of this mess. They didn't make it, they'd only enter a world of pain.

Better to let it die and buy a patent if they wanted. But even those patents don't seem that valuable, not sure if anyone is dying to make deep cabinet pinball.

Like Ice, I could think of a few paths to success even today, so it doesn't have to be over, but John is so dug in he is beyond help.

#6155 9 years ago
Quoted from dkpinball:

About Stern bailing any boutique out:

I worked for a company that our main competitor approached us with an offer to sell to us. They were in $$$$ trouble. Our response was " Why buy you out? If we wait long enough we will get your customers for free"

Remeber what Gary said once..........come on in.........the waters cold.

#6156 9 years ago
Quoted from dkpinball:

If John fails completely, they have everything they need to legitimately say, "Are you sure you want to tie up $8000 indefinitely? Or would you like to buy this machine that's available today?"

I think the message would be "If people are willing to risk between $8-$17k for a pinball that doesn't exist, surely we can start charging $20k for our premium that does!"

#6157 9 years ago
Quoted from Trekie:

Remeber what Gary said once..........come on in.........the waters cold.

And Jack did... and has done pretty darn well.

Difference is Jack ran a preexisting business. He knew what it would take to conquer such a mountain and did it. (not without plenty of stumbles and falls but he did it!)

I was in the early WOZ production batch. Had some issues with the machine, ALL of which were taken care of professionally and personally by Jack and his team. Absolutely NO issue of wondering where I stood. I'd buy from Jack again anytime.

John on the other hand.... is creating a disaster for future consumer faith and trust. Once this is over and done, come good or come bad, I'm TOTALLY DONE dealing with John Popadiuk EVER again.

#6158 9 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

And Jack did... and has done pretty darn well.
Difference is Jack ran a preexisting business. He knew what it would take to conquer such a mountain and did it. (not without plenty of stumbles and falls but he did it!)

No offense, but Jack has not conquered anything. I'm glad he delivered WOZ's to those who put money on the line years in advance (despite the BS they had to put up with including the 75th Ruby Red edition). However, he still has to deliver a bunch of THLE's as well to a lot of customers who have also put money on the line years in advance.

JJP has to be deep in the red at this point. DEEP. Seriously, if I had money in on a pre-order right now I would be seriously concerned. JJP had enormous startup costs. They endured the board issues and whatever costs were associated. They endured the lengthy delays to getting a game out the door. There is a reason they desperately needed an outside investor to step in. Unfortunately for them (and the new investor) it has been the same story with Hobbit. We're at almost a full year delay from when it was originally targeted for delivery (July 2014.) It costs a lot of money to keep paying for a large factory and for the workers (and everything else.)

Who still believes game #3 from JJP will ship in 2015? Do you really think JJP can afford to manufacture and ship #3 (cutting into Hobbit sales to boot) in 2015? JJP is likely the next major fiasco for pinball on the horizon IMHO.

#6159 9 years ago

No because he keeps getting pre order money and he also has been the largest distro for PPS . JJp has money .

#6160 9 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

No offense, but Jack has not conquered anything. I'm glad he delivered WOZ's to those who put money on the line years in advance (despite the BS they had to put up with including the 75th Ruby Red edition). However, he still has to deliver a bunch of THLE's as well to a lot of customers who have also put money on the line years in advance.
JJP has to be deep in the red at this point. DEEP. Seriously, if I had money in on a pre-order right now I would be seriously concerned. JJP had enormous startup costs. They endured the board issues and whatever costs were associated. They endured the lengthy delays to getting a game out the door. There is a reason they desperately needed an outside investor to step in. Unfortunately for them (and the new investor) it has been the same story with Hobbit. We're at almost a full year delay from when it was originally targeted for delivery (July 2014.) It costs a lot of money to keep paying for a large factory and for the workers (and everything else.)
Who still believes game #3 from JJP will ship in 2015? Do you really think JJP can afford to manufacture and ship #3 (cutting into Hobbit sales to boot) in 2015? JJP is likely the next major fiasco for pinball on the horizon IMHO.

Keep ur Jjp crap on a Jjp thread...jacks not going anywhere and the factory is a quarter the size of what stern does. Less overhead... In other words u don't have money on hobbit so don't worry about it...pats game is right on the heals of hobbit

#6161 9 years ago

Back to jpop...

Even though he's most likely broke or going that way... Why the hell not show a populated real art game... It's sitting there we all know it.. Even if it's not working or missing a few parts just show the awesome already

#6162 9 years ago
Quoted from Gorf:

Time to start preparing to go to court and sue this guy for fraud.
Embezzlement is a kind of property theft. It occurs when a defendant, who was entrusted to manage or monitor someone else’s money or property, steals all or part of that money or property for the defendant’s personal gain. The key is that the defendant had legal access to another’s money or property, but not legal ownership of it. Taking the money or property for the defendant’s own gain is stealing; when combined with the fact that this stealing was also a violation of a special position of trust, you have the unique crime of embezzlement. Nuff Said.

Just my personal opinion based on some educated guesses, not a legal opinion on which anyone can rely:

You won't find embezzlement when you do a tracing of his accounts. You'll find he paid himself a salary (my guess is around 100k per year plus expenses). His legal defense basically be he was incompetent to do the task but not in bad faith. He will say he had no contract limiting his salary and based on his crazy hours and experience his salary was reasonable.

I don't see anyone getting criminal charges to stick on JPop, he has too many defenses (the incompetency defense is a good one against a bad faith argument). Just my personal opinion.

#6163 9 years ago

Stupid place to argue about JJP. He is building and delivering pins. JPOP is not. To my dismay.

#6164 9 years ago

JPOP is not bad faith. It's not criminal. But its "criminally" incompetent.

#6165 9 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

I agree with this completely.

To say that Jack jumped in to the "cold water" that Gary was talking about and "has done pretty darn well" is not something that can said with any degree of certainty at all. I am not talking about how well JJP did (or didn't) with the actual manufacture of WoZ and getting it to customers, I am talking about making pins and turning a healthy profit, which I am sure is what Gary was referring to.

Clearly JJP had a decent amount of capital to get things rolling, but I agree that the costs involved in doing so have been very high, and I would be very surprised if JJP isn't still well within the red. Which makes the delays with Hobbit a bit surprising, as you'd think they'd be all over that to get them out the door to generate additional cash flow. I doubt that they are selling a ton of new WOZs at this point.

Well...that was off topic.

#6166 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Keep ur Jjp crap on a Jjp thread...

A bit off topic but not as much as one would think. The topic being pinball startups finding it VERY difficult to turn a profit.

I sincerely hope that if and when JJP's current run ends that you will be revealed as the disgusting shill you have constantly served to be.

The fact is a lot of startups (including JJP) are finding pinball manufacturing to be a VERY difficult business to make a profit in. Sadly, the pattern is showing repeatedly that those who ask questions are shouted down and random buffoons like yourself who think they're such good friends of the various proprietors act out of stupidity as shills despite having zero common sense in regards to financials.

#6167 9 years ago

Dude relax that's a bit harsh. Agree it's taking long and that burns money but let's keep this thread focused on jpop and hope we don't have to have a similar one again for now.

#6168 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Well...that was off topic.

You should sign up for a new account when trying to make the Jpop thread about JJP. PM Pinchili, he can tell you how to do it

#6169 9 years ago

Guys, no need to make this personal. And really, no need to drag Jack into this. John has enough drama as it is to support a drama thread, don't you think?

#6170 9 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I think the message would be "If people are willing to risk between $8-$17k for a pinball that doesn't exist, surely we can start charging $20k for our premium that does!"

19 buyers at $17k does not make a market.

#6171 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

We need an "I've Been Jpop'd" t-shirt to wear at shows now.

Maybe with your title and this image, we've got a winner

QSS

#6173 9 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

19 buyers at $17k does not make a market.

As an observer (no skin in the game), is this number accurate?

#6174 9 years ago
Quoted from Wahnsinniger:

It represents a portion of the money sent to JPOP years ago, with at this point no games in sight.

I have read the total amount over the multiple games is over a million.

#6175 9 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

It represents a portion of the money sent to JPOP years ago, with at this point no games in sight.

Let's ease back on the dramatics here! There are games in sight (see pic) there maybe no code in sight but there are games in sight.
image.jpgimage.jpg

#6176 9 years ago
Quoted from Wahnsinniger:

The dollar figure is, but I think it's supposed to be more than 19 now right? I can't keep track of how the edition has been expanded though.

#6177 9 years ago

It's 16K each and he has collected from 19 people. Additional buyers are on a waiting list with nothing invested. Total limited to 50. At this time...

#6178 9 years ago

the thing that has bothered me about the pic of those machines is that stuff seems to be out of wack from each other. that ramp especially. I know they are prototypes but man it just gets me

#6179 9 years ago
Quoted from Bonnevil69:

the thing that has bothered me about the pic of those machines is that stuff seems to be out of wack from each other. that ramp especially. I know they are prototypes but man it just gets me

Were there ever white woods of this game? I don't think so...so these are working protos without code??? Hmm? My guess is that these are going to be orders 1-3 at some point.

#6180 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Let's ease back on the dramatics here! There are games in sight (see pic) there maybe no code in sight but there are games in sight.
image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Close up public pics of these would only help the guy.. To find investors, to do something other then treat his customers like shit

#6181 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Close up public pics of these would only help the guy..

Agreed!

#6182 9 years ago

Jpop must be afraid joe Balcer will steal his layout lol
It's going to take two more years at this rate... He has to hide the design so no one copies it in his mind

#6184 9 years ago

Anyone going to confront him at Michigan expo or just ball lap him?

#6185 9 years ago

It would be a fascinating scenario if the owners got together and hired a programmer after the game was delivered with little code. A physical game delivered without much code but open to code mods would be way better than no game at all. We all know the art will be outstanding.

Maybe that would be something the pre-buyers should group together and discuss with John to get something for their hard earned money.

#6186 9 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

It would be a fascinating scenario if the owners got together and hired a programmer after the game was delivered with little code. A physical game delivered without much code but open to code mods would be way better than no game at all. We all know the art will be outstanding.
Maybe that would be something the pre-buyers should group together and discuss with John to get something for their hard earned money.

No way. Full game or full refund. All or nothing.

#6187 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

No way. Full game or full refund. All or nothing.

I had that mindset too, but trust me, you'd rather have the game. The latter isn't an option...

Pred #50

#6188 9 years ago

I'd rather bankrupt him if it came to it. Who wants a pretty boat anchor?

#6189 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I'd rather bankrupt him if it came to it. Who wants a pretty boat anchor?

It would not be a boat anchor if the owners got together and had some code done the way they want it to be done. Bankrupting John does not appear to be a good end result for the pre-buyers as they would end up with nothing. At least with delivering a game lacking programming there would be the possibility of modding the game to have good code.

I am certainly not on John's side, but am merely trying to be realistic of what could be salvaged so that everyone gets the most possible of what is left. Iceman obviously has lost hope so that should tell people things are not looking rosy at the moment.

#6190 9 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

It would be a fascinating scenario if the owners got together and hired a programmer after the game was delivered with little code.

This would really depend on the hardware platform. I'm doubtful the source code would be made available, so you'd really be starting from scratch.

#6191 9 years ago

I’m pretty creative at problem solving and I’m fairly knowledgeable about business and finance. So yesterday I spent some time Googling crowdfunding and taxes. I need to verify this with my CPA but I like what I found. In brief, losing money in a crowdfunding deal is a legal tax deduction just like any investment loss. And for any tax bracket.

Here are two notable paragraphs cut and pasted.

"The Tax Implications of Equity Crowdfunding in the U.S.
Crowdfunding is a term used often in the startup space. Depending on the context in which it is used, it refers broadly to crowd-sourcing donations, securing financial contributions for a start-up in exchange for perks, pre-sale of a development-stage product in order to finance production, or a general solicitation for the sale of equity interest in a startup organization

"B. Capital Losses
Capital losses are realized when an equity stake in a company is sold for less than its original purchase price or the company in question declares bankruptcy. The shareholder can write off short or long-term capital losses, depending on the life of the organization in question or the duration for which the shares were held. Short and long-term are measured by the same standards for losses as they are for gains.
If capital loss is greater than net capital gain in a given year, up to $3,000 of the net loss can be offset against regular income in order to reduce tax exposure. If your capital loss exceeds $3,000 or your taxable income without the capital loss deduction is less than zero, you may carry the deduction over to the next year. Capital gains and losses should be reported on Schedule D of IRS Form 1040

You can read the entire article here. http://www.lawforchange.org/NewsBot.asp?MODE=VIEW&ID=6362

Now I don’t want Jpop to go tits up on this. My first choice at this point would be a refund so I can get off this roller coaster. My second choice would be delivery of a fully functional machine. But as a disaster recovery I see great satisfaction here.

As always, I never mind being proven wrong and I love to learn. So please feel free to dispute my findings. - Any CPA’s have a clue here?

#6192 9 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

just like any investment loss.

The million dollar question, and I'm guessing the IRS would call it a non-deductible personal expense.

#6193 9 years ago

I haven't a clue about that and always depend on my CPA for the fine print details.

Edit/Add: In re-reading the description of crowdfunding, I don't think so. It seems to be treated as an investment.

Quoted from Mr68:

it refers broadly to crowd-sourcing donations, securing financial contributions for a start-up in exchange for perks, pre-sale of a development-stage product

#6194 9 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

As always, I never mind being proven wrong and I love to learn. So please feel free to dispute my findings. - Any CPA’s have a clue here?

I'm curious about this as well. I wonder if you had a machine on rout already and were planning on putting this one on rout if that would change the status . . . (clearly it would be pretty wild to put a 17k machine on rout . . . but who knows, Kingpin is on rout right now and it is a 40k machine).

#6195 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I'm curious about this as well. I wonder if you had a machine on rout already and were planning on putting this one on rout if that would change the status . . . (clearly it would be pretty wild to put a 17k machine on rout . . . but who knows, Kingpin is on rout right now and it is a 40k machine).

Where? That one's rare enough that finding it on route would be a trip.

#6196 9 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Where? That one's rare enough that finding it on route would be a trip.

Vegas. PHOF.

#6197 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

King pins more then 40k, at least the one I sold was

#6198 9 years ago

How have I missed this? I was just there for the PAC12 tournament, but wasn't able to make it to PHOF this time. Guess I have to find another reason to go to Vegas. Oh darn. :rolleyes:

#6199 9 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

How have I missed this? I was just there for the PAC12 tournament, but wasn't able to make it to PHOF this time. Guess I have to find another reason to go to Vegas. Oh darn. :rolleyes:

Might not have been on the floor?

#6200 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Might not have been on the floor?

So do I need a secret handshake to put a few games on it?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 124 of 491.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6/page/124 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.