(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,471 posts
  • 928 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 174 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

streamberry (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,471 posts in this topic. You are on page 105 of 490.
#5201 9 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

JPop is in this position because nobody can wrangle him.

^^^Bingo^^^

#5202 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

LMAO, what a horrible moment for me to post in here...right after that post. Ha!

LOL...pretty funny.

#5203 9 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Hey just noticed approaching 2 million points ........I talk or write too much And yes this is a shot at all those approaching 15 million plus!

#5204 9 years ago

It's an illness!

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#5205 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Ice has a good amount of financial sophistication and transactional experience.

Many of us here do.

Quoted from TigerLaw:

If JPop lets him Ice can help...of this I have no doubt.

Agreed.

Quoted from TigerLaw:

Will JPop let Ice help him? Who knows but of course Ice is going to be optimistic about it.
Optimism is the only way to approach situations like these with struggling projects if you want them to see the light.

There's optimism and then there's bravado. Ice made the statement that this *would* get done regardless of whether John wanted his help or not. That statement alone is enough to scare someone who is generally paranoid (I think those are Ice's words) and causing him to shy away. Diplomacy is key to this situation as no one can control John. The situation must be handled in a delicate manner and not via bold statements IMO. If I wanted to try and help John I wouldn't share any info here that he gave me right away. Whoever works with him needs to build trust. The more trust you build to more John would be willing to work with that person. I've been involved in somewhat hostile takeovers (hostile may be a bit too dramatic but easy to understand the general sentiment) and managed to turn them into a positive working business situation that made good money.

I would have handled it differently but I'm not going to do it. So again, kudos to Ice and Kim for trying. Kim isn't posting inside info here and is generally being very quiet about the situation. This, I believe, is the better way to handle it until someone needs to use a nuclear option.

#5206 9 years ago

I don't think it's that Popaduik is a nice person. I think he's a POLITE person who isn't actually very nice.

Talking to former WMS co-workers of his is enlightening. I recommend you ask them about Popaduik next Chicago Expo.

#5207 9 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

If I wanted to try and help John I wouldn't share any info here that he gave me right away. Whoever works with him needs to build trust.

This kind of secrecy and pussyfooting around is a) what allows John to be in control and b) what enrages pinside about this entire project.

#5208 9 years ago

Thanks for the kind words and prayers guys about the family friend. They do have a great support group.

As for John, I have been a huge vocal supporter of his over the years and I've ripped him apart as well, and we laughed and talked about all that last night as part of the 2 hour talk. He knows I'm a straight shooter that will ride his ass and give him props where it's deserved.

I tell him like it is, which he needs, and I think he appreciates it. He knows it's not personal

We talked about several different options and strategies. And yes, I've got to see the financial situation in order to help and he knows that.

We talked about production and those potential partners to get these games out. I'm pretty sure you guys can figure that one out.

So stay tuned. A lot more to come soon

#5209 9 years ago

No refunds available at this time. Sorry, that's the state of affairs right now

That could change as things develop

#5210 9 years ago

Does that mean he can't issue refunds or won't?

#5211 9 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

This kind of secrecy and pussyfooting around is a) what allows John to be in control and b) what enrages pinside about this entire project.

That's a good point but I didn't say keep everything secret forever. It's extremely difficult to get people to change their ways when you have zero control over them. You have to build trust.

#5212 9 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

Does that mean he can't issue refunds or won't?

Not that he won't, he can't in large numbers, one guy gets it and he has to do it for everybody and creates a run on a bank that is already broke enough.

He needs to get production going on MG and he knows it, asap, that brings in other interest and money and should allow people to get out if they want to.

All we can do now is hang in there.

#5213 9 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

That's a good point but I didn't say keep everything secret forever. It's extremely difficult to get people to change their ways when you have zero control over them. You have to build trust.

I guess I've already built trust then.

#5214 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Not that he won't, he can't in large numbers, one guy gets it and he has to do it for everybody and creates a run on a bank that is already broke enough.

How much is broke enough?

#5215 9 years ago
Quoted from limelime20:

How much is broke enough?

Don't know exactly yet but he is going to need to bring things together to the point where he is able to collect the remaining amounts owed on MG and RAZA.

There's a whole lot of remaining payments due to collect in the future.

It's not like Kevin where the bulk of his money has been collected. 30 more MG pins at 17k, if he can get it and a big % of RAZA is still due.

#5216 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

He needs to get production going on MG and he knows it, asap, that brings in other interest and money and should allow people to get out if they want to.
All we can do now is hang in there.

Well as hard is it must have been for him to acknowledge that, I have to respect that he was forthcoming. That is a much better approach than ignoring the problem. Good for you to be able to make headway on that front Ice.

#5217 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

There's a whole lot of remaining payments due to collect in the future.

Along those lines... what about payments owed to vendors?

#5218 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

30 more MG pins at 17k, if he can get it

If he can demonstrate he can get it made, I think he can. Hell I'm still tempted. Maybe if John signs a personal guarantee, then I'd be down.

#5219 9 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Along those lines... what about payments owed to vendors?

I think there are some legitimate issues to be sorted out on what is actually owed for services performed. There is always two sides to the story.

I'd like to help him manage his cash flow and resolve some of the issues with vendors so he can concentrate on making a pinball machine.

There are plenty of unhappy vendors so I'm not saying he's right or wrong, I think part of it is he's trying to do everything himself and is probably not organized with all the invoices and such. That needs to get fixed obviously.

#5220 9 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

If he can demonstrate he can get it made, I think he can. Hell I'm still tempted. Maybe if John signs a personal guarantee, then I'd be down.

If we can put together the best "production partner" and the numbers are still doable then yeah it could work! Might have to do some things to make it viable for that production partner.

I think for ALL parties concerned, John needs to have kind of a "trust fund/escrow" account of some sorts for future monies coming in to give people confidence that those monies will go towards getting pin made, guaranteed.

Another thing he needs to delegate and not have to focus on.

#5221 9 years ago

That's really cool that he's talking with iceman about the details. It's a shame he doesn't have a business partner that's good with the financials that could help him navigate this, it's not rocket science but when you've never ran a business I can see where it would be daunting to creative types.

He needs to get that first one banged out, and he needs to be really open about what's going on, people will still support him if they can see clear progress being made and an end goal within sight. When you just clam up or even worse outright lie about what's going on it really alienates your clients... and the saddest part is, almost all of the clients are massive Popadiuk fans or they wouldn't have gotten in, in the first place!

#5222 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

getting pin made, guaranteed.

There you go. That route will get traction. In light of skitb, I can't imagine anyone putting money in on something unsecured.

With John protected by the LLC, he has no skin in the game other than his time and if true, unpaid salary. These manufacturers need skin in the game. Why shouldn't they, you guys do.

#5223 9 years ago

I'm not seeing anyone lining up to hand over cash unless somebody else who is trustworthy is building these machines. No surprise he has spent it all by now. There is a LOT more expense to go before anything is shipped. There is also the matter of his lawyer coming on pinside and claiming there is NO shortage of cash. But I guess at this point we have to get over being lied to by multiple parties.

#5224 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

No refunds available at this time. Sorry, that's the state of affairs right now
That could change as things develop

Quoted from iceman44:

Wait a minute...

Quoted from StevenP:

As for refunds, there IS a waitlist and for the most recent request he received, he processed it in a reasonable time, sending paperwork, then sending papers to the waitlister so he could get the new deposit and refund the original buyer.

Quoted from StevenP:

It's not vaporware and there is no cash crunch--far from it.

Quoted from StevenP:

no, there is NO cash crunch

So who is telling the truth here?

#5225 9 years ago
Quoted from woodworker:

Wait a minute...

My money is on the Iceman.

rd.

#5226 9 years ago
Quoted from woodworker:

Wait a minute...

It's definitely not Zidware or anyone who gets paid by Zidware.

#5227 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

My money is on the Iceman.
rd.

From my conversations with Ice, I believe he is a realist....not a sugar coating type when things get serious.

#5228 9 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

From my conversations with Ice, I believe he is a realist....not a sugar coating type when things get serious.

Oh yeah.

And he pays his beer bets too. That gets high marks from me.

rd.

#5229 9 years ago

Not doubt Ice is a straight shooter........Just what this pinball project needs as JPOP appears to be anything but that. I have a feeling many more machines will need to be added to the production schedule to pull this off.

#5230 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I think there are some legitimate issues to be sorted out on what is actually owed for services performed. There is always two sides to the story.
I'd like to help him manage his cash flow and resolve some of the issues with vendors so he can concentrate on making a pinball machine.

You could possibly understand a 'two sides' discussion if it were just a single contractor or vendor, but as mentioned here there are multiple contractors and vendors with unpaid invoices going back a long time. The common link is pretty obvious. Without a resolution to all this, i don't see why any future contractors, programmers, vendors would get involved

#5231 9 years ago
Quoted from woodworker:

Wait a minute...

Considering how much ice believed in this project , I'm sure it wasn't easy for him to come to that conclusion. I have no doubt if there was any glimmer that would have given him reason to believe otherwise he would have never said the things you quoted. I'm not saying stevenp is wrong. I'm saying if he took john's answers at face value and ice dug deeper then one could understand the dichotomy between the dueling lawyers, lol.

#5232 9 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I have a feeling many more machines will need to be added to the production schedule to pull this off.

I think that feeling is right on. Not the best scenario obviously and would piss people off but in the long run, it may be the only way to financially make this work with "production partners". There could be other options too. Maybe some kind of "pro version" would have to be an option, I'm just speculating I haven't seen the numbers or talked to production guys yet. John is in the process of having those initial discussions.

Quoted from applejuice:

Without a resolution to all this, i don't see why any future contractors, programmers, vendors would get involved

Because just like with the vendors, John needs to rebuild trust with his "owners". That comes with financial certainty, escrow accounts, 3rd party accounting, etc. Not that difficult to achieve and turn around imo.

StevenP is an IP lawyer and has done a lot for John in that arena to date along with being a friend and supporter along the way. Really great guy.

I'm just a whole different animal, as a CPA, lawyer and financial advisor I know I can help us in the areas that John really needs help right now, budgets, financial clarity and certainty and negotiating deals with 3rd parties. I'm very creative in putting deals together, represented many buyers and sellers on both sides of the transaction. And I'm very tough and direct, we don't have time to waste here.

And the best thing about all of that is I'm a cheap date, I'm free.

We need to get vendors, customers and potential partners all comfortable with how they are going to get paid, how customer money is going to be handled towards a game plan and negotiating workable deals with "partners".

Actually, it shouldn't be that difficult, that part. I hope John has/can get the pinball part ready.

#5233 9 years ago

Would everybody feel better if you could cut a deal with Stern, or Jack or another party to get these pins on a "production line"?

And if monies are going to be sent in to John in the future for these pins there is some accountability and adherence to a budget and timeline that includes outside help? I think we could all agree that John needs that right?

#5234 9 years ago

Iceman: Good work Doug. Your recent updates lead me to believe you have a better foothold with Jpop than I thought. I will follow up with you privately in a few days. Right now I just wanted to give you some public acknowledgment from the group. Thanks.

#5235 9 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

And they called me crazy. Kidding There is no way I would give this guy any money unless he had them already made and for sale.

I wish you guys luck

#5236 9 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

And they called me crazy. Kidding There is no way I would give this guy any money unless he had them already made and for sale.
I wish you guys luck

You know you want that AIW!

#5237 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Would everybody feel better if you could cut a deal with Stern, or Jack or another party to get these pins on a "production line"?

So.... John taking over that space next door, busting a hole in the wall, setting things up for "production", was that all bullshit as well?

Does he not have the capability to build these things? Is that where we are?

I am so sick of the lies and bullshit. The only thing different between this and skit-b is he doesn't have a billion dollar company breathing down his neck. But it seems like almost everything he says or claims is complete BS. He tells us whatever he thinks we need to hear to buy some more time, and on and on we go.

I realize, Ice, you're doing your best to change this pattern, but I can only take so many lies for so long. And fine, he may be lying to himself more than us, he may be in over his head, he may not have known what he was in for when he started this, this is the same thing we're saying about skit-b this week.

#5238 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

This video makes me think of all those who "really want the cheese" still today. Replace "cheese" with AIW.

https://vimeo.com/35161322

#5239 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I want a AIW also, but not from John and not at $10,000 or whatever the hell he's asking.

#5240 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Yes I do but I think there is a better chance of me building it than JPoop. I hope you guys get your games, I really do, but from what I am reading he has spent most of the money and has close to nothing to show for it other than bills from venders that he wont pay. Im not anywhere near your league Ice but having run my own business for 20 years I know when something is very wrong. If anyone can get this fiasco figured out I think you can.

I hope we can get meet up at the TXPF next week.

Good luck

#5241 9 years ago

Crazy idea here, BUT...

At this price point he could convert the game to a P3 title. It's $4k on top of the P3 and the majority of the "usual stuff" would be done already. The programming platform is rich and I'd guess that there would possibly be support from miultimorphic just to get a third title on the platform. We've seen plenty of video of traditional style machines running on the platform, but I haven't actually tried to overlay the playfield art on an image of the P3 to see how it fits. I know that, at this point, the P3 isn't available either, but I highly doubt waiting for the release would slow down MG any further.

Then every buyer at $14k would get three titles, LL-GG (a Nordman title), CCR, AND MG (a JPop).

#5242 9 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

This video makes me think of all those who "really want the cheese" still today. Replace "cheese" with AIW.
» Vimeo video

The cheese is old and moldy. Where did that come from?

#5243 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

So.... John taking over that space next door, busting a hole in the wall, setting things up for "production", was that all bullshit as well?
Does he not have the capability to build these things? Is that where we are?

I think just like Kevin and SkitB, the reality has set in, its not fantasy land anymore, people are breathing down their necks.

You, me and everybody else is sick of it.

Ask yourself this question after all that has come out regarding the speed and difficulty of pins in production and out the door. Do you really think that some rag tag crew of pin builders is going to be able to put together these pins fast enough to satisfy people and keep the doors open at this point?

I don't think so, you and I have the "capability" of building a pinball machine for John, it might take a year to finish one. We are now talking about speed and viability.

Things have changed a whole lot for John, Kevin, Stern and even Jack in the last year. You have to be able to adapt and get shit done! Isn't it clear that is the problem?

There might be things said today that can't happen tomorrow. You might be stuck building these yourself, luckily, after MMr and Big Juicy, the "contract manufacturing" mindset has changed with Jack now, as it certainly has with Stern.

#5244 9 years ago

His problems seem way bigger than whether Stern or JJP should build his games.

He's unable to even finish 3 prototypes.

Those prototypes must be completed. People must play them. The world must see them.

Then we have 19 Magic Girls to build. It seems like anyone in pinball could manage to build 19 machines, even on a kitchen table.

Those 19 Magic Girls must be built, and I don't see why they couldn't be built in house.

The RAZA prototypes must be completed, and shown to the world. Then we'll figure out how those will be built since there is 6 times as many as the MGs.

But if he could do this:

-Finish MG prototypes
-Build 19 MG games
-Finish 3 RAZA prototypes

Trot them out to various shows, etc.... that would solve almost all his problems.

Additional Magic Girl orders would come in, they could be scheduled to be built AFTER RAZA, out of fairness to the RAZA buyers.

All of this starts with finishing those prototypes and showing them to the world. If there is something in the way of getting the prototypes completed (John being John, need programmer, need new board system, vendors in arrears, whatever), those issues must be aired and dealt with.

#5245 9 years ago

Hey Ice, I thought we understood through Jpop's lawyer that he has the money to complete these games, "no cash crunch--far from it", has John agreed to provide you the financial records to look at?

#5246 9 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Encino Man

#5247 9 years ago

And I'm going to say right now, I will not support sending ANY more money in until at least this is done:

-Finish MG prototypes
-Build 19 MG games
-Finish 3 RAZA prototypes

NO MORE crowd funding for John. That is over. Finish what is on his plate, do the above. When the above is done, then sell more, collect money.

I personally am not sending my balance in for RAZA until AT LEAST the above is done, or possibly when my RAZA is built if I still have concerns. Otherwise he can send me back my money.

#5248 9 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Too easy, encino man.

Edit: oops beat me to it.

#5249 9 years ago
Quoted from slapshot:

Hey Ice, I thought we understood through Jpop's lawyer that he has the money to complete these games, "no cash crunch--far from it", has John agreed to provide you the financial records to look at?

I'm working on it, hope to discuss numbers with him on Monday.

#5250 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

.. hope to discuss numbers with him on Monday.

John and Kevin both takin' the weekend off? (sorry, I couldn't resist)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!
Plastics
Machine - For Sale
Corona, CA
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements
Pinball Machine
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greeley, CO
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 49.99
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!
Other
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Other
RavSpec
Other
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation
Decorations
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 24,471 posts in this topic. You are on page 105 of 490.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6/page/105 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.