(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,316 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 165 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,696 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sucks (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20

Post #20523 Link to legal documents with allegations & responses Posted by DennisK (3 years ago)

Post #20526 Third amended complain document Posted by c508 (3 years ago)

Post #20532 Summary of complaints & responses in legal documents Posted by DennisK (3 years ago)

Post #20626 MG is now ready! Posted by TecumsehPlissken (2 years ago)

Post #20631 Scott Goldberg mail on MG completion Posted by TecumsehPlissken (2 years ago)

Post #21819 Information on webpage dedicated to Magic Girl Code Features. Posted by applejuice (2 years ago)

Post #22024 moderation notice Posted by Xerico (2 years ago)

Post #22304 Photos of every page of the Magic Girl manual. Posted by vidgameseller (2 years ago)

Post #22584 Lion Saw feature information. Posted by applejuice (2 years ago)

Post #22710 Very detailed review from a game owner Posted by ShinyNick (2 years ago)

Post #22817 Details on the origin of the driver board Posted by Borygard (2 years ago)

Post #22957 Comparison photos between a MG 'prototype' and another shipped MG Posted by spfxted (2 years ago)

Post #23045 Pinball News first look review. Posted by Pinballs (2 years ago)

Post #23392 Ebay Auction for NIB Magic Girl #007 Posted by fattrain (2 years ago)

Post #23611 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by dgarrett (2 years ago)

Post #23615 Interview with Linda Deal (artist), speaking about CV and TOM Posted by toyotaboy (2 years ago)

Post #23754 The Deeproot link. Posted by pin2d (2 years ago)

Post #23946 Result of civil suit against JPOP Posted by rommy (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zentron.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#381 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

He's already on #6. I know, I've got deposits on the first five
BBB has 222 pins produced. RAZA 125 and will blow it away. I'll take RAZA, when it finally arrives, besides 10k is the new normal

A lot of pins blow bbb away now

Id rather have my money in a machine i can play in my office now

#753 5 years ago

Pinball Gremlins will be released before one of JPOP's title..

#781 5 years ago

Why couldnt they show magic girl at expo?

#986 5 years ago

Why'd he waste time on Kiss game if he's working on and selling pre-orders on 3 others?

#1022 5 years ago

The people who put down a deposit/paid for game in full have to sign an NDA. That isn't really a great marketing strategy to get additional sales..

1 month later
#2101 5 years ago

Has anyone/company taken preorder money for 3 pinballs simultaneously before?

#2113 5 years ago
Quoted from wdpvideo:

I have a better "?" who in their right mind would buy into 3 pre-order before getting the first one that was over a year past due?

You a smart man

#2132 5 years ago

frolic is dropping the hammer

#2145 5 years ago

Ya'll were "Popaduped"

#2159 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

No but you can preorder it

A preorder assumes delivery of something. It should be called a donation..

#2160 5 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

If you want scorched earth, I hear Phil might be available. Have to laugh or cry at all these shenanigans.

Phil could refund deposit $$

#2335 5 years ago

The video is the first real update ive seen in this thread.

#2526 5 years ago

An idea is 1%, execution is 99%

1 week later
#2707 5 years ago

Time to take a minute and put together a bullet point list highlighting the progress made this year on pins being worked on by JPOP.

Without further ado, here we are:

#2801 5 years ago

JPOP build your own pinball kit. Comes with hot glue gun, sharp scissors and premium paper!

1 week later
#3250 5 years ago
Quoted from Fliptastic:

Used to see JPop himself posting in the Pinside forums. Haven't seen anything lately.

He's to busy working 24/7/365..

1 month later
#4090 4 years ago

Maybe its a short selling investment firm.

1 week later
#4518 4 years ago

Was the prepayment/purchase non-refundable?

2 weeks later
#5396 4 years ago

He's probably to busy working 24/7 to update the blog.

#5418 4 years ago

If you're unemployable, going into business for yourself and having people invest is a good strategy.

#5754 4 years ago

Aurich, your referencing MG?

If folks wanted a refund on MG now, can they get one?

#5887 4 years ago

Its a spinning disc on a playfield, didnt whirlwind have that 25 years ago? What am i missing, the placement or the catchy name..

1 week later
#6327 4 years ago

Relax, im sure he can get another phone/number. It isnt like he's spending yalls money making a pinball machine.

#6878 4 years ago

Ice, you been drinking some pretty potent koolaid. When you mentioned helping fund if production numbers were increased i just about threw-up in my mouth.

#7160 4 years ago

JPOP just needs a kickstarter

#7177 4 years ago
Quoted from s1500:

Throwing more money at it wouldn't solve anything. He's already charging a high dollar value for his machines, and he still can't get them out?

For the refunds

#7257 4 years ago

People want communication from JPop and he gives some and look what happened.

#7367 4 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

I think people were looking for him to communicate the progress he has made (that a few have hinted that they've seen with their own eyes) and an updated project timeline that was realistic to have games built and shipped.
What they weren't expecting him to communicate was that he is basically broke, he has no plan, and he has hired a lawyer. Oh, and Pinside apparently shoulders the blame?

Pinside adds unprecedented transparency to his projects and its subjective whether some of this transparency breaks the NDA's that are in place. You can't blame pinside directly since its just a communication platform but some of his customers posts don't necessarily make investors want to run out an aid Zidware.

The reality is that JPOP is a very creative pinball designer with a past that shows him very hard to work with. He jumped over to become a business owner and take on building 3 pinball machines (simultanously?). It sounded like a suicide machine to begin with. It has taken Heighway many years just to finally get Full Throttle on the assembly line and Andrew is in a different league then JPOP when it comes to running a business.

This is a tough situation for all who have a financial stake w/ JPOP. I am not a malice and vicious person and I'd rather see JPOP just say he messed up, liquidate and pay off debt/refund customers there money. I don't see another way out of this unless he just works to finish up 1 game and then moves onto the next while still having capital to do this.

#7622 4 years ago

Initially when JPOP mentioned he was building pins, was it offered as pre order only and if he didnt get enough pre order's the games wouldn't of been built?

#7697 4 years ago
Quoted from retro_p:

To me at least, it looks a little self-serving when you are running a competing pinball company.

competing?

#7743 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah, that's true. And you're right, not everyone is already in for $17k or whatever, that's a small %. I concede the point, pinball money is pinball money.

The point was that Zidware / JPOP is a competitor to Spooky and thus Ben's opinion shouldn't carry weight because he works for Spooky and would be biased. The fact is that Spooky is sold out of pins while all folks money are still tied up w/ Zidware / JPOP.

1 week later
#8336 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

No kidding, how could any outside investor even consider putting money in when the track record of treating the previous investors is so poor?

If I won the lotto for 100+ Mil, id consider backing JPop at $1 Mil.

#8655 4 years ago

With the NDA in-place I would of assumed preorder folks would at a minimum get to review his accounting records on an annual basis.

#8656 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I was willing to go as someone's representative assuming they are requesting some eyes on the ground, but nobody appears to want that at this time.

#8664 4 years ago

Ben, None of my business and if you don't want to answer I respect that.

Do you have a non-compete agreement w/ Spooky where you can't work or consult with other Pinball Manufacturers while working with Spooky?

#8914 4 years ago

Yea, but who got a million bucks of folks money and who doesn't..

#8915 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

In pinball you either need to be a classic designer or have a desirable license to get money thrown at you.
If you have neither (like Wooly or AMH) then you've actually got to build a good game with deep rules to get any intetest, and even then it takes a while.
Who works harder? A guy with nothing to prove, or someone with everything to prove?

The only big show I went to last year was Southern Fried Gaming Expo and I saw neither AMH or Wooly. Seeing/Flipping one might of made me a buyer. Obviously for AMH it doesnt matter since its sold out but Wooly might of made their deposit goal if they were at SFGE.

#8927 4 years ago

@pinballnut3, i feel you. I went to Southern Fried Gaming Expo to support their inaugural event and also supported their kickstarter. This was a great event and if Wooly was there my dad/brother could of played it with me. I also went to PAPA earlier this year, and maybe the game / code could of been tweaked and put in a qualifying bank etc.. I don't know the tour the game took but if it didnt make it to Free Play Florida, I imagine it never made it to anywhere in the Southeast US?

#8929 4 years ago

Yea, i just live in Southeast where we have shows and didnt see the pin. Shame on me..

#9649 4 years ago

I heard these were getting mailed out to buyers next week:
vaseline-450x450_tcm72-298021.jpg

#10012 4 years ago

Mr. 10k Congrats!

#10043 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Holy jesus that sounds awesome, where do I send my pre-payment?

Zidware

#10535 4 years ago

You owners should come up with your own agreement and have JPop and other company sign it. Yall should set the terms now.

#10550 4 years ago
Quoted from PINTASIA:

Pintasia will be unveiling a Magic girl prototype at a show in June 2015. Not JPOP. We are making arrangements for our people to fly to Chicago to drive the machine to the show of choice with care. We will make the announcements as soon as details are confirmed. Here is the artwork for the banner we are getting made for the show. Look forward to meeting you all at the show!

Southern Fried Gaming Expo since ill be there..

#10558 4 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Make the first test the machine showing up at this NW show without John. That would show they're really in charge.. Get one of his babies across the country without him. Pintasia can say he's just a consultant all they want but john is prob incapable of just being a consultant. Even if it goes through I'd expect it to fall apart with John anyway.

Makes sense since Pintasia is in Vancouver and that's 3 hours away from the show. He can drive to it..

#10737 4 years ago

If Ben Heck was hired/contracted/consulted in as the Lead Tech/Engineer and he and Pintasia had ability to fire JPOP who would remain on as game designer would folks drop litigation?

With Ben Heck involved and some others industry experts I think this could bring in new money.

#10741 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

ZenTron - I would not take that job if offered. Nobody really knows how much remains to be done, and I would not want to work with John under any circumstances.

So you would consider it if John was out of the equation and you got to assess the current situation?

#10745 4 years ago

iceman44, Im not sure why you're spending so much time and energy looking at the past. Ya'll should try to be recruiting some industry experts to move Zidware / JPOP's assets/IP into a new company and turn things around. Looking in from the outside MG seems like it has some potential and with the right players it could be shipping in less then 12 months.

#10748 4 years ago

How can you buy something that doesn't exist and then demand it..

#10775 4 years ago

NDA and he can't even shut the blinds to his office.. nice..

#10830 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

$10k Magic Girls I think will sell, if it is everything its supposed to be.

#10852 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

They'd find something else Ben.. there's no pleasing this angry mob anymore. Even the positive is soured once it hits the pan.
Also perhaps John isn't there because he's in Vancouver talking to Bill? Canada doesn't have today off.
All I'm saying is.. if you're speculating try and consider both versions of that "half glass", people.

He should tell people if he's in Vancouver now though..

#11061 4 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

1. Make 16 MG "Platinum" at $16k as originally planned. Keep it über limited. Make it easily recognizable as an LE, not just a little plaque. Change something substantial.
2. Make unlimited MG at $10k

IMO there isn't much of a market for 10k MG's and you need economies of scale to drive the costs down. Should be one version of MG for 8k-9k unlimited.

#11065 4 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Same here! John is a narcissistic POS & a liar who see's himself as the victim here, he doesn't give a Sh!t about anyone else in my opinion. John your reputation is destroyed, you went from a loveable mad pinball scientists to the ultimate villain..... You are a Predator in the community that you supposedly loved, your career is over!

Most people knew this already though, right? Isn't this why Stern wouldn't hire him and Ben Heck parted ways early on. What am I missing..

#11291 4 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Plus it does cut down on the overall costs if your mom does the art.

or you don't pay the artist

#11323 4 years ago

He probably has a real neurological issue that has either not been diagnosed or he has kept secret. Asperger's Syndrome / Psychopath (lack of empathy) are two that come to mind. If he's kept on as a consultant I wonder if a full physical (like an athlete) can be a prerequisite.

#11641 4 years ago

There is a certain place in hell for people who make a post quoting 1204 words from a previous post.

#11646 4 years ago

Who works for three months and doesn't get paid.. c'mon, someone pinch me..

#11664 4 years ago

I'd want to see the books as JPOP said in his beautiful letter. Not take someones speculation on here as fact. Thats why id already have an attorney hired if i had skin in this game. The sums of money being discussed here are to big for me to take a leap of faith and speculate.

#11666 4 years ago
Quoted from joemamma:

Jpop took money and didn't build a machine

He built a machine..
00-kiss1.jpg

#11834 4 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

hahahaha I recognize this Sabrina Wei woman. I did the sunday pinball school at PAGG and she was in my group. I taught her how to nudge and slide save.

You should of taught her how to post on here too.

#11846 4 years ago

Yea, all we had to do was get TLC to sign John for a show.

#12100 4 years ago

Bill, Maybe I missed it, but you can't tell folks the details of the agreement w/ John because you signed an NDA that those details wouldn't be made public?

#12125 4 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

My guess is that Bill does not want everyone to know how much he paid Jpop for the license. Hearing that Jpop got a big $$ payout, while simultaneously announcing 'the games won't get made' won't sit well with most.

Yea, unless he is legally bound for some reason to keep the details of the deal confidential i think those beans should be spilled. It would build a foundation of trust & transparency.

#12170 4 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

Maybe Bill has "spilled" to those with an order. Why would any pinsider be entitled or expect any deal specifics on $ to be posted here?

You have to think big picture. Does Pintasia just want to appease current buyers and close shop or do they want new customers? For me to be a new customer I want that info.

#12535 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

How does this math work again?

It would make sense that the current owners would get pushed to the end of the line and new customers/money would be used to gradually make them whole.

#12537 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

At what price, and how many would have to be sold before that would happen??
How much profit do you think there would be in manufacturing and selling a single MG?

1000 units x $1000 = $1,000,000 . That should make a lot of folks whole. Of course this is pure speculation on my part..

#12539 4 years ago

Without the current owners Zidware wouldn't exist and there would be no assets. If Pintasia can make them whole (even though this will take some time) they would make them happy but also earn new customers because of it. If they are able to execute it would be beneficial to a lot of folks.

#12545 4 years ago

All we can do here is speculate. It isn't like the BOM is going to be posted here.

#12665 4 years ago

Whats the bet?

#12738 4 years ago

im bored, someone wake up iceman44 so he can start posting again..

#12786 4 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

LMAO!
Ice is good people. I look forward to running into (or stumbling) him for a beer at expo.

He is good people, just do the opposite of what he does and you'll be fine..

#12986 4 years ago

JPOP sighting near NW Pinball Show
carn05e4.jpg

#12994 4 years ago

its a standard size poster..

#13098 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Please do the coloring on AiW and do another print. Maybe a run of 100 this time./blockquote>

AiW in color is unfair to the folks who bought Black/White version. Its like releasing the Premium TWD after LE's sold out.

#13131 4 years ago

John went into this with no intent

#13243 4 years ago

If MG is sold commercially, it would be considered designed by JPOP?

Would he get royalties on each unit sold?

#13311 4 years ago

I heard first 100 customers of MG get a clown nose and rainbow clown wig:

clown-nose.jpg

#13426 4 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

Was the show not open to the public today? why would it not be there? 30 hours straight on the road to now wait 24 hours and not show it? Hmmmm, the big reveal i guess.

showme.JPG

#13749 4 years ago

I think it would of been better for Bill to of hired some of the folks who worked on Magic Girl but designed a game from scratch. Even if he got all the IP for free from Zidware, he also gets the sh*t storm that comes along with it. We've seen the game and I think it has good bones but the playfield/plastic is a train-wreck. I'd recommend they annul the contact w/ Zidware and walk away from this with just losing 100k.

#13784 4 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Yes, the majority of us are confused as to why this was done.

Wasn't this done to avoid pre-order folks from suing? Suing JPOP/Zidware would have an adverse effect on the contract Pinvasion has with them. Maybe the showing will build some confidence?

#13850 4 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

First let me say that the game is stunningly beautiful! As for the screen placement, I played it and the ramps were not obstructing the display.
Disclaimer... I am 6' 1" so I can speak to what a 5 foot tall player would see.

You can bend your knee's a bit when playing..

#13996 4 years ago

Bringing it to the show gives pre-owners some hope and might make them more patient possibly. Without JPOP they could reverse engineer the prototype, have a baseline BOM and then make adjustments with the folks who helped design game in the first place.

#14072 4 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Some of the most vocal and opinionated constant complainers in here lost no money and never preordered. As someone that does have money in the game, I feel it would be nice for those folks to ease up and move along.

Yea, on this forum that's impossible to enforce though. I assume thats why there is a private facebook group..

#14665 4 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Guy's we licensed the games and have borrowed the one MG to finish the damn thing that he seemingly could not finish himself.

Ya'll could sue Zidware for the licensing fee Pintasia paid

#14666 4 years ago

If a movie is made, the hardest part would be figuring out the genre, horror or comedy?

#14762 4 years ago

wcbrandes, Do you still plan to pursue making pinball machines w/ Pintasia or was that just formed in an attempt to salvage MG?

#14788 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

But yes it's certainly difficult to work within confines when you don't have complete creative freedom.

JPOP proved its difficult if you have complete creative freedom too

#14968 4 years ago

If he goes to jail the boys will call him magic girl.

#15046 4 years ago

I think somebody hacked Aurich's account.

#15310 4 years ago

This type of dialogue should have occurred prior to people taking out their checkbooks.

#15401 4 years ago

Bill, You done with trying to build Pinball Machines?

Would be cool if you got Zombie Yeti and some of the team that worked on MG to work for Pintasia and make a game from scratch.

#15456 4 years ago

JPOP can switch fields easily, he just needs to learn how to juggle and make balloon animals.

#15752 4 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

Yawn... Lots of bark and no bite happening here. John still lives free. Had I fallen prey to him, things would be very different for him. This thread is becoming boring and nauseating.

I thought this thread would dry up like JPOP's bank account.

"Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, you’ve been a wonderful audience. I’ll be here all week. Try the veal. And don’t forget to tip your servers”

2 weeks later
#16368 4 years ago

There is a faction or even factions here on Pinside that fall into the criteria Jack described. I hope people don't think 100% of the "Pinsiders" here are positive and honest.

If I lost $5000 on RAZA and saw John working on AIW, id take a week off work and picket infront of his office and contact local media. I don't know how a lot of folks don't have more outrage. Seems like business as usual at the JPOP office.

#16369 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

People take this stuff way too seriously.
Jack is entitled to his opinion just like anybody. The idea that he will be shunned at shows and that people will stop buying his games because of it...well I don't buy that. There's about 2,000 people saying Jpop is dogshit and maybe 5 who aren't.
Even Mondale won a state. I wouldn't lose much sleep over this folks.

A lot of rhetoric.. Lets have 1000 posts about how we disagree with Jack meanwhile he's pumping out games and JPOP is working on AIW.

#16415 4 years ago
Quoted from MrDo:

... I think you might mean "game". "Games" means more than one.

Well, one title but ~2000 actual machines / games.

#16422 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

What about the people who bought the game?
Are they not people? Do they not have families? No, no, no...the perp does NOT get sympathy! Especially since he's NEVER apologized or done anything to make this right. F John Popadiuk. F his family. They stole from my friends and lied to them. Jack's sympathy is misplaced.

You have a valid point but if I play the Devils Advocate a parent shouldn't spend $16,000 on a speculative "investment" if they can't afford to lose the money without creating hardship on their family.

1 month later
#17148 4 years ago

I dont think comparing a telco or a franchise with lots of $$ to JPop is really relevant. He can send a check for 3x the amount of a pin too but it would bounce.

#17149 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmanguy:

If this were in Australia one of the current affairs programs would have loved this story, they love going after people who's taken money.

Eeek, most businesses that have a pre-order model do take money. What are they going to report on, new business fails and investors lose money?

#17156 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmanguy:

Were they investors or were they buying a product?

IMO Investors. Its hard to buy and take possession of a product that doesn't exist.

3 weeks later
#17450 4 years ago

How many Sterns have been released since JPop took his first deposit? I can do the leg work if i know date first deposit was sent in.

3 weeks later
#17801 4 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

How many titles have come out from Stern since this J plop adventure started? Just watched the GoT on twitch. Yeah jpoop was mentioned!! Nothing nice.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6?tq=deposit&tu#post-2662658

11 months later
#19407 3 years ago

20,000 posts by tomorrow

#19654 3 years ago

15,000sqft not 150,000sqft

4 months later
#21311 2 years ago

MG customers are whole now and its possible RAZA and AIW customers will be next? Isn't this great news?

When it comes to ZY, AJ and other contractors of Zidware, how is that any of our business anyway. If they were wronged and have a case they should contact an attorney and go the legal route.

#21618 2 years ago

Im suprised the pics dont have a creative watermark on them.

#21796 2 years ago

Owl facing backward? I'm out!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 32.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zentron.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside