(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,316 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 165 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,696 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sucks (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20

Post #20523 Link to legal documents with allegations & responses Posted by DennisK (3 years ago)

Post #20526 Third amended complain document Posted by c508 (3 years ago)

Post #20532 Summary of complaints & responses in legal documents Posted by DennisK (3 years ago)

Post #20626 MG is now ready! Posted by TecumsehPlissken (2 years ago)

Post #20631 Scott Goldberg mail on MG completion Posted by TecumsehPlissken (2 years ago)

Post #21819 Information on webpage dedicated to Magic Girl Code Features. Posted by applejuice (2 years ago)

Post #22024 moderation notice Posted by Xerico (2 years ago)

Post #22304 Photos of every page of the Magic Girl manual. Posted by vidgameseller (2 years ago)

Post #22584 Lion Saw feature information. Posted by applejuice (2 years ago)

Post #22710 Very detailed review from a game owner Posted by ShinyNick (2 years ago)

Post #22817 Details on the origin of the driver board Posted by Borygard (2 years ago)

Post #22957 Comparison photos between a MG 'prototype' and another shipped MG Posted by spfxted (2 years ago)

Post #23045 Pinball News first look review. Posted by Pinballs (2 years ago)

Post #23392 Ebay Auction for NIB Magic Girl #007 Posted by fattrain (2 years ago)

Post #23611 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by dgarrett (2 years ago)

Post #23615 Interview with Linda Deal (artist), speaking about CV and TOM Posted by toyotaboy (2 years ago)

Post #23754 The Deeproot link. Posted by pin2d (2 years ago)

Post #23946 Result of civil suit against JPOP Posted by rommy (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vid1900.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#229 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

Seriously though, is there no one on the RAZA waiting list? I'm trying to get a refund but it's pending a replacement buyer.

Yeeeesh.....hello.....cashflow?

1 month later
#528 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

having to redesign ever mech not using Wms parts

Quoted from lllvjr:

I'm guessing he didn't get the ok from the current or former owner of the Wms rights.

The patents have long ago run out on those WMS parts.

In the USA, Design patents last 14 years, Utility patents last 20 years

http://www.uspto.gov/inventors/patents.jsp

#532 5 years ago

Why would PPS be blocking Jpop?

It's not like he is violating any patents.

It's not like he is stealing stuff out their backdoor.

If anything, PPS could/should be an ally selling spare parts, translights, cab decals, for Jpop's games.

#740 5 years ago

Anyone who wants to secretly send me their Jpop contract, I'll secretly repost it without any names involved....Buhahahahahahahahahaha

#995 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I'm sure most will disagree, but in my view of the world, if Stern knew Jpop was in talks with them and swooped in to take it, while not illegal by any means, does strike me as scummy.

If they did not know and it was just something they were pursuing since they have been doing a series of old rock and roll bands, then no harm no foul.

If KISS liked the idea from jpop, and decided to shop it around and brought it to Stern, then hard to hold it against Stern, but would have been nice if they passed on it, if they knew Jpop had been pursuing it. Not saying I would have expected Stern to do that, but would like to see that type of behavior in such a small ecosystem, no matter how unrealistic that is.

Stern had been courting KISS for many years, but KISS always wanted too much $$$$$ up front.

When Stern told KISS that their largest selling pin ever was AC/DC, KISS suddenly accepted Stern's terms.

-

Jpop was never even in the running to make the KISS pin. His company has no track record of producing any product at all.

KISS is a merchandising company, not likely to invest time in vaporware.

#997 5 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

I am not sure why Jpop even pursued it as it wouldn't fit his boutique model.. Let alone why he spent all that energy on a mockup.

I'm sure it was simply a fun diversion.

Everybody that was cool, loved KISS in their youth.

Kids painted their vans, drew on their notebooks, painted their faces for Halloween.

Jpop got to crank off for a few weeks of childhood fantasy.

5 months later
#6707 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I assumed he was stalling hoping for an angel to swoop in and buy him out.

Worked for Stern.

#6708 4 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Can you imagine if a car dealer let you preorder a car 4 years ago

Ferrari has a 3+ year waiting time.

Harley used to have a 3 year wait.

But 4 years? Hell no!

#6712 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Stern has a factory and a track record and an infrastructure and employees.
Jpop has none of these things.

For what his is doing, he does not need any of those things.

#6714 4 years ago

It was over 3 years when I went to buy (dealers were telling you 2 years, as to not scare you off).

http://money.cnn.com/2014/09/12/autos/ferrari-production-rich/

#6865 4 years ago
shut up.jpg
1 week later
#7263 4 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

Hello all - I'm the artist on JPOPs 'recent' machines - I haven't heard for him in a few weeks and started doing some diggin which led me here - can someone summarize what is going on? thanks in advance!

Your art is badass!

#7314 4 years ago

Like Gary Stern always says, it takes $1,000,000 to develop a game from start to finish.

#7333 4 years ago

Story problem:

If it takes a team of 20 guys 1 year to produce a game at Stern, how long would it take 3 guys to do the same job?

#7510 4 years ago

93% of all new businesses go under within 5 years.

We can't be surprised when it happens, because it's the most likely outcome.

#7521 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

yet Stern doesn't really reply (much like John). Could care less about their loyal customers.

Stern does not reply because it's a no-win situation.

When people email me to argue about something I've already answered, I simply don't reply.

It does not mean that I don't care, it just means that I'm not going to sit there and defend every little nuance of anything I've ever said.....

#7524 4 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

vid1900, what's your email address again?

look@cox.net

#7606 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I just hope it isn't some kind of faked video with fixed camera angles on parts of the playfield but not the whole thing, etc.
More tricks and obfuscation will just fan the flames.

It's like when you see those camouflaged prototype cars on the road.

Makes you crazy to see the final version.

gt5_corvettec7proto_6.jpg
#7694 4 years ago

It's like when Stern posted the cellphone WNBJM video.

Everyone was crying "You tellin' me they can't just shoot a video and post it???!!!!!"

Then they posted the cell video.

Then everyone was crying "What a crappy video. Can't they spend some money with the millions they make??? Can't they get someone who can play?????"

#7788 4 years ago

Maybe Mike from Homepin can build John's games in China, since he is set up to do quantity 100s

#7846 4 years ago

Since the Big Lewbowski only sold 200 units, and that is a very popular theme, I have difficulty believing that MG could possibly sell 1000 games.

#7852 4 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Vid I would think it is well over 200 machines not sure where you get this number as Barry indicated to me it was well over this. Also I really don't think TBL is a big popular theme like lets say AIW would be, it's just not.

It was in one of Barry's emails about the refunds.

At one point they had said that they had "almost 300 pre-orders", but we can assume that the refund fiasco knocked that back a notch or two.

I think TBL is a great theme for pinball; in my mind, more potentially popular than MG

#7854 4 years ago

And of course, there is nothing wrong with collecting a salary.

#7861 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

The builder (contractor) gets his pay from the money I pay. (profit, if he messes up on the actual amount of money it costs that's his problem. If I have a contract with the deck builder than that's exactly what I expect).

Contractors skip out on jobs all the time if they start to get upsidedown.

That is why I sometimes have to make our contractors buy a Completion Bond before I give them a project.

#7862 4 years ago

If a Completion Bond costs 3% of the job price in the construction industry, what do you think it would cost in the pinball industry, lol????

#7907 4 years ago
Quoted from nintendo:

I believe the last official update with regards to anything related to pinball was having his back door opened at his shop.

Maybe an invite for some back door action?

#7919 4 years ago
Quoted from nintendo:

The games from Stern seem to go down in value with exception to a few machines (Tron, LOTR). Recent NIB pins from Stern now are being sold hundreds below what they were worth (ST, TWD).

This is normal

99.999% of everything you have ever bought will go down in value when it's time for you to sell it.

Cars, iPods, computers, TVs, Diamonds, Furniture, power tools......

Quoted from nintendo:

While old Williams/Bally games from the 90's continue to increase in value.

Very few machines have even kept up with inflation, so if you think about it, they have gone down in value, just like most Sterns.

The Shadow would have to sell for $5,200 to have kept up.

KISS would have to be $6,400

#7922 4 years ago

My dealer has a Mustang in the lounge, but there is no for sale sign, or anything that would let the public know that they could own a pinball machine.

All the Mustang forums talked about the game, but did any non pinheads buy it? Probably a few, but who knows?

#8037 4 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Is there really no way for owners to come in and do a hostile takeover on any of these projects?

You could always hire a Crow to break in, copy the hard drives and swap the router on the way out for ~$800.

-I'm not suggesting anyone do this -

#8039 4 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I'm also not suggesting anyone do this.

Great minds scheme alike.

#8096 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

What the hell?
One of our best pinheads on Pinside is asking for his account to be retired? What the hell happened that it got to this point?
Eric, if you are reading this, I hope you will reconsider.

I though he was being sarcastic.....oops!

#8129 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

There doesn't seem to be much funding left, and he HAS to be paying around $3k/month for a 6,000 sq foot building. I can't imagine he can afford to keep paying rent

Maybe he's got himself a sugar daddy?

#8210 4 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

! If I was withing 200 miles I'd go there and ask questions and I have zero financial investment.

The problem is that if you visit the shop, you get hypnotized and leave singing Jpoop's praises.

#8593 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Really?

Great advice...if you want to go to jail.

Great advice if you want to get shot in the face.

Even normal people will kill if they or their property are threatened.

#8730 4 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

My local glass place is "slow" and it takes them about a week for most of the orders I have placed since they apparently don't stock glass but order it when a job is placed.

No glass shop "stocks" tempered glass.

You can't cut glass that is already tempered. If you try to cut it, it explodes into little cubes.

So the glass shop has to order the glass from a local distributor who has a kiln.

The distributor takes the order, cuts normal untempered glass to the required size, puts the glass in a giant kiln, and slowly heats it up to 1200*F over a 6 hour period.

Then they force cool it, making the outsides of the glass cool faster than the center.

Now the sheet of glass has been "tempered", and can no longer be cut.

It then gets shipped out to the glass shop you ordered it from.

#8748 4 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

In my case, it's a week for standard window glass.
My point being that not all glass shops are going to be a call ahead, walk in, walk out with glass same day.

I hear ya.

Your larger Ace or Tru Value stores can usually cut plain glass in just a few minutes.

But remember, you can't put normal glass in a Door or a Bathroom window.

The inspector wants to see that little "Tempered" bug in the corner should you ever sell the house.

#8894 4 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Jinx was the name of the cat in Pinball Magic.

Jinx was the name of the cat in Meet the Parents.

Connection ?!

#9107 4 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Hundreds of hours of time that I could spend..... seeing my gf

Programmers.jpg
#9129 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

Is that even possible?

Oh yes.

This is the American legal system we are talkin' about here.

#9134 4 years ago
Quoted from dung:

ironically i split things off with mine today so that is somewhat prophetic.

Sorry if I jinxed you....

#9440 4 years ago

IMHO:

THERE IS NO INVESTOR - Just like JJP's "secret investor who loves pinball" and fake press release to joyfully announce his second coming, does anyone really believe that there is an investor?

Investors invest money to make money.

No investor that I've ever spoke to invested money just for the love of the product - I mean, it sounds romantic and all, but so did Pretty Woman (and we know how many billionaires try to marry their hookers in real life).

Investors bring money to invest. This "investor" seems like they are just going to be taking your money.

I predict that the "investor" is just an actor fronting another shell company for Poopaduke, or just another someone from Pinside who thinks they will be able to build a pinball machine.

YOU HAVE 4 DAYS TO SIGN A CONTRACT AGREEING NOT TO SUE ME - anytime you see a contract who's main purpose is to prevent you from seeking legal restitution - RUN YOU STUPID MOTHERFNCKERS!!!!

YOU CAN HAVE 1/2 CREDIT FOR YOUR DEPOSIT TOWARDS THE GAME YOU WANTED - This is so dumb, if you are even thinking about agreeing to this, send me a PM. I'll give you 100% of your Poopaduke credit towards a $16,000 kick in the ass. Best bargain in boutique pinball.

SUE POOPADUKE NOW - don't wait another second. Find a single Chicagoland attorney to represent you guys (to save on fees), and be done with it.

#9476 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I would want more details

I've got all your details, right here.

#9493 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

I still don't see why walking away would be a better option than just checking the box that says you'll buy RAZA or AIW when it's ready at 1. You can always walk away later.

Because you are signing away your rights to litigation AND getting your hopes up all over again.

The idea is too dumb to be believed.

#9514 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

I guess that's true if you are expecting litigation to save you. I have zero faith in the American legal system, less than JPOP actually.

I would not expect any good outcome from any litigation - but at least if you sue, you have had control over something in this mess.

If you sign you:

1. Don't get to sue.
2. Don't know how much the game will cost.
3. Don't know who's going to build or supply replacement parts.
4. Don't even get full credit for money you paid towards a game.
5. Get to be the chump who held on to fairy dust for 4 more years.

I've never seen a dumber "contract" for someone to sign in my entire life.

If the hard copy sent to you for signing is hand printed on a table napkin, I will not be surprised.

#9519 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

If the assets are so valuable why didn't Stern or JJP bail him out?

Because he does not have a game to sell them.

Do you think Stern or JJP can't hire an artist to make a pretty playfield? They are not going to pay good money for a wisp of a game.

#9534 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Thus, you have to decide if you think the new guy is capable or not

What are you talking about????

There is NO new guy.

If there was a new guy, he would be here trying to show his lifelong manufacturing accomplishments so you would believe that he was capable of building a machine as complicated as a modern pinball machine.

#9553 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I think he just wants to help his babies get born....

If that was the case, Poopaduke could have just given MG to JJP and in 4 years, there would indeed be a game born.

#9556 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I really hope at this point he tells everybody to take a hike

Sadly, I share your hope.

No sense in letting this straw grasping go on for another 5 years.

#9573 4 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

The other option is not to "just walk away." It is to choose not to sign it and see if games are made.

Don't sign it.

Unless Poopaduke sends you a registered letter by June 1st, how could he ever prove you received it?

#9588 4 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Its Poopadeuce.

Pay up, and get your layer out of here.

Pay up, ol' John is working hard this year.

And baby, do the things he says to do.

-

For four years he was feeling good.

For four years he was feeling nice.

You know your man was working hard.

He's Poopadeuce!

#9616 4 years ago
Quoted from Shrub_Light:

Take note of the words possibility, prices, credits, and to be determined.

Exactly.

===============================

New Investor: OK, everybody step right up. I'll give you 50 cents on the dollar that Poopaduce owes you, for the good of pinball.

Sucker: Thanks Mister! I had $5,000 in.

New Investor: No problem, my fine young man!

Sucker: Wheew...I appreciate you saving our butts.

New Investor: OK, so you get half of $5,000 off the price of the game....hmmmm....that adds up to....$18,500....so with your deposit credit...... you only owe $16,000! Congratulations!

Sucker: (gulp) Sheesh, it's like I threw that $5,000 right in the toilet.

New Investor: Not at all. I'm not libel for any of Poopaduce's debt, but I'm willing to help you out - for the love of pinball.

Sucker: Thanks Mister! Can you explain this all to my wife?

New Investor: Sure! Is she good looking, or blown out from childbirth?

#9620 4 years ago
courtroom-sketch.jpg
#9632 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

NONE of this makes sense.

Because it's all an ill conceived response to the current legal actions.

#9634 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

There won't be 199 suckers.

That's for sure.

They could not even get 200 TBL buyers and that's a way better theme with a playable prototype.

#10907 4 years ago
Quoted from Crazybanana:

This may be the thread that brings down pinside!

Actually, this will be the thread that brings up Pinside.

Finally, the whole notion of pre-paying for a game that no one has played or seen will be dead.

Thank you Jpoop (seriously).

#10996 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Who wants John to be at the NW show with the pin? Just curious does anyone think he should be there?

I think he should be there.

Jpoop can't run a pinball manufacturing business; that does not mean that he should be banned.

He got rid of the whole pin-preorder nonsense from the hobby, so we all owe him a beer for that!

#11386 4 years ago
Quoted from Zaxxis:

Not sure if it's been mentioned in the flurry of posts, but all traces of MG, RAZA and AIW were scrubbed from pinballinventor.org

Stalin used to do that too.

yezhov-orig.jpg yezhov-alt.jpg
#11743 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of pinball!

That last Duke Nuke sucked ass.

That's for sure.

#12362 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Take John to the NW show, and have a charity Dunk Tank he has to sit in.
All proceeds go to the MGRAZAAIW relief fund.

Brilliant.

Image deleted by mod.

#12373 4 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

And a side note to prove my geek cred - that Shakespeare bust on my desk is a working one from Batman 66 they remade a handful for the TV movie shoot about 10 years ago and I snagged one
It's operates my lights in the studio...

Props.

#12424 4 years ago

I'm not convinced that Pop's original plan was to sell the company before building any machines.

My guess is that he simply did not have forethought to see how the money math was going to run.

If I'm building a game that I know by heart (lets say Space Shuttle or AFM), I can assemble it in a single day. So building 16 games, "piece of cake".

But, Pop did not figure on how much more everything costs in small quantities.

Playfields only cost $200 - in quantities of 1,000.

Painted, assembled cabs $400 - in quantities of 1,000

He suddenly realized that he was not getting Williams BOM prices, and would need to sell A LOT more games.

A game like KISS could have sold 5,000 units...........

#13165 4 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

A guy doesn't plan on cheating on his wife but he goes out with the boys, gets drunk and cheats. Is he less a cheater because when he left to go to the bar he didn't intend on cheating and more importantly; he was drunk?

Yes, clearly he is less of a cheater.

Just like murder without premeditation.

#13255 4 years ago

You guys can bitch and cry about the incomplete game, but, honestly, I'm just glad to see **something**.

#13303 4 years ago
huffer.jpg
#13307 4 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

They should now call it Magic Woman....

I like it.

Or maybe Magic Broad.

#13323 4 years ago

Of course, now that Jpop is out of the picture, nothing is stopping the art being produced in any color pallet wanted.

Too much My Little Pony for everyone's taste? Screen it in a different color.

It's only ink.

#13356 4 years ago
Clown-Puke-LEDs.jpg
#13377 4 years ago

I think the art is amazing, I keep finding new things.

I just think the lighting is amazingly bad.

#13379 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Won't Cointaker be at the show? Easy enough to swap out that purple nightmare for some nice cool whites.

I'm sure Cointaker will be thrilled to help out.....

#13443 4 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Everyone is looking at the most expensive prototype pinball game ever made

Pinball Circus cost $1.5 Million to prototype in 1993 dollars - that would be $2.4 Million today.

#13448 4 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

WOZ cost 2 million to develope.

I also read that Jack was bound by contract with New Line that the Hobbit be delivered by Dec 14 2014

#13451 4 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

the dude must have had a lot of pull

He could definitely pull something.

#13560 4 years ago

Everybody said the same thing about WOZ and weak flippers. That's all we heard for 6 months.

Flipper strength is the least of the game's worries right now; it's totally fixable.

#13576 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

this isn't woz (an established company)

JJP has a single game out in 5 years of business.

Quoted from toyotaboy:

of course it's fixable, but wouldn't you want to be able to show all the shots?

Of course you would want to be able to show all your shots, but Pintasia has been around for what, three weeks???

It's a slapped together demo - but I'd rather see 1/2 working demo, than nothing at all.

#13597 4 years ago

I think you guys are all going hypercritical on this.

This may be your only chance to see this prototype. Enjoy it for what it is.

When you are in CA and you get your one chance to play Wizard Blocks - don't complain that it's only 10% complete. Enjoy it for what it is.

#13618 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

Is that really 50% of the game's features?

Who knows from a 1 minute video where somebody did not know the game very well?

Probably 10% of the features.

#13714 4 years ago
Quoted from robbycsmith:

When you need a Home Run or a Triple to win the game, should you bunt and hope to get 16k from speculators.

When your team only had 3 weeks to practice, do your forfeit like a bunch of girls, or do you get your team out there and play?

#13732 4 years ago
Quoted from TravisRT1985:

I don't really understand why the photos and game play are getting thumbed up.

1.The games not getting made.
2. A lot of people got screwed.

The Pin2000 version of Playboy never got made and lots of people lost their jobs.

Do we not thumbs up pictures when somebody brings a prototype to Expo?

#13792 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Curious why someone that has paid for either of these machines hasn't brought a receipt and law enforcement to claim them.

What kind of law enforcement exactly?

#14135 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Knowing now, that almost everything is custom, explains a great deal as to where funds went.

That does not mean that Pintasia has to keep everything custom in the new game.

$39 WPC flipper mechs would be great, and everyone would sleep soundly knowing they could buy $20 rebuild kits for the rest of their lives.

-

That's one thing you have to give JJP credit for, using mostly industry standard parts - saves money, eliminates replacement worry.

#15104 4 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Yes, Zidware, Inc. is incorporated in the State of Illinois (File No.: 66577511).
Use the following link, and search for Corporate > Key Word > Zidware.
http://www.ilsos.gov/corporatellc/
ZidwareInc.jpg

At least he won't get in trouble for banging his secretary.

#15184 4 years ago
Quoted from DevilsTuner:

All those years of seeing him post pictures at Starbucks. Man that shit is expensive is it not?

It is.

A coffee at Starbucks is $1.79, and 50 cent refills !!!

#15236 4 years ago

Obviously, people need to draw a salary to pay for Health Insurance (at least in the USA), Rent, Auto, Food....

Amazon did not make any money for a dozen years, but I'm sure Jeff Beozs drew a salary.

#15240 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Look at the contract agreement, it says nothing about paying John's health insurance or car insurance or anything else, it was a contract to buy a game which John would supply, if he doesn't deliver the game, he shouldn't get to keep the money.

It's the law, you have to carry health insurance.

It's not like Obama is going to say "Hey, you are working full time on building a pinball machine? Sweet! Let me excuse you from our nation's health insurance laws...."

#15246 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

health insurance as a company is only mandatory if you employee more than 12 people.

They changed the law, EVERY citizen has to buy health insurance if their employer does not provide it.

Quoted from toyotaboy:As for John by himself, who's to say he couldn't sign on to his wife's insurance plan?

His wife is self-employed too.

#15252 4 years ago

I'm not defending Jpop's business practices, I'm just saying he obviously needed to draw a salary for 5 years, as would anybody who is not already a millionaire.

#15254 4 years ago

Like my grandfather always used to say:

"The best mechanic is not necessarily the best service station owner"

#15257 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Is his wife employed? If so - does her employer offer insurance?

Self-employed

#15260 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Need to get back to salary. Who imposed the limit on what his salary was?

You guys did.

If you did not give him a limit in the contract you signed, the sky was the limit.

#15262 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Probably not very smart of them to both be self employed.

Again, you guys want him to start a company (95% of all new business fail within 3 years in the USA), design 3 pinball machines, AND be smart???

#15269 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

You're wrong we didn't employ John. If a guy installs a garage door on your house you don't pay him a salary or pay his insurance. You pay a set price for a service/product.
I think you are confusing the issue, we didn't agree to pay for his insurance any more than if you buy a taco from a truck are we agreeing to pay a salary or insurance for the truck driver. We pay for a product or service. All the rest of that back end stuff is what John has to work out on his own.

You have a jumbled mess of ideas, so I can't follow your logic.

There is simply no way Jpop was going to work full time and not draw a salary.

That is the simple fact, regardless if everyone wishes it was not so.

#15274 4 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

According to John he stopped drawing a salary in Nov 14.

At least we now know the date that the money ran out.

#15278 4 years ago

Just keep repeating this to yourself:

"95% of all new businesses fail within three years"

#15280 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Any money that he took for salary needs to be refunded.

From where?

His landlord is not going to give his rent back.

Allstate is not going to give his car insurance premium back.

HAP is not going to give his health insurance premium back.

He can't give the food he ate back.

That money is spent, and gone.

#15343 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

How do you know what he's spent? He could have been extracting an unrealistic amount as salary. It's John, the most delusional man in pinball....we must assume he's capable of doing something that dopey. It could be sitting in a savings account.

I have no idea what he spent

I was responding to people who said Jpop had to return every penny of his salary.

#15375 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

I've been involved in start-ups for decades. You don't have to be rich to not draw a salary. Most people in start-ups are actually very poor. A lot of people in start-ups work day or part-time jobs to pay the bills. They just need enough money to survive, and they pour everything else back into the company.

That sounds great.

That could maybe work for ScatB, since he lives in a $32,000 house with $600 a year in taxes.

Unfortunately, Jpop lives in a $350,000 house with $10,000 a year taxes.

You ain't working part time and paying that mortgage.

#15380 4 years ago
Quoted from asay:

What does his wife do?

Secretary for Zidware.

#15509 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

"Popaduik, I served with Larry DeMar. I knew Larry DeMar. Larry DeMar was a friend of mine. Popaduik, you're no Larry DeMar."

Funny.

#15633 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

So are you saying that he purposely slowed the production of MG and RAZA to increase the liklihood that he would get bought out before he actually had to reveal the games to the buyers?

Why would you go after revenue?

If you show revenue, people will always ask, ‘How much,’ and it will never be enough.

You have to always keep your company in a “pre-revenue” state.

Do you know what ROI stands for? Radio On Internet.

roi.png
#15651 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

My first question is "how does he stay in that building?" Well what if he pays the rent personally from the money he made as Zidware's genius president? He could, in theory, continue noodling for another year or two at that rate.

If he is/was sporadically paying some rent, the landlord might allow him to stay until a new tenant is found.

#15708 4 years ago
Quoted from pin-pimp:

Digging up someone's past isn't cool and has nothing to do with what they tried to do.

In my experience, someone's past deeds are strongly indicative of their future actions.

#15931 4 years ago
Quoted from brent149:

Let this be a lesson to everyone. If you try to help other people you're just going to get bitched at no matter what happens. Bill could have built 1,000 games and gave them away for free and someone would whine about color scheme.

Yep, especially on Pinside.

1 week later
#16061 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

Not when you look at his public post history, where he chastized other pinball manufacturers and people for not having the resources to make machines. He clearly stated before that he was fully-aware how difficult it is to produce a game. So I think in court he'd get his butt handed to him by his online testimony that would contradict his current claims.

That is just how public figures are.

The more a politician speaks out against a certain lifestyle, the more likely that they are deeply involved in that lifestyle.

sen-larry-craig.jpg

#16066 4 years ago
Quoted from s1500:

As for the infamous stall, I got a shoe shine & inquired and he told me which one it was.

Ah, a "shoe shine".

I did not know that's what the kids were calling it these days.

1 week later
#16375 4 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

The way it's written sounds a bit like a prelude.

The way it's written sounds like a suicide note.

#16450 4 years ago
Quoted from guyincognito:

if I was trading Pinball Futures, I'd be shorting JJP stock.

I'm sure most people have been thinking that exact same thing.

1 week later
#16723 4 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Still really messed up he's still updating the site

He is laughing at all of us.

#16774 4 years ago
Quoted from CubeSnake:

WHY has not ONE person who has been screwed attempted to visit him at his place of business??

People have.

But once you enter the building, you fall under the spell and become Jpooped.

No joke.

#16863 4 years ago

.............so, what is new with Poopaduce?

#16913 4 years ago

Even spelling it correctly, Google's first page of return results is all positive.

Only a single negative on the 2nd page of returns.

#16923 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I can't imagine JPop's lawyers would let him talk to Pinball News at this point, so there will be no rambling Kevin-style interview.

That is certainly true.

But, you know how big personalities don't listen to counsel - they've got an important story to tell.

Hopefully Pinball News can get that story.

#16931 4 years ago

Everyone link to this in your blogs and Facebook, right now.

The more links it gets, the higher it will rank on Google.

#16935 4 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

Just for the record, I'm not affiliated with that site, just posting the link I found on the Internet .

We knew that.

2 weeks later
#17084 4 years ago

Even if you did show up on his doorstep, what are you going to do?

Stand there and get shot?

Break in and get shot?

Get invited in and get shot?

Do you think Jpiss has $10,000 in his pocket and is going to give you a refund on the spot?

I just don't get what good thing people expect to happen when they show up uninvited at someone's house.... especially someone who is crazy.

#17094 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I would show up with LOTS of close friends

He is probably not going to let a mob of people into the shop.

Quoted from Whysnow:

After I get let in then the conversation would changes to me wanting out and wanting my money now.

He's not going to have $10,000 in his pocket. He has already stated that he is broke. I assume he will stick with that story.

Quoted from Whysnow:

He also has LOTS of physical assets that can easily be used to keep an individual buyer happy and appease them to leave the shop.

You will be arrested for a Class 2 Felony when you try to leave the premises with $10,000 worth of goods, even if Jplop owns you $1,000,000.

You don't get to just go in and steal stuff.

#17099 4 years ago

I still like the idea of a dunk tank at Expo where he could raise some refund money.

How does Popadunk sound?

Dunk_the_Jpop.jpg

#17104 4 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

Yet jpop and Kevin from skit b get a free pass.

Not exactly a free pass.

If pinball is your life, and now you can NEVER go to an expo again, or NEVER work for a company designing pinball machines again, that comes with great costs, both financially and mentally.

And for jpop, that means that his legacy is forever destroyed.

No fond memories for him like Steve Kordek or Gorden Morison.

-

We all knew there was risk in buying a product from a brand new company.

94% of all new businesses go under within the first 3 years. Why would any of us assume that something as complex as a pinball company would be immune to that well known fact?

JJP has had been forced to seek additional funding several times to keep from going bankrupt. And that is with MANY TIMES the capital that Jpop collected.

Quoted from mrgone:

Justice needs to come soon or someone will say enough and take matters into their own hands.

So assuming you are willing to take "justice" into your own hands, are you ready to do time in prison for that justice you seek?

#17110 4 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Send a few Dominos Pizzas

C'mon man! We were trying to keep this civil....

#17129 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I am assuming he would be happy to give me something deemed of equal value to what he owes and then i would leave. Nobody would be stealing anything.

He is not going to happily give you anything, 'cept shit.

#17132 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I hope the case is still open with the FBI and others. It would be depressing to hear they are not following up on this.

You know the FBI has no knowledge about pinball production.

Some low level investigator looked at the website, saw that Jpus is still posting that he is working on this and that in the blog, and went on to the next case.

Even when he finally closes up shop, he would just tell any investigator "Hey, I really tried, but my whole company failed, and I never could find an angel investor".

-

How many local gyms open and sell people three year Platinum Memberships for $2000 and then promptly go out of business 4 months latter?

The FBI is not going to ever pursue any of those, and thousands of people lose their cash at every location.

2 weeks later
#17191 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

You'd think having a nice home for his young kids would be a bigger priority than his pride, but again, we're not talking logic here

He is a renter.

#17195 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I don't think so, there was a whole discussion how he's been late paying his property tax because he negotiates a lower price. I don't know any renters that pay property tax.

I though when Dale looked up his address in the tax records, it was in someone else name?

1 week later
1 month later
#18159 4 years ago
Quoted from sp005:

Any chance we can have him banned/removed from the hall of fame?

C'mon, you can't ban someone just for being an idiot.

That would be like if someone banned Pete Rose from the Baseball Hall of Fame.

#18181 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Maybe John will sell alternate backglasses to Stern's Kiss?

No one would want it because he had the scabs drawn in.

KISS fans would only want Ace, lol.

#18183 4 years ago

It's a free country, let him go to Expo.

#18187 4 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

If he's got the balls to walk into a raging fire he's more than free to do so..However if he gets burned...that's on him.

I say let him walk.

Everybody talks a big talk on the internets, but I predict he would have no confrontations (although 200 people will now post some tough talk about what they will do when they see him).

#18226 4 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Dang that chick is bad ass! I think I'm in love

Don't fall in love.

She will chew you up and puke you out.

-

Quoted from Taxman:

But a few vocal A-holes drove her away

Molly is still here, don't worry.

#18251 4 years ago
Quoted from Nibbles:

Maybe he's getting ready to live in the pod?

Maybe he came from one.

pod.jpg

#18300 4 years ago

The state must REALLY love all the bars and party stores that let you "play the daily".

You place your 3 number bet directly with the bar or party store.

The state chooses the 3 numbers live on TV every night.

The bar pays you double what the state would have for the same bet ($1 straight bet wins $1000 at the bar).

2 months later
#18502 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

time to close this tread.
Nothing new last 100 pages.

John, we will never forget how you ripped everyone off.

Quit trying to bury the evidence.

2 weeks later
#18590 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Beautiful nano homes? Is John going to patent Tiny Homes next? (spoiler warning they aren't that cheap)

Like those nano hotel rooms in Tokyo?

snygo_files-001-9hourscapsulehotel_(resized).jpg

#18594 3 years ago

Example 3: Mechanical tool

> Patent search with attorney opinion = $1,250

> Provisional patent application prepared and filed = $2,000

> Filing fee to the USPTO = $130 (small entity)

> Nonprovisional patent application based off provisional filing = $7,500

> Filing fee to the USPTO for nonprovisional patent application = $800 (small entity)

> Professional illustrations for nonprovisional patent application = $400

====================================================
=TOTAL COST through filing nonprovisional patent application = $12,080 (if provisional patent application is skipped the cost would be $130 less)

#18598 3 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Perfect for exhibitionists.

They have curtains or LCD blackout depending on the hotel.

42-153600101-1680x1050_(resized).jpg

#18650 3 years ago

shut_up_(resized).jpg

1 month later
#18700 3 years ago

I know ZY was working on an alt translight.

1 month later
#18776 3 years ago
Quoted from woodworker:

Announce RAZA when MG money is gone. Announce AIW when RAZA money is gone

Announce KISS (with scab artwork) when all the money is gone.....

scabs_(resized).jpg

4 months later
#19184 3 years ago
Quoted from bounoun:

Who should they cast for JPOP?

al (resized).png

#19185 3 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

My downfall was that I believed him on his supposedly designer reputation alone, and gave him money.

You can't blame yourself.

Everyone has fallen for, and defended, their childhood heroes, despite the blatant evidence that others can clearly see.

Michael Jackson, OJ Simpson, Bill Cosby, Jerry Sandusky...........

#19215 3 years ago

I don't think a single thing at Outback Steakhouse is Australian.

I used to see those "blooming onions" in New Orleans long before Outback came around, Alice Springs Chicken Quesadillas are clearly from southern Mexico, and I've never seen a **steakhouse** of any kind in Australia.

Any of you Aussies regularly go to a steakhouse, eat fried whole onions, or chicken quesadillas?

#19242 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

outback steakhouse is 'Australian themed', the food however has nothing to do with Australia, by any stretch of the imagination.

I always liked the Jermaine Clement Outback commercials, because he is from New Zealand.

Outback just seems totally clueless

(just in case you don't know who Jermaine Clement is

#19245 3 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Clueless maybe, but Bloomin' Brands (Outback owner) did over $1billion in sales last QUARTER, so somebody is eating there .

Clueless people maybe?

4 weeks later
#19660 3 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

I won't hold my breath.

I see what you did there.....

#19904 3 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

I can guaranty you if jpop ever says anything about the entire delema it will be that its pinsiders fault for the issues at the end when he was looking for outside investors to help get him out of a hole... He won't take all the blame... Put money on it

Wait, are you saying it's not Pinside's fault?

4 months later
#22249 2 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Is it just me, or does it drive anyone else up the wall when people refer to their phone as their I-phone? Like I never would say "Hey, thanks for calling David's droid turbo, please leave a message!". Its a phone dude, no need to be specific about the make.

I just thing a lot of people don't know about the technology.

-sent from my iPhone

#22265 2 years ago

In the video with the playfield lifted up, there appears to be a bunch of Molex connectors that are not connected to anything, near the rear of the playfield.

Does the schematic show what these were intended for? Switches? Coils? Magnets?

#22379 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Alice in Wonderland is not licensed IP by anyone, it is open IP (some interpretations of it are licensed like the two Disney movies). If pinball stays popular for awhile someone will eventually do the theme but it won't be Zidware in my estimation.

Eventually

alice in wonderland (resized).jpg

#22385 2 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

I respectfully disagree. WC Fields said something, can't quite remember what it was...

Any man who hates dogs and babies can't be all bad?

#22418 2 years ago
Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

Really, what about BBB. Didn't the price of that game start the boutique preorder nonsense?

Not really.

The game won a bunch of awards at the coin-op shows, then Capcom closed, then Williams bought the rights, then Williams closed.

Then Gene bought the rights and made ~200 of them for $4500.

#22420 2 years ago

When did the price of these start going for 20k?

A few years ago.

#22426 2 years ago

Was pretty much my point. If that game did not sell for 20k a couple years ago, no game would have been sold for 15k+ from Stern or anyone else.

I don't think we can blame BBB. It was selling for $6K and $13K for a long time before it went up to $20K.

A NIB Medieval Madness went for $29K a few years ago.....I'd blame that before I'd blame anything else.

A game can't just be rare (The single Stern Lazer Lord ever made sold for only $7k), it has to have have a popular following to command $$$$$$$

#22789 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Didn't you owners have to sign an agreement with JPOP that you couldn't sell MG without giving him first option to buy it back?

I think you had to give up breeding rights, or give Jplop pick of the litter.

1 week later
#23087 2 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Lots of for sales from original buyers.

Can't blame them.

It is a constant reminder of 5 years of gut wrenching pain.

#23090 2 years ago

Real journalists always leave gobs of contact info, knowing that you are doing them a favor.

#23095 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

If it was so painful, you guys would be dumping it for what you paid.

Many ponied up for 2-3 games.

Got to get your money back for all 3, cuz you ain't getting no mo....

1 month later
#23329 2 years ago

Habitual Line Steppers are the worst.

2 weeks later
#23487 2 years ago

Anyone can patent anything.

It's DEFENDING that patent that can be hard and expensive.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 32.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Mods for your pinballs
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vid1900.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside