New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,335 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 164 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,697 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 3.39.04 PM (resized).png
sucks (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

24 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7211 Zombie Yeti (Jeremy Packer), first post on the Magic Girl/JPop fiasco Posted by zombieyeti (5 years ago)

Post #20523 Link to legal documents with allegations & responses Posted by DennisK (3 years ago)

Post #20526 Third amended complain document Posted by c508 (3 years ago)

Post #20532 Summary of complaints & responses in legal documents Posted by DennisK (3 years ago)

Post #20626 MG is now ready! Posted by TecumsehPlissken (3 years ago)

Post #20631 Scott Goldberg mail on MG completion Posted by TecumsehPlissken (3 years ago)

Post #21819 Information on webpage dedicated to Magic Girl Code Features. Posted by applejuice (3 years ago)

Post #22024 moderation notice Posted by Xerico (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rotordave.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#321 6 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Very cool.
I'm curious... what are the terms of this "case of beer" bet between iceman and RD?

I haven't been on this thread for a while ... (I don't have anything preordered. Ever...)

Ice and I wagered a case of beer that Ice would have a new JPOP game in his house by Xmas 2014.

Every day, my thirst deepens.

I stopped drinking months ago, so that I may savour the moist drops of Ices beer come December 26th ...

rd.

#327 6 years ago

New Zealand's biggest brewer, Lion Breweries, heard of the famous Iceman-RD wager and have created a special beer to prematurely celebrate our victory (cough...) Us kiwis take a wager seriously!

Check it out! A nice fresh tasting beer it is too.

rd.

image-297.jpg

#501 6 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

I'm sure who ever owns the rights to the movie mars attacks will come after him for using a alien that looks exactly like theirs does

One thing I can't figure out, is why have the Mars Attacks alien on a game called Zombie Adventureland?

Is an alien a zombie? Not in my books ...

Is a zombie an alien? Hmmmm ... Probably not.

If the game was called "alien anal probers from outta space!" then sweet as.

But aliens don't really fit the zombie theme IMO.

rd.

#975 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Happy to report John gets "the Lebowski effect" as he calls it on the blog
He's announced new team members and brought on a much needed "project manager" to help him organize production, timelines, etc
MG "on a rug" reveal in Dec. Good to know he still has a sense of humor after the beating he took. And then RAZA shortly thereafter.
Here is hoping he can create the "Jpop effect"
Yes I will be paying RD for a case of beer!

Well, I take no pleasure in winning the bet. It'd would have been cool if you'd got your games by Xmas.

However, drinking your beer will elicit pleasure.

Hmmmmmm an ethical quandary!

And how will we get a case of Modelo from Texas to Auckland? Logistics!

Or the local supermarket is doing 24 Coronas for $42 NZD ....

Ohhhh I wish we had a Walmart with $9 Dozens ... But hey, we don't ...

Good news that JPOP has a production dude. I did make that comment about the time we made the bet ... Or maybe before that. Creative ideas dudes like JPOP (I know a few like him...) need someone to focus them on the job in hand. Otherwise nothing ever gets done. So today is a step in the right direction. I hope he employed the right guy.

rd.

#977 6 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Jpop told me in person Stern came in half way through and scooped it on him. Its Gene Simmons...its all about the money not the art or game play!

And that makes Gene different from any other licenser how?

None/most of them couldn't care less about pinball. They just want a check.

There was a comment made in the Hobbit thread that the licenser didn't want Smaug to be hit with the ball or "interact" with the ball.

Well, considering BALROG gets hit with the ball in LOTR, and you shoot the ball through the ring, etc etc etc, you'd have to question that, wouldn't you ...?

rd.

#979 6 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

RD never said he was any different which is exactly why Jpop should have never gone there in the first place and more importantly why I have money down on Jpop's designs!

Maybe JPOP chased the KISS licence because like it or not KISS = $$$$

1000+ KISS games sure sounds better than 20 Magic Girls money wise.

Anyways, I hope these prototypes show up in December as promised.

rd.

#984 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I'm sure most will disagree, but in my view of the world, if Stern knew Jpop was in talks with them and swooped in to take it, while not illegal by any means, does strike me as scummy.
If they did not know and it was just something they were pursuing since they have been doing a series of old rock and roll bands, then no harm no foul.
If KISS liked the idea from jpop, and decided to shop it around and brought it to Stern, then hard to hold it against Stern, but would have been nice if they passed on it, if they knew Jpop had been pursuing it. Not saying I would have expected Stern to do that, but would like to see that type of behavior in such a small ecosystem, no matter how unrealistic that is.

Gary told me in February that they had been chasing KISS for years but Gene wanted a lump sum payment up front and that always killed the deal.

So no "scummy" involved here. Gene just came to his senses in the end.

rd.

#1043 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I think my suggestion/prediction is going to come true!
Jpop is going to team up on a joint venture basis with JJP. It's a marriage made in heaven. He can help them obviously and John certainly needs the "outside muscle"!
Stay tuned.

He needs to team with someone. Be it JJP, Stern, Spooky. Maybe not Stern.

If he doesn't do this, I realistically can't see any games being made. Not in the qtys required anyway.

If he starts making them in his workshop, realistically how many could he make a week? One?

When JJP started production, they were reported to be making two machines a week (!!) to start. And that's a company with lots of employees, lots of resources, etc etc.

Hypothetically, if he teamed with JJP/Spooky to build them, he could work in the factory doing the final QC to make sure that he was happy with each machine before dispatch.

It's the only logical way to move forward with this project. The only reason not to do it this way would be ego or greed (you'd think you'd make more $$ if you can do everything yourself...however, if you sell nothing, maybe you don't ...)

rd.

2 weeks later
#1105 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

All Quiet on the front lines. Thinking no news is good news

Ice old mate, you'd have to be the most optimistic dude Ive ever met!

Wishing the best for December ... But not holding my breath.

rd

#1110 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

RD, are you talking about next December? haha
I would say I'm a glass half full kind of guy but I usually drain every last drop
Two more xmas's, next December? So you're saying there's a chance!

Do I smell another Ice-RD wager coming up? Hmmmmmm

I already polished off my last winnings. In fact they only lasted 2 days.

rd.

#1112 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Yeah we will come up with another wager of some sort! 2 days, that would be about right for me too.

What a bunch of sad asses we are. Lol!

rd.

#1117 6 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Gene had much deeper pockets then jpop does. Big diff

And a big pile of old parts he could use or sell to fund it.

rd.

1 week later
#1171 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I swear I've never seen anything like it. Pinball people have the greatest lack of self awareness that I've ever seen.

Says the dude with 25 preorders.

Sorry Ice, couldn't resisit!!

Still keen on that Xmas 2015 bet?

rd.

#1175 6 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Getting thirsty, Dave?

Oooooh yeah, Icemans beer tastes sweeeeeet.

rd.

#1197 6 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

So true. Increasing the build quantity may be the only play left here for acquiring a partner. And, let's face it, John cannot build the 200+ games he has committed to with his current staff level. I believe it was RD who speculated that he could only build 1 a week tops at current capacity. Hell, that is an entire year just for MG production alone and five more for RAZA and AIW.

Yeah .. I don't want to be pessimistic but I am a realist.

It takes me a week to *shop* a game fully. And that's an RD week which is anywhere from 60-80 hours working time. Not 40 hours a week like a guy on a shop floor.

I honestly don't think that a really anal OCD guy could build a machine from scratch in a month, let alone a week.

The only way these machines are gonna happen ever is if the production gets sent out to someone.

rd.

#1216 6 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

"All students will be required to sign an NDA"

"All students will pay in full by 1 December 2014. Class will be in approx 2019"

rd.

#1252 6 years ago

I sort of agree on the letter ... I think you're 100% within your rights to get a refund based on non delivery, but maybe the bankruptcy stuff wasn't necessary. I do wish you luck though!

It'd be pretty hard to plough through $812,000 in two years though. That's a lot of coin. Unless you were buying Ferraris, lots of properties, or mountains of coke and an avalanche of hookers, you'd be hard pressed to blow 800k.

Even Eggbert can live on $3500 a month.

rd.

#1255 6 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Developing parts, building rent, paying his small crew a salary, and the big one is patent work... The amount of money to file for patents is in the thousands. Generally it's minimal to start. But after a year to continue the patent process can cost upwards of $8-10k each patent... $800k is not a lot of money to go through for this type of Buisness.

Well, I have no doubt you could do it ... However, it'd be the worst run business in the world if he did.

rd.

#1261 6 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

Maybe JPOP is stockpiling Shasta.

Well, with $800,000 you should be able to negotiate a very good quantity discount.

Then turn around and sell it for more.

Turn your $800,000 into $1,000,000 within a few months.

As opposed to turning it into .... Ummmmmm ...

rd.

#1351 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Most annoying poster on Pinside.

He's douchtastic!

It must be lonely sitting in that tiny apartment with his TMNT sheet set.

rd.

1 week later
#1541 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Yes counselor, I would simply like to cross examine the declarant at to the veracity of his statements, the context of which they were made, the basis of the contract/agreement with Zidware and GL, the amount of the damages, etc.

Oh no!! Lawyer smack down!!

image.jpg

#1560 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I'd just like my game.

At the end of the day, that's what everyone wants to see ... You dudes get your pins.

rd.

#1658 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Yeah Charlie and the Spooky crew are definitely gods amongst men. Ben Heck deserves a lot of credit as well for knowing how to get things done. Him leaving this game hasn't helped.

I don't know about gods, but they just have the intestinal fortitude to man up and get the f#%king job done.

The older I get, the more I discover most people just aren't prepared to "get the job done". I could regale the group with plentiful stories .. But I'll spare you.

Someone said above that the JPOP games have reportedly had 3000 hours spent on the artwork.

Now, working that out, that's claiming that someone sat at a computer/pad NON STOP for 75 full 40 hour working weeks. That seems pretty unfeasible to me.

75 working weeks, you should be churning the freaking machines out the door.

rd.

#1667 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

That was figured using the same calculator that claims Jpop has 30 years of experience building pinballs.

I think so.

The funny thing is, from the start, people bought into this whole thing because of the "great games" JPOP designed for Bally Williams in the 1990s.

I was shopping up my Theatre of Magic last weekend, and if you look down the bottom left hand side, it lists like 10-15 people involved with the game.

Then, on the inside of the plastic ramp (top left hand side) there is a piece of paper taped in there which thanks another 10-15 odd people who had input to the game. Steve Ritchie was one of the names there.

So a crew of 100s designed/made/built TOM ... I don't know how one dude is going to do it without a crew of motivated workers to focus him and get the job done.

I really hope the reveal is good ... It's due this coming Wednesday isn't it?

rd.

#1669 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I love the "man up and get the f#%king job done" attitude, but there needs to be some balance as well. I think Andrew Heighway has this attitude, but it may have led to the departure of Dennis Nordman from the company.

No idea of the situation at Heighway, and probably only those two guys do. The reality of one guy living in the USA and the machine being built in Wales is probably a big factor, I would think. Maybe Dennis didn't want to commit to moving to Wales for 3 months solid. Dunno!

Not related to the above discussion, but as a business owner, you soon discover that not everyone is as motivated as you to "get the f#%king job done" In fact, a lot of business owners I know can't get the f#%king job done themselves!! They'd rather go fishing.

I prefer to go fishing after the f#%king job is done ... Then I don't have to worry about it any more.

rd.

#1678 5 years ago

There seems to be a some sort of conception out there that JPOP does art on his pins.

I've never seen any evidence of this ... All his Williams projects had artists attached to them.

Where does this belief come from?

Is it just because his BW pins had cool artwork so people associate this with JPOP?

Serious question ... I don't know the answer.

rd.

#1684 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Right?! Why do you think I'm constantly bitching about this?

Really? I'd never noticed that.

Quoted from Aurich:

Which is fine! I don't expect Steve Ritchie or John Borg to be awesome artists. But somehow Jpop seems to get the credit. Like I said, maybe the NDA people have seen something cool and awesome. The rest of us plebes? We've only seen things other people have done. None of that art is his.

Good that I wasn't the only one thinking this then.

rd.

#1778 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Serious question, does anyone know of a single other industry that operates like all these pinball companies?

No. Not that I have ever seen.

And I've never seen people so eager to pay money for something that doesn't exist either.

That's not a dig at you JPOP guys ... It's across the board, Predator, TBL, the lot of them.

It all just seems insane to me.

Even I (shock! Horror!) prepaid for a Whitewater Topper on the promise that I would have it shipped within a few weeks. Well, 18 months later I still haven't got it and the guy has gone AWOL. At least it was only $150 but still exactly the same scenario.

It's as though everyone has the "Iceman Syndrome" hahaha!!

rd.

#1879 5 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

You'd swear he was getting paid by the hour for this stuff, making up things to revise left and right

Well, arguably he is. By you guys.

rd.

#1899 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

And where's Ice? Not one owner can describe what they saw in generic terms? Complete BS and FAIL by JPOP here. He will see zero more dollars from me until I see a physical MG is being shipped. I suggest and urge all others to do the same.

I concur with this. You guys should all join forces and form a united front.

rd.

#1916 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Wtf? Just another disappointing milestone in the Jpop sad saga.
The NDA is a farce, somebody better start revealing something

Look out everyone!! Ice is about to start "revealing himself!"

image.jpg

#2067 5 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

No, you're not. I had the same thought last night while reading this and thinking about what a mess this appears to be. The name Poponziduik kept popping up in my head. No, I'm not kidding. Wish I was.

Ponziadiuk

rd.

#2144 5 years ago
Quoted from Shrub_Light:

I'm gonna take a shit in my shirt and mail it back to him.

Best post in the thread.

rd.

#2157 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You're in IL...just fucking camp out on his front door till he gives you back what's yours

Exactly. Just go down there and get the money back. And don't leave until you have it.

rd.

#2191 5 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

But from what I know, there's a game very close to being shown. The reveal has begun

WTF do you know about it? Seriously?

Best you stick to making T-shirts with your own name on them.

rd.

#2440 5 years ago

Thanks for posting the video. That guys art looks mean ass alright! I wish I could draw like that.

But I sure echo the sentiments of some of the buyers here ... Why do you need to see that on an Adobe video? You should already have seen all that stuff.

Sure seems like a weird-ass way to run a business.

rd.

1 week later
#2648 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Hi guys, jpop got upset so many people saw his raza translight and made another version... I think this works better for what he's doing

I googled that and read all that guys comics.

Ohhhh goodness.

That dude sure has a facination with male horse privates ...

rd.

#2653 5 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

..and you had to read "all" the comics before coming to that conclusion?

One needs to research thoroughly before passing comment.

Actually, it was funny .. There was a Monster Bash themed strip, a Predator theme strip and a T2 based strip as well as Zombie Adventureland so some real pinball tie in there. Never seen any horse c**ks on a pinball though. Oh yeah, there is one machine now I think of it ....

rd.

#2657 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

"Woah Nellie"? : p

Don't think that's got any massive danglers on it?

However, Google "IPDB big dick" and you'll see some.

rd.

#2826 5 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

I do too, but considering both of them have denied building/purchasing WOOLY, a larger run than any of JPop's games, I think we have to assume neither is going to help out here.

Yes, but the WOOLY thing is based on a throwaway one liner in the WOOLY thread.

Who knows what discussions took place?

"Hi Gary. I'm Scott. I've designed a pinball machine. I think it's pretty neat. You want to buy it?"

"Hi Scott. I hear that 20 times at every expo. No thanks"

It could have been as simple as that.

I'm sure if someone fronted up there with cash monies and said "Gary and your mates, make me 100 pinball machines next month. Here's your money" then Gary would be holding out his hand (the one without the vodka lol) and taking it. "Thanks very much"

Here's me and Gary discussing my infamous HERPES pin project ... Cough cough ...

image.jpg

2 weeks later
#3407 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Here's a place a few doors down from his place, $89k to buy
http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/18692404/33-Sangra-Court-Streamwood-IL/
Here's another one not far away, $1.16/sq ft monthly rental ($1600 for 1400 square feet, looks very similiar to JPOP's place)
http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/18997593/51-Sangra-Court-Streamwood-IL/

$89,000 for a commercial property? Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez thats cheap!

Why would you pay $1600 a month (19,2000 a year) to rent when you can buy for $89k?

In NZ that place would cost 4x that price.

Mind you, supply and demand I guess. When I was driving across the USA last May, there sure were a lot of empty buildings everywhere.

rd

1 week later
#3699 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Something about her face makes me hear the song "dude looks like a lady".

Yeah man! Looks like a purple Fafafini.

(Google that for your daily Southern Hemisphere education ...)

rd.

1 week later
#3858 5 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

There's probably 100x the parts in a Rolls.

Doubtful. A car is a car. If it's got TVs and refrigerators in the back, it'll require more stuff. But otherwise ...

Same as a pin. A TZ doesn't have 100x the parts of a Vacation America. It has more, but not 100x. My guess would be 1.5x.

rd.

#3963 5 years ago
Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

Hey you guys check his FB page.New pic of play field detail.A newton ball shot with some stand ups

I don't think that looks right ... Maybe he just staged the photo as a tribute to "tiger saw"

You can see the cut out in the timber is for 3 stand up targets, not a Newton ball. A Newton ball will move if it's mounted like that.

rd

#3967 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I assumed that the ball had a welded post under it, so that it was screwed in from underneath.

Newton balls do have a post on them. However they are usually mounted through a post sized hole in the PF. If it was mounted on a slot with a washer above and below, it'll move. Hence why I thought it was a mock up.

image.jpg

rd

#3982 5 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

What if I were to tell you that AIW will have a Liger Saw?

That's what happens when you lay a TOM Playfield on top of a MG playfield.

These things will breed!

rd

2 weeks later
#4123 5 years ago
Quoted from DevilsTuner:

It sucks but he see's us as cash thats in a wallet. Take it out when you want it keep it closed when you dont.

Akumazeto, is that you?

rd.

#4125 5 years ago
Quoted from DevilsTuner:

YUP!
Still allowed a opinion even if most dont like it I have been well behaved. Now lets make a PP 4 rotor

I picked it was you as soon as you rejoined!! Do I get a prize?

Two kiwi companies making 4 Rotors. Maybe I should put one in my Lincoln Hearse. Hmmmmmm

rd.

#4457 5 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

2339_bye.jpg
The legal beagle crap is more sewage than outrageous pinball speculation will ever be.

Exactly.

The "I know more than you so you are a moron" holier than thou crap is more sewage than outrageous pinball speculation will ever be.

Jeeeeeez

At the end of the day, JPOP has only himself to blame for this whole mess.

A simple 60 second email once a week to owners, and this thread wouldn't even exist.

Now poor old Iceman has to waste half his life trying to help the guy.

Plus Ice is down 24 beers that he had to give me in an ill-advised bet. The whole thing is a huge downer.

So there.

heh.

rd.

#4531 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Well...just for clarification....I'm a lawyer too.

God save us all from this plague of lawyers!

rd.

#4846 5 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

With the significant amount of money raised, I don't understand why people are being asked to work for free. Working for credit against an upcoming macbine makes sense as trade, but asking people to work for free for a for profit company doesn't make sense.

Didn't you know, it's jpops new project!!

Pinballs for Humanity.

rd.

#4847 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Having owners show up and work for a few hours/days in the shop is one thing, but these are not buyers. These are people looking to get paid and then have the terms changed on them. Really not liking what I'm hearing.

When I bought my Lexus, I popped down the Lexus plant a few days a week and screwed the doors on.

Worked out quite sweet.

rd.

#4949 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Now I realize that so many of the rubberneckers want to see this thing crash and burn horribly and it makes for great conversation on here, and I've been as critical as anybody, but the BS and smart ass rhetoric doesn't do a damn thing.

Icey, I haven't picked that up at all. The overwhelming mood is one of "I hope you guys get your games"

Nobody wants to see someone lose $10,000 or $16,000 bucks. Or $26,000 in some cases.

rd.

#5098 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Well Greg, how did Ben and Charlie get it done?
In fact, Ben was part of the original game and team. Thanks for bailing out Ben!

In this world, some dudes are "get it done" guys, and the majority are not.

Simple as that.

Some people will work 7 days a week to get to the end goal ... Most would rather go fishing.

Sounds like JPOP pulls the hours (so he says) but without any direction, no end goal will ever be met.

rd

#5099 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Spot on again, I can admit in hindsight it was a stupid move. That's ok, won't be the last one I ever make. And I knew and accepted all along that I could lose money, so what, what really sucks is having to lose a case of beer on a Jpop bet to RD and possibly having to admit that Rare and Rob were right this time!

Lol!! And great tasting beer it was too.

Look, I don't want to be the guy who says "told ya" but even two years back, the reality of the skitB guys making 100s of pinball machines in their spare time in a basement just wasn't a reality. There was no way that was ever going to happen. Same with JPOP, I don't know the guy but the reality of a really fussy, anal retentive guy somehow pumping a heap of machines out of a unit somewhere wasn't overly likely to happen either.

Hopefully (I mean that sincerely) they do get made, but they'll need to be made by Stern, JJP or Spooky if anyone is ever getting one delivered.

rd.

#5105 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Right on RD as usual.
How do you trust people that lie to you again and again and just blame other people for your failures?
At the end of the day, you can forgive honest mistakes right? I think your character and integrity should mean everything, maybe that's why I get so fired up about all this.

Me too Ice.

When I used to employ 20 odd people in my furniture stores and sofa factory, I liked to take on people who I could sense had potential to "better themselves" and try and move them up the ladder of life a little. One guy was 18, working in a gas station, I could see he had a spark and I had him buying his own home 6 years later ($300,000 worth..)

However, I discovered that some people just can't be helped. They were unsavable. They would just internally sabotage any good things you tried to instil.

One guy in particular, he had a sofa factory, he made good sofas, but he went bust so I bought all his gear and gave him a job working for me running my factory. One day I go there and the guy has my staff making things for his own customers on the side. Whaaaat! That was 10 years ago, and that guy still lives in a caravan today. And he always will.

Downer.

rd.

#5225 5 years ago
Quoted from woodworker:

Wait a minute...

So who is telling the truth here?

My money is on the Iceman.

rd.

#5228 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

From my conversations with Ice, I believe he is a realist....not a sugar coating type when things get serious.

Oh yeah.

And he pays his beer bets too. That gets high marks from me.

rd.

#5267 5 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

Haha yeah 1k to have jpop assemble the machine plus room and board for a year

And that's just for the cabinet!

Boom boom tish!!

rd.

#5270 5 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

To create a comfortable bed, first line it with shredded NDAs.

Sorta like a rats nest? Hmmmmm

I keeeed!

rd

#5441 5 years ago
Quoted from notaflyingtoy:

In a different thread, back in October, 2013, jpop posted: said:
well I think there are a lot of new people in the hobby, which is now more like high priced art. Good in some cases but bad (for ops) in others. Very complicated but good for people wanting new stuff. When does Stern start buying out the competition and bring them into the fold? Jpop

Maybe in the back of his mind, that's what he's hoping for ... A buyout of his designs and IP.

One would have to ask, why hasn't either (or any) of the two main pinball companies given him a job?

All the other old designers have jobs ... Ritchie, Gomez, Nordman, Freres, Lawler, Balcher, etc etc etc.

Maybe the guys in charge have all been JPOPPED once too often.

Sterns too clever to pay money for a company like this. They'd just wait till it falls over and make their own versions.

My money is on a Stern Predator pin in the next year or two. Nothing in common with the failed one ... Sterns own version. Why not? Proven market for it, and willing buyers with (hopefully) 4750 ready to spend on a new pin.

That's what I'd do anyway.

rd.

#5454 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

F*ck Predator, don't care who makes it.
You guys can have it. It's tainted garbage
$4750 RD? That's a joke right?

Wishful thinking maybe. . Hoping everyone gets their refund from the boys in the basement.

Talking of that, who was it that said that you couldn't make 250 pins in a basement? Hmmmm ...

Predator or Alien do nothing for me personally ... But if you guys like em, sweet by me.

I just hope all these clowns pull finger out and deliver what they promised they would do. Years ago.

Man, I couldn't sleep at night when a sofa order was a day late. How these guys can sleep is beyond me.

rd.

#5455 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I've already got Aliens

Don't go down that path again Icey!

rd.

#5463 5 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Agreed. There is no chance Stern would even consider finishing 3 incomplete games for a combined run of under 250 units. If they could do expand full runs on each, then we have a different scenario. I'll include JJP, Heighway, Spooky in this assumption as well.

Stern would never get involved with any of these clowns.

Again, they'd just wait for them to fold then calmly ring Fox and snag the licence.

Easy peasey japanesey.

Then put Predator into production. If done right, it could be Ironman mark II.

rd.

#5471 5 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

I'd put money down for a Crock Cruncher ....

Cock cruncher? Ouch!!!

rd

#5609 5 years ago

"Wow, the balls on that guy!"

image.jpg

#5711 5 years ago
Quoted from s1500:

A couple years ago I saw a 'jpop' on Multimorphic's forums. Not 100% sure if it was him though, as anyone could have signed up with the name jpop.

That's because it's ok to spy on other dudes, but it's "great harm" if they see your stuff.

Is there a name for this psychological condition?

rd

#5804 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I posted something before, about why John should keep his customers happy. It's most likely self evident. But just think, John probably has as customers his biggest supporters, the guys that went out on a limb for him and his ideas. They didn't do it for the actual pinball machine as much as for who was making the pinball machines. Also, only John's credibility was what enabled him to charge $17,000 for a pin. It's like people will spend $400K for a Rolls Royce but not for a Lexus.

Unless it's this Lexus ... $465,000 usd and they're all sold out.

image.jpg

1 week later
#6053 5 years ago

If the Iceman has thrown in the towel ... She's all done. Stick a fork in it.

I'm having a Corona for you Icey ... And another for all you other guys who are in on this.

Man .. I'm frustrated not getting my $200 Whitewater topper for 2 years, I can only image what a pain in the ass this is for you guys.

rd.

1 week later
#6434 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

"The Master's"? Who's the Master!?
You in some kind of cult, Ice!?

I knew it!! Manos!! Hands of Fate!!

Iceman is Torgo! He talks a little funny so that's why JPOP thought he was boozed!!

And JPOP is the Master!!

And that little dog he posted pics of is one of the Hounds from Hell!!

Everything is explained!

rd.

image.jpg

#6444 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

RD, I'm heading out to throw down several Coronas at the Lodge Hospitality Party. I'll tip one just for you. Actually, sending you that case of beer on the Jpop bet I lost to you is at least one of the few highlights I can look back on when its all said and done.
Btw, the Master's involves people hitting a white ball with a stick thing on what is called a golf course. It's not rugby, so there is no ripping your nutsack apart but its still pretty entertaining.

Oh, the Masters is huge here too. The amount of coverage the World #110 gets is astounding (a Mr T Woods)

Personally, watching golf is right up there with watching paint dry, but hey, that's me!!

Last time I played golf (about 10-15 years ago) I got so pissed off I threw my golf club into a tree and left it there. Then I went to the bar. Best move ever. Never been back.

rd.

#6445 5 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

At least you got rid of those awful Coronas.
If you win the next bet, RD will send Fosters.

I would never be that mean to anybody.

rd.

#6456 5 years ago
Quoted from Join_The_Cirqus:

2015-04-10-18-54-02.png (Click image to enlarge)
2015-04-10-18-53-15.png (Click image to enlarge)

You were JPOPPED on the 4th October 2015? In the future!

(What is it with you guys and your backwards dates lol next thing you'll be measuring things with antiquated methods divisable by 12 or something ... )

rd.

#6477 5 years ago

Nice one.

rd.

#6561 5 years ago
Quoted from sammiesguys:

I have a strong feeling those aren't the only accounts he has.

I picked it was him straight away. I'd be pretty confident in saying he has some mental issues.

(No need to PM me please Mr Kaneda)

rd.

#6648 5 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Sometimes with pro bono work, you actually get what you pay for.
image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Hey!! Single handedly getting Guns N Roses Chinese Democracy album released paid for those Turtles sheets!!!

rd.

#6704 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Can you imagine if a car dealer let you preorder a car 4 years ago, missed deadlines constantly and told you that you couldn't get your money back? Then their PR guy told you today it wouldn't be ready until 2017, as a JOKE?
No, you can't imagine that, because it's unbelievably stupid.

And the car dealer made you pay in full for the car when you ordered.

I think the same thing every time I read this thread.

The pinball preorder guys have been more than accommodating and patient with all the preorders.

Any other consumer item, there would be angry people lined up down the road with pitchforks and torches.

Imagine what would happen if Apple delivers its iwatch thing one day late ... There will be riots in the street.

rd.

#6736 5 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

Cirqus Voltaire is the greatest pinball ever made

Whhhhooooooh momma!!

image.jpg

2 weeks later
#7787 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Rai, I think 2 c. Is the only way we see pins
I'm supposed to be in Chicago for business June 14-16.
If I go, that face to face with John should be interesting

Do it! Get someone to video it and I'll send you your dozen beers back

rd.

#7794 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You are on RD!!! Maybe I can get somebody to video me doing an interview with him
Ben said he had no clue about the pin building in your home.

I tell you what, Ben would not have been happy if he had to fly to my house to assemble it for $1000.

rd.

#7796 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

That's true. $1000 would get me about halfway across the Pacific and I'd have to swim the rest of the way

Well, as long as I knew you were coming, I could meet you half way with a boat. My mate has a duck hunting boat I could borrow.

Nice one!!

rd.

#8058 5 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Unfortunately, there is a benefit to hunkering down and waiting. In a bankruptcy case, the reach-back period ......

How long is the "reach around" period?

rd.

#8328 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

If Stern could drop the PF into their standard boxes, have a traditional DMD, just standard Stern parts. They could have a ready made non licensed pin by a famous designer that they could sell for ~ $8k or about what MMR costs.
I'm not saying the current owners would get anything out of this arrangement, but if Stern was interested in paying a fee to get the art and design rights, and then Stern codes it. I think it could be a modest success.
Not saying Stern would be interested if it was 26 units. But Stern could probably make a profit selling 500 or more pins.

Honestly, I would think this would be a good scenario for everyone.

1/ JPop gives his design to Stern for free (ie no cash or residual commission)
Stern completes the development and the code. They can make as many as they want. If it plays nice and the code is good, they may sell a thousand or more.

2/ In return, Stern gives JPop 16x populated playfields, spikes etc

3/ JPop makes 16x "wanky cabinets" with special hinges and artwork (he's got plenty to choose from) and installs the Stern playfields and running gear. These go to the 16 original dudes, who get a very limited edition model as thanks for 5 years of being tooled around. Making 16 cabinets (he already has some) and slotting in the running gear is a pretty simple job.

That'd be a win-win for all.

Stern wins ... They sell some games.

JPop wins ... His design gets made and he has a model he can use again goin forward (say 50 LE JPop Raza with stern selling the rest)

The customers win ... They get their games, and it's a 1 of 16 LE model.

How's that scenario sound?

rd

#8541 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I have not been paying full attention to this saga so i would need to be briefed on what I need to look for and what questions need to be answered.

The facts .... Quick summary:

- a lot of money paid
- a long time ago
- not much to show for it
- lots of art revisions
- lots of angry punters
- lots of angry vendors
- zero communication
- phone answering fail
- great harm
- generally not positive

Think that about sums it up.

rd.

#8544 5 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

You forgot one
-Zero communication

Updated!

rd.

#8889 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

All I can think of when I see both the wiggle ramps and that big long, steep spiral is "wow, this is going to play slow".

Cyclone phoned ... It wants its wiggle ramps back.

rd.

#8978 5 years ago
Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

Magic Girl:Jpop's name in prison

Now that's a LOL!

rd.

#9101 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I slept on the floor of my office 20 years ago for 2 years as I started a previous business. Not something I would do today with a family, but those are the sacrifices you make.
I still don't even take a salary from my current business, I pay myself dividends from profits. Fortunately I deliver product to customers, so I actually generate a profit

I started building my 12 unit business park in 2007, just before the crisis. I had a pile of cash and my bank said they'd loan me $1m to finish it. Well, the crisis came along and they changed their mind ... No loan for RD!

So I sold my house and all three of us (me, wife, 7 year old girl) moved into an empty concrete shell unit. We had all our furniture in a pile and we set up the beds and camped out. The sun would come in the clear roof at sunrise and blind us lol. The beds were in the corner, and we were surrounded by pinball machines and furniture. It was bloody cold down there I can tell you! There was a portapotty at the far end of the site for the concrete contractors and if you wanted a poop, you had to hike 100 meters through the mud and rain.

Anyways, that's what I did. I walked to work every day (I was on the worksite!!) and built the whole business park myself (except the shells which were done by a contractor) I'm not a builder, I'm a furniture salesman. But over 2 years I found 11 tenants and built all the units to suit them. (I kept one unit as my warehouse)

I haven't had a salary since 2007.

And hey, it's all paid off. I've been going to tell this story since all this "preorder/prepay" fiasco started, but I didn't want to come off as a dick or something. But hey, that's how all my businesses have started, the furniture stores, the sofa factory, the property company.

The fact that these guys are paying themselves the big bucks while not delivering PAID PRODUCTS to customers is not on. At all.

rd.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

#9174 5 years ago

From one hair brained scheme to the next.

Crazy.

rd.

#9785 5 years ago

All ready for a bombshell ...?

A good friend of mine emailed JPOOP 2 weeks ago asking if he could still buy a AIW.

HE HAD A REPLY IN 9 MINUTES.

(The times show an hour but he sent it from eastern time zone ... Reply was 9 minutes)

JPOOP would have known that he was "in the cart" In NZ, that's called "trading while insolvent" and that's a criminal offense. You can't take people's money when there is no chance of delivering. That's fraud.

Here is the email. Names removed to protect the innocent ...

rd.

On 5/5/15 1:01 PM, ******** wrote:
Is alice in wonderland still being made?

How does one order one?
Thanks

On Tuesday, May 5, 2015 2:10 PM, John Popadiuk <jpop@zidware.com> wrote:

Hi,

Yes absolutely. main reveal is here for now. Almost sold out. Currently building the whitewood from this design. To order you would send a Paypal deposit of $4750 (info@zidware.com). A beautiful piece of illustration and pinball it will be.

http://www.alicepinball.org/chapter2/

John

#9794 5 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

for the love of pinball

Even Greater Harm (TM - JPP)

rd

#9850 5 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

If that's real John does need jail time.

It's real all right. I was told about it two days ago, and the recipient asked me to post it.

rd.

#9909 5 years ago

I have been contacted by another Pinsider as a follow up from my previous post about JPop selling games while insolvent.

Again, his identity is kept confidential by myself, in good faith.

This is exactly what he sent me.

<paste>

Not wanting to add flames to the fire, but I emailed John on March 12, 2015
and asked him if any slots were available on all 3 games. John mailed me a
packet with promo artwork, brochures, and purchase agreements for RAZA and
AIW. I emailed him and asked him about MG, and he apologized and said he
has one for me on hold. I received that email March 19, 2015. He followed
up on March 20, 2015 and asked if I needed more info on MG. I debated but
ultimately decided not to purchase and walked away. I had 2 other friends
who did the same thing as me at the exact time, and all of us were promised
a slot for all 3 games. I have the emails if it helps. Just thought I would
let you know.

<end>

FWIW

Thanks to the Pinsider involved for contacting me.

rd.

#9970 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

So here's my concern, how in fact DID he spend so much money

I havent been able to fathom that from the start.

I couldn't blow that much money if I tried.

And if I did, I would have something pretty impressive to show for it.

rd.

#11708 5 years ago

What I can't follow is why are WC and Pintasia both posting?

Is Pintasia actually Bill posting about himself in the third person?

Surely it'd make sense to only have one person talking on behalf of the business.

Be it

A/ Bill

B/ Bill talking about himself in the third person

C/ mystery person talking about Bill.

Amazing to blow through $100,000 in a week one pinball machine.

Once I spent $75,000 in a day on pinball ... But I got 36 machines in return.

rd.

#12074 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

REALITY IS JPOP STILL HAS YOUR MONEY.
It is NOT all gone. Add it up and atleast 25-50% remains. He has lied to you for years so why do you think he is telling you the truth now

I gotta agree with the SnowMan.

There's no way that he has spent $1,000,000 just on development, stock and leases.

It's been what now, 3 full years since this started?

Simple maths says 1,000,000 / 3 = $333,333,333 per annum / 52 = $6500 per week expenditure if it is all gone, and the bank account is ZEROOOOOOO.

The money has to be in his own account as wages, or still in a Zidware account.

As I've said a number of times, I find it hard to believe someone could blow through $1m in 4 years unless they have a huge drug habit or the driveway is full of Ferraris. Neither of those seem to be in evidence here.

JPOP said he didn't have enough money to build the games.

He may have $400,000 ... That is not enough to build ALL the games (MG, RAZA, AIW)

It'd build some of them though.

Honestly I think it all just got TOO HARD for him, and he folded like a deck of cards and put the cue back in the rack.

Hopefully it all comes out in the wash one day.

rd.

#12088 5 years ago
Quoted from yoshootme:

or 108 pinball machines!!! lol wish u would take another epic journey so we could read another "best thread ever" instead of this stuff.....

Thanks for that.

I'm on another "epic journey" through Scandinavia as we speak. Played (very badly) at the ifpa world champs and tonight I'm playing in a comp in Finland with my Finnish mates.

I didn't do a thread this time. I'll do another one when I go back to the States for Expo in October.

PS just found the sweetest Metal store here in HELLsinki. \m/

rd.

image.jpg

#12719 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Pretty F ing disappointing. Not a single taker on my bet. It's 3 cases of beer to 1? What's not to like?
Where's RD for crying out loud?

He was on a plane from Finland to Hong Kong!

Only 2.5 hours Helsinki to Munich plus 1.5 hours layover then 11.5 hours to Hong Kong. Easy!

Rather than making a bet, I say Icey, SnowMan and RD all catch up at Chicago Expo in October and have a beer fest.

First rounds on you! Haha!

rd.

#13762 5 years ago
Quoted from Sparky347:

If nothing else comes from this, Stern and JJP should take notice that there can be a market for non-licenced themes so long as they're innovative and have an art package as impressive as this.

Yeah ... They should notice that there is a market of 16 people and only 183 more are needed to make it happen.

Stern sell 1000s. Not dozens.

rd.

#14223 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Manic and Whysnow, take it to PM please or better yet, both drop it.
For what it is worth I believe Rotordave's email. It looked like JPop's weirdo writing style. Not sure that matters at this point.

Thanks

The email was given to me by a well respected person in pinball circles, he was the one who emailed asking about AIW.

We discussed it first in person. He showed me the email on his phone. Straight from the source. For obvious reasons, he didn't want to post it here so I offered to.

It was 1000% genuine I can assure everyone. That's 10x 100%. So it's gotta be genuine.

I will not disclose his identity, please don't ask me to do so. Just rest assured, it is genuine.

rd.

#14354 5 years ago

Shit, he's back!

rd.

#14850 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

So for me the quiet time, which is no blogging, is full of work, invention and design. We never stop creating and the Mac computers we use are but a tool and not the source of our genius. Chirp…Jpop

What a penis.

His head was so big, it is a wonder it could fit through a doorway.

rd.

#15179 5 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

But then again people are more concerned with Caitlin Jenner than the downfall of our country.

Agree with Aurich, but isn't this quote so true.

The whole post applies to pretty much every country in the world.

rd.

#15272 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Probably not a good time to start a pinball company then. Last time I checked it was something between $200-$600 per person to sign up for obamacare depending on coverage (still better than cobra, but only marginally).

I knew your healthcare systems were whack over there, but now you have an evil empire running an insurer? Cobra? Wow!

image.jpg

#15287 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I don't even play a lawyer on TV, and I haven't read the contract, I'm sure the law suit will sort everything out.
But just from my "real world" perspective, there seems to be a lot of confusion over what exactly was going down here. You weren't hiring a garage door tech, or buying a taco.
You were crown funding a startup business.

I presume you mean "crowd funding" (allowing for a typo...)

Which is wrong. None of these guys entered into a contract to crowd fund anything.

Zidware advertised a product for sale. Buy this Magic Girl pinball machine for $16,000. There will be only 16 made.

Zidware took money on the above terms, broke them (by selling more) and didn't deliver the product.

Absolutely no different to the aforementioned scenario of walking into a McDonalds, paying $3 for a burger and their oven breaks. They give you your $3 back and you go somewhere else for a burger.

I know what you are saying ... Effectively the first buyers were crowd funding. But that is not what they agreed to do. They agreed to purchase a pinball machine, and Zidware agreed to make them and deliver them.

<edit> rare beat me to it ...

rd.

#15388 5 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

He was paying himself, if I recall roughly 7500 a month and he is was out of money or so he said. Even at 90k a year to himself that's almost half right there as he took in about 925k total.

Disgraceful.

rd.

#15695 5 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Q: What's the quickest way to become a Millionaire?
A: Start with an 8-figure net worth, and invest in a pinball company.

Q: How do you make a million dollars in pinball?

A: start with two million dollars

rd.

#15728 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Could everyone please post your net worth so I know if I'm allowed to mess with you?

With the recent depreciation of the NZ dollar against the U.S. Dollar, my net worth has fallen to approximately $12.50 U.S.

Bummer.

rd.

1 week later
#16087 5 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I know it takes a huge effort to do this all, as well as the fine support from my fans

That's the problem right there.

"Fans"

They're your customers bud ... Not "fans" You ain't a rock star. You ain't a movie star. You worked in a pinball factory 20 years ago.

Get off your ass and go make some pinball machines. Or give your "customers" their money back.

rd

#16155 5 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

That one is to flattering, yet still funny.

You gotta preface it with the Willy of course, rolls off the tongue better.

Willy Wonka-diuk.

Willy Wonka-diuk - "Buy a candy bar, win a golden ticket! Bill, you have the golden ticket! You win all my marvelous pinball creations!! And all those little Ompa Lompa guys wandering around aimlessly too! They're my fans!! It's all yours Bill! All yours!!"

Bill - "errrrrr no thanks. I'll give that a pass..."

rd

#16193 5 years ago
Quoted from LapsedGamer:

Yup Rockwell Collins. Its funny reading through all the disclosures, one guy had an idea for mounting a mini gun on front of a plane to eliminate bird strikes, that had a DENIED next to it

Yeah, that sounds like genius.

Imagine a 777 taking off at JFK spraying the neighbourhood with 50cal bullets! Haha!

rd.

#16214 5 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Hey Ben, what ever happened to the glue gun idea in the game....

Its what was used to hold all the cardboard ramps together in the prototype

It was Jpops tribute to Ben and Bens love of the glue gun!

rd

#16229 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

-iceman finds new cell number and drunk texts me at 2am... Ignore... Check

genuine LOL

rd

#16236 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Updated thread title, don't know if it works

Hes back again!!!

rd

#16398 5 years ago

image.jpg

Who is the "we" he is referring to?

His imaginary friend maybe? Sure gets lonely when you're working in a large warehouse 20 hours a day 7 days a week.

rd.

#16588 5 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

If you are a Millionaire, and want a pinball machine built, give Gary Stern or Jersey Jack a call and say "hey, would you build theme xyz for $1 million investment?"

Worked for Ford (Mustang) and WWE.

Gary is happy to take your money if you want something made.

As he did for Aaron Spelling in the 80s.

rd.

#16707 5 years ago

I saw this notebook at the bookshop the other day.

The first think I thought was "Jpop needs this....!"

rd

image.jpg

#16717 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Ha! Distributors? What do they distribute

Dreams.

rd

#16727 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

At this point things have gotten so crazy I have to wonder if this in not a case where the guy actually is bonkers and not in touch with reality.

I think this was established quite some time ago .....

rd.

1 month later
#17282 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

If anyone learns anything, let it be the truth about John Popadiuk. He is a terrible person at his core

Foam core?

Quoted from Pinballs:

Jpop has done immense damage to pinball

GREAT HARM

rd

#17419 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Im not a owner and id come to that

+1. I'll be in the neighbourhood.

rd

1 week later
#17523 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

(Jealous friends claimed I "got lucky" as they suddenly realized I'd risen from beneath them and blew past)

Funny how that happens.

I always find "the harder I work, the luckier I get" seems to be the phrase that works best in that situation.

rd

#17526 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

The expo seminar list is out. Looks like they had the good sense to not include Jpop. I don't know whether I'm happy or sad about that, would've made for some great drama.

Awwwwww man, I was coming to Expo just for that.

rd

#17546 5 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

Nahhhhhh, bad call, as he wouldn't have been able to handle that fast paced/deadline based environment...

Yeah ... Imagine waiting in line for 4 years for your $10,000 foot long. That'd suck balls!

rd

#17560 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

The damage he has done to our hobby is immense.

Great Harm.

rd

2 weeks later
#17699 5 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

I had a hard time staying awake listening to this

Haha I starting listening to it in bed last night about 11pm and I made it through about 15 mins before I dozed off. Must have been the monotone of drivel.

When I started again this morning, when he said "nobody offered to help" I said to Danni "old mate Iceman will lol at that one!!"

rd

#17853 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The biggest mistake ALL of us made was not HAMMERING his ass

Ahhhhh is that what you do down Texas way?

Deliverance Iceman style!! Come here boy!!

rd

#17859 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Negatory RD. We ain't some toothless backwoods packers down here like you are use to in NZ with those nut grabbing rugby players.

Icey Icey Icey ... Remember it was the French guys who are always after All Black nuts.

I tell you what though, when I was in Amarillo last year for THE BEST STEAK ON EARTH (tm) some of those cowboy types were eyeing me up for some Deliverence style action.

Or maybe I'd just had too many beers. And too much steak. Hmmmmmm... Danni_nz hadn't even been drinking and see what happened. Steak madness!!!

rd

#17867 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I've got several gay friends, all are in Austin. Part of what makes "keeping Austin weird" (and great btw

Austin looks like a cool town. I have a tour of Texas planned for 2017 ... Probably!

Quoted from ShaunoftheDead:

Damn, is it just me or does rotordave remind me of Kim Dotcom?

Hmmmm ... Is this good or bad? Can't decide ....

He did have a stinking hot Asian wife .. So that's good ...(But she's gone now, so that's bad for him)

However he is morbidly obese ... So that's bad ...

And the US government want to extradite him from NZ ... So that's bad (for him..)

And he does tend to wear the same black clothes everyday ... I commented the other day that his wardrobe must look like Peter Griffins or Homer Simpson's... You know, when they open the robe and they have rows of the same clothes. . Ironically I am rocking an all black ensemble today as well.... Hmmmm

Hey maybe I am DotCom!!

rd

#17895 5 years ago

Is it just me or is everyone else reading every post like it's supposed to be a Haiku?

rd

#17900 5 years ago

How about a Cinquain?

Jpop
Boutique pinball
million bucks gone
Failure of epic proportions
Shameful

rd

1 week later
#18061 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I delayed taking the "theft and casualty" loss with John until this year, didn't move the needle on a 350k total

The drinks are DEFINITELY on Icey at Expo next week.

rd

#18064 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Always happy to pay for your drinks RD! One of my dumbest bets was with you. What can i say

Well, just be pleased I didn't take you up on any more of your bets and take advantage of you

Lol

rd

#18071 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Well lets see, if the IRS is getting 350k, judging by that you must have grossed at least 400.

Fuck! If the taxman is taking 80% of your income, time for a revolution.

Or at the least, some creative accounting.

Top tax rate in NZ is 30%. And that's too much.

rd

#18116 5 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

I can certainly understand someone getting sucked into JPop's reality distortion field, but betting drinks with a Kiwi? Now that's just fucking stupid!

Lol!!

Quoted from iceman44:

I can't even remember the exact bet but it wasn't even close, back in the days of actual hope and optimism with Jpop.

From memory, it was that you'd receive your JPOP game by Christmas 2014. I knew that bet was money in the bank. ))

rd

#18199 5 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

You could always pelt him with dildos.

Yeah. I bought some, just in case I see him.

Big ones too.

rd.

2 weeks later
#18321 5 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

tittles were really tarnished

Yeah, nothing worse than tarnished tittles.

rd

3 months later
#18567 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Beautiful nano homes? Is John going to patent Tiny Homes next? (spoiler warning they aren't that cheap)

Quoted from Compy:

3D printed homes is where its at. JUMP ON IT, JOHN!

A kiwi has already designed plastic houses. They are in production and out in the marketplace.

He was a plastic water tank manufacturer, and he originally designed them for the Red Cross to use in emergency zones. I don't know if they came on board.

http://www.breezepod.com

rd

#18609 4 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

I'm going for the spiked leg bolts....... those will look good on SOF

Until they impale your kid in the eye ....

rd

5 months later
#18952 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I heard he spent it all on Dom Perignon and hookers.

Must have run out of blow ...

rd

2 weeks later
#19015 4 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

Bleep... You guys have like super powers spotting him

It doesn't take superpowers. It's pretty bleeping obvious... I could tell from the first post.

rd

4 weeks later
#19173 4 years ago
Quoted from investingdad:

maybe they'll combine them all into Zombie Alice in Magicland.

Zombie Ben Heck transgenders into Alice in Magicland?

rd

#19179 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

You would think any potential investor would take one look at the nearly 20,000 posts in this thread, and turn around and run away as fast as they can.

Reading posts is hard.

rd

#19183 4 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Edit: There is a support group. There should be a printed flyer. Welcome to the group you don't want to be a part of. Some times you feel angry, some times stupid. Your late to this game, deal with shock at first.

"Reading posts is hard" is a play on "making pinball is hard"

rd

#19220 4 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Do not go to Outback Steakhouse with kids. Dingos will eat your baby.

That's some funny stuff.

Quoted from vid1900:

Any of you Aussies regularly go to a steakhouse, eat fried whole onions, or chicken quesadillas?

A "steakhouse" down this end of the world is just that. Generally just steaks, maybe a chicken dish, a fish dish, generally with high quality meat. Not a blah generic chain like Outback. And definitely no tacos.

99.9% of meat down here in NZ/Aust is grass fed as opposed to grain fed which gives the meat a much better taste (because, you know, cows live in paddocks and eat grass...)

(I had a great grain fed ribeye at RPM Steak in Chicago last year. I don't mind grain fed, for a change..)

Most times I take my American/euro friends to a NZ steak house they want to go back the next night.

rd

3 weeks later
#19306 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Well, here we go! MG reskin

Yep, if Bill owns the rights to the other ones, they just put new art on MG and here we are.

rd

#19487 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

So maybe the new 16 Magic Girl's are just "SuperLe" versions of the unlimited Houdini - same game, different art like b66le. That would seem more likely than this new company building 16 completely unique

I thought exactly the same thing. Would make sense to do this.

However, not much else JPOP has done has made much sense, soooo....

rd

#19535 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

If that were the difference the back box would not be vertical when different legs were installed. They are vertical now... Hence the cabinet angle would not change in the final installed configuration

That would be correct if headboxes were actually vertical when the machine was on legs. But that's not the case. They lean forward on an angle.

I haven't run a ruler over those cabinets but they certainly don't look stock BW size to me. Closer to JPOP than BW.

rd.

IMG_3188 (resized).JPG

#19537 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Something else to consider, half of the "patented LCD screen" was obscured by PF junk. Another reason to simplify game.

Or make the screen a bit smaller.

rd

#19539 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

So I've changed my mind... I agree with pdxmoney and you

Always good to keep an open mind. And never deal in absolutes.

If I get a chance I'll try and measure the cabs up using some advanced guesswork and Houdini-like magical equations.

rd

#19579 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Assuming the cost of reimbursing everyone is $1-2million

The photo shows 16 cabinets... Ben reported the BOM was around $7000 per machine so that's $112,000. I'm sure you'd get that BOM down with standard flipper mechs etc, rather than crazy custom ones.

There could well be more money to be paid by customers on those 16 machines too. Who knows who is paid in full? Some may have only paid half. I don't think even JPOP knows who has paid what.

rd

#19923 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'm a little buzzed right now so I might not be thinking clearly!

That'll explain the 100 posts in a row and the serious bout of JPOP remorse

rd

#19928 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

If this thread gets to 20k posts I'm quitting pinball R diddy.

Well, it's only like 75 posts to make 20,000 so you better get those For Sale ads up.

Quoted from iceman44:

I'm thinking we are both dumber than a bag of hammers.

Not me buddy! My money has never been anywhere near any of JPOPs empty boxes o' lights!

rd

#19979 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Stay tuned, its going past there in a few minutes!

Icey is on a roll!

rd

2 weeks later
#20221 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I will sell my RAZA and AIW spots for two cases of beer.

Hmmmmm ... tempting .... but ...

Booze wins!

rd

IMG_2199 (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#20341 4 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Did these guys ever consider all the people (read: most people) who think pinball is a rip because their balls don't even last ten seconds, and subsequently don't play? Ball save ameliorates that phenomenon to some extent. It's not like it lasts very long.

Exactly. Pinball is all about location play. If a kid steps up to a pin and his $1 is gone in 60 seconds, he moves on to the driving game. Pinball dies.

No ball save = tournament use only.

rd

1 month later
#20466 3 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I just saw that on regular car reviews (and I am sure I saw it years ago on Unsolved Mysteries).
The story really reminded me of JPOP in too many ways...
» YouTube video

Thanks for posting that. Very cool story! I'd never heard of it before.

There was probably even more similarity to SkitB in that video ... especially when the lady was discovered to be a man!

Whereas, Kevin was discovered to be a pirate!

rd

IMG_4030 (resized).JPG

2 months later
#22270 3 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

That seems extremely unlikely.. this game was put out under duress of lawsuits and not finished

I wonder when the lawsuit will change from "games weren't delivered" to "games don't have advertised features"

Jpop just jumped from one fire into another.

rd

#22293 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

K has hired John to come finish his pin. Has to sleep with the dog. Poor dog.
John is working for lunch and room and board
Same deal he gave others

That'd be silly if true. You'd be much better to get a real tech around and get the thing going properly.

Levi would get the thing working properly in a day or two.

rd

#22448 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Basically, it's just some crazy shit ...

I've been trying to think of something to say, but that just sums it up.

Crazy shit.

rd

#22578 3 years ago