(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,316 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 165 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,696 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sucks (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20

Post #20523 Link to legal documents with allegations & responses Posted by DennisK (3 years ago)

Post #20526 Third amended complain document Posted by c508 (3 years ago)

Post #20532 Summary of complaints & responses in legal documents Posted by DennisK (3 years ago)

Post #20626 MG is now ready! Posted by TecumsehPlissken (2 years ago)

Post #20631 Scott Goldberg mail on MG completion Posted by TecumsehPlissken (2 years ago)

Post #21819 Information on webpage dedicated to Magic Girl Code Features. Posted by applejuice (2 years ago)

Post #22024 moderation notice Posted by Xerico (2 years ago)

Post #22304 Photos of every page of the Magic Girl manual. Posted by vidgameseller (2 years ago)

Post #22584 Lion Saw feature information. Posted by applejuice (2 years ago)

Post #22710 Very detailed review from a game owner Posted by ShinyNick (2 years ago)

Post #22817 Details on the origin of the driver board Posted by Borygard (2 years ago)

Post #22957 Comparison photos between a MG 'prototype' and another shipped MG Posted by spfxted (2 years ago)

Post #23045 Pinball News first look review. Posted by Pinballs (2 years ago)

Post #23392 Ebay Auction for NIB Magic Girl #007 Posted by fattrain (2 years ago)

Post #23611 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by dgarrett (2 years ago)

Post #23615 Interview with Linda Deal (artist), speaking about CV and TOM Posted by toyotaboy (2 years ago)

Post #23754 The Deeproot link. Posted by pin2d (2 years ago)

Post #23946 Result of civil suit against JPOP Posted by rommy (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinball_keefer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1996 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I'd love to know how any of these patents have served us, the customers, other than delaying the project endlessly and eating up tens of thousands of dollars or more.

Heh, so far they haven't done anything since the only useful public patent of his at the moment has already been non-final rejected mostly because of... his own patent on CV (which is BS anyway because of Flipper Football).

Source: http://portal.uspto.gov/pair/PublicPair app # 13709056

Been a bad year for pinball patents in general. Stern lost their rgb led patent and accelerometer patent. Multimorphic has been final-rejected on a major one and non-final on a few others.

#2313 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I would be shocked if this was granted.

Quoted from pinball_keefer:

the only useful public patent of his at the moment has already been non-final rejected mostly because of... his own patent on CV (which is BS anyway because of Flipper Football).

1 week later
#2747 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

[Stern] trying to get into gaming.

Wow, first I'd heard of that. I have to say it would shock me for a number of reasons.

#2832 5 years ago

"Contract manufacturing" is the term you are looking for and it is nothing new to Stern. For years they built a fair amount of Sega, Namco, and others' product including things like Crazy Taxi, Turret Tower (name?), mocap Samurai game that was pretty cool, Jack's Shuffle Alley, etc. It really dried up after awhile, but it was in fact part of Stern's (the entity) business plan.

1 week later
#2906 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

The second stern puts there monitor in the wrestlemaina play field where John took his patent out he will waste more time trying to sue them I'm sure

I've posted this a few times already, but the patent you're worried about is already non-finally rejected and IM (non-lawyer) O not very likely to get approved. The primary reason he was shot down was because of... his own patent on CV. And that patent is totally BS anyway as far as I can tell due to Flipper Football prior art. Just no one gave a shit to actually challenge it.

2 months later
#5188 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's the same reason John K. hasn't had another animated show since Ren & Stimpy and Ripping Friends. Everybody loves his art and admires his talent - but everyone knows he's insane & can't work within a budget or schedule.

True, but at least to our collective benefit, people he's influenced over the years are now doing great work. My primary example would be the Mickey Mouse shorts that Disney shows these days. They seem very obviously John K influenced but are real and actually totally great for the most part.

There probably could be people influenced by JPop as well, but the economic realities for producing pinballs is a little different from producing filler on one of the biggest multinational's primary network. And also, I'm still not sure exactly what that style IS. Have a good artist? Swoopy ramps? Use music from Mystere?

1 week later
#5806 4 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

they made whitewoods and the ones that flipped the best then were sent for a theme and art package.

That quote sounds like EM-era thinking, because I know that's how things operated back then. You probably didn't see too much of this in the SS era (and absolutely not beyond).

1 week later
#6211 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Capital losses are realized when an equity stake

IANAL or CPA or anything like that, just a programmer, but I stopped reading after that line. There is no possible way you can argue you have an equity stake.

Edit: Ah, I see jayhawk came to the same conclusion.

1 week later
#7031 4 years ago
Quoted from roc-noc:

The penalty is not significant until you let them go for a year or two.

In Cook County, the tax sales generally occur in October. Delinquent taxes can be bought for up to 18% penalty (per 6 months) - the winning bid is the person who offers the LOWEST penalty. After 2 or 2.5 years, the taxbuyer can petition for a tax deed and take the house.

So yeah, not much to worry about right now, but it is not a situation you want to be in.

3 weeks later
#8682 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I wonder what iteration of the White Water insanity falls ramp they added the 'exit' so that if the ball did not make the climb successfully it could exit, and I wonder at what point they decided to add the small 'cover' piece to keep the ball from flying off on the way down. Maybe they got that right the first time, I don't know, but my point being, when you make this stuff, you don't know what you don't know.

It was there from day 1, I guarantee it.

It should be obvious from any amount of time spent thinking about these things, heck even PLAYING them, the number 1 rule of pinball is: The ball will find a way to get there. My best most recent example was on a Metallica I was playing on a league night: Shot 2 balls up the orbits during multiball, post came up for at least one of them and shot the ball up and impossibly stuck behind sparky's chair. Just like nature will find a way, the ball will find a way.

That being said, it is almost impossible to envision a scenario where a ball airballs up onto the insanity falls ramp, and I have in fact never seen that happen. I did have a very weird shot, once, where the ball hit the glass early (earlier than it normally does) and did not have velocity to make it back up the other side, so it dribbled for about 10 seconds and finally fell out. Only time I've ever seen that. But can you imagine how stupid your game would look with a ball just sitting there not doing anything (eventually it would've been 3 balls = game down)?

Stern is correct in using one of the trendiest buzzwords in their recent PR... There's a lot of tribal knowledge in pinball, and stuff like an insanity falls ramp without a bailout just simply does not get designed.

4 weeks later
#14860 4 years ago

That display patent just got non-final rejected yet again, too, so good luck with that one.

His light one may have been paid extra not to publish (which you can do), especially since JJP kind of interfered with the display one a bit.

Edit: OK I see now it was fairly recently published, after the last time I did a search on them. That's going to be a tough sell, too, though.

#14890 4 years ago
Quoted from KerryImming:

Since they are trying to patent what P3 has being doing for several years now, it should be rejected due to prior art.

The irony is that it's mostly rejected based off of jpop's own prior art (CV patent).

Gerry hasn't been faring too well either.

#14896 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Is StevenP still going to represent him now that he will not be getting a game in lieu of attorney's fees?

I have nfi what their agreement is or anything like that. There's been no filed change of lawyer, though.

#15527 4 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

I have decided to help both of them.

maximum_brofist.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 625.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinball_keefer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside