(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,316 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 165 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,696 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sucks (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20

Post #20523 Link to legal documents with allegations & responses Posted by DennisK (3 years ago)

Post #20526 Third amended complain document Posted by c508 (3 years ago)

Post #20532 Summary of complaints & responses in legal documents Posted by DennisK (3 years ago)

Post #20626 MG is now ready! Posted by TecumsehPlissken (3 years ago)

Post #20631 Scott Goldberg mail on MG completion Posted by TecumsehPlissken (3 years ago)

Post #21819 Information on webpage dedicated to Magic Girl Code Features. Posted by applejuice (3 years ago)

Post #22024 moderation notice Posted by Xerico (3 years ago)

Post #22304 Photos of every page of the Magic Girl manual. Posted by vidgameseller (3 years ago)

Post #22584 Lion Saw feature information. Posted by applejuice (3 years ago)

Post #22710 Very detailed review from a game owner Posted by ShinyNick (3 years ago)

Post #22817 Details on the origin of the driver board Posted by Borygard (3 years ago)

Post #22957 Comparison photos between a MG 'prototype' and another shipped MG Posted by spfxted (3 years ago)

Post #23045 Pinball News first look review. Posted by Pinballs (3 years ago)

Post #23392 Ebay Auction for NIB Magic Girl #007 Posted by fattrain (2 years ago)

Post #23611 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by dgarrett (2 years ago)

Post #23615 Interview with Linda Deal (artist), speaking about CV and TOM Posted by toyotaboy (2 years ago)

Post #23754 The Deeproot link. Posted by pin2d (2 years ago)

Post #23946 Result of civil suit against JPOP Posted by rommy (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinball_customs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#183 5 years ago

It pains me to say that I've recently backed out of my commitment to RAZA due to personal reasons. Still looking forward to seeing what comes of this though.

4 weeks later
#198 5 years ago

Is there anyone here on the RAZA waiting list?

1 week later
#225 5 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

maybe there is not too much to leak?

On the RAZA blog there's quite a bit to leak actually, but I think most people are respecting the NDA.

Seriously though, is there no one on the RAZA waiting list? I'm trying to get a refund but it's pending a replacement buyer.

#239 5 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Umm.. are you implying that he can't afford to give you a refund until someone else shows up to pay you or is this a policy thing? The first would make me question a few things if I was in on this.

No, this is 100% a policy thing. If you all saw what's going on behind closed doors, you'd be very much impressed. The ONLY reason I'm forced to back out is that I'll be without a job come Dec 1st, so buying a $10k pin isn't in the cards for me anymore.

My loss is someone else' game -- and no, I will not be profiting from this. Homie don't play dat.

homey-dont-play-that.gif
1 month later
#278 5 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Well sure if you are willing to settle for a bash toy and magnet combo.

What does that have to do with the manufacturing process?

#315 5 years ago

FWIW, these cabs look like the ones he posted pics of WAAAAYYY back on the dev blog. Those of us who have access to the dev blog have seen much more progress than this.

Take the shop tour if you can, you'll see.

That said.... I'm STILL waiting for my refund.

#352 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

C&D from Rick coming soon?

Mars Attacks (the movie/comic).. not Attack From Mars.

#368 5 years ago

if this is for real, and that back glass has to be redone...
wow. -and not in a good way.

His artist works incredibly fast actually

#369 5 years ago

As for the cab.. think CV

Wait till you see the pf art so far. Damn..

#400 5 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

Yeah, sounds like he is over thinking it.

image.jpg
#428 5 years ago

What John's doing with the porthole looks pretty awesome but really could be viewed as an after thought. TBH I'd rather see the game finished first and then move on to the little bells and whistles like that if there's time. Or knock a few hundred bones off the price tag for those who don't want it.

#431 5 years ago

This pic was posted by John on Facebook a few days ago for Magic Girl. A certain sculptor I know may have had a hand in prototyping this..........

10250125_845348428843032_9113231792162837738_n.jpg
#486 5 years ago

Just call john and ask him

#592 5 years ago

All I know is I've been trying to get a refund for months now...

#681 5 years ago

Honestly, that backglass art was one of probably 20 different versions, and it's all layered (probably in Illustrator) anyway so for him to change the head to something else really wouldn't be difficult. Switching it to the alien head was something that the buyers preferred on the blog, which is why he went with it. TBH, I'd rather a generic head over Ben Heck's head anyway (no offense to Ben). Once you start bringing actual likenesses to the forefront you start dating the game, which is one of the reasons people aren't busting down the doors for a Shaq Attak these days.

#688 5 years ago

To be honest, considering I put in a request for a refund so long ago.. the potential lawsuit that could very well be brooding has me even more concerned that I may never see my money again. Let alone the fact that I never knew selling my spot privately was even an option, and at this point the possibilities of me being able to do so are next to none.

Very disappointed.. and this is coming from someone who's actually worked on part of the project (MG).

All I know is I've got ~45 days of a job left and could really use my refund.

Some SERIOUS damage control must be done.

Argh..

#714 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

But here we are a year later from the infamous "crickets" blog post, and he did promise to write a letter outlining what he did in 2013, but that never materialized.

I don't want a letters of the past, I want pictures of the future!

#802 5 years ago

I suppose if there's any consolation, it's that people have been waiting WAYYYY longer for MMR to come out.

#805 5 years ago
Quoted from Sjsilver:

I think he's talking about the people that were waiting for wayne's promised MMR to materialize. I'm not sure that is valid, though, as it was a completely different entity.

Not necessarily a different entity, people who've had deposits in on Wayne's promised MMR have been transferred over to the new production. Those people have been waiting, what... 10 years?

#887 5 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Rt airfare $224.00
Expedia

man.. you guys have it good with your air fare rates. That would barely cover the taxes from Canada. (granted, we can just drive to the border and fly out from the nearest US airport).

Just checked. Cheapest return flight to/from Toronto is $870.21

#889 5 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

That quote was Toronto to chicago

That doesn't make sense, I just checked Expedia.ca ... maybe the .ca and .com are offering two different prices? That would suck

#894 5 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

What was your dates?
The $224 was Jan
For Nov it increased to about $380 total

ahh.. yeah I was checking for tomorrow. Not a bad price for January though, wow!

#901 5 years ago
Quoted from woodworker:

It is interesting to consider that if TBL wasn't at Expo,

I don't think so... this has been bubbling for a while. The empty cabs shown at Expo is what sent most over the edge

#925 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

See JJP and PPS..........
Here's an idea: John meet Jack, Jack meet John. John: "I hear you jettisoned your designer Balcer last year. I have pins, need production"

If this happened it would be JJP game #4 at the very least.. and I'd like to think that we'll see a completed game from Zidware before JJP game #4 is shipping. Who knows though!

4 months later
#4398 5 years ago

I can't go through 88 pages here but is there any mention of refunds? I put in for a refund last August and am still waiting

2 months later
#8438 4 years ago

Well John isn't responding to my emails anymore so I'm going to be auctioning off the prototype Jinx sculpture i made for MG... I gotta recoup some of my funds one way or another.

Stay tuned!

#8443 4 years ago

Here you go. One of a kind Jinx sculpted in CX-5

IMG-20150512-WA0005.jpg
#8444 4 years ago

I'm going to get a case for it and make a plaque before auctioning. Part of the proceeds will go to help Nepal

#8454 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Ah, so YOU created that (I love all the vendors / volunteers that are coming out of the woodwork in the past 6 months btw, it presents things much more clearly). I'm assuming you also scanned it so John could 3D print it?

John scanned it -- or rather, one of the plastic test samples I sent him. This is the original sculpt. I also sent him a painted sample, I'll see if I can find a pic.

#8466 4 years ago

Found a colour pic of the proto I sent to John

Keep in mind this was kind of a "sketch"

20130607_084521.jpg

#8595 4 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

Just to keep everyone up to date on things, here is the list of unpaid vendors/suppliers (redacted for privacy purposes) that I know about or have been made aware of:
The original programmer
Cointaker
GLM
A Chicago-area specialty pinball parts supplier (NOT Pinball Life...)
Another engineer/board house (not confirmed by me)
ZombieYeti ? Not sure what his current status is.
Due to the fractured cell-like operating structure at Zidware, there are likely more vendors/suppliers that are owed money. No way to know unless they speak up.

*cough* Pinball Customs *cough*

I wonder if the artist is getting paid? From what I've seen on the blogs, he's working his ass off.. poor guy.

#8612 4 years ago

I was happy (and certainly more confident) when you were still on the Zidware team, Ben... but I do have to be honest, I was also one of the buyers who was happy to see your likeness off the backglass -- NOT because I thought you looked funny or anything (I don't), but because I was grateful I wouldn't have to explain who the "heck" Ben Heck was whenever someone came down into my game room

#8623 4 years ago

Yeah I agree, Ben.. the whole RAZA theme seems to be quite a shotgunned mishmash of a whole bunch of different stories at this point. And the colours are just.... wow. If there ever was a way to put an epileptic seizure down on a 2D canvas, I think John has discovered it.

Said it before and I'll say it again.. this thing has turned into the "The Homer" of pinball machines.. which is why I wanted out almost 11 months ago in the first place.

the-homer.jpg

#8718 4 years ago

Joey (and Roman) can cut PDI glass to any size you need. You're SOL on the Invisiglass though.

#8819 4 years ago

Frolic, you seem a little bitter...

I thought the latest video was alright. If he's heading west with what we can only pray is a completed game (sans code even), then why don't we wait and see what he presents us there before getting the torches and pitchforks?

Ps. My intention here is not to defend John, but seriously.. if he's about to play a card, I for one want to see it rather than scare the man away

#8826 4 years ago

Why was the pic removed?

#8856 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Hold on, so those return lanes we saw in aluminum, there are other parts that still don't exist as anything other than paper?
Is there a hope in hell of seeing a "completed" game any time soon? What was the point of getting the aluminum ramp molds made if there are other parts that aren't done?

Because you have to start somewhere.. If he'd done the reverse would it have made a difference?

#8858 4 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

My big question has always been: Will you even SEE the display in the back with all that rampage all up in front of it? Or has it pretty much been relegated to a "live" backboard?

Haha i was wondering the same thing..

I still don't get why people are taking down the pf photos

#8863 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Having to "start" somewhere isn't how this is being presented. John has been pitching these recent moves as completing his game, getting it ready to go on the road at shows and for production.
That there is a major component not done, or even being close to done, is not how this is being pitched.
He was trying to make the impression that he was going to show up somewhere with his game next month and people were going to play it. Magic Girl has been falsely presented as being "done" since last December with his big "reveal". Hearing about one thing after the next that is not even being close to done after being told all these things is what is getting me upset.

Fair enough, but we don't know where he's at with development of that main spiral component .. we don't even know when this picture was taken.

Anyway my point is, if you're going to speculate then you need to in both directions

#10108 4 years ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

So nobody can sue John?
You have to pay more for the game?
John gets to keep your money?
You have to wait 4 years?
If the licensee had experience manufacturing pinball it wouldn't take them 4 years to complete them.
My suggestion is all the buyers and creditors get together and appoint a team to take this train wreck over.

There is great irony in a post like this coming from you, Wayne..

#10115 4 years ago

"Wcbrandes" and "Bill Brandes" = same guy? If so, I wish you the best!

#10117 4 years ago

Also I just noticed some of the games linked to the topic... Very clever, fellas

#10119 4 years ago

Well then i guess the cat is out of the bag.

It figures it would take a Canadian to bail out a Canadian. man I hope this works, I really do... Here's hoping Bill calls Stern first thing Tuesday morning. Hey maybe Lyman can do the code! . And Stern can learn how to integrate an LCD display finally ... It's a win-win!

#10126 4 years ago

Man, I wouldn't want to be wcbrandes' inbox right now..

#10133 4 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

image1.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
I kid I kid

Ouch! That's just cruel.. Lol

#10198 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I'm curious why Popaduik even needs to be involved at this point.

Because the fact remains, none of the games are complete. People invested their money in John as a designer, not as a business man. To yank him out of the design process and put a no-name in his place is a bad idea. A very bad idea.

John should've built a proof-of-concept and shown it to investors / venture capitalists from the very beginning. He did it with KISS (only a little too late unfortunately). He's a brilliant pinball designer but it's obvious he has problems focusing on the goal (as do many artists -- ADD perhaps?). He needs a BUSINESSMAN to reign him in.

Enter Pintasia.

At least we know who the investor is and can put some faith behind him. Bill is a pin-nut like the rest of us, and it's clear that he's stepped up to the plate to see this thing through to the end bexause he loves pinball (because let's be honest, he's not doing this for the ROI)

This is what Bill does. It's unfair to attack him without giving him a chance. We've waited this long, so what's another few months? Put down the pitch forks and let's see what Bill can do while the ball is in his court. I'd much rather try this than lose ALL my money when Zidware goes bankrupt and John goes into hiding.

One thing is for sure, we won't be seeing John at any shows any time soon..

#10205 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Didn't all the people who knew who the anonymous licensee was say we'd all feel so much better after they revealed themselves? That it was someone well-known in the community?
I don't know about you guys but I've never heard of any of the people on that list. And none of them have any manufacturing experience.
And what's the crap about "Programmer: TBD"? Why don't you *pay* the existing programmer what he's owed and let him finish?
This update offers zero relief for anyone, and it seriously makes me question the reputation of guys like Iceman or ChrisVW if they really believed the "reveal" would solve anything..

The investor is Bill Brandes -- aka. "wcbrandes", a respected member of the pinball community.

As for the programmer, perhaps Bill is already in negotiations with the original programmer? We don't know what's going on there, and maybe it's too early in negotiations for Bill to reveal that. Or perhaps Stern will only be on board if one of their programmers handles it? Again, Bill has only had the keys for what... 2 days? And it's a long weekend. Give it time..

#10286 4 years ago
Quoted from Strohz:

According to his Linked in page, Bill Brandes lists himself as President of Pintasia Designs Inc for over two months (since April 2015). I think he's had a lot more than 2 days to get his plan together. So far, I'm not impressed.

Really? Because I had my business registered long before actually making a go of it. It takes very little to register a business, so maybe he was just being proactive? 2 months is nothing in this hobby

#10845 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Looks like all the ramps. Slap them in the game!
This is what they need to do. Show any and everything positive and remove questions like "what about the middle of the ramp?"

They'd find something else Ben.. there's no pleasing this angry mob anymore. Even the positive is soured once it hits the pan.

Also perhaps John isn't there because he's in Vancouver talking to Bill? Canada doesn't have today off.

All I'm saying is.. if you're speculating try and consider both versions of that "half glass", people.

#10867 4 years ago

Or are you Jpop's PR person?

Why is it anytime someone tries to remain calm and sound positive in this thread they're instantly labeled a "Zidware PR person"? I'm simply suggesting that people have an open mind for a few weeks longer and give Bill the chance he deserves to work some "magic" of his own.

And yes, I do have a horse in this race. And yes, I too am mad at John. But jumping to conclusions isn't going to solve anything (that's what made me submit my money in the first place)

#10868 4 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

He should tell people if he's in Vancouver now though..

Absolutely agreed.

#10894 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Neither of them are rich and can just afford to write-off the loss.

Why assume the rich would just shrug and write it off? They have just as much right to be as upset as us blue collar types, and they can afford the lawers!

#10912 4 years ago

Thanks Bill for unwrapping some of the mystery

#11672 4 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

There is a certain place in hell for people who make a post quoting 1204 words from a previous post.

Bwahaha! I was thinking the same thing. Especially for something as simple as "wtf".

#11674 4 years ago

Is there a "Zidware members only Club" post that discusses this latest development? This thread is outta control.. there seems to be a LOT of people fanning flames apparently just for the sake of creating tension, and it's very disappointing. Frankly I wonder how many of them actually have a "horse in this race". I among others have a LOT of time and money invested in this project (both as a customer and as a supplier) is it too much to ask to simply have a civilized discussion about it?

I mean no insult, I'm just saying that we buyers and suppliers have some very difficult decisions to make, and it's tough to sift through the white noise to really study our options.

#11684 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's been said already but it's worth repeating. We all do. I may not have money on this game, but I have friends who do. It hurts me to see them hurt/stressed/taken advantage of. It sours the hobby for all of us.

And I totally respect that Greg, I really do.. I meant a place for buyers and suppliers alike to discuss how we're all going to handle this moving forward.

1 week later
#13829 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Chris at Cointaker and Tony at GLM should be there ripping out the parts they never got paid for Too classy for that.

But Chris and Tony won't because they want to see this thing to the finish line as much as the rest of us suppliers and / or owners. We can waste our time being negative, or we can pick ourselves up and get things done.

And Fantasygoat.. of course it's "clunky". It's very much an alpha stage, both physically and electronically. Many parts (including the ramps) had to be bent or broken to get them to fit on the playfield. It's the sad truth. At first I thought "there's no way this thing could need ANOTHER 2-4 years to be finished!".. but after following along "elsewhere", I totally believe that to be true. It's truly a miracle that this thing is even flipping right now, and Bill and everyone else that banded together to make that happen need to be applauded! NOT beat down.

#13928 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

The narrative might have been completely different if there was a great 5 minute 3 ball demo video posted before the show.

You guys are saying this like they had any time to do so. I'd be willing to bet a lot of the guys who helped to get this thing up and running for the show never fully had a chance to play or understand it themselves... so what makes you guys think they had time to setup an HD camera and explain all the shots?

Seriously folks, lets be at least a little realistic..

Pinside has turned this into a real "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenerio. It's a real shame.

#13943 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

All I know is every pinball I've ever bought, I've put my phone on a stacked bar stool, overlooking my shoulder, and played a few games trying to get a multiball or something good going, and then posting the best video of my new pinball online that I send links to my layperson friends. So they get to see my new pinball doing something cool.
Didn't take long, and I didn't have hundreds of thousands of dollars on the line.

That's great Chris, but every game you've bought wasn't completely FUBAR out of the gate. (.. unless you bought an Avengers heh)

#14583 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

In some ways, I'm glad the real reveal of the game was basically a dud. Removes the mystique of the "wonka factory" once and for all, and with everything going up in smoke we aren't mourning some mysterious game that would have changed pinball forever. We saw it for what it was, and saw John for what he is.

Why do you feel it was a dud? Were you there?

#14586 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Ummm I'm gonna say thats you giving good legal advice
I hope we can have a party and burn the MFer

That's not a bad idea.. if all else fails, let's start a kickstarter campaign to raise money for one helluva party for those of us who got burned by this (pun intended) and set fire to these protos. Could make a great finale to a documentary

#14657 4 years ago
Quoted from Nibbles:

Also known as, "telling the wife"

I... haven't brought myself to face that tune yet. She's already frustrated enough that I never got paid for all my sculpture work. (although auctioning off the sculpt helped)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 139.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinball_customs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside