(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,316 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 165 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,696 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sucks (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20

Post #20523 Link to legal documents with allegations & responses Posted by DennisK (3 years ago)

Post #20526 Third amended complain document Posted by c508 (3 years ago)

Post #20532 Summary of complaints & responses in legal documents Posted by DennisK (3 years ago)

Post #20626 MG is now ready! Posted by TecumsehPlissken (2 years ago)

Post #20631 Scott Goldberg mail on MG completion Posted by TecumsehPlissken (2 years ago)

Post #21819 Information on webpage dedicated to Magic Girl Code Features. Posted by applejuice (2 years ago)

Post #22024 moderation notice Posted by Xerico (2 years ago)

Post #22304 Photos of every page of the Magic Girl manual. Posted by vidgameseller (2 years ago)

Post #22584 Lion Saw feature information. Posted by applejuice (2 years ago)

Post #22710 Very detailed review from a game owner Posted by ShinyNick (2 years ago)

Post #22817 Details on the origin of the driver board Posted by Borygard (2 years ago)

Post #22957 Comparison photos between a MG 'prototype' and another shipped MG Posted by spfxted (2 years ago)

Post #23045 Pinball News first look review. Posted by Pinballs (2 years ago)

Post #23392 Ebay Auction for NIB Magic Girl #007 Posted by fattrain (2 years ago)

Post #23611 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by dgarrett (2 years ago)

Post #23615 Interview with Linda Deal (artist), speaking about CV and TOM Posted by toyotaboy (2 years ago)

Post #23754 The Deeproot link. Posted by pin2d (2 years ago)

Post #23946 Result of civil suit against JPOP Posted by rommy (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kvan99.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#578 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

I'm sure who ever owns the rights to the movie mars attacks will come after him for using a alien that looks exactly like theirs does

image-633.jpg 41 KB

image-430.jpg 22 KB

image-168.jpg 303 KB

The martian in a suit has been around since the atomic age. I doubt if there is any copyrights on file for it. Bring on the Pinside lawyers....mars-attacks.jpg

#642 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Attacks
Created in 1962 by Topps, you can even see it on your image. They're still actively doing things with it, so yeah, I'm pretty sure they're protecting it. You might be able to do some small art projects with something, like my under the radar translite stuff, but selling $10k pinball machines is going to attract more attention.

Yep, it' over 50 years ago...how long does the CR last?

#692 5 years ago

Are you guys sure he's out of money and needed to sell the extra 25 spots to raise cash? If you are then you do have cause to be concerned. I do think the first step is to collectively reach out to him and just find out what is the hold up...

#857 5 years ago

I don't know what that implies either, but the man is a sharp with his designs, losing great ideas to hacks must hurt. I just saw his lit up pop bumper....Wow.

#860 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

See, but that's the risk in keeping things quiet. You think anyone else is going to make a pin with a bowling alley toy under the playfield now?
You show your game and you put your stamp on it. Everyone knows that's the Jpop idea. Rip it off and get shredded and laughed at.

I hear ya, but it never stopped Joe Kaminkow back in D.E. days from ripping all the best Williams designs.

#862 5 years ago

And sold a ton of pinballs....and then became Stern.

#868 5 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

First they *went out of business* and were bought out by Sega. Then Sega *went out of business* and became Stern.

Hate to keep banging away at this but you're only partially correct the D.E. Pinball division was sold to Sega, and Sega sold to Stern...Also if I read correctly Sega never went out of business.

#988 5 years ago

No offense to anyone but that layout doesn't look all that interesting, I mean the game is beautiful but that red Gene Simmons in the middle just isn't doing it for me...what do you guys think?

Edit: maybe the game is missing ramps and other things....if so nevermind.

1 month later
#1345 5 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Just curious. Anyone looking to sell their spot?

Sounds like you're not well..

1 week later
#1599 5 years ago

You know in my experience, the eccentric type usually mean well and try to do right but unfortunately they're terrible in business dealings.

1 week later
#2397 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

zidware_genie_jambi.jpg 28 KB

magic_girl1.jpg 89 KB

magic_girl2.jpg 75 KB

magic_girl4.jpg 86 KB

magic_girl5.jpg 80 KB

magic_girl3.jpg 174 KB

magic_girl6.jpg 87 KB

raza1.jpg 80 KB

raza2.jpg 102 KB

Wow after seeing those games I would be willing to wait till 2016, clearly JP is operating on another level from anyone designing today....after seeing those features it would be very hard for me to love another fan layout. Damn....MIND BLOWN.

#2399 5 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

... And the cult leader wins over the brainwashed again.
Seriously, a couple of videos and he gets a free pass for FOUR YEARS of stringing you people along?

I think you should let the cult decide for themselves.

#2408 5 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

More like battered spouse.

Yeah, we need a big man like you to rescue us, thanks Albert Scheweitzer.

3 weeks later
#3008 5 years ago

From where I was sitting the insults were well earned.

2 weeks later
#3713 4 years ago
Quoted from Skulz:

That alien looks like a male with breasts. Jawline and eyebrows. Please change that.

Also the Raygun looks like a pahalic symbol, it offends me.

2 months later
#6592 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I do owe kaneda an apology

Wow I need to quote this phrase because it will probably never be repeated in the history of Pinside.

1 month later
#10141 4 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Guys I'm not gonna cry if the support is not there and hey all you can do is try. I am spending the time and effort to see if I can get this thing across the finish line that's it. All Pintasia profit from machines will go to the customers until everyone is fully made whole. I will update when more information becomes available and as soon as a JV can be reached, (if it can) with a proven manufacturer. No we are not asking for money up front from existing customers, and thanks to all that has helped us get to this point. We hope that we can help end this pre order model for good, it is one area we focusing on which is sucking the life out of this industry. If we have missed anyone on the email list that's involved please don't hesitate to pm me.

Good going WC...Boutique pinball has hit a rough patch lately I hope you can turn this funk around. GL!

#10488 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Maybe people can understand it this way Bill.
Let's all put Zidware into bankruptcy, sell the assets at auction and us creditors will get pennies on the dollar but we do get satisfaction of seeing John in flames which is already happening now!!
Then maybe the smarter thing to do Bill is just to take what you bought, for $10 and start over with the whole process and wipe us all out, officially, because you do know we are already wiped out
That sounds pretty good too. No John but we get Yeti and a manufacturer deal from one that needs to keep his assembly line going.
Ok I'll take an AIW

If the buyers/vendors don't agree, this is the most likely scenario, theoretically if anyone was in it to make money, potentially this is the best route....buyers/creditors get wiped out and the bidder will buy the assets/IP for pennies on the dollar and market the games.

#10494 4 years ago

Some of the buyers/creditors need to find out how things will likely go down in a bankruptcy proceeding to help make their decision...

From Fullerton Law Firm's website:

"When a customer files bankruptcy, a creditor has a basic policy decision, whether to "participate in the bankruptcy process." Bankruptcy is a battle between innocent creditors. The bankruptcy process is an attempt to maximize the distribution to general unsecured creditors.

If a creditor tries to establish mechanic's lien rights, payment bond rights, trust fund or equitable lien rights, reclamation rights or some other priority, this will lower the amount available to general unsecured creditors. It may maximize this particular creditor's recovery, but it will lower the recovery to their brethren. This activity will also result in increased legal fees. The creditor will expend higher legal fees trying to establish priority. The debtor, the trustee, and the unsecured creditors committee will fight the creditor, to preserve money available for distribution. This further depletes the estate, whether the creditor succeeds in establishing priority or not.

If there is a genuine chance of a good distribution to general unsecured creditors, all creditors have a common interest in lowering the heat level, participating peacefully in the bankruptcy process and maximizing the distribution for all general unsecured creditors. For this reason it is important to evaluate the initial schedule of assets and liabilities and watch the activities of other creditors to evaluate the chances of a good distribution.

If there is little chance of a good distribution for general unsecured creditors, then each creditor has a stronger incentive to try and establish priority rights. The creditor's worst case is that it will waste time and money on legal fees. If there is no chance of a distribution from bankruptcy, this is not a risk, only an expense.

Unfortunately, the experience for most unsecured creditors is that they never see any distribution from a bankruptcy or very small distributions. Accordingly, most creditors are cynical of the bankruptcy process and will always do their best to establish their own priority over other creditors. This becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. All creditors are pushing their own self-interest, expending legal fees in the process. The debtor, the trustee, the bankruptcy court, and the unsecured creditors committee are all expending time and money fighting these creditors. This process further reduces the likelihood of any distribution".

#11280 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Might cause a run on the bank, so to speak. That could cause a delay or future interruption in the Hobbit manufacturing plans.

To say the least....and no the lawsuit impact is not baked in yet.

#11933 4 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

Yes. They are actually putting money into building MG prototypes right now, which includes your work. You are now emotionally invested and hope for the best. That doesn't mean you should give a vote of confidence to someone affiliated with conning people. Compare yourself to the list of people who backed Kevin Kulek. Vendors with their hard work at stake truly believe they are working for an "honest" deal. It is possible, with Sabrina Wei's track record, that this is an initial investment of (somehow) 100k (very questionable, unless John got paid off) to con people out of another million or more in preorder $ if they can make a kick ass MG to make people go googly eyed over. It takes money to make money.
You have already seen people get scammed by seemingly clean people like Kevin and JPop, Vonnie D. Now someone has done all the work for us to "out" the people behind Pintasia, so thanks to Fraudalert for doing the vetting for us.
Personal attacks on Bill and Sabrina aren't going to get this to move forward? These are not personal attacks. These are documented facts, and warnings to the pinside community to NOT hand their money over to someone with a history of fraud, or at least being closely associated. The fact that it has to be explained repeatedly like saying "don't take candy from strangers" is very tiring, and I have now experienced having to painstakingly explain the obvious red flags and bring them to the forefront first with Predator, then with JPop and now with Pintasia. Each time is a huge battle against people who refuse to believe there might be something wrong.
Please, for the love of pinball start supporting the people who are putting in the effort to protect your pinball community. I was thankful for the AG during Predator and gave them my ear when they needed it. Now Fraudalert needed somebody to listen when they had the information for us. Do everybody else the favor of taking the time to dig a little deeper when somebody says there is a problem, rather than shout them down. If the allegations are false, Sabrina can tell us that herself and show us the error of our ways.

Come one man..Pinchili, YKpinballer or whoever you are? Hmmm...all I can say you two we're very vocal on the Predator thread too. Bill Brandes is the only hope these guys have to see a Jpop pinball game, and as long as they haven't asked for money from the preorder/owners you need to cool it with the conspiracy theories.

#11985 4 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

again no one had to sign anything it was and always is their prerogative to get a lawyer and go sue john on their own or with whomever they please.

Exactly...if anyone thinks they can do better with a lawsuit then nothing is stopping them.

#12005 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

The true cancer is the pre-pay business model.

Agreed, but in this case these folks are already knee deep in it.

1 week later
#13324 4 years ago

Ok judging the game on its own it's a gorgeous piece of pinball work. I can't wait for the video.
PS: from what I can see yes it's a busy pf but I don't think the view is obstructed from the player's perspective.

#13667 4 years ago
Quoted from Sparky347:

I think it's one of the most impressive looking and beautiful games I've ever seen. It's almost sensory overload. Every inch of this game has got something going on and it's begging to be played. If this game can be produced and be sold at Hobbit like prices as was suggested, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Stunning!

Agreed...there is a lot of cool stuff going on, it needs polish but the framework so far is great. If it ever gets made it could be the new BBB.

#13793 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

What kind of law enforcement exactly?

The Pinball Police, of course.
KeystoneCops.jpg

#14231 4 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

What is it going to cost to re-engineer the game? How many magnets and mechs are you taking out? What is the cost of your manufacturer?

One hundred dollars! What kind if question is that? If they want to sell more of them the BOM must come down. The reengineering costs are peanuts compared to what Jpop has collected. At least the guy pointed out something fresh and insightful in this boondoggle thread. I swear I think it might have been better if Bill never took on this project.

#14578 4 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

Bill,
I agree, you made a good decision. You should be applauded for even giving this a shot. Makes a good story for pinball history. Again, thanks . I appreciate the efforts.
Dan

Yes agree... This was a train wreck. I hope you get to keep the game because you actually did something rather than just complain.

#14726 4 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

Because in order to have an equitable distribution of the assets paid for by pre-order money people need to know what exists and where it is. We are grilling the people who KNOW these things because if we don't get answers, people who are behind the scenes can start shifting assets around like in pretty much every shady business exit ever.

Do you know how much will be distributed to the stake holders in a bankruptcy proceeding such as this? Nada, zilch, zero...a good bankruptcy lawyer will make sure there is nothing left to go to the creditors. His personal assets such as house and car are protected, what ever is left in the biz bank acct will go towards his legal fees. The shop is leased and the equipment in it unless there is an official inventory will disappear...so maybe his EM game and some of the playfields and drawings will fetch a few thousand.

#14738 4 years ago

But who's going to pay big money for some pinball patents? Certainly not Stern. If they get sold they'll go for a modest sum.

#14951 4 years ago

Anything great in this world worth owning or collecting has a power tripping manic/ antisocial asshole finger prints all over it.

#14954 4 years ago

No worries 400 is around the corner.

#14963 4 years ago

Oh no....

image.jpg

1 week later
#15893 4 years ago

Man I got this guy on ignore, I'm half tempted to take him off because it seems like I'm missing half the posts on this thread.
tumblr_mzr8kjwWTK1qafoq6o1_1280.jpg

#15944 4 years ago

I don't know about posting his personal stuff on a public forum, it should be off limits.

1 year later
#20167 3 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Bill, under pintasia holds the rights to all Zidware assets. That raises the question how pintasia hold the assets sans the liabilities. I'm not a lawyer so who knows.

This also crossed my mind.

#20233 3 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Why do people want rare things? Seriously....I don't get it.

So they can get laid...

3 months later
#20822 2 years ago
Quoted from c508:

This last line cracks me up... not laughing at you BK, but just the mental image I formed of the "unboxing" as if it were a religious ritual akin to a papal audience or something.
Be cool if you could all wear robes and vestaments and stand in a circle around the box chanting with dramatic lighting and a high priest figure invoking various gods, spirits and deities...
Hephaestus, smith and craftsman of the gods, Elpis, spirit of hope and expectation... we pray to you that this is a worthy offering... that Magic Girl represents JPOP's return to a place of honor and respect among the pinball community...
May this pinball machine exceed all expectations... may it free JPOP from his devotion to Ate ("spirit of delusion, infatuation, blind folly, recklessness, and ruin"), Epimetheus ("Titan of afterthought and father of excuses"), Apate ("spirit of deceit, guile, and fraud and deception) and Mania ("spirits of madness, insanity, and frenzy")...
May all who play this machine have their wounds salved, may their IFPA rankings rise, may they match after their last ball has drained.
And if not... like at sd_tom says... burn it (at the stake)!

If you're pinball game is as good as your Greek Mythology you're set man.

#20954 2 years ago

Wow, what a couple of years being on this forum can do to a man's eye. I see a pretty game with some nice plastics and ramps. Everything else is pretty standard. I won't say there won't be people who will pay money for the exclusivity, I'm saying I don't see a whole lot of pinball magic in "Magic Girl".

#21463 2 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

So here is the question to ponder. If(we just don't know) it plays like shit, shoots like shit, and is just in general a suck ass game, but someone is willing to pay you $20K plus......are you really still all that mad at JPop?
This is a question directed at owners.....We know, JPop screwed everyone else involved, that is not the issue here. Is a buyer ready to sue JPop over a poor game or sell it and move on? I just think at this point, no matter how tainted, how shitty, or how long it took, the collectibility value of this game is going to go through the roof. It's just too rare not to.

First decent piece of truism that you have posted so far buddy...keep it up.

#21465 2 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I don't foresee these games appreciating.

Absolutely will. I don't own one, I don't think it's a great game but it will appreciate. Just look at Kingpin or King Kong...mediocre games but their rareness commands a huge premium.

#21467 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

$20k to get some attention? Lol
At this point attention is all any Magic Girl owner is going to get.

Also the dude is taking it out the box..respect just for that. I think he should be let back in on probation. IMO, the podcast is actually pretty damn good for pinball.

#21513 2 years ago

Yeah? but can we say Bravo to AP? Seriously, how many of us actually thought they had the gumption to pull this off? I can't f-ing wait for Houdini.

#21807 2 years ago

I know we all hate Jpop but this is one pretty game. This what is what a 15k BM66 should have looked like. I see this game and I think one, Jpop pulled a miracle out of his ass, two AP made this pipe dream happen. I feel for them, the logistics to get the foam ramps and other bullshit John put together made into a real machine is nothing short of a slam dunk. I don't care about the code, it can be fixed. Stern only wishes they could make a game as imaginative as that. There are a few hundred of us so called Pinball experts here. Almost all of us still don't know what half that crap on the Pf really does.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
$ 32.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kvan99.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside