(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,316 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 165 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,696 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sucks (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20

Post #20523 Link to legal documents with allegations & responses Posted by DennisK (3 years ago)

Post #20526 Third amended complain document Posted by c508 (3 years ago)

Post #20532 Summary of complaints & responses in legal documents Posted by DennisK (3 years ago)

Post #20626 MG is now ready! Posted by TecumsehPlissken (2 years ago)

Post #20631 Scott Goldberg mail on MG completion Posted by TecumsehPlissken (2 years ago)

Post #21819 Information on webpage dedicated to Magic Girl Code Features. Posted by applejuice (2 years ago)

Post #22024 moderation notice Posted by Xerico (2 years ago)

Post #22304 Photos of every page of the Magic Girl manual. Posted by vidgameseller (2 years ago)

Post #22584 Lion Saw feature information. Posted by applejuice (2 years ago)

Post #22710 Very detailed review from a game owner Posted by ShinyNick (2 years ago)

Post #22817 Details on the origin of the driver board Posted by Borygard (2 years ago)

Post #22957 Comparison photos between a MG 'prototype' and another shipped MG Posted by spfxted (2 years ago)

Post #23045 Pinball News first look review. Posted by Pinballs (2 years ago)

Post #23392 Ebay Auction for NIB Magic Girl #007 Posted by fattrain (2 years ago)

Post #23611 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by dgarrett (2 years ago)

Post #23615 Interview with Linda Deal (artist), speaking about CV and TOM Posted by toyotaboy (2 years ago)

Post #23754 The Deeproot link. Posted by pin2d (2 years ago)

Post #23946 Result of civil suit against JPOP Posted by rommy (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jarjarisgod.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4296 4 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

I'm going to go out on a limb here, i can't prove who it is, but skulz is the only guy thumbs downing anytime some one says something bad about jpop...wonder if thats one of jpop accounts so he can see what people say?

Could be that Skulz is just a really big fan of SWEP1.

2 weeks later
#5091 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The problem is people not understanding the reality of his experience.
His best games were made as a designer with a full fledged support team, computer hardware, parts, musicians, programmers - and a full fledged manufacturing factory.
Without that infrastructure, he has never proven he was capable of making a pinball machine....post Williams he had Zizzle games and a shitty iPhone app. Plus, the economics of the project never made sense. He took advantage of pinheads throwing money around during "Rare Pinball Fever" (MM, MB, AFM, BBB, TronLE, ACDC BIBLE, etc) without any realistic manufacturing gameplan.

And he had somebody setting deadlines and making sure shit got done in a timely manner.

#5107 4 years ago
Quoted from HunchbackHodler:

Kevin is a nobody with a pinball machine that always looked like crap and caused too many bricked shots with its terrible layout. Him failing will not make it into the pinball history books.
Whereas Popaduik is a pinball legend. His fall will create ripples of conversation for decades.

To the people who have skin in either game, the ripple effects will be just as significant whether it was John or Kevin who was the one taking their money and doling out false hope.

#5268 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

And that's just for the cabinet!
Boom boom tish!!
rd.

Then he could sleep in the cabinet.

#5428 4 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

John has been pretty hard at work on AIW:

foto_no_exif.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

That picture says it all. All he cares about is designing things. Not finishing them.

Game #3 (or 4 if you consider the ill-fated Kiss attempt) is being worked on when game #1 isn't even remotely close to going out the door and into owners' hands. Unbelievable...

#5456 4 years ago
Quoted from oopsallberrys:

The latest AIW update looks amazing but I do wonder how he got all that done and had any time to work on MG/RAZA.

He did it by not working on MG/RAZA. Looks like he's trying to find a way to raise more money.

#5459 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Stop it Jar, you don't need to state the obvious.

I don't know. Based on some of the back and forth in the Predator thread, it seems like the obvious needs to be stated from time to time. Not that it will necessarily be heard...

#5461 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It might not even be a money issue - if he doesn't have the hardware/software thing figured out yet - there's not much else he can do with MG & RAZA...so - he's working on the next one.

True. It makes me wonder what the next theme will be. Game #4 has to be just around the corner. Sadly, I'm only half-joking at this point.

And shouldn't he be figuring out the hardware/software side of things at this point anyway?

#5800 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I wonder what percentage of RAZA owners would request a refund if they could get one?
And no, I'm not going to start a stupid poll.

what-if-my-vote-decides-the-fate-of-this-post.jpg

2 weeks later
#6466 4 years ago
Quoted from ZidwarePR:

Want to see the marketing plan?

I've seen paintings of it.

#6627 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

There are no games for sale

AIW?

#6902 4 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Never played AMH, but Spooky cannot compete in the art department. It doesn't really matter who you want to bring up, no one can touch JPOP for his art. Spooky would design functional machines, but they just won't look anything like a JPop game which is why people threw money at him to begin with.

Unlike Jpop, Spooky has proven that they can actually build and deliver games. What good is John's "untouchable" art if the games never make their way into owners' game rooms? Never mind the fact that he doesn't actually produce the art himself.

All that aside, if you are a fan of Spooky #2's license you will be a fan of the artwork. Better yet, the game will actually get made. Imagine that!

2 weeks later
#8066 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

How long is the "reach around" period?

rd.

Not long enough.

1 week later
#8827 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

Why was the pic removed?

Great harm.

#9216 4 years ago
Quoted from kmoore88:

StevenP, right?

By the way it sounded, he was helping to craft the letter. I'm pretty sure someone else is the "licensee".

#9217 4 years ago

I can't imagine anyone is going to even toy with the notion of getting onboard with this without knowing who the licensee is and what their capabilities are.

image.jpg

#9710 4 years ago

John managed to swing a promotion at Zidware somewhere long the way. According to the letter he is now President instead of VP. That kid is going places!

#9717 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Didn't a guy on here who is a long time consider saying that someone was coming to save the day less than a week ago. His a star is a dude driving In a blue shirt with shades. going to see if I can find the post.

Fattrain? I'm thinking he's not your Huckleberry. May want to look north for angels.

#9730 4 years ago

Think I found the guy. Fresh off the bread lines.

image.jpg

#9750 4 years ago

You know we're in a dark place tonight when the boob thread can't get any traction.

#9988 4 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

I wouldn't go that far. Working yes ,great NO !

Even the working part is debatable.

#10021 4 years ago

Ice should put John Popadiuk in the thread title (along with the full names of the pinball machines). It will help with getting it indexed by the search engines.

#10052 4 years ago
Quoted from movingpictures:

Oh JPOP ... I'll never forget the pitch from his expo seminar this year:
"The custom nature of this limited run means I can work directly with the customer. For example, I can draw your dog and put your dog on the game"

Just what I've always wanted!

#10056 4 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

ok - quick n dirty ground floor pinball meme for anyone who wants it!
Now I need to step away - but this is therapeutic at least

pd_zy.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Damnit! It's already been delayed another 5 years from its original 2045 release. For shame!

#10057 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Weren't you involved originally Jar?
Good thing you bailed

Many moons ago. Back when Ben was still involved with BHZA. Ancient history these days.

#10060 4 years ago
Quoted from bounoun:

IF the working prototype ever gets made it better be the best pinball machine ever created. I dont see this happening.

Maybe they'll make it out of unobtainium.

#10546 4 years ago

I can't imagine a world where having John at that show is a good idea.

#10874 4 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

The rug is pretty ugly though...
rugreveal.jpg

Doesn't tie the room together at all.

#10942 4 years ago

What a difference some elbow grease and transparency can make. There's a long road ahead, but it seems like more has been accomplished in the last couple days than the last couple years.

#10946 4 years ago
Quoted from shakethatmachine:

The only transparent things so far is the ramps.
More accomplished in a couple of days than in a couple of years? Come on. For all the failure of Jpop, let's not go that far.

That's why I used the word "seems". John's secrecy gave the appearance of nothing happening other than reworking art constantly.

#10958 4 years ago

Probably this or the Xmen thread. The Xmen thread was insane when the game was officially announced.

#11342 4 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Pretty sure everyone meant deepthroat.

Hal Holbrook?

image.jpg

#11356 4 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

gambit3113™ has never heard of deeproot®. Who in the hell is deeproot®?

I searched for "deep root San Antonio" and it looks like this is your answer.

http://deeprootfunds.com/about/#.VWU2pXA8KK0

RJM = Robert J. Mueller

#11594 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

Hey y'all, turn on the TV.. there's some live footage of the MG prototype on its way to the pinball show...
magic_girl_proto.png

It appears the artwork has had a dramatic makeover.

#11867 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Let's sell the movie rights: Jpop: THE MOVIE ....film profits used to pay back everyone.
Who would play John? Too bad Phillip Seymore Hoffman is no longer with us.

I'd go with Benedict Cumberbatch or Jared Leto. Throw some crazy long hair and goofy glasses on either of them and you're good to go!

#12024 4 years ago
Quoted from pinsnob:

Gotta go with Ben on this one.
This is my favorite part.
» YouTube video

In that case, you should be looking for F. Murray Abraham to take the reins on the role.

#12292 4 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

JPop's from the future?

That might explain some things...

#12705 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Are you drunk posting again?

God I hope so. Ice's drunk posting nights are the stuff of legend. Bring on the hooch!

#12812 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Anti drunk posting keyboard breathalyzer!
Could be a great episode for my show - I can test it myself.

Terrible idea. Pinside wouldn't be the same without Ice's occasional drunk posting binges.

#13009 4 years ago

I'm in as well. Too cool not to buy!

#13019 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I'd love to see him release a fully completed backglass. Those would sell even faster.

I would buy it again if he does!

#13021 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I've got the Downfall files, I could make one.

Takes me back to when we made that one for Gran Turismo 5. Those were good times!

#13044 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

» YouTube video

It seems Hitler will never find happiness.

#13063 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Pinsiders do know, right, that the Hitler Reacts meme is over 6 years old?
Still, fun to drag it out for stuff like this and man, it was SOOOO easy to write

Indeed. Pretty sure the first one I ever saw was based off of the Xbox 360 Red Ring of Death back in 2009.

#13191 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

MAGIC ZOMBIEGIRL IN ATOMIC WONDERLAND!
let's build it and all the RAZA,AIW,MG buyers will be made whole?
It will be the tale about a zombie girl with big magical tits that drank atomic waste in radioactive wonderland and ofcourse turned purple and is eversince in sort of a retro rollercoaster acid pinball trip.
ZAP!

You had me at "big magical tits".

#13193 4 years ago
Quoted from Revo76:

Watch out for falling backboxes while playing the game with those heavy things on there, hahaha.

That's why so much time and care was put into developing the custom hinges.

#13204 4 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

No complaints on screen being blocked

image.jpg

Bottom fifth is at least partially blocked. That pic also does not appear to be from the player's point of view unless they're seven feet tall and leaned way over the playfield..

Thanks for the pic though. Nice to finally see something of the game.

#13232 4 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Or save a dollar and get it from your local Michael's for $4.99.
http://www.michaels.com/safari-ltd-snowy-owl/10126656.html

Time to corner the market!

#13237 4 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

Magic Girl here tomorrow?
image.jpg
Aaron
FAST Pinball

When do I need to have the popcorn ready?

#13248 4 years ago
Quoted from VacFink:

Marketing Strategy, it is the PNW afterall, "Put a bird on it."

The owl has a great "Where the f*ck am I?" expression on it's face.

#13259 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I would not be too sure about that. The game is supposedly just borrowed from Jpop. I know if I was in attendance and he had stolen 20k from me that he would be getting more than "polite complaining". I would make sure the guy was completely humiliated and unable to stay at the show.

I've got the perfect interviewer lined up. Guaranteed to deliver plenty of humiliation.

image.jpg

#13274 4 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

Thanks. I'll show two pics from Tuesday afternoon. Not sure why, they'll just be more flames, assumptions and wrong guesses about what's missing or what isn't missing - but here goes. The while blocks in the back with the arrows, were temp spacer guides for the monitor brackets before we put them back in, there were some zip ties being added to the wires behind the monitor, those right side wires won't show - this is not the final pic before loading. We hadn't reinstalled the right back plastic next to the monitor. Yes, the prototype schematics are in the upper left part of the pic - we used full size, full color documentation that was complete for lamps, flashers, switches and coils to double-check connections, wire colors, etc. Nothing is final, final until production. For example, we didn't have the final right-sized motor for the lion saw, rather than put on a temp placeholder, we left it off.
I can answer a few questions, but I'm just a minion, and its not my product - I'm not an owner and didn't ask for pay - its just to give it a chance to be judged, good or bad, and for Bill/Pintasia to have a shot at showing a close-to-final game.
Notice: If Bill wants the pics taken down - I'll do so.
IMG_7314.jpg IMG_7321.jpg

Nice seeing the playfield in a lit room. The colors on the playfield look really nice in this light. Thanks for sharing!

#13282 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Is the game any fun? Is the screen blocked too much by the ramps?
That's what I care about. But I'm just a bystander. IMHO if you're not an owner then calm down. There's no reason to be screaming at anyone. Especially not volunteers.
We're all going to see the game finally. Just let it happen.

Honestly I don't see where anybody is all that bent out of shape other than maybe a handful of the owners...and they have every right to be. Even in the case of the owners, I'd say they have been remarkably restrained given the situation and how much they have on the line.

Anybody involved in trying to wrest MG away from John to try to bring it to reality knew the shitstorm they were walking into. That said, I don't see anybody criticizing their efforts. All the anger and frustration is directed squarely at John. Right where it should be.

The sooner the game is revealed the better. Make it happen Bill.

#13297 4 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

wow... impossible not to take that personally

Pretty sure he was talking about the current lighting scheme. Not the art.

Looking at dark room pics with only a bunch of pink and blue lights providing illumination doesn't do anything for the art unfortunately. In fact, it is hard to see much of the art in the pics posted earlier in the thread. The pics in the lit room show off the art much better. I think it looks great! The lighting is what needs help and that's an easy fix.

#13341 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Here are some photos
MG1.jpg

Great harm!

#13345 4 years ago

The cabinet art is a whole other kettle of fish though. Doesn't jive with the playfield or backglass at all. If it didn't say "Magic Girl" on it I would think it was for a completely different game...

#13352 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Well remember it was done by an entirely different artist.

Yep. Just shows how bad of an idea that was. There was different cabinet art I saw at John's shop years ago that looked much better. Granted the theme has "evolved" a bit since those days.

If they get this thing off the ground, they should have Zombie Yeti do the cabinet art as well so the whole art package has a cohesive look and feel to it.

#13425 4 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

Sombody forget the rug?

Well played sir.

#13433 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Here here, I'll drink to that!

The party can finally get started now that Ice is here!

#13441 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

If only we were up in the great NW Jar!
I should have planned better but a pinball show was not a good excuse for me not going to New York with family
Work shit sounds a whole lot better

Hell yeah! Would have been a good time.

Unfortunately, I have to go into work tonight and pull an all nighter. Doing an upgrade of our ERP system. High excitement.

#14025 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

The technical term now is, "PURPLEWOOD."
A game with finished artwork, but lacking most of the mechanical features. That's a "Purplewood."

"Popawood" seems a more fitting term.

#14396 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Btw, I'd love to hang out and have a beer with any and all of you guys, and laugh about this fiasco one day!
Including Lowepg, I don't let things linger, life's too short, I can holler and scream and then hug it out the next day.

This leads to the most important question this thread has seen in some time... Will you be at Expo?

#15116 4 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Yeah they are not in on AIW but have multiple MG's plus a prototype and more than 1 of RAZA.

Talk about being balls deep in this thing. Holy shit!

#15122 4 years ago

I'm curious what the tipping point was.

#15737 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

It is very unlikely that JPop himself will appear.

Of course not. He'll be busy in his shop making magic!

#15922 4 years ago

Trent feels relevant at the current stage of this saga.

#15926 4 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

note: Trent is relevant every day

No truer words have ever been typed.

#16035 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Where do I send my money?!

You can send it to me. I'll build you just as many AIWs as John ever will.

#16043 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Don't feel bad, I know people that handed him wads of cash money, thousands of dollars.

#16111 4 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

He only posted one photo but the idea was that this great photographer was documenting history in the making.

In a way he may have. Just not the kind of history John had in mind.

#16194 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Yeah, that sounds like genius.
Imagine a 777 taking off at JFK spraying the neighbourhood with 50cal bullets! Haha!
rd.

Mounting Jason Statham to the front would appear to be more effective.

image.jpg

2 months later
#17576 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

If he does - EVERYONE should start chanting "SHAME! SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!" in unison, Game of Thrones style, until he leaves.

Expo would actually be worth going to for a show like that!

1 week later
#17810 4 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Go away libtard. Seriously Greg, go out and spend your trust fund and get off of Pinside for a while.

image.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 9.00
Playfield - Other
Hdmike mods
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 229.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jarjarisgod.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside