(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,316 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 166 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,696 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sucks (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20

Post #20523 Link to legal documents with allegations & responses Posted by DennisK (3 years ago)

Post #20526 Third amended complain document Posted by c508 (3 years ago)

Post #20532 Summary of complaints & responses in legal documents Posted by DennisK (3 years ago)

Post #20626 MG is now ready! Posted by TecumsehPlissken (2 years ago)

Post #20631 Scott Goldberg mail on MG completion Posted by TecumsehPlissken (2 years ago)

Post #21819 Information on webpage dedicated to Magic Girl Code Features. Posted by applejuice (2 years ago)

Post #22024 moderation notice Posted by Xerico (2 years ago)

Post #22304 Photos of every page of the Magic Girl manual. Posted by vidgameseller (2 years ago)

Post #22584 Lion Saw feature information. Posted by applejuice (2 years ago)

Post #22710 Very detailed review from a game owner Posted by ShinyNick (2 years ago)

Post #22817 Details on the origin of the driver board Posted by Borygard (2 years ago)

Post #22957 Comparison photos between a MG 'prototype' and another shipped MG Posted by spfxted (2 years ago)

Post #23045 Pinball News first look review. Posted by Pinballs (2 years ago)

Post #23392 Ebay Auction for NIB Magic Girl #007 Posted by fattrain (2 years ago)

Post #23611 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by dgarrett (2 years ago)

Post #23615 Interview with Linda Deal (artist), speaking about CV and TOM Posted by toyotaboy (2 years ago)

Post #23754 The Deeproot link. Posted by pin2d (2 years ago)

Post #23946 Result of civil suit against JPOP Posted by rommy (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frax.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#244 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

No, this is 100% a policy thing. If you all saw what's going on behind closed doors, you'd be very much impressed. The ONLY reason I'm forced to back out is that I'll be without a job come Dec 1st, so buying a $10k pin isn't in the cards for me anymore.
My loss is someone else' game -- and no, I will not be profiting from this. Homie don't play dat.

Sorry to hear that man.

1 month later
#312 5 years ago

It's only worth stealing if it ever gets to market. Otherwise it's just a failed concept.

#334 5 years ago

Fantastic art but yeah that's a rather UMMMMMMM resemblance there. Cool hinge, bro.

#832 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

recover whatever may be around (if anything).

Would be worth it just to get the art and patents for these projects, IMO.

There's his motivation to get er' done....and if he does, I am gonna be so pissed I'm not in on AIW.

#855 5 years ago
Quoted from gstellenberg:

Hmm... I find that quote quite interesting.
- Gerry

Was this supposed to be a dig at FAST, or Jpop, or even Mike? If it's not relevant to the discussion at hand.....perhaps might want to consider explaining that comment. If it IS......perhaps might want to consider explaining that comment. Either way, that's a pretty ambiguous statement that could be taken many different ways, and pretty much none of them good.

*Edit* Oh, was MG/BHZA supposed to use P3 boards at some point?

#1008 5 years ago

How the hell are you going to have a Miyazaki based pin illustrated by....not Miyazaki. LOL.

*edit* I know you said original for C&H but still, kinda funny to think about either of those being handled by outside artists, or without their direct hands involved.

#1011 5 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

How many do you think he could sell, maybe 10?

Do what.... C&H or Totoro? lol.

C&H could make a cool pin, but the extreme risk of screwy voiceovers is....very high. Could see that turning into a train wreck real fast.

Can't speak for Totoro...never seen it, but Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke definitely have some interesting things that could be worked into pinball. Besides... JPOP is already selling games in the sub-50 total region already. How's that any different?

I'd be in on AIW for sure if I had the money, and if the business model this whole company is operating under wasn't so questionable. It's not exactly a "dude" appealing theme, and I don't really think it has a lot of mass appeal either, but you just never know..

#1035 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Jpop is going to team up on a joint venture basis with JJP.

Hope not, because then I'll absolutely not buy his product regardless of what it is.

#1039 5 years ago

Why? Because I feel like JJP, as a company, doesn't respect the community or their customers. Which sucks. WoZ is a fun game, Hobbit has potential, but their pricing practices and how they interface with the community at large is a total joke. I'd rather have no information at all than to be fed BS constantly. The utter arrogance of how their communications are handled is beyond a caricature of Jersey at this point. The fact that they think they can do ridiculous things like threaten legal action over fan mockups... etc...etc...etc...etc.. the list just goes on and on. I will support the ops that choose to buy their games. I will not buy their games, end of story. There's no sign of any intent or will by them to change it...

Not going to discuss that any further on this thread, as it's been done to death elsewhere and this thread isn't for that, but you asked. There's no sign of any intent or will by them to change it.

#1044 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Well who does respect the pinball community?
If I want my Jpop pin sooner, and I do, then I want JJP to build it. Jpop respects them
It's still Jpop and his pin. But I agree, the arrogance, stupidity, etc is astounding at times. But it's in no way limited to JJP

Stern doesn't go out of their way to come onto the forums and slap people with lawsuit threats and call them idiots. They also don't randomly jack up the price of their games after the price has already been announced.

I'm not begruding anyone their Jpop games, no matter how they get produced. I'm waiting on AIW and to see what becomes of it. I have no interest vested or otherwise in BHZA, and while Magic Girl is a theme I'm very interested in, 17k for a pin is not something that I will EVER be willing to do.

#1053 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I don't want to make this about JJP or Stern but seriously, Gary doesn't even read the internet and they certainly aren't the Saints of Pinball or pillars of truth
I like Jpop better than all of them. As/if he lines up outside help, hopefully things will come together.
Let's see in two weeks

Okay, but sometimes nothing is better than being a loudmouthed twit.

Not that I personally take that to heart very often, but hey. Nobody's perfect.

1 week later
#1086 5 years ago

"Frax said:

Jpop is going to team up on a joint venture basis with JJP"

Quoted from marlboroman:

I respectfully disagree

If you are going to quote me, then quote things I actually said, not quotes that *I* quoted.

2 weeks later
#1274 5 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

When Zid's games finally release they are gonna be worth their weight in gold. If someone could honestly say that about WOZ I'll do a back flip~

There were plenty of people that made a fast 3 grand or more off selling their WOZLE's.

2 weeks later
#1696 5 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

It's like an entmoot in there

omg, lol.....this is the best post on this thread so far.

#2404 5 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Kaneda please get the hell out of this thread! Everyone else please ignore him.

Wish granted. Least I can do. He's been added to the list....especially after I got to the "who you bang defines your life" part.

#2478 5 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

Adobe told them they wouldn't be releasing the video until March. So I guess they kind of ruined johns surprise a bit by releasing it yesterday. He meant to reveal to his buyers before this got out but adobe kind of spoiled the surprise i guess.

Oh DARN. =P

#2484 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Say what? I had sent in an original deposit of $1895 in large measure just to support Jpop knowing that AIW would be a LONG ways away.
This is the first I've heard of this price tag.

Ditto... >=|

Minus having sent a deposit, but we did get an info pack with the seal thingy from him. I'm still not sure I'd sell two great games for it, but if his crap ever coalesces from dookie into diamonds, I might want to get in on AIW..

1 week later
#2654 5 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Never seen any horse c**ks on a pinball though. Oh yeah, there is one machine now I think of it ....

"Woah Nellie"? : p

#2658 5 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Don't think that's got any massive danglers on it?
However, Google "IPDB big dick" and you'll see some.
rd.

IPB brought the repro backglass to TPF 2 years ago. Have seen it in real life.

Oh, and look up Woah Nellie on urbandictionary. Might be an american thing.

#2793 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

He is a potential owner.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

2 weeks later
#3318 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

New mechanisms go through hundreds of thousands of hours to get data on reliability.

Are you nuts? Have you ever seen the Transformers lock, or the Hulk toy, or....

I mean, let's be for real here.. assume that "hundreds of thousands" is the bare minimum to meet your qualification 200,000 hours. At one mech in test that is 22 years. With 25 mechs in test that is still the better part of a year. You seriously think that Stern is testing ANY mech 25 at a time for the better part of a year, straight?

Might want to at least try to be semi-realistic with your hyperbole, instead of totally ludicrous.

#3324 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Frax:meant to type hundreds (if not) thousands, I can see the craziness of my statement

Okay, cool. I rescind my thumbs down.

2 weeks later
#3763 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I don't really care for the way they chose to portray Alice, she's a rather unappealing central figure, but maybe the vision for the game has her being a total bitch instead of sympathetic, I dunno.

Nailed it.

Ugh.... /facepalm. I had high hopes for the art on this if it ever came to fuition, but those hopes just got smashed bigtime. That is one ugly Alice.

#3774 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

*shrug* I like that Alice. This isn't a Disney representation. She has attitude and isn't some trembling whiny little girl. Plus, she's hot...hot women in pinball = win.

Good for you. I'll thumbs down you too, now we both disagree with each other, yay!

Seriously, there's been "alternative" representations of Alice (American McGee) that I liked, but it's not the direction I would've wanted to have seen. It's not about hot or not, it's about the tone and mannerism of the character. Dig the Cheshire Cat, all the rest.... BLUEARGH. No. Certainly colors will help out this art, but if you don't like the lines, the rest don't really matter. I have no doubt that the art package overall is going to exceed most pinball production in terms of detail, but it ain't my thing, and I really REALLY wanted to be in on this after seeing the initial art.

#3775 4 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

I disagree with your disagree Even with all the issues, his runs are still sold out.

Easy to be "Sold out" when you refuse to issue refunds, eh?

#3801 4 years ago

Right, what Marcus said. Not sure why it should be anyone else's problem that he promised refundable deposits that he apparently had no capital to back up when the games took way way longer than projected.

Anyways, I might just go ahead and drain this thread now that I've seen some Alice art...that was always my primary interest because I never had any intention of spending 20k on a pin, and Zombies are so over-done at this point... was bored with zombies before TWD was even announced.

2 weeks later
#4022 4 years ago

Anyone notice the "Ride the Comet" and "Ride the Cyclone" on the sidebar of the RAZA PF sketch? I thought John was about innovation..

At least one interesting thing I see though.. the inserts on the top right of the captive ball picture..what's going on there? Looks as though there's almost a clear glassy-look insert or a half inch of clear over a thin insert there. Looks like the lettering is floating in the air above the insert due to whatever was done there..pretty interesting. The arrow inserts under Lion Saw (LULZ ORIGINALITY WUT) look to be the same "style" but without art on them.

2 weeks later
#4609 4 years ago

Kind of interesting. Not much for the lens-flarey animation on some of those samples, but the underlying art is good. Cabinet art looks amazing, and so does all the other art. Kind of like how we have seen with RAZA, Magic Girl has seemed to be a wierd amalgamation of "not-magic, but science and technology fooling people" themes. Looks interesting for sure. The "Sir Issac Newton Ball" made me literally LOL, and does he seriously have "Theatre of Magic Post" in text by the between flipper pop up post.. no way that makes it into production art.

If MG makes it into production, I would be interested in AIW, but only then.

#4664 4 years ago
Quoted from notaflyingtoy:

"Printing presses" doesn't sound very boutique to me. Sounds like a shift away from John's vision.
If it's going to be about sound business practice and ROI then the MG and RAZA folks need to come to terms with opening up those runs.

If he can't get games out the door, his vision is totally irrelevant anyways.

#4681 4 years ago
Quoted from notaflyingtoy:

Totally? Not totally.
I do agree to what I think you're inferring. Hopefully my point won't be lost: if anyone actually thinks that the only way to get these games out is to increase the amount of a single title getting made, then it should be the first one, Magic Girl. The "patrons" need to "fall on the sword." It seems self serving to say, "to get our 50 (or 250) boutique games made Jpop needs to change what he is doing on Alice and other future games." Especially if you don't think Zidware has a sound business plan, you change that plan now, not later.

I agree that later games should not be subsidizing earlier games. If he needs additional money to put each game out the door, then the allowable run size for each should be increased per game to cover it.

#4739 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Please pre-order, so I have a chance to get my RAZA.

Sorry for your situation but.....f that noise..

#4919 4 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

Alice that reminds me way too much of this:

Stiffler's Mom in Wonderland? lol

#4952 4 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

Couldn't disagree more. I wasn't born and raised in Texas but I love the Texas attitude. Texas gets shit done.

<insert one of many many texas political failures to "get shit done" here>

Texas is the storm wall against the hurricane of common sense...

#4981 4 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

no matter where you go, someone who doesn't wear the same color tie as you will do something to piss you off. Don't think that's unique to the Lone Star State.

True, but in other places, they're not the ones frequently in control. I don't want to turn this into a politics thread, but I am going to extinguish this asinine belief that everyone that lives in Texas thinks OMG THIS IS THE BESTEST PLACE EVAR.......

#4989 4 years ago

*edit* I'm not going to get sucked into this stupidity.

Why was Generica moderated and not anyone else?

#4991 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

You mean like your idiotic comment posted here:

Thanks for your contribution.

And yours is just as valuable.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 139.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frax.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside