(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,288 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 168 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,694 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png
B3F72CE8-1FCA-4E93-9994-CCC068D8F4C2 (resized).jpeg
7A86BB52-E1F5-4086-955C-86A6383C27D3 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

21 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20

Post #20523 Link to legal documents with allegations & responses Posted by DennisK (2 years ago)

Post #20526 Third amended complain document Posted by c508 (2 years ago)

Post #20532 Summary of complaints & responses in legal documents Posted by DennisK (2 years ago)

Post #20626 MG is now ready! Posted by TecumsehPlissken (2 years ago)

Post #20631 Scott Goldberg mail on MG completion Posted by TecumsehPlissken (2 years ago)

Post #21819 Information on webpage dedicated to Magic Girl Code Features. Posted by applejuice (2 years ago)

Post #22024 moderation notice Posted by Xerico (2 years ago)

Post #22304 Photos of every page of the Magic Girl manual. Posted by vidgameseller (2 years ago)

Post #22584 Lion Saw feature information. Posted by applejuice (2 years ago)

Post #22710 Very detailed review from a game owner Posted by ShinyNick (2 years ago)

Post #22817 Details on the origin of the driver board Posted by Borygard (2 years ago)

Post #22957 Comparison photos between a MG 'prototype' and another shipped MG Posted by spfxted (2 years ago)

Post #23045 Pinball News first look review. Posted by Pinballs (2 years ago)

Post #23392 Ebay Auction for NIB Magic Girl #007 Posted by fattrain (2 years ago)

Post #23611 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by dgarrett (2 years ago)

Post #23615 Interview with Linda Deal (artist), speaking about CV and TOM Posted by toyotaboy (2 years ago)

Post #23754 The Deeproot link. Posted by pin2d (1 year ago)

Post #23946 Result of civil suit against JPOP Posted by rommy (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dcfan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#299 5 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

Empty cabinets ...

image.jpg 99 KB

Not surprising. Status unchanged then.

#331 5 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

Raza art. Is the Martian from Mars attacks!

C&D from Rick coming soon?

#354 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

Mars Attacks (the movie/comic).. not Attack from Mars.

Who owns that robot on the backglass?

#356 5 years ago

AOL TimeWarner, and Fred Barton Productions, Inc. (Hereinafter referred to as “AOLTW/FBPI”) acknowledge the fans’ interest, and enthusiasm, for the most famous robot in entertainment history: “Robby, the Robot”® (Hereinafter referred to as “ROBBY®”), and their desire to obtain a replica of “ROBBY®”. Fred Barton Productions, Inc. is the exclusive source of “ROBBY®” replicas. If you choose to scratch-build a replica of “ROBBY®”, and display it in your home, for your personal enjoyment; please be aware of the following restrictions:

1. The manufacture, or transfer of: unauthorized reproductions of “ROBBY®”, or derivative works pertaining to “ROBBY®” is EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED

2. The manufacture, or transfer of: unauthorized component parts of “ROBBY®”, or derivative works pertaining to component parts of “ROBBY®” is EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.

3. The exhibition of: unauthorized reproductions of “ROBBY®”, derivative works pertaining to “ROBBY®”, the component parts of “ROBBY®”, or derivative works pertaining to the component parts of “ROBBY®” is EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.

4. The creation, or transfer in any form of any materials depicting: “ROBBY®”, derivative works pertaining to “ROBBY®”, the component parts of “ROBBY®”, or derivative works pertaining to the component parts of “ROBBY®”; for the purpose of promoting the production of unauthorized replicas of “ROBBY®” or the component parts of “ROBBY®” is EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.

2 months later
#2931 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Is that how the patent system works? For example the "pinball interacting with the screen" patent application, does someone need to come forward and tell them that P3 had a prototype demo before?
What happens if no one did that, even if that was the case? How much research can the patent office actually do for weird obscure things like pinball parts?

There are non-patent literature sources, but I am not sure specifically for pinball what would be available. Doesn't Pinball 2000 interact with the ball? There are patents for that.

#3006 4 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

If you go there after all this bluster and JPOP puts you in a headlock, gives you a wedgie and throws you out onto the sidewalk, it'll be the greatest thing to happen in pinball since the invention of the flipper.

You obviously don't know much about Iceman. He is a big guy.

#3012 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I believe Smith and Wesson leveled that playing field.
Iceman's famous father was also a big man whom I admired greatly. I wonder what he might think of his son's yelling and insulting people here.

The point is that we are talking about legal options here, not physical options. Ice is also a lawyer. He is not the one talking about physical violence, TOK is that person.

#3014 4 years ago

Yes, I would be ecstatic if someone put their neck out to get results in this debacle if I had money in the projects.

2 weeks later
#3704 4 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

Why is there a guy boarding?

It looks like he is riding the lightning.

#3809 4 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

Translites look good,
time to change the one on the game page on pinside?
https://www.facebook.com/208420082535873/photos/a.211017292276152.57948.208420082535873/913877745323433/?type=1

RetroZombieTranslite.jpg 49 KB

What is JPop's obsession with acid purple and green?

#3841 4 years ago
Quoted from retro_p:

I think the colors look amazing, truly stunning. I wouldn't change it at all, seriously.

You are missing the point. It is not that it does not look good/decent. It is the fact that so much of his art work uses several of generally the same primary colors regardless of game/venue.

#3843 4 years ago
Quoted from Robotoes:

Really? Like what? ToM, WCS94, CV and SWE1 all are pretty difficult color schemes. Sure, you can make the leap that RAZA and MG are somewhat similar but kinda makes sense to me as they're being worked on concurrently, and you can also say that they share some similarities with CV. Don't think anyone has seen colored artwork for AIW yet.
Not trying to be a dick, I just don't think you can really make a good case on this front. Dude has only really designed four production games you can accurately ascribe to him, and they're all pretty different.

Outside of SWE1 which is more a cookie cutter licensed art package, JPop's games have a ton of bright purple and often greens that are acid tones. CV, WCS, TOTAN and to a lesser degree TOM all have the purple and three of them have a lot of the greens.

#3846 4 years ago
Quoted from Robotoes:

Yeah it's like...what obligation is any artist under to vary their style much less their color choice? These are things that artists cultivate SO THAT when people see it they recognize it as theirs. There's lots of colors that are different among those pins. Lots that are the same. I think you could say this about a lot of pinball artists.

It was recently shown that the artist is not JPop but rather someone he hired to do MG and RAZA.

Quoted from YKpinballer:

So you shouldn't really be surprised by this at this point?

I was only asking a question as to why he continues to use similar colors.

1 month later
#5227 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

My money is on the Iceman.
rd.

From my conversations with Ice, I believe he is a realist....not a sugar coating type when things get serious.

1 week later
#6014 4 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

What possible reason can anyone offer not to begin legal proceedings to recover money from John Popiaduk? I ordered BHZA and the deadline has way passed and he no longer appears to be even attempting to finish his first game. This appears to be a giant scam.
With this and Predator - there are people on this board who have helped to fleece members here for over $2 million.
When will it stop?
When will Pinside STOP being the preferred media used by scammers to bilk the pinball community?
This needs to stop...no more Scamside.

There is certainly way too much of the financial risk being put on the buyer and not enough on the sellers.

#6185 4 years ago

It would be a fascinating scenario if the owners got together and hired a programmer after the game was delivered with little code. A physical game delivered without much code but open to code mods would be way better than no game at all. We all know the art will be outstanding.

Maybe that would be something the pre-buyers should group together and discuss with John to get something for their hard earned money.

#6189 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I'd rather bankrupt him if it came to it. Who wants a pretty boat anchor?

It would not be a boat anchor if the owners got together and had some code done the way they want it to be done. Bankrupting John does not appear to be a good end result for the pre-buyers as they would end up with nothing. At least with delivering a game lacking programming there would be the possibility of modding the game to have good code.

I am certainly not on John's side, but am merely trying to be realistic of what could be salvaged so that everyone gets the most possible of what is left. Iceman obviously has lost hope so that should tell people things are not looking rosy at the moment.

#6255 4 years ago

The real question is are the owner's going to get a backdoor layup as the end result? John certainly will not be the one getting that layup. Only pain is in his future if his game plan is a failure as it looks like it will be.

1 week later
#6954 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

'fun' is the eye of the beholder or I guess the player. But you are welcome to play mine at expo, or talk to those who have. The feedback as been very positive on it. Certainly not done with it yet. But to your point, the second game I was working on, when I finally got it to the point I could actually play it for real, vs a 'simulator', I was just not happy with it, the toys were great, and was pretty pleased with where the the dots and sounds were, but the overall play relative to the software was just "off" -- too much going on at the same time which confused things, and it needs some serious re-work -- but it does have cool toys.
This video of my first game is pretty old many things of changed, as this was while I was converting to the larger, color display, at some point you will see graphics from when it was standard DMD which will give you a sense of the difference. (plus the guy playing was stoned or drunk at the time). The return is also much nicer then this hacked together thing, having had a custom one made. I need to do an updated video and clearly I need to find an artist.
» YouTube video

Is that a modded Whirlwind layout?

#7096 4 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

Translation:
I am still fiddling around. Pinside has foiled my master plan. I am really broke. I have an attorney. No, I am not kidding; I really need some money. If you know someone with money, bring them to me. Yes, I am serious, I have an attorney. Thanks for the money so far. Let me keep fiddling.

Yep. It sure did seem to sound like a confession that he has spoiled most if not all the funds already.

#7114 4 years ago

jpoop.jpg

#7194 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Here's my disconnect. I don't believe you. Sorry, just don't. But it's simple, can be proved with 20 minutes of effort. Mr. I WORK 8 DAYS A WEEK can find 20 minutes.
Post a video, of both games, flipping. Right now. Tuesday night. If they're mostly complete he can do that.
If he doesn't then I assume you're wrong, don't understand that there's a lot more to do and are dazzled by his LSD that he exudes from his sweat.
He's broke, the games have easily a year to go before they're even ready for production, he has no factory, and no money to buy one, it's over. You have to see this. There's no path for him to ride solo on this anymore, if there's even a path at all.

Also, what about programming? Without code even the best DMD games would suck.
Just ask Keefer or Lyman how much work goes into the code for a game to be good.

#7240 4 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I just don't get how he doesn't feel responsible for the money he is holding.

It does not sound like he has much or any of the money left. Who knows if in his mind he feels any remorse for the people that he has taken so much of their hard earned money. It has not been shown that he even has the capability of empathy up to this point.

1 week later
#7677 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

John's gambit was take pre-orders, make a bunch of pretty art and patents, and get bought out/hired before he actually had to produce anything.

Did John actually say that in your presence or is that the presumption based on the evidence? If he said it that is pretty damning for him.

#7844 4 years ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

Last I heard jpop offered his designs with a royalty of $125 per machine to the larger manufacturers
The problem was who was going to supply the money for the already paid games.
Crickets???

It seems JPop does not understand the buyer's point of view that they paid a premium price for a very limited game. Did he just drag on the design process pissing away all the funds that would have been used to build the actual games thinking that another manufacturer would buy the rights while also increasing the build run for it to work financially? That would be a blatant disregard for the pre-buyer's/investor's desires.
JPop sure seems like someone that is trying to milk a living off of incomplete work. He appears to have been collecting a salary all these years and in addition expecting a payday for selling off the incomplete work.

#7853 4 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Given the size of most pinball runs these days, $125 bucks a machine does not seem like much of a payday (I imagine any of the three games shown would be VERY lucky to break 1000 units at current pricing). Especially when you are fending off lawsuits from your initial buyers. More likely you are lucky to say $125 X 600... not nothing, but hardly worth scheming years to collect.

Don't forget that he appears to have already collected hundreds of thousands of dollars of the pre-order money as a salary over the last few years.

#7855 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

And of course, there is nothing wrong with collecting a salary.

It just sucks if he was collecting that salary while never intending to actually follow through with building the limited number of games he had indicated, but instead to pass off the building of games to a third party.

#7993 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

John ain't talking.
I just saw that Cointaker posted to the raza blog. Out of respect to him I won't repost here, but the post was not good, especially for someone who should be "inside" and is responsible for 2 dozen machines. He obviously was venting like all of us because we don't have much else.

Cointaker is probably in position to lose the most of anybody in the mess.

1 week later
#8472 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Glad to see Pinside has updated the dates for John's pins, it pissed me off to see these games listed as 2013.
It would be cool to see the years x'ed out as they pass 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 etc..
'image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

I would change the dates to "in your dreams" or something else witty like that. Why should Pinside partake in John's fantasy world with estimated dates? John has proven himself not worthy of estimates since he lives for himself with little regard for other's feelings.

I do also like the X'ed out idea as well.

#8848 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Basically what we've been living through the past 4 years. Seeing glimpses of great stuff.
But now we've learned the hard truth that all those pieces haven't added up to a completed game, and the numbers kicked around in this thread show that he can't actually build the machine he is showing.
All that "spared no expense" attention to detail means impossible to fund the builds of our machines.
A real kick in the balls.

Is it the hard truth or the "middle truth"?

#9526 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Making pinballs is hard.
Refunding is hard.
Buying pinballs is hard.

Spending other people's pre-order money without producing anything is EASY.

#9577 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I don't think that part has been in this thread yet, just quoted. This is it if anyone cares:
Order-Confirm.pdf (Click image to enlarge)
Forum embed treats white as transparent over a black background, so you have to click to read it.

Are they asking that more money be sent to Zidware with the legal document signed while John is still in charge? That is Nuts!

#9598 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The people that have real $$$ on the line will make the right choice for them. And it will be clearer this weekend.
Some of you people should be ashamed of yourselves. Since when did it become a bad thing to come in and offer to bail out an idiot like John so we all have a chance at getting our pins.
What i know for a FACT, that you guys will soon know for a FACT, over the weekend is that this group is real and legit and I suspect that more time and explanation will be forthcoming.
He is a great guy and asset to pinball now in a big way and doesn't deserve the BS some of you are slinging his way.
Let the FACTS come out, there is much more to come. I'm sure most of the people involved will be very happy with the situation.

The guy/investor/saviour needs to come here and present his proposal CLEARLY. Also, any money anybody submits needs to go to a post JPop controlled Zidware.

#9627 4 years ago

Ice, can you tell us if this licensee is someone most pinheads already know?

#9696 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I do believe you all know him!
Maybe he'll come out of the closet this weekend.

I am guessing Terry, but I really don't know him well enough to know if he has the financial ability to pull this off.

#10313 4 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Where's PDXMonkey now?
image.jpg

He is busy thumbing down posts in this thread.

#12001 4 years ago
Quoted from The_Crow:

Unbelievable... I am completely paid for raza and preorder AIW and have nothing to show and while I should be more angry at JPOP, i find myself more frustrated by the pinside quaterbacks. I think the goal of the trolls is to frustrate Bill/pintasia so that everything is lost once again. It feels like cancer in here and maybe a good time for me to get some distance from this thread. Sure doesn't seem like a community interested in furthering pinball.

Sure there are a few here on Pinside that get off on the drama of the pinball train crashes, but that is not the true problem in the hobby or with Pinside.
The true cancer is the pre-pay business model.

#12593 4 years ago

JPop is not only dead to the hobby, but is dead to this site (Pinside). EVERYONE needs to get that through their heads.

#12605 4 years ago

Doesn't Pinball 2000 already do this?:

What is claimed is:
1. A pinball game, comprising:
an inclined playfield configured to support a rolling ball and a plurality of game play elements;
a video display provided proximal to the playfield;
at least one sensor provided proximal to the video display; and
a processor arrangement provided in communication with the at least one sensor and the video display;
wherein the at least one sensor is configured to detect at least one of contact with or proximity to the ball, and to generate a signal based on such detection; and
wherein the processor arrangement is configured to receive the signal and cause at least one graphical element to be displayed proximal to the at least one sensor based on the signal.

#13240 4 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

If you want to own that owl toy today then you can order it from here for $5.99.
http://anwo.com/store/snowy-owl-toy-miniature.htm

What a bargain for a $16,000 game.

#13910 4 years ago
Quoted from Sparky347:

More gameplay...
Watch "Magic Girl Gameplay" on YouTube
» YouTube video

Is the art an overlay on plywood? I can see it flexing as the ball travels.

#14349 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Left side has the same spinning lamp mech as TOTAN.

Was JPoop making this game as a tribute to his ego?

#14395 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

Rai,it must feel supergood that you listened to your gut feeling,wow,while i actually transferred an extra $2000 dec.2014...i cannot help but feeling sooo stupid,no progress,nothing,silent AIW blog and no red flags...

Quoted from Hwawonyu:

No red flags in Dec 2014??? Oh lord man!

Oh lord is right. There were some huge red flags back when Doughslingers was asking for his money back on Magic Girl back in late 2013.

From December 2013:

Quoted from doughslingers:

I still can not get my Magic Girl refund and its been since the last day of Expo when I signed its release. I hated to let it go,even sold BBB back in Feb to raise money on another tax issue. I still believe its coming, just like my kids believe in Santa. I hope it arrives soon to pay for the NEC digital projector that cost me almost 80k and Magic Girl is a large part of my down payment. Please John don"t disappoint my kids, we want to open by June for peak drive in season.

#14414 4 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Come on dude, you're not 11 years old right? "JPOOP" is super childish.

I am sorry "dude", but the guy is dead to the hobby and no longer deserves my respect or anyone else's.

Also, your "childish" comment is a violation of Pinside rules.

#14421 4 years ago

JPlunder.

#14828 4 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice. --Albert Einstein

Einstein was the ultimate quote machine. You don't necessarily expect a renowned scientist to be a great philosopher as well.

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/a/albert_einstein.html

#14829 4 years ago

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

#14884 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

That display patent just got non-final rejected yet again, too, so good luck with that one.
His light one may have been paid extra not to publish (which you can do), especially since JJP kind of interfered with the display one a bit.
Edit: OK I see now it was fairly recently published, after the last time I did a search on them. That's going to be a tough sell, too, though.

Is StevenP still going to represent him now that he will not be getting a game in lieu of attorney's fees?

#14898 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

I have nfi what their agreement is or anything like that. There's been no filed change of lawyer, though.

A lot of patent applications simply die after the rejection, especially in times of financial distress such as the last recession.

#14912 4 years ago
Quoted from Tazdingo:

Hey DCFAN-
You are correct, it did not deserve a thumbs down, I removed it. I was reading too quickly and missed Keefer's reference to the display patent in your quote. I wrongly assumed you were insinuating StevenP was representing John in matters other than Patent filings. My bad, I apologize.

No problem. Thanks for the reply and much respect to you. I also respect StevenP and don't want it to sound like I was implying he is/was doing anything that is wrong. He was in a position to help JPop with his business which would have been good for pre-buyers and it is a shame things have not worked out for everybody because John was not capable.

#14917 4 years ago

One question I have/had regarding the JPop display patent application and interaction with the ball, was that feature to be implemented in both both Magic Girl and RAZA pinball machines?

I always suspected that PPS, which I believe still owns the rights to Williams Pinball 2000 patents, would have been after John once he started producing games.

#14969 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Let's hope he goes to jail. He certainly should in my opinion.

I am no lawyer, but I would guess the only way he goes to jail is either he did tax fraud on some of the income he took from Zidware or somehow it is proven that he was taking money for something he already knew would not be made.

#15059 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

WTH?
What did I miss?
Something appears to have happened that I've completely missed, and I thought I was caught up on the thread. Where has JPop indicated that Zidware is going to continue? Where was this said/posted?? Where is the exact quote??

post number 15007?

#15061 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

WTH?
What did I miss?
Something appears to have happened that I've completely missed, and I thought I was caught up on the thread. Where has JPop indicated that Zidware is going to continue? Where was this said/posted?? Where is the exact quote??

post number 15007?

#15062 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

post number 15007?

The new server is doing some really squirrelly stuff right now.

#15078 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

New TBL update references Jpop. Things are still looking good. Some positive news for a change.

Isn't it risky for DP to be using light tubes since JJP has already done that in WOZ and Jack said they have a bunch of patent applications for WOZ and Hobbit?

#15151 4 years ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

Man I still get wood looking at the ZA cabs & Backglasses.

I think you may have a different kind of wood now from all the agony John has put people through and that wood is splinters. Ouch.

1 month later
#16736 4 years ago
Quoted from Tigger64:

You'll notice assembling/manufacturing is never mentioned.
Guess it's not an important milestone.

It appears to me that these new progress updates by John are all about showing the courts where the money was burned for the lawsuits he will face.

#16911 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Anyone doing a Google search for John Popaduke will not see anything bad on the first page, they will see an article comparing him to Steve Jobs however.
Page 2 and 3 will mention the failed bailout attempt.
If you type in John Popaduke thief or John Popaduke jerk you will get better results but still mostly positive, a few about the bankrupsy.
Even typing in Magic Girl pinball will only yield positive results on the first page.

Perhaps Robin should add something to this page to say JPop appears to have squandered hundreds of thousands of dollars of pinball fan's money on Magic Girl and RAZA so that Google will have something negative for John on the first page of the search results.

Capture10.JPG

2 months later
#17750 4 years ago

Toward the end of the podcast it sure sounded as if John was trying to sell himself in hope of being hired as a designer at one of the existing pinball manufacturers. Essentially, he was talking about how he has learned so much through this failed business that would translate into an asset to one of the pinball companies.

Of course, the problem even if that extra learning experience was true and meant something to the manufacturers such as Stern and JJP, it is doubtful many people would want to buy any new games with John's name associated with it.
His days as a pinball designer for a real pinball company are likely very much over.

#17776 4 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

You guys are victims, you didn't do anything wrong.
There is literally nobody to blame other than John Popadiuk.

It is a pity John does not see it that way.

#17788 4 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I really hope he shows, and I really hope you do.
If you can stress him out to the point of a mental implosion, you might just do some good.

Gosh, for your sake I hope JPop shows at Expo. You will get to see the real Hwawonyu that us Northern VA pinheads know and love.

1 week later
#18026 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

"Wasn't a smart idea to do this in the first place"....."taxes", blah, blah, blah, State of Illinois, blah, blah, blah,......"it's complicated/hard".....
You took over a Million dollars and simply stuck it in your pocket you AHOLE!

I am convinced he wants and hopes pinball people continue to finance his life. I am not sure where else he has to turn to make a living.
At this point he could have a warehouse of old Williams/Bally memorabilia from his games and I am not sure he could sell it.

#18030 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

JPOP fan bois..

Or plants.

1 week later
#18211 4 years ago

Is that the "van" he is going to live in that he was talking about recently?

#18220 4 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

That is Molly from pins and needles

That is exactly what I thought. It also looks as though Molly might be engaged or married.

#18228 4 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

20151016065640.jpg
10-16-2015 12-05-28 PM.png
I don't know if I would be sportin' a custom plate and parking it anywhere near Expo.

I hope nobody was carrying keys around in that parking lot.

1 week later
#18281 4 years ago
Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

He's got an interview in Pinball Magazine #3 as well.He talks about his KISS foam core design and how and why Stern went and made KISS without him.
About his rejecting a job at Stern he says,and I quote:"A couple of my customers kind of forbade me to work a deal with them.They didn't want Stern parts in their games and such."

Just more customer blaming.

1 week later
#18336 4 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Finally read up on this all. What a sad story. Though perhaps a very necessary one for the industry and community.
With regard to this being some kind of intentional fraud or not, I don't really get that vibe. He seems delusional and highly narcissistic. People with these traits, when they get into something, both praise and criticism, success and failure, it all adds to the disconnect between reality and the picture of it they have in their head. Inertia and diversionary behaviour also tends to increase exponentially, whereby they'll actually actively avoid working on anything and everything that matters, and instead focus on minute details and other bits that are totally irrelevant. We've all done it, mostly innoccuously ... whether it's clearing up the spare room or procrastinating endlessly when studying. He was doing it with something vastly more complicated, costly and involving far more trust. JPop clearly wasn't cut out to be a project manager and seemingly lacks any kind of self awareness or self knowledge.
He doesn't seem like a bad guy, just a total failure in the endeavour he shaped, and one that he never should have been allowed to go beyond that of a creative director in. This isn't just his failure though. It was the buyers, the people he employed and the community at large. Hindsight is 20:20, but there were alarm bells, lights flashing and klaxons whirring pretty much from the beginning.
Whilst people's money may be mostly or entirely lost, looking over everything, I think there is a reasonable chance of something coming out of this. If John's hands can be prised off the assets, there should be a reasonable chance of one of the companies acquiring the art and music assets For Magic Girl at the very least. All 3 themes were very strong and the IPs very well liked. Certainly I imagine ZombieYeti would like to get paid for all his work ...

I believe he pretty much stated that he never intended to build the games, and to me that gives off a fraud vibe.
It does not matter that he appears to have intended to sell off the game designs so that some other entity would do the actual building of the games for the customers. If that was his end game then the customers had the right to know and should have been informed ahead of the ordering process so they would have a better understanding of their risk.

3 months later
#18576 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

The difference between my opinions and StevenP (besides mine being correct) were he was trying to save John and I was just calling the situation as I saw it.

Also, StevenP, as his patent attorney, still works for JPlop and you quit that sh*t a long time ago.

#18578 3 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Unless I read wrong John and his wife are both listed as Vice Presidents in Zidware. Who is President and are there any other officers?

The President is probably JPlop's other personality.

#18582 3 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

StevenP = John douchebag wife ?

No.

<link to personal info removed. Posting personal information is not allowed on Pinside.>

#18591 3 years ago

If somebody is still working for JPop while knowing what JPop has done to the pinball community, does that make that somebody a good guy???

#18593 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

patents cost like 20k each. I highly doubt he fronted the money on any of those.
Any pics of magic girl in action at shows yet? Nope? another 1000 posts till then I guess.

The legal costs are the big expense for Patents, not the applications which have fairly inexpensive fees for small entities.
How is JPop paying his Intellectual Property lawyer to keep on representing him? Regardless of the method of payment (be it money or pinball stuff) it is likely funded by the pre-order people who seem to have lost all that they put into Zidware.

#18595 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Example 3: Mechanical tool
> Patent search with attorney opinion = $1,250
> Provisional patent application prepared and filed = $2,000
> Filing fee to the USPTO = $130 (small entity)
> Nonprovisional patent application based off provisional filing = $7,500
> Filing fee to the USPTO for nonprovisional patent application = $800 (small entity)
> Professional illustrations for nonprovisional patent application = $400
====================================================
=TOTAL COST through filing nonprovisional patent application = $12,080 (if provisional patent application is skipped the cost would be $130 less)

Yes, most of those costs go to the lawyer. The patent office gets very little ($800 filing fee small entity, actually less than that with electronic filing).

3 months later
#18846 3 years ago
Quoted from Lowrent:

Another money-stealing fiasco...
Take a look at this cringe-inducing video : » YouTube video

That is some bad acting there.

3 months later
#19147 3 years ago

Maybe a front for some illegal activities? It does not sound like they are doing anything if there is no activity there.

#19256 3 years ago

There is no "finish" in JPop, only the term pop which was the ominous sound of his failure going out in a whimper rather than a bang.

3 weeks later
#19311 3 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

This is purely fictional, you guys get that, right?

Fictional in what way, that it will never be made or that this is a hoax?

#19462 3 years ago

Getting the MG games delivered does not make the RAZA and Alice in Wonderland customers whole, so MG deliveries will not do anything for the taint of being associated with JPop.

Also, what will the code be like for this MG game? We all know the code is the hardest part to get right so the game will likely play terribly without an experienced pinball coder.

#19521 3 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Art's clearly different. They appear more angled than a standard WMS cabinet, but perhaps they are modified to accept a standard piece of glass while still allowing room for the larger rear screen.

That could be it. There does not appear to be anywhere on the backbox for the display, so you would think it would still be under the glass. The adjustment of the cabinet to a lesser angle for standard glass would solve some of the problems the original steep angle had.
Wasn't there some problem with the original design where the glass would hit the shooter or something else when removing or installing the glass?

#19526 3 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

(PS anyone know where I can read more about what led to JPOOP not completing WCS? It's a fascinating subject)

Here is some of it (Steve Ritchie comments):

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/steve-ritchie-interview-from-2001-i-think

MARK: Yes, that was the beginning of the end, Star Trek, World Cup Soccer, that's when it started to slide.

STEVE: Oh, World Cup. World Cup was taken over.

MARK: It wasn't a bad pin, it's still all right, actually we still operate it.

STEVE: In the end it turned out to be pretty Ok, but in the beginning it was handled by a newbie. The game designer was a stubborn newbie, and it had to be taken over by someone else.

MARK: Did this happen very often?

STEVE: Actually it never happened before unless somebody died or got sick.

MARK: Did he abandon the project or did he just get the sack?

STEVE: Neither. He cooperated, learned and latter did Theatre of Magic and some other really good work. But when he first came in he thought he just knew everything about making pinballs and it is just not that kind of thing. You have to live it for a long time, you must have an affinity for mechanicals and you have to be able to work with other people.

MARK: Working with others is essential, unless you are a going it alone.

STEVE: No one could make a great pinball alone. The closest I've seen is Brian Eddy on Shadow, I think. I believe he drew the game and then programmed it. It was quite a feat, but he had to learn about mechanicals on that game. It was tough, but I will always admire him for doing that.

MARK: I suppose you get some people that are stubborn or arrogant.

STEVE: We actually all are, and we have egos, make no mistake. You can't just BE those things because you feel like it, though. Like every other human group endeavor, there is a pecking order and rank. Your opinion will be more valued if you have a history of respected accomplishments in an engineering environment. Each person in the game design engineering dept. must earn that respect.
I would love to say yes to every suggestion everyone has for a given game design. I love it when others contribute to our project in powerful ways. It makes the game strong. It brings the team closer, and it makes everyone feel good about what they are doing. I don't care where good ideas come from, who's offering them or the fact that it's my team. Good ideas, no matter their origination, go into my products. Bad ideas don't. We as game designers do have final say, but we can be politicked, cajoled, pushed and convinced. Before I say no to an idea, I consider every aspect carefully. I do not let myself fall into the Not Invented Here syndrome. I am not insecure about my ability to create more ideas, and so I can be objective. What I am insecure about (Always!) is having a good product. Good ideas are gratefully accepted, always.

MARK: Well that's a credit to you. There would be a lot of people out there who wouldn't accept an idea unless it came out of their head or they could somehow mutate it looking like their idea.

STEVE: In a business as small as this biz, everyone knows who's good and who isn't, who is respected and who is not. At Williams, we only had a few designers who wouldn't go all the way to glory on one front or another. We would all pressure each other to make good games. It often had more power than management's whining.

MARK: That's quite effective isn't it?

STEVE: It was a wonderful thing when it worked out that way.

MARK: Yes, you would respect your co-workers opinion more that management's because their motive ideally is the same as yours.

#19544 3 years ago
Quoted from mrbillishere:

So, Zidware customers get made whole and the Cubs win the world series, all in October 2016? Yes, then Hell would definitely have to freeze over too.

Was Marty McFly off by one year?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainthis/2015/10/16/film-back-to-the-future-predicted-cubs-2015-world-series-win/73899556/

#19642 3 years ago
Quoted from mamemaster:

...that website is a mess of cut/paste from google images. That header isn't even really Houdini- it's the Adrien Brody version "fake poster" from the docudrama....lol....nutty.

That seems like a good way to get sued by the actor, the owners of the artwork, and the company that owns the rights to that docudrama.

#19737 3 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

What a roller coaster the last few days have been, but in the end reality is reality.

Back to life back to reality.

2 weeks later
#20116 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Yeah, its true. Not so hard to believe. And trashing other people at the same time like Heighway.

Start with a K? There are two K's that seem to bash Heighway.

4 months later
#22145 2 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Anticipating #3 where we learn if the switch is wired!
Really appreciate him doing this. I feel guilty now about the amount of TBL videos I've taken.

It looked like it might only be a one-way gate.

#22398 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Don't understand why everyone is so shocked about this game's resale value.
This is the same hobby where a repro BBB goes for 20k and there's 175 (ish) of them. Do the original 10 ever change hands?
Also the same hobby where 80 people couldn't give Stern 15k fast enough for BM66SLE.
Let's face it, pre-orders are a lottery - and the MG owners just won.

I think it is because most of us buy pinball to play it rather than mainly look at it. Also, this game makes me a little more sick each time I see details of the delivered game and how it is lacking mechs and code. I personally would not want the daily reminder of this heartache staring me in the face every time I walk up to my games.

#22590 2 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Ahhhhh it's a profit deal!
» YouTube video

Is this one Fattrain's game?

1 week later
#23131 2 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I appreciate iceman's passion, but I think his anger is misguided. The fault does not lie with the MG owners who are selling their games. It lies with the buyers. They are the fools that are paying up for this half baked piece of s**t.

Somebody else said it before...hot potatoes. I will not feel sorry for the suckers that end up with the so called games and have paid more than the market will bare.

1 week later
#23241 2 years ago

edited, post in wrong thread

4 weeks later
#23331 2 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

There's about a dozen habitual line steppers on Pinside that aren't and will never be subjected to the constant scrutiny that K was. Of course, those line steppers are fully vetted members of the PBC.
You want to do some fun research? Do a search on pinside for any of George Carlin's dirty words. see which posters get moderated, and which ones don't. Enlightening!

I think it is more about how the words are used rather than the words in general.

Saying "I don't give a f@#$" is different from saying "f@#$ you".

2 weeks later
#23474 2 years ago

JPop just recently received a Notice of Allowance for this patent claim in application 13/709,056 (available in USPTO Public Pair) http://portal.uspto.gov/pair/PublicPair

How long before he is suing JJP for the Dialed In "Quantum Theater" and Stern for their Ecto-goggles?

jpopallowed claim (resized).JPG

#23475 2 years ago

The date of the patent application would even beat the WOZ Crystal Ball unveiling but I doubt that would be considered a physical interaction between the ball and the display.

#23477 2 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

What a crock! AFM did it better with its virtual screen.
This patenting of simple ideas stifles innovation. Intermittent windshield wipers, anyone?

I think you mean RFM. Anyway, Pinball2000 was not a combination of a "video display provided within the cabinet" and "an inclined playfield provided within the cabinet" as required by the patent pending claim.

Intermittent windshield wipers was genius and made driving much safer. If only the major auto makers had just accepted that they owed the poor guy that invented that technology like honorable people should rather than act as thieves and try to steamroll the guy with lawyers.

#23480 2 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I fixed that immediately, before you even finished your post! And no shit it wasn't a video display in the playfield (it was elsewhere in the head part of the cabinet), I said it was better, as in cooler!
And insinuating I am not honorable for simply suggesting an example of an idea that ought to be too simple to patent is a low blow. The guy didn't invent the concept of intermittence. Just as Jpop didn't invent the concept of a screen reacting to a ball. So what if it happens near the screen?

Sorry. I did not mean to sound like you were not honorable. It was the auto manufacturers that were not honorable. There is a good movie about the man's struggles to get his intermittent wiper invention patented. The manufacturers were essentially stealing his ideas and bullying him because he was a small entity and they thought they could get away with it.

The patent system was set up by Thomas Jefferson and a few others to promote invention, not to suppress it. Essentially, if someone comes up with a solution to a problem where the parts are well-known but the specific arrangement to perform a beneficial function/utility is not obvious then a patent is typically awarded to the patent applicant.
I am not saying one way or the other whether John's allowed patent is valid or not. I was just trying to raise the awareness so people would not be surprised if JPop tries to finance his RAZA and Alice games from the damages/royalties he may obtain by going after JJP, Stern and possibly Multimorphic (if their screen reacts to the ball directly which I have no knowledge on P3).

If JPop did that, that would likely make him an even bigger villain in the pinball community by hurting the manufacturers that have actually been building working games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Kearns

#23483 2 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

As one of his victims, who got nothing from my money, not even a shirt or piece of ZombieYeti art signed by John, I wish he'd just go bankrupt already and end this. Him trying to "save" himself by enforcing a patent on existing pinballs would be ridiculous and he would deserve whatever additional scorn he earned as a patent troll.
That's not how I want my machine financed.

My wish exactly. I wish John would just accept his former pinball glory is gone permanently and go away from the hobby forever.

Perhaps he could get into board game design or something else I don't give a crap about.

#23485 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

Doesn't an original idea become yours upon the first sale of the idea. I believe it does then getting a patent through the government helps seal the deal?

Sales have nothing to do with obtaining a patent. However, previous sales can be used to reject a patent application.

#23490 2 years ago
Quoted from KerryImming:

P3/Multimorphic was demonstrating this technology well before any Zidware patent was filed. I suppose technically the P3 playfield isn't "proximal" since it literally IS the playfield.

I seem to recall seeing a video where the screen reacted to the location of the ball as the ball passes. Is that something that may be in a video from 2011 or earlier?

#23493 2 years ago
Quoted from KerryImming:

March 2012 at Texas Pinball Festival, written up by PinballNews.com.

JPop's filing date was Dec. 2011 so March 2012 is not likely good enough.

#23498 2 years ago
Quoted from KerryImming:

I could be using the wrong date from that web page, but I see "Filing or 371 (c) Date: 12-09-2012"
Here's the link to the P3 news article: http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/p3/

JPop's provisional application was in Dec. 2011.

The 1996 Capcom Flipper Football above is interesting.

#23499 2 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

If a tech has been built before without patent is a later patent on it from another company still valid?

If it was public more than a year before the date of the application then the application should be be rejected.

11 months later
#23947 1 year ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

60 posts shy of 24K!
Can we say this one is now transferred to the Deeproot thread?

24K by today.

#24024 1 year ago

One asset he has, for whatever it is worth, is the patent for the ball interacting with the display. That was likely designed during the period of spending Zidware customer money I would guess.

1 week later
#24140 1 year ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Maybe I am being harsh saying Dialed In was a failure. So let's just say it hasn't met sales expectations.

Fair enough. I am sure the price and non-licensed theme has had a lot to do with the unmet expectations in sales. The game plays great and even seems to catch the interest of non-pinball people unlike most other pinball machines.

3 months later
#24249 1 year ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

I'd be there wearing it proud.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Put a piece of tape on the speech bubble with a witty put-down of JPop.

#24251 1 year ago

"No pinball for you"

"Screwed by JPop"

"All I got was this crappy t-shirt"

"Thief"

"Failure"

"Dilettante"

"Zidware, Pinball for Crooks"

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 229.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 129.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dcfan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside