(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,316 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 165 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,696 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sucks (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20

Post #20523 Link to legal documents with allegations & responses Posted by DennisK (3 years ago)

Post #20526 Third amended complain document Posted by c508 (3 years ago)

Post #20532 Summary of complaints & responses in legal documents Posted by DennisK (3 years ago)

Post #20626 MG is now ready! Posted by TecumsehPlissken (3 years ago)

Post #20631 Scott Goldberg mail on MG completion Posted by TecumsehPlissken (3 years ago)

Post #21819 Information on webpage dedicated to Magic Girl Code Features. Posted by applejuice (3 years ago)

Post #22024 moderation notice Posted by Xerico (3 years ago)

Post #22304 Photos of every page of the Magic Girl manual. Posted by vidgameseller (3 years ago)

Post #22584 Lion Saw feature information. Posted by applejuice (3 years ago)

Post #22710 Very detailed review from a game owner Posted by ShinyNick (3 years ago)

Post #22817 Details on the origin of the driver board Posted by Borygard (3 years ago)

Post #22957 Comparison photos between a MG 'prototype' and another shipped MG Posted by spfxted (3 years ago)

Post #23045 Pinball News first look review. Posted by Pinballs (3 years ago)

Post #23392 Ebay Auction for NIB Magic Girl #007 Posted by fattrain (2 years ago)

Post #23611 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by dgarrett (2 years ago)

Post #23615 Interview with Linda Deal (artist), speaking about CV and TOM Posted by toyotaboy (2 years ago)

Post #23754 The Deeproot link. Posted by pin2d (2 years ago)

Post #23946 Result of civil suit against JPOP Posted by rommy (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider c508.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18954 3 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

Guys cut Jpop some slack. He's been busy filming the last two years

Just saw Independence Day Resurgence myself and had the same thought... Jpop and Brent Spiner/Lt. Commander Data separated at birth... Who knew?

Movie was certainly entertaining enough to watch once but not exactly a cinematic masterpiece. Fun popcorn flick though.

2 months later
#19872 3 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Haha... Now after everything they went through you want someone's spot...

I'm pretty sure o-din's post was

3 weeks later
#20232 3 years ago

Boy I wonder who dotEXE could be (post 20216)?

#20256 3 years ago

I finally heard back from the court clerk in Cook County, IL.

The complaint, JPOP's answer, and JPOP's motion to dismiss (which may be based on the whole "American Pinball is building them" premise) run a total of 496 pages.

The cost for a copy of all three of those documents is $130.50.

I'm curious about the details, but not that curious.

1 week later
#20326 3 years ago

Ok, I'm curious to see which of the four possibilities this document represents.

I'm betting "amend" or "amend portion thereof"...

https://w3.courtlink.lexisnexis.com/cookcounty/FindDock.asp?NCase=&SearchType=2&Database=2&case_no=&Year=&div=&caseno=&PLtype=2&sname=popadiuk&CDate=

Though I am not willing to drop the cash for the docs I referenced in post #20256, I will get this one! I will post info when available (may take a day or two for the court to send it).

Jpop Capture (resized).JPG

#20329 3 years ago

The ones I mentioned in #20256 (complaint, answer, motion to dismiss) would be the ones to get.

#20339 3 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

This guy is truly insane. He designs games to the point he can slap someone's cool artwork on the cabinet and backbox and them moves on to the next mock-up without even coming close to finishing a single game.
I never cease to be amazed...

IMG_1772 (resized).PNG

2 weeks later
#20372 3 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

So who wants to bet that this is still the exact state of the magic girls today.

They probably have a lot more dust on them by now!

#20373 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

I would vote for Ben being the only one to ever comment on Jpop as he knew him, worked with him, left him, then did exactly what John never did - build a pinball machine from scratch. Oh and his posts are pretty comical at times to ! I bow down to you Mr. Heck...

All true. Plus Ben's restraint has been admirable... note that his best comments on the state of Houdini did not come out until after things publicly blew up in American Pinball's face. Regardless, it's pretty clear he could have called it from the get go, but first gave them a chance and the benefit of the doubt.

1 month later
#20477 3 years ago

My favorite part was "you must communicate with one of our service representatives" since it implies he actually has "paid employees."

#20482 3 years ago

New filings in the JPOP suit.

I am going to see how much it would cost to get JPOP's "answer to the complaint." All 3 versions of the "answer" (JPOP's, MPOP's, and ZidWare's) should be essentially the same since they are all facing the same allegations.

You'd think the "answer" would outline his & AP's plan to make MG customer's whole. Even though that plan is probably just a pipe dream, it would be interesting to see what he had to say.

insert pop (resized).JPG

#20486 3 years ago

Will do. Going to take a bit... the office of the Clerk of the Circuit Court of Cook County is no PACER. They want requests via mail or fax (and even then you usually have to get someone on the phone after the record search request form has arrived).

#20490 3 years ago

Yes, you can see the docket sheet for this case via LexisNexis and Bloomberg Law.

The problem is the docket sheet is only a "Table of Contents" for the case. The underlying documents (referenced on the docket sheet) are not online. So, someone at the clerk's office has to scan and mail them which takes a while and is not free.

All federal courts are required to use PACER, but state and county courts are a mixed bag of paper only, some paper/some online, or (as in the case of Cook Co.) all online.

#20500 3 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

As far as JPOP's Answer goes, you never know what's in it until you read it, but they tend to be a lot less informative than you might imagine. Rather than providing a narrative addressing the allegations in the complaint, they'll often just say "Paragraph 1 denied, Paragraph 2 denied" etc. Though there could be more interesting detail if he's raising affirmative defenses or counter-claims.

True. My thought was that JPOP's spin on what is going on with MG & AP (not the "reality of what is actually going on" but the way that JPOP presented his deal with AP to his attorney) would be illuminating (though mainly as an indication of how delusional JPOP is).

But if, "Judge, this lawsuit is BS, I am building the games as you read this" is not his affirmative defense it could just be a sparse "Paragraph 1 denied, Paragraph 2 denied" etc.

At this point, I don't even know how many pages it is and won't until sometime next week, but length is a good predictor of how much relevant info it contains.

#20517 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I thought there were a lot of people here that are in on the lawsuit?

If so, please share the answer.

They have almost certainly been advised not to comment on ongoing litigation.

And their attorney certainly isn't going to provide any of the documents to someone other than his clients, the court, and JPOP's attorney.

Note that all the stuff WOLFMARSH and I have posted re: Kulek is coming direct from PACER and not KeithInMi (who is behaving professionally and responsibly by not supplying docs to Pinside).

#20518 3 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Had he had an ounce of humility he could have been forthright with everyone years ago, given everyone a more realistic progress report as it had been going on instead of lying about it, apologized, claimed he tried his best but his best wasn't good enough, and just end this thing.

You forgot "said he was sorry he spent most of the $$$ on frivolous crap like improving the (already unnecessary) shop with a 'magic door to nowhere,' Starbucks, and a Range Rover."

#20520 3 years ago

Cool. I wasn't going to request it until Monday anyway. After you post it and I take a look I'll reconsider getting the complaint. Just depends on how much info is in the answer. Thanks!

#20526 3 years ago

Ok, here is the THIRD AMENDED COMPLAINT (most recent version of the original complaint in the JPOP suit, dated Sept. 22, 2015).

It is 44 pages, but a lot of it is repetitive since it lists the same allegations over and over (on behalf of different plaintiffs).

So, first we get the details of Plaintiff Gilbody's basis for his suit against JPOP. Then pages 3-4 are largely the same, but for a different plaintiff (Zilch) and amount of $$$ ($6,895).

Then it goes on and on in a similar vein listing the other 20 plaintiffs' claims (for varying amounts of $$$).

I deleted pages 5-39 due to their repetitive nature. Pages 40-41 contain additional info from COUNT LXVII. Page 42 is the "certificate of service" and pages 43-44 are "Exhibit 1."

Exhibits 2-19 (referenced in support of various plaintiffs' suits) are likely correspondence between plaintiffs and JPOP, bills, receipts, sale contracts, screen grabs of Zidware's website and blog, etc. advertising MG, RAZA, AIW and assuring plaintiffs that all is well and that the games are on the way.

I did not get those exhibits, because I did not want to pay for them.

If anyone wants the full 44 page THIRD AMENDED COMPLAINT, please PM me with your email address and I will send it along.

Jpop3Full page photo.pdf

#20527 3 years ago

Re: amount of $$$ at issue in the suit?

I added up all the plaintiffs' deposit amounts. The lowest deposit amount is $2,750. The highest is $22,745. Most were $6,500 or more. The grand total (unless my math is bad) is $223,215.

However, plaintiffs are all seeking "an amount to be proven at trial and for such other relief that this court deems just" which means JPOP may be on the hook for punitive damages as well.

#20537 3 years ago

Nice summary!

1 week later
#20583 3 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I've heard the rumors, but to me it seemed a smoke screen against the lawsuit. The moment he doesn't show up with a screwdriver every day and pretends they can be delivered is the day it is officially over.

How eager is he going to be to show up with that screwdriver everyday if he is assembling each machine all by himself?

I think the build quality and amount of working features per machine is going to decrease with every pin after the 3rd or 4th one assembled once the burnout and monotony kick in.

Not to mention the desperate pleas and uncomprehending cries of "Work, goddamn you... WORK!!!" directed at the boxes of lights!

#20585 3 years ago

Finally got Defendant JPOP's interrogatories for the Plaintiffs (started on this last week but the Cook County clerks took a while to process the request). Was hoping for a more specific line of questioning from JPOP (especially when a bunch of what he is requesting was already attached to the Plaintiffs' complaints).

Not sure if this is him gearing up to fight, or just delaying things while he "assembles" MGs and "delivers" them to customers?

Anyway, here's the filing.

JPop interrogs.pdf

#20596 3 years ago

concretehardt call Zane and find out if Illinois court rules allow you to video-conference or phone in for your deposition. Then you can save $$$ for your trip to be a witness if it goes to trial.

If you do fly, ALASKA is the way to go since Chicago is their eastern-most hub and they usually have good deals for that route (I fly to PDX from O'Hare more often than to SEA due to price difference, having friends in both places, and liking the drive between the two cities).

Anyway, the notices (at least according to the docket) went out two weeks ago (Jan. 17) and would have been certified mail so it would be weird for you not to get it (unless all of them went to the Plaintiff's attorney instead).

Mailings out (resized).JPG

#20601 3 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Spirit flys super cheap between pdx and O'Hara.
Last time I booked was about $140 RT.
Airline sucks but it's cheap

That's crazy good... half of what I would consider a "good" round trip price ($275-350)!

1 week later
#20666 3 years ago

Really eager to see deadflip or Buffalo Pinball live stream this... I think it will be brutal and I am not talking about the game play.

#20670 3 years ago

Even if MG plays well, I don't think it's going to be the successful "Hail Mary" JPOP needs to stop the lawsuit as some of the plaintiffs' claims are for AIW and BHZA/RAZA as well.

And if the MG owners think MG is a clunker they will still be able to claim that it is not what they were promised (given all the promotional materials hyping JPOPs previous games and how this one will be even better) and continue their suit.

Maybe there will even be a new basis for claims under the Uniform Commercial Code on "implied warranty for fitness for a particular purpose" since people are buying it to play pinball (if it doesn't work (or just works badly)).

Certainly going to be interesting however it plays out!

#20675 3 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

I'm sure this helps JPOP's defense by claiming that "now that the 1st game is finished, I can start to focus more on RAZA and AIW".

That is definitely the plan.

#20812 3 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

"I am fortunate that I will be part of an unboxing as I have been with other rare titles.

This last line cracks me up... not laughing at you BK, but just the mental image I formed of the "unboxing" as if it were a religious ritual akin to a papal audience or something.

Be cool if you could all wear robes and vestaments and stand in a circle around the box chanting with dramatic lighting and a high priest figure invoking various gods, spirits and deities...

Hephaestus, smith and craftsman of the gods, Elpis, spirit of hope and expectation... we pray to you that this is a worthy offering... that Magic Girl represents JPOP's return to a place of honor and respect among the pinball community...

May this pinball machine exceed all expectations... may it free JPOP from his devotion to Ate ("spirit of delusion, infatuation, blind folly, recklessness, and ruin"), Epimetheus ("Titan of afterthought and father of excuses"), Apate ("spirit of deceit, guile, and fraud and deception) and Mania ("spirits of madness, insanity, and frenzy")...

May all who play this machine have their wounds salved, may their IFPA rankings rise, may they match after their last ball has drained.

And if not... like at sd_tom says... burn it (at the stake)!

#20814 3 years ago

Me too (though I would never do so myself). He would probably stroke out right there and then.

#20849 3 years ago

New items on the JPOP docket...

#20928 3 years ago

Any mention of the promised new "real quickstep solenoid" technology?

I believe this to be a refinement of the classic "Green Apple Quickstep" technology which JPOP has a history of liberally applying to all his projects (as well as anyone involved with them).

#21255 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Jpop ... wanted "to ... innovate in ways never seen before".

Well... he certainly met that goal... knocked it out of the park even! Just not the way people expected or hoped.

#21855 3 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

There are a few hundred of us so called Pinball experts here. Almost all of us still don't know what half that crap on the Pf really does.

I don't think JPOP does either.

#22471 3 years ago
Quoted from stpcore:

Considering the potential selling price for Magic Girl would you rather have a Medieval Madness, Twilight Zone, Monster Bash, and Attack From Mars (pinside average of 30K) or a Magic Girl? I know what I would choose.

Aside from the windfall that reselling a MG would bring, I'd rather have any one of those games in my lineup!

#22637 3 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

Sinead O'Connor-esque. Then again, I think Sinead is super sexy anyway.

Younger pre-multiple mental breakdowns Sinead was at any rate!

1 week later
#23119 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

I am not so sure that he conned AP very much.

AP did seem to think that the Houdini "box of lights" they showed off was playable and just needed a little fine tuning to go into production. Plus they didn't see a problem with all the "Zidware" markings (until after the fact). Those things seems like a pretty big con to me.

Oops CON!

#23168 3 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Who are they conning? They haven't taken a cent in preorder funds.

As the French say, "au CONtraire mon ami"!

Your statements are based on a misCONception. I was not trying to be COntroversial. I said (following up on pinballnewb) that JPOP CONned American Pinball, not that AP CONned anyone.

Please CONsider withdrawing your downvote as I am not CONtradicting your CONtention that AP is not CONning anyone...

Man, this CONstant capitalizing is getting really inCONvenient (not to mention CONceited).

Anyway, I believe we are in CONcord on this issue, but I've got bigger CONcerns for now, so this CONcludes my reply.

1 month later
#23276 2 years ago

From the article:

"American Pinball has moved forward with its Houdini machine without Popadiuk’s involvement. It hasn’t written off working with the designer to deliver his other games, but Popadiuk first has work to do. “They have told me that once I get a pre-production Retro Zombie done, they’ll decide if they want to manufacture it,” he says."

#23277 2 years ago

Anyone else who read the article think the subtitle should be "The Chris Kooluris Story" ?

I'm amazed at the mileage he has gotten out of his Magic Girl... probably way more than the Hellcat!

xTheBlackKnightx better look out. Now we have a "real" pinball historian in the house (or Pop Sci's house at least)

#23295 2 years ago

Oh for [purpose of this Easter Holiday's] sake... the very first two words in the first line of the article are "Chris Kooluris."

I'm actually glad the paywall means I can't see the whole thing!

IMG_2303 (resized).PNG

#23306 2 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

Here's the full WSJ article without the paywall. ... http://archive.is/WDc5t

Note he following quote: "The value of rare machines like 1996’s Bing Bang Bar [sic] soared into the tens of thousands of dollars."

That one must be even rarer than the slightly more widely released Big Bang Bar.

2 weeks later
#23457 2 years ago

Latest update from JPOP docket...

May JPOP update (resized).JPG

1 month later
#23557 2 years ago

Docket update covering period from June 12 - 20th.

June JPop Update (resized).JPG

#23558 2 years ago

This is the one I am really curious about...

Exclude (resized).JPG

5 months later
#23759 2 years ago

Looking forward to seeing how well these quotes age!

"I’ve built businesses and competed in multiple industries much more crowded and cutthroat than the pinball industry. That’s what makes doing pinball so easy for us."

AND

"It is hard to believe that we (who arguably have more capitalization then all the other pinball participants combined and having accomplished the impossible in other industries) would not be able to find a way to do something as easy as pinball."

I'll buy a DeepRoot branded T-shirt with the logo "Pinball is Easy" as soon as they are available!

4 months later
#23981 1 year ago
Quoted from rommy:

We were in court in Cook County yesterday. Me and the rest of the claimants were there to have an actual trial FINALLY. There were 6 of us representing the entire class. Jpop was there as well.

tldr - we won, judgement against jpop.

Damn, I wish you guys had publicized that it was going down... I would gladly have taken a day off work and made the trip to provide moral support, watch the show, and buy all of the plaintiffs a beer afterwards!

Will have to look at the docket again now that the order, etc. will be filed soon.

Congratulations to all of you for seeing this through.

Ad Astra per Aspera!

#23985 1 year ago

pinballs seems like one could say the plaintiffs dug "deep" and got to the "root" of the matter!

Now why does that seem like a portent of things to come?

#23989 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

By going dutch we avoided highway robbery from this predator

Ok, that's better than mine...

#24050 1 year ago
Quoted from unigroove:

is there a link to the official ruling of the court?

Cook County does not post the court files online, just the docket info (like a chronological table of contents for the case).

All the Kulek stuff is easy to get because Federal Courts all use PACER (Public Access to Court Electronic Records).

Once the JPop docket updates, I will be getting some of the newer files direct from the court and will post in this thread (unless someone beats me to it).

4 weeks later
#24152 1 year ago

JPOP filing an appeal...

Shocker!

7A86BB52-E1F5-4086-955C-86A6383C27D3 (resized).png
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider c508.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside