(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,316 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 166 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,696 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sucks (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 487.
#401 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

How is it not? Is he going to pop a playfield in his machine and let word of mouth advertise it. If he didn't show it at his scheduled time, he has no intention on showing anything at the show, especially if he took the backglass back off 5 seconds after putting it up when everyone starting pulling phones out.
I'm sure he has "something" designed and built, he posts some details on facebook.. If he chooses not to show it, it is what is is. I just don't know why you wouldn't want to show it off if you have something done.

Like I said, I've seen what he has done. I'm surprised he's not showing off MG. I guess he feels he has his buyers lined up and doesn't care. Who knows

#402 5 years ago

Ice - are you saying mg is done?

#403 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

I'm disappointed he didn't bring it. And if he did bring it, I'm disappointed he hasn't shown it. I'm disappointed there has been zero communication on the owners blog in the last 5 weeks. I'm disappointed that when I try to post on the blog I get an error saying that comments are not allowed from me. I'm disappointed at the disproportionate amount of time spent on other projects while MG waits. I'm disappointed at the lack of details given to owners, specifically playfield photos, playfield art, toys, programming info and LCD pictures and video.

He's been on the Raza blog with a lot lately. Seems to rotate. Not disappointed with what you have seen though, right? I'm waiting for MG too

#404 5 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

Ice - are you saying mg is done?

Based on my conversation with John I expect it to be done or very close to production time. I'm sure perfection is getting in the way of putting a bow tie on it

#405 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

He's been on the Raza blog with a lot lately. Seems to rotate. Not disappointed with what you have seen though, right? I'm waiting for MG too

Yes, I will agree with you there. My disappointments are purely related to business decisions, delays and communication failures. The game itself (that I have seen) is phenomenal, without question.

#406 5 years ago

So if you could only buy into one Zidware game being released in the "relative near future" which one would you choose and why? Magic Girl or Retro Atomic Zombie Adventureland??

I would go Magic Girl as of now. I just take more to a mystical theme than a zombie theme. They will probably both be incredible I'm sure.

#407 5 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

So if you could only buy into one Zidware game being released in the "relative near future" which one would you choose and why? Magic Girl or Retro Atomic Zombie Adventureland??
I would go Magic Girl as of now. I just take more to a mystical theme than a zombie theme. They will probably both be incredible I'm sure.

I am a buyer of both, but if hypothetically both were going to be released in 30 days which would I buy?

RAZA.

#408 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

Yes, I will agree with you there. My disappointments are purely related to business decisions, delays and communication failures. The game itself (that I have seen) is phenomenal, without question.

Have you ever tried calling him?

#409 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'm sure perfection is getting in the way of putting a bow tie on it

Have you ever considered that it might be "obsessive compulsive disorder".... From Wikipedia:

"Its sufferers commonly share personality traits such as high attention to detail, avoidance of risk, careful planning, exaggerated sense of responsibility and a tendency to take time in making decisions."

I really admire all of your patience and faith and I really hope you all get your machines, I really do but this build is getting way out of hand.

QSS

#410 5 years ago

Keep the faith!!

#411 5 years ago
Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

Have you ever considered that it might be "obsessive compulsive disorder".... From Wikipedia:
"Its sufferers commonly share personality traits such as high attention to detail, avoidance of risk, careful planning, exaggerated sense of responsibility and a tendency to take time in making decisions."
I really admire all of your patience and faith and I really hope you all get your machines, I really do but this build is getting way out of hand.
QSS

I'm sure John would acknowledge OCD. He really is amazing, all these great designers and coders are. I think you'll see future pins roll a lot more smoothly as he gets his foundation in place.

But yeah, it's excessive OCD

#412 5 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Have you ever tried calling him?

I have, I even went to visit once but nothing changed. I'm still in on the games and I'll stay in until the end but I passed on Alice due to my experience with these two games.

#413 5 years ago
Quoted from PBINTHESOUTH:

Yes, dig the blue alien chick much more than the obvious Attack from Mars similarities..
Nice to have hand drawn art, but am I the only one that doesn't think the BG is way too pink, very busy and actually ugly? (I can't stand the artwork on CV BTW.. mainly because of the similar intense color scheme)...

Quoted from toyotaboy:

so ben heck's likeness is replaced by Attack from Mars? fitting since he owns one, but I liked it before (even if he's not involved).

"Mars Attacks" is the title you're all really thinking about, a brand of collectable cards which eventually became a Tim Burton movie. The pin "Attack from" is not related.

#414 5 years ago

I love this side art

28.jpg
#415 5 years ago

Hinges look unique also. I like the side art I think it fits the theme.

#416 5 years ago

The porthole on the cabinet will be such a great feature when sandwiched between two games. Don't know which anology works better-getting lost in the weeds or can't see the forest through the trees?

#417 5 years ago

After seeing The Hobbit right now, I'm still way more excited for these JPop games.

#418 5 years ago

And why is that?

#419 5 years ago

It's just another WOZ. Licensed theme I don't really care about. I'm still mixed on that LCD screen that is way too big. I never loved any of the games the main designer has made.

#420 5 years ago

Fair enough. Jpop is my favorite designer and so I was bummed about what he brought to expo. I'd pay in full for a production jpop game sight unseen if he actually had something to sell. I'm sure what he has will blow minds but will it ever happen?

#421 5 years ago

The porthole in the cabinet side is typically used in early prototypes to give access to the underside of the playfield while it is down.

#422 5 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

The porthole in the cabinet side is typically used in early prototypes to give access to the underside of the playfield while it is down.

That's not what this porthole is for.

#423 5 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Built in Fleshlight? I don't know, I'm out of ideas...

#424 5 years ago

The porthole is genius. First you get a midget and then....

#425 5 years ago

I'm guessing it's something down in there that lights up? Maybe shakes or moves? Not sure how the player is going to see it. Also, what if the game is in a tight lineup and no one can see it?

#426 5 years ago

At key points of the game the porthole opens and produces an NDA which must be signed before gameplay continues

#427 5 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Also, what if the game is in a tight lineup and no one can see it?

Considering the cost of this pin, it will probably be the only one in the lineup.

#428 5 years ago

What John's doing with the porthole looks pretty awesome but really could be viewed as an after thought. TBH I'd rather see the game finished first and then move on to the little bells and whistles like that if there's time. Or knock a few hundred bones off the price tag for those who don't want it.

#429 5 years ago

People should be realistic here. There certainly must be some major malfunction in the design/production of the prototype(s). This exhibit is a joke. He should have just showed up with a couple of story boards, a few key promises and an open hand for games 6, 7 and 8.

A fool and his money...

#430 5 years ago

"Sad sack"

Jpop messed up opportunity but he prob doesn't care, buyers are and will line up

Disclaimer "if it ever gets done"

Since he talked about the porthole it's pretty obvious there is going to be a cool atomic glowing reactor in there. So you position your pin properly!

#431 5 years ago

This pic was posted by John on Facebook a few days ago for Magic Girl. A certain sculptor I know may have had a hand in prototyping this..........

10250125_845348428843032_9113231792162837738_n.jpg
#432 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

A certain sculptor I know may have had a hand in prototyping this.....

Looks evil, I like it.

#434 5 years ago

I promise you he has more than that but I guess he isn't ready to show it yet

Yes, much more, it's worth the wait.

#435 5 years ago

With the 9k smaug edition.. Maybe we've discovered some new Moore's law of pinball. If you attempt to raise the bar in pinball prices, you are destined not to finish anything until everyone else catches up.

So, when the next manufactuter reaches 10k, that's when JPOP stuff will be ready. So expect 1.5-2 years

#436 5 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

I have FAITH + 1

I wish faith had nothing to do with it. Would be much better with deadlines met and products delivered.

#437 5 years ago

I was hoping that guy who is doing the epic blog would post a video of it but so far I haven't seen one up there yet

#438 5 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

I was hoping that guy who is doing the epic blog would post a video of it but so far I haven't seen one up there yet

He didn't start the streaming until after JPop was done...there will not be video from him

#439 5 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

He didn't start the streaming until after JPop was done...there will not be video from him

well that's a bummer but thanks for the heads up

#440 5 years ago

Remember, John was bumped off WCS because he couldn't get his shit together. Now he has no support staff to step in and set him right.

#441 5 years ago

so the port hole thing is still secret for those who bought into the game(s)? He didn't say anything publicly about them yet?

#442 5 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Remember, John was bumped off WCS because he couldn't get his shit together. Now he has no support staff to step in and set him right.

Is this true? I knew that Steve Ritchie had mentioned in the past that he worked on WCS 94 because the designer was in over his head(not a direct quote lol).

#443 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

so the port hole thing is still secret for those who bought into the game(s)? He didn't say anything publicly about them yet?

See my post above. That's what it is

#444 5 years ago

the angle of those cabs is crazy. do not like the shape of the cab. i wonder if its so steep to house some hugeass toy in the back? anyway.. hmm

#445 5 years ago
Quoted from BloodyCactus:

the angle of those cabs is crazy. do not like the shape of the cab. i wonder if its so steep to house some hugeass toy in the back? anyway.. hmm

Well the back is going to house the LCD screen which isn't going on the translite, so that might be the reason for a taller cabinet on the back than normal.

#446 5 years ago

it's for the LCD which require more height in the back wall, plus adds extra room for more height for more levels or higher ramps.

#447 5 years ago

Worst pr move showing up to expo with all these new company's showing the big laboswki, hobbit, p3, twd... All these guys taking preorder money all weekend... Jpop with nothing to show lost money not showing anything...I'm sure it will be amaze balls when done.. When n n n n n

#448 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

All these guys taking preorder money all weekend... Jpop with nothing to show lost money not showing anything...n

What are you talking about. Jpop already has all the preorders he needs. He didn't loose any money cause he's got it all on games #1, #2, #3. Where is the incentive to produce when you have all the cash in your pocket?

QSS

#449 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I wish faith had nothing to do with it. Would be much better with deadlines met and products delivered.

Deadlines are for companies that have:
-big overhead
-time limits on licenses
-a primary goal of profit.
JPOP is making custom pinball machines,
therefor the "deadline" is dictated by to me more so by:
the flow of creativity
how long it takes to make playfields (couldn't just have a pre-existing maker do them)
making cabinets (new style)
coding from scratch?
building a team from scratch?
basically developing it all from scratch.

My only critique would be more updates and to sell merch more when possible.

#450 5 years ago

The playfields won't be mega steep in them...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 487.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside