(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,316 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 165 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,696 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sucks (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 88 of 487.
#4351 4 years ago
Quoted from fumbleflippers:

I don't know anything other than Jpop still isn't communicating with his actual customers, he's relying on third parties to relay news. He should just show what he's got to the owners and let them decide what they want to do.

Do you even listen or read? Do you have skin in the game?

#4352 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If you ask me he should just ditch the whole stupid NDA idea. It was dumb in the first place, but if he'd actually been feeding you guys awesome updates the whole time and it was a cool little secret club then it would have worked.
Instead you've got this situation where the outside world is convinced everything is screwed, and the owners don't feel much different. Total backfire. This obsession with patents and secrets is ridiculous. Pinball is a hobby where people build upon each other. Jpop wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the people before him who set the stage. Make your game, and let the public point fingers if someone tries to steal your idea.
But if you just opened everything up (hint, that's the "Labowski Effect") and got people excited everyone would be in a better spot. Not least of which is if it looks like things will eventually be done and you want a refund the chances of someone taking your spot are exponentially higher if everyone can see what's coming.
Let's face it, we've all seen the Adobe video, the NDA is a joke. Just become a pinball company and try and impress the world. Do it right and the positive feedback would be a healthy thing for everyone.

Yes but now Ice is working for free for John and he's even paying for his machines!

#4353 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

John and I agreed to talk at least WEEKLY, with updates and whatever help I can provide him from a legal, tax and financial standpoint. I'll pass on whatever info he gives me.

Are you going to update your IRS Circular 230 disclosure so that only pinball manufacturers can rely on your emails as tax advice?

#4354 4 years ago

Aurich, John knows the NDA is long gone and of no use now, he acknowledged that and laughed about how other people seeing MG stuff really thought it was great. I guess one MG guy showed everything to several people. So what.

Yeah, he knows, it works to his benefit now. More exposure the better.

We also talked about the opportunity with other guys dropping the ball and Jpop regaining the momentum again.

Rob, he knows its all his fault. If he had a communications director he'd never be in this spot. He's basically a one man show that just can't do it all, yet wants to.

I know we'll see a different approach going forward.

#4355 4 years ago

No skin in the game and I would love to see Jpop succeed, I don't see how anything has been cleared up here, you have a new set of the same promises he's been making is all.

What's important to me is that other pinsiders that do have money tied up be adequately notified of the progress or lack thereof and be given the opportunity to get out fairly if they so choose. If he's got the money for the builds then he should issue refunds from that and raise his own capital or bring in an investor to help with that if necessary.

#4356 4 years ago
Quoted from fumbleflippers:

No skin in the game and I would love to see Jpop succeed, I don't see how anything has been cleared up here, you have a new set of the same promises he's been making is all.
What's important to me is that other pinsiders that do have money tied up be adequately notified of the progress or lack thereof and be given the opportunity to get out fairly if they so choose. If he's got the money for the builds then he should issue refunds from that and raise his own capital or bring in an investor to help with that if necessary.

No its my feeling, and I'd advise John this way now for the sake of everybody that actually wants a pinball machine, that you are in it for better or for worse and we all have to row in the same boat.

You want out, get somebody else in, don't like it? Sue him and see where that gets you.

It's time to end this BS. If you are part of a Jpop pin, then join in, if not and you offer zero help, then nobody cares.

If you just want to criticize that's your problem, I just stated what is going to happen from here on out. Call John yourself if you don't like it.

#4357 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Aurich, John knows the NDA is long gone and of no use now, he acknowledged that and laughed about how other people seeing MG stuff really thought it was great. I guess one MG guy showed everything to several people. So what.
Yeah, he knows, it works to his benefit now. More exposure the better.
We also talked about the opportunity with other guys dropping the ball and Jpop regaining the momentum again.
Rob, he knows its all his fault. If he had a communications director he'd never be in this spot. He's basically a one man show that just can't do it all, yet wants to.
I know we'll see a different approach going forward.

Sounds like you're on it man. I'm gonna talk to Aaron tonight, find out what you guys talked about. I already know you sucked at keeping my name out of it though! (All good.)

#4358 4 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Are you going to update your IRS Circular 230 disclosure so that only pinball manufacturers can rely on your emails as tax advice?

No but I'm going to disclaim the disclaimer

#4359 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Sounds like you're on it man. I'm gonna talk to Aaron tonight, find out what you guys talked about. I already know you sucked at keeping my name out of it though! (All good.)

Sorry dude, I let it slip by accident and he picked up on it like a sponge. I tried to just blow right past it but I knew by his reaction I F ed up

Talking to Aaron mañana. Trying to get caught up here on House of Cards Season 3 while typing!

#4360 4 years ago

where is it in season 3 Dougie? I usually wait till all done then watch all 10 to 15 at once! No spoilers!

#4361 4 years ago

Also a big shout out for the Ice man. I know he isnt just doing this for his own benefit although he would never let you all on to believe this!

#4362 4 years ago

great grammer ... :Dyou know what i meant

#4363 4 years ago

damn backing away from key board. In Maui and on 3rd Marg

#4364 4 years ago

Ice... Thanks for making the call and sharing the details with us. I'm a ZA buyer (half paid at $4,750) and have really stood on the sidelines. I've read every line of text on every post. I'm not the suing type either. Thanks again for your efforts.

#4365 4 years ago

Ice, I deeply respect your opinion, and I really hope your positive thoughts come to fruition. I really like John's games, and I am sickened at all the anguish that has gone on because of what has transpired with lack of communication.
I hope everyone gets their games, and vendors get paid. The last few years looked very positive with all the new boutique pinball manufacturers. It is just so sad to see what has played out with predator, TBL, JJP, and John's creations.
The reality is, everyone is finding out creating a pinball machine is incredibly hard, and expensive. I can't help but think that some of these boutique pinball mfrs are not going to make it. I truly hope John is one of the lucky ones. I'm sorry to be negative, but unless there is a huge resurgence of pinball in the world, there is only so much of the pie to go around, and the effort and cost, will mean a few of these efforts will be one and gone, or none at all.

Sorry if I threw any cold water in anyones faces. I have no horse in this race, but if I did, I'd have a pretty good knot in my stomach, wondering if my money was wasted. I have to work hard for my money just like everyone else.
Good luck guys n' gals. Hope you get your games, and they are awesome !

#4366 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Sorry dude, I let it slip by accident and he picked up on it like a sponge. I tried to just blow right past it but I knew by his reaction I F ed up

Hehehe. He texted me today and I fessed up before he told me you let it slip.

#4367 4 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

where is it in season 3 Dougie? I usually wait till all done then watch all 10 to 15 at once! No spoilers!

Watching episode 1 right now Bill! Season 2 awesome Stamper is all F ed up.

#4368 4 years ago
Quoted from Shrub_Light:

If everything is financially sound why the hell is he stiffing vendors and refusing refunds?

First thing that should to be addressed by Jpop.

#4369 4 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

in Maui and on 3rd Marg

Tain't nothin' till after the 5th...

#4370 4 years ago

It sounds to me like he did his poor john shpiel and iceman is so desperate to believe that he is doing johns dirty work for him now. What I heard from all this is that john needs you all to give him your final payments or the project is sunk. If I were involved there is absolutely nothing that could get me to send the final payment without seeing games shipping out the door.

#4371 4 years ago

And one more thing. He had to fire his assistant and hasn't paid himself for months? The company is broke, plain and simple.

#4372 4 years ago
Quoted from Expletive:

I believe that there are many more people who don't think the pins will ever be built than there are people who think that they will be built.

What people like me think is irrelevant - what matters is what Zidware clients think.

You have more information than we do and the educated advice you get here are based on gossip, speculation and hearsay... here is an example:

Quoted from YKpinballer:

And one more thing. He had to fire his assistant and hasn't paid himself for months? The company is broke, plain and simple.

#4373 4 years ago

Sounds like the only way owners will their games is to do what Iceman is doing... volunteer time to help relieve Jpop of everything that doesn't have to do with designing the games.

#4374 4 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Tain't nothin' till after the 5th...

These are home made You would be crawling after 5.......if your lucky!

#4375 4 years ago

I'm glad Ice is on this, but the biggest burn I feel this morning is John wasted an additional 5 months of everyone's time by basically lying to us that things were going to change after Expo. He had "muscle" coming in, Partners, project managers, dates set for "Lebowski" reveals.

We didn't make any of that up. He told us that. Now we're learning today that was all bullshit. And the bullshit continued pretty much steadily during this entire period.

Fine. Let's turn a new page and move forward, but "turning a new page" were my exact words back in October.

I understand there is no way out of this other than pressing on, but I feel really played here. I'm looking forward to what Ice has planned next, but I wonder what the next big move can be to prove to everyone that he has indeed changed his ways.

#4376 4 years ago

I spoke with JP the other night for an hour and 20 minutes and came away with most of the same thoughts ICE did. Bottom line is I think he knows he's failing big time at communication but feels if he continues to put his efforts into making the best pinball machine he ever designed that people will forgive him. I got the feeling he had tunnel vision and that if people were forming outside his home with torches and pitch-forks that he would be trying to finish a last few details before the house burnt down. I'm also convinced he's totally and completely irrational and paranoid when it comes to showing his master work with new designs and new innovations out of fear of 2 things. That people will steal his ideas, and that people will criticize his game in an unfinished state before they see the completed version.

#4377 4 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

I'm also convinced he's totally and completely irrational and paranoid when it comes to showing his master work with new designs and new innovations out of fear of 2 things. That people will steal his ideas, and that people will criticize his game in an unfinished state before they see the completed version.

I would say this is a correct conclusion. That was fine 2 years ago, but I would say he has lost that privilege at this point by going so late.

When I look at other projects that have been shown as works-in-progress (basically everything except Sterns), that feedback ultimately proved very valuable.

Look at how much Hobbit has changed since Expo. And look at the P3. Both took stinging criticism at times, but the market told them what THEY wanted and they listened and we get a superior product because of it.

#4378 4 years ago

So I pulled off the seal on my Queens's Card. Unfortunately, the ink was coming of the the entire card and I couldn't decipher what "secret code" was printed under the seal. That'll keep it a secret If anyone ever figures out the purpose for these cards please let me know.

Yeah, Jpop was nice and timely when I corresponded with him a year or so ago. The fact that the guy was taking time to talk to me every time I contacted Zidware seemed odd. So an "intervention" is/was probably needed. Not sure why so many of you folks in on the games are taking John's "acknowledgement" of the problems as anything other than a stall tactic. I'm not saying that in a mean way.

Quoted from Baiter:Sounds like the only way owners will their games is to do what Iceman is doing... volunteer time to help relieve Jpop of everything that doesn't have to do with designing the games.
Possibly there will be a lot more of the deposit givers building their own machines than anyone realized...

Disclaimer: nothing but 100% respect for John, even with all that has transpired. I love Jpop games. Not in on a pre-order at this time.

#4379 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I understand there is no way out of this other than pressing on, but I feel really played here. I'm looking forward to what Ice has planned next, but I wonder what the next big move can be to prove to everyone that he has indeed changed his ways.

The next big move is actually talking and getting updates from him at least weekly, asking questions and getting answers. Communication flow!

I texted him last night after my call about some of the "unpaid vendors". He acknowledged there was some "payables" outstanding, never said anything about them not getting paid.

I asked Tony from GLM to gather his info and provide it to me.

He has the $$, he has to prioritize and manage the cash flow. To that end, and where we are at in the process of "invoicing" and payments to be received, like any business, the some of the payables will have to wait, not that they won't get paid.

John is also in the process of opening up the development blogs to everybody, that's huge progress.

The hardware system appears to be solid and ready to go.

#4380 4 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Sounds like the only way owners will their games is to do what Iceman is doing... volunteer time to help relieve Jpop of everything that doesn't have to do with designing the games.

That's correct Baiter, helping out in ways we can to that will get our games quicker and with more clarity.

#4381 4 years ago

I'm curious about the GLM situation. As the insinuation posted here is that the work he did is incomplete. So why did he get left hanging, what happened to that work after, who is doing it now (if anyone)?

#4382 4 years ago

Note to The Big Lebowski pre-orders. Dutch Pinball heard about my trip and has kindly invited me to visit them while in Chicago. I will be extending my stay.

#4383 4 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

Bottom line is I think he knows he's failing big time at communication but feels if he continues to put his efforts into making the best pinball machine he ever designed that people will forgive him.

Why can't he do both? I really don't understand this fear of communication that Jpop and SkitB have - it literally would take 10 minutes after the workday to sit down at the computer and type up "Hey guys, this is what's going on....blah blah blah"

Quoted from NYP:

I'm also convinced he's totally and completely irrational and paranoid when it comes to showing his master work with new designs and new innovations out of fear of 2 things. That people will steal his ideas, and that people will criticize his game in an unfinished state before they see the completed version.

Just design a game you believe in and built it. People paid for it. Just MAKE IT already. Stop worrying about the "evil forces". People may or may not steal the ideas, and because this is life - people will criticize it. Jpop needs to go to therapy to work out his issues - they are not conducive to this business venture or living a healthy adult life.

#4384 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Note to The Big Lebowski pre-orders. Dutch Pinball has kindly invited me to visit them while in Chicago. I will be extending my stay.

Is this your way of creating more of the "Labowski effect?"

#4385 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Note to The Big Lebowski pre-orders. Dutch Pinball heard about my trip and has kindly invited me to visit them while in Chicago. I will be extending my stay.

The Netherlands is in Chicago?

#4386 4 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

The Netherlands is in Chicago?

The North American DP base is in Chicago.

I live in Wolf Lick, Kentucky. Do I have to pay for shipping from The Netherlands?

First, sorry to hear that, and second, no, for customers located in the United States and Canada, your order and any service related issues will be processed by Dutch Pinball BV, Inc.

#4387 4 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

I spoke with JP the other night for an hour and 20 minutes and came away with most of the same thoughts ICE did. Bottom line is I think he knows he's failing big time at communication but feels if he continues to put his efforts into making the best pinball machine he ever designed that people will forgive him. I got the feeling he had tunnel vision and that if people were forming outside his home with torches and pitch-forks that he would be trying to finish a last few details before the house burnt down. I'm also convinced he's totally and completely irrational and paranoid when it comes to showing his master work with new designs and new innovations out of fear of 2 things. That people will steal his ideas, and that people will criticize his game in an unfinished state before they see the completed version.

I believe the impression you and Iceman came away with is very positive, but lets be very clear here... communication is not the problem, it is a symptom of the problem. The problem is that he continues to miss every delivery time frame he has publicized.

It's a subtle but important distinction. In other words he is still 100% dedicated to delivering the games, but if he doesn't have a clue when that will be, communication of any large-scale timeframe is pointless. If he can re-focus on short, 1 month milestones, that would give the project some of the focus it needs.

I say project as singular because I would strongly recommend that he focuses exclusively on MG until it is done. Stop wasting time on RAZA or AIW progress or reveals which take away from MG delivery. RAZA owners need to accept this because they also run the risk of having AIW take time from RAZA progress. Delivery of MG will give all kinds of positive hope for RAZA and AIW delivery, and will be the first step to legitimacy of JPop as an independent studio. But it will take owners pitching in with positive support and willing deferral of their games, with that attitude communicated to JPop so he can feel comfortable doing so. That is the situation as it stands.

#4388 4 years ago
Quoted from LITZ:

So, Scott Danesi's house?

Post edited by epthegeek: Removed the code comment bit, Scott told me it's fresher than Expo.

#4389 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

John is also in the process of opening up the development blogs to everybody, that's huge progress.

Good, that's the smart move, glad to hear it. I'll admit that I'm personally curious, but honestly I really do think letting the world see what he's up to will ultimately build good will and excitement towards his projects, and that kind of energy is beneficial.

#4390 4 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

So, Scott Danesi's house? With his Labowski pin that has the same code on it that was on it at expo? Sounds worthwhile.

Hey, if he's lucky Scott will show him the test hardware for our joint mod.

#4391 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Hey, if he's lucky Scott will show him the test hardware for our joint mod.

You, sir, need to stop with the teasing.

#4392 4 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

You, sir, need to stop with the teasing.

Hey, I showed my prototype! But Scott is building a board to do smooth fading of the LED.

#4393 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Hey, I showed my prototype! But Scott is building a board to do smooth fading of the LED.

I was wondering what that board on Danesi Designs was for. I somehow missed the proto-peek.

On topic: JPOP, MG, RAZA, WOOT WOOT

#4394 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Cool!!!!

#4395 4 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

So, Scott Danesi's house?
Post edited by epthegeek: Removed the code comment bit, Scott told me it's fresher than Expo.

Yes. Also attending will be Bride of Pinbot, coffee liqueur *cough-Kahlua-cough-cough*, vodka and milk. I also get to find out what the No Trash Cougar means.

#4396 4 years ago
Quoted from LITZ:

I live in Wolf Lick, Kentucky. Do I have to pay for shipping from The Netherlands?
First, sorry to hear that, and second, no, for customers located in the United States and Canada, your order and any service related issues will be processed by Dutch Pinball BV, Inc.

Did you take this part from DP's website, "your order and any service related issues will be processed by Dutch Pinball BV, Inc."?

As far as I can tell it reads:

"First, sorry to hear that, and second, no, for customers located in the United States and Canada, your order and any service related issues will be processed by Dutch Pinball USA, Inc."

I wish they would clarify whether or not order are still being processed through DP USA.

Btw, sorry to post this in the Jpop thread. I will be happy to go over to the DP thread with any responses.

#4397 4 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

he's totally and completely irrational and paranoid when it comes to showing his master work with new designs and new innovations out of fear of 2 things. That people will steal his ideas, and that people will criticize his game in an unfinished state before they see the completed version

I once worked for a fiber optic company, and we would pot the entire housing so nobody could reverse engineer our circuits. Truth be told, if someone REALLY wanted to reverse engineer it, there are companies that will either wash the potting away, or grind it layer by layer and scan it until they come up with all the info they need (pcb layout, components, etc). Patents are only legal documents, they actually reveal more than not patenting it because once the patent goes through, it's public knowledge that's very easily searchable (especially something so niche as pinball, just search "Popadiuk"). All someone has to do is make an improvement on your design, and they can patent right over you (especially if someone else beats you to market).

As far as criticism, it's going to happen even when you're finished. You CANNOT satisfy everyone, and the only important people you have to impress are your buyers (which he already has). I think he's more worried that he's not going to live up to his own hype, and build a pinball worthy of what he's charging. Seriously, at this point I think most buyers just want a finished pinball.

#4398 4 years ago

I can't go through 88 pages here but is there any mention of refunds? I put in for a refund last August and am still waiting

#4399 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Yes. Also attending will be Bride of Pinbot, coffee liqueur *cough-Kahlua-cough-cough*, vodka and milk. I also get to find out what the No Trash Cougar means.

He had to drop Gary because Pinside doesn't allow user names to be that long.

#4400 4 years ago

Iceman's update can be summed up as: "Trust me."

Why? What actions has he done to generate that trust? There's no mention of time lines in that response, no mention of *why* previous deadlines were missed, no explanation of what's actually done at this point. It's more hand-wavy nonsense about "it's all good" with nothing explaining *why* it's good, other than "trust me."

It's just yet another stall tactic without facts or numbers.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
6,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Mods for your pinballs
$ 229.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 88 of 487.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside