(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,288 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 168 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,694 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png
B3F72CE8-1FCA-4E93-9994-CCC068D8F4C2 (resized).jpeg
7A86BB52-E1F5-4086-955C-86A6383C27D3 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

21 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24288 posts in this topic. You are on page 87 of 486.
#4301 4 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

OK, you got me. Yes, I *AM* JPop. My cover is blown!

image.jpg

#4302 4 years ago

I'm hopeful, and cautiously optimistic that we can turn this whole thing around into a POSITIVE outcome.

Gotta marry up some relationships real fast.

#4303 4 years ago

I'm for any strategy that isn't repeating whats been going on the last 6 months. So no more apologies, dates and promises given and us waiting around again.

#4304 4 years ago

MG - RAZA - AIW owners. I've set up a private Facebook group. It's hidden and invitation only. I know many of you already and others I'll need to verify.

Good idea? I don't know. Shoot me a private email.

#4305 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

So here are the options as I see them right now.
1) We could file a class action suit in State court and whomever reps Zidware would undoubtedly seek to have it removed to Federal court where there would be a more friendly environment for defendants. It would be a difficult and costly process for both sides.
2) Start off with one plaintiff, ideally somebody in Chicago or the surrounding area to begin putting pressure on Zidware to start listening to us. Send a "demand letter" and wait the appropriate time, 30 days here in Texas, before filing suit and requesting legal fees. We would sue Zidware Inc., and John personally. Given how he runs things, I'm confident we would have a chance at piercing the corporate veil and holding him personally liable. He would use OUR $$ to defend himself.
3) A constant phone call barrage with John. Doesn't seem to do a bit of good.
It's my opinion that we need to send a "demand letter" and force John to bring on help to get us our pinball machines.
I suggest Aaron and his team at FAST pinball and possibly a project manager like Chad K. John simply can't do it himself and I don't know why he is stalling.
If he fights it, then we file suit and get FAST in there that way.
Pretty pathetic, either way.

A few comments:
I think the owners need to vote and decide if this should turn into a legal matter, not you alone.

Being this post got no thumbs up, my initial impression would be they don't want it to.

I think most peoples experiences with lawyers lead them to believe that if they did get involved they would never see the machine or most of their money.

Anyone who is not an owner shouldn't have a say in this.

#4306 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

So here are the options as I see them right now.
1) We could file a class action suit in State court and whomever reps Zidware would undoubtedly seek to have it removed to Federal court where there would be a more friendly environment for defendants. It would be a difficult and costly process for both sides.
2) Start off with one plaintiff, ideally somebody in Chicago or the surrounding area to begin putting pressure on Zidware to start listening to us. Send a "demand letter" and wait the appropriate time, 30 days here in Texas, before filing suit and requesting legal fees. We would sue Zidware Inc., and John personally. Given how he runs things, I'm confident we would have a chance at piercing the corporate veil and holding him personally liable. He would use OUR $$ to defend himself.
3) A constant phone call barrage with John. Doesn't seem to do a bit of good.
It's my opinion that we need to send a "demand letter" and force John to bring on help to get us our pinball machines.
I suggest Aaron and his team at FAST pinball and possibly a project manager like Chad K. John simply can't do it himself and I don't know why he is stalling.
If he fights it, then we file suit and get FAST in there that way.
Pretty pathetic, either way.

As an owner, I am for no class legal action at this time. I think visits and non-aggressive contact by owners is the only logical thing to do. I have been there twice before. I'll try to work a visit in during March or April time frame and report on any progress that I see.

All I see from owners legal action is complete shut down of Zidware and no hope for recovery. For vendors that are owed money, that is a different story. I would suggest a suit and judgement. Not paying bills for services rendered is not acceptable.

Tom

#4307 4 years ago

I'm for sending John a demand letter. After the expo debacle it seems the only way to get his attention is threats of lawyers getting involved. I think a strongly worded letter is a good first step.

If John is working night and day 7 days a week like he says he is, and I don't doubt it, we should be seeing more (any) progress.

#4308 4 years ago

John is definitely the text book definition of working hard and not smart. He needs to be saved from himself.

#4309 4 years ago

Everyone gets mad at me for questioning a likelyhood of mental illness. I just can't imagine the burden of carrying on an abject failure with no positive end in sight. Whether it's denial, ego-mania, OCD, or something completely different, certainly there is a cog missing on the gear.

Do you think he forgets his lies or is his failure to acknowledge his failure purposeful deceit?

#4310 4 years ago

I will say John is very much a Victorian steam punk dreamer.

#4311 4 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

I think the owners need to vote and decide if this should turn into a legal matter, not you alone.
Being this post got no thumbs up, my initial impression would be they don't want it to.
I think most peoples experiences with lawyers lead them to believe that if they did get involved they would never see the machine or most of their money.

It's not my decision "alone", and I agree with this. John gets sued, we all lose. That's why I'm trying to get involved and help work out a deal for John to wake up and cut a deal with Aaron and the FAST pinball guys, like I said earlier.

I'm also not willing to sit back and do nothing if he continues to bury his head in the sand.

We will never see our pinball machines or any kind of decent programming if this doesn't happen. Simple as that.

This is the deal that EVERYBODY better start getting behind, right now.

#4312 4 years ago

He has to use OUR money wisely, to pay the right people, across all three pinball machines so we can have the best hardware and software platform and support for the future.

John is a great pinball designer, that's where it ends. He knows he needs Aaron and we need to force the marriage. PERIOD.

I'm getting more and more OPTIMISTIC.

#4313 4 years ago

I booked flights this morning and will be arriving into Chicago day after tomorrow. This is just a hop and pop to visit John and I return the following day.

If you've not join the private Facebook group yet, I suggest that you do. Send me a PM and I'll explain how.

Again, if I don't know you, I will need to verify who you are and your participation before sending out an invitation. I do have a method of screening people and some have already tested me.

#4314 4 years ago

John Carmack tweeted this, I thought it was applicable here too.JPOP.jpg

#4316 4 years ago

Nevermind, hopefully the games get completed.

#4317 4 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

So in summary here:
a) he's not paying some bills
b) a lot of the people working with him at some point have bailed
c) things are super late
d) very little info is available about what is going on
e) there seems to be a constant stall tactic ongoing
I don't think "wait and see" would be the attitude I would be taking at this point if I had money in this. Maybe some people need more than 5 red flags before they get nervous. Also, from prototype to production, what's the shortest amount of time it's taken to get the machines to start building...1 1/2 years? So at the earliest, late 2016 would be the start of production, and probably 2017 for most.

This is all true, but the problem is:
1) many think (and likely) that the pins will get built eventually and will be great. It's the time aspect that is distorted.
2) many think (and likely) that if enough people get hot feet and want their money back, number 1 won't happen.

#4318 4 years ago

We have to figure out an outcome where everyone wins. Scorched earth makes for good pinside drama but not good for the people actually involved.

#4319 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

This is all true, but the problem is:
1) many think (and likely) that the pins will get built eventually and will be great. It's the time aspect that is distorted.
2) many think (and likely) that if enough people get hot feet and want their money back, number 1 won't happen.

I believe that there are many more people who don't think the pins will ever be built than there are people who think that they will be built.

But most people who think this refrain from saying it in this thread, lest they be called a hater, shit starter, or troll.

#4320 4 years ago
Quoted from roc-noc:

I think visits and non-aggressive contact by owners is the only logical thing to do. I have been there twice before.

Only a crazy person does the same thing over and over and expects a different result.

A bunch of people have gone to visit and nothing has changed. Plenty more have sent non-aggressive letters and emails, and nothing has changed. Maybe it's time to change tactics?

#4321 4 years ago

The difference between this clusterfuck and the predator clusterfuck, is there are no hollywood companies to deal with, and the actual game itself has the potential to be a shining jewel. So, if we can get the wheels turning and things moving forward, change jpop's ways of doing things, things can be turned around. Ice has some things in private cooking that may help.

#4322 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Only a crazy person does the same thing over and over and expects a different result.
A bunch of people have gone to visit and nothing has changed. Plenty more have sent non-aggressive letters and emails, and nothing has changed. Maybe it's time to change tactics?

That is very good reasoning! Hope is not a good strategy. Nothing will change unless you do something.

#4323 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

John Carmack tweeted this, I thought it was applicable here too.

My boss always tells me "fail early, fail often. Don't sit behind your computer all day, go out and make prototypes even if they don't work"

Pat Lawlor's banzai run prototype looked like crap, but it played well enough for williams to hire him. I'm perfectly ok with JPOP's need to do the backglass art as a focal point that defines the playfield, but doing multiple revisions of final artwork before you know if you can even fully build a pinball seems so "putting the cart before the horse". I've never seen any industry that creates artwork before the product is made, including pinball. Most designers design playfields far before the theme is chosen, or even if the theme is chosen it can be changed mid-stream but somehow they still make it work (See bram stroker's dracula, originally Aliens). It's one of the hottest titles that shot up in price because people realized how challenging it was and deep ruleset.

#4324 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Gee, I never heard that one before.

Actually I did see good progress between the two visits. I don't consider that "over and over expecting a different result". The problem here is that most of the people giving their "sage" advice are not owners.

Unfortunately pinside doesn't have an opportunity for a private owners forum. This would be a good use for one.

#4325 4 years ago
Quoted from roc-noc:

Actually I did see good progress between the two visits.

The other owners don't seem to have the same info as you. Have you shared it with them to help with the situation? Why doesn't Popaduik share this info with the other owners himself?

So, if there's progress, don't they deserve to see it?

All of this is regardless of someone being an owner or not.

#4326 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

The other owners don't seem to have the same info as you. Have you shared it with them to help with the situation? Why doesn't Popaduik share this info with the other owners himself?
So, if there's progress, don't they deserve to see it?
All of this is regardless of someone being an owner or not.

And why are you in this thread? Are you an owner or a registered therapist?

#4327 4 years ago

I think John needs to explain the status of these games to all of us owners. It is impossible to make informed decisions over speculation. The concerned owners seem to outweigh the others and some owners may not speak up since the same questions are continually raised again and again. We also don't know who all the owners are, since they don't seem to be all accounted for on the blog maybe some owners are actually distributors that bought a whack of these games to flip in the future, who knows?
I think we can all agree, we want to see these games completed but this talk about investors worries me. The MG guys spent a premium for a very limited game, if all the money is actually gone as necessary to deliver them, John should go to the bank and get a loan in order to complete them in my views.
We bought limited games that we expected to be delivered, not some patented concepts to take to market.

I suggest for Iceman to send a letter asking John to immediately update the blogs and all owners with the status of our games with new timelines for delivery. If he fails, maybe Iceman can coordinate with other owners that can make it to John's shop and meet together to get the hard answers and details. Then they can let all of us know the status of our games or provide us unfortunate news if John is unable to satisfy the concerns. We need to be confident these games will be completed and the vendors need to get paid.

#4328 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

We have to figure out an outcome where everyone wins. Scorched earth makes for good pinside drama but not good for the people actually involved.

There won't be any scorched earth because there will be no lawsuits of any kind. It's just not reality, what lawyer would waste his time on such nonsense and who would pay him? Nobody gets a pinball machine and only the lawyers get paid.

That said, I just got off the phone with John, spent the last hour and a half with him.

There is a ton of misinformation out there.

He's not moving at the pace everybody would like, which he fully acknowledges, but there is a ton of stuff to show and reveal that will be done by opening up the Blogs on each project to everybody so they can see for themselves, and him adding additional stuff to it.

News flash, John has an accounting firm that handles all the tax issues and reporting. He does have the cash to build our pins with the remaining deposit money due. I told him to use me as a resource from that standpoint and he plans to take advantage of it.

We talked about firing himself from the $15 an hour work that an assistant does and focusing on what matters. That is easier said than done for a non business guy. He's had an assistant that he had to get rid of because she got nothing done timely!

I'm an excellent judge of character and John is the farthest thing from a scammer, con artist, etc. That's MY judgement after speaking with him for that length of time.

John is a good guy that gets his feelings hurt and that's just the way it is, I told him what I think and how he should react to the negativity and criticism, including from myself. Don't retreat, embrace it head on, full disclosure and "don't let the bastards wear you down".

There are people working and helping to get things done. John's no dumbass as a designer and there is a shitload of stuff to conquer, i.e. JJP Like Jack, he's not the master of communication or thinking things through.

John and I agreed to talk at least WEEKLY, with updates and whatever help I can provide him from a legal, tax and financial standpoint. I'll pass on whatever info he gives me.

Anybody can feel free to call him, don't be intimidated, he's a great guy.

It's time to put the pitchforks down, you will get an incredible pinball machine at the end of the day.

For the record, he hasn't paid himself in months and offered to allow me to verify that claim.

#4329 4 years ago

Great post Ice, and SO GLAD to hear some positive news finally.

#4330 4 years ago

Thanks, Ice.

Quoted from iceman44:

Well, we're here today because he gave a date (this most recent date, not the previously discussed dates where nothing happened). We waited patiently. He acknowledged the date multiple times as it approached. Then it was here, and we got nothing. So that is the problem. Not a misinformation problem.

Anyhow. Glad you're on it and helping.

#4331 4 years ago

Hear that?

Thats the sound of all the pitchforks being thrown on the ground, lol.

Good to hear, awesome that a phone call can diffuse a situation.

#4332 4 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

Hear that?

The update sounds good.

#4333 4 years ago

Ice - what did he say about the reveals?

#4334 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'm an excellent judge of character and John is the farthest thing from a scammer, con artist, etc. That's MY judgement after speaking with him for that length of time.

Ice, I came away with the same thoughts after talking to JPoP at Expo (prior to the empty cabinets fiasco). BUT, if that's the case, he's got to show us owners something and fast. I really think I'm out $10K, as I'm fully paid on RAZA. Most of us owners are really, really tired and I've given him all the slack that I can give. We need something more than the visitor of the month saying things are okay without any real progress to show for it. I think we're also tired of the "I'm building a pinball company" statement. We bought a pinball machine, not a company, so if he has to outsource to Stern, used licensed Williams part or whoever, then that's what he's got to do. He may not be a con artist, but if not, he's a friggin' idiot!

#4335 4 years ago

Great work ICE, Did you ask him if he had a fully working prototype? And we want to see a video of it ASAP.
And when is he expecting a production date? Or who might do the production?

Quoted from iceman44:

He's not moving at the pace everybody would like, which he fully acknowledges, but there is a ton of stuff to show and reveal that will be done by opening up the Blogs on each project to everybody so they can see for themselves, and him adding additional stuff to it.

When is the expected timeframe for this reveal?

Quoted from iceman44:

News flash, John has an accounting firm that handles all the tax issues and reporting. He does have the cash to build our pins with the remaining deposit money due. I told him to use me as a resource from that standpoint and he plans to take advantage of it.

How many people owe a remaining deposit? Most people have paid in full I thought.
Again, it's great you contacted him ICE, and will have weekly communication.

#4336 4 years ago

I'd like to hear what will be changing going forward. Cause otherwise we're in the SSDD phase again.

There does need to be some resolution with unpaid vendors and refunds, etc. Those are big issues.

#4337 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Thanks, Ice.

Well, we're here today because he gave a date (this most recent date, not the previously discussed dates where nothing happened). We waited patiently. He acknowledged the date multiple times as it approached. Then it was here, and we got nothing. So that is the problem. Not a misinformation problem.
Anyhow. Glad you're on it and helping.

I came away from the discussion realizing that he is a business/communications neophyte, he knows it.

He's not a politician. There really are delay issues, and he's his own worst enemy because its not explained adequately. I don't know how else to say it.

He knows he F ed up by not explaining the deadlines missed but when he talked to me about it, I got it and so would everybody else.

You guys can either take my word for it or call him yourselves. As I'm talking to him I'm like wtf John, all you had to do is elaborate, update, and communicate what you just told me.

Like I said, he is very willing to accept my help and for me to pass on whatever questions/info to the rest of you guys.

I'm a savvy business guy and I'm not worried, you shouldn't be either. It is what it is and let's all get on the same boat. I'll help navigate!

#4338 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I'd like to hear what will be changing going forward. Cause otherwise we're in the SSDD phase again.
There does need to be some resolution with unpaid vendors and refunds, etc. Those are big issues.

Exactly what I was thinking. If everything is financially sound why the hell is he stiffing vendors and refusing refunds?
To me this is just another SSDD. He told you what you wanted to hear like he's been doing all along to everybody.

#4339 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I came away from the discussion realizing that he is a business/communications neophyte, he knows it.
He's not a politician. There really are delay issues, and he's his own worst enemy because its not explained adequately. I don't know how else to say it.
He knows he F ed up by not explaining the deadlines missed but when he talked to me about it, I got it and so would everybody else.
You guys can either take my word for it or call him yourselves. As I'm talking to him I'm like wtf John, all you had to do is elaborate, update, and communicate what you just told me.
Like I said, he is very willing to accept my help and for me to pass on whatever questions/info to the rest of you guys.
I'm a savvy business guy and I'm not worried, you shouldn't be either. It is what it is and let's all get on the same boat. I'll help navigate!

Did you suggest to John to enlighten the rest of us by updating the blog so the rest of us can understand what you are talking about?

#4340 4 years ago
Quoted from limelime20:

Great work ICE, Did you ask him if he had a fully working prototype? And we want to see a video of it ASAP.
And when is he expecting a production date? Or who might do the production?

When is the expected timeframe for this reveal?

How many people owe a remaining deposit? Most people have paid in full I thought.
Again, it's great you contacted him ICE, and will have weekly communication.

He's working to get the blogs and all the reveal stuff up for everybody to see and you can thank another pinsider helper in Steven P. for that part as well.

I'm telling you guys, this is gonna be what we all wanted it to be. Not easy, not without some future BS and issues but we will all be informed and updated.

John wants that and I'll make sure of it.

I'm gonna let John throw out the "blog updates" and we can all go from there.

I'll make sure, and he would want it this way, that any monies paid to get these projects done are protected and with a plan in place.

#4341 4 years ago

Great news Ice. I'm pulling for Jpop and all you guys.

#4342 4 years ago

Ice, thanks for the update. Really appreciate your efforts and insight and still optimistic these machines will be built.

#4343 4 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

Hear that?

That's funny, it sounded like a can getting kicked down the road to me.

#4344 4 years ago
Quoted from Shrub_Light:

Exactly what I was thinking. If everything is financially sound why the hell is he stiffing vendors and refusing refunds?
To me this is just another SSDD. He told you what you wanted to hear like he's been doing all along to everybody.

I'll get to the bottom of it. You guys need to relax right now. Let me get the full story and accounting.

#4345 4 years ago
Quoted from fumbleflippers:

That's funny, it sounded like a can getting kicked down the road to me.

If you mean that it's gonna take a while longer to get shit done then yeah, that's exactly what it means, wtf do you know?

#4346 4 years ago

I don't know anything other than Jpop still isn't communicating with his actual customers, he's relying on third parties to relay news. He should just show what he's got to the owners and let them decide what they want to do.

#4347 4 years ago
Quoted from fumbleflippers:

I don't know anything other than Jpop still isn't communicating with his actual customers, he's relying on third parties to relay news. He should just show what he's got to the owners and let them decide what they want to do.

And he's going to, have a little more patience, you have no other option. PERIOD.

And its the best option. That is a FACT. I will do everything I can to help facilitate getting pinball machines and info out there.

You guys are just going to have to accept best efforts here. I'm no dummy.

#4348 4 years ago

If you ask me he should just ditch the whole stupid NDA idea. It was dumb in the first place, but if he'd actually been feeding you guys awesome updates the whole time and it was a cool little secret club then it would have worked.

Instead you've got this situation where the outside world is convinced everything is screwed, and the owners don't feel much different. Total backfire. This obsession with patents and secrets is ridiculous. Pinball is a hobby where people build upon each other. Jpop wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the people before him who set the stage. Make your game, and let the public point fingers if someone tries to steal your idea.

But if you just opened everything up (hint, that's the "Labowski Effect") and got people excited everyone would be in a better spot. Not least of which is if it looks like things will eventually be done and you want a refund the chances of someone taking your spot are exponentially higher if everyone can see what's coming.

Let's face it, we've all seen the Adobe video, the NDA is a joke. Just become a pinball company and try and impress the world. Do it right and the positive feedback would be a healthy thing for everyone.

#4349 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'll get to the bottom of it. You guys need to relax right now. Let me get the full story and accounting.

I trust you, Ice. We're just all collectively very cynical because the history and the game of quieting us down with a few words. You've got some time from me but something significant has to change.

#4350 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

There won't be any scorched earth because there will be no lawsuits of any kind. It's just not reality, what lawyer would waste his time on such nonsense and who would pay him? Nobody gets a pinball machine and only the lawyers get paid.
That said, I just got off the phone with John, spent the last hour and a half with him.
We talked about firing himself from the $15 an hour work that an assistant does and focusing on what matters. That is easier said than done for a non business guy. He's had an assistant that he had to get rid of because she got nothing done timely!
John is a good guy that gets his feelings hurt and that's just the way it is, I told him what I think and how he should react to the negativity and criticism, including from myself. Don't retreat, embrace it head on, full disclosure and "don't let the bastards wear you down".
There are people working and helping to get things done. John's no dumbass as a designer and there is a shitload of stuff to conquer, i.e. JJP Like Jack, he's not the master of communication or thinking things through.
John and I agreed to talk at least WEEKLY, with updates and whatever help I can provide him from a legal, tax and financial standpoint. I'll pass on whatever info he gives me.
Anybody can feel free to call him, don't be intimidated, he's a great guy.
It's time to put the pitchforks down, you will get an incredible pinball machine at the end of the day.
For the record, he hasn't paid himself in months and offered to allow me to verify that claim.

That's the most positive, uplifting post in this thread in months! Good job Doug.

Hopefully the weekly conversations will serve to keep everyone informed and satisfied about the status on the project.

Regarding the tons of misinformation being out there, I hope he realizes that that is largely his fault and that he will do a better job of communicating so that doesn't continue to happen.

You know how badly I want to see JPop succeed with these pins! I was originally in on RAZA for a reason.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Mods for your pinballs
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fargo, ND
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Olathe, KS
There are 24288 posts in this topic. You are on page 87 of 486.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside