(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,288 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 168 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,694 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png
B3F72CE8-1FCA-4E93-9994-CCC068D8F4C2 (resized).jpeg
7A86BB52-E1F5-4086-955C-86A6383C27D3 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

21 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24288 posts in this topic. You are on page 85 of 486.
#4201 4 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I’m actually enjoying the MG reveal, it’s still being updated every 8-10 hours

You wrote this back in December. Here we are end of February. Does it even count as a "reveal" if 2 months later there is still no playable game?

Yeah yeah yeah, he's doing something different and it's not a Stern piece of shit. But you can see the huge problems going on, and continue to go on. The excuses are long played out.

Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I believe then next date he has announced was late January for the prototypes of RAZA. Can you give him till then before your on his nuts again??

See, you as well as us were led to believe there would be "prototypes" in January (then Feb) and now we're looking at some hobbled together playfield that can't have a ball roll across it. You're going to call us out for being on his nuts anymore?

#4203 4 years ago

No everything is not A-ok.
But your numbers are off so I thought I'd chime in on that.

#4204 4 years ago

It's not even about the money at this point. I put $$$ in knowing full well this could be a total flush.

I've lost a lot more in Vegas and made a WHOLE lot more in Apple!

It's about some F ing honesty, communication and just doing right by the people that crowd funded these projects. Good Lord.

Like Aurich said, how do you sleep at night?

#4205 4 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

No everything is not A-ok.
But your numbers are off so I thought I'd chime in on that.

Well, that's what I want to know from John. What's left and what does he need to get it done. He won't pay anybody so that leads me to believe he has nothing left and he can't do it by himself.

Let's get some answers and get it done. Seriously, wtf, if he would just come clean maybe we could get a bridge to the next step, instead, he's intent on continuous BS lies and blowing smoke up peoples asses.

#4206 4 years ago

I hope he's going to teleport to the future by tomorrow. Nice to see some little "pieces" of a playfield with parts.... but.. it's pretty clear in that most recent blog post, that the playfield is an overlay. Looking at the lane switches and post mounting (yellow post), that's an overlay. At this point, I'd sure love to see an actual cleared playfield on any full game presentation.

#4207 4 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

I hope he's going to teleport to the future by tomorrow. Nice to see some little "pieces" of a playfield with parts.... but.. it's pretty clear in that most recent blog post, that the playfield is an overlay. Looking at the lane switches and post mounting (yellow post), that's an overlay. At this point, I'd sure love to see an actual cleared playfield on any full game presentation.

There isn't a cleared play field on RAZA and amazingly not one MG either, just an overlay, how do you "flip" on that?

But there is artwork, 4 years worth.

#4208 4 years ago

What's a bigger cluster RAZA or Predator?

#4209 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

MG.

#4210 4 years ago

RAZA for certain. There is "a hope in hell" that anyone can manufacture 19 pinballs. But then he has to follow that up producing 6x more with whatever money is leftover.

#4211 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Well.... let's see.

So far from RAZA I have a t-shirt. Bleh...

From Predator I have a BackAlley Creations topper that works great with Dragon's Lair!

So I guess RAZA is winning...

DSC_0070.JPG
#4212 4 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Well.... let's see.
So far from RAZA I have a t-shirt. Bleh...
From Predator I have a BackAlley Creations topper that works great with Dragon's Lair!
So I guess RAZA is winning...

DSC_0070.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

Yeah but you have the best Avatar so that counts for something

#4213 4 years ago

Love to see a Dragons Lair pin with LCD vids from the game

#4214 4 years ago

I can see it now:

RAZA released first: MG buyers angry
MG released first: RAZA buyers angry

And find the live coverage about it on pinside!

#4215 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

RAZA for certain. There is "a hope in hell" that anyone can manufacture 19 pinballs. But then he has to follow that up producing 6x more with whatever money is leftover.

Well, let's go AIW then...

#4216 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Not even close. Pay attention.
- What RAZA owners are asking is a video of a working game... "Predator mission complete"-style.
- You also got your refund from Skit-B. I wonder when the last JPOP patron asking for a refund got it.

#4217 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It's not even about the money at this point. I put $$$ in knowing full well this could be a total flush.
I've lost a lot more in Vegas and made a WHOLE lot more in Apple!
It's about some F ing honesty, communication and just doing right by the people that crowd funded these projects. Good Lord.
Like Aurich said, how do you sleep at night?

He sleeps with absinthe and ambian. I know if I had taken a million dollars and had nothing to show my gut would have a hole in it the size of a basket ball. It really takes a certain quality of person to not be bothered by something like that.

#4218 4 years ago

Pitch forks coming back out yet?

#4219 4 years ago

By the way SKULZ is the only guy in this thread who thumbs down anyone talking bad about jpop but never says anything in the thread... Why is that?

#4220 4 years ago

Blah blah blah. You guys will crack the shits for a day or two act all tough... then Jpop willl post a photo of a newly designed spring and you guys will slink away all happy.

GROW A PAIR AND DEMAND SATISFACTION! !!

#4221 4 years ago

today must be the day, he promised, right?

#4222 4 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

today must be the day, he promised, right?

Well, it wasn't "today", it was "February", today just happens to be the last possible day.

At this point, we know it was another empty promise and missed deadline. We won't be seeing a "fully built" machine today. We will be seeing a few pictures of something, basically the same bread crumbs we've been given since the start.

It's becoming clear he has no money to finish this expeditiously, his way of doing things isn't working, and there isn't a lot we can do to press his hand. Some of the Pinside spectators want to see legal action for their entertainment but I don't know how throwing good money after bad helps anything when there is nothing to press.

So likely an expensive lesson coming for us, and the pre-order model for pinball is forever changed, and instead of a "Lebowski effect" there will be a new "Jpop effect" term coined.

#4223 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

So likely an expensive lesson coming for us, and the pre-order model for pinball is forever changed, and instead of a "Lebowski effect" there will be a new "Jpop effect" term coined.

image.png

#4224 4 years ago

Time to get on that plane, Iceman. Git'r'done.

#4225 4 years ago

I have no skin in this so advance apologies for chiming in.

I've read this thread since the beginning and I'm curious. After all these years with missed deadlines and piss poor communication, refusing refunds, etc, does anyone see a point when you involve an attorney? I know Ice flirted with the idea awhile back.

Rooting for everyone to get their games.

#4226 4 years ago

I think you guys have lost your money. I hope not but it sounds that way.

#4227 4 years ago

Pizmo,
Attorneys to do what ? Get blood from a stone?

#4228 4 years ago

So the recourse other than legal action is to let Jpop run around pretend playing pinball designer on whatever money is left; if there still is any left? Clearly reasoning, veiled and overt threats haven't swayed jpop. He isn't leaving much recourse to the owners.

#4229 4 years ago

Out of curiosity, I went back through the blog to review the announcements of people brought on to help. I only went back to Expo, as that was the time the heat starting to come down on him for more results. Looking at the list below, and what we've seen since, I'm not sure who if anyone is involved with him today, other than the Fast & Mission guys, that have posted in this thread.

These announcements were made to placate us. If they were nothing more than BS to buy more time, this gets worse by the day.

January 17 - "Chad" hired for operations, Chris for PR.

January 10 - "Mystery Guest" programmer brought on

Oct 25 - "begun discussion with a very suitable outside partner that we would be able to assist and add muscle to all of our current projects, business, development and future projects."

Oct 23 - "I have a new project manager starting today"

Oct 21 - Mission Pinball / Fast Pinball Announcement

#4230 4 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

Pizmo,
Attorneys to do what ? Get blood from a stone?

If you saw the recent discussion about the money received vs. the admittedly loose estimates of what money could have been spent thus far, there should still be money left. For now.

If so, personally I think taking legal action sooner makes more sense than waiting longer.

#4231 4 years ago

Someone in the group must have a family member or close friend who is a lawyer and could write a strong letter. That may be all that is necessary.

#4232 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

January 17 - "Chad" hired for operations, Chris for PR.
January 10 - "Mystery Guest" programmer brought on
Oct 25 - "begun discussion with a very suitable outside partner that we would be able to assist and add muscle to all of our current projects, business, development and future projects."
Oct 23 - "I have a new project manager starting today"
Oct 21 - Mission Pinball / Fast Pinball Announcement

The first "new project manager" is long gone. I guess he found out he wasn't going to get paid.

The outside "muscle partner" is fantasy I think and if we really knew we'd all be running for the exits.

January 10th "mystery programmer" I think just picked up from where the last guy left off who didn't get paid.

January 17th, my guess is Chad K. "hired for operations" met the same fate. No pay or some kind of chump change deal.

I really think John thinks people should line up to just want to give their services for the opportunity to work with the great pinball designer in return for food and a free pinball machine.

Bottom line, if there is no Chad K. or operations manager type then its all over and it won't ever get done.

Like RobT said, IF there is any money left, and if he is just running the clock out and paying only himself then its time to act.

The insanity of it all is that IF there is actually some $$$ left that he won't F ing pay anybody to get the job done. Penny wise and pound foolish.

#4233 4 years ago

Breaking the nada showing up at his place taking pictures of every inch of the set up games inside and out, parts of the games on shelves if any, ect... That would give the investors a idea of what to do next.. He's still hiding

#4234 4 years ago

Remember when he wanted to have a pinball school. I actually applied because I thought it would be fun. He mentioned building "A" machine for free as part of the schooling. Never gave it any thought after the email. I will actually scan my email and see if its still hanging around. I think he was just trying to get free labor or something.

#4235 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Like RobT said, IF there is any money left, and if he is just running the clock out and paying only himself then its time to act.
The insanity of it all is that IF there is actually some $$$ left that he won't F ing pay anybody to get the job done. Penny wise and pound foolish.

Would there be a statute of limitations in something like this? If so when would the clock start on that? The day you made final payment? Not sure how civil stuff works but I suppose a case could be made criminally if someone can prove he never intended to deliver? Again No idea.

What recourse could be taken? Just a group action asking for Games or money by date x?

#4236 4 years ago
Quoted from DevilsTuner:

Would there be a statute of limitations in something like this? If so when would the clock start on that? The day you made final payment? Not sure how civil stuff works but I suppose a case could be made criminally if someone can prove he never intended to deliver? Again No idea.
What recourse could be taken? Just a group action asking for Games or money by date x?

Generally speaking the SOL is 4 years from the date of breach of a contract. I think RAZA was supposed to be delivered by Q4 2013, so there's still a lot of time. Like I said, though, I do not think waiting much longer is the smart thing to do.

#4237 4 years ago

Well I wouldn't wait in fear of the money being gone. I think his ego has gotten the best of him here and he thinks people will just wait forever. He is quickly becoming Wayne just showing random bins of parts on Fb and what not.

#4238 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Generally speaking the SOL is 4 years from the date of breach of a contract. I think RAZA was supposed to be delivered by Q4 2013, so there's still a lot of time. Like I said, though, I do not think waiting much longer is the smart thing to do.

I agree. Waiting at this point is probably not the most prudent. The thing to do IMO is try and get together a list of as many people as possible who are fed, hopefully approaching 40, and try and get a class action suit going. You'll save on attorney's fees and there might be a chance.

Even then, I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't much to get. Are his companies LLC's? Or are they incorporated?

#4239 4 years ago
Quoted from Robotoes:

Even then, I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't much to get. Are his companies LLC's? Or are they incorporated?

incorporated
http://www.pinballinventor.org/welcome.html
zidware.inc.jpg

#4240 4 years ago

Well it's not an LLC, it's a C corp or maybe S election. In any event, the fact that it's not an LLC makes it easier to deal with legally

Would anybody want to take over and step into his shoes at this point?

What a nightmare to have to sort out. We know the IP is worth nothing. Maybe we could take the artwork and sell t-shirts and trinkets to recoup money

#4241 4 years ago
Quoted from DevilsTuner:

. I actually applied because I thought it would be fun. He mentioned building "A" machine for free as part of the schooling. Never gave it any thought after the email. I will actually scan my email and see if its still hanging around. I think he was just trying to get free labor or something.

It's better than that. You get to pay HIM to build the machines(paint the fences). That's a step above free labor. NDA on the house!

#4242 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Well it's not an LLC, it's a C corp or maybe S election. In any event, the fact that it's not an LLC makes it easier to deal with legally

Yeah, that's why I was asking. LLC's are the bane of my existence currently. Little little slippery eels. What's the difference, legally, between C and S?

#4243 4 years ago

We never set up C corps today. No reason. S corp election just lets the profits and losses flow through to individuals. No retention of income

LLC with 2 or more can choose any form of taxation. C, S or Partnership. Always choose a partnership. Least audited, most flexible and can share profits and losses disproportionately.

LLC is best asset protection tool by far. Can only get a "charging order" against partners interest.

So Inc. was a mistake by whomever set that up

#4244 4 years ago

Best case is to force John to hire people to help get our pins done.

I'm not really interested in getting pennies on the dollar back. After all this, I want a pinball machine.

Time for full disclosure from John

#4245 4 years ago

Lawsuit won't get you a game. At best you'll what? Recover some fraction of your money after a headache process?

I don't think the situation, as I understand it, is unsalvageable. You just need enough real pressure to force John to stop being so stubborn and let people into the process to complete it. Maybe that's legal pressure, maybe it's 10 of you showing up in person to have a serious discussion.

edit: And Ice basically said the same thing while I was typing.

#4246 4 years ago

I suggest a group at expo to confront him. No secret where his shop is at all. If hes not there just check all the star bucks in the out lying areas.

#4247 4 years ago

I can't seem to find it now in this huge thread, but wasn't there a post from a person who had visited months ago who said he played a flipping playfield that interacted with the lcd screen?

#4248 4 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

I can't seem to find it now in this huge thread, but wasn't there a post from a person who had visited months ago who said he played a flipping playfield that interacted with the lcd screen?

Page 26, post 1298. (From November)

#4249 4 years ago

Here's the post in question to save people the trouble of hunting it down:

Quoted from Multiball1:

I VISITED THE JPOP LAB LAST WEEK
I've been paid in full for MG for nearly two years and I have a significant amount paid in towards RAZA. If you look at earlier posts of mine toward the beginning of this thread it's very clear that I don't drink the JPOP cool aid (far from it) and that I'm as frustrated as could be with the delay. It brought me to a point where I said to myself that with over $20k invested into John's projects and all of this frustration I'm an ass if I don't drive or fly out to see him, so that's just what I did. (I'm not implying anything about other owners that choose not to or can't, it's just how I felt about my own situation)
All I can say is that if you are an owner and have the ability to visit you should. I'm also posting this to hopefully prevent some of the owners from having an unnecessary coronary. With that being said...could something go wrong...funds run out....development take even longer? Certainly.....These are all items that always remain the unknown, so I'm not offering you a verbal insurance policy but I'm happy to share an outline of what I saw and you take from it what you will.
I PLAYED A FEW GAMES OF MAGIC GIRL and really enjoyed the game. (It was not 100% done)
The LED screen was functioning, had tons of animation (certainly still has more to go), and it was fully interactive with gameplay.
Soundtrack and sounds were very appealing. I hate to take his new work and reference it by looking back 20 years but since it's the only comparable we all know, think along the lines of a TOM / TOTAN combo.
The playfield is far from a white wood. I believe the prototype I played had the final version of the playfield, although I'm sure anything is subject to change, but any of us would be thrilled to have this in our game without a single revision. The artwork is absolutely amazing. Colors are vibrant and really JPOP.
The backglass/translite is stunning and I believe it's been finalized. Artwork is also amazing and it beautifully compliments the playfield and cabinet art.
I think the cabinet art is terrific. Not too busy but really calls out to you. I predict there will not be any controversy by the owners over the artwork package.
In terms of the mechs, ramps, lighting, etc. I don't want to spit out a random percentage, but a significant amount were final production parts, with many items still being the prototype version as they wait for the arrival of the production pieces, and a small percentage being items still undergoing testing. There are boxes and boxes in his facility filled with some of the final parts that will go into the game, both for on the playfield and for underneath. The underside of the playfield was completely wired up..if you saw a picture of the underside you'd nearly think it was one that rolled off a Bally/Williams assembly line.
Ramps are going to be very "fun" and as I'm sure you expected are far off from what you see in pinball games today.
Lighting has some new and very visually appealing concepts that I think other manufacturers will attempt to use in their future games.
Toys.....certainly some new things pinball hasn't seen yet and others that we have seen, just pumped up on steroids. Of course many other playfield items/toys that are somewhat standard. One toy in particular is just off the charts.
Away from Magic Girl......
I saw the RAZA playfield that RAZA owners had access to on John's blog. It looks even better in person when you can view it from any angle. I also saw a few versions of cabinet art beyond what was displayed at Expo.
Saw an early sketched version of the AIW playfield (in a cabinet) as well as early sketched cabinet art.
I'm sorry that a lot of what I'm saying is "soft fluff" and incredibly general, but you all know why... Just imagine how frustrating it is to play the prototype of such an exciting and visually attractive game and not be able to tell your friends in the pinball community about it.
I just want to reiterate to owners, MG in particular (and RAZA once you see MG you'll be more comfortable) that I believe you will be much more relaxed when the private reveal happens. Considering how much time we've already spent waiting, a month or two of patience will serve you well and then you can decide for yourself. My point is, Magic Girl is real and almost here.
Or you can do what this impatient, anal retentive, worried OP (me) did and pay him a visit before you call your attorney. Heck, if you want out once the game has been produced I'm fairly confident you'll be able to make a decent return selling your game. Well deserved in my opinion considering the risk we've all taken.
** Your MG will not be in your gameroom in the next few months, but I don't think by end of 2015 is at all unrealistic. RAZA is being designed in parallel with MG so not a three year wait for that game either IMHO.

#4250 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Would anybody want to take over and step into his shoes at this point?

Sure. I even offered to do project management for John early on, since that's what I've done most of my career anyway, but at this point a PM would only go as far as to bring the schedule back on track. Won't help much if there's no money to push the project to completion.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.00
Playfield - Other
Hdmike mods
$ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Olathe, KS
6,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
There are 24288 posts in this topic. You are on page 85 of 486.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside