(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,471 posts
  • 928 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 174 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

streamberry (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,471 posts in this topic. You are on page 84 of 490.
#4151 9 years ago

Holy cow, pop bumpers and star rollovers!

This, my friends, is innovation!

#4152 9 years ago

Pops are not even mounted beneath. See how the skirts sit on the playfield. I am rooting for all of you guys!!!! I hope you all get what you paid for and it is amazing.

#4153 9 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

Holy cow, pop bumpers and star rollovers!

This, my friends, is innovation!

It's hard to be "retro" without including something retro. Pipe down before he changes direction and renames it FAZA (Futuristic Android Zombie Adventureland)

#4154 9 years ago

Is he doing RGB lights? It would be a shame if he's taking so long that the game will be dated by the time it comes out given the innovation thats happening elsewhere. It wasn't there when he started but is happening.

#4155 9 years ago

Ive offered to meet with Ice in Chicago as well.

#4156 9 years ago
Quoted from srmonte:

Pops are not even mounted beneath. See how the skirts sit on the playfield.

What does this mean, is that game not capable of playing with a real pinball?

#4157 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

What does this mean, is that game not capable of playing with a real pinball?

If you look, the rings aren't pushed upward, they are laying on the playfield. It just means the spring hasn't been installed underneath, or the yoke isn't connected. Srmonte is saying his guess is that there isn't even a coil bracket underneath.

#4158 9 years ago

since this is Feb., and the month of love (Valentines), I was hoping to see a lot more red hearts here. just saying

#4159 9 years ago

That standup target looks a bit strange with the art bleeding over the keyline. Otherwise it looks cool I guess. I like how he is reusing the TOTAN pop bumper "bolt" inserts here. Nice homage to the past. If I recall correctly, those inserts were a major holdup in CPR getting tooling finished on their TOTAN repro playfields.

#4160 9 years ago

Iceman, weren't you going to storm the gates?

Where's that fire in your belly from before?

That's the only way this is going to get resolved - through legal pressure. I honestly think Popaduik is a high-functioning autistic.

#4161 9 years ago

blog is updated, acknowledging "eod" tomorrow, but from the sounds of it we'll just get a few pics. But we all knew we weren't going to get anything more than that.

Expo '15 anyone?

#4162 9 years ago

MGC is in six weeks. That would be the perfect place for John to do a Magic Girl reveal. He could steal the show if it's a Lebowski type reveal. He was there last year with his KISS mock up... does anyone know if he is going this year?

#4163 9 years ago

Sorry if this is pedantic, but it isn't the skirts that are resting on the playfield, it is the rings. There probably isn't a mech under the playfield.

#4164 9 years ago

Damn, what a total communications cluster fuck this thing is.

#4165 9 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

Sorry if this is pedantic, but it isn't the skirts that are resting on the playfield, it is the rings. There probably isn't a mech under the playfield.

Sorry, I carried his misuse of the term to my post too.

#4166 9 years ago

there was plenty of comms while he was searching for backing thats the messed up part.

#4167 9 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

He could steal the show if it's a Lebowski type reveal.

He could roll out a solid gold flipping MG and I still wouldn't give him a dime of my money even if the price was 2K.

If this thread has shown me anything it's that no game, in my humble opinion, is worth the roller coaster ride you get on when you buy a Zidware game.

I wish you all the best but don't drink the cool-aid, even if it is purple and green and has lightning bolts.

#4168 9 years ago

Maybe he just doesn't want to ruin the surprise.

#4169 9 years ago
Quoted from DevilsTuner:

there was plenty of comms while he was searching for backing thats the messed up part.

It's kinda sad how many people the "he" could refer to. John? Kevin? Rick?

Everyone is happy to talk your ear off excitedly when they want you to open their wallet, but who's still there for you after they already have their money?

I couldn't sleep at night leaving people like that. Okay, building pinballs is hard. I think we all see that now. But telling people what's up isn't hard. Much easier to be patient knowing that "this mech didn't work, and I have to wait a month for new parts" instead of complete silence. But I've reached the point where if you don't say anything I just assume it's because things are f**ked and you don't want to admit it to anyone. Or, you're just petty. You can decide which person that applies to.

Ask anyone who's ever been on the receiving end of my projects if they're unhappy with the level of communication they get from me. I know it's not that damn hard.

#4170 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Everyone is happy to talk your ear off excitedly when they want you to open their wallet, but who's still there for you after they already have their money?
I couldn't sleep at night leaving people like that. Okay, building pinballs is hard. I think we all see that now. But telling people what's up isn't hard. Much easier to be patient knowing that "this mech didn't work, and I have to wait a month for new parts" instead of complete silence. But I've reached the point where if you don't say anything I just assume it's because things are f**ked and you don't want to admit it to anyone. Or, you're just petty. You can decide which person that applies to.
Ask anyone who's ever been on the receiving end of my projects if they're unhappy with the level of communication they get from me. I know it's not that damn hard.

I was just telling somebody I just don't understand a lot of these "pinball guys". You said it, how you sleep at night and live with yourself leaving people the way John and others have?

Have nothing to say? Yep, you know it's F**ked up.

#4171 9 years ago

So here's where we stand fellow Jpop supporters as far as I see it.

1) Where's the MONEY? What's left? Why can't you pay your vendors or anybody else?

-It's time to divulge the financial state of affairs John, that simple, all the dirty ugly facts. IF there is a way forward, to bridge the gap so to speak, to get these pinball machines made then there are still plenty of people to tap to help get there, assuming there is a F ing game plan and the numbers work.

2) Where's the HELP? We need details on how these pins are going to get built. Not continuous BS. If I find out there really isn't any "project manager" or other help involved, like he stated, because he can't or won't pay anybody then he's done and its over.

-Once again, what's the real story?

3) Yes we keep talking about this ad nauseum, but we need a F ing "timeline". Where is the TIMELINE, where is the project manager that was supposed be taking over all this stuff so John could focus on pinball. We are DONE if that person doesn't exist.

In summary, we need financial status, help status and a timeline.

Or we need to get OUR projects and OUR money in the hands of somebody else that can get the job done.

#4172 9 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Ive offered to meet with Ice in Chicago as well.

You gonna make him an offers he can't refuse?

#4173 9 years ago

I suggested back in October that John clear the air with an "Ask Me Anything" on his blog. Just let it rip, be honest and let's all move on together.

Instead we got 5 months of stalling and obfuscation, and apparently nowhere close to a playable game, let alone production.

#4174 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

where is the project manager that was supposed be taking over all this stuff

GREAT question. WTF happened to that guy. The "great meetings" he blogged about. 5 months ago?

#4175 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

You gonna make him an offers he can't refuse?

Ha good one Rai. No thought I may be able to help on the business side of things. Credentials can be shared in pm

#4176 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

GREAT question. WTF happened to that guy. The "great meetings" he blogged about. 5 months ago?

I'm just guessing here, or maybe not, but my feeling is that he can't pay anybody.

Nobody to get this pin from A to B and everything that is involved?

Come on, John CAN'T do it and he's either to STUPID to not pay somebody OR he doesn't have any $$$ left which I find hard to believe.

#4177 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

OR he doesn't have any $$$ left which I find hard to believe.

Not that hard to believe.

#4178 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

There is no account manager, no project manager, no vendor "extra muscle". There never was. I'm sick of his lies and excuses.

John can shove his final art reveal and his monkey topper video up his ass. There better be a video of a working pinball machine tomorrow by midnight.

#4179 9 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

There is no account manager, no project manager, no vendor "extra muscle". There never was. I'm sick of his lies and excuses.
John can shove his final art reveal and his monkey topper video up his ass. There better be a video of a working pinball machine tomorrow by midnight.

There won't be any video of a working pinball machine tomorrow because it doesn't work Chris.

That's true Rob but based on these numbers I figure it breaks down like this:

4 years

Salary $300,000
Rent $100,000
Artwork $100,000 (who knows, that's all he's really done)
Labor $0 (He won't pay anybody)
Equip $50,000 (You know he paid for the best with our $$)
Parts $50,000 (Doubtful because there really isn't much of anything)

He's raised over $1,000,000, where did the rest of it go?

#4180 9 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

There better be a video of a working pinball machine tomorrow by midnight.

Or what?

#4181 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The number is probably quite a bit bigger. We know its "3000 hours" because he's said so. $50/hr is $150k, and it may very well be much more than that. $25k a year for 4 years seems real low actually, even as a freelance, seeing how involved the artist is.

Aurich might have a better idea what an artist of Yeti's level might cost.

Other expenses:

Patents & legal (probably a stupid number even if the lawyer is a pin head)

r&d stuff, boards, etc.

He's spent so much time showing those cabinets... I can imagine the expense of developing those cabinets is probably off the charts.

Mystery Programmer

#4182 9 years ago

I'm going to go out on a limb here... There's little to no money left...the guy can't do anything in a timely fashion but u expect him to be able to handle money like a guru? It's that simple

#4183 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

The number is probably quite a bit bigger. We know its "3000 hours" because he's said so. $50/hr is $150k, and it may very well be much more than that.
Other expenses:
Patents & legal (probably a stupid number even if the lawyer is a pin head)
r&d stuff, boards, etc.
He's spent so much time showing those cabinets... I can imagine the expense of developing those cabinets is probably off the charts.
Mystery Programmer

Ok so let's try and hone in on this. The "mystery programmer" I believe is also gone and somebody else probably has stepped in for a "free pin". Zero cost

Patents, ok, add another $50k of money flushed down the toilet.

Add another $50k just to create the cabs, but why?

As for the artwork, please tell me why we don't have a pinball machine that actually plays first before the artwork is finalized? If more than $100k was spent on art then he should be shot.

So that's $600k cost, where's the rest?

#4184 9 years ago

Proto typing parts over and over is large amounts of wasted cash..

#4185 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

As for the artwork, please tell me why we don't have a pinball machine that actually plays first before the artwork is finalized? If more than $100k was spent on art then he should be shot.

yeah its insane we're talking about a game with finished artwork and can't be played.

#4186 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Proto typing parts over and over is large amounts of wasted cash..

Not if you don't pay for it? Actually redesigning basic shit is more wasted time than anything else.

GOAL #1 Get a pinball machine out the door. Tweak shit later! Who cares about a redesigned star post because it doesn't meet the Jpop standard. WTF, how about a pin.

#4187 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I just don't have enough context to really be able to say. Is he paying him a fixed rate per job, or some kind of hourly deal, or did they work out something in between, have him on some kind of retainer?

He's obviously doing not only a lot of work (3 pins!) but a shitload of revisions, and depending on the contract that could play out a lot of different ways. It's not clear to me when Zombie Yeti stepped in either, because he wasn't the original MG artist, does anyone know?

I can tell you this, because I actually follow Zombie Yeti on Instagram, he's still doing other client work, it's not like John has him hired as some full time guy who's doing nothing but Zidware.

My guess is Ice's estimate is on the high side, but I don't have the facts to really be able to validate that in any way. Generally speaking this kind of freelance illustration is less costly that people tend to think, though it's obviously more expensive than some cheap asses want to pay.

#4188 9 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Ha good one Rai. No thought I may be able to help on the business side of things. Credentials can be shared in pm

BTW The Godfather is one if my all time favorite movies, but number 3 was so bad I can't believe it was from the same director and major actors.

#4189 9 years ago

Ice... The cost to buy the parts for 25 or 50 what ever the number of magic girls is, the labor to pay to build them, the tooling to mass produce the parts, the boards, wiring harness, ect... There's thousands of dollars needed for this stuff... Thinking that he can stop in his tracks where he is at, and just start building isn't reality...it will take long lead times for all the product to be made.. God help us... Assembly probably is the easy part.

#4190 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

yeah its insane we're talking about a game with finished artwork and can't be played.

Apparently can't play it, AND he keeps F ing with the artwork which should be finalized last anyhow. Just a diversion.

At this point its ALL about the numbers, what's left, what's it gonna take and who else is gonna get involved to get us our pins.

He CAN'T do it himself. Need a plan, budget or stick a fork in him.

#4191 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Ice... The cost to buy the parts for 25 or 50 what ever the number of magic girls is, the labor to pay to build them, the tooling to mass produce the parts, the boards, wiring harness, ect... There's thousands of dollars needed for this stuff... Thinking that he can stop in his tracks where he is at, and just start building isn't reality...it will take long lead times for all the pro it to be made.. God help us

Yep, where is that money coming from?

He has clusterfucked this thing beyond belief because he has blown so much money on shit that doesn't matter and won't spend it on help and people that can get this thing out the door.

Stupid.

#4192 9 years ago

Jpop just needs to get magic girl done; I can't believe it is not finished yet

#4193 9 years ago

As much as I wanted to see RAZA revealed this month, it should have been all hands on deck to get MG out the door, repair his reputation and sell the additional 25 MGs to raise capital. That MG is sitting unfinished is incredible.

#4194 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

As much as I wanted to see RAZA revealed this month, it should have been all hands on deck to get MG out the door, repair his reputation and sell the additional 25 MGs to raise capital. That MG is sitting unfinished is incredible.

There are no "hands on deck". It's just John working 20 hours a day 7 days a week doing who knows what.

#4195 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It's just John working 20 hours a day 7 days a week doing who knows what.

Lurking on Pinside.

John, come on dude, time to get your shit together. I know I've deluded myself even thinking that a February "reveal" might be an actual flipping game. That we apparently don't have a playing game to be shown, no ball rolling around, there are going to be some TOUGH questions and heat coming down now. The period of stalling and obfuscation is over.

#4196 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I know I've deluded myself even thinking that a February "reveal" might be an actual flipping game.

There isn't an MG actual flipping game. RAZA flipping is fantasy at this point.

I'm guessing that the play field isn't even "playable" on MG. Just an artwork overlay.

#4197 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

There won't be any video of a working pinball machine tomorrow because it doesn't work Chris.
That's true Rob but based on these numbers I figure it breaks down like this:
4 years
Salary $300,000
Rent $100,000
Labor $0 (He won't pay anybody)
Equip $50,000 (You know he paid for the best with our $$)
Parts $50,000 (Doubtful because there really isn't much of anything)
He's raised over $1,000,000, where did the rest of it go?

I know for a fact some of your numbers are way off

#4198 9 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I know for a fact your numbers are way off

You don't count, you visited Jpop and were obviously affected by the spores.

#4199 9 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Great. So everything is A-OK and we are totally wrong. Can't wait to see our games.

#4200 9 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Enlighten me? What's left? Spent it all?

Why can't he pay anybody?

You went there and know that there isn't a playable MG.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mclean, VA
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation
Rubber/Silicone
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation
Decorations
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements
Pinball Machine
$ 49.99
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Corona, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 24,471 posts in this topic. You are on page 84 of 490.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6mg-raza-and-aiw%E2%80%A6/page/84 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.