(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,544 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 80 of 491.
#3951 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

That's not accurate. They self-financed the game until it was finished. Then they took orders as they went to production, first customers started receiving them 6 months later. They had a completed game at shows, flyers and promo videos made when they started taking money.
Big difference between that and sending money in for an idea years in advance.

Amen.

#3952 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

But hey, Twitter quarterly earnings were a big IF last week and they just paid for all three pins for me after they announced. Thanks Costolo

Imagine if all the preorder money was in Twitter...

#3953 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I don't consider the WOOLY thing a pre-order in the same sense. There is a finished game being demoed and they are looking for 100 orders to fund production. That is more the Spooky/AMH model.
I think that model can still work.
The one that is broken is the "I have an idea for a great pinball, can't tell you when you'll get it or what it will be exactly since it will likely change a shit ton over the next 3+ years, but please pay me now so I can make it and I'll let you know when I'm done".

Just like predator...

#3954 9 years ago

Hope these will be built soon for the owners.....

#3955 9 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Imagine if all the preorder money was in Twitter...

Imagine it was in Eastman Kodak...

#3956 9 years ago

Man the artwork looks freaking amazing.

#3957 9 years ago

Hey you guys check his FB page.New pic of play field detail.A newton ball shot with some stand ups

#3958 9 years ago
Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

Hey you guys check his FB page.New pic of play field detail.A newton ball shot with some stand ups

JP1.JPGJP1.JPG
#3959 9 years ago

Thanks Silverunicorn I couldn't get it to upload

#3960 9 years ago

Hmmm, I see "Tiger Saw" has morphed into "Lion Saw". Never understood Tiger Saw, maybe Lion Saw will make more sense...

#3961 9 years ago

You guys must be stoked, its looking good .After all that this has got to be considered good news.
Art package is impressive.

#3962 9 years ago

With the cut out in the plastic, I wonder if there is a ball resting against the newton ball that goes up to hit a target under the plastic. I know people don't like all the purple, but I think the colors look great and the lit up plastics look great.

#3963 9 years ago
Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

I don't think that looks right ... Maybe he just staged the photo as a tribute to "tiger saw"

You can see the cut out in the timber is for 3 stand up targets, not a Newton ball. A Newton ball will move if it's mounted like that.

rd

#3964 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

You can see the cut out in the timber is for 3 stand up targets, not a Newton ball. A Newton ball will move if it's mounted like that.

I assumed that the ball had a welded post under it, so that it was screwed in from underneath.

#3965 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I assumed that the ball had a welded post under it, so that it was screwed in from underneath.

Either way it doesn't look like the play field was cut with it in mind.

#3966 9 years ago

Knock...Knock..

541641_918369601540914_6137930874797739383_n.png541641_918369601540914_6137930874797739383_n.png
#3967 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Newton balls do have a post on them. However they are usually mounted through a post sized hole in the PF. If it was mounted on a slot with a washer above and below, it'll move. Hence why I thought it was a mock up.

image.jpgimage.jpg

rd

#3968 9 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Either way it doesn't look like the play field was cut with it in mind.

Agreed. But remember, the playfield layout continues to "evolve". John probably saw some unused real estate and figured out a way to use it without major modifications. Hopefully, if he likes the way the feature plays, he will modify the CNC file to clean up the mounting.

#3969 9 years ago

New Blog Posts on the Magic Girl blog with a link to some pretty awesome lookin playfield feature pics....

#3970 9 years ago

Nice! Good to see more and more info coming out for you guys!

Hopefully it is something you can share soon.

Chris

#3971 9 years ago

Fattrain can you post a few pics here for us?

#3972 9 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Fattrain can you post a few pics here for us?

He could, but then he would have to kill us.

#3973 9 years ago

It looks beautiful!

Post edited by jlm33: not talking about the Knocker of course

#3974 9 years ago

I like everything I see except that newton ball, looks like someone took out a stand-up target and just shoved a newton ball in there as an afterthought, I HOPE that changes....

#3975 9 years ago

All I want is to see a playing game and get some feedback from real players.

#3976 9 years ago

Yeah, the close up shot of a playfield feature is nice and all but it's more of the same. Zero progress. Same old same old.

Show a video of the game flipping. That's what people need to see!

#3977 9 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Yeah, the close up shot of a playfield feature is nice and all but it's more of the same. Zero progress. Same old same old.
Show a video of the game flipping. That's what people need to see!

I disagree, it is something. We are seeing areas of the pin that make it seem a lot closer to completion. That's a good thing.

#3978 9 years ago

The "lebowski" MG reveal was scheduled for Dec 17th I believe, so we're approaching 2 months past that date with only bread crumbs.

Not sure how this bodes for our RAZAs.

I have to go back to a quote of Iceman's, that nothing we've said or done affects how John does anything. These breadcrumbs are how he wants to unveil his games, no matter how late they are and pissed off his customers are.

Anyone buying into future games will at least know what they're buying into going forward. When I came into raza, these things weren't known.

#3979 9 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

I disagree, it is something. We are seeing areas of the pin that make it seem a lot closer to completion. That's a good thing.

We've already seen the prototype machines with the crazy-glued ramps. All this is, is close-ups of those. He is literally trickling out close-ups of the *same thing everyone has already seen*, albeit not close up. These aren't progress shots.

#3980 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

The "lebowski" MG reveal was scheduled for Dec 17th I believe, so we're approaching 2 months past that date with only bread crumbs.
Not sure how this bodes for our RAZAs.
I have to go back to a quote of Iceman's, that nothing we've said or done affects how John does anything. These breadcrumbs are how he wants to unveil his games, no matter how late they are and pissed off his customers are.
Anyone buying into future games will at least know what they're buying into going forward. When I came into raza, these things weren't known.

Ya, it's a cautionary tale for sure. i think AIW will get off the ground judging from these photos. But I have decided I'd rather have 4-5 pins today than pay 21k (Canadian $) for AIW and possibly wait 3 or 4 years with no info, hoping the project is funded by games 4 and 5... it's all too big a gamble for me.

#3981 9 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

Ya, it's a cautionary tale for sure. i think AIW will get off the ground judging from these photos. But I have decided I'd rather have 4-5 pins today than pay 21k (Canadian $) for AIW and possibly wait 3 or 4 years with no info, hoping the project is funded by games 4 and 5... it's all too big a gamble for me.

What if I were to tell you that AIW will have a Liger Saw?

#3982 9 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

What if I were to tell you that AIW will have a Liger Saw?

That's what happens when you lay a TOM Playfield on top of a MG playfield.

These things will breed!

rd

#3983 9 years ago

Pretty much my favorite animal

#3984 9 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Pretty much my favorite animal

Me too....

liger_queen.jpgliger_queen.jpg

#3985 9 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Me too....

liger_queen.jpg 96 KB

I like that girl's personality...

#3986 9 years ago

It really seems odd to have a newton ball in a stand-up slot. I can't think of any advantage this design would have over just drilling the holes needed for whatever posts you would use to secure it in place. Like Rotodave said, if it's just a peg with washers on both sides, it will move and probably end up jacking up the stand-ups next to it. So either John has redesigned the newton ball to require a slot for some reason, or the playfield was designed for 3 stand-ups, and the newton ball was added after the fact in some post-whitewood tinkering. I wouldn't be surprised by either, but if it is the latter, that's not what you want to be showing off in great detail on your "almost finished game" I would think. I still for the life of me can't think of any advantage a redesigned "Slot" newton-ball would have.

#3987 9 years ago
Quoted from Sjsilver:

It really seems odd to have a newton ball in a stand-up slot. I can't think of any advantage this design would have over just drilling the holes needed for whatever posts you would use to secure it in place. Like Rotodave said, if it's just a peg with washers on both sides, it will move and probably end up jacking up the stand-ups next to it. So either John has redesigned the newton ball to require a slot for some reason, or the playfield was designed for 3 stand-ups, and the newton ball was added after the fact in some post-whitewood tinkering. I wouldn't be surprised by either, but if it is the latter, that's not what you want to be showing off in great detail on your "almost finished game" I would think. I still for the life of me can't think of any advantage a redesigned "Slot" newton-ball would have.

Maybe it's a magnet that switches polarity

#3988 9 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

We've already seen the prototype machines with the crazy-glued ramps. All this is, is close-ups of those. He is literally trickling out close-ups of the *same thing everyone has already seen*, albeit not close up. These aren't progress shots.

That's sure what it looks like. Did he even do a flipping whitewood? It seems like he just skipped straight to the artwork and then realized he'd better figure out a game to go with it.

I'm actually shocked he's using standard standup targets, and not something he reengineered from scratch.

#3989 9 years ago

I'm actually shocked he's using standard standup targets, and not something he reengineered from scratch.

#3990 9 years ago

Hey retro_p, do you actually know something other people don't since you're downvoting anyone who says these are just pics of what we've already seen?

#3991 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Hey retro_p, do you actually know something other people don't since you're downvoting anyone who says these are just pics of what we've already seen?

Just shocked by all the negativity... we've seen pictures of 3 full prototypes sitting in a row, tons of gorgeous art, and indications that he's been working on a production path. I think these are going to be amazing games. Sorry for playing negativity police, but it gets a little old.

#3992 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I don't think that looks right ... Maybe he just staged the photo as a tribute to "tiger saw"
rd

Not if it's an adjustable newton ball !!!!! Hmm, that would be an industry first. You can adjust outlane posts on any other game but there has never been an adjustable newton before.

#3993 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinballmike217:

Not if it's an adjustable newton ball !!!!! Hmm, that would be an industry first. You can adjust outlane posts on any other game but there has never been an adjustable newton before.

I hadn't considered that. I guess a 3 position plate would lock it down and allow it to be moved, though I wonder what advantage of moving the Newton would add to gameplay, especially if there is a ball behind it.

#3994 9 years ago
Quoted from retro_p:

Just shocked by all the negativity... we've seen pictures of 3 full prototypes sitting in a row, tons of gorgeous art, and indications that he's been working on a production path. I think these are going to be amazing games. Sorry for playing negativity police, but it gets a little old.

It's not negativity, it's realism. Sorry man, but it is what it is. If Jpop doesn't want negativity he can solve that by actually doing what he promised, it's not the people in the forum that are the problem.

#3995 9 years ago
Quoted from retro_p:

You're shocked?

#3996 9 years ago
Quoted from retro_p:

Obviously the negativity is simply a reaction to extended timelines. Game was announced 4 years ago, deposits put down 3.5 years ago, 2 years go by before we see a set of prototype artwork options. We've seen the same 3 prototype cabinets for the better part of the last year, but only from a distance, with occasional closeups of selective playfield sections, parts of unfinished backglass art outlines, and if we're lucky a brief glimpse of the playfield w/ramps. What we see looks great and progress is there, but it's been years in the making.

#3997 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It seems like he just skipped straight to the artwork and then realized he'd better figure out a game to go with it.

While I find this pretty funny, I also wonder how far off it is.

#3998 9 years ago

Any MG owners who haven't done so, check out the live link to the sounds and FX, they are pretty sweet. With Williams vet Rob B doing the sounds, Clearly Jpop has a depth of vision that far exceeds merely the art package. Yes, I paid for this thing when Reagan was in office, but after all I've seen (in person and posted) I think patience over pitchforks is the better path here.

#3999 9 years ago

I like the sounds based on the short clips. How they tie it all together should be pretty good.

Chris

#4000 9 years ago

That is one hour I will never get back.

Beautiful artwork at least what has been revealed. I have always liked his art packages.

All the ramps and mechanisms in the back of the PF look like they will be very cool.

Look how much the cabinet was modified to accommodate these.

Someone should take all pics from this thread and start it over. IMO

I really hope these come to life because I want to play every last one of them.

JPOP may be slow but he is one hell of a pinball enthusiast with great ideas.

All the best just wish it was a shorter read. "I have no horse in this race" unless I win the powerball then I would like to buy at least one of each

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 80 of 491.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6mg-raza-and-aiw%E2%80%A6/page/80 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.