(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,316 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 166 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,696 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sucks (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 78 of 487.
#3851 5 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

John is posting updates on the blog.

Did I count right? 13 different signs to be on the playfield pointing to the toys and features?!

#3852 5 years ago

Looking forward to seeing something other than art.

#3853 5 years ago

I like the colors, they remind me of the incredible hulk pallete

#3854 5 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

I like the colors, they remind me of the incredible hulk pallete

#3855 5 years ago

Is there a sign pointing out when the prototype will be finished?

#3856 5 years ago

image-151.jpg

#3857 5 years ago

There's probably 100x the parts in a Rolls.

#3858 5 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Doubtful. A car is a car. If it's got TVs and refrigerators in the back, it'll require more stuff. But otherwise ...

Same as a pin. A TZ doesn't have 100x the parts of a Vacation America. It has more, but not 100x. My guess would be 1.5x.

rd.

#3859 5 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

rolls are hand built by a few people. The interior alone is a site to see

#3860 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

image-151.jpg 57 KB

So after 48 months and counting, I guess this is gonna be one helluva pinball machine!

#3861 5 years ago

There is no possible way that MG, RAZA, or AIW will be so much better than the newer Sterns that you could even compare the difference between them to the difference between a rolls and a Toyota.

#3862 5 years ago

The way it seems now they wont be much better than a street level Gottlieb.

#3863 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

There is no possible way that MG, RAZA, or AIW will be so much better than the newer Sterns that you could even compare the difference between them to the difference between a rolls and a Toyota.

I agree. Jpop could lecture you for hours about all the patents and redesigned parts, the endless revisions and "baking", but in the end will the experience be that much different? I actually can't answer that because I haven't played the game, but I suspect the answer is not very. The LCD will be the big featured item, but those will be very common in a couple of years. Art is art.... just paint on wood, some will like it more than others.

Will the machine scream that it is worth double or triple something like my MET, which has real decent pinball art?

#3864 5 years ago

You know, everybody and their mother and their dog has the right but not the obligation to post every clever thought in their head, particularly those who aren't invested.

Man, its so tiresome.

#3865 5 years ago
Quoted from dmesserly:

You know, everybody and their mother and their dog has the right but not the obligation to post every clever thought in their head, particularly those who aren't invested.
Man, its so tiresome.

Dangnab all this pinball discussion... on a pinball discussion forum of all places! Someone should write a sternly worded letter.

#3866 5 years ago
Quoted from dmesserly:

Man, its so tiresome.

So go read your secret blog and stay out of this thread. Because the rest of us find the constant "you're not in on this so keep it to yourself" litany tiring too.

#3867 5 years ago
Quoted from dmesserly:

Man, its so tiresome.

Waiting for my game with no deadline is definitely tiresome.

#3868 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Waiting for my game with no deadline is definitely tiresome.

I agree. I'm tired of waiting. I'm unhappy with the whole thing and it's a long way from over.

But I'm sick of the passive aggressive schadenfreude from everyone else not involved.

Sure I can ignore this and that's probably the right thing to do. So I'll go hide in the secret blog as I was so wisely advised to do.

#3869 5 years ago
Quoted from dmesserly:

But I'm sick of the passive aggressive schadenfreude from everyone else not involved.

Can't say I've seen anything "passive" in this thread...

#3870 5 years ago

My point is that they can make a Rolls in 6 months and it is 100x more complicated than a pinball machine. I'll remember to explain it better next time...

#3871 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I agree as well. The difference is there won't be 1 million Toyota/Jpop pins being produced.

The idea of the 50 MG's (originally 13, 17, then 25 and now 50) and 125 RAZA's was appealing to the collector that represented a truly LIMITED pinball machine from a top pinball designer that was/is supposed to be taking pinball to "another level" of design and innovation compared to the "toyota pins" that were being produced at the time.

A lot has changed over the last several years obviously and a lot remains to be seen, but I would say that prices have certainly come UP to Jpop levels, if it ever gets made, will the supposed Rolls Royce hold its value?

#3872 5 years ago

Wow is MG really at 50? I knew it was going up, but didn't realize it was that high. I mean, I'm cool with it, I think super limited pins are silly, the more for people to play the better. But if I was in at 13 and it turned to 50 I wonder if I'd be so magnanimous. I'd like to think so, but I can see how that might get buyers pretty salty.

#3873 5 years ago

CAP-Gold-Star-Attachment-v1.png

#3874 5 years ago

if I was in at 13, 17 or 25, I would be praying for 50 right about now, so as to get enough capital to build these things! I really don't think in a world market any of these low numbers will make a huge difference on resale values but then again I think the more out there to play is the way to go as well!

#3875 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I disagree, the mechs and toys I've seen are better than what I've ever seen on any Stern.
This is why I'm excited about these project.
Not so much the limited quantities.

#3876 5 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

if I was in at 13, 17 or 25, I would be praying for 50 right about now, so as to get enough capital to build these things! I really don't think in a world market any of these low numbers will make a huge difference on resale values but then again I think the more out there to play is the way to go as well!

100% Bill

Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I disagree, the mechs and toys I've seen are better than what I've ever seen on any Stern.
This is why I'm excited about these project.
Not so much the limited quantities.

100% PDX, if there were 500 "LE's" it wouldn't cost 10k either

#3877 5 years ago

Update on blog, some assembly details laid out.

#3878 5 years ago

I'm happy to get any blog update, but my first thought was.... "More empty cabinets!"

I'm haunted by how long other games have taken from seeing PLAYABLE prototypes to production (Predator, WOZ, TBL, MMR), knowing we've never seen a playable game.

Any guesses how long it will take from seeing a playable game to production?

Seems like we have a loooooong ways to go, despite today's update.

#3879 5 years ago

But more empty cabs including a RAZA and MG cab side by side. And the RAZA cab finally has the port hole cut out in the side.... in a factory looking setting... for what that's worth.

#3880 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I'm happy to get any blog update, but my first thought was.... "More empty cabinets!"
I'm haunted by how long other games have taken from seeing PLAYABLE prototypes to production (Predator, WOZ, TBL, MMR), knowing we've never seen a playable game.
Any guesses how long it will take from seeing a playable game to production?
Seems like we have a loooooong ways to go, despite today's update.

Whatever happened to "The Labowski (as Jpop likes to spell it) reveal"? Lebowski went over like gangbusters cuz it was playable. Why won't he show the games actually playing?

#3881 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Why won't he show the games actually playing?

errrr.... cause there's not one ya' think.

#3882 5 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

errrr.... cause there's not one ya' think.

That's prob the reason...but - if that's NOT the reason....time to show off so people know it's not just art and foam.

#3883 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That's prob the reason...but - if that's NOT the reason....time to show off so people know it's not just art and foam.

Dude, be fair, it's more than art and foam. It's art and hot glued plastic now.

#3884 5 years ago

What's gonna happen when these awesome things have rules like all his other games? Has he even hinted on rule design? Everyone is so focused on layout. All his other games have nice layouts and generic rules.

#3885 5 years ago
Quoted from DevilsTuner:

What's gonna happen when these awesome things have rules like all his other games? Has he even hinted on rule design? Everyone is so focused on layout. All his other games have nice layouts and generic rules.

Perhaps he's inverting the Stern model.

Code is already 100% finished for JPOP 1, 2 and 3, but all will ship with incomplete hardware.

#3886 5 years ago

HAHAHAHAHA

That costed me my morning cofee, lmao, .

#3887 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

A lot has changed over the last several years obviously and a lot remains to be seen, but I would say that prices have certainly come UP to Jpop levels

I'm not so certain. For more than one reason there are fewer 5-figure games today than there were 2-3 years ago, which is the JPop pricing range.

#3888 5 years ago

sadly even though I own every JPoP title at the moment, I don't think I could ever afford most of those, and the only one that appeals to me is MG, which is so limited the chances of me even getting the opportunity to realize I don't have the money to buy one are slim... sigh

I still love my JPoP titles... ToM, ToTAN, CV, and yes, even SW:EP1

#3889 5 years ago
Quoted from DevilsTuner:

There was a thread recently where someone posted an interview with JPOP and he talked about the rules. I think he said that the way his games play are sort of his style and part of what makes his games his. I might be wrong though because I was kind of half listening in the background while I worked.

#3890 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballpete:

I think he said that the way his games play are sort of his style and part of what makes his games his.

Considering rules on his games are generally criticized for being shallow, that isn't good.

I did talk to him some time ago asking about programmers. He gave me his usual non-answer, he also minimized the role of the programmer and said it was his job as designer to come up with the rules. Obviously on Pinside we see the programmer's role a little differently.

Considering at this point we're praying that we get to play these games at all, and that they get produced for their customers, I think the rules thing is just something we're going to have to accept as being the weakest part of the games.

#3891 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Considering rules on his games are generally criticized for being shallow, that isn't good.

I think it's a vocal minority....all of his games are still desirable - if the gameplay wasn't fun and appealing, no one would want TOM, CV, TOTAN....but they still do! I love playing my TOM and CV - I have no problem with the rules at all. They compliment the design perfectly.

#3892 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I think it's a vocal minority....all of his games are still desirable - if the gameplay wasn't fun and appealing, no one would want TOM, CV, TOTAN....but they still do! I love playing my TOM and CV - I have no problem with the rules at all. They compliment the design perfectly.

I love my JPoP games but the rules are lacking, does not make them any less fun though

#3893 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Considering rules on his games are generally criticized for being shallow, that isn't good..

I actually like the rules in his games. I enjoy knowing what I am trying to achieve and can actually reach the goals. Too many games with rules so deep no one fully understands them or else the top goal is essentially unobtainable. His games generally seem to focus on "fun" pinball.

#3894 5 years ago

I'm not going to complain too much about the depth of these new games, I certainly knew what I was getting into regarding that. I would hope that the rules would account for 20 years of pinball evolution, but if I end up with another TOM that would be ok.

The main thing is the games need to be completed and delivered to the customer.

#3895 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

The main thing is the games need to be completed and delivered to the customer.

Amen brotha' frolic.

#3896 5 years ago

That Magic Girl cabinet looks awesome!

#3897 5 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

I'm not so certain. For more than one reason there are fewer 5-figure games today than there were 2-3 years ago, which is the JPop pricing range.

I was thinking more along the lines of JJP and Stern LE's but I agree that everything else is floating down.

Which should make a 17k MG interesting. I wonder if another 25 people will pay that? I guess if it looks like it's actually going to be made and awesome looking it's possible

#3898 5 years ago

I'm sure MG is going to be epic, and some people $17k isn't an issue. I swear I was at this one guys mansion where he had a room that was a full Irish Pub complete with beer taps, whatever you would see in a high end pub was in this room. And just as a decoration he had a brand new or classic Harley Davidson bike and I mean a high end bike. It was not for anything but decoration. So there are people that could buy $17k pins and not even blink.

But to me, that represents Tron pro, IM VE and STLE (three actual pins new delivered).

#3899 5 years ago

I'm in! that's about 21k for us Canadians! Dollar sucking wind!

#3900 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

That Magic Girl cabinet looks awesome!

I agree. I think it is the better of the 2 cabinets.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 78 of 487.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside