(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,288 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 168 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,694 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png
B3F72CE8-1FCA-4E93-9994-CCC068D8F4C2 (resized).jpeg
7A86BB52-E1F5-4086-955C-86A6383C27D3 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

21 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24288 posts in this topic. You are on page 77 of 486.
#3801 4 years ago

Right, what Marcus said. Not sure why it should be anyone else's problem that he promised refundable deposits that he apparently had no capital to back up when the games took way way longer than projected.

Anyways, I might just go ahead and drain this thread now that I've seen some Alice art...that was always my primary interest because I never had any intention of spending 20k on a pin, and Zombies are so over-done at this point... was bored with zombies before TWD was even announced.

#3802 4 years ago

I wore too many hats on AMH and certain aspects of the game are weaker for it.

We are having a meeting tomorrow to discuss who does what on next game. I will probably do dots, but the game art has to be the licencor approved artist so NOT me!

#3803 4 years ago

I think being unlicense is the main thing that held back AMH. I worry about JJP's game from Pat. People say it will sell as an unlicensed theme fine...I just don't think it will but we will find out.

#3804 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Dude, you "got it done". No apologies. Learn and make things better, but I believe on that particular game it needed to be a one man show. Kept costs low and never had to wait for someone else. It will forever be the first boutique pinball release. A historic accomplishment.

#3805 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Dude, you "got it done". No apologies. Learn and make things better, but I believe on that particular game it needed to be a one man show. Kept costs low and never had to wait for someone else. It will forever be the first boutique pinball release. A historic accomplishment.

Totally agree. Of course with the first one under his belt, Ben can look at the things that can be improved upon and tweak the next one(s).
I'm a sucker for nice playfield art. If Jpop's artist had done the PF for AMH, I'll bet shallow people like me would have bought one!

Ben: keep up the great work!

#3806 4 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Yeah, but I'd expect that if John's games ever actually got done and weren't limited quantities, he'd sell a lot more than AMH did/does.

"IF" my Aunty had a knob she'd be my uncle.

#3807 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

We are having a meeting tomorrow to discuss who does what on next game. I will probably do dots, but the game art has to be the licencor approved artist so NOT me!

sweet. who is doing programming? if you need someone with pic32/propeller c/c++ etc experience...

#3809 4 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

Translites look good,
time to change the one on the game page on pinside?
https://www.facebook.com/208420082535873/photos/a.211017292276152.57948.208420082535873/913877745323433/?type=1

RetroZombieTranslite.jpg 49 KB

What is JPop's obsession with acid purple and green?

#3810 4 years ago

It's the empty cabinets again

Today is Feb 1st. So the countdown is on for February which is the new reveal month. It was originally January for RAZA. Magic Girl was originally December.

Something tells me in 28 days we'll still be here wondering when we'll see the games.

#3811 4 years ago

Yeah he needs to have a fully functional playing magic girl at this point; that game is over 2 years due

#3812 4 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

Translites look good,
https://www.facebook.com/208420082535873/photos/a.211017292276152.57948.208420082535873/913877745323433/?type=1

What is with the different art on the cabinet head? Is one a newer design, or is one intended for each side?

#3813 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

What is with the different art on head? Is one design newer, or is one intended for the other side?

He's had a lot of options created. Speaks back to the point of the amount of waste that is going on, since those options take an artist a significant amount of time.

I believe there are multiple cabinet side art options as well. This would all be fine and good if the games weren't so over schedule.

#3814 4 years ago

Here's some cabinet views from pinball news, completely different cabinet sides have been fully painted. Not sure what will make the final game.

I've also noticed that the Alien on the playfield is now in robes, so I'm guessing the muscular version of him will be 86'd.

28.jpg

27.jpg

#3815 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

He's had a lot of options created. Speaks back to the point of the amount of waste that is going on, since those options take an artist a significant amount of time.
I believe there are multiple cabinet side art options as well. This would all be fine and good if the games weren't so over schedule.

Yeah, but once JPOP finalizes the RAZA head artwork, and approves the RAZA cabinet art and has finally ok'd the RAZA translite .... and is double sure the hardware works together with the whole package, well ,,, oh hell you know he is going to need another round of changes on the artwork. A few tweaks, but it shouldn't take him much longer. Right?

but one day ... (in my best Gandolf sounding voice) IT WILL BE DONE !!!. and when it is, there will be much rejoicing, angels blowing trumpets and children playing in the streets. You want to know the best news? The one important take-away? come closer ... closer .. much closer .... closer still ...... don't be afraid my little ones .... press your nose right against the glass.... JPOP will then be freed up to use his mad mechanical design, electrical design and programming skills, to complete the balance of RAZA. And then he will don his manufacturer's cap, and can have them out in a jiffy. ... and maybe

Sorry guys, I don't see this happening. I feel like I am a witnessing a pyramid scheme. I don't have all the pieces of the puzzle, but something doesn't smell right. Usually when something doesn't smell right, it isn't. And even if it isn't, and you are picking up mixed signals, it is best just to stay away. So I say this smells funny!

..Money has flowed into projects X,Y and Z. RAZA project alone is currently 300%+ beyond schedule (four years vs one) and if you realistically add two years to complete design of this plus the other two games, there will be 500%+ overrun in schedule and design budget. I think it is safe to see the trend for the other two games is following right along the same trajectory so suppose everything is 500% over budget at the end of the day. Think about this guy is ready to start buying parts and building three different games. He doesn't want to use a dumb old factory or subcontract it out. He rather do it himself so that it will be done right. This kind of poor planning and execution doesn't work in the real world.

I'll admit it. I am drawn to this thread like a moth to the light. I embrace it and revel in its every nuance, outrage uttered, vile insult, trolling question, piece of real information. Package ingredients - gossip, rumors, back stabbing, bitch slapping, F&CKFEST!, innuendo and ever so subtle subterfuge.

Comments welcomed from following groups - Unaware, innocent, cool-aide drinkers, business analysts, armchair quarterbacks, praisers, posers, brown-nosers, butt-wipers, CIA, FBI, SPCA, SCUBA, NASA, pinheads, pinballers, PINSIDERS, investors, buyers, suppliers, uninterested parties, rabble-rousers, lurkers, wanna-be's, disinterested parties, scallywags, scoundrels, cut throats, saints, nitpickers, hombres ....

#3816 4 years ago

here's the translite at expo, for reference. So in 4 months we went from googly eyes to evil eyes.

29.jpg

#3817 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

here's the translite at expo, for reference. So in 4 months we went from googly eyes to evil eyes.

I do think the evil eyes look better.

#3818 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I do think the evil eyes look better.

I would agree, the googly eyes were way too Mars Attacks and ridiculous.

#3819 4 years ago

But it softened the comedy of the translite, which makes the glue gun odd, which was a leftover from Ben.

With all this "baking", it's hard to let the little things slide.

#3820 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

10932292_939448822754404_1348466804_n.jpg

#3821 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Here's some cabinet views from pinball news,

I normally like the artwork on JPOP's games, but that cabinet art is a little weak(in the first pic).

#3822 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Add a comma and the question answers itself:

"What is JPop's obsession with acid, purple and green?"

#3823 4 years ago

Now that is more like it.

Quoted from Aurich:

10932292_939448822754404_1348466... 80 KB

#3824 4 years ago

Why two different cabinet art packages?

#3825 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I like it... Reminds me of a blacklight poster or something.

#3826 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

Add a comma and the question answers itself:
"What is JPop's obsession with acid, purple and green?"

I'd drop acid with Jpop in a heartbeat.

#3827 4 years ago
Quoted from Robotoes:

I'd drop acid with Jpop in a heartbeat.

Get started now. you're already wayyyyyyy behind.

#3828 4 years ago

I must have dropped some bad acid because the color pallete reminds me of the Incredible Hulk

incredible_hulk_pinball_1525_detail.jpg
#3829 4 years ago

Deleted post.

Post edited by SadSack: Venting empathetic frustration not helpful.

#3830 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

It's time for all you JPOP koolaid drinkers to admit

After reading most of this thread, I'm not sure who this is addressed to? There are still people that believe it will happen, but calling them "kool aid drinkers" is a bit of a stretch.

#3831 4 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

After reading most of this thread, I'm not sure who this is addressed to? There are still people that believe it will happen, but calling them "kool aid drinkers" is a bit of a stretch.

He's just living up to his name - he's not called HappySack, you know.

#3832 4 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

LOL. Guess most of the "kool aid drinkers" needed that break!

#3833 4 years ago

There really aren't many koolaid posters left. I'm just sorry for how all the negativity of this entire fiasco has reflected off me.

#3834 4 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

I must have dropped some bad acid because the color pallete reminds me of the Incredible Hulk

incredible_hulk_pinball_1525_det... 31 KB

I should disclose that I love the artwork of J.P and the color pallete on RAZA and MG. I'm not trying to ad fuel to the fire, I like the colors, but It does remind me slightly of the incredible hulk colors....

#3835 4 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

I should disclose that I love the artwork of J.P and the color pallete on RAZA and MG. I'm not trying to ad fuel to the fire, I like the colors, but It does remind me slightly of the incredible hulk colors....

I think most of us caught that the first time you posted it.

#3836 4 years ago

So how do those of us that gave him money, get it back?

I feel we are all going to be out our deposit.

If there are any kool aid drinkers left, I'll sell my $6500.00 spot for $5250.00 cash right now. Or I'll trade it for a game around the $5000-$5500 price range. That's almost a 20% discount for one lucky potential buyer.

Any takers ?

#3837 4 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

So how do those of us that gave him money, get it back?
I feel we are all going to be out our deposit.
If there are any kool aid drinkers left, I'll sell my $6500.00 spot for $5250.00 cash right now. Or I'll trade it for a game around the $5000-$5500 price range. That's almost a 20% discount for one lucky potential buyer.
Any takers ?

Emotionally this is tempting. I think most everyone here wants it to happen. It sucks that right now it just doesn't look good.

#3838 4 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

Translites look good,

Too bad he's still only showing artwork. Has he ever mentioned software? Even Stern has a hard time getting that done.

#3839 4 years ago

I think the colors look amazing, truly stunning. I wouldn't change it at all, seriously.

#3840 4 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Emotionally this is tempting. I think most everyone here wants it to happen. It sucks that right now it just doesn't look good.

$5200.00 Cash and its yours

#3841 4 years ago
Quoted from retro_p:

I think the colors look amazing, truly stunning. I wouldn't change it at all, seriously.

You are missing the point. It is not that it does not look good/decent. It is the fact that so much of his art work uses several of generally the same primary colors regardless of game/venue.

#3842 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

You are missing the point. It is not that it does not look good/decent. It is the fact that so much of his art work uses several of generally the same primary colors regardless of game/venue.

Really? Like what? ToM, WCS94, CV and SWE1 all are pretty difficult color schemes. Sure, you can make the leap that RAZA and MG are somewhat similar but kinda makes sense to me as they're being worked on concurrently, and you can also say that they share some similarities with CV. Don't think anyone has seen colored artwork for AIW yet.

Not trying to be a dick, I just don't think you can really make a good case on this front. Dude has only really designed four production games you can accurately ascribe to him, and they're all pretty different.

#3843 4 years ago
Quoted from Robotoes:

Really? Like what? ToM, WCS94, CV and SWE1 all are pretty difficult color schemes. Sure, you can make the leap that RAZA and MG are somewhat similar but kinda makes sense to me as they're being worked on concurrently, and you can also say that they share some similarities with CV. Don't think anyone has seen colored artwork for AIW yet.
Not trying to be a dick, I just don't think you can really make a good case on this front. Dude has only really designed four production games you can accurately ascribe to him, and they're all pretty different.

Outside of SWE1 which is more a cookie cutter licensed art package, JPop's games have a ton of bright purple and often greens that are acid tones. CV, WCS, TOTAN and to a lesser degree TOM all have the purple and three of them have a lot of the greens.

#3844 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Outside of SWE1 which is more a cookie cutter licensed art package, JPop's games have a ton of bright purple and often greens that are acid tones. CV, WCS, TOTAN and to a lesser degree TOM all have the purple and three of them have a lot of the greens.

So you shouldn't really be surprised by this at this point?

#3845 4 years ago

Yeah it's like...what obligation is any artist under to vary their style much less their color choice? These are things that artists cultivate SO THAT when people see it they recognize it as theirs. There's lots of colors that are different among those pins. Lots that are the same. I think you could say this about a lot of pinball artists.

#3846 4 years ago
Quoted from Robotoes:

Yeah it's like...what obligation is any artist under to vary their style much less their color choice? These are things that artists cultivate SO THAT when people see it they recognize it as theirs. There's lots of colors that are different among those pins. Lots that are the same. I think you could say this about a lot of pinball artists.

It was recently shown that the artist is not JPop but rather someone he hired to do MG and RAZA.

Quoted from YKpinballer:

So you shouldn't really be surprised by this at this point?

I was only asking a question as to why he continues to use similar colors.

#3847 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I never had any intention of spending 20k on a pin, and Zombies are so over-done at this point... was bored with zombies before TWD was even announced.

Yeah, the zombie thing is reaching the tail-end of its popularity. I made up a zombie tournament format way back in 2011! The first Left for Dead game came out in 2008!

Might as well make Swatch: The Pin at this point.

#3848 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

There really aren't many koolaid posters left. I'm just sorry for how all the negativity of this entire fiasco has reflected off me.

It's not reflecting off you...you're bringing as much as anyone else.

#3849 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

Quoted from dmesserly:

It's not reflecting off you...you're bringing as much as anyone else.

Obviously you haven't seen many of SadSack's other posts around Pinside -- he's a shimmering disco-ball of positivity!

#3850 4 years ago

John is posting updates on the blog.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 229.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Olathe, KS
There are 24288 posts in this topic. You are on page 77 of 486.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside