(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,544 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 75 of 491.
#3701 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I wonder how he's going to have the playfields printed? Are these going to be screened with spot colors or process? I would hope spot color if they're going to use that neon, but every color you add ups the cost and complexity since they'll each need their own screen.

That's probably the reason for the narrow color pallet. Good question though.

#3702 9 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

I think they are really trying to bring pinball up a level (or two).

The art is definitely a million times better than what's out there now.

But then, you can actually *play* what's out there now. How about less art and more completed games?

#3703 9 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

The art is definitely a million times better than what's out there now.
But then, you can actually *play* what's out there now. How about less art and more completed games?

I'm just gonna say it... Stern would probably have art just as good if they spent 4 years on it. Hell, even if they spent 1 year on it. In fact, Metallica was great and didn't set the game back. With multiple designs.

#3704 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Why is there a guy boarding?

It looks like he is riding the lightning.

#3705 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Why is there a guy boarding?

I believe John wants a theme park type atmosphere in the game. Several toys are along that line. The little people on the playfield remind me of the Comet and Cyclone playfields.

#3706 9 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

I believe John wants a theme park type atmosphere in the game. Several toys are along that line. The little people on the playfield remind me of the Comet and Cyclone playfields.

The nod to Python is cool.

#3707 9 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

The nod to Python is cool.

It's been explicitly stated that the little characters are based on Python's techniques.

#3708 9 years ago

What's the theme of this game again?

#3709 9 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I propose ADD. Stuff keeps getting added, nothing gets completed and its also abbreviation of a disorder that functions as a pin name already abbreviated.

I think there is some kind of profound statement right there, but I'm too stupid to realize my own genius. Possibly ADD.

See, I did it again.

#3710 9 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Yes.

Chris

#3711 9 years ago

That alien looks like a male with breasts. Jawline and eyebrows. Please change that.

#3712 9 years ago

The girls fighting zombies, aliens, robots,Godzilla and who knows what else Pretty safe to say she's using steroids, jaws going to look a little butchy When she was first drawn it was years ago she was a dainty thing that's what riods will do to her

#3713 9 years ago
Quoted from Skulz:

That alien looks like a male with breasts. Jawline and eyebrows. Please change that.

Also the Raygun looks like a pahalic symbol, it offends me.

#3714 9 years ago

When we have nothing more to look at than just a bit of art, this is the type of analysis that happens.

#3715 9 years ago

You guys are asking for even more revisions to the art?

#3716 9 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I think people have seen enough art and now want to see working games. The days of getting everyone to relax by releasing some art are now over.

#3717 9 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

What's the theme of this ART again?

FIFY

#3718 9 years ago

a little blow up on details from the pic Ice posted
image-622.jpgimage-622.jpg

#3719 9 years ago

Oh nice someone leading zombies chained up. That's new...

#3720 9 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Yes, if it can be changed at this point. Throw a beard on s(him) and call it a day. I prefer these types of criticisms versus what has taken place the last several weeks.

I also do not like the over usage of pinks and purples on Magic Girl and now on RAZA. I doubt my comments with make a difference though. The line art is so much more appealing to me than the color pallet that has been shown thus far, but you can't please everyone and I am hard to please anyways.

#3721 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Hey they are on a skateboard.. that's new!

#3722 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Yeah I suppose the skateboard is new at least.

tumblr_m14xeko9mb1qlrwe9o1_500.pngtumblr_m14xeko9mb1qlrwe9o1_500.png
#3723 9 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

tumblr_m14xeko9mb1qlrwe9o1_500.p... 214 KB

That's a freaky pic... Michonne is pretty bad ass! (I'm just sayin)

#3724 9 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

And to be fair, she's pulling those zombies along as camouflage, not using them as a source of locomotion!

#3725 9 years ago
Quoted from Skulz:

I also do not like the over usage of pinks and purples on Magic Girl and now on RAZA. I doubt my comments with make a difference though. The line art is so much more appealing to me than the color pallet that has been shown thus far, but you can't please everyone and I am hard to please anyways.

You're not alone, I've been complaining about this for a while. I really liked the original color pallete, but then again I liked the BHZA theme better than the direction the RAZA theme has taken. There are huge portions of the artwork where it feels like pink/purple/blue were the only colors left in the ole paint bucket. I think Pinball Bulbs had a hand in the design... Just kidding, I like, have bought, and have mimicked several of their LED color schemes, I just wouldn't have thought a playfield would use SO much purple.

#3726 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I liked the BHZA theme better than the direction the RAZA theme has taken

I don't even know what the current RAZA theme is... I'm probably not alone in this. I'm fairly sure it's not zombies. Unless there's some serious metaphorical depth in all this.

#3727 9 years ago

Original concept was myself as "evil mastermind" creating zombies in abandoned amusement park. Player was "the guy" trying to get back "his girl" that I kidnapped to turn into a zombie queen. Very straightforward "hero, villain, goal"

I liked the idea of an old, decrepit amusement park. The environment decayed, like the zombies. There was going to be an underground lab / lower PF thing. The porthole on the side shows the glowing reactor that powers the park (that's still in the game I see)

It seems John has not only diverged wildly from original theme but what zombie fans want in general. They want gore, violence and a sense of feeling important in a post apocalyptic world. Not clowns, alien women and ray guns.

#3728 9 years ago

I've seen John write on his blog several times now about pinball art, how its made to be viewed from 10 feet away, how things are meant to be seen, catch the eye, colors that pop, colors that match, contrast, yada yada, but I really thing we've ventured deep into the world of him over thinking this.

#3729 9 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Original concept was myself as "evil mastermind" creating zombies in abandoned amusement park. Player was "the guy" trying to get back "his girl" that I kidnapped to turn into a zombie queen. Very straightforward "hero, villain, goal"
I liked the idea of an old, decrepit amusement park. The environment decayed, like the zombies. There was going to be an underground lab / lower PF thing. The porthole on the side shows the glowing reactor that powers the park (that's still in the game I see)
It seems John has not only diverged wildly from original theme but what zombie fans want in general. They want gore, violence and a sense of feeling important in a post apocalyptic world. Not clowns, alien women and ray guns.

yeah, that's the game we all bought into. Still would like that game, too bad Ben you're off unlicensed themes, that would be a great one for you to do still .

#3730 9 years ago

Who knows, maybe I'll help someone with a licensed Zombie theme in the future Wouldn't that be spooky?

#3731 9 years ago

I also see that it's kind of a joke now with zombie bowling. That I supposes was part of the original promo but it's not as much of killing zombies fighting or running from zombies another thing to see them depicted playing bowling or maybe zombies with hula hoops or who knows what will end up in there. Either way, it is what it is, but I just don't care for zombies bowling unless it's in a silly jokey movie.

#3732 9 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Who knows, maybe I'll help someone with a licensed Zombie theme in the future Wouldn't that be spooky?

People would probably chuck money at that idea!

#3733 9 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

And to be fair, she's pulling those zombies along as camouflage, not using them as a source of locomotion!

She also used them to carry her stuff, so a form of locomotion.

#3734 9 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

A licensed (Rob) Zombie theme ... ?

#3735 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

People would probably chuck money at that idea!

I'm Squirreling away funds right now.

#3736 9 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

She also used them to carry her stuff, so a form of locomotion.

I'd definitely buy a set of zombie saddle bags.

#3737 9 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

How depressing! This is the game I really wanted. Instead we're getting a purple zombie, on a purple roller coaster, in a purple theme park, chased by a purple alien.

#3738 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

How depressing! This is the game I really wanted. Instead we're getting a purple zombie, on a purple roller coaster, in a purple theme park, chased by a purple alien.

Guys lets at least wait to see the colored in playfield (hopefully in a few weeks)

#3739 9 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I liked the idea of an old, decrepit amusement park. The environment decayed, like the zombies. There was going to be an underground lab / lower PF thing

Wasn't the original concept also going to have some sort of skeeball mini game, or carnival type game?

#3740 9 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

I'm Squirreling away funds right now.

This is gonna Bug me all night. KT, bar the door!

#3741 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Guys lets at least wait to see the colored in playfield (hopefully in a few weeks)

Seriously. I get that everyone is bummed, but it sort of seems like it's getting to the point where people want to find reasons to be unhappier. Like the skateboarder with zombies, it's a little tiny detail, look at the size of the insert next to it! It's an easter egg, probably a shout out to Walking Dead from a fan. Instead of thinking it's funny or cool it's all "OMG RIP OFF".

Not getting the game you were pitched? Legit. But you're in for the ride now, you might as well see what it looks like before deciding.

I have lots of doubts. Lots! Will it ever be built? Will it have real code? Will it even be fun? Etc. But really, one of my doubts isn't "will it look good?" because I'm sure it will be cool to look at if nothing else. Jpop for all his faults is obviously someonr with art direction skills, and Zombie Yeti is a skilled illustrator. Let them show you the final package first.

Yeesh, can't believe I'm the one trying to talk Jpop buyers off the ledge!

#3742 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yeesh, can't believe I'm the one trying to talk Jpop buyers off the ledge!

Are you feeling OK, Aurich? Maybe you should go lie down.

#3743 9 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

If you're behind the design and build, I will buy it!

#3744 9 years ago

Toyota: Yes the skill shot was going to be the ball going into a simplified Skee Ball circle thing. Center shot most points, outer ring less, just like real Skee Ball (easy to understand) Who knows maybe that's still in there.

MikeHogue: We are having a Skeet Shooting / Strategy Meeting this weekend to determine everyone's roles in [Spooky Game 2] which is a re-branding of Chuck's Pinball Zombies game.

I will probably help Chuck with rules, write some of the script, mentor a new programmer and do dots.

#3745 9 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

MikeHogue: We are having a Skeet Shooting / Strategy Meeting this weekend to determine everyone's roles in [Spooky Game 2] which is a re-branding of Chuck's Pinball Zombies game.

A little sorry it didn't work out for me to be part of that, but looking forward to seeing how it comes out.

Would anyone really be shocked if Spooky ships game 2 before Jpop ships a single unit?

#3746 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

A little sorry it didn't work out for me to be part of that, but looking forward to seeing how it comes out.
Would anyone really be shocked if Spooky ships game 2 before Jpop ships a single unit?

Not in the slightest. I have huge confidence in spooky and can't wait for #2

#3747 9 years ago

Just buy out/into riot and make wooly game two. All the hard work has already been done. Make it happen son.

#3748 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Considering Spooky's Zombie game was shooting at last year's MGC, no. I would not be surprised.

#3749 9 years ago

From the occasional thing stated here and there, it seems like Spooky is shooting for Expo 2015 reveal. It's likely we'll be wondering whether Magic Girl will actually be for play at Expo 2015, let alone raza. So very likely Spooky's game will be in customer's hands before any raza owners have it.

#3750 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Nope...In fact I would be shocked if they didn't.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 75 of 491.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6mg-raza-and-aiw%E2%80%A6/page/75 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.