(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,288 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 168 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,694 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png
B3F72CE8-1FCA-4E93-9994-CCC068D8F4C2 (resized).jpeg
7A86BB52-E1F5-4086-955C-86A6383C27D3 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

21 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24288 posts in this topic. You are on page 74 of 486.
#3651 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Reminded me, that there are pieces like this that we've seen, a ton of time and effort put into them, and then sent to the dust bin. I just can't see how a profitable biz can operate this way.

Especially considering the cost of artists. Getting a commission done is one thing - those prices are usually lower than the price for something to use for commercial purposes.

#3652 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I don't really care for the way they chose to portray Alice, she's a rather unappealing central figure, but maybe the vision for the game has her being a total bitch instead of sympathetic, I dunno. No reason to judge too early.

I agree -- if anything the Alice drawing from the backglass would make more sense as the Queen of Hearts. Unless he's got some sequel narrative going where Alice has grown up, taken over the kingdom and become evil herself.

#3653 4 years ago

Don't worry, there will be dozens of backglass revisions by the end. She'll probably end up looking like Princess Leia or something

#3654 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Especially considering the cost of artists. Getting a commission done is one thing - those prices are usually lower than the price for something to use for commercial purposes.

Unless an artist is paid per game versus hourly...

#3655 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Reminded me, that there are pieces like this that we've seen, a ton of time and effort put into them, and then sent to the dust bin. I just can't see how a profitable biz can operate this way.

332263.jpg 58 KB

Man, that artwork looks awesome! What a cool theme that was.

#3656 4 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Not with JPop's limited production, and years to market

#3657 4 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Oh, true.

However, if I was that artist, and was asked to do that many complete "re-do"s, if I wasn't getting paid a LOT, I'd be miffed by now.

#3658 4 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

Not that I would recommend jumping in but Alice has moved at a much faster pace than the other two. The Alice pre-order was started around 9 months ago and we have already seen what has been shown on the public site plus two or three generations of playfield design.

I think this is the key - he's quick to generate inked art, but that is pretty much where the progress ends.

It seems like he's only interested in the fun part and that other stuff like business plans and communicating with customers is just a stupid distraction.

#3659 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I think this is the key - he's quick to generate inked art, but that is pretty much where the progress ends.

Well and keep in mind he's not actually doing any of that work. It's easy to look at some sketches someone else has done, make comments, and then kick back and wait for revisions to appear so you can make some more comments.

Don't get me wrong, art direction is important, but at a certain stage you gotta back off and just let your artist draw. And then take care of other business.

#3660 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Well and keep in mind he's not actually doing any of that work. It's easy to look at some sketches someone else has done, make comments, and then kick back and wait for revisions to appear so you can make some more comments.
Don't get me wrong, art direction is important, but at a certain stage you gotta back off and just let your artist draw. And then take care of other business.

Actually I'm pretty sure John does the sketches and Yeti comes in and redraws the images from Johns sketchs. At least On MG and RAZA.

#3661 4 years ago

Does anyone know what engineering resources zidware has access to? Once the prototypes are done, I'd say there was at least 4000 hours of engineering specification required to get parts mass produced.

A designer and an engineer require almost opposite strengths. The weakness you see in zidware is primarily due to the absence of engineering strengths.. along with the absence of strengths in all areas of business as well.

It's not like I'm saying he's going to fail. I'm saying he's already failed.

#3662 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

Thanks for the clarification. Not sure any of us would have known where you stand otherwise.

#3663 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

Does anyone know what engineering resources zidware has access to?

No idea, but it is a great question. I wonder just how much of it is custom. Are there any industry standard mechs in these games? If not, tooling will be a nightmare.

#3664 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

Sounds like Sun Tzu Art of War

#3665 4 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Actually I'm pretty sure John does the sketches and Yeti comes in and redraws the images from Johns sketchs. At least On MG and RAZA.

I'd really love to see some kind of evidence for that, because it's contrary to what I've heard. But I don't know John, and don't want to make any strong claims without really knowing the story.

He's definitely not doing the sketches for Alice, those are Zombie Yeti's. However much they might be working together on how they should look. And he didn't do the art for his previous Williams pins.

I don't doubt that the guy has a vision and is helping shape the way his games look, I think it's pretty clear there's a "Jpop look" that he tries to make somewhat consistent. Beyond that I guess I won't speculate.

#3666 4 years ago

For me, the turning point was seeing raza was no longer about zombies and no communication from JPOP about that. With the theme changed and zidware holding onto your deposits is wrong. I'll stop short of calling this criminal behavior, but it is no longer the same product.

JPop needs to honor requests for a full refund now! I would not invest in a business where that kind of shenanigans takes place. The lynch mob might have lost its focus lately but for those with money on the line, you deserve your money back and some straight answers. There are a but a few tenants to successful business but don't f3ck with your customer's money ought to be rules 1, 2 and 3. As much as it pains me to say it, people should seriously consider pursuing legal recourse.

#3667 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

There 8s no way a company cake take 4

..Did you have a seizure while typing? Or is this a reference to something way over my head? :d

#3668 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Just for fun, I threw the playfield layout on top of a firepower table in future pinball (Made some adjustments)

*disclaimer: this is not the actual layout

Playfield is very good, like it! Now, if I knew where the ramps & bumpers were I'd be knocking my own version up, lolol.

Just for fun too. -ponypony

#3669 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

..Did you have a seizure while typing? Or is this a reference to something way over my head? :d

Yes lost connection. But I was saying....

There is no way a company can take 4 year to develop a project, budgeted for one, and still be viable without spending a good chunk of the money already.. Prepare to wait anther four years at this rate. Mechanical model lacking, where's the programming or the newly developed operating system? In the meantime, additional costs will be incurred and vendors expect to be paid in a reasonable timeframe too. I can clearly see this is destined to end badly. For a lot of good people who took a risk, well ... this happened. Sorry.

#3670 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

For me, the turning point was seeing raza was no longer about zombies and no communication from JPOP about that. With the theme changed and zidware holding onto your deposits is wrong.......

Uhhh....Day #1 It's not ALL about Zombies
- Zombies
- Mind eraser
- Go Go girls
- Retro bots
- Swirly coaster ramps
- Zombie bowling
- Flying saucers
- Gloo gun
- X Ray goggles
- 3 D glasses
- A lucky cat
- Tilt-a girl
- F86 Sabre jet

bhza-flyer.jpg

#3671 4 years ago

Wow, seems like once Ben Heck was off the project all of his concepts had to be replaced. Except for magnets... I think?

#3672 4 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

- Zombies
- Mind eraser
- Go Go girls
- Retro bots
- Swirly
ramps
- Zombie bowling
- Flying saucers
- Gloo gun
- X Ray goggles
- 3 D glasses
- A lucky cat
- Tilt-a girl
- F86 Sabre jet
» YouTube video

bhza-flyer.jpg 113 KB

Right On, Right On. It was the whole package that created the magic. Seeing that artwork again creates a strong tingling in my legs and makes me wish someone was going to be making one using that concept. I'd buy when it was coming off the line. Oh well, back to reality. It is not going to happen.

#3673 4 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

- Zombies
- Mind eraser
- Go Go girls
- Retro bots
- Swirly coaster ramps
- Zombie bowling
- Flying saucers
- Gloo gun
- X Ray goggles
- 3 D glasses
- A lucky cat
- Tilt-a girl
- F86 Sabre jet

Nobody ever said that it was *only* about Zombies. But that was most obviously the central theme. If it wasn't, I wouldn't have ordered it.

I see nothing in your list about Godzilla or Robby the Robot, or the Mars Attacks alien. And the backglass shown briefly at Expo had the Alien as the main feature, not a zombie. (see post #1700 by Frolic for the pic of the backglass).

The main focal point of RAZA no longer appears to be zombies.

#3674 4 years ago

Well, Ben went off to actually do something pinball and made a hilarious fun game. We're still waiting for Jpop to do something…...waiting.jpg

#3675 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

The main focal point of RAZA no longer appears to be zombies.

I actually think it's a cooler looking game now because of that, but I totally get that people who signed up for something might feel like they got screwed by the mid-stream theme switcheroo.

#3676 4 years ago
Quoted from horseypin:

Playfield is very good, like it! Now, if I knew where the ramps & bumpers were I'd be knocking my own version up, lolol.
» YouTube video

Hey I made a cameo appearance in your vid too now!Cool

#3677 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I actually think it's a cooler looking game now because of that, but I totally get that people who signed up for something might feel like they got screwed by the mid-stream theme switcheroo.

I completely disagree about it being cooler looking because of that.

I thought the backglass shown at Expo was terrible.

#3678 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I completely disagree about it being cooler looking because of that.
I thought the backglass shown at Expo was terrible.

To be clear I meant "looking" in a general sense, as opposed to the visuals. I won't judge that until something final is shown since it keeps changing every time anything is revealed. I agree though that just recycling characters from other franchises isn't particularly interesting. I just dig the sci fi theme more than zombies I guess.

The zombies feel tacked on now though.

#3679 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The zombies feel tacked on now though.

Bingo.

#3680 4 years ago
Quoted from horseypin:

Now, if I knew where the ramps & bumpers were I'd be knocking my own version up, lolol.

Seems like the 3 pop (jet) bumpers are lined up along the shooter lane (like in my example). As for ramps:
334526-i[1].jpg

#3681 4 years ago

Pretty clear this is a cluster F of sizable, if not epic, proportions.

It's not even possible to get a consensus on what should be done. Like I said, like herding cats, and i bang my head against the wall on daily basis enough as it is.

My daily life isn't even close to being this complicated, and a good chunk of people don't appreciate shit

#3682 4 years ago
Quoted from horseypin:

» YouTube video

Is that supposed to be some kind of reveal? It looks like a computer representation.

this is from 3 years ago. Where is the whitewood already?

I think John sorely misses Ben:

... don't see every day, live pinball design, RIGHT NOW, as John Popadiuk, Ben Heck and staff work on the whitewood of their Ben Heck's Zombie Adventureland ...
heckstream.jpg

#3683 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Is that supposed to be some kind of reveal? It looks like a computer representation.
this is from 3 years ago. Where is the whitewood already?:
... don't see every day, live pinball design, RIGHT NOW, as John Popadiuk, Ben Heck and staff work on the whitewood of their Ben Heck's Zombie Adventureland ...

heckstream.jpg 22 KB

Wow, how old is that!

I'm happy that Rai requested and got a refund from Jpop very recently

#3684 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Seems like the 3 pop (jet) bumpers are lined up along the shooter lane (like in my example). As for ramps:

You can blatantly see the bumper markings in the playfield , which I missed completely and never noticed in your FP pic! I haven't really followed this game, it does look interesting.

Quoted from rai:

Just a trace bitmap (Inkscape), export image into FP and run the free camera around inside of Unit3D pinball.

#3685 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Pretty clear this is a cluster F of sizable, if not epic, proportions.
It's not even possible to get a consensus on what should be done. Like I said, like herding cats, and i bang my head against the wall on daily basis enough as it is.
My daily life isn't even close to being this complicated, and a good chunk of people don't appreciate shit

Just outline what you are going to do, based on that people will decide whether they want to join the coalition or not and then proceed and execute outlined plan.

You don't need a concensus or a quorum to make it happen just like minded folk who have standing in this matter.

#3686 4 years ago
Quoted from FatAussieBogan:

Just outline what you are going to do, based on that people will decide whether they want to join the coalition or not and then proceed and execute outlined plan.
You don't need a concensus or a quorum to make it happen just like minded folk who have standing in this matter.

I already have, and the "like minded folk" will come along or not.

I'm convinced, none of it will matter at the end of the day. John is either getting on board or keep driving off the cliff. Not a F ing thing I've done or said makes a bit of difference.

General sanity would dictate that it wouldn't take another decade to produce these pins, we might all be dead, so we work back from there.

#3687 4 years ago

Artwork update posted to the RAZA blog.

#3688 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

I thought groundhog day wasn't for another week.

#3689 4 years ago

Pretty sure people would settle for stick figures if there was a flipping pin with mechs and ramps involved.

#3690 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

No one questions the artwork. That is the fun part of all of this and JPop's vision in that department is phenomenal.

#3691 4 years ago

I think they are really trying to bring pinball up a level (or two). Color makes a difference .

(posted with permission)

Chris

zombie_color_spacegirl_close2.jpg

#3692 4 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

I think they are really trying to bring pinball up a level (or two). Color makes a difference .

Chris

You posted the one part of what he showed that isn't purple. I really hate the extremely narrow color pallet he's using on some of this. Similar to the backglass he showed (briefly) at expo, it's all dark blue on pink on TONS of purple. Loved the line art of the playfield, hate the undiversified color scheme! This section is not representative of the pallete of the rest of what he showed. But hey, maybe what he showed doesn't have all the color layers in it yet, and we know he's going to change it 75 more times before it's done.

#3693 4 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

(posted with permission)
Chris

zombie_color_spacegirl_close2.jp... 150 KB

Is that Spaceman Spiff's ship on the right?

#3694 4 years ago

Why is there a guy boarding?

#3695 4 years ago

I wonder how he's going to have the playfields printed? Are these going to be screened with spot colors or process? I would hope spot color if they're going to use that neon, but every color you add ups the cost and complexity since they'll each need their own screen.

#3696 4 years ago

Nothing but old hash.

#3697 4 years ago

Something about her face makes me hear the song "dude looks like a lady".

#3698 4 years ago

that's 1 square jaw.

#3699 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Something about her face makes me hear the song "dude looks like a lady".

Yeah man! Looks like a purple Fafafini.

(Google that for your daily Southern Hemisphere education ...)

rd.

#3700 4 years ago

She needs giant sweater puppets.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 229.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
There are 24288 posts in this topic. You are on page 74 of 486.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside