(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,544 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 72 of 491.
#3551 9 years ago

No one ever doubted the artwork.

#3552 9 years ago

I think John was going to post this on FB anyhow, if not, my bad, and its just a Raza play field rendition pre color separation.

retro_playfield_type2_large.jpgretro_playfield_type2_large.jpg

#3553 9 years ago

I see a few cool old game references from bally and williams... Very nic.

#3555 9 years ago

I always thought John was the artist on this stuff. I guess not. Whoever did the work I love it. Playfield looks a tad busy but color will possibly fix that.

#3556 9 years ago

Artwork is stunning. Bravo.

#3557 9 years ago

I like all the individual elements of the playfield art but in my opinion as a cohesive playfield it looks disjointed.

#3558 9 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

I see a few cool old game references from bally and williams... Very nic.

Especially the "Xenon Gas Tube Shot". Loved that game!!

#3559 9 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

I like all the individual elements of the playfield art but in my opinion as a cohesive playfield it looks disjointed.

Can't please everyone I guess, I'm thrilled with it!

#3561 9 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

You can't tell until it's colored and the playfield is populated (plastics, ramps, etc...). That said, I think it looks really spectacular.

#3562 9 years ago

Don't worry about the Godzilla license. The final version will just change it's face to a sinister human skull and it will be free and clear of copyright claims.

#3563 9 years ago

Wait, why is Godzilla on the PF??

Apologies in advance as I haven't read through the whole thread, but I didn't know that this turned into a sci-fi greatest hits with Godzilla, Robby the Robot and the Mars Attacks alien. They seem like expensive licenses to secure if the characters aren't even used in the title...

#3564 9 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

Wait, why is Godzilla on the PF??
Apologies in advance as I haven't read through the whole thread, but I didn't know that this turned into a sci-fi greatest hits with Godzilla, Robby the Robot and the Mars Attacks alien. They seem like expensive licenses to secure if the characters aren't even used in the title...

He changed Mars Attacks Alien's eyes to Deadpool's....so now it's an original creation!

#3565 9 years ago

The zombie with the glasses above the brain guy looks like Terry from pinaball life (he has it hanging in his warehouse).

#3566 9 years ago

Okay, now we're getting somewhere!

#3567 9 years ago

Nice to see he threw in a Monkey Shines reference.

#3568 9 years ago

I like the illustrations but man is that thing busy. Is the blog pic in color or the same b/w line work?

#3569 9 years ago

Oh how I wish this thread would die. Disgusted with all the negativity and critique especially from persons not even invested in the project. He doesn't communicate enough and gets criticized. He responds with more frequent updates and gets criticized on design elements. I personally have enjoyed the journey through his design process, but never had the expectation that the deadlines were firm as it was a new company without established production lines. I firmly believe that i will eventually get my machine and if not at least the trolls can have their fun at my expense.

#3570 9 years ago

It only looks busy because it's keyline art. Look at some keyline examples, they also look busy without colour.

329347-i.jpg329347-i.jpg

326387-i.jpg326387-i.jpg

#3571 9 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

It only looks busy because it's keyline art. Look at some keyline examples, they also look busy without colour.

326387-i.jpg 60 KB

329347-i.jpg 76 KB

And with color, it comes together

CVJPOP.jpgCVJPOP.jpg
#3572 9 years ago

so are all the mechs and everything clear? so much art, how is it all going to be seen

#3573 9 years ago

No englando

#3574 9 years ago
Quoted from Bonnevil69:

so are all the mechs and everything clear? so much art, how is it all going to be seen

There are no mechs. JPop is going for a more pure pinball experience.

#3575 9 years ago

I think the art looks good but does not look like zombies to me.

#3576 9 years ago

THat's clearly NOT a pinball playfield. Take a look here: http://www.classicplayfields.com/store-playfields.html

Do you notice anything different?

I especially like the "dunk the zombie" play on RCT and all the unlicensed characters that will be half covered with something. You buyers must really be relieved after seeing this collage of ideas. I'm sure the production line is already firing up.

Actually it's really sad to see people grasping at absolutely anything to hold on to the idea that all this nonsense will end with an actual game being shipped. I might even buy a print of that poster shown above (if it was in color).

#3577 9 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

I think the art looks good but does not look like zombies to me.

Not just Zombies its.... Retro Atomic Zombie Adventureland!

#3578 9 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

Actually it's really sad to see people grasping at absolutely anything to hold on to the idea that all this nonsense will end with an actual game being shipped.

Wanna know whats even sadder than that? The fact that I can still see your posts I don't normally hit the ignore button, but Sack for you I will make an exception.

#3579 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Wanna know whats even sadder than that? The fact that I can still see your posts I don't normally hit the ignore button, but Sack for you I will make an exception.

That's OK. I'm sure you will unhide my inciteful posts when you see them. It's like a car wreck. You know it would be wiser not to look, but look we all do.

#3580 9 years ago
Quoted from The_Crow:

Oh how I wish this thread would die. Disgusted with all the negativity and critique especially from persons not even invested in the project. He doesn't communicate enough and gets criticized. He responds with more frequent updates and gets criticized on design elements. I personally have enjoyed the journey through his design process, but never had the expectation that the deadlines were firm as it was a new company without established production lines. I firmly believe that i will eventually get my machine and if not at least the trolls can have their fun at my expense.

I don't think anyone will, or wants to see you guys not get your games, nor will we be laughing at you if you don't. We do have the right to critique jpop and the business practices.

#3581 9 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

That's OK. I'm sure you will unhide my inciteful posts when you see them. It's like a car wreck. You know it would be wiser not to look, but look we all do.

What is an inciteful post?

#3582 9 years ago

One that "incites" (rouses, stirs up or excites) perhaps?

#3583 9 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

One that "incites" (rouses, stirs up or excites) perhaps?

Possible. More likely the kid meant insightful. Guess that's just how the young folk roll these days.

#3584 9 years ago

Hell, if he would sell the playfields/art for RAZA to the masses he would have a line out the door... That looks great!

#3585 9 years ago

Just for fun, I threw the playfield layout on top of a firepower table in future pinball (Made some adjustments)
raza_FP_firepower.jpgraza_FP_firepower.jpg

*disclaimer: this is not the actual layout

#3586 9 years ago
Quoted from The_Crow:

Oh how I wish this thread would die. Disgusted with all the negativity and critique especially from persons not even invested in the project.

I'm kinda blown away that a few bits of art get tossed out and the crowd seems happy again. Bread and circuses. Maybe the owners club reveal was actually something.

#3587 9 years ago

I don't think we should proclaim these projects dead, to quote The Big Lebowski movie :"nothing is fucked here Dude"

There is no proof that John won't produce these games, the more updates the better.

#3588 9 years ago

All of the suspect character use seems troubling to me and I like (LOVE!) the idea of a sci-fi greatest hits table.

John is (was?) obsessed with secrecy as he was afraid of others stealing his ideas, yet many of these ideas at least seem borrowed from others? (I am being charitable here, I think).

Also, I like the idea of the ultimate unlicened artist gone wild table, having a bunch of stuff suggestive of licenses on it . It is telling on how hardcore pinball players are about not wanting licensed titles, UNLESS that is the pinball offered for sale

#3590 9 years ago

How old are these concept pictures?

#3591 9 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

Video update on the zidware pinball website...
http://www.pinballinventor.org/welcome.html

Looks like it's just that Adobe video we saw a few weeks ago.

#3592 9 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

That John, he's really doing a slow roll (as the say in poker).

#3593 9 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but all of this stuff seems like old news.

The PF art should have been done years ago.

#3594 9 years ago
Quoted from FatAussieBogan:

Possible. More likely the kid meant insightful. Guess that's just how the young folk roll these days.

The nuance of my diction is difficult to pick up even by those readers whose first language is English. Certainly solarvalue understands my skillz.

#3595 9 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I don't think anyone will, or wants to see you guys not get your games, nor will we be laughing at you if you don't.

Respectfully disagree. There are many shallow minded people in this world that rejoice in the misery of others. It's not difficult to spot many of them here. If this project fails they will celebrate and boast "I told you so". And if games are delivered they'll be silent or give dishonest best wishes.

I'm paraphrasing but some of the notable Pinside quotes amount to this: "Boy are you stupid for getting involved in this doomed scam. *But hey, I hope you get your game*"

Quoted from Roostking:

We do have the right to critique jpop and the business practices.

Agreed and you seem the reasonable sort to comment, so please feel free.

#3596 9 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

There are many shallow minded people in this world that rejoice in the misery of others. It's not difficult to spot many of them here.

Had to give you a thumb up for this... sadly.

Would have preferred to disagree

#3597 9 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Respectfully disagree. There are many shallow minded people in this world that rejoice in the misery of others. It's not difficult to spot many of them here. If this project fails they will celebrate and boast "I told you so". And if games are delivered they'll be silent or give dishonest best wishes.

I'm paraphrasing but some of the notable Pinside quotes amount to this: "Boy are you stupid for getting involved in this doomed scam. *But hey, I hope you get your game*"

I agree with you here. However, I do want to point out that some of us (like myself) have used the term "doomed" to describe John's projects, but I certainly neither blame nor wish ill-will on anyone who ordered a game from him. I don't think any of John's customers are stupid. I do doubt many of them knew John really well when they ordered (outside of his library of games) or knew his history at WMS. I really hope these games get made, but hope and belief are two different things. Bottom line though is that fault lies with John, not his customers. He made the promises, now he has to deliver.

#3598 9 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

I'm kinda blown away that a few bits of art get tossed out and the crowd seems happy again.

I wouldn't say "happy", more that it's a sign of *something* getting out rather than the *nothing* that was coming out before. That said, people should still hold his feet to the fire about getting real info.

#3599 9 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Agreed and you seem the reasonable sort to comment, so please feel free.

Well, if these game come out as the work of art they purport to be, I dont want to be on the wrong side and hope to play one of them one day. BTW I have many friends in Colorado... HINT HINT lol

#3600 9 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

I agree with you here. However, I do want to point out that some of us (like myself) have used the term "doomed" to describe John's projects, but I certainly neither blame nor wish ill-will on anyone who ordered a game from him. I don't think any of John's customers are stupid. I do doubt many of them knew John really well when they ordered (outside of his library of games) or knew his history at WMS. I really hope these games get made, but hope and belief are two different things. Bottom line though is that fault lies with John, not his customers. He made the promises, now he has to deliver.

Thanks Larry and I agree. You were not one of those I was referring to in my referenced quote. My comment was directed to the insulting Pinsiders that seem to know it all... years later with the benefit of hindsight

Off topic personal note: I've known you since 2007 (?) beginning on RGP, at Expo and here on Pinside. I know where your head and heart is and you've earned my deep respect over the years. If you tell me I'm full of shit, I'll believe you.

Your public comment was welcome but you never have to explain yourself to me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 72 of 491.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6mg-raza-and-aiw%E2%80%A6/page/72 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.