(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,316 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 166 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,696 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sucks (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 71 of 487.
#3501 5 years ago

Except BBB had TOG.

Without TOG, there probably wouldn't have been BBB.

If I were making a pin, he would be the first person I'd hire.

#3502 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballmike217:

I'm anxious to see Magic Girl get finished but at this point it doesn't really matter if it takes another six weeks or six months.

People would be cheering in the streets if it was really only 6 months before they got their games.

You know what though? I'm cheering for hand drawn art and an original theme. I could go on for a while about a lot of things I think are bullshit, but there's no real point in injecting more negativity. We only see half a playfield, no inserts, it's hard to really judge, so I won't critique it or anything. But I want more, and we should be supporting the idea, even if the delivery of this particular game is flawed.

#3503 5 years ago

I'm anxious to see Magic Girl get finished but at this point it doesn't really matter if it takes another six weeks or six months. I say it will be worth the wait.

Good things take time, but give me a break! He's not curing Cancer, it's just a damn pinball machine. I really don't know how some of you buyers do it. At this point, there is no way this game can live up to expectations.

Quoted from SunKing:

Disclaimer: I have no skin in this game

Me neither, but F it.

#3504 5 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

Good things take time, but give me a break! He's not curing Cancer, it's just a damn pinball machine. I really don't know how some of you buyers do it. At this point, there is no way this game can live up to expectations.

Me neither, but F it.

The only way it can exceed my expectation is if it shows up on my doorstep.

#3505 5 years ago

Props to John for sticking to his style, but when's the last time you saw a lightning bolt insert available? Unless planetary pinball's website isn't updated, or he's already talked to the ONE vendor that seems to have the molds to run them (who usually wants a minimum 10,000 part run), I don't see those inserts magically appearing out of thin air.

#3506 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

The only way it can exceed my expectation is if it shows up on my doorstep.

I hope you get at least that much out of him.

#3507 5 years ago

That about sums up the 70 pages of worthless whining in this thread from people who have no skin in the game. Armchair quarterbacks are a dime a dozen.

I'm wondering what your opinion is on the legalization of pot?

I guess, since you're not a resident of Colorado or Washington, we probably don't even need your perspective. I suppose if you do happened to exercise your right to an opinion on the legalization of pot, be it for or against, we should consider it "worthless whining" because you don't have any "skin in the game" due to the fact that you don't even live in Colorado or Washington.

You probably shouldn't even reply to my "request for you opinion on the legalization of pot" inquiry. Based on your logic, I should consider your standpoint the view of an "armchair quarterback" who's perspective is simply "a dime a dozen" and therefore meaningless/useless.

Do you see the sever shortcomings in your statements?

QSS

#3508 5 years ago

Yes, the project is taking longer than anticipated but so what. Truly great things are worth the wait. This is just Big Bang Bar part 2, no risk, no reward. I'm anxious to see Magic Girl get finished but at this point it doesn't really matter if it takes another six weeks or six months. I say it will be worth the wait.

How about six years? How about never. You guys had all better hope jpop stays healthy and doesn't have any accidents. As far as I've read here, there is absolutely no way the project can continue if the one-man-band somehow becomes unable to "manage his artists".

The longer projects like these drag out, the more likely they are to end in abject failure. It's pretty pathetic when the playfield doesn't have a single hole drilled into it. Does JPOP even have his own CNC router to run them? I simply cannot imagine who would be willing to run these 20 to 30 piece runs at some reasonable price. Mainly because I don't think there is anyone who wants to work with this guy since he has been outed as some sort of OCD whackjob that only cares about the hinges and managing an artist.

I think all you buyers completely overestimate Jpop's ability to manage a project from inception through product delivery. Wasn't it Steve Ritchie that said he couldn't finish anything he started? Just wait until the problems of production start percolating. Who will he have to blame then? I'm predicting the MG's will get done sometime in 2016 (right around the time that RAZA owners force him to sell his IP in an involuntary BK). I also bet the gameplay will be screwed because the coding will suck. Oh, I believe RAZA will be made. It will be made by either Stern or JJP once the asset forfeiture sale goes down.

I've worked with guys like Jpop. They are good at blaming everyone around them when things go wrong and their even better at taking credit for a team effort. I bet he hardly did shit on all those pretty games that play like ass.

#3509 5 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

How about six years? How about never. You guys had all better hope jpop stays healthy and doesn't have any accidents. As far as I've read here, there is absolutely no way the project can continue if the one-man-band somehow becomes unable to "manage his artists".
The longer projects like these drag out, the more likely they are to end in abject failure. It's pretty pathetic when the playfield doesn't have a single hole drilled into it. Does JPOP even have his own CNC router to run them? I simply cannot imagine who would be willing to run these 20 to 30 piece runs at some reasonable price. Mainly because I don't think there is anyone who wants to work with this guy since he has been outed as some sort of OCD whackjob that only cares about the hinges and managing an artist.
I think all you buyers completely overestimate Jpop's ability to manage a project from inception through product delivery. Wasn't it Steve Ritchie that said he couldn't finish anything he started? Just wait until the problems of production start percolating. Who will he have to blame then? I'm predicting the MG's will get done sometime in 2016 (right around the time that RAZA owners force him to sell his IP in an involuntary BK). I also bet the gameplay will be screwed because the coding will suck. Oh, I believe RAZA will be made. It will be made by either Stern or JJP once the asset forfeiture sale goes down.
I've worked with guys like Jpop. They are good at blaming everyone around them when things go wrong and their even better at taking credit for a team effort. I bet he hardly did shit on all those pretty games that play like ass.

Wow. You're pretty worked up for a guy with nothing invested. Try de-caf.

#3510 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Wow. You're pretty worked up for a guy with nothing invested. Try de-caf.

I'm not worked up at all. But that wouldn't be the first time you were wrong, would it?

#3511 5 years ago

He had a CNC back when Ben was still on the game...so he probably still has it.

#3512 5 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

I'm not worked up at all. But that wouldn't be the first time you were wrong, would it?

LOL. Whatever, man.

#3513 5 years ago

I'm sure your predictions will be spot on, sack

#3514 5 years ago
Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

I'm wondering what your opinion is on the legalization of pot?
I guess, since you're not a resident of Colorado or Washington, we probably don't even need your perspective. I suppose if you do happened to exercise your right to an opinion on the legalization of pot, be it for or against, we should consider it "worthless whining" because you don't have any "skin in the game" due to the fact that you don't even live in Colorado or Washington.
You probably shouldn't even reply to my "request for you opinion on the legalization of pot" inquiry. Based on your logic, I should consider your standpoint the view of an "armchair quarterback" who's perspective is simply "a dime a dozen" and therefore meaningless/useless.
Do you see the sever shortcomings in your statements?
QSS

I don't smoke pot so there's no need for me comment on the issue. It doesn't affect me either way and I'm not going to try and tell other people what they should or should not do with their lives.

I will clarify my original post and say that the there is nothing wrong with commenting if your not a JPop buyer. It's just very sad to see the negativity that has been posted towards JPop here lately. John is a pioneer and a visionary in the pinball world. I for one greatly appreciate his efforts. Yes, he's having a tough time but that's when people should rally with support and offer him help rather than start a bash fest. The armchair quarterbacks who are bashing John have no clue of what it takes to start and run a business so I'll say it again: If you can do better then go out and show us how it's done.

#3515 5 years ago

I don't smoke pot so there's no need for me comment on the issue. It doesn't affect me either way and I'm not going to try and tell other people what they should or should not do with their lives.
I will clarify my original post and say that the there is nothing wrong with commenting if your not a JPop buyer. It's just very sad to see the negativity that has been posted towards JPop here lately. John is a pioneer and a visionary in the pinball world. I for one greatly appreciate his efforts. Yes, he's having a tough time but that's when people should rally with support and offer him help rather than start a bash fest. The armchair quarterbacks who are bashing John have no clue of what it takes to start and run a business so I'll say it again: If you can do better then go out and show us how it's done.

Fair enough.

QSS

#3516 5 years ago

It's been stated in this thread many times that a lot of the grief has been self inflicted by John's avoidance of his customers.

He posted a half-decent explanation of what is going on, and that calmed things down 90%.

The armchair quarterbacks who are bashing John have no clue of what it takes to start and run a business so I'll say it again: If you can do better then go out and show us how it's done.

My criticisms are because I know EXACTLY how to start and run a business and if I did it this way I'd be out of business. I can't think of another business or industry in the world where things are allowed to slide as much as they are in pinball. This is true of MANY pinball games that are long overdue, but this is the jpop thread so we're talking about him here.

#3517 5 years ago
Quoted from Robotoes:

He had a CNC back when Ben was still on the game...so he probably still has it.

He used Ben's back then, but has since gotten his own.

#3518 5 years ago

I have 3 framed pictures of myself and John on my walls. I have paid $$$ to buy collectable items associated with JPop. Suffice it to say I think very highly of his pinball ability and contributions to the world of pinball. Having said that, no one is above reproach. Not even John.

He's on the hook for a shit load of money. That money isn't corporate money. It's everyday working peoples hard earned greenbacks. That trumps a zealous fan's ramblings. Why is it we have to "do" something for pinball to be concerned for or fellow pinhead. In the end, your right. John has done more for pinball than all of us combined. Let's hope that his final contribution isn't the death of boutique pinball.

#3519 5 years ago

Found this pic this morning..... hmmmm

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Home-Game-Room-Supply/156828614329613?fref=nf

John and Paul.jpg

#3520 5 years ago

Notice the coats and the cassette in John's hand. Conserving on heat for his workshop and still playing his boombox for shop music.

That's not a guy wasting customer money.

#3521 5 years ago
Quoted from roc-noc:

Notice the coats and the cassette in John's hand.

BTW... it's winter.

Oh wait.... I see what you did there.

#3522 5 years ago

Hey it's Paul who sold me my Space Shuttle!

I wear a sweater at work too. Heat in the Midwest is easily 1/4th of your rent!

#3523 5 years ago
Quoted from roc-noc:

Notice the coats and the cassette in John's hand.

That looks like an iPhone to me.

#3524 5 years ago

I can see a coin door on those machines at least . I hope there's nothing more to that rumor.

#3525 5 years ago

Paul: custom made balls too? U know u can buy those for $1 each?
John: yea, but these have "zidware" laser engraved in them

#3526 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

My criticisms are because I know EXACTLY how to start and run a business and if I did it this way I'd be out of business. I can't think of another business or industry in the world where things are allowed to slide as much as they are in pinball. This is true of MANY pinball games that are long overdue, but this is the jpop thread so we're talking about him here.

I've spoken to Jonh about this, asking what's taking so long why isn't he moving forward? Why is he working on Kiss pinball or AIW if he has not completed the first two pins?

He told me he is building a company not just making a pinball machine. I think that is part of the problem, I believe John would be better as a design studio than as a full scale pinball company like Stern or JJP.

A full on pinball company needs employees, IT, HR, billing, customer service, sales, legal, bookkeeping etc..

John seems more in the mode of R&D or design but that's just the fun part of making a pinball machine.

Making a full company (like Stern) is very hard and John probably doesn't have a clue, when he worked at B/W all the company resourses were in place he was just an important actor, like in a movie, the actors are important but if you watch the credits of a movie there are hundreds of people involved (usually).

If John wanted to make a company like Jack did with JJP he went about it all wrong, he needs a whole lot more capital than $1M that might be the total take for the first 2 deposits, which is why he started trying to sell more pins such as AIW, but still I don't think john had come to realize how much he has bitten off.

#3527 5 years ago

Oh this keeps getting better.

#3528 5 years ago

Super lame? That about sums up the 70 pages of worthless whining in this thread from people who have no skin in the game. Has anyone who has complained about JPop in this thread done more for pinball than he has? If not I urge you to go out and do better. Armchair quarterbacks are a dime a dozen.
Yes, the project is taking longer than anticipated but so what. Truly great things are worth the wait. This is just Big Bang Bar part 2, no risk, no reward. I'm anxious to see Magic Girl get finished but at this point it doesn't really matter if it takes another six weeks or six months. I say it will be worth the wait.

I can't do comedy like Bill Cosby, but that doesn't mean I can't say maybe he did something wrong.

#3529 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

If John wanted to make a company like Jack did with JJP he went about it all wrong, he needs a whole lot more capital than $1M that might be the total take for the first 2 deposits

Doesn't hurt that Jack has a second redemption business as a backup cash cow, nor the fact that Jack was a pinball operator back in the 70's/80's so he knows the frustrations of repair and maintenance (and what features get people playing vs those that don't).

Say what you will about Jack being late and having board issues, the company he's built up is still impressive, especially considering he started the same year as MG was announced, and he's been shipping for a year now.

#3530 5 years ago
Quoted from roc-noc:

Notice the coats and the cassette in John's hand. Conserving on heat for his workshop and still playing his boombox for shop music.

That's not a cassette, I believe it's a little known device called an iPhone.

#3531 5 years ago

MG looks sweet, if only my wife didn't have acess to our checking account

To be fair, I don't have any issue with what John is charging for these pins, I only have the problem with paying in advance because:
A) I don't know if they ever will be built
B) I don't know if I will love the game play, probably I will, but if it playes like a game I don't care for, I don't want to spend that kind of money.

I am completely in favor of John and his work and hope he makes many more pins going forward and hope someday he will get closer to the selling model of JJP or AMH where there will be both pre-order and post production sales.

#3532 5 years ago
Quoted from Foo:

Found this pic this morning..... hmmmm
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Home-Game-Room-Supply/156828614329613?fref=nf

John and Paul.jpg 187 KB

Quoted from roc-noc:

This doesn't look like the same wall in his workshop where these machines have been photographed before. Did he move, or are they (the machines) in a new location for a certain reason?

#3533 5 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

This doesn't look like the same wall in his workshop where these machines have been photographed before. Did he move, or are they (the machines) in a new location for a certain reason?

That's where they were when I visited this past October.

#3534 5 years ago

Congrats to Popaduik for unclenching enough to let the top half of a playfield out into the wild. So that's something. And no fish-eye nonsense. In my opinion it's not enough, but it's definitely movement in the right direction.

As for the shot of the three prototypes, that's the same as it was before, with the crazy-glued ramps. So, nothing new. Seeing final production ramps, now that would be exciting.

#3535 5 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

That's where they were when I visited this past October.

Ahhhh, so it is. Without the clutter of the rest of the room, that wall looks very different.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6/page/49#post-2119376

5th pic down.

#3536 5 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Congrats to Popaduik for unclenching enough to let the top half of a playfield out into the wild. So that's something. And no fish-eye nonsense. In my opinion it's not enough, but it's definitely movement in the right direction.

Honestly it's really nothing considering what was already shown in the Adobe video. That blew all the secrecy out of the water really. Whatever, I'm totally cool with owners getting their little secret garden of reveals, it just seems like this idea I had that you were seeing all the cool shit this whole time hasn't actually been happening.

#3537 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

looks Great!!!!!!!!!!

4 years and thats it?? OMG Metallica hand drawn art blows that shit out of the water in a month or less. I hope you guys get your moneys worth, but looks like you got ripped the hell off.

So underwhelming....

#3538 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

That's not a cassette, I believe it's a little known device called an iPhone.

Ya think?? "Hand flying over your head lol"

#3539 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Honestly it's really nothing considering what was already shown in the Adobe video.

I'm just trying to find *some* positives here. I mean, compared to the garbage he was letting out before - fish-eye shots of a bracket? seriously? - this is light-years better.

That said, I agree. That reveal is bullshit.

If he had any business sense at all he'd be selling T-shirts with the backglass on it, or nice giclee prints of the playfield artwork as posters, etc. There's tons of cash he's leaving on the table for the sake of "secrecy".

#3540 5 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

4 years and thats it?? OMG Metallica hand drawn art blows that shit out of the water in a month or less. I hope you guys get your moneys worth, but looks like you got ripped the hell off.
So underwhelming....

But, Met pro has peg legs and fiddley clasps. Did you see the hinges on MG?

#3541 5 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

If he had any business sense at all he'd be selling T-shirts with the backglass on it, or nice giclee prints of the playfield artwork as posters, etc. There's tons of cash he's leaving on the table for the sake of "secrecy".

Yeah, the Whiz-Bang model. Of course that means you have to actually call your backglass design "done" first.

He says he's trying to build a company, but he doesn't really mean it. Because you don't build a pinball company by doing all the R&D and design work to then only build 16 games. It's fine as an artistic statement, but as a company it's lunacy.

#3542 5 years ago

Im not looking at clasps, when playing, literally no one is looking at the clasps EVER. If that is the best he has after 4 years, yea, you wont see this as a functional game for at least 2 years and thats a bummer. Im a newb, and there seems to be a lot of respect for what he HAS done, but as a newb, Im not blinded by that, and this art is just not worthy of your money, time, and heartache..

#3543 5 years ago

Big updates on the blogs

#3544 5 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Big updates on the blogs

Looks really nice. Can't wait to actually see it in a playable form.

#3545 5 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Big updates on the blogs

Thanks for the heads up. Looking great!

#3546 5 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Big updates on the blogs

Holy F#&$!

I was pretty meh on the MG playfield artwork shown above, and it had me even more bummed about the project. But the artwork on the RAZA playfield is SICK! I certainly don't forgive Jpop for his transgressions to this point, but the playfield artwork has me more excited about the game (at least the fantasy) than I have been in a long time.

#3547 5 years ago

Anyone want to post it?

#3548 5 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

Anyone want to post it?

Buyers eyes only man. They've got nothing else for a long time, let them have this.

#3549 5 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Buyers eyes only man. They've got nothing else for a long time, let them have this.

Haha, like 1 week ago it was all "F the NDA the contract is in breach anyway!" now it's "ooo, bright shinies. Better not break the NDA"

#3550 5 years ago

Maybe things are heading in the right direction per various signals and conversations had.

There has been a whole lot of input from all over the place via email and pms. Lately, mostly feedback asking to "hold your fire" for a couple of weeks.

I have asked for John to do the conference call with all of us so let's see if that can happen in the next week or two.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Sale Pending!
Lehigh Valley, PA
Machine - For Sale
Mendon, MASSACHUSETTS
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 71 of 487.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside