(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,544 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frolic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

1,305 posts in this topic match your search for posts by frolic. You are on page 6 of 6.
#23033 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah but you are judging this as if it's an actual game rather than something that appears to be, at most, 25 percent finished, from design, mechanics, sound, rules, animations

It's sad that Zombie Yeti was never paid fully, and never received his machine that was part of his deal, because if you removed his artwork (with acknowledgement to mandraws contributions as well), you don't have much left. For the prices that are being kicked around, it doesn't really make sense.

1 week later
#23200 7 years ago

John posted video of that spinner from 2015, how does his video from then compare with it now:

https://magicgirldev.wordpress.com/2015/03/30/video-of-the-day-jinx-outlane-whizzer/

4 weeks later
#23283 7 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Are a few people still interested in paying 20k+ for these? the hype died quick after they landed in homes

Are any changing hands at all? It seems outside that first week when things were crazy insane, people now see the game for what it is, and it's not something that will be that valuable, no matter how few exist.

#23351 7 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

Well this is going to be an odd post... a post about JPOP in the JPOP thread.

Have we heard anything new about RAZA or AIW let alone anything about John recently?

Yeah, when you add up the money and number of people hurt from RAZA and AIW, it is very significant. It's very odd that delivering a literal handful of half working Magic Girls made all that disappear.

#23388 7 years ago

125 games is a heck of a BOM to finance.

#23411 7 years ago

So is it a game of hot potato now? Try not to get caught holding it.

1 week later
#23453 6 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

http://www.zidware.com
What's new in the way of MG rules, support, tweaks. Lol etc.. His site under revamp again?
What a flake.

"Social Inventions"

Guess he needs a new business direction since the pinball thing ain't happening.

lol.

#23481 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

If JPop did that, that would likely make him an even bigger villain in the pinball community by hurting the manufacturers that have actually been building working games.

As one of his victims, who got nothing from my money, not even a shirt or piece of ZombieYeti art signed by John, I wish he'd just go bankrupt already and end this. Him trying to "save" himself by enforcing a patent on existing pinballs would be ridiculous and he would deserve whatever additional scorn he earned as a patent troll.

That's not how I want my machine financed.

1 week later
#23514 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

That last aspect concerns me. I'm happy to state the facts about the contract, payments etc, but if Jpop's attorney starts attacking about Pinside usernames, postings, and basically loads of 'Jpop is victim, you are wicked bastards' distraction nonsense, then it becomes a circus.

Maybe it's beyond time to drop this civil case and just do what should be done - forced bankruptcy.

1 month later
#23565 6 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

So guys...
What would the flavor of a JPOP soda be?

I thought he already got his commemorative drink, from his preferred shop.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#23584 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

No kidding - I was at the same league night as Meegis and got to try it out.

Same here, and it suuuuuucked. The game died on my first ball.

#23596 6 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Wow! I got bupkis for my large deposit.

Me too. $6500 paid and no t-shirt, no certificate, and no Zombie Yeti art signed by John.

#23616 6 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

I only wasted a few hours trying to get MG to show Bill and the public a partially working MG at the NWpinball show.

From everything we've seen, you put together a "final" Magic Girl, since the customers all got the game with the same functionality. The game will never be more than that.

#23623 6 years ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

He is helping MG owners like me, and he never not replies to my emails

Dude, you realize there are 100+ other jpop customer's who's money paid for YOUR mg to be completed, and don't get response from John in any way?

But hey, it's all about you I guess. Glad you are getting the great service.

#23625 6 years ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

Not my money, I bought mine from an original owner/buyer who made enough to get his money back and buy a new Stern

Well then I'm glad jpop is giving such great service to the secondary market. Maybe you can ask him to respond to his actual customers.

#23638 6 years ago

I have to wonder if working for a grocery chain is some pinheads idea of a joke. Pretty funny though.

2 weeks later
#23658 6 years ago

still the same tell-tale hand coded html from John featuring 90s style tables.

I guess he needs to fill his days with something.

Screen Shot 2017-08-01 at 11.41.03 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-08-01 at 11.41.03 AM (resized).png

1 month later
#23667 6 years ago

Is John still pretending he's building RAZA? What's he doing with his days?

The whole shipping MG out was to pretend he had everything sorted out and it was business as usual.

#23671 6 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

[att=395,89 caption="IMG_0295 (resize
[att=3951071,8921 caption="IMG_0298 (resize
[att=3951071,898317 caption="IMG_029
[att=3951071,898321 caption="IMG_0298 (res

your images are not posting right, can you edit your post?

2 weeks later
#23691 6 years ago

to the editor of that website:

I think it would be a worthy addition to the story to state with those shipping MG that people who worked on the machine (specifically Zombie Yeti and Applejuice the programmer) have stated publicly that they are still owed both cash and machines for their work and were never compensated.

As well, that ZY posted that he had been approached by Deeproot to relinquish his copyrights on that same work that he was not paid for.

Probably worth adding that ZY said he won't be doing that.

#23701 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I can't wait to see how they try and thread this needle.
Any solution better not discriminate one group over another. In other words, people that joined in the Jpop suit versus the others.
It's simple to start another suit. After all, when did Jpop deliver MG and say that he is working on RAZA? Yeah, statute of limitations is nowhere near done.
Don't even F ing think about it.

If this is how things shake out I'll be joining a new suit out of principle. I was ok giving up on a failed business but I'm sure as hell not going to fund a new enterprise from my money (the money that went into zids r&d that now is being used by deeproot).

If they want that work, then I'll need to be compensated.

1 month later
#23741 6 years ago

It's pretty wild how deep and far the deceptions went, that people even at the very end could think that this game was anything other than a pretty turd.

Hell, look at what it cost American Pinball. And even AFTER they cut their jpop cord people still thought jpop was going to screw together some games by hand at the back of their factory and they were going to be masterpieces.

4 weeks later
#23758 6 years ago

It's insane that the jpop show keeps going and going, and EVERY FREAKIN' CHAPTER of it is insane. It does not stop.

#23777 6 years ago
Quoted from Zaxxis:

Here are some other interesting domains John has recently registered in august and updated back after expo.

- http://creation6pinball.org
- http://biblepinball.org
- http://creationgames.org

Quoted from benheck:

I still can't believe John made a ripoff website of my Bible Adventures game.

I have to resuscitate this part of the thread. In light of this post made by deeproot in the Jetsons thread, now that we know John was hired by them as a game designer.

Screen Shot 2017-12-02 at 8.37.06 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-12-02 at 8.37.06 PM (resized).png

So I guess we know now what will follow the original zidware 3 titles.

If deeproot is indeed indulging John on a bible game and covering his nut while he's at it, John certainly has found a great new patron. Amazing how many he's found.

3 weeks later
#23798 6 years ago

John has been working on his html and self-fellating skills again.

Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 7.57.38 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-12-27 at 7.57.38 AM (resized).png

#23806 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Where is that posted? Does he have a new website?

http://www.pinballinventor.org/

same url, but he refreshes the content regularly.

#23819 6 years ago

His use of "social justice" is so... odd.

It's almost like one of his infamous examples of hearing in passing about something, not understanding it, yet thinking it would benefit him to use it, and then not even using it correctly.

ie:

-Zombies. He never understood them but realized they were "hot" in 2012.
-A "rug" that he went and sourced for Magic Girl because of all the talk about Lebowski's rug.
-"Pussycat Bowling Pinball", because people like bowling apparently, from the success of "Labowski".

#23820 6 years ago

reposting this because it is just too awesome. For those unaware, this was a website someone found at pussycatbowling.com around 2014.

#23826 6 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

Looks like another artist didn't get paid because I KNOW he ain't drawing that stuff himself.

Looks like Zombie Yeti pencil sketch style. When you compare it against some Alice in Wonderland work.

3 weeks later
#23835 6 years ago

About time to get this shit show going again.

#23847 6 years ago

So....

a "bible adventures" from deeproot

a "Houdini" from deeproot

3 zidware titles from deeproot....

5 titles/days of deeproot?

#23849 6 years ago

I know Robert is very bullish on this, but I've said before my biggest mistake with jpop (and other pinball startups in the rainbow days of 5+ years ago) was that I went against my own business instincts and what makes sense.

Right now this just seems like a bonfire of cash, raised from "other people's money".

And the biggest issue to me, from a business standpoint, is if I allow them the "Ferrari at Kia price" and "making pinball is easy" and "we're doing this in a disruptive way" is that the MARKET for pinball is still.... TINY.

If this passed my desk as a VC play, it wouldn't last 30 seconds.

So, at least it isn't my money going up.

#23855 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

But seriously, Oursler and Nordman know their shit, I wonder what convinced them to sign up for this shit show?

Everybody has to eat, and I'm guessing there are some regular paychecks on offer.

#23858 6 years ago

Pinball is also one of the few industries where ageism isn't a factor. As much as we celebrate our designers as celebrities, you have to think about what the job prospects outside of pinball are like when you're a certain age, which generally isn't good.

#23865 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Is that about what Stern pays these days as well? Seems likely more than Stern pays, I recall a few years ago people thought Stern paid about 80k a year base to their full time designers; I do not recall what info that estimate was based on, if any.

I believe it was posted jpop paid himself $7500 a month from zidware, which was more than what Stern had offered. It's also generally known that everyone at Stern works below market rate, out of passion. $80k might be about right.

3 months later
#23997 5 years ago

Holy crap, congrats to the Heroes of this who stuck it out.

#23998 5 years ago

I decided to wait out the deeproot deadline... which is end of June, to see what happens.

#23999 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

Jpop literally shat on his legacy and his fanbase in order to make a few (well, quite a few) bucks. He never apologised, and he used NDAs and every legal trick in the book to try to beat us down. This included countersuing the plaintiffs TWICE.

Really unimpressive, so I'm delighted that justice has finally prevailed. Let that be a lesson to others out there! We will pursue you until you face justice, and the truth will out.

WOW!! Jpop can now claim whatever he wants, but a JUDGE has decided this! It went to court and his defense of his actions lost. "Ahh shucks, I don't know what I'm doing" didn't hold up! Congrats again!

#24063 5 years ago

I hope you guys get your money, but really the victory is the JUDGEMENT. In a court. John can play victim but the LAW saw it different. And he certainly tried to use the law himself against his own customers.

And this case was about his lack of delivering to his customers. This wasn't some bankruptcy court trying to figure out assets. This was open and shut he said something and did something else and harmed people by doing so.

That stain will be on him forever now. Enjoy those fruits from your effort .

#24065 5 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

I agree, NONE of it may end well for any of these companies other than Stern. .

Gary used to say there was enough business for ONE company.

He may be proven correct.

4 weeks later
#24155 5 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Goodluck to Deeproot

No shit. this is not going to give them any sort of clean start. He is radioactive and there is absolutely no closure.

3 weeks later
#24167 5 years ago

So is anyone not taking the Deeproot offer? I just can't be bothered to sign a wall of legal text to get a promissory note for a pinball machine.

In the end the debt is owed by zidware/jpop. If he's still toiling away then he's working to make me whole. Until zid goes bankrupt and then i get listed as a creditor. Till then there is a debt owed to me.

1 month later
#24173 5 years ago

So jpop is showing up at Expo. Seems like a good opportunity to grill him about his decision to sue his customers.

Deeproot showing up at expo to hype themselves up but with nothing to show is annoying because it's just smoke and mirrors until customers start receiving games. We had years of jpop doing that, and here it is again. I don't care how "easy" they say this is.

#24187 5 years ago

I just realized it was 2014, the Lebowski show, that jpop showed up with the empty cabinets. 4 years later, and he's at Expo again, talking about the same games, with no games to show.

Deeproot would be in a better position if they just extended the free game offer with no deadline. Right now it's on "faith" without seeing anything, only that they raised some money and are good at spending it, and they want people to sign a bunch of legal.

Robert, here's your free tip to defuse the expo room: Boldly announce the free game offer stands for all zidware customers, and they can accept at any time, even after the deeproot games have been shown finally. No need to leap before you look.

#24216 5 years ago

Ask American Pinball how the jpop taint went at their first expo .

The infuriating thing about jpop is he still sees himself as victim. Literally. Suing his customers is as low as it can get, and there he is. He probably thought it was a great injustice that he was ruled against by his customers at the last trial.

But he was judged in court. And lost.

So, no, I don't expect any mea culpa, combined with the fact that there won't actually be any games shown at Expo. So just hot air. Will make for a toxic seminar, but we all knew that.

#24231 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

which is a bit of fun and cathartic

We have to take our pleasures from this mess where we can get them .

1 week later
#24256 5 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Seriously, aren’t the days of “come, here us wax poetic about how great we are at building pinballs 9-12 months before we have anything to show or sell” over?

2014 called.

1 year later
#24289 4 years ago

The tire fire has sparked up again!

I got mail from a Chicago bankruptcy law firm today. I guess this dog has finally been put down.

https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/case/31083208/Zidware,_Inc

#24292 4 years ago

Would audio of the proceedings be available like with Predator?

#24295 4 years ago

I wonder how the IP being used by deeproot will be affected by this bankruptcy.

#24306 4 years ago

My memory of the lawsuit is that they DID pierce the corporate veil for that. Not sure the current state of that, last mentioned was his counter suit. Nothing has been posted about it recently.

I'm out my $6500, I don't expect anything to come to me from this bankruptcy, but this whole thing was over a long time ago.

Glad to hear "some" people got some free deeproot money, but in the end most of the zid customers lost their money and jpop will always have to carry that with him and how he chose to handle it.

#24307 4 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

Hey Hilton! Could you help me out with something? I would like to see how much F#$%^ng money we pinheads have collectively WASTED, or thrown away to these sheisters. Is there some way you could produce an estimate of how much the (four?) big failures have cost us? I can't come up with reliable estimated sales for the latest failures. Anyway....
We were in court in Cook County yesterday. Me and the rest of the claimants were there to have an actual trial FINALLY. There were 6 of us representing the entire class. Jpop was there as well. He brought a whiteboard? I think it was magic girl but I did not see it actually used, just sat there. Still no shooter lane...
My testimony was very straightforward and took 5 minutes. I paid, he did not produce, give me money back. In the end that is what the judge agreed to for me. I get all my money back. I am not going to discuss the other claimants settlements, although I will say no one got less than me. Defendant attempted to squeal about more than one issue. For example at the outset he attempted to split the claims into 26 separate small claims (side note - in a VERY BUSY courthouse like Cook County suggesting that increasing the workload by a factor of 26X to a judge does not seem like a smart tactic). In my opinion defense did not present any defense at all. Just procedural shenanigans.
Also personal liability was found, corporate veil pierced. Told ya JPop. If you don't run it like a business you can't use it to hide behind. That is what the Court found.
Just to make sure everyone knows the kind of person we were dealing with. Zidware sued us. Last week I think, or week before. Two separate lawsuits each for $50,001. Demanding full payment. He paid over $1,000 to file those lawsuits. He actually demanded that we f&^%$ng pay up for machines that are never going to be made. Dismissed I think. But still, the nerve to demand that I pay more money at this point.
tldr - we won, judgement against jpop. time to collect. does anyone remember me saying that collecting was my FAVORITE part? Gonna be a fun ride , get ready ! I think I may know a guy...

The above was posted by rommy May 1st, 2018.

4 months later
#24320 4 years ago

It's the tell-tale antiquated hand coded html from John. So this is his.

Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 3.39.04 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-04-17 at 3.39.04 PM (resized).png
#24329 4 years ago

Even in the adobe video, you could see that there was sweet f__ all happening in that office.

2 years later
#24448 1 year ago

Wow, as a long suffering zidware customer, it's amazing that we're here, at the end of 2022. Congrats to the legal group for sticking this out.

I lost $6500 to jpop as RAZA customer. I never switched to deeproot because that never made sense, I was convinced they would fail, just not in the way that they did. Considering where the money came from, I don't know I'd be any happier with a refund made from little old ladies' pension. Jpop screwed me, and it ended there.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
1,305 posts in this topic match your search for posts by frolic. You are on page 6 of 6.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frolic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6mg-raza-and-aiw%E2%80%A6/page/6?tu=frolic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.