(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,316 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 166 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,696 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sucks (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 68 of 487.
#3351 5 years ago

I'm right there with you Ftrain and praying on TBL still

#3352 5 years ago

pre-order.png
#3353 5 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

Just pulled my Wells Fargo Bill Pay history to Zidware over the last 4 years...
It kinda felt like this

Funny Sh!t FT

#3354 5 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

To this day I still play American McGee's Alice from time to time. I love all the crazy, acid trippy shit.

Dude, after 67 pages of 50 post each page of this drama, you must be on some STRONG trippy shit to even think about giving him money.

#3355 5 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I have cash in hand to pay for a AIW as I sold my POTC and got my refund for The Hobbit so I have cash burning a hole in my pocket

You got to be kidding, right?

Quoted from zr11990:

AIW is a dream theme.

... ouch. You are serious.

Unsure if/when JPOP AIW will be released, but Riot Pinball also has this theme in mind
Check this: http://riotpinball.com/node/3

If only Scott could produce WOOLY first...

#3356 5 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

This thread is pretty brutal. All I can say (after skimming some posts, NOT reading thru everything!) is to hold onto your hats for a very short while. Yes, John and his colleagues have been doing a LOT behind the scenes. Yes, he does spend most of his waking hours laboring at this pinball stuff, and progressing on everything from parts designs and orders to artwork to designing cool layouts and toys, to, well, making great pinball.
And, I have it on good word that a lot of this will be made public soon, and it will be awesome. JPOP is realizing there's no strong reason to keep things under tight wraps at this stage, and the negativity here is discouraging. So, hold onto your hats a bit longer--you may be happy you did. Games are closer to being done than many folks think. And, they'll be done right. (OK, there's always a possibility that software updates may carry on for a bit, but... )

Hey StevenP, are you by chance Jpop's lawyer?

#3357 5 years ago

This is why we can not have nice things.

I have never met a negative pinballer and have been very happy with the hobby and everyone I have met through it. Can't keep it professional or at least in the Zidware forums?

Climb down off that rag.

Post edited by Pickenheim: I f'd up.

#3358 5 years ago

#3359 5 years ago
Quoted from Pickenheim:

I have never met a negative pinballer....

#3360 5 years ago
Quoted from slapshot:

That's the rumor

#3361 5 years ago
Quoted from Pickenheim:

I have never met a negative pinballer and have been very happy with the hobby and everyone I have met through it. So this Chris F'r guy is from Coin Taker with the custom clock and all that? Can't keep it professional or at least in the Zidware forums? Well I have bought a lot of your kits and there has always been a problem with some of the items not matching especially S and CFTBL and bulbs that don't work as advertised, couldn't possibly work as advertised, and I overlooked it. And that is just simple bullshit.
Climb down off that rag.

what happened at the Zidware forum?

I'm locked out at the moment.

#3362 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

That's the rumor

That is good news, since his comments are very positive and if he has that insight.

#3363 5 years ago

Same bullshit, just saying, keep it in house, sort it out, things are going very well imho.

Is that so much to ask? You are taking a chance, give it a chance, come on now!

#3364 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

That's the rumor

I like StevenP's posts and find what he says generally insightfull and in alignment on how I feel about things here on pinside. However, if true, that's unfortunate that he didn't disclose that before painting the rosey picture he did. It just seems disingenuous.

It seems to me there is a very small circle of owners that are close to JPop that are privy to way more information the the remaining owners. That's unfortunate.

Now we need JPop's CPA to post here and we will have a full picture of the company. LOL

***EDIT: it appears the poster I quoted stated he mistyped. My appologies for jumping the gun. ***

#3365 5 years ago

Typing error.. What I meant was, Is that the rumor?

#3367 5 years ago
Quoted from slapshot:

Games are closer to being done than many folks think. And, they'll be done right. (OK, there's always a possibility that software updates may carry on for a bit, but... )

Just hang in there a little longer - all will be well

#3368 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

What are you talking about? And what does Chris from Cointaker have to do with anything?
You aren't suggesting that owners haven't given Zidware a chance are you?

I probably read things incorrectly, but my main f'ing point is that things are not perfect, so we move forward because it is mostly good.

#3369 5 years ago
Quoted from slapshot:

Is this true?

#3370 5 years ago

An actual update just posted on the RAZA blog!

#3371 5 years ago

John just posted a good update on the blog, I'm still in the process of reading it but so far I like it.

#3372 5 years ago

He also just posted a MG pic to Facebook...I'm impressed.
image.jpg

#3373 5 years ago

That ramp kind of looks like the one on STTNG.

#3374 5 years ago
Quoted from Pickenheim:

I probably read things incorrectly, but my main f'ing point is that things are not perfect, so we move forward because it is mostly good.

That's just schizophrenic.

#3375 5 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

John just posted a good update on the blog, I'm still in the process of reading it but so far I like it.

Definitely a nice long update narrative from John. Apologized for the poor communication, even included his reasons why, outlined building of a 'team' including some names, and set a timeline to show a "fully built" Zombieland in February. He even specified providing more information to the pinball community, naming Pinside and Pinball News specifically.

It is welcome to see.

#3376 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Is this true?

I don't know, that is why I asked him the question since he never said why he claims to know so much.
I didn't recognize him as an owner from the blog and someone here did mention somewhere in the thread that they had met Jpop's lawyer hanging around the shop so maybe the guy is into pinball.
Why would StevenP have more information than the owners or anyone else?

#3377 5 years ago

I'm skeptical - saying there will be a display in February sounds a lot like what he said after expo, which turned out to be nothing once the deadline hit. Why not show what he has *right now* as well as in February? That would go a longer way to deal with communication issues.

#3378 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

He also just posted a MG pic to Facebook...I'm impressed.

image.jpg 52 KB

That looks just like what we saw in the Adobe video. That was shot 2 months ago.

The caption said "just waiting on displays and Vac formed ramps" which makes it sound like those are the last 2 pieces of the puzzle. Who knows what timescale the phrase "waiting on" exists in.

#3379 5 years ago

Don't worry, you can now go to sleep for 45 days until March 1 rolls around and you will be saying the exact same things.

#3380 5 years ago

the note today is appreciated. Just wished he did it monthly, say from expo to now, would have saved a lot of grief.

Because he wrote a long thing in October (apology included then as well) and then proceeded to go dark, although did talk of a project manager and "muscle" coming on board, I'm not sure if anything has changed, or will change.

Guess we're waiting till February now.

#3381 5 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

Don't worry, you can now go to sleep for 45 days until March 1 rolls around and you will be saying the exact same things.

There is a recurring pattern, for certain.

I feel like an abused wife wanting to believe "everything will be different this time".

#3382 5 years ago

"Zidware is (in process) of bringing on some pro help including Chris in PR and Chad in operations, communications and pinball help in the studio. They both have a solid approach to getting information out and being out in front for updates and going out more to Pinside, Pinball News with timely updates as they happen. We do discuss a lot of what is going on to plan a way that will work in the future.

Obviously I need others who have a good feel for what you and the pinball community need as far as updates, communication and interaction. I do the best I can. With the current workload it is very hard for me to keep up in these items, and plow thru game development items which is the prime focus. Everything is vital though ultimately."

Looks like things are heading in the right direction and John is trying to get his shit together?

Who knows, I have people sending me PM's wanting to string him up and others that are pissed that I'm making waves for him.

I'm not sure it matters what anybody does or says.

All I know is the INFO flow needs to keep coming.

Give props to John for taking a step forward.

#3383 5 years ago

My heart and support is with every single person who has money involved with JPOP MG or RAZA.

While I understand the skepticism regarding a lengthy note on the blog, in this casual observer's eyes, it's a tremendous step in the proper direction. JPOP may finally coming around.

The picture from his facebook page is truly magnificent. Now that flame has been put to JPOP's feet, I hope an accelerated progression occurs in early 2015 for all MB & RAZA owners. And superior communication takes place.

I would love nothing more than read post after post of MG owners crowing and boasting about their new MG, for they would have truly earned the right.

Marcus

#3384 5 years ago

I am feeling a little deja vu from his posts in October. That bought him some time then as well.

Quoted from iceman44:

I'm not sure it matters what anybody does or says.

I'm coming to that conclusion as well. I'll either get my game at the end of this, or I've lost my money.

#3385 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I am feeling a little deja vu from his posts in October. That bought him some time then as well.

I'm coming to that conclusion as well.

John has to do it or not, succeed or fail on his own.

Sure we have banged our heads against a concrete wall but at least he is getting in touch with his owners on some level with these admissions?

It's a step forward.

#3386 5 years ago

His recent post seems to echo my words to him recently, that he is a great pinball designer, but not good businessman. I guess he took those words to heart. So maybe the tough love was effective, maybe we weren't banging against the concrete like we thought.

An update once a month like tonight will go a long way, and at least missed deadlines will be explained.

#3387 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

An update once a month like tonight will go a long way, and at least missed deadlines will be explained.

It's all he has to do. And be honest about it and he doesn't strike me as a scamming liar, far from it.

Hopefully he can undo a lot of the damage he has done to himself.

#3388 5 years ago

My disappointment over his latest announcment is that the Febuary reveal will be 4 months after the Expo which many people myself included were expecting much more than he brought there. I hope this later reveal is a lot more then he has been showing thus far.

Hopefully, the end result is a great game, it sure sounds great in theory.

One thing I'd like to see moving forward is more of a AMH type production/build some pre-orders but many people would be much more comfortable to be able to play the games (either at shows or at Pinsiders housee) and then be able to order when they are in production.

I am not sure this super limited-ness is too helpful, the more pins John sells will more offset the development and also the game will be limited due to the cost anyway. Can have a hard cap, but not necessarily 100% pre-order.

#3389 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It's all he has to do. And be honest about it and he doesn't strike me as a scamming liar, far from it.

I don't believe anyone thinks john is a scammer or liar; just in over his head. People react differently when the walls are closing in. Some people put blinders on and block it out hoping it will go away. Some people think they can work harder to muscle through it.
A savy entrepreneur knows when the odds are in surmountable. Hopefully John is savy enough to identify if he can succeed still with what he has and what remains to be done. Hopefully there is enough in the bank to bring these beauties to fruition. As the saying goes, " the road to hell is paved with good intentions."

#3390 5 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

Now that flame has been put to JPOP's feet, I hope an accelerated progression occurs in early 2015 for all MB & RAZA owners.

Isn't this *exactly* what people said after Expo?

Popaduik says "sorry, I'll do better," everyone eats it up, then he goes silent for another month or two and people get angry again. Rinse, lather, repeat.

This "update" with no actual new info is just a smokescreen like the last couple, intended to stop people from getting lawyers involved. Don't buy it!

#3391 5 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

This "update" with no actual new info is just a smokescreen like the last couple, intended to stop people from getting lawyers involved. Don't buy it!

Interesting... hopefully it will never get to that point.

#3392 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Hopefully he can undo a lot of the damage he has done to himself.

Are you still going to go meet with him Ice?

#3393 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Are you still going to go meet with him Ice?

I'm trying to get a conference call set up first with John, with Q & A so everybody can dial in and hear for themselves.

The blog post by John was a move in the right direction as he is apparently listening to what owners are saying and being prodded by StevenP as well, as a lawyer that has done work for him and at least has his ear.

With MG being set up for production in March, my plan is to visit in Feb based on what comes out of the calls and further info. Ideally, everybody is happy and I don't have to go.

The "financial state" of John and his company needs to get addressed by him as well. It's not just about "when" and "timelines" its about "how".

This is going to be a toughie, but what funds remain to produce the pins we have paid/partially paid for?

I hope there is some segregation of funds amongst the projects. While I would expect a portion of deposits received for AIW to go to "general overhead", we can't have 100% of RAZA and AIW deposits going to build MG.

I think he realizes that which is why there will be 50 MG's if he can sell them.

#3394 5 years ago

Fingers crossed... Maybe mg will ship this year!

#3395 5 years ago

He's going to update pinside and not the blog... Goodluck

#3396 5 years ago

Hey Ice, has the funding for his shop, equipment and patents come out of John's pocket or the owners?
Can John take out a loan from the bank himself instead of doubling up MG production, has he even tried?

#3397 5 years ago
Quoted from slapshot:

Hey Ice, has the funding for his shop, equipment and patents come out of John's pocket or the owners?
Can John take out a loan from the bank himself instead of doubling up MG production, has he even tried?

I know bits and pieces, unverified, but that is part of what we as "owners" need to find out before anybody sends in anymore money, what is the overall "financial status"?

How much does he owe to vendors? Is he working under a budget, with clearly defined parameters on each of the three pins? Etc.

Without the financial capability to complete these projects, a timeline and progress updates are great but won't mean much in the end.

I do know this, people including myself from as far back in August, have tried to give him $$$ for MG and he declined it. Maybe to not get in even deeper? Don't know, gotta find out!

#3398 5 years ago

I know he's not got the overhead of Stern or JJP with dozens of employees and whatnot that cost lots of money.

But lest say if the costs to develop an entire platform, hardware, software interface and develop two games just thinking of MG and RAZA at the moment let's say a total of 175 games.

50+125 = 175 games.

If it takes him 4-5 years and whateve salaries and equipment, CAD computers and 3D printers, vendors etc..

Let's say $800k R&D and equipment, vendors etc.. plus overhead (for 4 years let's call that $400k-$500k) $1.2M-1.3M

That's $7K per pin with and average selling price per pin of $12K

So he should have excess money to pay for the actual parts and assembly of the pins let's say $4K with leftover $1k profit per machine or money held back to deal with warranty and code fixes or cost run overs.

So it looks fine if my numbers are correct, but if the R&D and overhead are more than that, the remainder to build the pins get smaller.

#3399 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I do know this, people including myself from as far back in August, have tried to give him $$$ for MG and he declined it.

Same here, I know people who tried to give him cash and he refused to take it.

#3400 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I know bits and pieces, unverified, but that is part of what we as "owners" need to find out before anybody sends in anymore money, what is the overall "financial status"?
How much does he owe to vendors? Is he working under a budget, with clearly defined parameters on each of the three pins? Etc.
Without the financial capability to complete these projects, a timeline and progress updates are great but won't mean much in the end.
I do know this, people including myself from as far back in August, have tried to give him $$$ for MG and he declined it. Maybe to not get in even deeper? Don't know, gotta find out!

I agree with Ice all the way. If I can be made comfortable that financially things are in order and that that Zidware will have the necessary funding to actually build the games (I am in on RAZA) then I have much less of an issue with the production taking significantly longer than expected. I also agree fully that the MG, RAZA and AIW money needs to be seperate. As a RAZA owner, I obviously don't want my RAZA money being spent on MG development production and then find out there is no money left to finish RAZA. All three games should have seperate budgets tracking the funds that have been paid towards that particular game.

Bottom line is that I much prefer to get the game than even a refund and really want to see Zidware succeed, not fail. As an owner though, it would be fiscally irresponsible on my part not to demand to see something that demonstrates that the money paid is being used responsibly to produce the game that we purchased. Hopefully John is taking the steps necessary to make that happen.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 68 of 487.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside