(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,288 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 168 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,694 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png
B3F72CE8-1FCA-4E93-9994-CCC068D8F4C2 (resized).jpeg
7A86BB52-E1F5-4086-955C-86A6383C27D3 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

21 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24288 posts in this topic. You are on page 65 of 486.
#3201 4 years ago

Did the value of totan, wcs, and theater of magic just go down?

#3202 4 years ago

would love to see a real timeline on it getting done. end of story. problem is that we arent being given a timeline now. the timeline isnt linear answer is getting old....

#3203 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

JPOP will surely deliver...

Nice 4Chan ref anon.

bb8.jpg 142 KB

#3204 4 years ago
Quoted from PinsideTroll:

the timeline isnt linear answer is getting old

WAAAAY too late in the process to hide behind a statement like that. If there is so much to do you can't even GUESS as to what is left, when we're already a year behind. we're in big trouble.

At least state that, apologize that this is all taking longer than he thought, and cut checks to anyone who wants out.

#3205 4 years ago

Oh, this is as good a place as any to mention Andrew Heighway emailed me, my Full Throttle will be amongst the first batch produced starting in a few weeks.

#3206 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Oh, this is as good a place as any to mention Andrew Heighway emailed me, my Full Throttle will be amongst the first batch produced starting in a few weeks.

well played.

#3207 4 years ago

Communication is good. Congrats on ur non jpoop game

#3208 4 years ago

I'm now locked out of John's blog so hopefully that means I'm getting a refund.

I will miss his dog.

#3209 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I will miss his dog.

Really? Gtf out ... U paid money and he tossed u

#3210 4 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Communication is good. Congrats on ur non jpoop game

I'll do a pinside unboxing as soon as it shows up.

#3211 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Meaning you can't post or can't even get in to view it?

#3212 4 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Really? Gtf out ... U paid money and he tossed u

Quoted from Shrub_Light:

Meaning you can't post or can't even get in to view it?

I can not log in.

I requested a refund weeks ago, have been asking him every other day since. I think he's cutting ties, hopefully this means I will be refunded shortly.

#3213 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I can not log in.
I requested a refund. I think he's cutting ties, hopefully this means I will be refunded shortly.

After he mails you a few papers to sign and you must sign up two new buyers.

#3214 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I think he's cutting ties, hopefully this means I will be refunded shortly.

Hmm you mean we are left to guess what's going on because JPOP hasn't communicated?

#3215 4 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

John made great games when he had a support staff around him to do the mechanical work, and a management team above him making sure the project moved forward. It's clear to me he is over his head, and really has no idea what it takes to make a pinball machine - and his pride won't let him bring someone in who could save his ass.
I don't figure he'll ever actually finish a game, unless someone else does it for him. Good luck to you guys who have given him money. I think you'll need it.

It my view it isn't pride but lack of money at this point that is bringing him down. My guess is he paid himself a salary large enough to eat through most of the deposits over the last four years. A demand to see what his money has been spent on to date and what's left is important...

#3216 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

It my view it isn't pride but lack of money at this point that is bringing him down. My guess is he paid himself a salary large enough to eat through most of the deposits over the last four years. A demand to see what his money has been spent on to date and what's left is important...

I hope you guys the best but if this is true, and some version of running out of money probably is IMO, he's not going to share the info. It's going to take a court action and this whole thing will go south quickly. Again, I wish you guys the best of luck.

#3217 4 years ago

would love to see a real timeline on it getting done. end of story. problem is that we arent being given a timeline now. the timeline isnt linear answer is getting old....

The timeline is totally meaningless. I could make up a timeline of building the next space shuttle. Doesn't mean I have the know how or funding to do it.

I do not believe JPop has the know how or money (left) to build what he has committed to at this time.

#3218 4 years ago

1 Hour, 56 Minutes Ago Post #3204 ¶ Quote Report Ignore

Sweet! I just jumped back in too. Everything else is so depressing. Heighway will be a nice Ray of sunshine.

#3219 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I will miss his dog.

I'd be stunned if it meant you are getting a refund. Where would the money come from to refund you?

JPop capitalized his company through the "deposits". The capital from deposits looks to be wearing thin. If he put in any of his own money it likely was negligible. He is not likely going to reach into his personal bank account to refund anyone.

Iceman's approach is the only viable option right now that I see. Waiting for Iceman to do his thing seems to be the best approach.

#3220 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

The timeline is totally meaningless. I could make up a timeline of building the next Space Shuttle. Doesn't mean I have the know how or funding to do it.
I do not believe JPop has the know how or money (left) to build what he has committed to at this time.

And this is what the owners will have to think about and decide what they believe in terms of whether the money is gone or not, and whether RAZA can ever be made.

If the owners decide that the money is probably gone and/or that RAZA can not be produced, it would make no sense to be satisfied with a written timeline from JPop.

My concern is that if the money is in fact almost gone, JPop has incentive to come up with a written timeline that he swears that he can and will comply with, which may very well only serve to further delay the inevitable, and eat up even more of the deposit money with it. Meaning that when a lawsuit is filed after he once again fails to comply with a timeline, there will be even less money available in whatever "pot" is left.

I'm sure that the owners will all be discussing these issues in private, hopefully with Doug (Ice).

#3221 4 years ago

the timeline isnt linear answer is getting old....

Did he really say "the timeline isn't linear"? That's incredible!

snakeself.jpg

#3222 4 years ago

What a mess this has become. I was/am looking forward to seeing these games produced. I don't have anything invested, but I sure hope it works out for all involved.

#3223 4 years ago

Does anyone know how many of the 124 owners are actually on the blog? I only see the same 15 people commenting. Are we just assholes and 109 people are fine with the current state of the game? Are there really 124 owners of RAZA? Did John just never send blog invites to everyone else? Did the same people buy multiple games?

Where is everyone?! Something isn't adding up here.

#3224 4 years ago

JPop doesn't need to say much to calm the storm, here's to hoping he starts with some tangible communication.

#3225 4 years ago

Ok the blog says 46 followers. So almost 2/3 of the supposed owners aren't there....

#3226 4 years ago

I never got the access and i'm in on Raza and waiting list for MG. I have asked with no response

#3227 4 years ago

#3228 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

Ok the blog says 46 followers. So almost 2/3 of the supposed owners aren't there....

I've wondered how many are sold too.
But I do know of two guys (not including Bill) that are paid up to $6500 that never signed up for the blog.

#3229 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

Does anyone know how many of the 124 owners are actually on the blog? I only see the same 15 people commenting. Are we just assholes and 109 people are fine with the current state of the game? Are there really 124 owners of RAZA? Did John just never send blog invites to everyone else? Did the same people buy multiple games?
Where is everyone?! Something isn't adding up here.

It's possible this "silent majority" combined with the smoke blowers who visit the shop are what is emboldening John's way of handling things.

He may very well see the ones speaking up as ball breakers who don't appreciate his working 7 days a week, yada yada yada.

The only fly in the ointment is he can't back that up with a "if you don't like the way I do things, here's a check and there's the door". We ARE exposing large holes in his business operations that he is not answering for.

#3230 4 years ago

Enough is enough. Just hopped on the blog bandwagon, requesting a full refund.
RAZA#40

#3231 4 years ago
Quoted from TZBen:

Did the value of totan, wcs, and theater of magic just go down?

Pathetic and trolling. Good luck with your small life.

#3232 4 years ago

I wonder who has my old raza number I had number 8

#3233 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

It's possible this "silent majority" combined with the smoke blowers who visit the shop are what is emboldening John's way of handling things.
He may very well see the ones speaking up as ball breakers who don't appreciate his working 7 days a week, yada yada yada.

That was actually brought up to me a while back and I think you are not far off track with that.

#3234 4 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

Enough is enough. Just hopped on the blog bandwagon, requesting a full refund.
RAZA#40

and I bet your post says awaiting moderation doesn't it?

#3235 4 years ago

I hope all can get some satisfactions soon. I am not in as I stated before, but I hate to see people get so worked up. I understand the case though.

All I can do is hope that things come to fruition soon. In my talking to John he does care, but his non-communication with the buyers is defenately concerning. Even a little communication would go a long way. Well, maybe not at this point, but before this.

Last I communicated with John was Saturday, at which time he indicated: "moving ahead...showing the complete MG soon and then RAZA just after" when I said that I hope things are well.

For what that is worth. Hope everyone (including John) can come out of this well.

Chris

#3236 4 years ago
Quoted from Shrub_Light:

That was actually brought up to me a while back and I think you are not far off track with that.

His working 7 days a week has been his go to defense that he's brought up many times, so I can tell its a sore spot.

But like a lot of entrepreneurs, he is working hard not smart. Combined with just terrible business practices (ignoring problem customers until they give up and go away, taking money and no accountability, etc).

#3237 4 years ago

I don't want to be 100% doom and gloom, it's entirely possible he has a 95% plus working pin, which he shows shop visitors. He may be well along the way to production. He could show a Stern type reveal any day for all I know.

The problem is, I don't know it. I've asked him where it the pin? He says come to the shop. Guess what I can't take off, my wife would kill me if I said I'm going to Chicago to look at a pinball machine.

So what can he do? He can show us where he is. Guess what? Stern is able to do a Stern reveal because they have a track record of 30-40 pins to back it up.

Jpop is still talking as if he has a well formed pin in development. I hope he does, but to me, and I told him this, he is not reassuring his customers.

I'm not that religious, but there are many wise things said in the Bible, it says:

One does not light a lamp and then place it under a basket, instead one places the lamp on a stand so that all can see its light.

I told him this since Expo, when things started to simmer, I said f- all your secrecy, if you have anything that looks like a pinball machine you need to show it now, if you remain silent I am going to assume you have less than zero.

Plus he has his non disclosure BS, nothing has leaked from his blog, and still he won't show us owners anything. He's shown people his shop tour even some non owners, but wh won't show me anythig and I have paid for his f- en shop.

#3238 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I'm not that religious, but there are many wise things said in the Bible, it says:
One does not light a lamp and then place it under a basket, instead one places the lamp on a stand so that all can see its light.

by their fruit you will recognize them

#3239 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

it's entirely possible he has a 95% plus working pin

This is where it gets frustrating. If you can't SHOW, then TELL.

TELL US you've got a 95% shooting game.

TELL US the software is x% done, and you've got guys working on it.

TELL US production is planned to start in Q2 or whatever

TELL US based on your 33 years of experience, you can produce x per week

TELL US you've priced out the BOM, and with remaining RAZA payments the build is covered.

The reality though is I think that adobe video did pull the curtain back on exactly what is in his shop at the time of the shoot. And the other things he won't tell because he does not know the answers, or the answers are bad and he doesn't want to say them.

We've been on him for months now to tell us otherwise and he refuses.

#3240 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

Quoted from frolic:

I noticed that too, I remember the old blog listed the owners but it didn't add up either.
Ice should try to get a contact list of these other owners to know where they are at or if they exist.
I doubt John can say everyone is happy except for a couple ball breakers at this point.
I am only seeing a couple owners that are active on the blog these days that don't seem to give a damn when if ever John finishes these games or if people get refunds or not.
The concerned owners far out weigh the few praisers from what I can tell.

#3241 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

This is where it gets frustrating. If you can't SHOW, then TELL.
TELL US you've got a 95% shooting game.
TELL US the software is x% done, and you've got guys working on it.
TELL US production is planned to start in Q2 or whatever
TELL US based on your 33 years of experience, you can produce x per week
TELL US you've priced out the BOM, and with remaining RAZA payments the build is covered.
The reality though is I think that adobe video did pull the curtain back on exactly what is in his shop at the time of the shoot. And the other things he won't tell because he does not know the answers, or the answers are bad and he doesn't want to say them.
We've been on him for months now to tell us otherwise and he refuses.

Everything you just brought up has absolutely nothing to do with his ideas being ripped off.
It's completely asinine that he wouldn't have been keeping us in the loop on these things for ages now.
I'm sure most of us have seen the trend. The natives get a little restless, bitch about working 7 days a week, then throw us a bone and put up some pictures of revised art or an old toy he is dismantling to get ideas from. Now it's I'm gonna hire a guy......
What happened to all of those ex B/W people he had working for him that wanted to remain anonymous?
In hind sight looking at all the red flags I really feel like a sucker dumbass.
yeah and I know who you guys are that are shaking your head in agreement. I don't need to be reminded.

#3242 4 years ago

I was just reading some older blog updates. The update below was actually an email John sent to a RAZA owner and then posted to the blog on 10-21-14 John said it was ok to post it to Pinside and I think it is in this thread somewhere. With the lack of any other news right now I figured I would repost it. (Notice i made a few of his points in bold lettering)

by johnpopadiuk
GONNA’ BE A BUSY DAY

"Hi Jim,
The month before expo has been hectic and we have been working very hard to get as much complete and then do a nice update reveal for owners. The workshop was laid out nicely in all the areas, as I gave a tour, and people who could not make it asked for a photo “tour” of sorts in the blogs. I will do this during the week. Days fly by unfortunately.
People forget that i am doing this only for the community and to make a type of narrow body pinball that is not being made today. Do I know everything or have all the answers, absolutely not. Bit I know how to make pinball and that is what we are all paying for. I had many people who visited, later call to say they will cancel their Hobbit order (or did cancel) if I can get them a MG or anything else.
We did have a much more completed RAZA whitewood for expo, but we did not take anything as I do not do a booth and I do not show whitewoods other than to the owners. The MG protos are almost done. That is how I work as I like to show my best. Taking 2 of the complete Raza cabinets, for my talk, was fine as they are simply fantastic and spare no expense in detail or quality. These cabinets are far better than anything we ever made at WMS. This same level of pinball is in the rest of the design, artwork and play fields.
Obviously I hold my owners in the highest regard, and yes sometimes my words come out not with the intent I have on the blog. That’s why I work hard and stay quiet, as I am focused on pinball making and not too chatty. I have learned the process is not as important as the final product, which must be solid. Also I can not make “all” owners happy in all what I do or share. It’s impossible as i remind people I am not curing cancer, or feeding the poor but making a pin game.
Also any owner can come anytime to visit me and see what are are doing. Our studio is simply unlike anything else and we are organized and have plenty of room for building games. As we are now. I have many owners who just “show up” and bang at the door. No one is ever refused and I hide nothing as I love the feedback.
But I will say we are at a critical part of the journey and I have to work even harder than I do now and get some hard dates inline. The games I have created are simply my best work, and I am almost over the hump of blank sheet to complete pinball platform in the Jpop style. It makes me happy, but unfortunately not everyone. So I have a lot to prove still and pinball making has always been an uphill battle.
To make great pinball it takes a lot of hours. 7 days a week. I am always at the shop as details abound. And actually the more I get “put to the fire” from owners the harder I want to work and not let anyone down.This is my 33rd year in pinball after starting at Bally in 1981, and creating Zidware, named after my kids, and making these custom games have been the hardest thing I have done and most rewarding. Both games MG and RAZA are stunning and full of innovation.
Also (sorry to ramble) this has definitely taken a lot longer then I ever planned, but i did not know what I did not know, and can’t go back. The first year of starting actually was planning and not really accomplishing much. So most of the work now was done in the last 1.5-2 years which I am amazed at.
But there is much to do in the months ahead as I have to keep people onboard and still wanting to support my work. The “Labowski” effect worked and I have to do the same level of reveal. My team is simply great as a mix of new young artists and designers, along with many industry vets like Rob Berry and Dave Zabriskie who are doing music and sounds. I purposely keep that part quiet so they are not lured away as I have spent the last 2 years directing them for my new pinball style. Pinball unfortunately is a “cut-throat” business for those behind the curtain. I have been threatened, stolen from and otherwise been hindered at many junctures from others in the business. My lawyer and I are amazed. We have 4 beautiful patents to cover new pinball lighting, cabinet design and interactive lcd play.
Magic Girl art (Raza too) is just not like anything ever. Very beautiful and detailed. I went around expo and looked at my “competition” in boutique and was not impressed at all at any of it. Labowski was the only great game there.
I am pretty beat so this week was catch up week, do some nice updates, and we did have 45 or so visitors to the studio which I was at much more than expo. The Big Labowski showed us all a lot as people like to see this level of “reveal” as early as possible, even though the game was basically functioning and has minimal code. And yes I always ask folks to call anytime to talk about these projects as I would rather make lifelong friends and not enemies.
It is early here 3am, I have a busy day ahead and much planning and photography to do. Will call you today at some time and i always ask people if they want to get more involved in helping me grow and sustain the business to get involved. You are more than welcome to repost to Pinside as this is where we are.
Jpop"

#3243 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I just spoke with someone who is still waiting for a refund since August.

#3244 4 years ago

One person I know who is in on both MG and RAZA doesn't interact with the blog or Pinside at all, and doesn't question John on the timelines in any way - so it's possible there's a silent majority who are content to just let it ride and hopefully get a game someday. I'm not sure why he's not up in arms but I guess he's more patient and can afford to lose the money.

The key would be to reach these silent bystanders and get them involved.

#3245 4 years ago

Hmm, that line sounds familiar...

jurassic-park.jpg

#3246 4 years ago

almost half a day an' no new jpoop to gripe about?

#3247 4 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

almost half a day an' no new jpoop to gripe about?

I think everything that can be said has been said. Doug is on the matter and organizing who he can. Unless JPop does some sort of surprise reveal or opens his books or something else unforeseen I think there will be little say for awhile.

#3248 4 years ago

I have no idea what is going on. But I think games could be rolled out quickly if they are finished design wise. It is a very slow learning curve even on my part. But once you get things sourced out for production things can move quickly. I have had no dealings on this project, but I have been doing private projects.

Going on close to 2 years for new playfields for me with Star Gazer playfields. They are just about on the finish track this winter, & the next ones Seawitch will be much quicker. Glass & plastics are easy to produce. Cabinets, & playfields are pretty quick. Design has always been a slow process for most games along with finished software.

002.JPG
#3249 4 years ago

Used to see JPop himself posting in the Pinside forums. Haven't seen anything lately.

#3250 4 years ago
Quoted from Fliptastic:

Used to see JPop himself posting in the Pinside forums. Haven't seen anything lately.

He's to busy working 24/7/365..

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fargo, ND
$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
There are 24288 posts in this topic. You are on page 65 of 486.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside