(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,545 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frolic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

1,305 posts in this topic match your search for posts by frolic. You are on page 5 of 6.
#17544 8 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

He might as well have

There's a lot of things "he might as well have" done. He might as well have worked as a Subway sandwich artist the last 5 years.

#17548 8 years ago

Here's another blast from the past jpop quote:

The Best Pinball Owners!

Forgot to mention on this forum I think I have the best pinball owners period. You guys are willing to put up with a lot of extra bulk to allow mw and my team to create pinball again, a notch or 2 above the rest of the pinball crowd. We try to work honestly, ethically and appreciate every day this special time in pinball. The only way we can say thanks is to create amazing pinball. From art, to design to all the other small things most others miss.

"From art, to design to all the other small things most others miss"... that sums it up, really. Was all about the art and design, and small things (vents, hinges) and never about, you know, actually delivering machines to anyone.

And it's a real knee slapper now that he specifically mentions "honestly and ethically"... why even bring that up? Just a part of his continuing narrative since the beginning. He was never honest about the state of things, his progress, his bookkeeping, or anything else.

And ethically? Drawing a salary and delivering nothing once all the funds had been paid to himself? Stiffing all the contractors and leaving them high and dry?

He was the one that brought those words up.

1 week later
#17568 8 years ago

I can see jpop showing up for free eats at pinball life.

#17572 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

This is the behavior of a sociopath.

I looked up the term sociopath... found some interesting ways to spot one:

Look for a lack of shame.

See if the person is constantly lying.

See if they are able to stay eerily calm in spite of circumstances.

See if they are extremely charming -- at first.

See if the person is exceptionally intelligent.

See if the person is manipulative.

See if the person has a huge ego.

See if the person has few real friends.

#17582 8 years ago

uh.... jpop is "promoting" an appearance on Coast2Coast???

http://pinballinventor.org/feed.html

Capture.JPGCapture.JPG

NATE... for the love of God, at this stage with everyone's money flushed down the toilet and lawsuits flying.. this is not the time to give him a softball interview talking about his career.

It WOULD be the time to put the SCREWS to him and get answers that he doesn't want to give. That would be the only kind of interview worth doing at this stage.

#17586 8 years ago

It's the classic jpop ego to even promote this before it happens. Just like announcing Wired was going to interview him.

#17587 8 years ago

Nate, there are some people involved in this, myself included, who would be happy to give you whatever research info you need. We've seen John tell "his side" of the story a few times now in some emails... I think he has to be challenged, he can't just spew his deluded version of things.

#17604 8 years ago
Quoted from XNIF:

what was the total debt John has?

Well, take the ~$million in pre-order money he's collected to start. Then add on unpaid vendors.

#17616 8 years ago

oh boy. not even sure if I want to listen.

#17618 8 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

2 hour JPOP monologue of piss poor excuses

Hmmm. this was what I was afraid of.

#17620 8 years ago

Forget manufacturing, he never got a completed prototype done for any of his games.

#17623 8 years ago

Was he asked a single tough question about the straight up lies and deceit?

Listening to John wax poetic on "making pinball is hard" for 2 hours doesn't sound like a great way to spend 2 hours.

#17627 8 years ago
#17631 8 years ago

I'm not going to listen either. This is why I stopped calling him back in the day, he'll talk your ear off and we know his version of things.

#17638 8 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Nate, if this interview happens be prepared. Popadiuk is tangential in thought and speech. He will babble you down rabbit holes so be on guard to return him back on point. - I cannot stress this enough.

You called it, Kim.

This is why the interview is a giant let down to all of us that have been on the jpop ride, we know his MO and knew what was going to happen before it happened.

#17642 8 years ago

I'm not listening to the podcast out of some sort of protest against C2C, just that I've been burned enough by jpop to not give him 2 more hours of my life if all I'm going to get out of it is "I'm not a good CEO" and "Making pinball is hard".

I guess part of me also hoped that since John was putting himself out there, something he is NOT giving his customers, since he won't talk to them, was I'd get some sort of pleasure in seeing him squirm by being asked about how much money he personally drew from the company, why he isn't taking phone calls from customers, or even vendors like Cointaker, why he took Alice money from people long after he knew he wasn't able to deliver ANY games to ANY one, etc....

#17646 8 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

he's not a trial lawyer or a 60 Minutes investigative reporter

I think there was a hope it would turn into 60 Minutes, because if there ever was a time and place, this was it . There was also concern made before the podcast about what would happen, we were told don't worry, Nate knows what he'd doing (to that effect). I think that is true, Nate knows how to make C2C, and C2C isn't and won't ever be 60 Minutes, and we shouldn't have projected onto him a desire to get all 60 Minutes.

#17668 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Nate: Anything else you want to tell folks out there?
JPop: Yes, I want people to know I don't give up, you know, WCS took 10 years to get right...
Nate: Sure
Jpop: And don't forget about taxes... 20% gets upped off the top and I wrote the governor about it...
Nate: Yup
JPop: Yeh, its just a lot of stuff to do... and like JJP and Stern have dozens of people helping them with office stuff
Nate: Ok, thanks well Ive enjoyed the conversation and best of luck to you and hopefully the next time were' talking about games shipping.
Jpop: Thanks Nate- yeah- well- we're REALLY CLOSE to MG production and the others close behind.... and now its getting to the fun part.
Nate: Appreciate it John...

Ah, this interview was recorded in 2013... that's the only way the above makes sense.

#17670 8 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Says he does not not lie to people and tells truth

No one offered to help him

This is funny, that he says he didn't lie, and the next thing he says is a lie.

Because he also hid (not lied) and obfuscated (not lied) about the situation, no one even knew how bad things were until the very end. Hell, you listen to this interview TODAY, and his version of things, and he's got Magic Girls ready for production soon.

#17682 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

How does 20% go to taxes?
Is he talking about personal income tax? Boo-hoo welcome to the real world.
Is he talking about paying taxes on money collected? how does that work? he hasn't sold anything so no profits to speak of. I'm confused.

Too bad he didn't have a tax professional offer to step forward and help him navigate that. No one offered to help. No one said a peep here on pinside, no tax lawyers around, no nothing.

So he's left writing letters to the Governor about his bad situation. Good gravy.

#17686 8 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

I do not think the Pinball community is that small.

Pinside has approx 30,000 users and 4000 or 5000 login every day. And we know Pinside is just 1 slice.

#17689 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

he said he has no more funds coming in sinice everybody stopped sending in money

Funny how not delivering product turns off the money tap.

#17738 8 years ago

I've posted some of John's own words earlier in the thread, but I feel the need to repost to show the kinds of deceit we as the owners were dealing with. It was definitely not "ah shucks, I'm behind schedule, Sorry I don't know what I'm doing"

Posted Oct 23, 2014:

Just an update, I have a new project manager starting today and we will see how he fits in. He is a pinball guy, so most of the parts he knows, but not so much my process or style and is a PM for a large company. We have set a date to show magic girl, on a rug, for mid december and I will now work on the raza schedule and report back soon which will be after that. I still have some vendors to talk to and I am creating the transition plan for the Mission software guys.

I will still give updates on the block and try to make them meaningful as to rules and features, like TBL guys did.

As some have noticed we are actually farther along then it might appear, so the work now is to identify the missing items and get them done. Items kept in a haze are obviously my fault and I need to do better. But also there are so many disconnected parts of pinball making, it’s hard to keep straight unless you are in it daily. So for the RAZA play field I have ramps to shoot, game tweaks and finish as well as other upper features and general gameplay. Most of the art is complete and needs to be readied for printing. Still working on the other items from earlier in the week too. Jpop

Posted Nov 20, 2014 re: RAZA

At this time I would like to reveal the full game around the first week of January. Should be in good shape by then and able to have it all put together as a machine. We are finishing the back box insert panel and wiring along with other small details and cab parts, like the inner side cabinet “zombie” panels and the game controller enclosure. The topper is almost finished and ready to be installed and we have the final reactors ready to drop in. Cutting the portholes needs to be done.

Posted Jan 17, 2015 re: RAZA

I wanted to get back on the blog with some updated news and events, to let you know what we have been working on and what is being completed. Currently still on track to show a fully built Zombie Adventureland game in February. Most of the design work and art is up to date, along with much of the lcd screen art, test mode system, sounds, and other items. As reported previous we are doing separations now for the play field and back glass. So you will get a good feel for what the game will be like. We are still waiting for vendor parts and other items we have to finalize, as there are so many small details to deal with in pinball, along with making sure the game looks really nice!

Posted Jan 14, 2015 re: Magic Girl

As we continue to add more information, photos and videos to the reveal site for MG, we have the run of cabinets being made and will begin production setup on March 3.

THIS is why emotions are high, and why it's not good enough to let John tell his version of things, and not call him on the carpet.

#17739 8 years ago

And here's the quote I want to get made into a t-shirt:

"Lying to customers is not the way I work, to make them go away for a while."
-John Popadiuk, Jr

#17741 8 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

Interesting, thanks.
As someone who has not been jerked around for years, this still feels to me like he believed what he was saying. Maybe delusion and lies are really just two different sides of the same coin?

Oh, I can believe he lives in his own deluded fantasy land. I also believe the lies he told were so deep, he lied to himself. But that is not a pass, and that does not let him off from answering for that.

#17743 8 years ago

That he actually said something on C2C to the effect of "I never told a lie" is a knee slapper.

#17751 8 years ago

I'm not even sure how "great" these zidware games were going to be. Take away ZombieYeti's art, and what is left? The disaster showing of Magic Girl at the NW show showed the reality. And 4 months later, he can't even show MG again, because it sucks.

Otherwise he'd be outside expo with an extension cord on the sidewalk showing his great game and how everyone got it wrong.

#17774 8 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I don't understand how anybody at all gave this guy money.

For me personally, I was sold on the mythology of "jpop". His "30 years" in the business. I figured if anyone could succeed at this, it would be him. Frankly, watching jpop early on made me lose confidence in Predator (another game I was in on) and thankfully got out of that.

He sent out a big "buyers kit" with 10 pages of legal documents, NDAs, a schedule... how would we know at the time that it was all a charade?

Then of course were the lies, some of the most recent ones I posted recently in this thread. You had a guy hiding his work, and lying about the rest.

Hindsight is 20/20, but I don't kick myself too much for being deceived then, we simply had no idea.

#17784 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Just out of curiosity, what part of the "business" was he in after Williams stopped making pinball machines?

Well, we all know about the zizzle, which, regardless of what we think of the product, actually shipped.

#17817 8 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

"before he falls on his sword" which I guess means bankruptcy?

He's been clinging to the "I never give up" narrative, so likely it would be a bankruptcy ("falling on sword" = "giving up").

#17826 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'm just a victim. Life goes on. Live and learn. John has to move on as well and find something else to do. Take responsibility and move on.

Probably 80% of us would have been satisfied with a heart felt apology (call each person up), ownership of his mistakes, and then go bankrupt and move on. He seems incapable of that and is scorching the earth because of it.

#17834 8 years ago

I just don't see the designs being worth anything. Not with custom everything. It was a fool's errand from the beginning.

#17840 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Making games is the wrong way to go about it.

But you have the one thing he craves... the respect from the pinball community. Plus the ability to do whatever you want next in pinball. Maximum respect, Ben.

#17842 8 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

For all of those who got scammed by JPOOP: if the guy was able to produce the machines you paid for, would it make things right? I know he says the money is gone so no refunds, but if he somehow was able to make the games - Illinois has a lottery, right? - could his reputation be salvaged?

I think he'd be happy taking someone else's money (rich guy) to pay to keep going, but I suspect if he won the lottery or had an inheritance, he would not use "his" money to make things right.

#17848 8 years ago
Quoted from ataritoday:

lets say they get 500,000 downloads

Capture.JPGCapture.JPG

There are less than 30,000 pinsiders TOTAL. 500k in paid downloads would be a transcendent pinball game.

#17873 8 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

I'm sick of people still saying "if" these machines are produced. These games are coming and we need to give our full support to John so he can get Zidware situated properly and continue to do what he does for the next couple of decades at least. He's the only person in the modern pinball environment that has my full trust of pumping out masterpieces.

Quoted from Strange:

Negative Nancys. JPop is going to come through in spades. I'm sure he just doesn't want his ideas to be replicated. So limited showings until closer to full release.

Quoted from Strange:

Talk about John comin' thru in the end and all these douchebags talkin' mad shit over & over & over & over again. DOUBTFUL. That bastard is my boy. John is my boy. He's the one who really gets it...

Quoted from Strange:

Kaneda is good peoples.

#17912 8 years ago

There once was a pinball designer named John,
who fiddled till all the money was gone,
He had plenty of blame,
for everyone but his name,
His life's work was trashed as he rambled on.

#17982 8 years ago

Jpop's updated his website again, new front page, which links to the C2C interview for some reason. How can he pretend to be running a business but link to a 2 hour monologue of how screwed up everything is?

http://pinballinventor.org/

He also has a press page with the Adobe videos and some other stuff.

I have to wonder if this is all for the legal defense.... just digging in about how this is not a scam, but a failed business.

#17989 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Tell you what. If I see him there, I promise I'll go up and ask him how he sleeps at night knowing he stole a million dollars from people. That's a promise.

You know, based on everything we know of him and how he thinks, it will be easy for him to dismiss the "stole" and brush off the whole thing talking about all the work he did, blah blah blah. I think the gut punch comment should be more like:

How do you sleep at night when you paid yourself hundreds of thousands of dollars in salary and delivered nothing to those people?

Hard to defend that statement.

#18007 8 years ago

Capture.JPGCapture.JPG

Stats show more than 20 people participating.

#18012 8 years ago

That's the thing, his delusions mean he is still trying to get money from people. He's complained about how everyone stopped sending money in. He would have accepted those checks if they showed up. He blames Pinside for ruining things. This thread is what opened everyone's eyes and stopped the madness.

He blames this thread for ruining investors getting involved.

Hell, Bill knew better than most what a clusterF was going on, but still got sucked into wasting tens of thousands of dollars trying to save something that could not be saved.

This thread reflects the reality of an F'd up situation. A situation that is still ONGOING.

#18018 8 years ago

Another new user who is intimately aware of everything Pinside. Hmmmm.

#18035 8 years ago

Apparently there was "insider" knowledge that Jpop was a loon, but that was not known to the wider community until just this past year, and even just this past month with the C2C interview. So, I don't blame us pinheads who were excited to be in on something cool.

#18112 8 years ago

I appreciate the shout outs. I'm just a guy who tried to hold jpop's feet to the fire. I had hoped early on we might be able to force some change to how he operates. We didn't know at the time that it was all over well before Expo '14, and here we are a year after that and there is still no closure.

#18128 8 years ago

I don't think any of us can be shocked he is so shameless to show up. He probably thought C2C was a good interview as well.

#18145 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

but no surprise there right?

His DIY offer really symbolizes the complete clusterF of a project. Just completely clueless.

1 week later
#18232 8 years ago

Apparently the Magic Girl that went to the NW show hasn't been touched since it came back.

You would think anyone with half a brain (yes, I know who we're talking about), and with the intention to save things (which he says he's still there "working" every day to save everything) would have spent the last 4 months since the game came back fixing whatever it needed to have gotten it to some point it could have been brought to Expo, and try to change the narrative about what is going on.

Hell, I imagine most of the people involved in the lawsuit are Magic Girl buyers, since they are out the most money. If he was truly trying to avoid the lawsuit, wouldn't the logical thing to do be to finish MG? I know logic is out the window.

Even if he was afraid of showing his face at Expo, you get that prototype running and invite people to see it.

Instead, we got 4 months of who knows what, 7x14, and all the cash burn associated with keeping that shop.

I wonder what anyone else might have accomplished in 4 months, working full time, trying to complete a prototype pinball.

It just never ends.

#18250 8 years ago
Quoted from Nibbles:

Maybe he's getting ready to live in the pod?

He's found a nice place for the pod.... down by the river.

#18258 8 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

The problem with that is it was very clear (when I examined the game at NW show) that he doesn't understand how to properly apply technology, so it is highly unlikely that he would be able to "fix" the issues we all saw by himself.
Even simple technical things, such as using an opto switch correctly, he got wrong. Ultra mind blowing.
Even if you ignore the massive failure on the technical side of things, many of us couldn't even fathom how some of the playfield features were even supposed to work (or that they would be any fun if they did).
So the question is, what could John have done in 4 months to correct all those problems that he basically created himself. I just don't see it happening. The best chance he HAD was to hand it off to a fully qualified group of engineers and let them fix/edit the design down and leave him out of it (sounds like history repeating itself...). But it is highly unlikely that option will ever be available to him again.

Thanks for the insight. At least that explains the "why" it sat at his shop since then. Also explains why John would revert back to sanding white wood. Also basically seals the deal on any sort of "saving" this that he would pretend can still happen.

#18260 8 years ago

This entire situation is an indictment of crowdfunding. A million dollar raise by "kickstarter" is huge, for ideas in someone's deeply unqualified head.

Pre-crowd funding, John might have shopped the idea around to traditional backers, and MAYBE someone puts a team together, finances the project, with John as a "designer" but nothing more, and certainly accountable to the guy writing the checks. And the whole thing would only happen if there was a business plan about how any of this makes sense and could be a viable business.

Instead we got none of that, for an idea that likely would have not gotten past the business plan stage because it just never added up (certainly not as the business John created).

This whole thing will make me a wiser investor in future businesses though. And one thing I'll make certain is that the person being financed has skin in the game, not just content to operate a failed business while my money pays their bills.

#18280 8 years ago
Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

About his rejecting a job at Stern he says,and I quote:"A couple of my customers kind of forbade me to work a deal with them.They didn't want Stern parts in their games and such."

Good grief.

Can't wait till this is over and he's bankrupt.

#18298 8 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Marcus Lemonis is going to help out JPop in a February episode of "The Profit."

2015-06-24-profit-wut.jpg2015-06-24-profit-wut.jpg

3 weeks later
#18370 8 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

expect the court system to drag on for at least another year

Considering John seems to want to "keep on working", likely this WILL be pushed for as long as possible. The people I know who have visited him recently all say is he still there working.

We will likely be in this thread at the end of 2016 still wondering what is going on.

The only thing I suspect is he will leave the shop, move back to his basement or garage or wherever he started, but still be tinkering a year from now.

#18379 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Who has visited and what did the conversation entail?

Another owner I know. I'll let them speak for themselves but my impression was John is living this movie moment:

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

2 weeks later
#18385 8 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

A small minor note of interest, purple was the original color John wanted for all of the PCBs. Unfortunately purple is a custom color (please don't mention OSHpark or any of the other prototyping houses) and very difficult to get in small volume production runs. I then convinced John to do blue, primarily because of time crunch issues (gotta get it ready for that Expo reveal!). So a majority of the boards produced were in blue.

#18406 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Yeah WTF is up with Zidware? Is he continuing to noodle in the shop using his "own" money (aka the salary he should have never gotten in the first place) until every cent is gone?

Second hand reports I've had are that he's still showing stuff to prospective suckers who didn't learn anything from Bill's effort and think there is something to save.

#18418 8 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Think thats a different company? Weird as it has a clip art pop bumper on this page http://www.zidware.com/support.html and the bottom of that page and the bottom of his page http://www.pinballinventor.org/feed_aiw.html both say ©2015 Zidware Inc weird
Or are these actually tied to john http://www.zidware.com/apps.html

That's the same zidware, he made apps before getting back into pinball. His "Pinball Wizard" is listed there, as well when viewing source who can see his same hand coded html using tables that he uses on all his pages.

Looking at the apps, they are all dated 2009, 2010... so yeah, just before he decided it was easier to ask people to send him several hundred grand.

2 weeks later
#18428 8 years ago

Nothing new posted to the blogs for over 1/2 a year. John can pretend all he wants he is still working on this and that the lawsuit is an unnecessary distraction, but in the end there are no games.

Thanks again to Bill for the only "reveal" we ever got. Without that, there would still be people clinging to the cult of John about how amazing what is in his shop is, and that he's going to shock the world.

#18444 8 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Maybe one day I'll read this entire thread one day. Right after I finish my current book: "War and Peace."

This thread is more entertaining. Guaranteed .

#18450 8 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Is he obligated to communicate this to everyone?

Some might argue he has some obligation to let the people who fronted him a million dollars know what is going on.

1 week later
#18461 8 years ago

I was curious, so I jumped back 1 year in this thread... had to go all the way back to page 58.... so we've had 300 pages in the year since.

This is what we were talking about 1 year ago:

Quoted from rai:

John is really pissing me off. We are asking for a timeframe, some indication that the game is making progress in the right direction and instead he posts a picture of his dog.
BFD we don't care about your stupid dog. Build the pins already.
g3n89.jpg

#18467 8 years ago

For shits & giggles, I'm reposting what John posted on his blog exactly 1 year ago. This was only a few months before the Pintasia "I don't have any money left" announcement, and the fact that RAZA was NEVER close to completion (I've highlighted a few places), and MG was barely playable:

Zombie Winter Update

I wanted to get back on the blog with some updated news and events, to let you know what we have been working on and what is being completed. Currently still on track to show a fully built Zombie Adventureland game in February. Most of the design work and art is up to date, along with much of the lcd screen art, test mode system, sounds, and other items. As reported previous we are doing separations now for the play field and back glass. So you will get a good feel for what the game will be like. We are still waiting for vendor parts and other items we have to finalize, as there are so many small details to deal with in pinball, along with making sure the game looks really nice!

All these important items will be posted separately and continuing on until all is shown. A lot of work has been accomplished and I need to get it out. I can only ask forgiveness in all of this, as a pinball designer (that is what I am really), I am trying to do what has never been attempted ever, to make the pinball community more vibrant and exciting for all while building the best games I have ever been apart of. That is what I want to do, and all the work and platform we have made has come from a blank sheet of paper.

Zidware is (in process) of bringing on some pro help including Chris in PR and Chad in operations, communications and pinball help in the studio. They both have a solid approach to getting information out and being out in front for updates and going out more to Pinside, Pinball News with timely updates as they happen. We do discuss a lot of what is going on to plan a way that will work in the future.

Obviously I need others who have a good feel for what you and the pinball community need as far as updates, communication and interaction. I do the best I can. With the current workload it is very hard for me to keep up in these items, and plow thru game development items which is the prime focus. Everything is vital though ultimately.

Also we are agreed here to begin to show all items and features related to the game. For example, we have ended up with a larger inside cabinet wall next to the playfield, and decided to create “interactive mirror blades” (I call it 4D play), which are part reflective, part illustrated decal, and part mechanical. So for raza we have the monster on the left wall and the zombie-shock ferris wheel on the right as part of this new pinball feature.

Also it looks like we will be able to have the new lcd mini play field as I talked about earlier. A good source of quality / affordable lcds has been found along with the new Invidia Graphics Control board to drive things, that has a rocket graphics chip section we are testing. Our current patent application covers lcd devices in the playfield space, as a back panel, play field or interactive device.

The development blog will be used less, starting in February, as we will move all news and information to the Zidware web site, and more frequent posts to Pinside or Pinball News. We would update with game info, pictures, inside pics and other basic items as we move towards setting up for production planning in April.

Part of our task list for this winter was review where things are dev wise and also visit some other small boutique manufacturers to see their shop, operations, and get our space set up. We are almost complete in the design of our efficient build space to handle game assembly. Talks have gone on with some potential partners to help us grow a bit and provide added experience, value, but this never goes fast enough. Also the factory facility where we make our cabinets and playfields, has about 4x more square footage of extra manufacturing space with a dedicated team of production help (if we need it) who have experience building complete games for Sega, Raw Thrills, Global VR, Namco and other companies.

Also Adobe® Systems Incorporated (makers of Photoshop and Illustrator) have created a really interesting feature on one of my artists, Jeremy, and came to the shop to film us working. This feature was slated for release this March, but they pushed it for January release to iPad and the website because it caused so much internal excitement. We use mostly Adobe® products in our game design process.

http://inspire.adobe.com/2014/12/18/zombies_yetis_pinball.html

Ok, back to work for me now. I will try to get caught up on internal items as best I can, and keep moving forward. Actually the game building (as we have completed much already) is something I feel we have a good handle on, as we move forward to make high-quality custom products as the focus now is on showing the completed game to all. I have learned putting a pinball game together is not the same as putting together something of quality. Jpop

#18468 8 years ago

Knowing the ego on this guy, it's a bummer he got to felate himself with the Adobe feature, but I'm glad he never got to do his big reveal standing beside his machine at NW and after that the ruse was up and he was persona non grata and doesn't show his face anymore.

#18471 8 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I talked to him at one point as well about doing some coding, and then I talked with a few folks who had dealt or worked with him, and the message was loud and clear: DON'T

Boy those people sure did you a kindness.

And John's version of things is people don't step up to help him and that's why this failed.

#18480 8 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

If he stopped there, we would call him a scam artist.

Thats-Gold-Jerry-Gold-Kenny-Bania-Seinfeld-Quote_(resized).pngThats-Gold-Jerry-Gold-Kenny-Bania-Seinfeld-Quote_(resized).png

#18481 8 years ago

I actually know Mike Hanley, and he visits (or did) jpop pretty regularly, and it was his "reality distortion field" reports to me about how things were going, which were contrary to the reality I knew was going on, that I realized John lies to his best friends. Then I knew what a big problem we had. Too late, obviously.

#18485 8 years ago

Aaron, I'm curious... with everything we know now, do you think there was any way to "save" John's games had he sent a MG playfield to you a year ago?

Was enough of it completed to even take it to a finished state? Or was it impossible?

#18487 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Half the mechs wouldn't work as designed.
These games were never going to work, ever.

That's my understanding. Was curious to hear Aaron's thoughts though. Or was it another "bullet dodged" like some of the others and would have turned into a nightmare.

#18491 8 years ago

The one thing I get comfort from is knowing he ran out of (our) money. No more free ride. No more making more money from "not" making games than those who are. From what's been said, he's been out of money for over a year. A year of his life wasted. His delusions and ego finally got the best of him and there's no one left to bail him out.

#18496 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

No way, this thread needs to stay bumped and readable. Don't let people forget what a piece of crap JPop is.

True. He's still out there "trying to make it work". Translation: Trying to find someone else with money.

He's blamed this thread for ruining things for him previously. Just imagine all the additional money and people hurt by throwing more money at him.

That Pintasia announcement alone said the games had years left to complete them. And those were his own words.

Besides, Pinside has a "drain" feature. Drain away.

#18513 8 years ago

This is the bed he made.

#18526 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Oddly enough, I've run into some people that are still friends with him and think he just made a mistake.
I'm not going to call them out, but it surprised me.

That's like those people posting to the MAD Amusements thread "Well, I'VE never been ripped off by him".

This isn't some story of a customer that couldn't be satisfied and is now ripping you a new one on yelp. This is 100+ people screwed out of a million dollars, much of it sent under false pretense ("games will be built next month", "playable prototype behind the camera", "these people are now on my team", "big reveal coming at expo", etc), and a huge chunk of which went straight into jpop's pockets for delivering NOTHING. He did not fail honorably.

Yeah, I'd suggest his "friends" take a good look at themselves if they're ok with this.

1 week later
#18554 8 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

I told John that I wanted to bring my small business experience to the table for him and not just help build the game.

Quoted from fastpinball:

I got to know a lot of the owners through the experience. A lot of great people in a tough situation. Each with their own background and expertise that could have been used to help drag this project to the finish line. Many people were willing to help, as we all saw, there was just no way to help John with John in charge.

This is what's so infuriating about John's version of events, saying no one would help him. In reality he probably had more people willing to roll of their sleeves and get this done than probably any other business i can think of. That is in spite of the fact that John really doesn't deserve anyone's help.

Thanks for the insight. Based on the clusterF John has created, I'm going to say you probably were one of the lucky ones and didn't have your own business ruined by getting involved with him.

Good luck with FAST, I hope it works out.

#18559 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

I would do a Kickstarter

Of course he would. Free money, no skin in the game, pay yourself until the money runs out and then shrug your shoulders. What's not to like?

#18573 8 years ago

Well, for fun I decided to revisit StevenP's posts in this thread.

Some interesting exchanges...

Quoted from benheck:

I agree, just start over.
The only value in the IP is the artwork. Zombie Yeti is the star of this show. Imagine what he could accomplish if his work didn't have to be squeezed through the cheese grater of John's mind?
Save your 9k and buy a game from whatever company hires Yeti to make something just as pretty, but much cheaper, than Zidware crap.

Quoted from StevenP:

I gotta disagree with this. Are you really saying that the 2 complete layouts, custom parts and lighting designs, music/voicework, new toy designs, etc. are all worth nothing? It will be interesting to see how people compare the MG prototype to AMH in a few weeks, I guess.

This is pretty funny now, as we are apparently on the cusp of a ZombieYeti pinball being released, and it ain't the one he worked on for 4 years with John. The dig at AMH is completely hilarious in light of almost every AMH has been delivered to every customer at this point.

And now that we're a year past the nuclear meltdown of zidware, apparently all of the work there HAS been proven worthless, no one has been able to figure out a way to save it, and the much hyped mystery prototype was exposed as completely lackluster.

Quoted from StevenP:

He does have a lot to show for it. I'm not being an apologist for how everything was handled, but just trying to clarify some misperceptions. There are 2 virtually complete games designed, production-quality parts and all. One should be revealed very soon, if what I've been told is correct. Just because he hasn't shown it (for whatever reason!) doesn't mean there's nothing to show. Anybody who has visited his workshop knows this. And I can't imagine somebody would try to step in to get the games done if they were just in early stages of development.

This was repeatedly thrown back at all the doubters, that there was a "virtually complete" game sitting in his shop, but here we are.

#18583 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Unless I read wrong John and his wife are both listed as Vice Presidents in Zidware. Who is President and are there any other officers?

Some people use that as a trick in small business, instead of listing yourself as President, you list it as a lesser position, to make it look like the organization is bigger than it is. Otherwise it appears like a 1 man show, even if it is.

#18597 8 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

The legal costs are the big expense for Patents, not the applications which have fairly inexpensive fees for small entities.
How is JPop paying his Intellectual Property lawyer to keep on representing him? Regardless of the method of payment (be it money or pinball stuff) it is likely funded by the pre-order people who seem to have lost all that they put into Zidware.

With jpop officially unable to make good with his customers, yes, I'd call any money he's paying anyone "dirty" money. That was handed over in good faith, to pre-order a pinball, not to fund jpop's delusional patents.

Even at bottom basement rates, in the end that is our money he's got and is paying for patent work. And what do we get out of this? A big fat zero.

#18603 8 years ago

John's been spending time on his website again.

http://www.zidware.com/inventor/index.html

Interestingly, the C2C interview links are now gone.

The rest of the self felating press links are there, like his favorite, "The Next Steve Job's of Pinball?".

#18623 8 years ago
Quoted from CraigC:

Honestly the best thing about John's games was the zombie yetti artwork, without this they would have looked way less professional. Mg looked like John's greatest hits smashed into one game, raza seemed to be better off, but the layout was kinda goofy and I wondered how well it would have shot....Well for a few shots until all the plastic parts cracked.

Yeah, I don't think John would have been able to buy the years of quiet from his owners without the ZY bread crumbs he kept dropping for us.

Even at the end, he kept going back to the ZY well, to try and buy more time.

I guess because that was the one thing he kind of knew how to do, art direction. Although with an unlimited budget and no deadlines, for endless revision.

3 weeks later
#18669 8 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

Right upside the head Tuckey! Do it!
LOL Found this photo from my expo 2014 photos I took. Hehe

20141016_152402_(resized).jpg

Can't believe (I still can't) that the delusional bonehead was all thrilled about bringing empty cabinets to expo after 3 years of development, and then stood around while everyone felated him (at least in his own mind).

#18672 8 years ago

be careful with the image search on that one

#18673 8 years ago

Here was John's blog post 6 weeks before that expo:

“well we are working on a nice update for Expo. the artwork, design and other items are being finished. designing and brainstorming ideas does not stop in a game process for me. at WMS items would be removed or added during the late stage or during the pro to run if earnings are low. if I see something that will work, and we can squeeze it in then we will. I would say we are about 75% complete and I would like to do a nice reveal in October. Jpop”

And that was RAZA he was talking about....75% done. summer of 2014. har har har.

Of course Magic Girl was 95% done.

#18677 8 years ago

I am supercareful nowerdays,i learned from my experience with John

This is my takeaway as well. It was an expensive lesson for me, but I hope it saves me from a much bigger loss down the road (business investments, etc). No more putting my money into something "on faith".

Also never again will I put money into something where the principle has no skin in the game. If your house is not on the line I'm not putting my money in and letting you operate a failed business off my money till the money is gone.

#18683 8 years ago

Sick thing is,you normally never see a customer again when you bounce a deal,but in this case, i still see john's stupid head daily when i play my CV.

Why don't you add googly eyes?

googly.pnggoogly.png

#18684 8 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

I've often wondered why guys show up at venues with long dirty hair,obese,stinking of beer,and think it's kool???

And we wonder where all the women are.

#18688 8 years ago

Yeah, I don't see Ben staying involved having changed the outcome. John never would have allowed Ben to 'get shit done', and definitely wouldn't have made Ben privy to the money situation and cash burn. There was no saving this from the get go.

#18689 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Yes a pinball about me IS a stupid idea, I fully agree. At the time I was OK with it because it was quite flattering.

The only thing I didn't like about the game concept was your name over the title since that was confusing. But I liked "crazy Ben Heck" taking over an amusement park of zombies. Seems somewhat realistic .

It's funny now too looking back, knowing what we know. When John presented the change from "BHZA" to "RAZA", he never said anything about why that was. Or, the real reasons at least. It did give him more reasons to spin his wheels and revise the artwork umpteen more times though, which I'm sure he was happy to do.

#18693 8 years ago

So I'll finally have a ZombieYeti game when my GB LE shows up.

I guess that will be John's true legacy... beyond becoming "the most hated man in pinball"... that he brought ZY to pinball. I'm sure GB will not be the only ZY game, we will see more.

Initially we thought ZY would never get a pin because all games are licensed and you can't get licensors to approve new artwork, but at least we now have 1 licensor that will (is it Sony?). Probably doesn't change things with some of the other movie companies, but maybe we can get some others, likely never Fox or Disney (Marvel, Star Wars), but hopefully some future Sony properties will allow him to do it again.

#18702 8 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

That's interesting, glad to see he is no longer keeping his arts and crafts area paid with everyone else's money while he refuses to refund. Can anyone verify this info with first hand site?

Haven't seen it first hand but considering he was way behind on his rent before Bill paid for it, he obviously fell behind again and had to leave.

Over the last several months there were reports of potential investors coming to look at the games, but as per usual nothing panned out.

I don't know how many investors have come in to look at it, but it seems like none of them learned anything from Bill's decision to walk away. Everyone still thinks there is something left to save.

And the fact that now there's been I-dont-know how many potential investors/saviors and NONE of them see a way forward. I know that John would just love to "walk away" at this point, and have someone absolve him, and even with that there is no deal.

I'm sure the numbers that have been kicked around by Ben and others, about how you would literally be better off starting from scratch than trying to save this mess have proven true.

I just wish this farce would end already.

#18705 8 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

from what I gather he is still complaining about Pinside & now his legal strategy appears to be trying to threaten defamation against those who filed suit against him in order to get them to go away

HOLY F__K!!!! That makes my blood boil.

He has learned NOTHING, he takes ZERO responsibility for this mess.

It's 2016... he has delivered nothing to anyone. The money is all gone. He has no way out. And he wants to threaten his customers? Just when you thought this couldn't get worse.

#18711 8 years ago
Quoted from VacFink:

Maybe this thread should be moved to the basement, it just dawned on me having it in boutique implies there's a company behind this effort and in some ways validates it as part of the category. Since its no longer about making machines or any that any machines will be made, its really not deserving of remaining.
Maybe that's some justice to strip it of even its slimmest of reality and begin to bury it in the hole where it belongs.

Not sure how it benefits anyone other than John to hide this thread, especially when he is still trying to get money out of people.

4 weeks later
#18741 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

You never know, he may still find someone with more money than sense to fund him.

I think that's been John's plan for some time. There's been rumors, one after the next, of interested parties coming through to look at it. It's actually pretty shocking to keep hearing that there's always "Someone else".

At this point a lot of experienced people have looked at it, well heeled people, so what the latest person thinks they can pull off that the previous people couldn't... i have no idea.

#18745 8 years ago

If someone wants to give John a big check, have at it. Enjoy the blinky lights.

#18762 8 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Gone it may be but the frustrating thing is it was not all spent on development...a big chunk of it was spent on JPop's salary (and possibly a salary for his wife) as JPop raided the money to pay himself so he could pay his personal mortgage and bills.

I think it was Ben that broke down if you subtract John's (alleged) salary, and then the shop rent for the same amount of time, and multiply that over the 4 years, how little money there was left over for pretty much anything else, and certainly nothing left to build games.

It's so laughable that his defenders then would argue about how John was so frugal... keeping the heat low on this huge shop, where he rented the other side and built a door... for nothing (other than junk storage).

Then you consider the stories of John writing the Governor of Illinois that the taxes were too high and preventing him from being a success.

He's got lots of blame for everyone but the guy in mirror.... who's the real victim here.

#18763 8 years ago

I reviewed the blog, because I remember him talking about the door and taking over the space next door.

This was march 2014. Expo "Empty Cabinets" was October 2014. Even in these blog posts he mentions the RAZA cabinets.

So basically, he rents the space next door, busts open the wall and builds a door, and then the next 5 months are spent building the empty cabinets that he brought to expo. And was so deluded he actually blogged "Great Pinball Expo Week", before the shit hit the fan.

Screen_Shot_2016-04-22_at_7.45.19_AM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-04-22_at_7.45.19_AM_(resized).png

Screen_Shot_2016-04-22_at_7.43.56_AM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-04-22_at_7.43.56_AM_(resized).png

#18765 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Here's the big finale:
Nate: Anything else you want to tell folks out there?
JPop: Yes, I want people to know I don't give up, you know, WCS took 10 years to get right...
Nate: Sure
Jpop: And don't forget about taxes... 20% gets upped off the top and I wrote the governor about it...
Nate: Yup
JPop: Yeh, its just a lot of stuff to do... and like JJP and Stern have dozens of people helping them with office stuff
Nate: Ok, thanks well Ive enjoyed the conversation and best of luck to you and hopefully the next time were' talking about games shipping.
Jpop: Thanks Nate- yeah- well- we're REALLY CLOSE to MG production and the others close behind.... and now its getting to the fun part.

I had to refresh my memory on the Governor letter... it was from C2C quoted above. That interview is now 6 months old, and yet he was claiming them to be "REALLY CLOSE" to MG production. just like always.

#18788 8 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I missed that one entirely. What an incompetent boob, no focus whatsoever. He figured he would just keep taking payments in forever.

The best part of the pussy cat bowling story, was when the url was uncovered originally in this thread, and that picture was posted, the website was changed literally an hour or 2 later the same day and all that info was removed. It gave us conclusive proof John was lurking in this thread and watching it in real time. And the thread was moving pretty hardcore then.

#18797 8 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I just checked the USPTO Public PAIR case information for US 13/709,056 and Steven P is still acting as his attorney and JPop is still pursuing patents. He has now filed an appeal (filed 4/4/16) to try to overturn the examiner's rejections.

Add USPTO to John's list of blame targets. All part of what is holding him down.

#18798 8 years ago

But hey, John DID get his patent for his cabinet design! That and 2 bucks will buy him a coffee! Good thing all those months were spent on that patent.

#18809 8 years ago

This was never going to succeed with John running things, in charge of bank account, etc.

He announced he brought on a project manager, but then stopped taking his calls. He was never accountable to anyone, including us.

1 week later
#18834 7 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Unless he had a set delivery date, nothing is breached. He can go to court and state he is still working on it.

I don't have the agreement in front of me, but there was an initial date given, and words to the effect that if the delivery date changes, that will be communicated to the customer.

He doesn't have the right to disappear for years and pretend he is still working on it, not updating his customers or answering their calls. All blogs have been abandoned, his facebook deleted, website not updated.

So, any lawyer in court will make mince meat out of his "I'm still working on it" defense.

2 weeks later
#18873 7 years ago

This was sent out May 23rd, 2015.... happy anniversary dead Pintasia announcement

RE: PLAN OF ACTION FOR PURCHASERS OF MAGIC GIRLTM, RAZA AND AIW

It is with great excitement, determination and love for pinball that has led me to pursue and find a possible

solution that can be announced to you today. I want to take this opportunity to thank each and every one

of you who believed in the magical designs that have been created. I acknowledge and appreciate the

faith you have in placing deposits with Zidware, Inc. (“Zidware”) to deliver to you incredible machines that

take pinball to another level. Thank you for your patience and support ...this well-deserved update will

give you a good idea of where we have been and where we are headed in the future.

First and foremost, my apologies for not being a better businessman. In the past, great success was

accomplished by focusing on what I do best... design and artistic direction of games. The business

mechanics were left to the executives at companies such as Williams and Bally. I did not realize what it

entails to run a company and get a machine designed and produced from start to finish. At the rate that I

have been going, bankruptcy would be inevitable absent some type of corrective action. Zidware no

longer has the ability to get Magic GirlTM (“MG”) into production let alone Retro Atomic Zombie

AdventurelandTM (“RAZA”) and Alice in Wonderland The PinballTM (“AIW”). A copy of current financials will

be available evidencing the impossible predicament Zidware currently faces. Further, the delivery of

machines to my customers who have placed orders and provided deposits has always been my primary

concern and a responsibility that I take very seriously.

Therefore, I have sought out a solution to bring these games into production and to benefit all purchasers

who have continued to believe in me. Apologies for the lack of communication, however it was best to

find a workable solution first, rather than to string everyone along on false hopes. At this point I have a

plan in place and therefore am taking this opportunity to share it with you. My hope is that with this solid

plan, you, as a purchaser, will be supportive of this endeavor and remain patient and work with this plan

to achieve the desired goal of producing MG, RAZA and AIW machines.

What is the plan and how will it help the purchasers of Zidware products?

In a call for help, one of my customers, a businessman specializing in the restructuring of companies,

realized that there was no way Zidware could get this project over the finish line and into production. He

was saddened by the fact that many would suffer a loss and it would be a black eye for the pinball

industry and my reputation.

Over the last month or so, this individual and his associates have done extensive due diligence on

Zidware to determine the best plan of action. They have assembled a team of professionals capable in

bringing pinball machines to production under a new, unrelated company. I have granted this new

company (“Licensee”) an exclusive license for MG, RAZA and AIW. They will then be able to take MG

from its current state to the point of production, along with potential orders for RAZA and AIW. Once

these machines are produced, the Licensee plans to continue and grow to become an industry leader in

creative unique pinball design.

{34564: 001: 01634628.DOCX :2 }

What can you expect next?

The Licensee is now underway to complete a master prototype Magic GirlTM. An announcement will be

made as to when this will be, however the goal is to have it ready in time to unveil at an upcoming show.

From this point forward, information and progress will be provided by the Licensee as Zidware is no

longer in control.

This group is currently in the process of negotiating with proven known quality manufacturers to get the

games produced. As soon as this is contracted, purchasers will be notified and given a forecast of the

timeline to complete development as well as release dates for final product. As it stands today, the

anticipated timeframe until production of MG is approximately 2 years or sooner.

As for the other 2 games, art work will be under the Licensee’s direction and prototypes will be

forthcoming. I have agreed to independently consult with the Licensee for continuity to complete the

pinball designs for all 3 games. The timeframe until production of RAZA and AIW product is 2 to 3 years

post MG production.

I encourage fellow Pinheads to allow this team to help make these games come to life. The Licensee has

already made significant investment in both time and money to get where we are today. They have

acquired the licenses for these games not motivated by profit, but to make the designs a reality and forge

a viable path for production of these products to Zidware customers. The only other alternative is that

Zidware would be forced to file for bankruptcy, resulting in virtually nothing to the purchasers and none of

the games that we have worked on all these years will ever be produced.

We need patience, positive input and support from you and all of Zidware’s customers. Once each

purchaser has responded back with positive intentions, the Licensee will be formally announced and be

able to continue to move forward. However if there are any clarification questions regarding this letter or

agreement, please do not contact the attorneys directly, instead you may send an email to: Magic Girl

Info . The Licensee has already indicated that they will be opening the

doors to share the progress with customers and welcoming everyone with open arms!

To be clear, there will not be any refunds as Zidware lacks the cash reserves necessary to return any

customer deposits. The Licensee is here to create and build pinball machines and it is not responsible for

Zidware’s liabilities. Nonetheless, working together, the Licensee will have the ability to produce

machines and Zidware customers will be provided credits for deposits made. We are very lucky that the

Licensee started down this path to help the pinball community by trying to rectify this situation.

This is what we need in order for the Licensee to move forward, please take advantage of this opportunity

and complete the attached agreement prepared by the attorney for the Licensee. This is what is required

from you in the attached agreement in order for the plan to succeed:

1) Confirmation of your intent to complete the purchase of the ordered item(s) by executing and

returning the attached agreement so that the Licensee does not expend resources for customers

who may not wish to complete their order.

a. Magic GirlTM – original purchasers. The Licensee is already in talks with potential

manufacturers to create a Magic GirlTM–Collector’s Edition, limited to only 199 worldwide

for those who have already purchased or provided deposits. This is first come first serve

as we will close off as soon as we reach 199 orders. Zidware deposits will be converted

to credits dollar for dollar.

b. RAZA or AIW purchasers. For those who have placed a deposit on RAZA or AIW, the

Licensee is allowing these purchasers to convert their deposits to credits towards:

{34564: 001: 01634628.DOCX :2 }

i. Magic GirlTM–Collector’s Edition ($15,995) – Limited to only 199 worldwide,

this is first come first serve as we will close off as soon as we reach 199 orders.

Zidware deposits will be converted dollar for dollar, 1 (eg. $6,500 deposit =

$6,500 credits).

ii. Magic GirlTM-Classic (TBD estimated at between $9,995 to $11,995) – We are

offering a new edition of Magic GirlTM with all of the same functionality and

quality, since the final product is yet to be finalized and we don’t have actual

BOM, we can only provide the price range. Any customers interested in this

option will have opportunity to confirm their purchase at time of release of actual

price. Zidware deposits will be converted 1:2 (eg. $6,500 deposit = $3,250

credits) for this option.

Once you take delivery of your machine, you have an asset in hand and the ability to keep it or sell it

for cash. You will also have the ability to sell your position. Should you wish to wait for the possible

creation of a RAZA or AIW, that option is also available.

2) Agreement that you will not bring any action for money damages or specific performance against

Zidware, the Licensee, the manufacturer, or any of their directors, officers or members during the

earlier of:

(i) delivery of the product or

(ii) 4 years

This is what we need to move forward; we ask your cooperation to support us and allow Zidware to get

the Licensee what is needed at this time. This is the only plan that will possibly get these machines

produced. It is time sensitive as we need to move quickly or I will have no choice but to pursue a chapter

7 bankruptcy filing resulting in the liquidation of Zidware without delivery of any of the games and virtually

no cash to Zidware customers.

This plan is for you, the Pinheads that want something that is a true work of art, quality built that can be

treasured for years to come. I have now found the right business team that is dedicated to try to get my

work to the finish line and into production. Help me to help you get what you came to Zidware for...a

pinball machine that you will be very proud of to have in your collection!

To Our Success!

Best Personal Regards,

ZIDWARE, INC.

John Popadiuk

President

That deal is (long) dead, but we're still here, and John is still toiling away some where today. He sure knows how to run out the clock.

#18875 7 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

I'm not trying to open sore wounds

The wounds never closed up... nothing has changed!

Oh well.... as I've said before, John has/is continuing to waste prime years of his life now. Prime work/earning years. That money he took from us while he was on the ride will be a pittance to what he lost. Think about how you did this past year in comparison. He's screwing himself now more than he's done to any one of us, so take whatever you like from that.

#18889 7 years ago

Interesting development. I googled the phone number, this came up:

http://www.b2byellowpages.com/company-information/099365272-american-pinball.html

Also found this:

https://app.oneteam.net/Profile/american-pinball-inc-7HK98

Says business start date was nov 2015.

I had heard rumors around that time about another rich guy (next in line of many), and John even told a MG owner I knew that he could have his machine by January (har har).

I googled the name registered, and matched someone in Illinois, and possible connected to this company:

http://www.us-tech.com/RelId/988747/ISvars/default/Aimtron_Growing_at_Home_and_Overseas.htm

http://aimtron.com/who-we-are

Who knows what the status of any of this is today.

#18890 7 years ago

Even more interesting, former WMS alumni Ron Sommers now works at Aimtron:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/ron-sommers-61149913

#18892 7 years ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

Yeah but Ron was at several companies inc nep electronics after williams

Who knows what is going on. I'm making no claims. All we've deduced is:

-There is a company called "American Pinball" registered to an address in the same building as jpop's (old) shop.

-One of the principles of American Pinball is also involved in a company called Aimtron

-Aimtron is a manufacturing company

-Aimtron employs someone who used to work at WMS the same years as jpop.

#18894 7 years ago

The bummer about all of this is the Nov 2015 registration date. 6 months ago, and not a peep. Probably another Pintasia situation where they realized it was a clusterf___ after the fact.

#18899 7 years ago

Dennis Nordman and Cameron Silver visited this last
week (to check up on me) and were floored. They could not believe the
progress of the games and how beautiful they are and creative.

And then John blogged about it at the time, because he needed "good news" to share with us. I'd love to hear what the reality was behind this post, just like when John posted about the Mission guys coming on board. I bet this would be news to Cameron that he was joining the team.

Screen_Shot_2016-06-01_at_7.25.10_AM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-06-01_at_7.25.10_AM_(resized).png

#18900 7 years ago

For shits and giggles here again was the FAST/Mission announcement:

Screen_Shot_2016-06-01_at_7.29.45_AM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-06-01_at_7.29.45_AM_(resized).png

And to think the guy doesn't understand why his customers turned on him.

#18908 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

100% correct. The swindled will want to know whether they can garnish his wages assuming they eventually get a judgement against him in court.

If he went bankrupt a year ago, assets were liquidated, perhaps (I'm dreaming) a heart felt apology was made... I think everyone would go on with their lives, and it wouldn't be right then to snoop into what he's up to.

But that isn't the case at all. He's still pretending to be working on it. Some people are suing him. Others, like myself, aren't. We're technically customers in good standing (ha!) and we're the ones he's still working for (ha! again). Since he's got my money, and claims he's working on the games, then I'm in my full right to demand to know what the hell is going on. He won't tell me, so a little google-fu is in order.

3 weeks later
#18923 7 years ago

He probably spent weeks designing the stamp for those envelopes, special ordering it, stamping the envelopes.

I fell for his groovy willy wonka ways as well. Seems so stupid now and hard to believe.

1 week later
#18935 7 years ago

That game was seen back in his shop after that show, unpacked several months later. He never worked on it again.

#18947 7 years ago
Quoted from rennervision:

"Sorry guys - I spent all your money on a house" is not going to earn any sympathy from me.

In John's case it's more like "Sorry guys, I spent a large chunk of your money on 4 years of my above average salary and shop rent".

2 weeks later
#18982 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Many people said his wife was rather wealthy and he didn't need to work or draw a salary. That is during the early days of his project when he was pushing the love of pinball BS.

yeah, definitely was said, even towards the end.

I suppose now his wife is supporting him since our money is gone. Unless he started working at Subway. Something tells me he is still hiding from the real world and not doing real work.

#19006 7 years ago
Quoted from Sticky:

Started looking into this topic more as the entire story just blows my mind but it looked like Magic Girl although late was almost ready?

That was always the sham. The artwork on it is so "complete" it fools everyone to thinking the rest of the game is at a similar level. Because, why would anyone ever complete the artwork on a game that didn't shoot well or wasn't finished mechanically? That would be craaaaazy.

2 weeks later
#19027 7 years ago

He had enough sense to skip Expo 2015, even with the lure of free eats at Pinball Life.

#19029 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

he was at expo last year but only went to a designers dinner of some sort early in the week.

Right. But he seemed to know to stay away from the public then. So I'm sure it'll be the case again.

I can't believe we're talking years now, of time passing since it fell apart, and all of this is still on ongoing.

1 week later
#19041 7 years ago

In the end, after the ~$million blown, he couldn't even produce a functioning prototype game, of anything.

If Bill didn't step in at the end, and throw money at Magic Girl, we never would have even seen it flip.

For 4+ years of work, and a million dollars spent. The guy was incompetent.

#19042 7 years ago

This was from his last expo ('14) with the empty cabinets. Funny how he claimed to have shame about if he showed a product like this, yet he seems to have no shame about running everything into the ground.

Screen_Shot_2016-08-19_at_8.02.11_AM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-08-19_at_8.02.11_AM_(resized).png

#19044 7 years ago

What i found odd, i never saw any tax specifications on my aiw bill and though i paid via paypal, i never paid fees for that or anything?
It never rang a bell, but looking back it was odd..

You got an actual invoice, I never got squat. When the bankruptcy finally happens you at least have some paperwork to send to a trustee.

#19058 7 years ago

Kidding? What a mess...so you have no proof?

I personally know of someone that handed him a wad of $2000 in cash, and he just took it and put it on a table, and that was the end of it.

I know this is all insane. It just shows what trust everyone had in John at one point, and how he destroyed that.

#19078 7 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

However when any discussions of compensation came up, they were quickly shut down and I was told that it would be an "apprenticeship."

It's really sad that he thought he was the only one who should get paid, and in the end WAS the only person who got paid.

I wonder, when he retells his stories about how he started at Bally, the stories he likes to tell over and over again.... was he unpaid then? I doubt it. So I don't know where this "everyone should work for free" comes from.

As a customer, paying a premium price for a premium product, I definitely did not expect the people who worked on it to work on it for free.

#19086 7 years ago
Quoted from KerryImming:

I hope no one actually believes this; it's not true. Even at $17K per game, 26 games was not nearly enough to completely redesign every piece of a pinball game (e.g. right down to custom leg brackets).

Magic Girl was never going to be done with MG money alone. That he could not deliver it with MG AND Raza AND AIW money is the bigger joke.

#19093 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Are these fragments of his website or is he still playing behind the scenes?

http://www.zidware.com/inventor/index.html

That page is is new. The zidware.com is also still his. Zidware was an app company before it was a pinball company, so he always had stupid clip art up there.

This is also his M.O.... toil away on useless stuff, like hand coding html pages, while you claim you are working 7 x 14.

#19111 7 years ago

American Pinball's name came up before. I guess it is moving ahead. Here is what I dug up before:

Quoted from frolic:

Interesting development. I googled the phone number, this came up:

http://www.b2byellowpages.com/company-information/099365272-american-pinball.html

Also found this:

https://app.oneteam.net/Profile/american-pinball-inc-7HK98

Says business start date was nov 2015.

I had heard rumors around that time about another rich guy (next in line of many), and John even told a MG owner I knew that he could have his machine by January (har har).

I googled the name registered, and matched someone in Illinois, and possible connected to this company:

http://www.us-tech.com/RelId/988747/ISvars/default/Aimtron_Growing_at_Home_and_Overseas.htm

http://aimtron.com/who-we-are

Who knows what the status of any of this is today.

Quoted from frolic:

Even more interesting, former WMS alumni Ron Sommers now works at Aimtron:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/ron-sommers-61149913

Quoted from frolic:

Who knows what is going on. I'm making no claims. All we've deduced is:

-There is a company called "American Pinball" registered to an address in the same building as jpop's (old) shop.

-One of the principles of American Pinball is also involved in a company called Aimtron

-Aimtron is a manufacturing company

-Aimtron employs someone who used to work at WMS the same years as jpop.

#19112 7 years ago

I hope this isn't the case where Jpop managed to "sell" his work to this new company. So John potentially drew a salary from our money all these years, then took a cash out a second time. I wouldn't put it past him.

#19137 7 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

Then it got interesting, b/c someone came around the corner to say "Hi". See next post for the rest of that story, and some pics.

I am here refreshing this page!!!

#19149 7 years ago

Thanks for the report.

My hunch is John is a "consultant" for them, paid or some other deal. Likely the original zidware customers will be told to pound sand.

At least Bill's deal attempted to make right with all the original customers, which turned out to be mission impossible.

I'm shocked that someone of any business success, as this new guy apparently is, from their other business interests, can see any potential here at all. Right out of the gate they are repeating one of John's big mistakes which was cash burn on commercial rent.

#19150 7 years ago

I'm going to laugh my fool head off if these guys were convinced by John that his games were "90%" done and they went balls deep on this thinking they could get these games out and make some easy money.

#19177 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

My question would be, why not just pile your money in the parking lot and burn it? At least get a free show and maybe roast some marshmallows.

To have a new manufacturer attempt to throw their hat in the ring in the year 2016 is crazy.

And then this one gets to try to do it with the baggage of John attached to it. And likely with the taint of 100+ customers being burned and never being made right. Who's left that will buy these games? Sure, "someone" will buy a game, but not a lot.

John's "box of lights" sure does dazzle people, to this day, it seems.

#19202 7 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

made JPOP not return his calls.

Standard M.O. with just about everyone.

Can't believe anyone would think there is potential in working with him again. He is far more than just a failed businessman. We're talking deep character deficiencies.

#19229 7 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

It was unsaid - but Dhaval and I both knew each other had a lot more knowledge about things than was being said.

This reminds me of a James Bond movie (Roger Moore era) where both Bond and his adversary both know exactly who each other are but are playing along with each other during some encounter at a casino or something .

#19230 7 years ago

So thinking about this new company some more....

Based on those weird job postings, it's like they ARE a completely new pinball start up. And not an "investor" in zidware or John.

Obviously John is involved in some way, because they've even said so, but it could be as a consultant, which is a position he likes (being paid to share his "35 years of pinball blah blah blah").

They are posting these job listings publicly, and have an office, yet are still acting all weird and covert. The people behind it are unknown to the pinball world, which is odd, considering every other pinball startup was a passion project by known people inside of pinball. It sort of has to be, there is no easy money to be made here and is such a high risk business normal investment doesn't apply.

Adding to it is the mystery of what exactly has John been doing this past year+ when everything has failed. He is not bankrupt, his business still exists, outside of the occasional story of "new investors" coming to look at his stuff.

#19233 7 years ago
Quoted from Trekie:

Design here, built in China?

built in India, looks like.

#19243 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Outback just seems totally clueless

Clueless maybe, but Bloomin' Brands (Outback owner) did over $1billion in sales last QUARTER, so somebody is eating there .

#19259 7 years ago
Quoted from 4_amusement_only:

Sorry i'm new to this saga. How much money has Jpop taken and not legitimately returned?

Considering he hasn't returned or delivered anything, the answer would be "all of it".

#19261 7 years ago

This is probably the most accurate picture we have:

Quoted from wcbrandes:

Guys, I did go over the books, although was done in a 3 day period (or more like 5 working days as went at it around the clock). He was paying himself, if I recall roughly 7500 a month and he is was out of money or so he said. Even at 90k a year to himself that's almost half right there as he took in about 925k total.

#19262 7 years ago

We, the customers, became Artist Patrons and John played pinball arts and crafts for 4+ years on our dime.

As Ben so eloquently said:

Quoted from benheck:

he'll have pocketed more money NOT making games than I will make on the entire AMH run.

2 weeks later
#19279 7 years ago

Mike Pacak just posted a rumor about a jpop game at expo 2016.

I had also heard from someone who had been in touch with John that John said he "never gave up" and had a lot of progress to show.

Obviously we know the guy is a delusional moron, so this may very well translate to "empty cabinets part deux".

I believe none of the subcontractors (boards, lights, programmers, etc) have said anything that things are moving forward.

#19285 7 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

What do you think would happen if he DID actually (somehow) produce an actual game, and began delivering them? How would the community respond?

His game(s) might have been impressive if they were finished when they were supposed to be. But now I just don't see them holding up well against the latest from all the other companies. They're just going to be these oddball games in weird cabinets.

And then there's that little issue about actual production.

#19289 7 years ago

There is that mystery about American Pinball Inc, and how they tie into all of this. So I'm looking forward to that curtain being pulled back.

But at this point, it's just all about morbidly watching a train wreck. I don't expect or even hope at this point any of us who have lost money to be made right.

#19290 7 years ago

On a positive note, I'm going to the Vancouver Flip Out expo this weekend and will get meet Bill Brandes in the flesh. Looking forward to having some good laughs about all of this.

#19328 7 years ago

Look at the taint already associated with these guys because of John.

#19436 7 years ago

Don't know what to say about seeing a row of empty cabinets.

Also the little issue about over 100 other raza owners and then the aiw owners.

#19443 7 years ago

Well, it's still beyond belief that the magic girl game design somehow got completed, and somehow things like code are done, and that they've magically completed everything and are ready for production.

This is straight out of the old Jpop playbook of showing something just to buy more time. In this case it's to quiet the angry mob while they attempt to launch a Houdini game.

Jpop himself said last year that magic girl still needed years (plural). Now all of a sudden they are producing machines for delivery. Of course there won't be any footage of a playing game.

Something stinks.

#19491 7 years ago

Receive a machine at expo? 2016 expo? Like in a few weeks?

Good lord.

#19493 7 years ago

Oh, I believe your reporting. I just can't believe they said it. At least all this nonsense will be exposed shortly.

#19505 7 years ago

Well, I'd like it if someone contacted me since I'm one of those out money.

But if they're only dealing with the small list of mg owners and think that will clear the rep, that is a foolish plan since there are many times that in raza and aiw.

#19508 7 years ago

I did get to meet up with Bill this weekend. It was a pleasure to meet my old war buddy!

The friends I've made in this hobby far outweigh any of the negativity so I'd do it all again.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#19557 7 years ago

Listen, if by some miracle they made everyone whole, then by all means once that is done they can go be a success with whatever titles they want to release and I doubt they will get too much blow back. They actually would be heroes.

I am confused by this effort to talk to MG owners and not anyone else. That will not rehabilitate John's reputation or set them up for success, leaving the lion's share of burned owners stiffed.

In the end, RAZA and AIW money paid for development of MG. They are all the same thing.

#19575 7 years ago

Ice, why don't you edit this thread title to include Houdini. Stuff all of the Jpop nonsense in 1 thread.

#19591 7 years ago

I think most zidware customers are in the "something is better than nothing camp"... and that could even include putting their money owed towards a Houdini or something (which for most of us would be a wash, not asking us for more $$$).

But it has to be SOMETHING... this rumored talk about RAZA and AIW owners being taken care of "later" is not going to work if they want to launch successfully.

#19595 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

NO STAGE AT EXPO unless they fix the wrongs done to this community.

I agree. It would be like if Kevin Kulek returned with an Experts of Dangerous seminar at expo and someone defending that because no one put money into THAT game.

#19622 7 years ago

Who bets we get photos of art and no footage of an actual game.

#19672 7 years ago

Color me surprised that the big show unveiling today was a non-event. Of course nothing has changed with anything regarding any of this.

#19702 7 years ago

The original board work was done by vendors in US, how likely their work was knocked off for overseas production?

#19717 7 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

These, it was suggested to us, were to go to the litigants in the legal action

So..... 25 get games because they sued. Good for them, the squeaky wheel got the grease in this case.

But how John's reputation can be rehabbed when 100+ other people got screwed and how would he be welcomed with open arms by the pinball community is a head scratcher.

#19718 7 years ago

It would be helpful if they showed something other than empty cabinets and web sites with ripped off images and copy. It's hard to make heads or tails of any of this or take any of it serious. If they have a working game of any kind they need to show it.

#19722 7 years ago

I just can't comprehend, with all the difficulty we've seen other pinball companies go through, that with a snap of the fingers there's a bunch of Magic Girls ready for delivery to customers, and they are more than just boxes of lights and that there's a game there that is fun and plays good.

#19730 7 years ago

Well, I'll post in this dumpster fire thread that I am not shocked the info out of vegas is there is a non flipping game there, and the flyer is of the "patented" cabinet.

Is it possible this company has been pulled into John's reality distortion and believed him when he announces he is "95% done"?

#19732 7 years ago

The other jpop thread thats going has a bit of info from someone in vegas.

Non flipping game, and the flyer is a photo of the cabinet.

#19735 7 years ago

What a roller coaster the last few days have been, but in the end reality is reality.

#19738 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Had a thought on this earlier today.
Several have brought up the excellent point that AP hired an employee with 1-2 million in "community debt" hanging over his head and how could he ever be worth that much? Why would a company do this?
One possibility is that he's the only (classic big name) designer they could get. Everyone else has been snapped up by the big companies.
I dont buy this "consultant" nonsense. From the website text to the theme and now a "gorgeous non flipping game" it's 100% John all the way.
You know who the easiest people to scam are? Those who have already been scammed looking for a solution.

Someone had brought up previously that the Houdini trademark hadn't been granted for this game yet. This is very reminiscent of John showing his Kiss at MGC. It does feel 100% John and certainly because he seems to be the only person in the world that thinks doing this is enough.

#19804 7 years ago

From everyone I've personally reached out to who worked on the zid games, no one is working on the new game and all were left stiffed.

#19811 7 years ago

Just as a reminder and context, here is the Magic Girl article from last year of the game that DID flip, had some rules and multiball, but was still deemed 50% done and shitcanned by Pintasia.

http://www.pinballnews.com/games/magicgirl/index.html

#19822 7 years ago

Zombie Yeti did do some David Copperfield art for jpop as well, for a pin that never saw light of day.

#19832 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

"Consultant" my ass - Stevie Wonder could tell John designed this thing.
I like the LCD that isn't even mounted straight, with visible metal frame at top and 2 pointless banners to hide the left and right edges.
This looks to have the same issues as MG and RAZA. A great-looking PF, but absolutely no clue how to make anything work above it (ramps, return lanes) Just a pile of laser-cut nonsense lit up like a Christmas tree.
The photos suck (and better ones weren't allowed) because it would reveal how NOTHING goes together in a cohesive way.

So tell us how you really feel, Ben.

#19892 7 years ago

I've written jpop a script to open the seminar up. Somehow I don't think this is what he'll say, and somehow I doubt we are going to feel any satisfaction at the end of what he does say, and likely more rage. But here is what I suggest:

Hello everyone, thank you for coming. I just need to address something before we move along with this. I fucked up. Badly. I am going to own up to this now, belatedly, and I want to sincerely apologize to all the people I've harmed along the way from my actions. Every business can fail, but I treated my customers and friends terribly and I am ashamed of how I dealt with everything. I lied to you my customers, I lied to my friends and confidants, but more than anything I lied to myself. I lied to myself about the state of things, and kept telling those lies to myself until I didn't know what way was up. For this, I am very sorry.

I don't expect anyone to take my word for it, and I know I don't deserve any more of your trust or patience. But as they say, today is the first day of the rest of our lives, and starting today we're making delivery of the first completed Magic Girls. Chris from Cointaker has already taken delivery of the first one. He's over there. I treated Chris terrible, I'm sorry Chris. So I'm glad to start things moving forward today to repair things with him and everyone else.

I know everyone is tired of my smoke and mirrors, so there is a playable Magic Girl here at the show. Come see it. Everyone paid up for a Magic Girl is getting one. Then we start to make it up to the rest of my customers. Once they all are taken care of, we will then start taking new orders for my new Houdini game. In the meantime, it is here to play as well. I've got some great partners that are making this possible. So please let me introduce them...

#19894 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

You forgot one thing......"Oh, and SEND MONEY NOW!"

That's why my script is what you will NOT be hearing.

#19941 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Legally, this could never happen.

My fan fiction is not about what is legally possible... and I know damn well that there will never be a hint of apology or admission from John that he treated all his friends and supporters like dog shit.

I expect the opposite. John will show up at expo thinking he's some sort of pin hero still, how he "never gave up" and that we can all come suckle on his teet.

1 week later
#20035 7 years ago

Bbb has it's stories too.

The stories of BBB getting done I think contributed greatly to people's belief in both Predator and the Zidware games being possible, if late. I wouldn't use it as any sort of claim now.

Now it's all on AP to put up or shut up.

#20087 7 years ago

did Chris 'play' the games or were they boxes of lights? That would be a key detail.

#20101 7 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Chris said he was able to look at it but not flip it.

Thanks for clarifying that.

So we were told as recently as a few weeks ago, the first Magic Girl customers would get their machines at expo, and in those few weeks since we are back to non-flipping games that no one can even try.

#20103 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I though they said before the end of the year? (Not that it makes much difference..)

Yes, they've said all of them before end of 2016, but the first ones (Chris from Cointaker was specifically said) would be delivered at this Expo.

The thing is, even if a customer did not take home a game at expo, I think its realistic that they could have at least shown a final working game. They DO have a working magic girl, don't they? In any playable state? Otherwise we're right back to where we started with empty promises from John, and now empty promises from AP.

#20105 7 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

I think you're leaving out the possibility that they can't show the machine due to legal issues, but keep bangin that drum.....

Magic Girl has been SHOWN to people... but no one can play it. Non-flipping. I doubt any legal issue would allow them to show a machine, but no touchy touchy.

#20106 7 years ago

I'll just add, that I'm just a customer, here at my house, I am not privy to anything going on behind the scenes. But I do know this... John is a liar. He's lied about the state of his games and progress since the beginning and hid and obfuscated everything along the way. So to somehow think he's NOT the reason Magic Girl is non-flipping, that if it were up to him it would be at the show and the public could play it... that is not probable.

#20174 7 years ago

I don't know what kind of costs were involved for them to go to that Vegas show, but they paid to bring Houdini out there, thinking the game was far further along than it ended up being. Since that time Joe was brought in, and a lot of it was scuttled.

Quoted from benheck:

I'm telling ya, I believe they bought a pig in a poke and waited a year to open the bag.

Sure seems that way.

#20197 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Okay, can anyone talk to Zidware recently and get some answers?

Nope. John is MIA and won't talk to his customers, and then we're told "talk to Zidware" as if everything was normal.

If these guys had a playable Houdini and/or playable Magic Girl, there might be more cautious optimism. Right now all it is is talk and more of John's BS.

1 week later
#20277 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

But as dazzled as I was (and I was yawl, good god I was)

First, thanks for making the effort of getting us the first info on the game.

Second, it's wild to see how effective a box of lights can be. This carried John for years. We've concluded in this thread it also fooled the new people at AP.

It will be interesting to see what Joe can do with it, but in the end, he was involved with another pinball startup that took many years to get a new game design of his out the door.

The idea that they can just bang these things out is comical.

At every stage we've been ready to believe that things are different, but the proof is in the pudding and with no playable games of any kind, nothing else that's been said can be believed.

#20299 7 years ago

Cornelius, since you went to Vegas, what was your assessment of "why" they were there? Did they actually pay to go there, and incur the related expenses, just to show an incomplete game? Were they there for any more reason than to lure you or did they hope to sell something or what?

It just seemed like such a hair brained activity, to pay all that money and effort to go show a non-functioning game, create flyers for it, and then junk most of it.

Seems likely it was caught in the "jpop reality distortion field" and they honestly thought, based on what John had been telling them, they had something "near complete" (we've all heard that before).

Their big post about the Magic Girls was 2 days before Vegas. Things all seemed to unravel after that.

#20313 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

They got (I assume) free booth space by putting it with a vendor whose single-board computer they intend to use.

But wouldn't the "free" booth space be a small part of it? Someone had to pay for travel and accommodations for Vegas, whatever suite they were in, etc.

That was money out of pocket for no apparent reason.

3 weeks later
#20368 7 years ago

So who wants to bet that this is still the exact state of the magic girls today.

14444677_1316276058397236_6340657063610632689_o (resized).jpg14444677_1316276058397236_6340657063610632689_o (resized).jpg

#20377 7 years ago

What's curious is most of the original vendors have posted by now that none of them have been contacted to continue/finish work.

So how is this stuff going to get finished?

I'm still suspect that the American Pinball guys went off John's word about what needed to be done, and the reality is something completely different. But that doesn't stop John from spending money getting cabinets or even wood playfields made, when there is a ton of stuff incomplete.

#20407 7 years ago

Forbes has Johnny Depp listed as the 2015 worst returns for a star actor, as far as ROI.

And considering Johnny Depp once played Willy Wonka, I think the comparison is much better!

2 weeks later
#20433 7 years ago

In production = row of empty cabinets sitting at the back of an Aimtron facility.

#20434 7 years ago

omg, his new website is in that tell-tale hand coded html (with tables) that John spins his wheels making. He's probably worked on this new website for all this time since expo.

And it's the same circle jerk stuff as before... promises of photos, etc.

No actual games of course.

I can't believe the year will soon be 2017 and this is still going on.

#20448 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Might be a fun challenge for me, see how many pins I can build before John "the master" finishes one.

1fw70o (resized).jpg1fw70o (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#20468 7 years ago

Oh, John's been busy, the Warranty page has been updated:

http://www.zidware.com/pinballwarranty.html

THE WARRANTY

Zidware Inc, ("ZW") is pleased to warrant, only to the original purchaser ("Warrantee"), that this pinball machine ("Product")Product will be free from defects in material and workmanship under normal use and service for ninety (90) days after delivery to the Warrantee (the “Warranty Period”).

The provisions of this warranty shall not apply if, in ZW's sole judgment, the product has been subjected to incidental damage including, but not limited to, the following:

▪ Removal of serial/part number sticker(s);
▪ Damage while being installed or set up improperly;
▪ Damage due to alteration of software or hardware by someone other than ZW or its representatives;
▪ Damage arising from tampering, user error, natural disaster, misuse, neglect, abuse, or accident.
▪ Abuse or Damage from installation or improper “non-home” game use

ZW reserves the right to impose a reasonable charge for the repair of any Product or component thereof that is returned where the failure or malfunctioning of such Product or component does not result from a manufacturing defect.

ZW's liability under this warranty, or in connection with any other claim relating to the Product, is limited to the repair or replacement, at ZW's option, of the Product or component of the Product that is found to be defective. Such replacement component may be a new component or a remanufactured component, at ZW's option. Warrantee assumes all risk of loss in transit. Any returned Product or component thereof under the terms of this warranty shall be the sole property of ZW. The repaired or replaced Product or component will be covered under the terms of this warranty for the remainder of the Warranty Period.

ZW reserves the right to impose a reasonable charge for any returns to cover shipping costs, where the returned Product or component thereof that was returned is found to be in good working condition.

ZW may, at its sole discretion, cover the repair or replacement of any component of the Product that is discovered, after the end of the Warranty Period, to have a manufacturing defect.

To receive warranty service, contact ZW Technical Support Online: (www.zidware.com/pinballsupport.html).

Before returning or attempting to return any Product or component for service, you must have first communicated with one of our service representatives. The service representative will issue a Return Material Authorization (RMA) acknowledgment and an RMA number. Your sales receipt or invoice from an authorized ZW retailer, reseller, or distributor is your proof of purchase and is required to establish purchase date and original purchaser. Except where prohibited by law, this warranty is non-transferable. The Warrantee shall pay the cost of returning the defective Product or component thereof to ZW's service center. No ZW Product or component thereof will be accepted for warranty service without a copy of a valid proof of purchase and an RMA number.

No other warranties are expressed or implied including, but not limited to, any implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. In no event shall ZW be liable for any consequential or incidental damages resulting from the use or installation of any ZW product, or the breach of any express or implied warranties. ZW's liability to any Warrantee with respect to any claim or loss arising out of this transaction or alleged to have resulted from an act or omission of ZW shall be limited to warrantee's cost of the ZW product.

Some states may prohibit the exclusion of consequential or incidental damages, or a certain other clause contained in this warranty (an “Excluded Clause”). If your state prohibits any such Excluded Claus, the remainder of the warranty shall remain in full force and effect as if it did not contain the Excluded Clause. This warranty provides you with specific legal rights. You may have other rights, which vary from state to state.

ZW reserves the right to inspect and verify the defectiveness of any Product or component thereof that is returned. This warranty does not apply to any software used in the Product. However, ZW may, at its sole discretion, release one or more software updates to address any software issues and/or to provide enhanced functionality of the Product

EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY STATED ABOVE, ZW MAKES NO WARRANTY, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, WHETHER OF MERCHANTABILITY, NON-INFRINGEMENT OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY, FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR USE, OR OTHERWISE ON THE PRODUCTS, OR ANY PARTS OR TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE OR OTHER LABOR FURNISHED.

ZW reserves the right to change the terms of this warranty without notice. v2

#20470 7 years ago

the dude literally toils away and this stuff, and there is no Magic Girl flipping game.

#20485 7 years ago
Quoted from c508:

I am going to see how much it would cost to get JPOP's "answer to the complaint."

Find out how much and we'll see how curious we all are. I'll chip in some money.

#20489 7 years ago

He is getting a tiny part of his gigantic problem off his back by getting the magic girls out the door.

We've seen zero evidence of this. Other than "empty cabinets", a lot of hot air and blown deadlines. He can't even demonstrate a single functioning game.

#20509 7 years ago

The sad thing is I think everyone here knows this saga will still be ongoing at the end of 2017, with no resolution one way or the other.

#20512 7 years ago

Unlike the Predator debacle, John would have a legitimate claim to bankruptcy. The money was spent and there is no more.

Had he had an ounce of humility he could have been forthright with everyone years ago, given everyone a more realistic progress report as it had been going on instead of lying about it, apologized, claimed he tried his best but his best wasn't good enough, and just end this thing.

This is how this is still going to end, except protracted over many years with an ongoing lawsuit and leaving everyone bitter and permanently ruining his reputation.

#20515 7 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

The money may have been spent, but the creditor claims still remain. The question is, would the debts get discharged in BK, giving Zidware, Inc. (and the Popadiuks) a "fresh start"? That outcome is by no means certain, given Zidware's business practices to date, and some of the money may still be recoverable through classic avoidance actions pursued by a Trustee (e.g., preferential transfers, fraudulent conveyances).

Well, my comments were predicated on John acting "with humility and being forthright" going back to the beginning, and in that case he certainly could have been entitled to fail and get a fresh start after. But that isn't how things played out of course.

#20528 7 years ago

thanks for posting (both c508 and DennisK). Nice to get some insight.

1 week later
#20546 7 years ago

If anything saves John, it's that he is a failed business. I'm assuming he's filed proper paperwork and done his taxes.

Kevin didn't do those things, and when he might have otherwise been able to walk away, he's now up shit's creek.

#20562 7 years ago

Doug, I can't believe after all this you're going to think there's a chance jpop delivers anything despite what he says or how he spends his days. The same guy that had AP shitcan all his work and start over on Houdini.

#20565 7 years ago

I've heard the rumors, but to me it seemed a smoke screen against the lawsuit. The moment he doesn't show up with a screwdriver every day and pretends they can be delivered is the day it is officially over.

#20567 7 years ago

If the bom on MG is $7k, he needs $140k just to get them done. With the barter deal not happening, dunno where the parts are going to come from or be paid for.

#20570 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I believe the rich dude from AP is unofficially funding 20 MG builds

Well that is awfully nice of him.

2 weeks later
#20629 7 years ago

After everything we've been through, I'm highly suspect of this "mission accomplished" announcement of finished games, when no one has seen a playable one. These things are supposed to be going into boxes?

#20632 7 years ago

I suppose it's possible the games delivered with resemble the barely playable version Pintasia had. Just enough to fulfill his obligations and hopefully squash the court case.

But delivering a 1/2 working box of lights won't do much to rehab his reputation, and there is the little matter that RAZA buyers outnumber magic girl buyers by 5 times.

#20634 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

A game play video would have been the bomb, but some pics would have been sweet, too. Guess I am highly skeptical.

If they don't show it, it's because it probably doesn't show well.

The contract manufacturing part of this equation doesn't seem like it matters much. John could have put together prototypes on his own. Hell, he was offering to fly around the country to build machines for people in their homes. His real challenge was the fact that so much of Magic Girl was missing and he needed engineers to finish designing mechanisms and stuff.

Again, all of our doubts can be squashed with video of a 3 ball game. But until that happens we are right to be skeptical of all of this.

#20724 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

what ever happened with the story that you owned the MG license? Did I miss something? Did you sell it back? Are you getting your cut from these being made?

Whatever Bill's deal is, I'd think it was never his intention to stop magic girl customers from getting their games if that was an outcome that could be figured out.

#20726 7 years ago

It was speculated earlier in this thread that Bill was the reason nothing was happening on the Magic Girl front, when things went quiet and deadlines were missed, but that never made sense.

#20728 7 years ago

So much of this entire story MAKES NO SENSE, and still doesn't.

And apparently will not be ending any time soon.

#20732 7 years ago

Yeah, it's hard to imagine the typical celebratory game has arrived threads for this, especially when it's only a small percentage of zidware customers that got anything.

#20736 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Thanks to John we have Zombie Yeti working for Stern.

This is clearly John's greatest legacy from this entire debacle.

#20742 7 years ago

Here's the video of the 2015 version of Magic Girl:

I am interested to see if the shipping versions are different at all.

#20746 7 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

When I hear John get the credit for me I'm starting to feel marginalized....

Totally fair. I'll refrain from giving John any of the credit in the future. I think we were all just trying to be kind and look on the positive side of things, giving John credit for something other than being a complete mess.

Thanks for chiming in.

#20748 7 years ago

Jeremy, on the bright side, no one believes John IS the artist any longer!

#20888 7 years ago
Quoted from ShinyNick:

Jpop just sent a pics link - I'm MG#006, I hope its in there somewhere!
http://www.zidware.com/inventor/magicgirl/images.html

I wish we could see a 3 ball game played. Him showing pics is what bought years of time.

#20909 7 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

The PF is different with the bare wood showing.

Does that mean some other artist came in and tweaked the artwork, since we know ZY was not part of this? I know you can't answer that, but that seems to be the only answer.

Same goes for other parts of the game.

#20976 7 years ago
Quoted from benfrith:

Incase anyone missed it on the photos page, there was a link to a video page as well
http://www.zidware.com/inventor/magicgirl/videos.html
A few of the links don't work right, but you can basically just follow the pattern to figure out the right link
example:
http://www.zidware.com/inventor/magicgirl/media/media6.m4v

Those videos, or lack of, is exactly how John always obfuscated things in the past. There is
No way this thing plays half way decent.

#21003 7 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

He actually says he is moving onto Raza

He's barely been able to limp across the finish line with 19 magic girls, which was FUNDED by RAZA (and AIW) money. How in the world is ANOTHER 125 machines going to get built with no cash influx, not to mention that the other games were never as completed as MG.

ZY has already chimed in that he's been screwed in all this, so he won't be finishing work on the other games. So there's that as well.

This whole MG delivery thing is just as bird brained as everything up to this point and really doesn't change much of anything, other than 19 people get something, which is 19 more people than a few months ago.

#21023 7 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

and he is not allowed into the Houdini design office

lol.

#21083 7 years ago

You probably could have omitted the ramps completely, and at least get a good view of the screen.

#21087 7 years ago

Jim, is the code seen in the videos your work as you left it, or has anything changed?

#21101 7 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

LOL, it wasn't expected to be spectacular or anything but it's all we have at this point and I figured some video was better than none

It's only the "official" video.

#21250 7 years ago

John said he learned humility, but he's fine with stiffing the talent that was integral with making the game and stonewalling them for only asking to be paid for their work. What an asshole.

#21272 7 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

it is basically the proto game from NW show replicated 18 more times. Doesn't really work.

This was never going to end up any other way. As I've said before in this thread, this whole jpop thing has taught me to not go against my instincts again, and if something doesn't add up, it doesn't add up.

#21324 7 years ago

I think with everything that has come to light (Game has not changed since Pintasia, no effort made to get past vendors back on board or squared up, the game ultimately is an unplayable shiny turd) this has everything to do with the lawsuit, not about John thinking delivering this was delivering on his grand vision.

#21377 7 years ago

Cointaker would have been in a better position if they tried to sell the game in the box, unopened. But since they opened it, showed photos of it open, but then seem to be holding back showing it in an unflattering light, it becomes suspect.

#21392 7 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Kaneda said cointaker asked him not to podcast about the state it was in until Cointaker could speak with John about the issues.

John is easy to get ahold of. I'm sure post-purchase warranty work for his games will be handled expeditiously and professionally.

#21410 7 years ago

It's more likely a mechanical mess than anything. missing switches, mechs that are missing or don't work properly, ball getting trapped, etc.

#21542 7 years ago

John is still pretending this MG delivery is some sort of success and he's on to work on RAZA now and everything is all good?

#21544 7 years ago

I think the owl is embarrassed and won't show his face.

#21625 7 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

WTF is this crap?!

Did this self-proclaimed "living legend of pinball design" really spend 6 fucking years re-inventing everything under the glass, only to put a goddamn unprotected exposed coil spring end right against the playfield surface?!?!
How freaking amateur is that? Or is this supposed to be an homage to the "B/W planned obsolescence" days? Stern & JJP ought to thank him: ghosting, craters, and magnet burn are the least of your poor build-quality concerns now.
Holy shit. Not quite understanding subtle geometry, unexpected ball hangups, and maybe even unproven materials, are all understandable to a point. But that spring says all I need to know about the lack of planning that went into this.
Built by a Legend of his own lunch time, indeed.

lol

#21718 7 years ago
Quoted from bounoun:

So let me get this straight, john needs 5+ years, a pyramid scheme for the money, to deliver 16 alpha status games that are far from finished and dont even flip correct ? Holy crap, that just sad.

You left out "and spent around 1 million dollars".

#21833 7 years ago

I'm just going to say, Jim you are a better man than me.

#21983 7 years ago

My #1 rule for Pinside is "Be ok with someone else having the last word".

Cuts the shit by 99%.

#22084 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

He did a rant when Metallica came out with the Hammer disappearing ball. After reading that I remember thinking to myself "Jesus, who cares? Shouldn't you be building our games instead of stroking your ego?"

#22107 7 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

I'm guessing there were many more out of control comments by him over the years to the private group.

yeah it got to the point we had to tip toe around him because he didn't handle himself well when challenged. And even if you were to review where my questioning of him was more pointed, I was still kissing his ass to not make him blow up. All I was looking for at the time was some clear answers to clear questions when he was still pretending everything was A OK.

Hindsight is 20/20. I've learned my lesson.

#22155 7 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

What amazed me about that video was that JPOP was able to put together a nicer service menu than Stern did on it's LCD

There is lots to like, and that is certainly what kept all us zidware customers on the hook. John would drop bread crumbs as needed to keep us quiet.

But unfortunately the whole is NOT greater than the sum of its parts.

#22234 7 years ago

Wow, what is revealed as missing in the game is a sad conclusion to this opus.

We already know that John intentionally would not include an auto ball launch, so you couldn't even hack the code to do some sort of virtual ball lock for a multiball.

So this thing really is a flipping box of lights with barely any game.

#22274 7 years ago

Houdini was his last chance and they threw that into the garbage and started over than continue on it. Don't know how many more last chances he should be given.

#22280 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

None!?
After the way he's treated the community and the people that put their faith and time into attempting to help him I'd say he's all out of chances.

Oh, for certain, I agree, but its not up to me, and I agree with Ice that pinball is weird, and John seems to cast spells on people.

#22344 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

at $20k starting bid? no, it won't sell.

The sad thing is, at $1,000,000 spent on delivering these 25 Magic Girls, since no RAZA or AIW customers will ever see a game, then it works out to $40k COST per machine.

#22358 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Benchmark price on a sold Magic Girl is currently $23,000.00

"Past performance is not an indicator of future results"

#22415 7 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

And gameplay will only improve from here on in.

...If Applejuice is willing to help those making quick profits off the work he was screwed over.

#22434 7 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Dang if People are paying north of $30k for MG's, John could of sold the 25 games off for $800,000+ and split the money up between all buyers and unpaid vendors and nearly made everyone whole with the Proceeds. Now it seems MG folks will double their money and the unpaid vendors, RAZA & AIW owners will eat a bag of dicks.
Thanks again John!

The other solution in the table was just make more Magic Girls. Pintasia already floated that idea. It would still be hyper rare (less than BBB even if there was 200 of them), but fund zidware, have a shot at finishing the other games, and let any zid customers switch over if they wanted.

Now John has no money, the MAgic Girls barely function with no hope of completion, the original vendors got stiffed, the 100+ other zid customers got stiffed.

As Ben said, there was a pinball lottery and 25 people won it, but how does that really help anything.

#22438 7 years ago
Quoted from Dooskie:

After all the crap and waiting, the MG owners deserve to have something good happen.

I hold no ill will towards the MG owners, and what they choose to do, which includes flipping their games. They did not create this situation and did not stiff the vendors or other zid customers. That is all on John.

#22440 7 years ago

As the rumors go, he was offered a job at Stern, before zidware, but it was at "Stern pay" and not an acceptable amount to him.

#22463 7 years ago
Quoted from stpcore:

Considering the potential selling price for Magic Girl would you rather have a Medieval Madness, Twilight Zone, Monster Bash, and Attack From Mars (pinside average of 30K) or a Magic Girl? I know what I would choose.

Some people want to eat a Komodo dragon for dinner.

#22714 7 years ago
Quoted from ShinyNick:

Here is my first day testing report on my MG #006 that I picked up from John on Feb 28, 2017. Bear in mind that there are many issues here right out of the box. This machine is not playable yet due to ball hangup issues. I consider all 19+2 MG machines to be prototypes and from what I have seen here and from looking at other peoples’ pics and videos for their MGs I suspect that each machine is different in some ways. I hope this info will assist other owners and I’m very curious if they share these issues.
When I picked up from John I asked him the following:
Does Multiball work? “No”
Is it a code issue only? “Yes” (I don’t think this is true…)
Does the magnaflip playfield work? “Yes”
Does the magnetic “hare” bumper work or do we need to add a magnet under the playfield? “Yes you have to add the magnet and this an optional mod. The code is working for the magnet. I will send you the specs for the magnet. There are several optional mods that will be available and I will publish the info online.”
Setup and Issue Photos:
https://goo.gl/photos/HjHDVdKRqYXHxWFh8
Playfield Issues and notes on my machine:
-Ball hangup issue on ramp beside diverter – ball hits closed diverter and gets stuck behind yellow post. I’m guessing there used to be a lock mech here. May have to install another post to alleviate this… note that ball hangs up here on every ramp shot!
-Ball cannot clear under ramp diverter – there is not enough room when diverter is opened. May have to install spacers to raise diverter mech slightly. This diverter fires in COIL TEST but I have not seen it fire in a game.
-Ball hangup on right ramp return to right inlane – ball does not fit through hole. Need to adjust ramp and metal piece
-Tesla skill shot – only one opto switch installed and this switch was installed with two sided tape so that the opto LEDs were sticking into the ball path where the ball smashes into them! Need to install spacers for the Opto PCB.
-Spinning disc and centre flipper up post are not flush with playfield and are on an angle – will adjust
-Main plunger shot not hitting hard enough due to plunger gauge metal keeping ball too far from plunger when at rest. My game included a second shooter gauge with graphics on it – I will install to see if problem alleviates. EDIT – installed new gauge, looks nicer but is exact same size. Need a longer shooter rod… will try shorter barrel spring on outside or other measures.
-Center Floating Spinner (jinx Spinner) works but spinner occasionally STRIKES opto LEDs! – must adjust opto PCB mounting so that there is more ball clearance.
-There may be some switch matrix issues – ball trough opto column 7 switches all light up in switch test whenever column 6 switches are triggered (in switch test). EDIT this may be some weirdness with the Switch test itself – curious if other MG machines exhibit this behavior. Did not notice any trough switch errors while playing.
-Saucer kickout is too strong – ball smashes into Spinning lamp plastics directly above. Maybe missing a deflector?
-Spinning lamp assembly has already fallen apart from testing (and crazy saucer kickout)… will need to modify the 3D printed parts to make it spin smoother
-Ramp entry switch mount is only on one side and is not secure – need to figure out a way to secure from both sides of ramp.
One of the head hinge bolts is loose! – Tightened.
-LCD screen does not have any protective plastic over it and circular ramp is too close and actually touches screen – will to try to move it back… needs a plastic shield over the screen like CV has.
-While testing the machine seemed to CRASH and lock up on me once – cycled power and now machine booted but nothing on LCD… after a few more power cycles it started up ok. Will monitor this behaviour
Coil Issues/ Results from COIL TEST in TEST menu:
Right Magna Flip fires as Left Magna Flip
Left Magna Flip (14) fires as Right Magna Flip
Mystic Ring magnet (29) fires as Box Air Magnet (30) (Possibly re-tasked coil assignment)
Box Air magnet (30) doesn’t fire anything
Bagatelle Popper (31) fires saucer – NOTE this saucer kickout hole fires too hard and shoots ball straight up smashing into spinning genie lamp plastics
Diverter Up Post (11) fires Knocker in head – (Possibly re-tasked coil assignment)
Wand Grab left (12) does nothing
Wand Grab Right Fires Diverter on circular ramp
Left Magic Lock (16) doesn’t do anything
Right Magic Lock doesn’t do anything
(I’m Guessing the Magic Lock coils were the ramp locks for multiball in the protos)
Hare Jet (19) does nothing – needs magnet installed under playfield – connector is there labelled “Hare Jet” for future addition
Magic Mirror (23) does nothing?
Hare Spinning Disc (24 and 25) does nothing… is this a feature that was removed?
Jinx Wheel motor (26) works – mine turns clockwise
Lion Saw Motor (27) does nothing – needs motor/upgraded assembly…
Magna Hare (9) works – magna save above right inlane
Playfield Diverter (10) works – diverts between full left orbit shot or diverts to kings chamber from top
Switch Issues
Ramp Entry switch not working (FIXED - was disconnected under playfield)
Missing Saw 1 Switch - mod/upgrade needed
Tesla Skill 2 (63) One sided opto switch is working but no other Tesla opto switches are installed that I can see – there is a hole for one other opto pair…
“Lead Coin” standup target fires as “Jack Mystery” switch # 48
Playing Notes:
-This machine does not go into ball search so far (Like Kaneda’s does in his videos)– missing this feature?
-The spring under the Magnetic Bumper cap is an actuator for a switch which is working.
-Right orbit shots do not light POWER letters to enable magna flip mini playfield… I did notice that you can enable the magnaflip by centre shots (to be confirmed) … the saucer magnet DID grab the ball but the VUK would not shoot the ball up to the mini playfield to start the mode… NOTE: it looks like all hardware is there to enable magna flip mini playfield. There are no targets to shoot at (as described by Jim) but there is a rear exit shot that goes to another small metal ramp that feeds into a another mini playfield above the pop bumpers. Then it looks like the ball falls through a hole and into the pops area.
-The levitating ball feature works but I can’t get the ball to levitate “above” the magnet as described… it hovers inside the square magnet assembly thus far. Also note that the blue standup target that activates this feature is on a 45 degree angle does not actuate reliably – will need some adjustments.
Other issues and observations:
-Code version is 0.7.24 – this is different than what Jim reports on magicgirlcode.org which is 0.7.11
-My machine was missing the two head bolts but included a WPC style rear latch assembly – but I’m not sure how the latch can be used safely with this cabinet with a neck beneath the head – will find some suitable head bolts…
-Are there different playfield versions? My center drain post is labelled “The Magic Post” but I’ve seen others online labelled ”Theatre of Magic Post”…
The large “?” insert in front of the Scoop looks like it was cut out later as an afterthought. You can see a previous insert labelled “Arthur’s Magic” or something like that underneath.
-Can’t find free play setting… have to actuate coin switches to add credits.
-“Wizard” playing mode does not function
-My “evil winking genie” plastic at the top of the mini playfield stack is mounted with 2 screws and two small spacers. This differs from Kaneda’s video which shows this plastic mounted on two springs.
-The data ribbon cable coming out of the computer case in bottom of cabinet has no slot cut out so we have to be careful not to “shear off” ribbon cable if computer box is fully tightened! My box came with only 2 of 4 thumbscrews installed on the cover and they were very loose to accommodate ribbon cable.
-The original left and right ramp lock mechs will be needed to make the main multiball mode function. Can they be added?
-The “impossible” standup switch under the left ramp does indeed look impossible to hit! It lights the ball save for either outlane.
-The power switch is on the rear of the machine… use a power bar!
-My 3D owl was facing backwards like others. You can turn it to face forward easily

Thanks, Nick.

Dunno what to even think about a list this long and thorough. What was John's opinion about the game going out, since you picked it up in person? Was he proud of it? Did he feel this is him fulfilling his commitment to the MG owners? Just such an odd ending to this.

#22717 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

As the details emerge with each machine, it will only get stranger.

Seems like the real "Winners" will be the ones that keep it nib and it doesn't get played. Just a collectible in a box to be traded around.

#22820 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

He's probably not working on games, rather hitting up "Craigslist Dubai" for the next sugar daddy who will write a check without doing any research.

I agree. He's probably got screen shots of every craigslist ad and every ebay listing that has gone up.

#22840 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

AP just wants JPop to GTFO of the facility!

What, they don't enjoy his company and hearing his endless stories of 35 years in the business?

#22961 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I realize it is weird, but don't all those differences make each game unique...in a good way? Obviously, they should all work equally well, but unique plastics seems like an awesome, amazing idea for a boutique build. If my game had a truly unique set of plastics that no other machine had, I'd be happy!

Perhaps if each game worked 100%, but was unique. But this seems all hobbled together.

#23032 7 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Agreed. I watched the twitch stream of Total Annihilation and it was freaking fantastic. It is already light years better than Magic Girl and TA doesn't even have art on it.

yeah it's interesting to see in the TA thread people debating what it "should" cost with prices as low as $2500, but the reality is it is a much more polished and playable (and FUN) game than MG will ever be.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
1,305 posts in this topic match your search for posts by frolic. You are on page 5 of 6.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frolic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6mg-raza-and-aiw%E2%80%A6/page/5?tu=frolic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.