(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,545 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,545 posts in this topic. You are on page 59 of 491.
#2901 9 years ago

Seeing the difficulty that JJP had with getting WOZ out the door, with the money he had and the team he put together, is when I started to get concerned.

Then you run into issues like light boards, jpop would not have the resources to handle a cluserfuck like that. To start fedexing out replacement boards. there is no money for that.

I don't see the road to victory. The fact that John ignores these concerns and questions just shows both a lack of respect for his customers and a delusion that everything will work itself out, all by itself.

His moment to "shock the world" was last month with the MG reveal, but that confirmed our worst fears, that he is in the weeds and doesn't know how to get out, or doesn't even realize it.

#2902 9 years ago

Or that he just can't at this point : (

#2903 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

It seems that way. He reminds me of the Dunken Donuts "Time to make the donuts" guy. Gets out of bed in the morning, goes to work every day, making donuts.

But in this case, no one eats the donuts.

Well... people are there for donuts. He takes their money for the donuts and tells them how good they will be when he's done with them.

#2904 9 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

I'm afraid that if this is the kind of stuff that John is patenting, you can consider yourselves investors ...

Quoted from Sjsilver:

Investors get equity in exchange for risk. More like Patrons of the Arts.

I prefer the term "benefactor".

#2905 9 years ago

This game isn't an Oculus Rift VR Skyrim kind of thing. If buyers finally get their games, the negative experience this has already generated inside the mind will prevent them from enjoying what is, at the end of the day, just a simple game of pinball.

The only thing positive here is its rarity which might bring the value up to $35k, but like frolic said, from the lightboard issues of JJP and all the other problems that custom made parts will create for the owner, these things might become lemons, and their value can drop like a stone. Or they might get remade by the company that buys the rights when Zidware goes belly up.

So if you're doing this, it should be for the fun of playing, not as an investment,
which brings me back to what I stated in my first paragraph.

#2906 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

The second stern puts there monitor in the wrestlemaina play field where John took his patent out he will waste more time trying to sue them I'm sure

I've posted this a few times already, but the patent you're worried about is already non-finally rejected and IM (non-lawyer) O not very likely to get approved. The primary reason he was shot down was because of... his own patent on CV. And that patent is totally BS anyway as far as I can tell due to Flipper Football prior art. Just no one gave a shit to actually challenge it.

#2907 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

The problem is everyone is so paranoid that they might miss out on a cool game, that they're paralyzed (I supposed that could be we're, since I'm not really doing anything either). John has sufficiently exhibited that he won't respond to negative comments, or requests for timelines. I hate to say don't bother any more, but really, why bother.

I am less certain people are paralyzed, than there is just no way out at this point. I remember discussing a lowball amount of say $1K to buy out a position; there is no way I would expect a "patron" at this point to sell at that price. I would probably just ride it out.

But the flip side is with ALL this negative news, and apparently NO positive news regarding these games actually getting done (please let me know if I missed it), even a $1K buyout at this point is probably optimistic.

Several people have stated they would sell spots lately, I haven't seen anybody claim to have a completed deal recently.

#2908 9 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

even a $1K buyout at this point is probably optimistic.

Yea optimistic on your part! No way anyone is selling a $6500 spot for $1000. I will walk away and forget my spot with the hope that someday something gets completed before i sell for a dumb ass offer like $1000

#2909 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Yea optimistic on your part! No way anyone is selling a $6500 spot for $1000. I will walk away and forget my spot with the hope that someday something gets completed before i sell for a dumb ass offer like $1000

I agree; it would also be fiscally irresponsible for me to step in at $1K at this point.

Paralyzed; stuck; in for the long haul. An apt description of the unfortunate benefactors of this project. I am not trying to rub anybody's nose in it. I could even be (gasp!) wrong.

But for me this is how off the rails things seem to have gone...

#2910 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

I've posted this a few times already, but the patent you're worried about is already non-finally rejected and IM (non-lawyer) O not very likely to get approved. The primary reason he was shot down was because of... his own patent on CV. And that patent is totally BS anyway as far as I can tell due to Flipper Football prior art. Just no one gave a shit to actually challenge it.

Is that how the patent system works? For example the "pinball interacting with the screen" patent application, does someone need to come forward and tell them that P3 had a prototype demo before?

What happens if no one did that, even if that was the case? How much research can the patent office actually do for weird obscure things like pinball parts?

#2911 9 years ago

This gets so depressing... Month went by of the big reveal and all we saw was the play field art and cabinet art. No working playing game...

#2912 9 years ago

John you have to get past the "patent" BS and how worthless, time wasting and money wasting they are to FOCUS on. A good article in Forbes really helps break it down in simple terms.

It seems he tried to start and build a business around them.

A small excerpt:

My suggestions for a small technology companies*:

"Don’t base your business strategy on patents. And don’t try to raise money primarily on the basis of patents; most likely this will fail and you will appear naïve.

It’s worthwhile to file patents for your key inventions in the U.S. (what patent-savvy universities do), but don’t go much beyond that.

Pay close attention to patents that others hold which might enable competitors to block you. In my experience “freedom to operate” is more important when evaluating a business plan than patent ownership.

It will rarely make sense for a small company to sue a big company for patent infringement. The lawyers will probably be the winners.

Non-patent intellectual property strategies can hold off copycats effectively. Trade secrets (parts of the product or production technology that are hard for competitors to replicate), knowledge of customers, and superior rate of innovation work best.

Build your business on real competitive advantages: product value-in-use, customer relationships, rapid innovation. Don’t count on patents to defend you from your competitors."

See the final statement ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And of course, the "lawyers will probably be the winners"

#2913 9 years ago

"Enforcing your patent in the courts is a nightmare. Plan on 3-5 years and $3-$5 million to get to a judgment. And then there is the appeal … Usually the stakes and time frame will be too much for a start-up. One of my portfolio companies sued a big company for infringement, and the judge has ruled that infringement occurred, but there are many legal maneuvers available, and the litigation clock and meter tick on in year four. We think the big company wants to make a statement: “let this be a lesson to small companies that have the temerity to sue us for infringement …” Patent litigation is the true sport of kings.

It costs $20k-$30k to file a final (“utility”) patent. Some small companies make dozens of filings, spending a good fraction of a million dollars. When might this investment pay off?

Like the article says, "THE SPORT OF KINGS".

Even Apple and Google have decided to lay down their swords for now over many patent fights!

#2914 9 years ago

I thought you'd like this:
http://onforb.es/17zlQih

Maybe somebody can get this to John, not that it would do any good.

I'd say the same thing to JJP too, Stern already knows it.

If you have a pinball lawyer will to obtain a final utility patent for free, like maybe some have, file away.

Unless you have discovered a cure for cancer or some other DRUG, pat yourself on the back, feel good about being innovative, but you don't have shit!

Build your business on PRODUCT VALUE IN-USE, CUSTOMER RELATIONSHIPS and RAPID INNOVATION.

Hmmmmm, ^^^^^^^^^ Ego absolutely can crush a person/company.

#2915 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It costs $20k-$30k to file a final (“utility”) patent.

Does this give an idea of how much John has spent? We don't know how many patents he's filed, do we?

It's likely however, that six-figures have been spent on patent filings. Combined with the time and delay they've added to the project (cash burn). And for what?

#2916 9 years ago

Probably spent about $30k on patents. It's about $12k per patent filed over a few year period.

#2917 9 years ago

I followed up in support to ChrisVW's post on the blog. Why are other's telling him how cute his dog is?
I also asked him if we have been paying for his lawyers and patents.
Does anyone here know what day this month is the big RAZA reveal? I asked him that too.

#2918 9 years ago

Lol rasa reveal pushed back... Still waiting for my reveal

#2919 9 years ago

Don't see how raza can be shown if MG can't. So, really, we're in the same place we've been for years now... waiting for MG.

#2920 9 years ago

Cant someone 'lean' on him and get some answers? FFS harden up and demand satisfaction. What is he gonna do kick your head in!!!??!

#2921 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Does this give an idea of how much John has spent? We don't know how many patents he's filed, do we?
It's likely however, that six-figures have been spent on patent filings. Combined with the time and delay they've added to the project (cash burn). And for what?

It's possible/more likely than not, that John had some pinhead lawyer help him at little to no cost, filing fees and such and I think maybe I recall he said that long ago in talking to him.

If he spent six figures on legal fees, we are doomed, done, finito. You can't waste that much $$$ and survive on such a small company/project. Yet maybe that is where a bulk of the $$$ has gone?

I KNOW for a fact that Jack hasn't paid for such legal fees in a meaningful way, per Jack, a while back, but who knows the context of all that and what exactly he was alluding to.

Bottom line, if "legal fees" are a significant line item when you are doing the P&L and getting ready to file the tax return then you are most likely F ed as a small company!

#2922 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

John had some pinhead lawyer help him at little to no cost

The same lawyer who told him Robbie was ok to use? You get what you pay for .

Even if the legal was basically free, it takes time to write a patent... that all costs money.

#2923 9 years ago
Quoted from HunchbackHodler:

The only thing positive here is its rarity which might bring the value up to $35k, but like frolic said, from the lightboard issues of JJP and all the other problems that custom made parts will create for the owner, these things might become lemons, and their value can drop like a stone. Or they might get remade by the company that buys the rights when Zidware goes belly up.

There are more rare high demand games, and nothing approaches $35k, so there's no logical reason to assume this would reach that height unless the economies of the world go into hyperinflation, and even then it's not really today's $35k. Given the $17k MG loan for 5 years with a final value of $20k, that is a 3% rate of return on your investment.

#2924 9 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

There are more rare high demand games, and nothing approaches $35k, so there's no logical reason to assume this would reach that height unless the economies of the world go into hyperinflation, and even then it's not really today's $35k. Given the $17k MG loan for 5 years with a final value of $20k, that is a 3% rate of return on your investment.

Kingpin does.

#2925 9 years ago

There are going to be 2-5x as many MG's as Kingpins, and that value took many years to achieve. Is there a confirmed sale at $35k? Highest I've seen was closer to $30k.

#2926 9 years ago

Whats makes the Kingpin (I assume the Capcom version) Special?

#2927 9 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

There are going to be 2-5x as many MG's as Kingpins, and that value took many years to achieve. Is there a confirmed sale at $35k? Highest I've seen was closer to $30k.

I know a dude who spent like $60k on one. All it takes is one maniac.

#2928 9 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

I've sold one for way higher...

#2929 9 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Whats makes the Kingpin (I assume the Capcom version) Special?

They only made 9 prototypes before Capcom closed it's doors, and it's what many regard as the best game capcom made (even more than Big bang bar)
http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=4000

#2930 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I know a dude who spent like $60k on one. All it takes is one maniac.

There's more then one. It sold a second time after I sold it

#2931 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Is that how the patent system works? For example the "pinball interacting with the screen" patent application, does someone need to come forward and tell them that P3 had a prototype demo before?
What happens if no one did that, even if that was the case? How much research can the patent office actually do for weird obscure things like pinball parts?

There are non-patent literature sources, but I am not sure specifically for pinball what would be available. Doesn't Pinball 2000 interact with the ball? There are patents for that.

#2932 9 years ago

Cool, thanks for the information ya'll. Crazy stuff lol. I had no idea what I was getting into!!

#2933 9 years ago

Found this more appropriate "dog" photo.

jpop.jpgjpop.jpg

#2934 9 years ago

I just caught up on the past 4 weeks of this thread, holy cow.

#2935 9 years ago

Looking forward to the evolution and renaming of this thread to .... Courtroom Chronicles of Zidware. Sadly, and in one way or another, this JPOP saga seems destined to become entangled by the US legal system, before the first pin sees the light of day from a Collector's gameroom. Sorry folks, but this situation is akin to Sysyphus pushing a large boulder uphill for eternity. Each transgression results in stopping the forward movement of the bolder and allows it to fall backwards and on top of its master. There is little recourse left to investors, and certainly no apparent good option to resolving.

#2936 9 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Looking forward to the evolution and renaming of this thread to .... Courtroom Chronicles of Zidware. Sadly, and in one way or another, this JPOP saga seems destined to become entangled by the US legal system, before the first pin sees the light of day from a Collector's gameroom. Sorry folks, but this situation is akin to Sysyphus pushing a large boulder uphill for eternity. Each transgression results in stopping the forward movement of the bolder and allows it to fall backwards and on top of its master. There is little recourse left to investors, and certainly no apparent good option to resolving.

Thumbs-up for elaborate Greek mythology reference!

#2937 9 years ago

The fact that it is a loose group of people with "only" 16K or so invested each makes him a lot more safe from lawsuits than if it was one big investor who had given him $2M.

Trying to get all the "owners" together for a class action would be like herding cats, since they don't all agree on what or how, and also own different games.

Kind of smart in an evil way.

#2938 9 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

The fact that it is a loose group of people with "only" 16K or so invested each makes him a lot more safe from lawsuits than if it was one big investor who had given him $2M.
Trying to get all the "owners" together for a class action would be like herding cats, since they don't all agree on what or how, and also own different games.
Kind of smart in an evil way.

It only takes 3 creditors to plead to the court for an involuntary bankruptcy.

#2939 9 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

And there are at least three supplier/vendor/contractors which fall into the creditor category alone. Not withstanding all the owner/buyers...

#2940 9 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

And there are at least three supplier/vendor/contractors which fall into the creditor category alone. Not withstanding all the owner/buyers...

THe breach of contract on delivery date makes all the "buyers" de facto creditors.

#2941 9 years ago

Would you guys agree that John is in Breach of contract?

His contract states:

The company will use it's reasonable and best efforts to complete this project in a reasonable amount of time. Any delays or extensions to the planned schedule will be communicated in a timely manner.

Last page has a timeline with delivery date estimated at 4th quarter of 2013.

#2942 9 years ago

I'm feeling quite breached.... With every passing day that requests for information are ignored.

It's amazing how clueless some people can be that providing a little information, even negative information, is better than providing no information.

#2943 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Any delays or extensions to the planned schedule will be communicated in a timely manner.

Oh boy, that is a rich statement in light of all that has gone on.

#2944 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

His contract states:
The company will use it's reasonable and best efforts to complete this project in a reasonable amount of time. Any delays or extensions to the planned schedule will be communicated in a timely manner.

Yep, I feel he is in breach of the contract. It wouldn't be such a big deal if we were kept in the loop on what's going on and had some idea of when these pins would be completed. Obviously he thinks it's OK to go into ostrich mode.
He's running out of time with me. He has time to post stupid dog pics (and why did every reply on the blog kiss his ass about the dog) but can't let his customers know what the hell is going on.
I can't see this having a good outcome anymore.

#2945 9 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

Hmmm, looks we have some "dumber than a bag of hammers" again.

If a company has 12 or more creditors, an involuntary bankruptcy petition requires (a) three or more creditors whose claims are not contingent as to liability or subject to a bona fide dispute as to either liability or amount to file the petition, and (b) those qualifying claims must total, in the aggregate, at least $14,425 if unsecured or $14,425 more than the value of any liens securing those claims if any are secured.

Get it right SAD SACK and thumb upper

#2946 9 years ago

Here is your follow on Dope Sack.....

"If the company has fewer than 12 creditors, it only takes one qualifying creditor to file an involuntary petition."

#2947 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

His contract states:

Rai, look through this thread, how many times have I said he is in 'BREACH OF HIS CONTRACT" (aside from being breached by him F ing us in the ass every day, pardon my outrage)

The NDA is LONG GONE, we can sue him for promissory estoppel amongst a host of other remedies.

I'm about to start posting pictures of the dog and other sensitive info to see if he will refund my $$$ as a violation of his perceived NDA!

#2948 9 years ago

Will JPop even bother responding to emails anymore? Does he respond to anyone who sends him an email asking for a refund? If so, what does he say?

#2949 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Rai, look through this thread, how many times have I said he is in 'BREACH OF HIS CONTRACT" (aside from being breached by him F ing us in the ass every day, pardon my outrage)
The NDA is LONG GONE, we can sue him for promissory estoppel amongst a host of other remedies.
I'm about to start posting pictures of the dog and other sensitive info to see if he will refund my $$$ as a violation of his perceived NDA!

Well u will at least know if he's reading when u post leaked pics here!

#2950 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Will JPop even bother responding to emails anymore? Does he respond to anyone who sends him an email asking for a refund? If so, what does he say?

He doesn't respond to shit, nothing, emails, blog posts, calls, nada. Not a F ing thing.

So.......it's about to come to a head. I'm gonna start posting everything from the blog and then if he has the balls to take me off of there I'm going to start the "process"........

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 24,545 posts in this topic. You are on page 59 of 491.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6mg-raza-and-aiw%E2%80%A6/page/59 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.