(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,288 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 168 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,694 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png
B3F72CE8-1FCA-4E93-9994-CCC068D8F4C2 (resized).jpeg
7A86BB52-E1F5-4086-955C-86A6383C27D3 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

21 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24288 posts in this topic. You are on page 55 of 486.
#2701 4 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Can we not kidnap JPop and force him to design games at Stern or JJP?

I think it's the other way around: I.e., you would have to force Stern or JJP to hire him.

#2702 4 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Sort of not surprising why he isn't working at JJP or stern (may not be his choice)

He's got too much baggage to work for either of them. Do u think he would go back to someone telling him hurry up, or stop changing things?

#2703 4 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

He's got too much baggage to work for either of them. Do u think he would go back to someone telling him hurry up, or stop changing things?

Maybe he'll pick up some humility after all this? Though he's booked himself up for the next decade so maybe he will just be ready for retirement after all this

#2704 4 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Frankly, I don't think JPop would last 3 months working for Gomez, much less for Guarnieri.

I can see Stern possibly buying the IP somewhere down the road in an asset sale and making the games themselves, but I cannot imagine a productive business collaboration between Stern and Zidware, no matter how tight the contract.

#2705 4 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Frankly, I don't think JPop would last 3 months working for Gomez, much less for Guarnieri.
I can see Stern possibly buying the IP somewhere down the road in an asset sale and making the games themselves, but I cannot imagine a productive business collaboration between Stern and Zidware, no matter how tight the contract.

When JPOP files for Bankruptcy, which will eventually happen, we will all ask ourselves how those buyers could have been so stupid...........The evidence is great, but the denial is even greater.

#2706 4 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

When JPOP files for Bankruptcy, which will eventually happen, we will all ask ourselves how those buyers could have been so stupid...........The evidence is great, but the denial is even greater.

Look at this thread, most of the buyers are the ones doing the complaining and can see this is not a sustainable business in its current state.

We're all holding on to some hope, because that's all we've got at this point. The money is gone.

#2707 4 years ago

Time to take a minute and put together a bullet point list highlighting the progress made this year on pins being worked on by JPOP.

Without further ado, here we are:

#2708 4 years ago

The Dark DB.......FO

Quoted from ZenTron:

Time to take a minute and put together a bullet point list highlighting the progress made this year on pins being worked on by JPOP.

Can you be any ______________

#2709 4 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

they already bought the KISS license a month after JPOP's reveal at MGC. However, Stern only makes licensed games, so unless they rethemed the layouts (which can happen since sometimes themes were picked after a layout was complete) I don't see that happening.
six_flags.jpg

#2710 4 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Hahahahahaha

You got me!

Edit: Didn't he release cab art this year?

Post edited by Jakenjoi: Was still laughing

#2711 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

they already bought the KISS license a month after JPOP's reveal at MGC. However, Stern only makes licensed games, so unless they rethemed the layouts (which can happen since sometimes themes were picked after a layout was complete) I don't see that happening.

Stern is a manufacturing company. That's why they are building Whoa Nellie! Big Juicy Melons. They want to utilize their equipment, keep they employees busy, and make a profit. Licensing is only a secondary consideration.

#2712 4 years ago

Did you read this entire thread? Many of the buyers including myself jumped in on this because of jpop's prior experience. So we're all stupid because we should of known a guy with 30ish years of experience was gonna flake out?
You could of said the same thing for any pre-order.

#2713 4 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Licensing is only a secondary consideration.

That's ridiculous, the primary business is acquiring licenses and making pinball machines for MORE profit than manufacturing somebody else's pin.

#2714 4 years ago

AMH had about a year of work done when Chuck started his company. It took a little over another year to get it ready for manufacture and coded.

So about two years total, as a nights and weekend job for me.

#2715 4 years ago

Talking about the buyer's in a negative light here is in bad taste IMO, they had faith in a guy with 20+
year's reputation designing some of the top pinball machines of all time.
Without the pre-order buyer's/investor's , MG, Raza, etc would never of had a chance.
The buyer's should be applauded in their support, patience, and loyalty up to this point,
especially considering what has been shown and communicated (or not) lately.
Think how you would feel if you had as much as these buyer's have on the line...
Let's support them for once, and hope they get their well deserved games.

#2716 4 years ago
Quoted from Shrub_Light:

Did you read this entire thread? Many of the buyers including myself jumped in on this because of jpop's prior experience. So we're all stupid because we should of known a guy with 30ish years of experience was gonna flake out?
You could of said the same thing for any pre-order.

I have read the entire thread and the 3 others started prior. This saga has been going on for what seems like forever and I have been trying to wake you guys up for years. Answer me a few questions......Did you ask for a refund? Did you try and sell your spot? Did you pay JPOP a visit with a pair of scissors and threaten to cut off his long, lovely, locks of hair if he didn't give you your money back? What ever happened to real men? Sorry for your loss guys, I really am, but at this point, it's on you.

#2717 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

That's ridiculous, the primary business is acquiring licenses and making pinball machines for MORE profit than manufacturing somebody else's pin.

Lots of manufacturing companies build products with lower profit margins if those products fill production capacity, keep the employees busy, and help cover overhead costs. That's why they're building Whoa Nellie on a contract basis.

Have you ever heard Gary Stern start off a presentation by saying, "We are primarily a license-acquiring company that makes pinball machines"? No, and there's a reason for that.

#2718 4 years ago

there are people with deposits that are actively trying to get out of this charade. Blaming anything on these guys is ridiculous.

#2719 4 years ago

I have read the entire thread and the 3 others started prior. This saga has going on for what seems like forever and I have been trying to wake you guys up for years. Answer me a few questions......Did you ask for a refund? Did you try and sell your spot? Did you pay JPOP a visit with a pair of scissors and threaten to cut off his long, lovely, locks of hair if he didn't give you your money back? What ever happened to real men? Sorry for your loss guys, I really am, but at this point, it's on you.

It's like you have some kind of uncanny 7th sense to predict things that happened in the past.

#2720 4 years ago

Did you pay JPOP a visit with a pair of scissors and threaten to cut off his long, lovely, locks of hair if he didn't give you your money back?

OK, I had to laugh at that, but it's still in bad taste, to tease/ridicule these buyer's/investor's.
What would you say now, IF JPOP would of revealed MG at expo with 2 fully working games
that would of blown TBL out of the water? You would be eating crow is what you would be doing, since you stated,
"I have been trying to wake you guys up for years, how stupid you are, etc.."
But now you come here, seeing that things are not really encouraging, just to ridicule for no reason
whatsoever to the buyer's, turn your rant toward's Jpop, where it is warranted.

#2721 4 years ago
Quoted from limelime20:

OK, I had to laugh at that, but it's still in bad taste, to tease/ridicule these buyer's/investor's.
What would you say now, IF JPOP would of revealed MG at expo with 2 fully working games
that would of blown TBL out of the water? You would be eating crow is what you would be doing, since you stated,
"I have been trying to wake you guys up for years, how stupid you are, etc.."
But now you come here, seeing that things are not really encouraging, just to ridicule for no reason
whatsoever to the buyer's, turn your rant toward's Jpop, where it is warranted.

He ignores rants on his site too. At least here buyers get acknowledged by other lol

#2722 4 years ago

I have read the entire thread and the 3 others started prior. This saga has been going on for what seems like forever and I have been trying to wake you guys up for years. Answer me a few questions......Did you ask for a refund? Did you try and sell your spot? Did you pay JPOP a visit with a pair of scissors and threaten to cut off his long, lovely, locks of hair if he didn't give you your money back? What ever happened to real men? Sorry for your loss guys, I really am, but at this point, it's on you.

I don't believe that anyone was ever given a refund without another buyer to take their place.
The same number of enthusiasts would be in this very same position, no matter who they are/would be.
These believers are the best part of pinball. They have proven that they love the hobby enough to take a very expensive risk.
Blaming them is not the right thing to do.
"I told you so" has never been a smart tactic FWIW.

#2723 4 years ago

Post edited by ChrisVW: decided not to be a dick...for now

#2724 4 years ago

lol

#2725 4 years ago
Quoted from limelime20:

Talking about the buyer's in a negative light here is in bad taste IMO, they had faith in a guy with 20+
year's reputation designing some of the top pinball machines of all time.
Without the pre-order buyer's/investor's , MG, Raza, etc would never of had a chance.
The buyer's should be applauded in their support, patience, and loyalty up to this point,
especially considering what has been shown and communicated (or not) lately.
Think how you would feel if you had as much as these buyer's have on the line...
Let's support them for once, and hope they get their well deserved games.

I applaud anyone that does what they believe in and supports what they believe in
and those that have the guts and conviction to help make things happen
like fund pinball machines via pre-order.

#2726 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

Post edited by ChrisVW: decided not to be a dick...for now

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-would-buy-a-zombieland-pin-from-jpop

You should absolutely post that and you are not being a dick for doing it. The truth is the truth, just make sure you post the whole truth. There were many stages to this project and many stages to the deposits. Things change as time and money fall by the waste side.

#2727 4 years ago

Un-drained this topic recently.
Wow y'all been busy!

Another few weeks and we might be planning to murder the dude. Though I like the kidnapping into labor idea

Sorry to hear a few owners of the games are very unhappy at the moment.
I talked to John about this a few weeks ago in person and hopefully he tries to correct that.

Can't really defend his business practices but I'm still on board for some zidware games.

I have notice between all my visits that work is definitely being done and it's also being done to an extremely high level of quality. I don't think he just does the fun stuff, a lot of his process looks extremely tedious, such as the cabling on cad and documenting everything.

Just my 2 cents

#2728 4 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Un-drained this topic recently.
Wow y'all been busy!
Another few weeks and we might be planning to murder the dude. Though I like the kidnapping into labor idea
Sorry to hear a few owners of the games are very unhappy at the moment.
I talked to John about this a few weeks ago in person and hopefully he tries to correct that.
Can't really defend his business practices but I'm still on board for some zidware games.
I have notice between all my visits that work is definitely being done and it's also being done to an extremely high level of quality. I don't think he just does the fun stuff, a lot of his process looks extremely tedious, such as the cabling on cad and documenting everything.
Just my 2 cents

Welcome back! It was cool to see him post a pic of you guys on FB.

#2729 4 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-would-buy-a-zombieland-pin-from-jpop
You should absolutely post that and you are not being a dick for doing it. The truth is the truth, just make sure you post the whole truth. There were many stages to this project and many stages to the deposits. Things change as time and money fall by the waste side.

Reading that thread is interesting.

Here is a post that I made...more than 2 years ago (damn time flies!):

Quoted from RobT:

I don't know about 5 years, but the things that you mention above played a very large role in my decision to get out.

Plus the fact that we BHZA buyers haven't heard anything in terms of what is going on with the project, no group/discussion forum for owners......nothing....didn't help either.

Just too many unknowns for me at this point in time, with nothing to give me reason/confidence to stay in and risk more money since I believe that payments from this point forward (November) are now non-refundable.

Finally, as Pinlawyer said, I do worry about what the code will be like. They don't have a Keefer or Lyman working for them.

I'm taking my refund and will apply it towards a high end restoration of an AFM. It will actually cost more than BHZA, but at least I know exactly what I'm getting.

I think the theme and artwork on BHZA is going to be phenomenal when it is released, but virtually everything else about it is up in the air..

So no communication 2 years ago.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Oh, and this was posted more than 2 years ago too:

Quoted from jpop:

We are working hard to get the first 3 MG protos built now

#2730 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiball1:

I PLAYED A FEW GAMES OF MAGIC GIRL and really enjoyed the game. (It was not 100% done)

The LED screen was functioning, had tons of animation (certainly still has more to go), and it was fully interactive with gameplay.

Soundtrack and sounds were very appealing. I hate to take his new work and reference it by looking back 20 years but since it's the only comparable we all know, think along the lines of a TOM / TOTAN combo.

The playfield is far from a white wood. I believe the prototype I played had the final version of the playfield, although I'm sure anything is subject to change, but any of us would be thrilled to have this in our game without a single revision. The artwork is absolutely amazing. Colors are vibrant and really JPOP.

The backglass/translite is stunning and I believe it's been finalized. Artwork is also amazing and it beautifully compliments the playfield and cabinet art.

So, why did he just bring a empty cabinet to expo?, when he could of brought all this?
sounds like it would of been a big hit at expo.!!

#2731 4 years ago
Quoted from limelime20:

...they had faith in a guy with 20+ year's reputation designing some of the top pinball machines of all time.

And so did those of us who were trying to help him realize these dreams. Don't think that any of us vendors/suppliers/engineers/artists/etc. weren't any less excited about being a part of it or that we didn't have faith that he would be able to pull it off with our help. We all want to see him succeed and deliver a fantastic product.

But the truth of it is this: He has thrown away far more years of experience (at his disposal) than he ever accumulated through out his career. He needs a good team of experts in their respective fields to be able to complete what he's started.

Unfortunately there isn't a team. Never was a team. A bunch of very talented people, yes, but only working one-on-one with John. And I'm sure that those talented individuals still want to see him succeed and get the products done. But John has to step up and fix the outstanding issues at hand and finally bring a "real team" together. That's the only way it's ever going to happen.

#2732 4 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

And so did those of us who were trying to help him realize these dreams. Don't think that any of us vendors/suppliers/engineers/artists/etc. weren't any less excited about being a part of it or that we didn't have faith that he would be able to pull it off with our help. We all want to see him succeed and deliver a fantastic product.
But the truth of it is this: He has thrown away far more years of experience (at his disposal) than he ever accumulated through out his career. He needs a good team of experts in their respective fields to be able to complete what he's started.
Unfortunately there isn't a team. Never was a team. A bunch of very talented people, yes, but only working one-on-one with John. And I'm sure that those talented individuals still want to see him succeed and get the products done. But John has to step up and fix the outstanding issues at hand and finally bring a "real team" together. That's the only way it's ever going to happen.

There u go.. Inside knowledge.. We're all doomed!

#2733 4 years ago

Yes, and don't let us forget about ALL the other supply, vendor's who must be on the hook for $$$, time, etc...with JPop.
We hear from GLModular (god bless you), but god knows how many other's who are sitting
on the sidelines, hoping, waiting, and not speaking up..(you don't have too, we know your out there).
Like GLMod say's, let's hope a "real team" can get together on this.

#2734 4 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Lots of manufacturing companies build products with lower profit margins if those products fill production capacity, keep the employees busy, and help cover overhead costs. That's why they're building Whoa Nellie on a contract basis.
Have you ever heard Gary Stern start off a presentation by saying, "We are primarily a license-acquiring company that makes pinball machines"? No, and there's a reason for that.

It's not their "primary business", period. They are also building MMr and trying to get into gaming.

How many pins have they built for others in the last two decades?

#2735 4 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

No offense but what about this statement is any kind of "revelation" to anybody?

John has admitted that he needs to bring in some "muscle" to complete the projects. Whether he can or not remains to be seen, not likely imo. I highly doubt that he is totally ignorant of the facts and what he is facing.

He may F it all up and never succeed. I'm guessing that everybody that is piling on have all designed and built their own pinball machines in the past from A to Z. No excuses for him and he has F ed up a lot but he is not a complete idiot.

#2736 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

No offense but what about this statement is any kind of "revelation" to anybody?

Because, what you are getting is a perspective from a vendor, that you never usually get to see..

#2737 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It's not there "primary business", period. They are also building MMr and trying to get into gaming.
How many pins have they built for others in the last two decades?

"Manufacturing" IS Stern's primary business. Gary leads off every presentation he makes with that statement. Some people hate it, some people openly ridicule it (i.e., DP-PHIL), but it is ABSOLUTELY true.

Some of the advantages of being Stern Pinball is that they have a big manufacturing facility, multiple production lines, and a bunch of people on staff. Some of the disadvantages of being Stern Pinball is that they have a big manufacturing facility, multiple production lines, and a bunch of people on staff. The fixed costs for all of those "assets" consume a lot of cash each month, so there is an incredible financial incentive to amortize those costs over as many production units as possible, whether they be licensed/high-profit/internally-designed units or unlicensed/low-profit/externally-designed units. The same motivation leads many companies to produce "loss leader" products, not because those companies don't like making money, but because they would rather partially cover their overhead than not cover it at all when their plants are otherwise lightly utilized.

I guarantee you that Gary Stern cares a hell of a lot more about keeping those assets fully utilized than he does about ONLY making licensed products, because he has to cover those high overhead costs before he has any hope of generating a profit. Quite simply, he has to "feed the beast" (maximize the asset utilization) to make any money. And if Gary can pick up some attractive IP assets from Ziddware in an asset sale (e.g., Section 363 sale), he will be all over that opportunity in a heartbeat.

#2738 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Because Tony (GLM) is a very level-headed guy and seems to have experience dealing with John. You may also notice Tony rarely posts in threads like these so I would take anything he has to say seriously.

#2739 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

....No excuses for him and he has F ed up a lot but he is not a complete idiot.

This is incorrect. He is a complete business idiot to let his customers get this riled if he has something to show. If he really doesn't have anything to show, then he is a complete idiot in more than one way.

#2740 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It's not a revelation, it's a reminder.

#2741 4 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

... And if Gary can pick up some attractive IP assets from Ziddware in an asset sale (e.g., Section 363 sale), he will be all over that opportunity in a heartbeat.

THis would be the benefit to all of us "non-owners" if you "owners" end up forcing an involuntary bankruptcy: We all could order MG and RAZA from Stern for half the original retail price. It would only take 3 disgruntled "owners" to get the ball rolling.

http://bankruptcy.cooley.com/2012/05/articles/business-bankruptcy-issues/forced-into-bankruptcy-the-involuntary-bankruptcy-process/

#2742 4 years ago

Intermission...lol

#2744 4 years ago
Quoted from limelime20:

So, why did he just bring a empty cabinet to expo?, when he could of brought all this?
sounds like it would of been a big hit at expo.!!

I can only submise it's because he has extreme paranoia of Stern & others stealing his ideas and getting them to market before him.

#2745 4 years ago

That's where lots of the money went.. Lawyer and patents...

#2746 4 years ago

Either way, I hope all the buyer's get their machines eventually.

#2747 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

[Stern] trying to get into gaming.

Wow, first I'd heard of that. I have to say it would shock me for a number of reasons.

#2748 4 years ago
Quoted from limelime20:

That doesn't make any sense...If He has what YOU says he has, Stern, or any other god, had nothing on him, so it doesn't make sense....you played it...what gives?

Look, I'm not about to get into a pissing contest with you.

The fact that John is extremely paranoid about competitors stealing his ideas and bringing them to market first is very well known. So if it doesn't "make sense" and you want to know "what gives" then ask the person with the paranoia, not the person trying to nicely answer your question as to why a proto wasn't brought to expo.

With that being said, I think you're a fool if you think a powerhouse like Stern can't bring a concept to market (even if it's a stolen idea) quicker than any boutique firm out there can.

Oh, but there are patents...... Yeah, you try being a small boutique firm who pays a lawyer by the hour and attempts to bring legal action against the gorilla with a team of lawyers on retainer. Talk about the boutique firm hitting an iceberg of expense and immediately beginning to sink as they ooze cash.

#2749 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiball1:

Yeah, you try being a small boutique firm who pays a lawyer by the hour and attempts to bring legal action against the gorilla with a team of lawyers on retainer. Talk about the boutique firm hitting an iceberg of expense and immediately beginning to sink as they ooze cash.

I completely agree with you on this.

He spent so much time and money on getting patents and lawyers to work with the USPTO but yet doesn't have the wherewithal to defend the patents if (I mean when) the idea is used by another company. At this point all that time, money and energy was wasted. John should have been able to figure this out a long time ago.

#2750 4 years ago

I dunno about that one, last trip out i had the pleasure of meeting JPOP's patent lawyer. That dude is awesome, probably the coolest lawyer I've ever met. I doubt he's bleeding Zidware's bank accounts.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Mods for your pinballs
$ 625.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 32.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
There are 24288 posts in this topic. You are on page 55 of 486.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside