(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,316 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 165 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,696 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sucks (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 50 of 487.
#2451 5 years ago

WHat exactly does the video show that wasn't already known?

#2452 5 years ago

I like that he puts effort into the art work.I liked his dialogue about pop culture and about how the artwork is what lasts the longest.I have 2 games in my collection that i bought mostly for the artwork,Fireball and Silverball Mania.

I don't like that he's taken money and not produced or shown significant progress in the actual 'build'.The game,MG,really looks special,just like TBL.I hope they get built.

Scott

#2453 5 years ago

Mark my words:
Magic Girl -the best game never built!

#2454 5 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

WHat exactly does the video show that wasn't already known?

Quite a bit. Most people haven't seen the inside of his shop, and there's a lot of wide shots of the shop. The things he's been showing owners about MG/RAZA are usually just individual parts or art pieces, he's never shown mostly assembled play fields to anyone outside the shop before.

#2455 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I see assembled games... but I have no fantasy that an assembled game is one that is anywhere near complet.

Remember, Kevin (Skit-B) had working games 2-3 years ago. I hope MG does not take another 2-3 years to get delivered.

Also, I see no RAZA games so what's that mean a year behind MG?

#2456 5 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

JPop is all over the place and needs focus and needs it soon.
Post edited by hank527

This is very true.

#2457 5 years ago

I think the games look great, not sure about the huge contraption in the middle of MG, I would fear the games will be overloaded with toys and gizmos and become somewhat trouble prone or cramped (not a wide body but packed with toys).

Also, I would be more than happy to buy any of his games based on the art and craftsmanship. But I'd prefer to do it after they are made.

Let's say I don't like the play or rules of WOF. What if the game he makes is WOF-like. Then I'm stuck with a gorgous game with superb craftmanship which I dont particularly care for.

This is the problem with buying a game just based on a concept.

I like TWD! But I need to play it or at least see how it plays before I buy.

I think, it would be better for John (more upside) if he could sell as many games as people can afford. I hate this limited BS and I hate pre-ordering. And I especially hate pre-ordering when the end game is in doubt or if the shipping date is 5-6 years after the money is collected.

#2458 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Also, I see no RAZA games so what's that mean a year behind MG?

Quoted from rai:

I think the games look great, not sure about the huge contraption in the middle of MG, I would fear the games will be overloaded with toys and gizmos and become somewhat trouble prone or cramped (not a wide body but packed with toys).

#2459 5 years ago

I don't get it. JPop never let's any of his interested fans or the general pinball world freely see what he is working on and then he brings in someone to shoot a video and it is accidentally released?

Is this JPops idea of a "rug reveal"?

QSS

#2460 5 years ago

It looks like the video is mainly focused on the artist; perhaps he set the release date and John didn't know?

#2461 5 years ago

Just in case you missed it, there's two videos. The first one is more about Jeremy (the artist), and the second is more about John.

#2462 5 years ago

Well surprised to see those 3 games in what looks like finished prototypes..
Obviously light show and artwork are stunning but also lots of other pf eye candy..
Check out the 3 level ramps and whatever toy in the middle.

He should really get these going and solidify production.. and of course, offer way more MG to be available to public.. too few being made..

#2463 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Yes, every JP game that's released is very pretty and has great artwork but most lack the software to make them keepers in my collection.

Totally agree. I had a CV and my brother had a TOTAN and neither were keepers in my view. I didn't care for the game play on either one.

#2464 5 years ago

Just found a photo of three nicely populated MG p/f's on the artist's instagram.

http://instagram.com/p/vumzcavsqO/?modal=true

#2465 5 years ago
Quoted from blimpey:

Just found a photo of three nicely populated MG p/f's on the artist's instagram.

Interesting..

In all the pics I've seen (which hasn't been many, not being a 'VIP'), the backbox has been extremely washed out in purple, making colors seems very limited. Also, there seems to be horizontal bright-spots (lines) in them. Is this by design? (The coloring, and the hot spots, almost seem like the backbox is lights by florescent bulbs.)

#2466 5 years ago
Quoted from blimpey:

image.jpg
#2467 5 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

there seems to be horizontal bright-spots (lines) in them. Is this by design? (The coloring, and the hot spots, almost seem like the backbox is lights by florescent bulbs.)

Those are rows of LED strips. It definitely needs some kind of diffuser.

#2468 5 years ago
Quoted from blimpey:

That's a nice shot of the older prototype ramps that aren't all wavy.

#2469 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

LED strips. I don't care for them. It definitely needs some kind of diffuser.

Ah, okay then!

#2470 5 years ago
Quoted from blimpey:

Dang!
image.jpg

#2471 5 years ago

Worried about the layout..how is that going to work on the upper playfield, that's magnetic like Twilight Zone ?

mg1.jpg
mg3.jpg

#2472 5 years ago

It's too bad he doesn't seem to have it together, because it looks like it would be a great game. Assuming the rules are good.

#2473 5 years ago

How are you going to see the DMD with that whole platform there? Is it clear now?

#2474 5 years ago

Good point how do u see the dmd

#2475 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Good point how do u see the dmd

It's Magic!

#2477 5 years ago

Adobe told them they wouldn't be releasing the video until March. So I guess they kind of ruined johns surprise a bit by releasing it yesterday. He meant to reveal to his buyers before this got out but adobe kind of spoiled the surprise i guess.

#2478 5 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

Adobe told them they wouldn't be releasing the video until March. So I guess they kind of ruined johns surprise a bit by releasing it yesterday. He meant to reveal to his buyers before this got out but adobe kind of spoiled the surprise i guess.

Oh DARN. =P

#2479 5 years ago

Lol. If that video would be his surprise for March then this pin is years away.

#2480 5 years ago

Of interest to RAZA owners;

I have been talking with JPop about Alice in Wonderland, so this is a direct quote out of an e-mail from him.

"we started Alice so I can keep the artists busy (as we are almost complete RAZA and MG has a few
small tweaks)"

Some people didn't like that a 3rd game had work happening on it when RAZA and MG were still not complete. Seems like for the most part *only* the artists have been diverted to the AIW project, and RAZA art is complete.

Magic Girl - He says he will be showing it publicly soon.
There is apparently a lot of symbolism and hidden meaning in Magic Girl artwork, and he intends for AIW to have the same depth.

AIW deposits are $3895 and total price is x4 = ~$16k

I am not sending money for it until I see games shipped and people happily talking about how good they are - so I am not an official AIW pre-owner.

Thought I would report back what I know for the rest of you. I will jump on AIW as soon as MG and/or RAZA are proven successes.

#2481 5 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

AIW deposits are $3895 and total price is x4 = ~$16k

Say what? I had sent in an original deposit of $1895 in large measure just to support Jpop knowing that AIW would be a LONG ways away.

This is the first I've heard of this price tag.

#2482 5 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

How are you going to see the DMD with that whole platform there?

That camera angle is poor. Its aimed low and look how far back from the players position the photographer is. I just looked at my Cirqus Voltaire with a similar set up and believe it will work.

Here's an embarrassing example of what I mean. Pictured is Bowen Kerins on the right and me (showing Karate moves I guess). Also pictured is Todd MacCulloch. I'm 5' 10" and I'll guess Bowen about the same or maybe an inch taller. Todd is an even 7 foot making him 1.2 feet taller. Pictured here it makes Bowen and I look like were 3 foot tall munchkins.

Its the camera angle combined with height difference. Todd is closest and I'm furthest away from the photographer.

I hope my explanation works with you guys. My Facebook friends haven't stopped giggling since last October.

Expo 315.JPG

#2483 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Say what? I had sent in an original deposit of $1895 in large measure just to support Jpop knowing that AIW would be a LONG ways away.

This is the first I've heard of this price tag

Yeah, I know. I had seen an earlier post from you saying you put 1895 as your deposit.

The brochure didn't mention the total price, but asks for a $3895 deposit. So I asked him directly and he said it's broken into 4 payments. So unless there's some wacky payment scheme, I assume that means 4 payments of $3895 (ish). Might be time for you to give him a call and please correct me if he says otherwise. I'm going off assumptions here.

#2484 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

This is the first I've heard of this price tag.

Ditto... >=|

Minus having sent a deposit, but we did get an info pack with the seal thingy from him. I'm still not sure I'd sell two great games for it, but if his crap ever coalesces from dookie into diamonds, I might want to get in on AIW..

#2485 5 years ago

That price is WAAAAY more than I was told. Wow...

edit: CONFIRMED. Maybe the price increase is to make up money lost on another game?

Screen Shot 2014-12-20 at 1.50.21 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-12-20 at 1.50.46 PM.png

#2486 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

edit: CONFIRMED

See, I have a similar page with my brochure but the price has been removed.

Also yours is called Original 10/6 "Mad Hatter Model" Velvet edition

Mine is referred to as Mad Hatter Edition 1/133 in the top left corner. On another page it is referred to as "The Mad Hatter 10/6 edition"

I don't know if you guys got in early enough that there are 2 seperate editions and you got a price break.

But I can directly quote him from an e-mail saying "We do not make an LE, but make just 1 model and load it up as best I can with art, features, ideas, mods, etc. So no "bait and switch" or upsell." So like I say, one of you with a deposit down should probably get it straight from the horse's mouth how much these machines are going to cost you.

#2487 5 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

See, I have a similar page with my brochure but the price has been removed.
Also yours is called Original 10/6 "Mad Hatter Model" Velvet edition
Mine is referred to as Mad Hatter Edition 1/133 in the top left corner. On another page it is referred to as "The Mad Hatter 10/6 edition"
I don't know if you guys got in early enough that there are 2 seperate editions and you got a price break.
But I can directly quote him from an e-mail saying "We do not make an LE, but make just 1 model and load it up as best I can with art, features, ideas, mods, etc. So no "bait and switch" or upsell." So like I say, one of you with a deposit down should probably get it straight from the horse's mouth how much these machines are going to cost you.

I totally believe you, not trying to call you out or anything like that.

I think there may be some communication error (SHOCKING!) on Johns part and he sent some flyers before some things were final.

#2488 5 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

"we started Alice so I can keep the artists busy (as we are almost complete RAZA and MG has a few
small tweaks)"

Are the artists full-time employees? I assumed they were contractors and therefore don't need to be kept busy.

#2489 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

edit: CONFIRMED. Maybe the price increase is to make up money lost on another game?

Screen Shot 2014-12-20 at 1.50.4... 1.9 MB

Screen Shot 2014-12-20 at 1.50.2... 1.7 MB

Yes, the AIW price was the same as RAZA I believe. $9865.33. What a deal!!!

#2490 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Yes, the AIW price was the same as RAZA I believe. $9865.33. What a deal!!!

Quoted from ChrisVW:

#2491 5 years ago

I doubt very much there is a market for 133 $16k machines (especially pre-ordered). Let alone all the issues going on with the lack of answers for games 1 and 2.

#2492 5 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Are the artists full-time employees? I assumed they were contractors and therefore don't need to be kept busy

He wanted to keep the same artists for AIW, they are basically irreplaceable. Who knows if he could get them back if they didn't keep working for him. Whether they are on salary or contract is irrelevant, he didn't want them moving on to different things.

#2493 5 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

That's a nice shot of the older prototype ramps that aren't all wavy.

With long ramp runs you have add the ramp "waves" to slow the velocity of the ball. Without the waves
the ball will blow out the end of the ramp even with some added rubber bumper.

#2494 5 years ago
Quoted from minnesota13:

With long ramp runs you have add the ramp "waves" to slow the velocity of the ball. Without the waves
the ball will blow out the end of the ramp even with some added rubber bumper.

I'm not suggesting the straight ones are better, just that the last time I was at the shop, that was the design.

#2495 5 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Are the artists full-time employees? I assumed they were contractors and therefore don't need to be kept busy.

Maybe if he doesn't keep them busy they will move on to other projects and become unavailable.

#2496 5 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

He wanted to keep the same artists for AIW, they are basically irreplaceable. Who knows if he could get them back if they didn't keep working for him. Whether they are on salary or contract is irrelevant, he didn't want them moving on to different things.

Missed this post the first time, so point was made.

#2497 5 years ago

It's still just a two flipper game? Why do new companies limit themselves to just two flippers...

#2499 5 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

It's still just a two flipper game? Why do new companies limit themselves to just two flippers...

It has magna flippers ala TZ too...at least two on MG, one on RAZA I think. 3 real flippers on AIW. *Real in design...not that it will be made ever.

#2500 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

No new info on mg yet?

It says alchemy is unlocked but the link doesn't work. Does yours?

Also, 2500!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 50 of 487.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside