(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,302 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 166 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,696 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sucks (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

21 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24302 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 487.
#201 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

From the rumors I heard, he wanted to increase the numbers to 40 magic girls, then the latest one I heard at Allentown was keeping magic girl at 21-22 games and doing a strip down version run. Should be a beautiful game when done. Regardless of future support, the amount of time and quality he's doing should hold up well. U won't have rgb issues like woz, he's using regular 555 and 44 led bulbs.

WOZ had issues beyond the LEDs though. If he is making only 20 games how many replacement parts will he do? Are owners being given the opportunity to order extra plastics or other items?

#202 5 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

WOZ had issues beyond the LEDs though. If he is making only 20 games how many replacement parts will he do? Are owners being given the opportunity to order extra plastics or other items?

I'm not sure, but with the time he's spending and the attention to details I'm sure he has those plans as well.

#203 5 years ago

He's basically saying that if you need a part he can have the part made from a cad drawing, it might cost you but you can get the part. Now as far as common break items like plastics and ramps etc, I hope he makes and offers owners spare sets at a good price. Hopefully whatever PCB's he designs will be used on his other games too so there should be some spares and or support available for those. I would think things like cabinet decals and backglasses can be re-printed from a file if necessary, I'm sure he has the means to do that, same with spare playfields. This fear of spare parts supply can apply to any low run or boutique type game, something buyers need to think about.

#204 5 years ago
Quoted from cyber:

There are rumors that it's going to be more than 21 games.

How about just 1, to start?

#205 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

How about just 1, to start?

But also with all 21 one it's going to be hard to ever see one of these.

#206 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Heard there will be a scaled down version of magic girl to offset cost over runs.

According to Jpop, there will be no such thing. He is building one machine for Magic girl and that's it. Numbers, not sure have heard many different quantities, however what ever it will end up being it will be very exclusive.

#207 5 years ago

There were originally 13 and for some reason went from 13 to 20, that's all I ever heard. I did hear a rumor though that the game is going to kill but I hope John stays healthy and I live long enough to see it......

#208 5 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I don't think the concern is so much working on the game but having parts available for when things fail, and they do fail, in the future. Imagine the issues WOZ had on a small run like RAZA or Magic Girl, the cost to rerun all those boards one, two, three times? I don't see how Jpop is going to support his games like that.

I worry a little also. I'm in on RAZA and I'm pretty sure that JPoP has said several times in the RAZA blog that he's building a pinball company, not just knocking out a few titles. While that's comforting, of course the big unknown is his corporate structure if something happened to him.

#209 5 years ago

There's another pic I found on the web:

mg_2.jpg
#211 5 years ago

If RAZA's LED placement is any indication, this isn't MG.

#212 5 years ago
Quoted from taz:

If RAZA's LED placement is any indication, this isn't MG.

they could be different. I mean the LCD with different location or size. That certainly looks like Jpop's studio.

#213 5 years ago
Quoted from cyber:

But also with all 21 one it's going to be hard to ever see one of these.

There's going to be 2 or 3 in mass if he sticks to his original total of 22

#214 5 years ago

If I were still in on RAZA, at this point I would be asking for some very specific answers with regard to a timeline/estimate as to when the pin will be done and ready to ship.

Given that the original estimate for completion was the end of 4th quarter last year, I would think a fairly definitive answer to this question could (or at least *should*) be given by now since we are in the 3rd quarter of the following year.

#215 5 years ago

I wish RAZA was completed but the weekly updates are holding me up pretty well.
Which I prefer to him pulling a finished date out his ass and missing it again and again and again (Jack).
Plus the payment schedule based on his progress rather than on timeline helps a ton too.
The work looks amazing and I really don't mind waiting for something amazing.

#216 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

If I were still in on RAZA, at this point I would be asking for some very specific answers with regard to a timeline/estimate as to when the pin will be done and ready to ship.

Every leaked photo I see is still playfields full of foamcore. I really hope there's something more finished that just is private. Because think how long Predator has been in a "final" state with real plastics etc, and still not shipping.

#217 5 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Which I prefer to him pulling a finished date out his ass and missing it again and again and again

I understand what you are saying, but this far into the project he should be able to give an estimate without it being pulled "out of his ass".

#218 5 years ago

It's a struggle for most of us to be sure. I don't have room for the game yet, so that provides me a little extra patience. We're seeing pretty cool stuff on art, design, concept, etc., through his exclusive forum and that helps. I think we're probably another year out on MG and RAZA, but after Zidware's game system is set future games should emerge sooner. I'm also in on TBL. Both have me psyched, so it's a dead heat to see which one rocks the most. A lot of games are emerging over the next year, but none excite me as much as RAZA and TBL, so I can wait longer if necessary. However, I understand if others can't, given so many alternatives.

#219 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

That doesn't work, I've tried to ask as we roll into year 4. Now I have a fancy red "User cannot create comments" error.

#220 5 years ago

Hope this helps
I get the same message on my phone
But I can comment using my computer

#221 5 years ago

scary 4 years!!! and not one game shipped or shown completed and working

i guess he can get away with that longer since theres a block from public pitch forks drumming up the real buyers egos

#222 5 years ago

I found another photo on the web but the search is getting harder and harder.
Unfortunately no one is leaking anything.

MG0000001.JPG MG0000002.jpg
#223 5 years ago

maybe there is not too much to leak?

#224 5 years ago

The paper objects look like they could be scoops, ball feeds in trough hole in side slopes down and then kicked straight up and out!?

#225 5 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

maybe there is not too much to leak?

On the RAZA blog there's quite a bit to leak actually, but I think most people are respecting the NDA.

Seriously though, is there no one on the RAZA waiting list? I'm trying to get a refund but it's pending a replacement buyer.

#226 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

Seriously though, is there no one on the RAZA waiting list? I'm trying to get a refund but it's pending a replacement buyer.

Umm.. are you implying that he can't afford to give you a refund until someone else shows up to pay you or is this a policy thing? The first would make me question a few things if I was in on this.

#228 5 years ago

On the RAZA blog there's quite a bit to leak actually, but I think most people are respecting the NDA.

#229 5 years ago

Yeeeesh.....hello.....cashflow?

#230 5 years ago

Sounds like it might be time to announce the preorder openings for game 4.

#231 5 years ago

I might get it if MG was out and I saw the design elements for RAZA...get a machine out there JPOP!

#232 5 years ago

As much as I would love a AIW with hand drawn art I cant see myself buying from this guy. There is no way to contact him. He hasn't returned a email to me ever and no phone # I can find is ever answered. No way in hell would I just send him money on something I cant see. Yes I did it for JJP but AIW is this guys supposed 3rd pin and we have seen nothing on the first one. Jeesh, and if I like my Dr I can keep him.

#233 5 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

As much as I would love a AIW with hand drawn art I cant see myself buying from this guy. There is no way to contact him. He hasn't returned a email to me ever and no phone # I can find is ever answered. No way in hell would I just send him money on something I cant see. Yes I did it for JJP but AIW is this guys supposed 3rd pin and we have seen nothing on the first one. Jeesh, and if I like my Dr I can keep him.

Strange! the last time I needed to talk to John I called him and he answered on the 2nd ring... JPOP is a great guy! I've been in on RAZA for 1.5 years and im not worried at all.
Lots of good updates on the owners forum lately!

#234 5 years ago

Give me the # you used then because he has never answered an # I have found. Maybe he just knows Im an asshole and doesn't want to speak with me. I spent my money on THLE now though.

#235 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I might get it if MG was out and I saw the design elements for RAZA...get a machine out there JPOP!

The MG reveal is supposed to be coming very soon. There should be 60 or so of those.

RAZA is coming along nicely, working on finishing the wiring harnesses amongst many other things.

Yes it will be a while but worth the wait for me! I have plenty of other pins to play in the meantime. Not a big deal.

#236 5 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Give me the # you used then because he has never answered an # I have found. Maybe he just knows Im an asshole and doesn't want to speak with me. I spent my money on THLE now though.

It must be just you James!

Btw, you will have plenty of time to wait on AIW and still get in. At least until he reveals MG and everybody blows a nut on how awesome it is

#237 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The MG reveal is supposed to be coming very soon.

For the public to see?

#238 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It must be just you James!
Btw, you will have plenty of time to wait on AIW and still get in. At least until he reveals MG and everybody blows a nut on how awesome it is

When I come visit you around thanksgiving I want to see some of these pics of the progress on Magic Girl.

#239 5 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Umm.. are you implying that he can't afford to give you a refund until someone else shows up to pay you or is this a policy thing? The first would make me question a few things if I was in on this.

No, this is 100% a policy thing. If you all saw what's going on behind closed doors, you'd be very much impressed. The ONLY reason I'm forced to back out is that I'll be without a job come Dec 1st, so buying a $10k pin isn't in the cards for me anymore.

My loss is someone else' game -- and no, I will not be profiting from this. Homie don't play dat.

homey-dont-play-that.gif
#240 5 years ago

Wow, 21 people put $17k three years ago and he just increased it to 60 games!!!!
That sucks, still will be unobtainum but sucks for the initial 21

#241 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Wow, 21 people put $17k three years ago and he just increased it to 60 games!!!!

WAAAAH! Poor them! WAAAAH!

#242 5 years ago

Yes I agree, cry me a river. Like that's gonna do anything to the value!!!! If it's a hit, and less than one third that of BBB your talking in the neighborhood of about 66k ?? isn't that how it works

#243 5 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Yes I agree, cry me a river. Like that's gonna do anything to the value!!!! If it's a hit, and less than one third that of BBB your talking in the neighborhood of about 66k ?? isn't that how it works

Haha, yep, you got it WC, at least 50k!

Well, I think the reality hit for John that you can't possibly make 17 or 21 pinball machines and not go broke no matter how much you charge for them. Need quantity discounts along with covering all the fixed overhead, which is exponentially less than Stern and JJP.

Jpop is like an early Steve Jobs of pinball! A freaking perfectionist, but the end result will be phenomenal.

As for cash flow for business, what startup doesn't need it?

Like i said, the big reveal is "coming very soon" and for Jpop, he needs to get it out there to drive sales and enthusiasm of his brand and AIW.

You saw his KISS artwork. What we've seen so far is like a piece of art. F it, I might just set it up and do nothing but turn the lights on and look at the damn thing!

#244 5 years ago

No, this is 100% a policy thing. If you all saw what's going on behind closed doors, you'd be very much impressed. The ONLY reason I'm forced to back out is that I'll be without a job come Dec 1st, so buying a $10k pin isn't in the cards for me anymore.
My loss is someone else' game -- and no, I will not be profiting from this. Homie don't play dat.

Sorry to hear that man.

#245 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Haha, yep, you got it WC, at least 50k!
Well, I think the reality hit for John that you can't possibly make 17 or 21 pinball machines and not go broke no matter how much you charge for them. Need quantity discounts along with covering all the fixed overhead, which is exponentially less than Stern and JJP.
Jpop is like an early Steve Jobs of pinball! A freaking perfectionist, but the end result will be phenomenal.
As for cash flow for business, what startup doesn't need it?
Like i said, the big reveal is "coming very soon" and for Jpop, he needs to get it out there to drive sales and enthusiasm of his brand and AIW.
You saw his KISS artwork. What we've seen so far is like a piece of art. F it, I might just set it up and do nothing but turn the lights on and look at the damn thing!

Would make more sense for jpop to get a loan, keep extra 39 games and sell them for 50k each if that's the case

#246 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Breaks down to him spending 300% of budget really. Expected to take 1.5 years and require x whitewoods. It will end up taking 4.5 years and 3 (???) x whitewoods. You don't want our man thrown out on the street do ya? This approach will probably factor into his decision of how many RAZA's to make when that time arrives.

#247 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Breaks down to him spending 300% of budget really. Expected to take 1.5 years and require x whitewoods. It will end up taking 4.5 years and 3 (???) x whitewoods. You don't want our man thrown out on the street do ya? This approach will probably factor into his decision of how many RAZA's to make when that time arrives.

Certainly could be, but based on what I think, the 124 on RAZA can get it done, if not, go to 250.

Vulture capitalists, well you know the general story. I'm sure Jack found that out quickly.

#248 5 years ago

I know this is a big waiting game, but I also know that John is a perfectionist and keeps tweaking things that the average person would think is already awesome. On the bright side, I also think (not sure) that the code should be upgradeable easily, so refinements can be made after shipping.) Otherwise, it might *never* ship! )

#249 5 years ago

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_is_the_enemy_of_good

Someone who is running a business, needs to understand this lest.. well.. runs out of money

#250 5 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

I know this is a big waiting game, but I also know that John is a perfectionist and keeps tweaking things that the average person would think is already awesome. On the bright side, I also think (not sure) that the code should be upgradeable easily, so refinements can be made after shipping.) Otherwise, it might *never* ship! )

Holy moly, 10 years later you finally get the game and the code's not done!?!? LOL

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kettering, OH
6,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
There are 24302 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 487.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside