(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,544 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 49 of 491.
#2401 9 years ago

That's for the big reveal, Adobe!

Stuff definitely looks cool and you can see the passion there...if this type of thing wasn't hidden over the years, buyers and non-buyers alike probably would chill out a bit.

Still don't see the economics working in favor of them getting built....but at least it's a pretty carrot to dangle!

#2402 9 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Teach a yourself to fish, or expect to be fed for the rest of your life?

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

#2403 9 years ago
Quoted from Linolium:

I'd buy some translates and playfield prints.

Not gonna happen. I begged and begged for John to order an extra playfield for me when they were printed. He was afraid of people buying playfields and making extra MG games.

I just wanted a playfield to hang on my wall and use as a spare if something ever happened.

#2404 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Kaneda please get the hell out of this thread! Everyone else please ignore him.

Wish granted. Least I can do. He's been added to the list....especially after I got to the "who you bang defines your life" part.

#2405 9 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

He was afraid of people buying playfields and making extra MG games.

Seriously? News flash Jpop, if someone honestly wanted to go through the ENORMOUS trouble of trying to copy your game, starting with nothing but a playfield, then stripping their game and scanning it to make more would be the least of their worries.

FFS.

You know who's sold playfield and translites way ahead of their game being built? Nordman and Freres. Was brilliant selling Woah Nellie stuff to build interest and support. One person at least did build their own too. They thought that was awesome.

Whatever, the idea of making a pinball for only 17 people or whatever is actually slightly offensive to me, so I can't say I'm gonna spend any time worry about his marketing failures and ridiculously ill founded paranoia.

#2406 9 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

Not gonna happen. I begged and begged for John to order an extra playfield for me when they were printed. He was afraid of people buying playfields and making unlicensed MG's.

That's pure "crazy" on his part. I doubt he sticks with that idea!

So I've seen all that and more obviously with RAZA but that is the most I've seen of MG (heard a lot).

I can turn my focus on Alien now for the short term.

Ok ladies, if it wasn't for pinball, wtf would we bitch and moan about.

#2407 9 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I think you should let the cult decide for themselves.

More like battered spouse.

#2408 9 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Yeah, we need a big man like you to rescue us, thanks Albert Scheweitzer.

#2410 9 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

What a F ing dope! Get lost.

#2411 9 years ago

call it abused spouse or cult or whatever syndrome you like....... but I am feeling a lil bit better after hearing Some good news on this

#2413 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Cabinet pics are opened

are you referring to the mg reveal?

#2416 9 years ago

Some more stills from the adobe video

Untitled-10.jpgUntitled-10.jpg
Untitled-8.jpgUntitled-8.jpg
Untitled-5.jpgUntitled-5.jpg
Untitled-7.jpgUntitled-7.jpg
Untitled-6.jpgUntitled-6.jpg
Untitled-11.jpgUntitled-11.jpg
Untitled-4.jpgUntitled-4.jpg

#2417 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Alchemy link unlocked but link not working yet

How does the reveal compare against the adobe video?

#2418 9 years ago

Ah that last screen cap was the one I meant where the ramps were in plastic.

#2419 9 years ago

My number one question from this video is why is Jpop wearing double t shirts?

#2420 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Ah that last screen cap was the one I meant where the ramps were in plastic.

Gotta admit, that is some amazing shit! That F ing Yeti dude is awesome.

Why he doesn't show more is beyond me. If he ever gets beyond turtle pace and production starts rolling off some line, then he gets a reset and people will be lining up.

Big leap, but hey, from an artistic standpoint, you have to be jealous Aurich.

#2421 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Big leap, but hey, from an artistic standpoint, you have to be jealous Aurich.

Oh no doubt. I'm jealous of pretty much nothing else, the headache and the cost and all that good stuff. But it's so great to see pinball where the art matters and isn't just a necessary box to check off to get it down the line and approved by the licensor.

Of course they have to be made still, and as I said earlier, I really don't dig this limited thing. Why bother with all that work for 17 (or however many) people? Seems a shame. And dumb frankly.

#2422 9 years ago

so much for pinball for the masses

#2423 9 years ago
Quoted from LapsedGamer:

why is Jpop wearing double t shirts?

They might have been filming when he first got to his studio, which he probably doesn't heat when he's not there.

#2424 9 years ago

If there was a guarantee that you'd either get the pin, or your money back, even without a deadline, I'll bet there would be a lot more potential buyers.

#2425 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Of course they have to be made still, and as I said earlier, I really don't dig this limited thing. Why bother with all that work for 17 (or however many) people? Seems a shame. And dumb frankly.

Really dumb on his part, but there will be more despite what the early adopters of MG think or want.

Is it right based on how it was sold? No. But it is what it is and that is some major pinball magic!

You do see 3 prototypes aligned in a row right? MG will get done and produced, so will RAZA, the only question is when, because it won't be the $$$.

#2426 9 years ago

will be nice games, but I can't believe RAZA will be shipping for a long time. Lets pretend middle of 2016 (which is about 18 months from now), that would represent 3 years late. And I can't even begin to think it will be middle of 2016.

I'm still surprised that Predator and MMR are not shipping, can you just imagine how long RAZA will take to go gold and then the production will take quite a while (I would bet).

#2427 9 years ago

The art package looks very nice but the owners were told those 3 MG prototypes would be ready 1 year and 10 months ago and they still aren't complete. That is nearly 2 years lost on progress, was that because of waiting for patents? Any clue to how much longer until the prototypes are fully completed?

#2428 9 years ago

Did anyone check out those back box hinges in the third picture. Jeeze those are some sweet ass hinges.

QSS

#2429 9 years ago
Quoted from theBRAIN:

The art package looks very nice but the owners were told those 3 MG prototypes would be ready 1 year and 10 months ago and they still aren't complete. That is nearly 2 years lost on progress, was that because of waiting for patents? Any clue to how much longer until the prototypes are fully completed?

Yeah it's a little scary seeing that quote from 22 months ago saying these same prototypes would be done in a month. It was nice seeing something today, but we're still dealing with the same issues.

#2430 9 years ago

If a month in John's world is 22 months in real life, oh shit.

#2431 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Yeah it's a little scary seeing that quote from 22 months ago saying these same prototypes would be done in a month. It was nice seeing something today, but we're still dealing with the same issues.

Remember that every time someone visits his shop they come out with stars in their eyes and a forgiving nature. And then a year goes by ...

So just saying, the video was awesome, but don't get too comfortable all of a sudden.

#2432 9 years ago

Before trashing John's operation any further, I think everyone should turn their attention to the following photo.

Just in front of John's face is a Kiss machine, looking well into the late stages of design and development, but even better in the far right are 3 fully assembled Magic Girl machines which you can clearly make out have either wireform or clear plastic ramps. These look like finished prototypes where he/they are no doubt working on the game code. Interesting that the display is in the playfield just like Circus Voltaire.

I suspect things are much further along than what people are currently thinking. John is an artist, and no artist likes to show "work in progress". I bet he only wants to do the full reveal of the finished product.

334729-i.jpg334729-i.jpg
#2433 9 years ago

Really? We all have known for a while about the screen placement. And folks said they saw those three prototypes over a year ago almost ready to go out the door...

#2434 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Remember that every time someone visits his shop they come out with stars in their eyes and a forgiving nature. And then a year goes by ...
So just saying, the video was awesome, but don't get too comfortable all of a sudden.

That doesn't mean either that it goes on for years into the future.

There is no getting "comfortable" but life goes on and at some point in his life he will have to get it done.

When that happens, IF it happens, it will be what I want. That simple.

#2435 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Really? We all have known for a while about the screen placement. And folks said they saw those three prototypes over a year ago almost ready to go out the door...

What's your point Big Papi? Are you taking a train to Chicago now?

#2436 9 years ago

Lol, just saying plenty of Magic there. Art is sick. But guys getting excited about what's been there forever makes no sense either.

#2437 9 years ago

I wish John would get some sort of business manager.

#2438 9 years ago

Until John has a production manager he HAS to listen to and a production house that is willing to take on the actual manufacturing of his product, there will be on Zidware/Jpop games. I wish John and his pre-order/investors good luck, everyone is going to need plenty.

#2439 9 years ago
Quoted from PeteB:

Before trashing John's operation any further, I think everyone should turn their attention to the following photo.
Just in front of John's face is a Kiss machine, looking well into the late stages of design and development, but even better in the far right are 3 fully assembled Magic Girl machines which you can clearly make out have either wireform or clear plastic ramps. These look like finished prototypes where he/they are no doubt working on the game code. Interesting that the display is in the playfield just like Circus Voltaire.

That kiss game is entirely made of foam core board. Always has been. It's nothing different than what was shown at MGC. He just doesn't get rid of things. The three MGs on the right are prototypes, but not likely complete, and they look to have the older straight ramps on them.

#2440 9 years ago

Thanks for posting the video. That guys art looks mean ass alright! I wish I could draw like that.

But I sure echo the sentiments of some of the buyers here ... Why do you need to see that on an Adobe video? You should already have seen all that stuff.

Sure seems like a weird-ass way to run a business.

rd.

#2441 9 years ago
Quoted from PeteB:

I see assembled games... but I have no fantasy that an assembled game is one that is anywhere near complete. Obviously from his studio he loves to work on the art and visuals... but for nearly 70 years pinballs have been designed.. and then art laid over them. jpop seems to be going in the reverse direction. Focusing more on the visuals than the gameplay... which makes me wonder if the core of the game is getting the necessary attention.

#2442 9 years ago

I'm surprised everyone is talking about how great the game looks. I don't think there was ever any doubt the games would look awesome (that's what he does), its the getting built part that is still in question.

#2443 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Thanks for posting the video

what video, sorry if I missed it?

#2444 9 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

I'm surprised everyone is talking about how great the game looks. I don't think there was ever any doubt the games would look awesome (that's what he does), its the getting built part that is still in question.

And IF they get built how do we know that the gameplay/rules will be any good? I have no idea who is writing the rules for the game. This game could make TOTAN seem "Deep" in comparison. It also looks like it has a lot of those spinny targets (like the lamp in TOTAN) that aren't particularly a lot of fun to hit. Yes, every JP game that's released is very pretty and has great artwork but most lack the software to make them keepers in my collection.

Even if MG is close to being complete, how many more years will it be before all the parts are acquired, the wiring harnesses assembled and the employees hired to actually build them. Also, is he going to get UL testing which could add even more delays? We've seen how long it takes for even games like MMR and Predator which have been "complete" for quite a while now to actually gear up for the production line. If more than a handful of people get their machines in 2015 (or even 2016) I would be shocked!

#2445 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

And IF they get built how do we know that the gameplay/rules will be any good? I have no idea who is writing the rules for the game. This game could make TOTAN seem "Deep" in comparison. It also looks like it has a lot of those spinny targets (like the lamp in TOTAN) that aren't particularly a lot of fun to hit. Yes, every JP game that's released is very pretty and has great artwork but most lack the software to make them keepers in my collection.
Even if MG is close to being complete, how many more years will it be before all the parts are acquired, the wiring harnesses assembled and the employees hired to actually build them. Also, is he going to get UL testing which could add even more delays? We've seen how long it takes for even games like MMR and Predator which have been "complete" for quite a while now to actually gear up for the production line. If more than a handful of people get their machines in 2015 (or even 2016) I would be shocked!

Well I do have some good news on a few of these points. There's no guarantees on the software but I have seen some stills from the display that have some features that make me think it will be deep. Maybe not at first but eventually. I had heard the software may be open source. If that's the case rules are no longer an issue for me. I can finish it myself if I have to. Just give me the game and the art.

UL testing is optional.

I told john when the rest of the parts, or enough of the parts, arrive I and a friend will fly out there and donate a week of my time to free labor to get these things out the door. I work fast and should be able to make at least a dent. If John moves quickly I think these could ship by the end of 2015 it's just a guess. I don't really have any better info than anyone else who's seen the Adobe video.

#2447 9 years ago

OH MY GOD...
i love you JPOP

#2448 9 years ago

Admit it ,we keep looking at the pics though because they are stunning : )

#2449 9 years ago

Someone on his blog said that video wasn't expected to be out yet. Adobe jumped the gun. So that explains why it exists and why John gave them such access.

The bummer is that video did more to hype up his games than anything we've seen, and that we're likely to see for some time since the MG reveal is private. I'm guessing until the first customer has a production machine and shoots an unboxing video, this is all we're going to see.

#2450 9 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I see assembled games... but I have no fantasy that an assembled game is one that is anywhere near complete. Obviously from his studio he loves to work on the art and visuals... but for nearly 70 years pinballs have been designed.. and then art laid over them. jpop seems to be going in the reverse direction. Focusing more on the visuals than the gameplay... which makes me wonder if the core of the game is getting the necessary attention.

JPop is all over the place and needs focus and needs it soon.

Post edited by hank527

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 49 of 491.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6mg-raza-and-aiw%E2%80%A6/page/49 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.