(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,544 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 48 of 491.
#2351 9 years ago

I didn't see this mentioned. Since this image is public I'm not breaking any NDAs

360.JPG360.JPG
#2352 9 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

I didn't see this mentioned. Since this image is public I'm not breaking any NDAs

That's the oldest full model of the RAZA playfield that exists. I would expect a LOT of that has changed.

#2353 9 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

Is he using materials that aren't RoHS compliant?

I can't answer that question completely. All I can say is that there were (at one time) a number of OTS "off the shelf" parts that were being used that were not RoHS compliant. It is likely that Zidware doesn't even know which parts those are and may not even be aware of how extensive of a problem that could really be for them.

Someone pointed out earlier in this thread that they saw WMS return lane guides being used. Keep in mind that parts like these, sold as "replacement" parts, are exempt from RoHS as long as they go into a machine manufactured before RoHS went into effect (which all WMS games were). They do not get exempted from any new machines being made that might use them.

Another issue is that in order to be truly compliant with RoHS, you have to have documentation from every part supplier certifying that each and every part used is in compliance (and the suppliers have to keep records of compliance as well) and everything has to be kept on record at all times in the event that an importing country/agent asks for it.

What the possibility is of this happening, I couldn't tell you.

#2354 9 years ago

That loop da loop looks like it could be a ton of fun -- not unlike the pinball magic skill shot which I love. Looks like he also has a few TOTAN genie lamp spinners in there. I'd love to buy one of these when they come out as JPOP is hands down my favorite designer. With that being said, I'd rather pay up for one once they are out. Good luck to those who are in -- I hope that you are somewhat reassured by what you've seen today.

#2355 9 years ago
Quoted from S37VEN:

That loop da loop looks like it could be a ton of fun -- not unlike the Pinball Magic skill shot which I love. Looks like he also has a few TOTAN genie lamp spinners in there. I'd love to buy one of these when they come out as JPOP is hands down my favorite designer. With that being said, I'd rather pay up for one once they are out. Good luck to those who are in -- I hope that you are somewhat reassured by what you've seen today.

IF these come out you will indeed "pay up" for one of these.

#2356 9 years ago

Sorry I may have missed this elsewhere but what does RoHS stand for/mean?

#2358 9 years ago

Easier to google than to make someone type it out. Its a standard.

Edit..or that : )

#2359 9 years ago
Quoted from S37VEN:

Rodents of hUnusual Size.

#2360 9 years ago
Quoted from S37VEN:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=rohs

#2361 9 years ago

This is what I expected to see. It's why we got in in the first place. Just needs to get moving and finish.

#2362 9 years ago

It looks good at first glance but then you realize that none of the ramps are finished, etc.

#2363 9 years ago

Me likey. I still would not put my money down as the guy will not even answer a fucking email. Im supposed to just plop down money through paypall to someone I cant talk to to find out some sort of details. That pin looks awesome as hell but Im to impatient to just throw it down and wait indefinitely or never get it.

#2365 9 years ago

This is what the big MG "lebowski" reveal was supposed to be (at least the way WE thought it was supposed to go), just show game, show video, let the world see it and go nuts.

#2366 9 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

So, not a domestic issue at all.

Not at this time, no.

#2367 9 years ago

I do love his art....geez he does some amazing stuff, no wonder why people give him so much leeway.

#2368 9 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

It looks good at first glance but then you realize that none of the ramps are finished, etc.

That paper stuff is very early models. John doesn't seem to throw anything away. There are ramps, and flipping playfields, I do believe.

#2369 9 years ago
Quoted from islandpinball:

I do love his art....geez he does some amazing stuff, no wonder why people give him so much leeway.

yeah, we're clinging to that hope he can get it done.

Although my 30 minute buzz from that video has ended and I'm back to the hard questions of getting the game completed, produced and whether the software and rules will be up to 2015 standards in pinball.

#2370 9 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

That paper stuff is very early models. John doesn't seem to throw anything away. There are ramps, and flipping playfields, I do believe.

But *finished* ones? All you see are paper ramps. The implication is that he hasn't made any progress on MG in over a year based on photos from back then.

#2371 9 years ago
Quoted from islandpinball:

That art just needs to become large wall posters. Would sell a ton!

#2372 9 years ago
Quoted from S37VEN:

It means bullshit scam so we can charge you money and erect barriers to market entry for our competition. It's like UL.. totally unnecessary (depending on your sales and distribution).

#2373 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

That art just needs to become large wall posters. Would sell a ton!

I'd buy some translates and playfield prints.

#2374 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

yeah, we're clinging to that hope he can get it done.
Although my 30 minute buzz from that video has ended and I'm back to the hard questions of getting the game completed, produced and whether the software and rules will be up to 2015 standards in pinball.

Software is the least concern, imo. It is a simple matter to update software these days, once a platform is in place. Which means, unlike 'fixed' aspects (artwork, toys, mechanisms), user input can be implemented at any time after release to tweak things.

#2375 9 years ago
Quoted from Linolium:

I'd buy some translates and playfield prints.

That'd be a good way to generate some income for the shop. I don't get why he doesn't sell PF art, translites, shirts, and whatever else he can. Income is income.

#2376 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

That'd be a good way to generate some income for the shop. I don't get why he doesn't sell PF art, translites, shirts, and whatever else he can. Income is income.

No kidding. Then all the people who are bitter about not being able to afford the games (lol) can still have a piece of the dream.

Quoted from jwilson:

But *finished* ones? All you see are paper ramps. The implication is that he hasn't made any progress on MG in over a year based on photos from back then.

Actually, there's a brief shot where those super curvy (and probably really annoying slow) ramps that you see in paper look rendered properly in plastic.

Quoted from StevenP:

Software is the least concern, imo. It is a simple matter to update software these days, once a platform is in place.

Yeah, and that's working so well for Stern. I'd be cautious about thinking software can just be fixed later. If the games ship badly unfinished does anyone feel confident "old" games will get more attention over new shiny things?

#2377 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Even though the theme is unlicensed, I doubt these artists are working under him as a company.

What's likely happening is he is paying the artist to design per machine. He probably does not have unlimited freedom to use the same artwork over and over and on anything he wants forever (billboards, t-shirts, etc.).

Although I have very limited experience in creative career roles, so it may be different in this environment, but any time I sold footage to a skate company it was for single use in a single video.

And any time I have an artist illustrate something for me I will pay per each use, even if it's the same drawing.

#2378 9 years ago

Thanks for the snarky "go google it" responses. I often find that these types of responses come from people who don't know the answer and were the mouth breathers in high school that laughed at others for raising their hands in class to ask a question.

There was a time on Pinside when you could ask a question and get a simple answer. I remember when I started on Pinside a few years ago I didn't know what routed meant. Thankfully you weren't in that thread.

To any others wondering, RoHS is an EU member state restriction that prevents hazardous materials from being used in certain types of electronics.

So as StevenP said, not a U.S. issue. As such its almost entirely irrelevant in this thread. UL testing on the other hand...

#2379 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

You know, his website says pinball art for sale or something like that. A while back I inquired about buying some framed art and got zero response. I'd buy some nice art to hang in the gameroom if he just effing responded.

#2380 9 years ago
Quoted from 320Gigabytes:

And any time I have an artist illustrate something for me I will pay per each use, even if it's the same drawing.

While likely true, I would think it would serve him well to negotiate a deal for other items and SELL SELL SELL.

#2381 9 years ago

I'm sure there's a 3rd party storefront somewhere that provides sales and printing services (for a fee). Just provide them the art and print requirements. If he did something like that then not only would we get the art in a reasonable time span after payment, but it's also something he wouldn't need to be directly involved with.

#2382 9 years ago
Quoted from 320Gigabytes:

Not something I do. I hire for art for my company. It is now my company's property. Use in a portfolio is fine after a certain date, but general usage and sales are not. I'm a bit old school when it comes to this stuff though. Do I pay more for it? Maybe, but then it's mine.

#2383 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

And as RD pointed out, Jpop doesn't even get solo credit on the games his name is attached to. He was like the junior designer at Williams wasn't he?

Laughable statement. Are you being serious here?

#2384 9 years ago
Quoted from S37VEN:

go google it

Your welcome. Just shocked that you would not look it up. Takes as much time as asking.

#2385 9 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Software is the least concern, imo. It is a simple matter to update software these days, once a platform is in place. Which means, unlike 'fixed' aspects (artwork, toys, mechanisms), user input can be implemented at any time after release to tweak things.

Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah, and that's working so well for Stern. I'd be cautious about thinking software can just be fixed later. If the games ship badly unfinished does anyone feel confident "old" games will get more attention over new shiny things?

Let's see... Spiderman. Lord of the Rings. World Poker Tour. AC/DC. Metallica. Yeah, I'd say it is working petty well for Stern, even if not the optimal approach. And you can add WOZ for JJP.

#2386 9 years ago

Gonna "pop" out of this thread now, before I start correcting some misstatements and perhaps posting things I shouldn't be posting.

#2387 9 years ago

Gotta quit drinking in the afternoon ; )

#2388 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Your welcome. Just shocked that you would not look it up. Takes as much time as asking.

#2389 9 years ago

Like I said, the NDA's are out the window and long gone in the rear view mirror. You don't get to post videos for all the world to see and then maintain some cloud of secrecy. Enough of the "NDA".

That is some serious "shit" (in a great way), for artwork, Stern needs to hire that dude, the Yeti.

John is obviously a great pinball designer.

Don't think that once he starts getting MG pins out the door he's not going to have a "Zidware store". For that matter, Stern has barely just gotten up their own store and starting to capitalize on that revenue.

If he can make it through "hell" without getting burned to a crisp, and out the other side, he might have a gold mine at the end of the day.

#2390 9 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

360.JPG 82 KB

Quoted from S37VEN:

That loop da loop looks like it could be a ton of fun -- not unlike the Pinball Magic skill shot which I love.

Believe it or not it's been done. Gold Wings has a loop-de-loop shot. Bizarre machine but shockingly fun in small doses.

Top Left of PF:
http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1043&picno=58528

#2391 9 years ago

What!

#2392 9 years ago
Quoted from S37VEN:

Thanks for the snarky "go google it" responses. I often find that these types of responses come from people who don't know the answer and were the mouth breathers in high school that laughed at others for raising their hands in class to ask a question.
There was a time on Pinside when you could ask a question and get a simple answer. I remember when I started on Pinside a few years ago I didn't know what routed meant. Thankfully you weren't in that thread.
To any others wondering, RoHS is an EU member state restriction that prevents hazardous materials from being used in certain types of electronics.
So as StevenP said, not a U.S. issue. As such its almost entirely irrelevant in this thread. UL testing on the other hand...

Teach a yourself to fish, or expect to be fed for the rest of your life?

I have no problem helping people out, but draw the line when it is clear someone expects the other party to do everything. Google is your friend. We can be friends too, but don't expect everybody to spoon feed you everything

#2394 9 years ago
Quoted from S37VEN:

Lol! Some of you old farts are adept at computer stuff after all!

Nice, it's cool amigo. Sorry I gave you crap on asking vs googling. Its all good.

#2395 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Nice, it's cool amigo. Sorry I gave you crap on asking vs googling. Its all good.

All good - I was also once of those snarky mouth breathers at times despite what you may think Now get back to work!

#2396 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Enough of the "NDA".
That is some serious "shit" (in a great way), for artwork, Stern needs to hire that dude, the Yeti.
John is obviously a great pinball designer.
Don't think that once he starts getting MG pins out the door he's not going to have a "Zidware store". For that matter,

I agree with all of that, the shroud of secrecy has already turned into a liability for him. A Zidware store is a great idea, the artwork is completely amazing, and as long as he doesn't put a limit of 20 of each item he sells, it could wind up being more profitable than making the games in the first place. Or as has been mentioned, would certainly help fill in any income gap he may have without a lot of extra effort on his part.

#2397 9 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

zidware_genie_jambi.jpg 28 KB

magic_girl1.jpg 89 KB

magic_girl2.jpg 75 KB

magic_girl4.jpg 86 KB

magic_girl5.jpg 80 KB

magic_girl3.jpg 174 KB

magic_girl6.jpg 87 KB

raza1.jpg 80 KB

raza2.jpg 102 KB

Wow after seeing those games I would be willing to wait till 2016, clearly JP is operating on another level from anyone designing today....after seeing those features it would be very hard for me to love another fan layout. Damn....MIND BLOWN.

#2398 9 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Wow after seeing those games I would be willing to wait till 2016

... And the cult leader wins over the brainwashed again.

Seriously, a couple of videos and he gets a free pass for FOUR YEARS of stringing you people along?

#2399 9 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Seriously, a couple of videos and he gets a free pass for FOUR YEARS of stringing you people along?

I think you should let the cult decide for themselves.

#2400 9 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Stockholm syndrome - when the kidnap victim believes the kidnapper loves him because he says, "I'm not going to kill you today."

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 48 of 491.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6mg-raza-and-aiw%E2%80%A6/page/48 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.