(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,545 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,545 posts in this topic. You are on page 478 of 491.
#23851 6 years ago

Does it also sound like they are hinting at open sourcing the code? Or at least providing players with a SDK?

#23852 6 years ago

It does sound like that, good luck because that will end up burning them like they can't imagine.

#23853 6 years ago

Maybe Jon Norris and JPop can team up to make the world’s worst game. Although it will be hard to top Magic Girl.

The accounting team is on the software so no doubt this will be a real winner.

But seriously, Oursler and Nordman know their shit, I wonder what convinced them to sign up for this shit show?

#23854 6 years ago

Really surprised anyone would want to team up with Jpop. Birds of a feather type of thing.

#23855 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

But seriously, Oursler and Nordman know their shit, I wonder what convinced them to sign up for this shit show?

Everybody has to eat, and I'm guessing there are some regular paychecks on offer.

#23856 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Everybody has to eat, and I'm guessing there are some regular paychecks on offer.

That would be my guess. Working at what you love even for a couple months or a year is better than spending that time in a boring job you hate

#23857 6 years ago

I’m quietly rooting for Jon Norris. I’ve been following his blogs and his YouTube channel. He’s got a lot of passion for for Pinball. Listening to a lot of his interviews, it sounds like his designs were often stifled by upper management at Gottlieb, which ultimately led to rather poorly playing games. I’m hoping with the power of hindsight he can get back in the game and deliver some great playing experiences.

#23858 6 years ago

Pinball is also one of the few industries where ageism isn't a factor. As much as we celebrate our designers as celebrities, you have to think about what the job prospects outside of pinball are like when you're a certain age, which generally isn't good.

#23859 6 years ago
Quoted from VDrums2112:

They muse have some kind of impressive plan for Dennis Nordman to sign on.

Remember when Zidware was the real deal cause Jpop signed on?

Remember when Dutch Pinball "have their shit together!" because Roger Sharpe was drawing a paycheck?

Remember when Heighway had it locked down cause Barry and Dennis were involved?

#23860 6 years ago

...having said that, this isn't a bad design team for a startup company.

#23861 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Remember when Zidware was the real deal cause Jpop signed on?
Remember when Dutch Pinball "have their shit together!" because Roger Sharpe was drawing a paycheck?
Remember when Heighway had it locked down cause Barry and Dennis were involved?

If the nutjob in charge keeps writing the checks, 10k by Christmas!

#23862 6 years ago

If Dennis is involved, I believe this is the real deal.

#23863 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

If the nutjob in charge keeps writing the checks, 10k by Christmas!

10K/month salaries for the designers.

#23864 6 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

10K/month salaries for the designers

Is that about what Stern pays these days as well? Seems likely more than Stern pays, I recall a few years ago people thought Stern paid about 80k a year base to their full time designers; I do not recall what info that estimate was based on, if any.

#23865 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Is that about what Stern pays these days as well? Seems likely more than Stern pays, I recall a few years ago people thought Stern paid about 80k a year base to their full time designers; I do not recall what info that estimate was based on, if any.

I believe it was posted jpop paid himself $7500 a month from zidware, which was more than what Stern had offered. It's also generally known that everyone at Stern works below market rate, out of passion. $80k might be about right.

#23868 6 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

10K/month salaries for the designers.

Hell, I could tolerate JPop for a couple of months for that kind of cash

#23869 6 years ago

Holy S...not sure about this, but Dennis makes it seem worth a shot to get a little back.

#23870 6 years ago

The $$$ is there, that's the somewhat easy part. And its fun to spreadsheet cash flow/projections and spend OPM (Other people's money).

The thing is, execution and delivery is a whole different animal.

What i see sitting around in that picture is a shitload of overhead with no revenue coming in yet.

I'd love to see a new pinball model, whatever it is, and more pinball is good pinball!

Nordman and Barry certainly take it to another level.

This should be some show in 2018!!!

#23871 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I asked Barry about 8 months ago if he minded working with JPop back at Williams and he said he didn't mind at all. Having discussions with a couple of these men pictured, I don't believe any of them would have signed on unless they thought Zidware customers would be made whole.

#23872 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The $$$ is there, that's the somewhat easy part. And its fun to spreadsheet cash flow/projections and spend OPM (Other people's money).
The thing is, execution and delivery is a whole different animal.
What i see sitting around in that picture is a shitload of overhead with no revenue coming in yet.
I'd love to see a new pinball model, whatever it is, and more pinball is good pinball!
This should be some show in 2018!!!

Absolutely. But still, I'm feeling pretty good that someone might potentially be offering me something for my current nothing.

#23873 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Nordman for sure. Barry is experienced but nothing more, he does not have the magic. He is a gap filler for deeproot.

#23874 6 years ago
Quoted from Makakka:

Barry is experienced but nothing more, he does not have the magic.

23dbik (resized).jpg23dbik (resized).jpg

#23875 6 years ago

You say he is not experienced

#23876 6 years ago
Quoted from Makakka:

You say he is not experienced

No experience making zizzle games.

#23877 6 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Absolutely. But still, I'm feeling pretty good that someone might potentially be offering me something for my current nothing.

Some hope is better than no hope but they're not getting a penny more from me unless they have a game worth buying and ready to ship.

#23878 6 years ago

When the flyers say, and reality proves:

"Available for immediate delivery from your Deeprut(sic)Distributor", then I'll consider their products.

#23879 6 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Barry Oursler, Dennis Nordman, and Jon Norris join deeproot.

Looks like David Theil too.

#23880 6 years ago

I have my fingers and toes crossed for all of you guys who were ripped off by Zidware. Maybe, just maybe there is a chance you will be made whole or partially whole one day soon. Hope is a powerful thing. Here’s to hoping.

#23881 6 years ago
Quoted from PinSinner:

I have my fingers and toes crossed for all of you guys who were ripped off by Zidware. Maybe, just maybe there is a chance you will be made whole or partially whole one day soon. Hope is a powerful thing. Here’s to hoping.

Well I'm rooting for all the good designers at deeproot to do something positive. There's only one out of the 4 who I will never buy a game he is associated with.

#23882 6 years ago

Technicaly bsd is one of the most inovative game designs for that time, even for today's standards.
Ik think barry is a great designer.

On the Dutch dpo expo 2017 he choose his own bsd as best game of the show hahaha, no intrest in other people's machines at all.
Thats pity.
Stil love his designs.

#23883 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

Technicaly bsd is one of the most inovative game designs for that time, even for today's standards.

Beside the great layout and design, you have to give some credit to Bill Pfutzenreuter who did some revolutionary things with the software on that one.

#23885 6 years ago

"software by Pfutz"

#23886 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

On the Dutch dpo expo 2017 he choose his own bsd as best game of the show hahaha, no intrest in other people's machines at all.
Thats pity.
Stil love his designs.

I have owned BSD and it has great qualities (like Mist) but to me the layout has some similarities to Diner. (I love Diner, but innovative?) The ramp lift lock move from one side to the other. But think about it if you know both games well.

#23887 6 years ago

Did you find Popeye that much better?

#23888 6 years ago

I can't believe that Oursler, Nordman, Norris and Theil would join ranks with such a failure and thief like Popaduce. Talk about taking your stellar reputations and tarnishing them. Why on earth would anyone bring a piece of sh!t pariah like Jpoop on board. I think these guys have lost their minds if the continue down this path.

QSS

#23889 6 years ago
Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

I can't believe that Oursler, Nordman, Norris and Theil would join ranks with such a failure and thief like Popaduce. Talk about taking your stellar reputations and tarnishing them.

They were unemployed otherwise.. you think they have much of a pension from their previous jobs? They need to eat.

#23890 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Did you find Popeye that much better?

Yes.

#23891 6 years ago

I can't believe that Oursler, Nordman, Norris and Theil would join ranks with such a failure and thief like Popaduce. Talk about taking your stellar reputations and tarnishing them. Why on earth would anyone bring a piece of sh!t pariah like Jpoop on board. I think these guys have lost their minds if the continue down this path.
QSS

Its very common in the business world.
They didnt invest, or order a Jpop Game, and failure/bankruptcy is considered acceptable.
Not to us, as customers, or anyone who has lost.
But some people can look past that.

Ive had a few dozen "Quality" retailers, go bankrupt and say tough....only to find a vendor in line, waiting to do business in minutes with a bankrupt company.

It often exists with bragging rights by some, and called "smart" or "genius" to take advantage of this.

Im with you, as a human response.

#23892 6 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

They were unemployed otherwise.. you think they have much of a pension from their previous jobs? They need to eat.

Totally fine!!! Eat all you want. But why invite Jpoop to the table? Unless they like the stench of rotting fish?

QSS

#23893 6 years ago

Totally fine!!! Eat all you want. But why invite Jpoop to the table? Unless they like the stench of rotting fish?
QSS

It’s not like the other designers had a say in who their co-worker was, in fact JPop was already there when they got hired (he may have helped them get the job for all we know). The other desigers I’m sure are happy to have a job for their skill set and I’m happy for them, everyone has bills to pay and mouths to feed.

While I understand everyone’s amazement that JPop keeps popping back up, let’s not begrudge other designers their paychecks or claim they take some moral high ground for the community and turn down a job/paycheck I’m sure they need.

#23894 6 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Nothing personal, just business!

#23895 6 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Bally Manufacturing Corporation froze and bought out the employee pension plan for those with less than ten years seniority in the early '80's IIRC.

#23896 6 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Bally Manufacturing Corporation froze

It does look pretty fricken cold there.

nib7 (resized).jpgnib7 (resized).jpg

#23897 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

It’s not like the other designers had a say in who their co-worker was, in fact JPop was already there when they got hired (he may have helped them get the job for all we know). The other desigers I’m sure are happy to have a job for their skill set and I’m happy for them, everyone has bills to pay and mouths to feed.
While I understand everyone’s amazement that JPop keeps popping back up, let’s not begrudge other designers their paychecks or claim they take some moral high ground for the community and turn down a job/paycheck I’m sure they need.

Your right....... your totally right. Oursler, Nordman, Norris and Theil all deserve to make a good living.....a great living! These guys are a real tribute to the pinball culture and all things good about pinball.

I guess my question is "Why does anyone hire Jpoop? Why does anyone think Jpoop has qualities that are so damn good? Why does the person who hired Jpoop choose to ignore his lack of morals and his complete disregard for decency/respect for the pinball community? What on God's Green Earth does anyone think is so F#cking great about Jpoop?

The guy is a thief and a piece of sh!t! Why bring that kinda trash on board??

QSS

#23898 6 years ago

I need a drink.

QSS

#23899 6 years ago

You've had one too many!

#23900 6 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

You've had one too many!

Actually I have not. I'm just thinking of having a couple of cocktails now.

I really love pinball. Pinball has been with me since I first played Black Knight when I was 11 back in 1980. Pinball has been with me my whole life and I love it. I love the community and I love this forum.

As far as I'm concerned, Jpoop is a all that is bad in pinball. He's a liar and he's a two-bit thief. In my opinion he is the epitome of a "piece of sh!t".

Simple!

QSS

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 24,545 posts in this topic. You are on page 478 of 491.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6mg-raza-and-aiw%E2%80%A6/page/478 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.