(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,288 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 168 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,694 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png
B3F72CE8-1FCA-4E93-9994-CCC068D8F4C2 (resized).jpeg
7A86BB52-E1F5-4086-955C-86A6383C27D3 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

21 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24288 posts in this topic. You are on page 460 of 486.
#22951 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

If Jpop came out right now and said I'm going to sell 20 of the zombie chick bowling pins and asked for a $10k deposit and a $17k price tag, how many people do you think would sign up?
Gonna buy MG for $30k and not Zombie bowling for $17k to have another "piece of history"? I wouldn't, nor would many but like so many of you guys keep saying, there are plenty of "collectors" that would. The evidence is in.

Fronting money for a wish is something completely different: Magic Girl exists today and can be delivered immediately, "Zombie Bowling" is vapor. That evidence doesn't apply unless JPop tricks someone again and has a "ready" product first.

#22952 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I had this same thought and agree with a slightly different take. I don't know Jpop's personal situation but he could restructure assets and pull money out. He owns a home and I seem to recall at least one rental property. I'm speculating he could refinance his real estate, pull out cash and refund the money. Tap his wife's 401 or borrow family money. Then as you suggest, sell those spots again. Lawsuit goes away and he begins anew.
Without hard numbers, I agree. With MG delivered he could be within easy striking distance of curing his debt to everyone and padding his wallet. What might he owe at this point? A quarter of a million, half, three quarters of a million? That's chump change in today's environment.
And here's the kicker. Jpop only need pay off those 11 people that are presently suing him. Whats that, less than 50K? Easy money to raise.

Isn't that considered co-mingling funds? Maybe it varies state-by-state, but I thought it was against the law everywhere. It's usually done the opposite way, funneling business money into personal accounts which he has also probably done. lol

#22953 2 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Still curious on how the lawsuits goes forward with the potential conflict of intrest of those suing who have received their games.

I don't understand how there can be a conflict of interest. At least not based on the current legal status (i.e., no bankruptcy).

MG, RAZA and AIW buyers were all in the same boat legally: they paid money for a product that they didn't receive in a timely manner. So there is no conflict of interest.

Now that MG has been delivered to owners, any litigant who was suing based only on not getting a MG would presumably no longer be part of the civil lawsuit (so obviously still no conflict of interest).

The only potential conflict of interest that I see would be if the case winds up in BK Court via an involuntary petition, and the attorney was representing both MG and RAZA/AIW buyers. The conflict would be due to the fact that MG owners have received their pins, so they would not want an involuntary petition filed as there may be some risk of their MG's being considered preferential transfers. But again, if they got their MG, why would they be part of a lawsuit any longer?

The more interesting question arises for those who have paid money for MG *and* RAZA/AIW. If you got your MG but are still owed a RAZA/AIW, you can still be litigating a case against JPop, but you might want to reconsider the filing of an involuntary BK petition...at least at this stage, as you could actually wind up screwing yourself.

Interesting conundrum for people in that situation.

#22954 2 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I just picked up a Stellar Wars! (just now)! Damn those things are heavy! Up a flight of stairs SIDEWAYS because it wouldn't fit through the door! Guy bought it over 30 years ago and it hasn't been played for 10 years.

Damn you Ted!!

Was that the game on South Jersey CL? I've been eyeballing that for a week or two and debating. From the description, I knew it would be in good condition. Not as much hype as Stars as of late on Pinside, but a great player.

#22955 2 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

Isn't that considered co-mingling funds? Maybe it varies state-by-state, but I thought it was against the law everywhere.

A business owner can raise capitol any way he sees fit to fund his operation.

#22956 2 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Was that the game on South Jersey CL?

No need to damn me….this was in VERY North Jersey.
Players condition, but got a good deal…

#22957 2 years ago

From Chris:
Images of what's different in the protoypes that went out and the other 19 MGs. Most annoying difference is John removed the outlane posts which are SORELY needed in the game. Now it's as if you're playing a Stern with the outlane posts fully removed. Aka...no fun.

Images of 19 MGs on left, and Prototype on right.

Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 4.08.46 PM copy (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 4.13.03 PM copy (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 4.18.50 PM copy (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 4.40.37 PM copy (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 4.46.05 PM (resized).jpg

#22958 2 years ago

I wonder if the proto roll over switches is what lights the POWER to power up the magna flippers

#22959 2 years ago

I realize it is weird, but don't all those differences make each game unique...in a good way? Obviously, they should all work equally well, but unique plastics seems like an awesome, amazing idea for a boutique build. If my game had a truly unique set of plastics that no other machine had, I'd be happy!

#22960 2 years ago

Nah they're still all turds

#22961 2 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I realize it is weird, but don't all those differences make each game unique...in a good way? Obviously, they should all work equally well, but unique plastics seems like an awesome, amazing idea for a boutique build. If my game had a truly unique set of plastics that no other machine had, I'd be happy!

Perhaps if each game worked 100%, but was unique. But this seems all hobbled together.

#22962 2 years ago

It just occurred to me that the number of posts in this thread could be an indication of the value of MG. $ 22,962 and rising

#22963 2 years ago
Quoted from Ballypin:

It just occurred to me that the number of posts in this thread could be an indication of the value of MG. $ 22,962 and rising

We should close this one and start over at zero then.

#22964 2 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

It's a shame that such a good designer (I think we would all agree that JPOP is an extremely talented designer)

This is the "designer" of SWE1. Widely regarded by almost everybody as an abject failure on every level.

I think the second P2K title was critical. His work on that platform didn't do it justice, and may have contributed to the downfall of that whole system. I wonder if Wizard Blocks had come out as #2 if things would have been different? We'll never know.

JPop's successes have exclusively been in concert with larger, teams of dedicated, experienced people. His solo efforts have not proven to reveal distinction.

He makes very pretty pinball machines that have decent flow. It's rare to see many of his games in competition because the games are repetitive and relatively easy for experienced players. I imagine they did well on location because they were very attractive. I own several of his games. I personally get bored with them, but I'm into technical gameplay. I find his games somewhat remedial and repetitive. However, I think his visual aesthetic is one of the best in the industry. But I think his best work has always been when he was put on a short leash. When he wasn't, he appears to be a disaster.

It bothers me how everybody is willing to give him most of the credit when everything great he ever did was as part of a solid team. Everything he did when he called most of the shots, didn't achieve much success, if not unravel into a complete mess.

#22965 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I don't understand how there can be a conflict of interest.

Not sure how all that works Rob I'm a concrete guy not a lawyer. I can't discuss the lawsuit, but there is more info about this case than just what is in this thread. The wheels of justice are turning ever so slowly!

#22966 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

A business owner can raise capitol any way he sees fit to fund his operation.

Not always the case. Each state has blue sky laws on capital raising. These are designed to protect those that can't afford or understand an investment (requiring people be accredited investors is a common requirement).

I'm not suggesting these blue sky laws are applicable in this matter, just making an observation that not all avenues of capital are legal/appropriate.

#22967 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Not always the case. Each state has blue sky laws on capital raising. These are designed to protect those that can't afford or understand an investment (requiring people be accredited investors is a common requirement).
I'm not suggesting these blue sky laws are applicable in this matter, just making an observation that not all avenues of capital are legal/appropriate.

I wasn't clear. I was referring to my earlier comment about Jpop refinancing and pulling cash out for himself.
If you follow the comment thread back, you will see.
But your point is taken.

#22968 2 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Not sure how all that works Rob I'm a concrete guy not a lawyer.

And I'm certainly not a BK lawyer, so take everything that I say with a rather huge grain of salt!

If an involuntary petition for BK is in the works, that attorney could have a potential conflict of interest if representing both RAZA/AIW and MG owners.

Have all MG owners received their pin?

#22969 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I'm certainly not a BK lawyer

th (resized).jpg

#22970 2 years ago

lol!

#22971 2 years ago

So I'm curious about a couple of things:

1. I stumbled onto a couple of stories about some Harry Williiams and some lost playfield drawings that he'd done, but were never used for games. John Popadiuk was mentioned a couple of times towards the beginning of the story, and the writer seemed to have good things to say about him. This was before his venture into Zidware. Before Zidware, was JPop fairly well respected within the industry?

2. The pinball community, overall, seems to be forgiving. If JPop were to somehow make good on the other two games that he took money for, and deliver them, and was somehow able to make good with his vendors, then just went back to what he was good at, which is designing pinball machines (and obviously not trying to run a pinball company), would the pinball community accept him back with open (but wary) arms, or has he done so much damage to so many people that he is blackballed within the industry forever?

The reason I'm putting this out there is that with the delivery of MG, I've seen a few scattered comments that are not as negative about the man. Does he deserve another chance if he cleans up his mess, and is never in a position to put people through what he put them through the past several years?

#22972 2 years ago
Quoted from Dooskie:

1. I stumbled onto a couple of stories about some Harry Williiams and some lost playfield drawings that he'd done, but were never used for games. John Popadiuk was mentioned a couple of times towards the beginning of the story, and the writer seemed to have good things to say about him. This was before his venture into Zidware. Before Zidware, was JPop fairly well respected within the industry?

John Popadiuk was inducted into the Pinball Expo Hall of Fame in 2013. Shortly before this is when he launched Zidware and to the average person he was a celebrity pinball designer.

Side note: During Jpop's fall from grace and after, many internet wannabe's on Pinside came forward claiming they knew he was a bad apple all along.

Quoted from Dooskie:

2. The pinball community, overall, seems to be forgiving. If JPop were to somehow make good on the other two games that he took money for, and deliver them, and was somehow able to make good with his vendors, then just went back to what he was good at, which is designing pinball machines (and obviously not trying to run a pinball company), would the pinball community accept him back with open (but wary) arms, or has he done so much damage to so many people that he is blackballed within the industry forever?

If he was supervised by a project manager and strictly controlled by a legitimate company, yes, I would quickly jump in. I love his games. And I say this even though Jpop treated me very poorly and currently owes me a RAZA or financial compensation.

Edit/Add: He would need to satisfy all customers and vendors for past debts.

#22973 2 years ago
Quoted from Dooskie:

I think it's safe to say that he's burned bridges beyond repair. He has singlehandedly sullied his name to the point that he's toxic. People would likely avoid a game he was involved with just because his name is on it. His only inroads would be to get in on a game under an assumed name. He didn't deliver MG...it was crapped out half-baked to avoid a lawsuit, and that was only made possible by AP. It wasn't a triumphant debut of a fully fleshed out masterpiece.

#22974 2 years ago
Quoted from Dooskie:

If JPop were to somehow make good on the other two games that he took money for, and deliver them, and was somehow able to make good with his vendors,

lol

#22975 2 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

I'll just beat everyone to the punch...
It's mine. Let the shit show begin
ebay.com link »
While I don't expect it to sell for that, I encourage serious buyers to contact to me directly.

If it sells for anything close Congratulations just remember me at Expo. I love another care package like last time when you had to get on the plane with John. Makes for happier moments in life.

#22976 2 years ago
Quoted from Dooskie:

I doubt anyone who has a Magic Girl now feels anything other than closure. It certainly isn't the game they were promised, and won't ever be, but at least for them its over. They can move on.

IMO JPOP seems to remain unapologetic or show any humility for his wrong doing, and by any standard still has a debt to the MG owners for failing them so catastrophically and ending it, for them at least, on such a sour note.

That said, his future seems entirely in his own hands, but if I were a betting man, I'd say there won't be a turnaround, he hasn't shown any evidence of doing anything to make right his wrong doings, only meet some bare minimum that protects him and his family from the ravages of lawsuits and bankruptcy.

Any potential employer would have to see that history and the absolutely massive burns he put on all parties involved as toxic, even resolving his financial responsibilities to them won't hid his behavioral and ego problems.

Back to the sidelines to see if this trainwreck has a second act. Good luck RAZA and AIW owners.

#22977 2 years ago

Break the box down, you can always build it back up if necessary. Hoist it to the ceiling in your garage or park your car on top of it. Put all the foam and cardboard packing crap in a large trash bag and store it in an attic or under the pinball machine etc.

No garage? store it with the ends folded back and taped flat under a bed.

#22978 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

I find his games somewhat remedial and repetitive. However, I think his visual aesthetic is one of the best in the industry. But I think his best work has always been when he was put on a short leash. When he wasn't, he appears to be a disaster.
It bothers me how everybody is willing to give him most of the credit when everything great he ever did was as part of a solid team. Everything he did when he called most of the shots, didn't achieve much success, if not unravel into a complete mess.

I'm gonna agree with you. I NEVER thought, 15 years ago..."gee, I hope Stern brings in some fresh Popaduik!"

I was always hoping they'd bring back Steve Ritchie.

But JPop? I mean...neat games. I always loved TOM and it's still my favorite of his. But this is not a designer with a long track record of games I love...Ritchie, Lawlor, hell even Barry Ouersler. The fascination with him didn't really seem to start till 5 years ago when all the fresh meat came in. They certainly are great "collector" games but you are right on the money in that they almost never turn up in tournaments.

#22979 2 years ago

post is going to hit 23000 soon. This is a huge read. Anyone looking to turn this into a book?

#22980 2 years ago

WCS is a JPOP game I see quite often in tournaments, but the others yes.

#22981 2 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

I read all of this and am.invested in RAZA. I can say I do hold AP accountable for associating with JPoop and will not be buying any of the games they sell unless they do something for us RAZA owners.

I agree in principle and will never associate with AP in any way. They basically took what little cash was remaining from AIW and RAZA and colluded with Jpop to help him avoid jail by building parts to be cobbled together into 19 piles of pretty junk. It is not just that Jpop was tainted at the time they struck up with him - it's the fact that the money itself was tainted. It is insane that the courts didn't get involved and freeze the assets before it came to all of this. Too late now. Jpop will walk free and the money that might have been recovered is in AP pockets.

#22982 2 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

WCS is a JPOP game I see quite often in tournaments, but the others yes.

True. And that's the game that was taken away from him and finished by steve Ritchie and others. Because he was a "stubborn newbie."

#22983 2 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I agree in principle and will never associate with AP in any way. They basically took what little cash was remaining from AIW and RAZA and colluded with Jpop to help him avoid jail by building parts to be cobbled together into 19 piles of pretty junk. It is not just that Jpop was tainted at the time they struck up with him - it's the fact that the money itself was tainted. It is insane that the courts didn't get involved and freeze the assets before it came to all of this. Too late now. Jpop will walk free and the money that might have been recovered is in AP pockets.

Yep, the only way it works is if they give us a credit on one of the games they are releasing.

I either support them with a credit and them trying to do right by all of us shafted by Jpoop, or I make it a mission to not support them in any way.

#22984 2 years ago

Without specifics we are all just guessing. If I was to guess it would be that AP lost money on this fiasco not made money. The only thing they earned was a lesson.

I'm going to wait for real information before making too strong of an opinion about them either way. About AP that is. JPop can never be anything good without complete accountability, apologies and restitution.

#22985 2 years ago

What does AP have to do with RAZA and AIW? Answer = nothing. Everyone should certainly direct anger and resolution at JPOP. He is 100 percent liable for those games. You have to realize MG would never have been built without an agreement with AP. I hope people continue to sue him until he returns deposits no matter what that does to his financial situation. Then I'd like to see the IRS take a crack at him.

I am very interested to see how APs HOUDINI game turns out. Looking forward to hearing about out it at TPF.

Quoted from hank527:

Yep, the only way it works is if they give us a credit on one of the games they are releasing.
I either support them with a credit and them trying to do right by all of us shafted by Jpoop, or I make it a mission to not support them in any way.

#22986 2 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

What does AP have to do with RAZA and AIW? Answer = nothing. Everyone should certainly direct anger and resolution at JPOP. He is 100 percent liable for those games. You have to realize MG would never have been built without an agreement with AP. I hope people continue to sue him until he returns deposits no matter what that does to his financial situation. Then I'd like to see the IRS take a crack at him.
I am very interested to see how APs HOUDINI game turns out. Looking forward to hearing about out it at TPF.

You should be able to play one at TPF

#22987 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The fascination with him didn't really seem to start till 5 years ago when all the fresh meat came in.

Which, coincidentally, is right around the time The Pinball Arcade came out... with TOTAN as the free table.

You've said on multiple occasions that JPOPs games aren't tournament friendly. Why? I have never seen one in a tourney either. Are they too easy to exploit?

#22988 2 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

post is going to hit 23000 soon. This is a huge read. Anyone looking to turn this into a book?

Mostly complete, yet there are more chapters to come. You'd need a competent editor to cut things down, but it could be published as a scientific paper or a business case study at your local university.

#22989 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

If he can work his magic on these people then what stops him from finding another? At the same time he now has plenty of additional info to show any investor that he is capable of making a game that will sell for over 30k on the secondary market. Reality is that Jpop appears to be in a difficult situation currently, has made comment that he was willing to put out these half baked MGs just to stave off ongoing legal matters.

Quoted from benheck:

I agree with Hilton on this one... it's not the end. Especially with MG flipping for well above retail.
He's probably not working on games, rather hitting up "Craigslist Dubai" for the next sugar daddy who will write a check without doing any research.
On one hand people should be happy he hasn't given up, but on the other it's frustrating to see him get *so many second chances* when other companies (with actual completed games) are struggling and could use help.

I'm beginning to soften my stance and understand Whysnow and Ben's opinion on these games possibly being made. Iceman too, as I recall. But I have some differences.

I don't believe additional MG's will be made. I just don't and I'm too lazy to go into detail about it. But I do believe there is a chance RAZA and AIW might be made. Negative news is still news and the community has been talking up these machines for years now. Jpop is still desperate right now and I believe he's willing to cut any kind of deal. This could make good sense for an established company to build these games under their teams supervision.

They would take care of the few people still owed first, garnering good will, and follow with a profitable full production run. If Jpop were to lift his dress up to Stern or Jersey Jack, I say one of those guys might put a condom on and do it.

And of course vendors need to be taken care of also.

Pintasia is the wild card here that I continue to struggle with. I'm convinced they are still a player that needs to be dealt with.

#22990 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Mostly finished, there is undoubtedly more to come. You would need a good editor to cut things down, but it could be published or be used in business case study at your local university.

23000 posts, 99% noise. The actual distilled plot line could make an interesting film. Might not be believeable enough though.

#22991 2 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I get this, but I in no way can say AP has nothing to do with this. They stepped on the burning brown bag on the front porch. Guess what, their shoes are going to smell bad for a long time afterwards. There is no easy way to clean this stench off

#22992 2 years ago

Only 8 away from 23000. Though I think this is breaking the update on new posts as my account says 123 new since my last post. At some number back, this just stopped working

#22993 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I don't believe additional MG's will be made. I just don't and I'm too lazy to go into detail about it

This is the humour i live for

#22994 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

If Jpop were to lift his dress up to Stern or Jersey Jack, I say one of those guys might put a condom on

Edgy,dicy...but ROFL

#22995 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

If Jpop were to lift his dress up to Stern or Jersey Jack, I say one of those guys might put a condom on and do it.

I don't believe anyone in the pin industry would touch that dried up, crusty, disease infested puss.

#22996 2 years ago

For their first game build, I feel American Pinball did a great job. Far from perfect with many miswired switches and coils, but nothing that can't be corrected with a bit more time and experience building pinball.

Build quality is top notch. Better than some manufacturers that have built many multiples more than AP.

It will be interesting to see what they show at TPF with the newly designed Houdini.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#22997 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I'm beginning to soften my stance and understand Whysnow and Ben's opinion on these games possibly being made.

I speculated that John would snare another investor into his quagmire, not that RAZA/AIW would get made.

#22998 2 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

I don't believe anyone in the pin industry would touch that dried up, crusty, disease infested puss.

Your probably right. My doctor recently increased my testosterone supplementation and everything is looking sexy to me.

Thanks for the clarity, Ben.

#22999 2 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Only 8 away from 23000.

In just under the wire. Who is Jpop?

#23000 2 years ago

image (resized).png

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 399.95
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Mods for your pinballs
There are 24288 posts in this topic. You are on page 460 of 486.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside