(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,288 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 168 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,694 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png
B3F72CE8-1FCA-4E93-9994-CCC068D8F4C2 (resized).jpeg
7A86BB52-E1F5-4086-955C-86A6383C27D3 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

21 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24288 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 486.
#2252 4 years ago
Quoted from Redeyes:

U said you posted on the blog yesterday? I didnt see it?

Frolic posted to an older topic (October thread)

#2253 4 years ago

What's likely to happen, John will give up and build some crappy pin in a snazzy cabinet, he'll say here you are, so he doesn't get his ass sued off.

It's what is meant by the expression don't buy a pig in a poke, I love finding almost the exact phrase to describe the situation.

image.jpg

#2254 4 years ago

Is it safe to come out now, did everyone stop feeding the trolls?

Come out come out.PNG

#2255 4 years ago

I don't think you have to worry about kaneda... if John doesn't respond to his own blog, why would he even read this thread?

#2256 4 years ago

popadiuk1.jpg

#2257 4 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

a 38 year old with an arcade in his bedroom, you're not really checking off the maturity box.

#2258 4 years ago

I can't speak to all of the reasons John changed BHZA to RAZA. Some customers didn't want me on the game, just zombies, which I understand.

But part of it had to be his displeasure with me working with Chuck who has a competing zombie game. I wasn't even part of Chuck's game (just AMH) but I guess it was close enough?

John doesn't seem to understand Zombie culture anyway. Mars Attacks and Robots? That has nothing to do with Zombies! Pick ONE genre and stay true to it, that's what I did.

#2259 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

What you guys really need is a full accounting, inventory and budget (the budget would be tied to some timeline. Here is what I would ask:

1) How much money has he taken in total from customers to date?
2) How much capital did he invest into the company from third parties or himself?
3) What is in the bank account as of today?
4) What is his cash burn rate monthly?
5) How much is his salary (broken down by each year of the project)?
6) What is the outstanding accounts payable not yet paid?
7) How much is left outstanding in pre-order money from people who have signed up (this is his only AR)?
Does he intend to contribute capital to the company moving forward and if so how much and when?
9) What are the assets of the company (mostly equipment I would presume)?
10) What is his inventory?
11) How much in parts does he need to build out MG in total? How about Raza?
12) What will the labor costs be?
13) Costs to pursue patents further and other weird intangible costs?

Once all this is answered you guys can decide the next step...and whether JPop is able to build the games even if he is inclined to do so.

Do you think there is even a small, tiny, remote possibility that this information would be freely given by JPop?

Not a chance. If you want this info, there is only one way to get it: filing a lawsuit.

Quoted from benheck:

I can't speak to all of the reasons John changed BHZA to RAZA. Some customers didn't want me on the game, just zombies, which I understand.
But part of it had to be his displeasure with me working with Chuck who has a competing zombie game. I wasn't even part of Chuck's game (just AMH) but I guess it was close enough?
John doesn't seem to understand Zombie culture anyway. Mars Attacks and Robots? That has nothing to do with Zombies! Pick ONE genre and stay true to it, that's what I did.

Couldn't agree more.

#2260 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I think Spooky's zombie game is also the reason why raza went Mars Attacks.

Even though BHZA/RAZA was sold out, because another zombie game existed (or plans to exist) we got a ton of changes (burning money and time).

#2261 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I think Spooky's zombie game is also the reason why raza went Mars Attacks

That and Stern's walking dead. I don't know why alice in wonderland is his 3rd, somebody else is also working on that title.

Quoted from benheck:

Thanks for chiming in ben. Care to comment about John working Tesla for his 4th title when that was your idea? Or do you not care, you just want to see it made?

#2262 4 years ago

4th title... hee hee..

#2263 4 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

OK BACK ON TOPIC...NO MORE ABOUT ME AND MY MADE UP GIRLFRIEND...BACK TO ZIDWARE and the status of the games...I won't post anything else that's not JPOP related, but you guys have to hold up your end of the bargain.
That being said...I've seen the playfield and it's fucking EPIC!!!! Game is going to be worth the wait. Playfield and plastic art went up yesterday.

Question.

Do you find people seem to give you unnecessary criticism as you go about your life and you just can't figure out why??

#2264 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I love campy and/or classic sci fi, I have the Topps book that collects all the original Mark Attacks! cards, and a limited edition Forbidden Planet print in my office. That stuff is right up my alley.

But I agree, it's really unrelated to zombies. Sure, you could mash them up in an interesting way, nothing wrong with that, but when people are looking for ZOMBIES it's a tough marriage.

I sort of doubt Jpop really stopped to think about the genre. Zombies are an intimate fear. They confront us with our cultural mortality and norms. The best zombie flicks are allegorical, people trapped in a giant mall fighting the mindless dead.

Sci Fi is almost the other side of the same coin. Less about intimacy, and more the expansive unknown. We tend to band together as a world in the face of the alien, not get separated and fractured as our dead consume us from within.

Which is all to say that you're somewhat missing the point if you think you can just smush the two together and make everyone happy.

Beyond that, if your art is constantly changing (and we know it will have to change again since he's so utterly wrong about the rights to the Mars Attacks! aliens and Robbie the Robot) it calls into question the whole game. How can you be building a cohesive game when you don't even know who your main characters are? What kind of narrative structure can possibly exist in that kind of flux?

It doesn't sound like the work of a genius, it sounds like a guy saying "hey kid, draw me some cool retro space shit, I'm gonna be over here filing patents while my laser cutter is running".

Magic Girl is the same thing. "It looks like this!" ... "No wait, let's make it Egyptian themed!"

Licensed games are sadly the norm now, but one reason they're so popular is they give you a framework. When you're Stern and you're trying to release several games a year it's really helpful to have the foundation all set for you. No wandering in the desert trying to figure out the ins and outs of the theme, all the characters and narrative are right there.

I don't doubt he's an idea man. But when he was at Williams he probably said "a crazy circus!" and they said "make it so" and then he had to just work on it because there was a damn deadline and people there working with him who he couldn't tell to just piss off and leave him alone. Art was done, and no, we're not paying to have it totally restarted.

Too much freedom doesn't always equal a better result. See George Lucas.

#2265 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

But weren't you a zombie? Or at least a mad scientist responsible for creating the zombies? I don't see the issue and I couldn't be more disappointed that look/theme isn't still in play.

Quoted from toyotaboy:

Care to comment about John working Tesla for his 4th title when that was your idea? Or do you not care, you just want to see it made?

Just want to see it made? You are aware it's Jpop were talking about here, right?

#2266 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Too much freedom doesn't always equal a better result. See George Lucas.

You don't need to look any further than this game. BHZA > RAZA in every visual and thematic way.

#2267 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

If you want this info, there is only one way to get it: filing a lawsuit.

It's not hard to guesstimate the money he's gotten these last 4 years, it does not add up to a lot. Then start deducting expenses, like that 3,000 hours of art, and everything else. Combined with not giving people refunds, pretty easy to conclude there is no money kicking around. lawsuits are pointless.

All I'm left with is the public shaming to try and get some answers and hope he can turn things around. Failing that, make sure everyone knows not to send any more good money after bad.

#2268 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

It's not hard to guesstimate the money he's gotten these last 4 years, it does not add up to a lot. Then start deducting expenses, like that 3,000 hours of art, and everything else. Combined with not giving people refunds, pretty easy to conclude there is no money kicking around. lawsuits are pointless.
All I'm left with is the public shaming to try and get some answers and hope he can turn things around. Failing that, make sure everyone knows not to send any more good money after bad.

Well said, and my post should not be construed as a recommendation for filing of a lawsuit. I was just saying that there is no way that JPop would ever give out that info on his own free will.

#2269 4 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

4th title... hee hee..

Quoted from Cheeks:

Just want to see it made? You are aware it's Jpop were talking about here, right?

I didn't say which decade

#2271 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I don't doubt he's an idea man. But when he was at Williams he probably said "a crazy circus!" and they said "make it so" and then he had to just work on it because there was a damn deadline and people there working with him who he couldn't tell to just piss off and leave him alone. Art was done, and no, we're not paying to have it totally restarted.

Remember, the prototype CV had the "gay" Ringmaster voice (play the proto at Expo when Cameron brings it). Totally different character than what we have now. Fortunately, someone DID pay to have that part totally restarted

#2272 4 years ago

Is there really anything to stop him from shipping zizzles with MG art to fulfill his obligations at this point? Since there are no published details to live up to, he could release whatever he wants. I doubt he'll even ship anything, but would there be any recourse if he did this?

#2273 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Care to comment about John working Tesla for his 4th title when that was your idea? Or do you not care, you just want to see it made?

I'm waiting for the 5th game.

#2274 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I'm waiting for the 5th game.

I thought this was it (courtesy google cache, posted publicly):

pussycat.jpg

http://www.pussycatpinball.com/

He's removed the artwork, btw. The girls are gone. Good chance he is lurking this thread.

John, it's time to change how you are doing things. If you were flush with cash, games built, satisfied customers, you could tell the whole world to F off. But that is not how things have gone.

#2276 4 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

He isn't following too closely, he hasn't been on pinside since Sept 30 according to his profile.

I'm sure he's following this thread daily... He's just not signing in to his account. Like others have said, there's no way he would miss an opportunity to read about himself. (Good or bad.)

It would be a shame if screwing people over became his legacy. However, as each day passes, it's looking more like that's the case.

A side note. I'm trying not to second guess the mods, but what does it take for Kaneda to get the permanent ban hammer? The guy has officially become the Frank Furthur of Pinside.

#2277 4 years ago

kaneda isn't really doing anything beyond asking stupid questions. Problem is so many people dislike him they respond negatively and it turns into a shitshow.

#2278 4 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

OK OK OK...you guys win...I won't post in this thread for an ENTIRE WEEK! Got a bunch of work to do anyway. It's yours...Hope you get some info and for the buyers out there, I'm sure the playfield and plastic images will calm your fears a bit. It's going to blow everything away MG.

Your self imposed ban from this thread for one week is accepted. Please honor the self imposed ban.

Everyone else, please do not bait kaneda into responding further.

#2279 4 years ago

The contract prevents him for delivering a zizzle. The contract describes the type of machine being sold as a full size pinball.

#2280 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Your self imposed ban from this thread for one week is accepted. Please honor the self imposed ban.

image-343.jpgimage-176.jpgimage-797.jpgimage-117.jpgimage-317.jpg

#2281 4 years ago

It seems to me the only possible action at this point is a lawsuit. "Asking nicely" is clearly a waste of time.

There's a bunch of lawyers on this site, won't a couple of you do some pro bono work for the sake of boutique pinball?

#2282 4 years ago

The moderators have discussed it, and we have decided to permanently ban kaneda from this thread for "general conduct unbecoming a Pinsider".

#2283 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

The moderators have discussed it, and we have decided to permanently ban kaneda from this thread for "general conduct unbecoming a Pinsider".

Why limit it to just this thread?

#2284 4 years ago

Here are some other interesting domains John has recently registered in august and updated back after expo.

- http://creation6pinball.org
- http://biblepinball.org
- http://creationgames.org

Good themes if you ask me, because his buyers are praying for their games to be made.

Lastly, we have http://pinball1977.com, which was registered on 9/29. "Retro mod shop dedicated to keep the pinball tradition alive and well. From recreating a retro-type pinball game, to illustrating pinball art and designing mods. The future of pinball today!"

#2285 4 years ago

Is there a way my pinside account can just automatically thumbs down any Kaneda posting? I know you can ignore someone, but you still see all their stupidity when others quote them.

Even better, can Robin update the site so if someone gets X amount of thumbs downs in a thread they are automatically kicked out of the thread?

#2286 4 years ago
Quoted from Zaxxis:

Here are some other interesting domains John has recently registered in august and updated back after expo.
- http://creation6pinball.org
- http://biblepinball.org
- http://creationgames.org
Good themes if you ask me, because his buyers are praying for their games to be made.
Lastly, we have http://pinball1977.com, which was registered on 9/29. "Retro mod shop dedicated to keep the pinball tradition alive and well. From recreating a retro-type pinball game, to illustrating pinball art and designing mods. The future of pinball today!"

Bible pinball is Ben Heck's idea too. I've heard him describe that game concept in detail before (at MGC)

#2287 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Even better, can Robin update the site so if someone gets X amount of thumbs downs in a thread they are automatically kicked out of the thread?

That would get abused.

#2288 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Is there a way my pinside account can just automatically thumbs down any Kaneda posting? I know you can ignore someone, but you still see all their stupidity when others quote them.

hmmm... the people on my "ignore" list don't show up when quoted...

#2289 4 years ago
Quoted from Zaxxis:

Looking at the source I think he is doing these sites by hand - they use *tables* for formating!

Clearly a sign he is completely crazy.

#2290 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Can it be longer than a week? Website wide?

#2291 4 years ago

Okay, time to "reveal" some more concerns that you should raise. Particularly those buyers who are NOT in the US....

Four little letters...

RoHS

#2292 4 years ago

I would be shocked if this was granted. First off, seems that pinball2000 had the ball interacting with the display via switches, sensors, etc. (although I guess that is why he is trying to say 'vertical display' to get around that and any pending patents by mulitmorphic that might pre-date this).

Regardless, hard to see this passing the 'non-obvious' requirement given the evolution of pinball the last 20 years. I can easily make the argument that DMDs have been telling a player where to shoot and when a switch is hit the display reacts, what he is trying to patent is clearly just an evolutionary step from that.

#2293 4 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

That would get abused.

I was joking , well, sort of. I guess the booted person could appeal, but if it was being abused, it would probably be for good reason. I guess a better approach, and maybe this happens, is that at X thumbs downs on X posts in a thread, a moderator would be proactively notified.

Quoted from ccotenj:

hmmm... the people on my "ignore" list don't show up when quoted...

I stand corrected, I don't typically ignore people, although maybe I should be doing it more often

#2294 4 years ago

The fact that those pussycatpinball images disappeared hours after someone posting the link pretty much confirms John is reading this thread.

busted.jpg
#2295 4 years ago

I know almost as little about BHZA as you all do. We hashed out some ideas that I won't discuss as I too signed his NDA.

I didn't feel I was very closely involved, so that's why I didn't give a whoop when he changed it.

RE: Tesla, anyone who walked into my office and saw my Tesla backglass hanging on the wall is/was free to "borrow" the idea from me since I did nothing to protect it. I no longer feel it's a strong title for pinball anyway (no license, no sales) increasing my level of not-giving-a-shit.

There's nothing more I can tell you from my end.

#2296 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I know almost as little about BHZA as you all do. We hashed out some ideas that I won't discuss as I too signed his NDA.
I didn't feel I was very closely involved, so that's why I didn't give a whoop when he changed it.
RE: Tesla, anyone who walked into my office and saw my Tesla backglass hanging on the wall is/was free to "borrow" the idea from me since I did nothing to protect it. I no longer feel it's a strong title for pinball anyway (no license, no sales) increasing my level of not-giving-a-shit.

So you think JJPs 3rd game won't sell? No license, no sales? I hope you're wrong about that!

#2297 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Maybe he's not sure what zombies are so he just drew one of everything to increase his chances of having a zombie on the machine?

I hope he's not reading this thread though. The last thing everyone needs is this artwork that has taken so long to be scrapped for a more zombie centric background.

#2298 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Wait, what?? You know it would sell like hotcakes

tesla.jpg
#2299 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

As much as everyone is engaged in this discussion, Ben is right to not share anything he feels is covered by his NDA. Maybe down the road when MG finally ships we can have a "Remember those crazy days waiting for MG to ship?! Share your experience!" thread. I'll enjoy as a reader until 2016.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#2300 4 years ago

You realize all you people talking about Kaneda are worse than he is. For every 1 of his posts there are 10 of you who get your post counts up by making this entire thread about him, or thread banning, or sitewide banning or all kinds of things unrelated to this thread. Just stop and move on, it's been taken care of. I hate having to read entire pages of your bullshit between posts that are actually about Jpop games. There are 3 or 4 of you who should have been banned from this thread for feeding the troll.

And now I hate myself for even having to say this and wasting more space on it, but obviously a lot of you are lacking self awareness just as much as he is.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 229.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Mods for your pinballs
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 24288 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 486.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside