(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,316 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 166 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,696 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sucks (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 458 of 487.
#22851 2 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

thank u have a good day

wonka i see what you did (resized).jpg

#22852 2 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Dude, if your out hiking.....enjoy.....put Pinside AWAY!

It elevates my cardio work out.

#22853 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Houdini is shown in September. The community starts analyzing the hell out of it and it's quickly determined that it's not a game.
Realizing (only now) they've bought a pig in a poke, AP hires Balcer in time for Expo to shore things up. nd new art sample shows LCD being moved.

Your timeline is incorrect. Mr. Balcer was in the room when I went to see the Houdini unveiling; they (the AP people) didn't want me to mention his involvement because they weren't entirely sure what his role was going to be.

#22854 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I was responding to Whysnow's prediction of Jpop's manufacturing capabilities. Your question is absurd to my comment and further proof of your fondness to argue with people.

Why so pissy?

The point was if you make an interesting enough financial case... there is incentive to do things... regardless of any emotional or past issues.

Do you really think Dhaval V. has some emotional attachment to pinball? Or is it simply a business venture.. whose intent is to drive business and opportunity for the parent company?

If JJP could sell a game for 25k, don't you think he'd be tripping over himself to get it out?

The question of 'jpop building himself' is kind of redundant.. he doesn't do it himself.. it's a matter of getting partners involved. It's what got MG built.. and the actions of the collector market in the aftermath will not go unnoticed...

#22855 2 years ago

I will never understand the HYPE. Anyone that ownes one, no matter who, I look at as a loser. Its not a good story. It's just a toxic turd of a machine from a legend in his own mind that fucked up big time. Be proud to own, I don't think so. status symbol? NOT! Is it something to show off? Well I guess you could impress someone that doesn't know the story as you proudly say, look one of only blah blah in the world. And tell them other lies of the great jpop, but if you let them play it I bet they would say "I can see why this game is horrible". Proudly show off in your home? Really?? Its an illusion, a shell of a project at best. If you finish it really won't be jpops work it will be just everyone elses work.

Anyone on here knowing the story and yearning for one, I think is crazy. It's really NOT cool to own it, does nothing for me but make me ill.
To each his own I guess.
As a true pinball fan I will always be more impressed with a fully functional 100℅ working original machine and this is far from that. Magic Turd back yard burning party would be the only thing that would impress me.

If you own one, you are NOT a cool guy trust me.

#22856 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

So while I think John will probably get bailed out yet again, it won't be from AP.

Yeah, but we also need to remember.. AP was 'nothing' before John/MG. It's an entity started out of another man's resource pool that had zero to do with pinball. There are plenty of such resource pools in the world.. and apparently not THAT difficult to convince them they should be making pinball machines

That's the part that baffles me... how they jumped into this without doing their homework.. and frankly why they continued with Houdini vs simply closing down the corp right from the start and cutting the losses.

They started out with the pitch of having a headstart.. only to find out they don't have one... in 'experts' or product/IP. I'm shocked they continued forward honestly.

#22857 2 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Aw come on. Isn't this painting with too broad of a brush?

#22858 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

That's the part that baffles me... how they jumped into this without doing their homework..

Scott worked with JPop on Zizzle, had no issues with him then.

#22859 2 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Scott worked with JPop on Zizzle, had no issues with him then.

There are guys I was close with in High School... that doesn't mean they are the same people now, or that I'd buddy up with them now without checking out what's happened in 25 years. IE: Past relationships without recent context are flimsy.

#22860 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

There are guys I was close with in High School... that doesn't mean they are the same people now, or that I'd buddy up with them now without checking out what's happened in 25 years. IE: Past relationships without recent context are flimsy.

Everything was fine with JPOP and AP as of Sept. 2016. Man, you DO like to argue, don't you?

#22861 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Why so pissy?
The point was if you make an interesting enough financial case... there is incentive to do things... regardless of any emotional or past issues.
Do you really think Dhaval V. has some emotional attachment to pinball? Or is it simply a business venture.. whose intent is to drive business and opportunity for the parent company?
If JJP could sell a game for 25k, don't you think he'd be tripping over himself to get it out?

I think he's a bored rich guy who is doing this to kill some time and I doubt he expects to turn an actual profit anytime soon. I don't think dealing with Jpop hassles (and there are a ton of potential ones from community wrath, legal issues, and just the maddening reality of dealing with Jpop himself) for some kind of "get rich quick" scheme on churning out a few more MGs is going to be too appealing to him, that's not really what this is all about. Pretty small potatoes for a guy like DV, and not a long-term plan that makes any kind of sense.

#22862 2 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Anyone that ownes one, no matter who, I look at as a loser.

This statement is wayyyy over the line dude.

The simple fact of the matter is MG owners took a risk, a huge risk, and for the better part of 5 years thought they totally lost of all of their money with no game to show for it.

Then finally, at the 11th hour, a glimmer of hope appeared with AP and then something actually materialized!

Is it the amazing next coming of Jesus game we had all hoped for? Absolutely not, but the fact of the matter is it's still SOMETHING.

Now there are less than 25 of those "somethings" in existence.

The situation sucks for everyone (MG owners, RAZA/AIW pre-order people, People who worked on the game, and the hobby in general).

But that DOES NOT make anyone who owns one a "loser" so relax a bit...

#22863 2 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Everything was fine with JPOP and AP as of Sept. 2016. Man, you DO like to argue, don't you?

Yes, until the REAL story came to light

#22864 2 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Yes, until the REAL story came to light

Right. Something happened between the time Houdini was unveiled in Vegas and Expo. But that doesn't change what I said to Flynnibus.

#22865 2 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

LOL WUT?

You pointed to Scott trusting JPOP based on a business relationship from over a decade ago. They worked together with Zizzle... Zizzle was a decade ago.

And trying to borrow other people's attempts at insults is lamer than the first guy.

#22866 2 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

This statement is wayyyy over the line dude.

It's a blatant and textbook example of a "personal attack on other Pinsiders" as per the Pinside community rules. Pinside reaps what it sows.

#22867 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

LOL WUT?
You pointed to Scott trusting JPOP based on a business relationship from over a decade ago. They worked together with Zizzle... Zizzle was a decade ago.
And trying to borrow other people's attempts at insults is lamer than the first guy.

Let me help with your reading comprehension:

- I asked Scott why on earth he'd want anything to do with JPOP given his Zidware fiasco
- Scott replied "I worked with him at Zizzle, he's a good guy" (heavily paraphrased but you get the point)
- This discussion took place September 2016

Get it now?

#22868 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think he's a bored rich guy who is doing this to kill some time and I doubt he expects to turn an actual profit anytime soon.

I think they are a component manufacturer who were looking to drive business for their company and as a way to showcase their manufacturing capabilities (and why they went to promote at an industry show for their 'launch'). Instead of just building one project on contract... how about building and selling more of said projects... Seems like an business case.. until you learn your jump start is a flake tied up in legal entanglements.

#22869 2 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Let me help with your reading comprehension:
- I asked Scott why on earth he'd want anything to do with JPOP given his Zidware fiasco
- Scott replied "I worked with him at Zizzle, he's a good guy" (heavily paraphrased but you get the point)
- This discussion took place September 2016
Get it now?

I know what you reported he said back then. My comment doesn't change.. nor the follow-up to that. Scott's conclusions in Sept 2016... are just as insane then, as they are now. Their history from Zizzle in the mid 2000's isn't really representative of JPOP in 2016... might have been a good idea for him to check that out before getting in bed with him again a decade later.

#22870 2 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

Thanks Nick! I took a look through the pictures and added some comments to a couple.
Basically, it would appear that the game does contain GLM hardware, boards that GLM was contracted to design and manufacture, plus redesigns of boards that GLM was contracted to design and manufacture.
I can provide more clarity on what GLM might have been involved with (and might be able to provide support for) if more detailed pictures of all the PCB's are posted.
Thanks again, Nick!
[email protected]

Thanks Tony! I'll try to get better pics of the small boards under the playfield and post them

#22871 2 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Anyone that ownes one, no matter who, I look at as a loser. Its not a good story.

No, it's not a good story at all. But your perception isn't too good either. Obviously there are a few that are quite to themselves about owning one. Anyone who paid $16K for this, waited the 5-6 agonizing years, and now has the machine seems to be more of a winner?

You consider them to personally be a loser? Maybe you meant "loser" in a different context than we are reading? Like they ending up losing even though they got a machine?

#22872 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I know what you reported he said back then. My comment doesn't change.. nor the follow-up to that. Scott's conclusions in Sept 2016... are just as insane then, as they are now. Their history from Zizzle in the mid 2000's isn't really representative of JPOP in 2016... might have been a good idea for him to check that out before getting in bed with him again a decade later.

You're determined, I'll give you that.

#22873 2 years ago

The Magic Girl fiasco might be painful for some, but not a good story? This has the makings of a book. Hmm.

#22874 2 years ago

Somewhat back on topic...honestly, how much demand is there really for these machines? If there were more of them available how many people would pay 10K?, 20K?, 30K? To me this machine is a novelty. It seems to me the pool of buyers with the money, space, and interest would be quite low. What would you pay for a Magic Girl?

#22875 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

AP was 'nothing' before John/MG. It's an entity started out of another man's resource pool that had zero to do with pinball

They did get a LOT of attention quick, can't deny that. However, if they simply hired Balcer (or any existing pinball designer other than JPOP) from the get-go, I think they'd have nearly the same attention but be 9 months ahead of the game. Unlike other startups out of basements, AP actually has financial backing.

#22876 2 years ago

You think there is a shortage of rich people to throw money at shit? For the right guy, fixing this for Jpop is chump change

It's obvious right?

AP isn't the only option in the world. Unfortunately or whatever the case may be, John and his brand of pins isn't going away, especially now.

It's just a question of who and when, not if imo

#22877 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You think there is a shortage of rich people to throw money at shit? For the right guy, fixing this for Jpop is chump change
It's obvious right?
AP isn't the only option in the world. Unfortunately or whatever the case may be, John and his brand of pins isn't going away, especially now.

If I drank this would be a good drinking game. Every time you post the imo we take a shot.

Welcome back from the time out. Let's keep moving forward positive

#22878 2 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

If I drank this would be a good drinking game. Every time you post the imo we take a shot.

Wooo man! Alcohol poisoning ahoy!!

#22879 2 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

I will never understand the HYPE. Anyone that ownes one, no matter who, I look at as a loser. Its not a good story. It's just a toxic turd of a machine from a legend in his own mind that fucked up big time. Be proud to own, I don't think so. status symbol? NOT! Is it something to show off? Well I guess you could impress someone that doesn't know the story as you proudly say, look one of only blah blah in the world. And tell them other lies of the great jpop, but if you let them play it I bet they would say "I can see why this game is horrible". Proudly show off in your home? Really?? Its an illusion, a shell of a project at best. If you finish it really won't be jpops work it will be just everyone elses work.
Anyone on here knowing the story and yearning for one, I think is crazy. It's really NOT cool to own it, does nothing for me but make me ill.
To each his own I guess.
As a true pinball fan I will always be more impressed with a fully functional 100℅ working original machine and this is far from that. Magic Turd back yard burning party would be the only thing that would impress me.

He wants one..

#22880 2 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

To each his own I guess.

I can vouch for fatrain, he is a righteous dude.

#22881 2 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Welcome back from the time out. Let's keep moving forward positive

What time out? My self imposed

I don't think there is a shortage of opinions on this topic!

At the end of the day doesn't have to be about getting all butthurt because somebody doesn't agree with somebody else

As a pinball community, we all ought to be looking out for each other but I understand the differences

On a positive note, I'll consider the possibility that Jpop can find someone else to complete Raza and Aiw and whatever else he wants to do

The naysayers can hope for otherwise. Either way it work out at the end of the day

#22882 2 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

To each his own I guess.

I tend to agree but perhaps not so strongly Same type of people who think a Delorean is a cool car. No, its a piece of shit!

#22884 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

What time out? My self imposed
I don't think there is a shortage of opinions on this topic!
At the end of the day doesn't have to be about getting all butthurt because somebody doesn't agree with somebody else
As a pinball community, we all ought to be looking out for each other but I understand the differences
On a positive note, I'll consider the possibility that Jpop can find someone else to complete Raza and Aiw and whatever else he wants to do
The naysayers can hope for otherwise. Either way it work out at the end of the day

U were given a one hour thread eject on the last page but it's not shown anymore.. no worries

#22885 2 years ago

That wasn't Doug. But welcome back, Doug. I need the R&R myself sometimes.

#22886 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

That wasn't Doug. But welcome back, Doug. I need the R&R myself sometimes.

Ok my bad

#22887 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It's obvious right?

Regardless of how much money someone makes, very few people want to squander it. If it was a well conceived, complete game that was rare for a reason like Big Bang Bar it's a completely different story than Magic Girl -a machine slapped together to try and escape a prison sentence. I think this game will go down as an embarrassing sideline in pinball history. Its worth more right now than it ever will be again simply because people are amazed it came out.

#22888 2 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

Regardless of how much money someone makes, very few people want to squander it. If it was a well conceived, complete game that was rare for a reason like Big Bang Bar it's a completely different story than Magic Girl -a machine slapped together to try and escape a prison sentence. I think this game will go down as an embarrassing sideline in pinball history. Its worth more right now than it ever will be again simply because people are amazed it came out.

I understand what you are saying. However, he now has a track record of people wanting to buy his limited edition pins, no matter how bad state of affairs is, for $30k plus.

That's what all the jumping up and down and hollering is about and why so many people think its justified due to the "collectibility", "limited" etc.. Thus, some mega wealthy dude might jump in and do it for fun, considering there is a market established for his shit. That's not that hard to figure out.

I'm sure his camp is working hard on exploiting that. Wouldn't you?

If Jpop came out right now and said I'm going to sell 20 of the zombie chick bowling pins and asked for a $10k deposit and a $17k price tag, how many people do you think would sign up?

Gonna buy MG for $30k and not Zombie bowling for $17k to have another "piece of history"? I wouldn't, nor would many but like so many of you guys keep saying, there are plenty of "collectors" that would. The evidence is in.

#22889 2 years ago

If Jpop is going to make more pins, I think it should be RAZA, because it's angry RAZA customers who are about to force Jpop into bankruptcy proceedings, any moment now. Indeed, Jpop might want to make an announcement...

He says he will make RAZA next, and IMO this would be a good thing, as it's the only way Jpop might dig himself out of this mess. Regardless of the other problems, Jpop is a great, quirky designer, with a history of some great games, and this is a draw for customers. It was for me and many others back in 2011.

The other reason making RAZA would be good is because IMO it's the only way people will get their money back.

Just some thoughts..

#22890 2 years ago

Phew what a day. MG arrived late morning, and is now set up and 'working'. I'll continue the pre-flight check tomorrow.

Martin is reviewing MG next Tuesday

For the first time I kept the box a pinball came in. Is this really necessary, or would just the cardboard panel that contains the serial number etc be adequate? It's a lot of cardboard! Also kept the foam/cardboard pieces for now. What is the etiquette for this for rare games? Space is my main challenge and reason for asking...

#22891 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

Phew what a day. MG arrived late morning, and is now set up and 'working'. I'll continue the pre-flight check tomorrow.
For the first time I kept the box a pinball came in. Is this really necessary, or would just the cardboard panel that contains the serial number etc be adequate? It's a lot of cardboard! Also kept the foam/cardboard pieces for now. What is the etiquette for this for rare games? Space is my main challenge and reason for asking...

Try putting the box on eBay and see how you do!

#22892 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

To take a complete detour from this rest of this thread I would just like to say....

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR NEW GAME!

#22893 2 years ago

Keep the box until you no longer have room for it and toss it later if you decide you don't need it. Either way, Congratulations on receiving the game!

#22894 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

What # machine is yours?

#22895 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I understand what you are saying. However, he now has a track record of people wanting to buy his limited edition pins, no matter how bad state of affairs is, for $30k plus.
That's what all the jumping up and down and hollering is about and why so many people think its justified due to the "collectibility", "limited" etc.. Thus, some mega wealthy dude might jump in and do it for fun, considering there is a market established for his shit. That's not that hard to figure out.
I'm sure his camp is working hard on exploiting that. Wouldn't you?
If Jpop came out right now and said I'm going to sell 20 of the zombie chick bowling pins and asked for a $10k deposit and a $17k price tag, how many people do you think would sign up?
Gonna buy MG for $30k and not Zombie bowling for $17k to have another "piece of history"? I wouldn't, nor would many but like so many of you guys keep saying, there are plenty of "collectors" that would. The evidence is in.

He got lucky with ap.. luck will not strike twice.. raza will never get done... and no one will give him money again. No one had to give him more money for mg to get done like they will on raza... anyway I don't want to keep beating this drum. U will keep doing it

#22896 2 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

raza will never get done...

Hah! I was told Magic Girl would never get done...NEVER, EVER! Without a doubt!! Now we hear this.....NOTHING is for certain....duh!

#22897 2 years ago

In the collectibles market, keeping boxes always adds value - it's just a shame they are so big!!

#22898 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

For the first time I kept the box a pinball came in. Is this really necessary, or would just the cardboard panel that contains the serial number etc be adequate?

Well, the box might play better than the actual machine does

#22899 2 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

Well, the box might play better than the actual machine does

Hahahaha!

#22900 2 years ago

When is the next court date so I know when to check back in with this thread? Still amazed that The Sticks, MI has better records availability than Chicago does.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 625.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 458 of 487.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside