New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,335 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 164 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,697 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 3.39.04 PM (resized).png
sucks (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24335 posts in this topic. You are on page 439 of 487.
#21901 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

It would be cheaper (and faster) to ship a person from the UK than a pin to the UK.
What if a MG owner (near a major airport) hosted Apple for a week to work on the game, and all of the owners crowd-sourced payment and the plane ticket?

I want my own game, here in the UK. Simple.

#21902 3 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

No, it has nothing to do with cereal, but are you going to go after Kelloggs because they use a name that "might" upset your child? Nah, didn't thinks so.

of course not, because they aren't referring to special needs children, like you are.

Quoted from vdojaq:

You sir, also have no clue as to what my intentions are or were.

uh ... sure i do. are you seriously going to pretend the true meaning of your "special k" nickname is shrouded in mystery? i think you and i are both smarter than that.

#21903 3 years ago

Ok , it appears that the Gaunlet has been accepted. We will work out the when and how.

I do plan on making some specific comments. However, I will be civil as it is not my show. I do plan on discussing MG with him and anything else that may come up. I am open to any question(S) any of you may want me to ask, so PM me. Do not put things here, it will only get deleted.

#21904 3 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

of course not, because they aren't referring to special needs children, like you are.

uh ... sure i do. are you seriously going to pretend the true meaning of your "special k" nickname is shrouded in mystery? haha.

I am going to ask you a very specific yes or no question. Yes or no are the only 2 possible answers. Do you believe that I am calling him Special K specifically to demean special needs children?

#21905 3 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

good luck with that

#21906 3 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

you and i and everyone else know your insult has zero to do with the cereal. you are referring to special needs kids.

Jesus... how do you make it through an entire day without getting offended at nearly everything you see/hear/read?

The first definition returned by Google for "special" is "better, greater, or otherwise different from what is usual".

Outside of the "Special Olympics", the word "special" doesn't even appear on: http://www.globaldownsyndrome.org/about-down-syndrome/words-can-hurt/

#21907 3 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

I am going to ask you a very specific yes or no question. Yes or no are the only 2 possible answers. Do you believe that I am calling him Special K specifically to demean special needs children?

no, i don't think you intended to insult special needs kids. you intended to take a little jab at Kaneda. i'm simply trying to point out the (unintentional) collateral damage caused by using special needs kids as shorthand for a person who is a dopey socially stunted liar. your intention wasn't to stigmatize kids who already have it pretty rough, but lack of intent doesn't exonerate you if you persist in doing so even after it's been explained.

#21908 3 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Send Ben and John by container ship (along with the raw materials) to the UK to help you build your own Magic Girl!

were_so_british (resized).jpg

#21909 3 years ago

take it to pm omg get a room. please.

#21910 3 years ago
Quoted from guyincognito:

Jesus... how do you make it through an entire day without getting offended at nearly everything you see/hear/read?
The first definition returned by Google for "special" is "better, greater, or otherwise different from what is usual".
Outside of the "Special Olympics", the word "special" doesn't even appear on: http://www.globaldownsyndrome.org/about-down-syndrome/words-can-hurt/

so your argument is that vdojaq was intending to call Kaneda "better, greater, or otherwise different from what is usual"? again, we all know what the nickname was referring to. going through semantic gymnastics to try to pretend his meaning is a mystery is a waste of keystrokes.

#21911 3 years ago

4 pages later, and you guys are still going at that?
I can't speak for everyone, but holy cow, take it to PM. Let folks talk about MG here.

#21912 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

FWIW I had thought the Special K comment was directly/ originally coined based on either the breakfast food or the slang name for ketamine.
I never once thought it as an insult or regarding mental faculties.
Just sayin', the world is open to broad interpretation and intent is often hard to read.
I personally think it is a funny ass nickname and guessing he will embrace it.
On the side note, I am happy we all get a glimpse at what this game offers and if it took him spending 20k to get the game and garner the attention then so be it. Self serving but also one of the cooler things he has done.
Keep in mind he also took it on as an investment. That is what he seems to do and after the attention wears off I am sure it will be sold.

If you were sitting with a large table of friends and someone said "Hey, I know you did not mean anything derogatory by your comment, but I want to let you know that the use of that term offends me.".

Would you continue to use it in front of that person?

#21913 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I can't speak for everyone, but holy cow, take it to PM. Let folks talk about MG here.

OK, let's talk about it. What do you have to say about MG?

#21914 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

That's not how virtue signalling works. You have to do it in front of everyone for it to be effective.

#21915 3 years ago

download (resized).jpg

#21916 3 years ago

"Your rights end where my feelings begin."

#21917 3 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

I think its clear that its a term that has complex derogatory origins. I think comparing him to a crispy cereal or a drug that produces emotional and sensory katonic state seems unlikely.

For those defending it a 'special' as 'unique'. That still has a dotted line and clear intent to mean mentally challenged. Pretending that's not the case just isn't mature. Special K is slang for 'Special Kid, specifically to those in Special education programs, which includes those with behavioral, learning, or disciplinary problems' when used in a derogatory manner. When discussing cereal or drugs, the other meanings are easily applied.

#21918 3 years ago

Hey folks...fascinating thread, but if you want to get into a pissing match about nicknames or insulting each other please dear lord take it to PMs. There are a half dozen pages of posts filled with useless posts. This thread should be on fire with posts about the game that finally saw some light of day, not about name calling.

#21919 3 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

This thread should be on fire

87278-the-simpsons-movie-angry-mob-wallpaper (resized).jpg

#21920 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

FWIW I had thought the Special K comment was directly/ originally coined based on either the breakfast food or the slang name for ketamine.

100% this, I thought it was the slang name for ketamine they were applying for a laugh (like they were trying to call him a crack head or something similar). Anyone who connects Special K to the "Special Ed" students as Pez describes them (I'm not even sure that term is even used to described that sector of a student body anymore...nor has it for some time...at least fifteen years) is making a bigger stretch than applying Special K to, well, Special K as it is known today...a slang name for ketamine.

#21921 3 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

no, i don't think you intended to insult special needs kids. you intended to take a little jab at Kaneda. i'm simply trying to point out the (unintentional) collateral damage caused by using special needs kids as shorthand for a person who is a dopey socially stunted liar. your intention wasn't to stigmatize kids who already have it pretty rough, but lack of intent doesn't exonerate you if you persist in doing so even after it's been explained.

If you are intelligent enough to rationalize that I have no intentions to demean ANYONE who is characterized as a special needs child, then you a certainly able to realize that there is no collateral damage being caused here. And just because it has been explained, doesn't mean I have to accept it. I disagree with the explanations, and choose to continue on as I have been. If people are outraged over the term Special K, I would hate to have seen all of the uproar if I had called him Fruit Loops.

#21922 3 years ago

How is the poster formally known as K*****a banned for life, but this crap keeps popping up in what should be one of the most exciting threads ever on pinside? People have waited 5 years for this pin, its here, and all I have seen for the past three days is bickering back and forth. Isnt this why him he shall never be named got banned?

#21923 3 years ago
Quoted from VacFink:

For those defending it a 'special' as 'unique'. That still has a dotted line and clear intent to mean mentally challenged.

"Special" is a case where textbooks say one thing that is still objectively correct but popular interpretation and intent have evolved, if only within a cultural construct.

As another example: I doubt if The Flinstones was written today, they would use the line "...they'll have a gay ol' time!" Or maybe they would, but the intended meaning & interpretation would certainly be different given modern popular colloquialism: These days when someone says "He's so gay!", it's rarely meant as "He's so happy!"

Same with "special", although maybe to a lesser degree. My kids are special to me and everyone else and it has nothing to do with their abilities or lack thereof.

#21924 3 years ago
Quoted from forensicd:

How is the poster formally known as K*****a banned for life, but this crap keeps popping up in what should be one of the most exciting threads ever on pinside? People have waited 5 years for this pin, its here, and all I have seen for the past three days is bickering back and forth. Isnt this why him he shall never be named got banned?

He bought his way back in. $20 "k" is a lot of clams. That's what makes him special.

#21925 3 years ago

FWIW I had thought that the Special K comment was directly referring to people with developmental disabilities

#21926 3 years ago

What the fuck is wrong with some of you people??

#21927 3 years ago

I am thinking the same thing

#21928 3 years ago

1 (resized).jpg

#21929 3 years ago

It's funny that even in a thread that isn't supposed to be about K_____ it is still about K______

#21930 3 years ago

So, how about that Magic Girl?

#21931 3 years ago
Quoted from mkecasey:

So much potential, 'til she was drowned in a bowl of Special K.

...I'll see myself out

#21932 3 years ago
Quoted from mkecasey:

It sucks. Stern's worst game of the past five years is better. You pick which one and I'll tell you why it's better.

#21933 3 years ago
Quoted from damageinc55:

It sucks. Stern's worst game of the past five years is better. You pick which one and I'll tell you why it's better.

I don't disagree with you, I just want to see it done.

Pick your favorite of WWE or Pabst.

#21934 3 years ago
Quoted from damageinc55:

wwe

#21935 3 years ago

Interesting enough, I wonder why there isn't any discussion of how surprising this was. I don't see it as redemption for JP but will say it seemed like everyone had written this off to a much more bitter end.

I wonder if we'll be surprised later to see the rest of the games created. Also curious to see if this means anything to those who didn't pay in full. I imagine some may be out almost the full cost and stopped because of the lack of communication or response.

#21936 3 years ago

All of the features on the playfield mechanically work.

#21937 3 years ago
Quoted from VacFink:

Interesting enough, I wonder why there isn't any discussion of how surprising this was. I don't see it as redemption for JP but will say it seemed like everyone had written this off to a much more bitter end.
I wonder if we'll be surprised later to see the rest of the games created. Also curious to see if this means anything to those who didn't pay in full. I imagine some may be out almost the full cost and stopped because of the lack of communication or response.

If they are, they won't be by JPop.

I was under the impression MG's were all completely paid for?

#21938 3 years ago
Quoted from VacFink:

Interesting enough, I wonder why there isn't any discussion of how surprising this was.

People are still in shock from the TBL situation.

#21939 3 years ago
Quoted from mkecasey:

by and large.

Art looks great, execution looks aweful. Appears very Jpop-esce with floaty windy ramps. Looks like it never made it through a full design phase and too many limitations post crash to be able to modify and make it actually play well. Appears poorly conctructed, shoddy print quality, cheap plastics, and things that are better in thought that reality.

Looks like it will be a collectible for the 1% of pinball collectors and guessing the other 99% would enjoy playing one for the experience, but it wont actually be much fun.

Bigger picture and question is what does this mean for those still owed $$$$$ and games from Jpop? How does thi impact legal matters (ongoing and potential/likely future)? What are the next steps and will people take them before it is too late?

#21940 3 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

What the fuck is wrong with some of you people??

That kid down the street got a better toy than I do! *stomps on ground*

#21941 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

People are still in shock from the TBL situation.

I gotta say my expectations for how Q1 in pinball would play out literally happened in the opposite. I expected TBL to ship out to the owners and MG to just never exist.

#21942 3 years ago

I just learned who Matt Andrews is, and sounds like he had no problem dealing with John or getting paid. Interesting. In my opinion his artwork is the best I've seen to date on a pinball machine. Hope to see a lot more.

#21943 3 years ago
Quoted from BD_Designs:

Haha yeah I know about that story too. Honestly though, it shouldn't matter to anyone what he does with his own money. He earned it.

Just imagine how great Pinside would be if everyone agreed with (and complied with) that little statement.............

#21944 3 years ago
Quoted from robin:

I'm a real easy-going guy and not the type to hold grudges. But there are limits to what I can deal with and Kaneda has well exceeded those limits. His past behaviour on this forum has been nothing short of toxic.
I have asked the moderators to remove any discussion regarding him or his Pinside membership status. Please respect that request and refrain from discussing him or his podcast on Pinside. Thank you.

Seems a few folks missed this post from Robin.

#21945 3 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Just in case everyone missed this post from Robin.

That's going to keep the moderators pretty busy. Are any present at the moment?

#21947 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

100% this, I thought it was the slang name for ketamine they were applying for a laugh (like they were trying to call him a crack head or something similar). Anyone who connects Special K to the "Special Ed" students as Pez describes them (I'm not even sure that term is even used to described that sector of a student body anymore...nor has it for some time...at least fifteen years) is making a bigger stretch than applying Special K to, well, Special K as it is known today...a slang name for ketamine.

I read it as "special" as in "snowflake", not as in "mentally handicapped" or drug-related.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=special%20snowflake

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Snowflake

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/2hloa7/what_is_the_worst_case_of_special_snowflake

It was meant as a dig at he-who-shall-not-be-named and the perception that he went way outside the norm to get some attention.

#21948 3 years ago
Quoted from gtxjoe:

FWIW I had thought that the Special K comment was directly referring to people with developmental disabilities

FWIW, I didn't.

He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named probably does have developmental disabilities, but they're on an entirely different set of pages in the DSM-5 guidebook.

But then again... don't we all?

I enjoy listening to his podcast, because they're interesting (the ones where he doesn't personally insult/harass people --- those are extremely cringe-worthy and I don't listen to those or skip through them) and he does a decent job of "reporting the news", so I can catch up on Pinside/pinball while out walking, on the bus or doing yard work.

Right now he's the dorky kid at school who's mom got him the cool new video game system for Christmas, and everyone wants to be friends with him.

(Full disclosure: I was that dorky kid.)

#21949 3 years ago
Quoted from guyincognito:

But then again... don't we all?
I enjoy listening to his podcast

Apparently you do.

#21950 3 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

....he had no problem dealing with John or getting paid. Interesting. In my opinion his artwork is the best I've seen to date on a pinball machine. Hope to see a lot more.

You do know that John is not the artist, correct? I mean, it's only been said here about 100 times. Zombie Yeti is the artist - and if you look back you will see that he was not compensated completely for his contribution. Oh, and if you want to see more of his work - check out Ghostbusters.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Tulsa, OK
$ 229.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
Machine - For Sale
Williamsport, PA
There are 24335 posts in this topic. You are on page 439 of 487.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside