(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,288 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 168 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,694 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png
B3F72CE8-1FCA-4E93-9994-CCC068D8F4C2 (resized).jpeg
7A86BB52-E1F5-4086-955C-86A6383C27D3 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

21 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24288 posts in this topic. You are on page 43 of 486.
#2101 4 years ago

Has anyone/company taken preorder money for 3 pinballs simultaneously before?

#2102 4 years ago

in·vest
verb: invest; 3rd person present: invests; past tense: invested; past participle: invested; gerund or present participle: investing

To expend money with the expectation of achieving a profit or material result by putting it into financial schemes, shares, or property, or by using it to develop a commercial venture.

To devote (one's time, effort, or energy) to a particular undertaking with the expectation of a worthwhile result.

To buy (something) whose usefulness will repay the cost.

#2103 4 years ago
Quoted from rs812:

I keep reading over and over the description of this situation as an "investment" in Zidware. My question is, how exactly is any of this considered an "investment?" Is it because the games will presumably quadruple in value, if and when they are released, due to their rarity?
I don't see anywhere where stock or interests in the company Zidware have been bought, sold, or traded. But for the presumed immediate appreciation in value of these games upon release, how is sending money off to purchase a game in any way, shape, or form an "investment?".
I have purchased NIB games on several occasions, but I have never considered it an "investment" in stern. It was simply a transaction for the purchase of goods. I paid, they delivered. The best I can tell, a very important part of the bargained for exchange of goods herein appears to missing.

This post is a bit ridiculous, off topic, and misses the point. It's amazing to me how so many people on Pinside now get so completely hung up on the word "investment".

It's pretty simple, really. Anyone who paid money into this project (on a pre-order basis as nothing was built yet) is invested in it's success. Whether they intended to make money or not is of zero relevance to this fact. The payoff would be receiving the pin.

#2104 4 years ago
Quoted from wdpvideo:

Wouldn't you be if you had that much cash on the line?

I have more than a brand new car worth of cash invested and that's the reason why I am not silent on the blog.

#2105 4 years ago

Where is PDXMonkey on here with an update, didn't he fly out to the reveal yesterday?
Who else went?

#2106 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

This post is a bit ridiculous, off topic, and misses the point. It's amazing to me how so many people on Pinside now get so completely hung up on the word "investment".
It's pretty simple, really. Anyone who paid money into this project (on a pre-order basis as nothing was built yet) is invested in it's success. Whether they intended to make money or not is of zero relevance to this fact.

That's why is asked it as a question, rather than a statement. Now I remember why I have avoided posting on pinside for some time.

Carry on.

#2107 4 years ago

So, for those of you who have seen the MG "reveal".... there is no finished game shown? Or game at all?

#2108 4 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Has anyone/company taken preorder money for 3 pinballs simultaneously before?

I have a better "?" who in their right mind would buy into 3 pre-order before getting the first one that was over a year past due?

#2109 4 years ago
Quoted from slapshot:

Where is PDXMonkey on here with an update, didn't he fly out to the reveal yesterday?
Who else went?

He bailed on the thread because of too much negativity.

#2110 4 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Does a watermark show up if u take a screen shot from ur phone lol...

I don't know. I don't know enough about digital watermarks. Probably not but then you need to worry about exif metadata from your camera.

There's nothing even worth leaking in my opinion.

#2111 4 years ago
Quoted from rs812:

That's why is asked it as a question, rather than a statement. Now I remember why I have avoided posting on pinside for some time.
Carry on.

Seems like you made plenty of statements in your rant.

Carry on.

#2112 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

I wish Aurich was in on this project, only so he'd light up the blog.

lol. Feel free to steal from my rants, I'll be your ghostwriter.

It doesn't sound like he's really listening to the blog though. Are most people here RAZA buyers? I know MG is super limited, but I can't remember the new number after it was increased. Is it still less than 20?

It's sad that it's come to this for me, because in theory Jpop is espousing the ideals that I hold dear in pinball. Original hand drawn art, unlicensed themes, fantasy and magic and monsters, bright colors, creativity. It's easy to see why people were seduced by the siren call.

Not to bag on the other boutique games out there, but none of them have had really high quality art production. It's the one thing missing still. It's one of the reasons TBL was so exciting, the playfield was like "woah, I've been missing this for so long!".

And I feel like that what you all wanted too. It's the only thing he's shown that's kept you in for so long, right? And it's not like TOTAN and TOM are known for being having incredible rules. Both fun, but flawed.

#2113 4 years ago
Quoted from wdpvideo:

I have a better "?" who in their right mind would buy into 3 pre-order before getting the first one that was over a year past due?

You a smart man

#2114 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

I don't know. I don't know enough about digital watermarks. Probably not but then you need to worry about exif metadata from your camera.

Digital watermarks, EXIF data, all that stuff is easy to defeat. John isn't some master cryptographer. Unless that's why he hasn't built your games, he's been too busy developing a new system to track leaked images ...

Seriously, if he's even using something (and I wouldn't be shocked to find out it was a lie to scare you) it's going to be a commercial package like Digimarc. And those really aren't hard to defeat. You might degrade the image quality just slightly doing so, but in this case who cares.

Furthermore, there's no way he's custom serving a different watermarked image to every account on the fly so he can track individuals who are leaking things. You're talking about a guy with 10 different broken websites, it's just not happening.

#2115 4 years ago

What exactly are people expecting to see? People with preorders are actively trying to get out of it so there can't be too much to see.

#2116 4 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

What exactly are people expecting to see? People with preorders are actively trying to get out of it so there can't be too much to see.

Expecting to see? Or wanting to see?

Big difference.

I think many were not expecting to see a major kick ass "Lebowski effect" reveal of a completed/fully functioning prototype of MG, but I think we were all really wanting to have those expectations proven wrong.

This thread would have a completely different feel to it if there was a kick ass "reveal" of MG.

#2117 4 years ago

John seems to care about his stature amongst pinball designers, I can't understand how he can be oblivious to a thread of over 2,000 posts on pinside ripping him apart.

I guess you can write it off as "haters" but there are a ton of disappointed customers here.

#2118 4 years ago

I really shouldn't comment this much in this thread since I have no financial vestment. I think John has such a high level of standard after building 3 great tables for williams, so he feels like it has to match or exceed that. The more time he spends on it, he builds up the expectation even higher (well, if he's worked on it for 4 years, it MUST be awesome!). Problem is, the expectation is so high at this point, nothing can possibly match that expectation. It's like when duke nukem FINALLY got released, everyone thought it HAD to be good, and it pretty much bombed. And I'll bet John thinks about this too, so he feels like he needs to step up his own work, and then the lebowski pin shows up and looks so polished and plays so good, and he's probably now thinking to himself (well, if a couple of new dutch pinball designers can build something this good for $8500, I need to make magic girl twice as good since I'm charging twice as much.

This just feels like a slippery slope, and from reading from customers it seems like most are willing to settle for anything at this point because their fear is either this project is never going to get done, he's going to run out of money, or god forbid he ends up dying.

#2120 4 years ago

knowing what we've learned over the last 4 years.. is there a huge question why he isn't working somewhere else right now? His personality/perfectionist/disorganization might be well known behind the scenes and hence why job offers don't fly at him all the time.

Quoted from frolic:

John seems to care about his stature amongst pinball designers, I can't understand how he can be oblivious to a thread of over 2,000 posts on pinside ripping him apart.
I guess you can write it off as "haters" but there are a ton of disappointed customers here.

#2121 4 years ago

I am risking getting some negatives on this post, but there is a way to obtain answers and perhaps move things off of dead center. Lodge a consumer complaint with the Illinois Attorney General.

It's free to do and will get Zidware's attention. You have paid money, have no product and no information. It appears that Zidware is operating a Ponzi type financing scheme but who knows? There is no product coming out the door and no reported schedule other than the original passed date.

Zidware is required to keep books and will have to show them to the AG.

Your name can be withheld from the complaint by request so that Zidware will not know who lodged the complaint. Multiple complaints will accelerate AG action.

http://www.illinoisattorneygeneral.gov/consumers/filecomplaint.html

#2122 4 years ago

For 150-200 game boutique I think his patent spending and lawyer fees probably are off the charts... Something he most likely didn't need to do.

#2123 4 years ago

My understanding is that there are several assembled MG's (not sure about code status)
I have talked to someone who has been to his shop recently.

#2124 4 years ago
Quoted from minnesota13:

I am risking getting some negatives on this post, but there is a way to obtain answers and perhaps move things off of dead center. Lodge a consumer complaint with the Illinois Attorney General.
It's free to do and will get Zidware's attention. You have paid money, have no product and no information. It appears that Zidware is operating a Ponzi type financing scheme but who knows? There is no product coming out the door and no reported schedule other than the original passed date.
Zidware is required to keep books and will have to show them to the AG.
Your name can be withheld from the complaint by request so that Zidware will not know who lodged the complaint. Multiple complaints will accelerate AG action.
http://www.illinoisattorneygeneral.gov/consumers/filecomplaint.html

It's not a Ponzi scheme, he's working towards building a game.. He's spent money doing so... He's just not getting it done timely and to his agreed time frame

#2125 4 years ago

The patent idea looks sweet, but pinball patents are super lame. What's good for pinball should be good for everyone in pinball. I believe Old man Gottlieb said something like that, and Gottlieb ruled the roost under his direction.

#2126 4 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Is there anyone out there that has gotten to the point they would rather him throw in the towel and refund whatever is left of money to everyone? Or is that too far? I.e., would rather let him proceed to conclusion, with the risks as they are?

Usually when deals like this with start ups don't pan out there is no money to get back at the end of the line...it has normally all been spent on salaries. Does anyone know what JPop pays himself out of Zidware? After four years that may have added up to a large figure...just in his salary.

#2127 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

...... but there are a ton of disappointed customers here.

Hey, I got a shirt so far.

RAZA.jpg

#2128 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Hey Chris, Jpops ego is too huge to be oblivious to all of this, I would bet he is following this closely.
In the last few days the blog has been lit up with over a dozen reality checking comments and questions aimed directly at him. He cannot ignore these concerns any longer if he wants to see another dime.
There is a ton of negative speculation, but with good reason and without Jpop clearing any of it up it is making matters much worse. Delays are one thing but if he has blown all of the money on useless patents and lawyers and countless revised art drawings and without knowing how or when he will produce them....
I was hoping PDXMonkey would share what he has learned from his visit yesterday to shed some light.

#2129 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

After four years that may have added up to a large figure...just in his salary.

Add in four years rent and utilities for his facility, tools and other expenses for obtaining patents via attorneys, his various web sites and artist fees, could add up to a tidy sum expended.

#2130 4 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

RAZA.jpg 46 KB

I'm gonna take a shit in my shirt and mail it back to him.

#2131 4 years ago

I just posted this on his blog

John, in light of the MG reveal, I think you need to re-read your own post. In particular, these 2 quotes:

So I coined a new term…..The Lebowski Effect – “The outcome of showing a new game concept, exactly and early on, in it’s entirety to the masses to create surprise, comradely and extreme happiness”

I stood here (exactly in the photo) watching as they rolled out a rug (I have not seen the movie yet) and then proceeded to watch them setup the game, plug it in and walk away. For sure it was the most popular attraction at the event next to the food, and the beer fridge. The game had ball hangers, you had to hake it and the code crashed and rebooted. But no one cared.

After the expo “Lebowski effect” that you saw first hand, how they owned the show. You were going to do your own MG “lebowski” reveal this week (on a rug). It did not have the same outcome. There are 2,000 posts on pinside talking about it.

We went by what you told us, expectations were set, as well as numerous requests these past 2 months for timetables and various answer (which you did say you would answer, but later ignored).

This could have gone different. Right now your customers are feeling pretty bummed.

#2132 4 years ago

frolic is dropping the hammer

#2133 4 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

RAZA.jpg 46 KB

You need to write in the blurb on the T shirt-
"I bought a pinball from Zidware 3 years ago and all I got was this lousy t-shirt"

#2134 4 years ago
Quoted from Shrub_Light:

LOL!

#2135 4 years ago

DISCLAIMER: I have already written off the money I sent to Jpop for RAZA.

Out of principle alone, I'm pretty much done. Frankly, I'm wavering between two ends of the spectrum. On the one hand, drain this topic and forget about this "investment" for a couple years, only to come back in 2016 to see if things have progressed at all. Or saying F' it and round up people to "get our money back," whatever that means. I don't "need" the money back, but it pisses me off that it's floating Jpop's boat. I really don't like the direction RAZA has gone as compared to BHZA, so I'm not even excited about the prospect of getting my game (a decade from now...). Frankly, I'm so close to feeling like if we could start a revolution (legal action), even if it only got us back a couple bucks, but it stopped Jpop from continuing this masturbatory charade, it would be worth it.

If I knew I could just ignore things and I'd have a game 4 years from now, I could deal. However, if nothing is going to get made (which is starting to feel more likely), then the principle of letting Jpop continue using our money to float him while he plays the 10,000 artwork revisions game pisses me off.

Ideally, I'd prefer to get the game. Second choice would be to get my money back. But a real competing emotion is to just blow all this up, salvage whatever pennies I can, and more importantly stop Jpop from treading all over us with this. I've had the stomach for the original BBB pre-order and several others, so I'm not a faint-of-heart pre-orderer. However, if you're just going to piss away our money, you don't have to fuck us up the ass in the process.

#2136 4 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Ideally, I'd prefer to get the game. Second choice would be to get my money back. But a real competing emotion is to just blow all this up, salvage whatever pennies I can, and more importantly stop Jpop from treading all over us with this.

I'm right there with you. 1) I'd like my game. 2) If John mailed me a check and said "shut the f up, nice knowing you" I'd run to the bank with it, drain the topic and move on 3) scorched earth is looking better and better and at least I can save someone else.

#2137 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

3) scorched earth is looking better and better and at least I can save someone else.

AMEN! Especially for all the idiots (no offense) that are considering sending in money for AIW. I almost feel it is our civic duty.

#2138 4 years ago

I think the raza play field is fugly colored.

#2139 4 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

If he reads this, will he start over?

#2140 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I just posted this on his blog

I just posted a follow up...

Quoted from ChrisVW:

So I coined a new term…..The Lebowski Effect – “The outcome of showing a new game concept, exactly and early on, it’s it’s entirety to the masses to create surprise, comradery and extreme happiness”

TO THE MASSES. That's the key to what made this successful. People didn't care about ball hangups and software glitches because the DP guys were so confident people would love the game they wouldn't care about anything else, and they were right.

Had they shown only certain photos to certain people on a website no one else could get to, no one would have really cared and others disappointed.

I'm feeling pretty apathetic about this project now. It feels like timelines don't matter anymore and "I'll get to it when I get to it" is the way the project is going. I don't have anything to look forward to because the project is neverending...at least as far as deadlines are concerned.

I thought you hired a project manager to manage things. I have a hard time believing there is a project manager in the world who didn't set a deadline first thing. Is there really a project manager?

=\

#2141 4 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

DISCLAIMER: I have already written off the money I sent to Jpop for RAZA.
Out of principle alone, I'm pretty much done. Frankly, I'm wavering between two ends of the spectrum. On the one hand, drain this topic and forget about this "investment" for a couple years, only to come back in 2016 to see if things have progressed at all. Or saying F' it and round up people to "get our money back," whatever that means.

Dude don't give up like that...it's your fucking money - he's flaking on his end of the deal. You're entitled to your money back or some answers...end of story. NO ONE should be all "oh ho hum, I guess my money is gone" ...remember - the customer is always right!!!!

#2142 4 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

BHZA was super cool. RAZA has turned into a psychedelic, neon caricature of Cirqus Voltaire. Even if I got my game today (fantasy statement of the decade) I would still be really disappointed compared to what I originally ordered.

#2143 4 years ago

He isn't going to enforce the NDA. John has said he is keeping things close to the vest based on his claim that people who have access to the blog are leaking the information to his competition.

He didn't enforce it against them and I don't think he will against anyone else either.

#2144 4 years ago
Quoted from Shrub_Light:

Best post in the thread.

rd.

#2145 4 years ago

Ya'll were "Popaduped"

#2146 4 years ago

The money has to be spent.. I think that's why he wants to double the order for 21-40 something... The extra games would cover the cost to build the original list plus the extra 20

#2147 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Dude don't give up like that...it's your fucking money - he's flaking on his end of the deal. You're entitled to your money back or some answers...end of story. NO ONE should be all "oh ho hum, I guess my money is gone" ...remember - the customer is always right!!!!

Agreed, but at this point I would assume it would take litigation to get our money back. If that's the case, we might pay out almost as much as we have in to get whatever scraps Jpop has left. Even so, I feel like he's already cast us down, so why the hell not bring him down with us?

#2148 4 years ago

I like the cut of your jib, Cheeks. If I lose my money, I'll be getting 10 fold in satisfaction back through other means. I live on Pinside, it's going to be hard for him to drum up interest in future titles.

#2149 4 years ago

I want a T-Shirt , who has one?

#2150 4 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Agreed, but at this point I would assume it would take litigation to get our money back. If that's the case, we might pay out almost as much as we have in to get whatever scraps Jpop has left. Even so, I feel like he's already cast us down, so why the hell not bring him down with us?

You're in IL...just fucking camp out on his front door till he gives you back what's yours

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 9.00
Playfield - Other
Hdmike mods
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
There are 24288 posts in this topic. You are on page 43 of 486.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside