New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,335 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 164 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,697 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 3.39.04 PM (resized).png
sucks (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24335 posts in this topic. You are on page 426 of 487.
#21251 3 years ago

I doubt we'll see much video of gameplay. Has anybody even made a ramp shot? Maybe playing with the glass off will be the way to play this pin. This isn't even about that i don't think.

Has Jpop met the minimum requirements to stay out of jail? Deliver some games. And then say, "I'm on to Raza next".

The buyers of this pin and Raza and AIW did so expecting we would have a great new Jpop original from a guy that just wanted "to make great pinball" and "innovate in ways never seen before". And a pin that would be an awesome playing experience.

What's left is really none of that. Just the stay out jail effort.

But then people don't really buy BBB because its a great pinball machine. They mostly buy it as a "collector". People are afraid to play because they might put a dimple on it. How many BBB's do you always see for sale, "low plays", "less than 200", etc.?

MG will trade hands between "collectors" for whatever they think its worth. Playing the pin will have little to zero impact on it. Because nobody actually will.

Cointaker is smart to take advantage of selling MG as soon as the box hit their warehouse. The hype will never be greater than it is today.

Once Jpop finally fails with Raza and Aiw and Zidware fades into bankruptcy, time will erode the appeal of the moment. Although it will never be forgotten and certainly some people will just want to own a piece of pinball history.

#21252 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

...But then people don't really buy BBB because its a great pinball machine. They mostly buy it as a "collector". People are afraid to play because they might put a dimple on it. How many BBB's do you always see for sale, "low plays", "less than 200", etc.?...

Actually, there has been a BBB setup to play at Pintastic. Sorry I forgot who brings it, but it gets set to $2/play with money going to charity. I have a Pinball Magic so I know the build quality on Capcom pins is pretty darn good.

#21253 3 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Actually, there has been a BBB setup to play at Pintastic. Sorry I forgot who brings it, but it gets set to $2/play with money going to charity. I have a Pinball Magic so I know the build quality on Capcom pins is pretty darn good.

I'm def not comparing the build quality, I'm sure a real company like Capcom could put together a pinball machine better than a guy by himself in the back of a warehouse And BBB actually plays and some people like it as a flipping pinball machine.

Remains to be seen how poor or good the Jpop build ended up being.

#21254 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

But then people don't really buy BBB because its a great pinball machine. They mostly buy it as a "collector". People are afraid to play because they might put a dimple on it. How many BBB's do you always see for sale, "low plays", "less than 200", etc.?

BBB is a really solid pinball machine. Capcon was moving in the right direction and by my assessment it was their best game. The scarcity, artwork and cool adult theme go a long way, but BBB is a good playing machine.

Quoted from iceman44:

Has anybody even made a ramp shot? Maybe playing with the glass off will be the way to play this pin. This isn't even about that i don't think.

If the ramps are hard to hit I guess the flipper strength could be increased? The other option is people somehow re-engineer the ramps to make them lower...is that realistically doable or far fetched?

#21255 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Jpop ... wanted "to ... innovate in ways never seen before".

Well... he certainly met that goal... knocked it out of the park even! Just not the way people expected or hoped.

#21256 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

BBB is a really solid pinball machine. Capcon was moving in the right direction and by my assessment it was their best game. The scarcity, artwork and cool adult theme go a long way, but BBB is a good playing machine.

Never had a chance to play one. Maybe one day. I guess i could buy the BBB collection for $20k?

#21257 3 years ago

BBB is a mostly complete game though. MG seems more like a King Kong or a kingpin, both of which command much more than BBB. Those are games where the layout is pretty much there, but a lot of the coding isn't finished and there's probably a lot of tweaking left to do. BBB was pretty much a finished game when Capcom shut down it's pinball division.

#21258 3 years ago

The way John was going with RAZA as it evolved post Ben Heck, was disappointing in some respects. The artwork was just ok and the theme was incoherent, much like Jpop himself.

AIW would have ended up being the best pin of all 3 imo. Theme and artwork alone, however, "best pin" is certainly a relative term.

#21259 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

If the ramps are hard to hit I guess the flipper strength could be increased? The other option is people somehow re-engineer the ramps to make them lower...is that realistically doable or far fetched?

I don't believe the ramps are a power problem but a geometry one. I don't think there is any video on Magic Girl of a ball entering a ramp from a flipper.

#21260 3 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

BBB is a mostly complete game though. MG seems more like a King Kong or a kingpin, both of which command much more than BBB. Those are games where the layout is pretty much there, but a lot of the coding isn't finished and there's probably a lot of tweaking left to do. BBB was pretty much a finished game when Capcom shut down it's pinball division.

I think Kingpin is pretty far along, the few times I have played it at Pin a go go and Ca xtreme it seems pretty code complete. Don't really know about King Kong.

#21261 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Never had a chance to play one. Maybe one day. I guess i could buy the BBB collection for $20k?

That collection sold for full asking price two days ago so that one is off the table. Was such a cool collection.

#21262 3 years ago

There were 9 pins each of King Kong and Kingpin made?

It's a shame Capcom didn't make it to carry on with BBB and Kingpin. Data East? I'm not sure people are shedding too many tears over their demise although they have some decent pins.

#21263 3 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

kingpin and kong are more complete than how stern ships games these days. Kingpin is great fun.

#21264 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

That collection sold for full asking price two days ago so that one is off the table. Was such a cool collection.

That collection was truly one of a kind for the right buyer. Had very few plays from what i recall too. It would be hard to buy a pin like that and not play it!

Looks like there is a NIB BBB FS right now for $25k obo

#21265 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

I think Kingpin is pretty far along, the few times I have played it at Pin a go go and Ca xtreme it seems pretty code complete. Don't really know about King Kong.

Kingpin was to me pretty much done there is build up to a final mode with a maze mode then a final boss (which I beat once at National Pinball museum).

#21266 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Data East? I'm not sure people are shedding too many tears over their demise although they have some decent pins.

Funny enough though, that company is still here today. They renamed it Stern.

Check out Stern's 30 year releases report. The DE and Sega games they made are listed as theirs.

#21267 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Funny enough though, that company is still here today. They renamed it Stern.
Check out Stern's 30 year releases report. The DE and Sega games they made are listed as theirs.

Some would say based on today's output Stern should rename themselves Data East. Not me of course.

#21268 3 years ago

Read this thread. Cointaker has 3 MGs and why in the world would they keep all three. Cointaker is still owed quite a bit from my understanding. If I were them, I'd sell off at least two games to try and recoup some of my losses.

#21269 3 years ago

A person , whom i believe is "the one who shall remain nameless" is reporting that the game (one that was delivered, not necessarily to him) doesn't work. Via facebook post.

Grain of salt included.

#21270 3 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Read this thread. Cointaker has 3 MGs and why in the world would they keep all three. Cointaker is still owed quite a bit from my understanding. If I were them, I'd sell off at least two games to try and recoup some of my losses.

I'd think they would stage out selling all 3? Why retain a reminder of a terrible loss for them? But who knows.

#21271 3 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

A person , whom i believe is "the one who shall remain nameless" is reporting that the game (one that was delivered, not necessarily to him) doesn't work. Via facebook post.
Grain of salt included.

He had a podcast this am as well. Synopsis.. he is 'hearing' (he doesn't have it yet) that it is basically the proto game from NW show replicated 18 more times. Doesn't really work.

#21272 3 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

it is basically the proto game from NW show replicated 18 more times. Doesn't really work.

This was never going to end up any other way. As I've said before in this thread, this whole jpop thing has taught me to not go against my instincts again, and if something doesn't add up, it doesn't add up.

#21273 3 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

basically the proto game from NW show replicated 18 more times. Doesn't really work.

Just needs a jumper cables and a nudge is all...

Umm..Right?
Awful if true.

#21274 3 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

This was never going to end up any other way. As I've said before in this thread, this whole jpop thing has taught me to not go against my instincts again, and if something doesn't add up, it doesn't add up.

Who finished the code? Do we know if it is the same code or if it was tweaked.

#21275 3 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

this whole jpop thing has taught me to not go against my instincts again, and if something doesn't add up, it doesn't add up.

It is an insane model anyway...when people buy parts at my shop,they bring cash and i sell them a car part..
That's what works best; here is your requested thing..now give me your money...done.

#21276 3 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

He had a podcast this am as well. Synopsis.. he is 'hearing' (he doesn't have it yet) that it is basically the proto game from NW show replicated 18 more times. Doesn't really work.

We'll find out soon when he gets his. He's certainly saying that with conviction.

Meanwhile cointaker is desperately trying to flip theirs via auction on Facebook without posting ANY video. Certainly lends credence to the idea that it's an unplayable disaster. That brief clip that surfaced certainly doesn't instill confidence does it?

If the game were anything but dogshit don't you think they'd have posted 20 minutes of video by now? Certainly would juice the bidding, right?

#21277 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

It is an insane model anyway...when people buy parts at my shop,they bring cash and i sell them a car part..
That's what works best; here is your requested thing..now give me your money...done.

That's worked for me and I've taught my kids the same thing.

#21278 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

We'll find out soon when he gets his. He's certainly saying that with conviction.
Meanwhile cointaker is desperately trying to flip theirs via auction on Facebook without posting ANY video. Certainly lends credence to the idea that it's an unplayable disaster. That brief clip that surfaced certainly doesn't instill confidence does it?

Should we continue to support Coin Taker and buy LED's, other mods etc. from them after they pulled the Iron Man crap and now this?

#21279 3 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Yep and I'm in that group. I will never give Jpoop a pass, but think AP will do something for us in the RAZA crowd.

Ap will no longer have any dealing with jpop. They have removed every part of his cabinet design and structure from Houdini. It's now ap alone with joe balcer... jpop will no longer be able to deal with them

#21280 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Should we continue to support Coin Taker and buy LED's, other mods etc. from them after they pulled the Iron Man crap and now this?

What was the Iron Man crap?

#21281 3 years ago

They sold an Iron Man at high price just before the release of IMVE

#21282 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If the game were anything but dogshit don't you think they'd have posted 20 minutes of video by now? Certainly would juice the bidding, right?

Doubt he will open his, haven't listened to his podcast though.

#21283 3 years ago

They sold an original run IM at the peak price right before Stern publicly announced the VE but after they privately informed the distributors like CT (that's my memory anyway). They made it right shortly after somehow. I don't hold that transaction against them personally.

#21284 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I don't really give a shit about that stuff. They want to flip and make $ good for them. You are buying leds from them, not friendship.

Honestly anybody who gets taken by buying a $20,000 magic girl without seeing any proof it actually works at this point...they probably don't care.

#21285 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

They sold an original run IM at the peak price right before Stern publicly announced the VE but after they privately informed the distributors like CT (that's my memory anyway). They made it right shortly after somehow. I don't hold that transaction against them personally.

As I heard last year..."that makes them smart."

#21286 3 years ago

I don't think it makes them smart knowingly F ing another pinsider. They made it right afterwards apparently.

Cointaker has gotten royally F Ed by Jpop and wasted a bunch of time on TBL so I'd give them a pass on that one

This quick MG auction? It's buyer beware

At least K is being honest about it and not trying to hide it and informing people

I feel bad for anybody that gets F Ed and the hits keep on coming with Jpop

#21287 3 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Who finished the code? Do we know if it is the same code or if it was tweaked.

'Finished the code' ??????

As far as i know, its my code that was 'downed tools' on in May 2014 due to being owed $11177 and no sensible response as to why or when it would be paid from jpop. Same code used at the NW demo without settling up with me...

As i've said before on this thread now a few times, if i can get a game here somehow, then i will look at what could be possible code update wise, but i make no guarantees and it wouldn't be free. I haven't seen the finished playfield design and where the remaining switches were put, or if all the mechs were completed to the specs i had during the development. It would be very useful for a buyer who has one to post some detailed pics of what the playfield is like.

If you want to know what code and features are included, what *SHOULD* be playable then you should check the site i created for buyers out here :

http://magicgirlcode.org

#21288 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

At least K is being honest about it and not trying to hide it and informing people

Yeah, just spoke to him to find out what's going on. He said…basic code, just like the one at the show. Ball hang ups, etc. But I'm sure a number of you pinball gurus can figure out how to make it work as long as all the mechs and stuff is in there……right?

#21289 3 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Yeah, just spoke to him to find out what's going on. He said…basic code, just like the one at the show. Ball hang ups, etc. But I'm sure a number of you pinball gurus can figure out how to make it work as long as all the mechs and stuff is in there……right?

Sure, if we all want to babysit these games and do hours and hours of free work just so somebody can try to flip magic girl.

If these games are really the useless piles of lights that Chris says they are, that's all they are ever going to be. A fitting but unsurprising end for this tale I'd say.

#21290 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Sure, if we all want to babysit these games and do hours and hours of free work just so somebody can try to flip magic girl.

I would think it would be worth it if you can take a $16,500 machine and flip it for $45k

#21291 3 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I would think it would be worth it if you can take a $16,500 machine and flip it for $45k

I'd sooner quit pinball than contribute to validating Jpop's work.

It's pretty shameful that you are willing to reduce the wake he left behind down to a profit.

#21292 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

It's not validating jpoops work, I meant it's a way to make the machines playable for someone. They ARE going to be with a lot, that's just the way it is...

#21293 3 years ago

Kind of begs the question doesn't it. Wtf was Jpop really doing for all these years?

Yeti did the art. I would have expected more out of the self proclaimed "hardest working man in pinball"

That farce is at the top of his greatest hits of lies

#21294 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Go research bankruptcy laws and then come back. There is a good reason i am suggesting people retain a lawyer asap and then let the courts sort it out. Reality is that once the books have to be priovided, it will become crytal clear if raza and aiw money was used for any part of the creation of mg. if it was, then may god have mercy on all souls.

There is one glaring omission here, JPop is not in bankruptcy. Zidware/JPop just produced 19 machines. No judge is going to force bankruptcy at this point.

That may change if 19 unplayable boxes of lights are delivered. We just don't know yet.

#21295 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

It's pretty shameful that you are willing to reduce the wake he left behind down to a profit.

Words like "shameful" really get thrown around here too loosely.

At the end of the day it comes down to dollars and cents. Everybody involved in this project - everybody - thought they'd make money off of this. Greed and avarice abounds. "shameful" is a bit much.

If someone really wanted to pay me an ugodly sum to try to turn their MG into an actual working pinball machine, id consider it and Shame wouldn't be part of the equation

#21296 3 years ago

I'm only wondering here, aside from the fact that Cointaker lost a big amount of $$$, why did they get 3 MG pins? Did they purchase them up front? I think I recall Chris saying they did buy 1?

What about Yeti, Applejuice and others?

I know John and Cointaker have been long time friends. How was that process handled?

Doesn't it seem a bit dumb not to give the programmer a pin? A guy that certainly would have incentive to finish it up?

But then it does have to actually flip to matter

#21297 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Kind of begs the question doesn't it. Wtf was Jpop really doing for all these years?
Yeti did the art. I would have expected more out of the self proclaimed "hardest working man in pinball"
That farce is at the top of his greatest hits of lies

You're forgetting the hinges and those spike leg bolts. I'm sure that's 100% JPOP

#21298 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If someone really wanted to pay me an ugodly sum to try to turn their MG into an actual working pinball machine, id consider it and Shame wouldn't be part of the equation

That's you, not me. I wouldn't touch the machines. They are worth exactly $0 to me.

#21299 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'm only wondering here, aside from the fact that Cointaker lost a big amount of $$$, why did they get 3 MG pins?

They also brought back machines for 2 other people….

#21300 3 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

There is one glaring omission here, JPop is not in bankruptcy. Zidware/JPop just produced 19 machines. No judge is going to force bankruptcy at this point.
That may change if 19 unplayable boxes of lights are delivered. We just don't know yet.

I don't agree with this at all. Zidware is bankrupt now.

They would have to prove they have the capability of producing Raza and Aiw if the other creditors forced him into Involuntary bankruptcy.

Then the question of preferential payments arise within the 90 day window of filing

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 625.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 139.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 32.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
There are 24335 posts in this topic. You are on page 426 of 487.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside