(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,545 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,545 posts in this topic. You are on page 409 of 491.
#20401 7 years ago

Toyota, designers back then made a lot more than they do now. Figure more like 150k.

#20402 7 years ago

If you reorder these pins by release date, things look interesting. As most of the titles are about equal funwise, it would seem the quantities should be flat or rising. Other factors come into play such as pricing and roi, but it also looks like the market was contracting sharply.

WCS94: 8,743 units
TOM: 6,600 units
TOTAN: 3,128 units
Voltaire: 2,704 units
SWE1: 3,525 units

Quoted from toyotaboy:

Well let's see (keeping it simple)
Voltaire: 2,704 units
SWE1: 3,525 units
TOTAN: 3,128 units
TOM: 6,600 units
WCS94: 8,743 units
Assume his salary in the 90s was $50k/year, and his development time was 2 years a piece (since he worked there 10 years), divide that into 24,700 units.. His $500k salary over a 10 year period (half of what he stole in only 5 years to accomplish nothing versus finish 5 machines in 10).. If you figure the average machine in the 90s sold for $3k, that's 74 million dollars in net revenue.
74 million / 500k = $148 per machine.
Million dollars invested into zidware= (cannot divide by zero)
I'd say he's far past that point.

#20403 7 years ago

Did I miss something? Has American Pinball pull out of working with jpoop?

#20404 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

...Assume his salary in the 90s was $50k/year, and his development time was 2 years a piece (since he worked there 10 years), divide that into 24,700 units.. His $500k salary over a 10 year period (half of what he stole in only 5 years to accomplish nothing versus finish 5 machines in 10).. If you figure the average machine in the 90s sold for $3k, that's 74 million dollars in net revenue.

Wouldn't that be $1M invested / $1M salary = $1 ? So JPOP's lawyer could argue JPOP's theft should be limited to $1 per machine Maybe this is one of those logical arguments that isn't so logical.

#20405 7 years ago

Analogy is not decent. It even borders on misogynistic, if you ask me (failure = Sharon Stone, success = Robert Downey Jr. or Steve Jobs).

Did Sharon Stone rip off anyone investing in her by not delivering what was required of her? Not that I'm aware of. Has her star been diminished over the years? Sure, but she also was dealing with a brain tumor. I don't THINK Jpop has a brain tumor, but that would explain a lot.

BTW this isn't some ridiculous "SJW" posturing, either. Just taking issue with the analogy.

#20406 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Toyota, designers back then made a lot more than they do now. Figure more like 150k.

No wonder why he never made a deal to work with Stern (if that even ever happened), I'm sure adjusted for inflation, nobody at Stern makes $250k (volume isn't there), probably lucky to clear 100k.

and why he chose $90k as his salary.. In his mind, it was still a paycut. "Yes! I shall pay myself.. eighty.. No ninety thousand a year, and I shall hire artists and programmers, and volunteers shall come do my bidding.. and I shall build a giant office and production floor from scratch with my own two bare hands, and I shall blog about progress. but FIRST! I shall design the greatest pinball cabinet in the hisTORY OF PINBALL!!"

#20407 7 years ago

Forbes has Johnny Depp listed as the 2015 worst returns for a star actor, as far as ROI.

And considering Johnny Depp once played Willy Wonka, I think the comparison is much better!

#20408 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Wouldn't I have to get OFF something to get back on it?

Awesome Ben..
Point taken

#20409 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Analogy is not decent. It even borders on misogynistic, if you ask me (failure = Sharon Stone, success = Robert Downey Jr. or Steve Jobs).

Great analogy.

#20410 7 years ago

Please, @iceman44.. you wouldn't know an analogy if it was at the bottom of whatever you're drinking. Thanks for the neg!

#20411 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Please, Iceman.. you wouldn't know an analogy if it was at the bottom of whatever you're drinking. Thanks for he neg!

I guess you are right, those "analogies" are tough ones to figure out. You are welcome, you deserve it.

#20412 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I guess you are right, those "analogies" are tough ones to figure out. You are welcome, you deserve it.

Dude I don't know know what you're blathering on about at all... perhaps you should read back a few posts rather than drunkenly lashing out at me.

#20413 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Wouldn't that be $1M invested / $1M salary = $1 ? So JPOP's lawyer could argue JPOP's theft should be limited to $1 per machine Maybe this is one of those logical arguments that isn't so logical.

EXCEPT if you are dividing dollars into dollars, which cancel each other out and you end up with a ratio of numbers and no units associated. In this case it is 1 and that can be converted into percent as 100.

Quoted from toyotaboy:

...Assume his salary in the 90s was $50k/year, and his development time was 2 years a piece (since he worked there 10 years), divide that into 24,700 units.. His $500k salary over a 10 year period (half of what he stole in only 5 years to accomplish nothing versus finish 5 machines in 10).. If you figure the average machine in the 90s sold for $3k, that's 74 million dollars in net revenue.

I thnk what you meant to compare was his $500k salary / 24,500 units sold = $20 / pin for the cost. But that is not accurate either, because salary is only a part of cost. Also estimates of how much collateral damage was caused by his incomplete work, rework, required bailouts by fellow employees and missed deadlines is hard to put a number to. Better to focus on the hard costs.

You want to look at burdened cost - since benefits, insurance, taxes, overhead, retirement etc are essentially tied together with every hour of labor expended. I'll wager 2.5 times employee salary - or $1.25M was closer to the fully burdened costs to B/W ( a legitamate company and legal entity) . You would then want to convert this into todays dollars because you intend to make comparisons with today's dollars. Getting out the old inflation converter, I see the present day value of $1 in 1994 is $1.62 today x $1.25M = 2M in today's dollars, plus change.

Finally ... JPOP's employment at Bally Williams cost buyers $2M / 24.5k units = $82.65 for every JPOP pin sold. Also $82.65 labor / 3k $/pin (average cost per unit) shows JPOP was likely 2.65% of every sale. That is reasonable in my book.

Now back to your present day fiasco. $1M / 0 units produced approaches infinity, so yeah, that's a bad return on investment.

#20414 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Quoted from Cornelius:

Dude I don't know know what you're blathering on about at all... perhaps you should read back a few posts rather than drunkenly lashing out at me.

Hey! Cut it out!
Pm eachother!
This is a happy place where we barf on jpop!

#20415 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Analogy is not decent. It even borders on misogynistic

Your stupid SJW comment? Gimme a break, nobody needs to be drinking to see how dumb that is. But then again its just Cornelius being Cornelius.

#20416 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

Hey! Cut it out!
Pm eachother!
This is a happy place where we barf on jpop!

You're right. I can't think of anything more ridiculous than spending the day before thanksgiving arguing with a drunken men's rights activist. My bad.

(Still a shitty analogy though)

#20417 7 years ago

I don't have a stake in this fiasco and certainly JPOPs lack of any response really speaks poorly of him. But, that said, this was a startup business, and most startup businesses fail. He undercapitalized the company, he (based on what others have written) poorly allocated available funds, and he obviously didn't know how to manage a business. Anyone who promised three separate machines, fully done, on the funds raised clearly had no clue about the cost to do anything. Manage business != design pinballs. JJP succeeded because he fundamentally knew how to run a business already and could rely on income from that existing business to help support the development effort. People can rightly get mad here, but 90% of all startups fail. This one failed, and for all the reasons you could predict it might (though perhaps evident only in hindsight). The final result of all of this, which the thread will hopefully serve to memorialize, is don't invest in a startup if you can't afford to lose every last dime you put into it. Chances are, that investment isn't going to deliver. And while I would love to be optimistic, from a simple business point of view it makes no sense for American Pinball to ever fill a single order here. They are making the same mistake -> see existing assets with already sunk costs -> calculate added funds needed to bring said assets to completion -> profit. I have little doubt they have no idea what that number really is because unless Stern or JJP opens their books to them they have no real knowledge of the cost of doing business.

#20418 7 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Did I miss something? Has American Pinball pull out of working with jpoop?

Distanced themselves at Expo. Said there was a lot of work to do on Houdini, layout wasn't right, designing new board sets as not using Zidware ones, Joe Balcer announced as employee to fix Houdini (he acknoledges it's nowhere near ready). Said they had nothing to do with MG except that they were contracted (by arrangement with JPop) to build it.

#20419 7 years ago

I havent been on here in months and I come back to find this thread still has life. Wth is going on in the pinball world where JPOP still has any opportunities? Unbelievable!!!

#20420 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Forbes has Johnny Depp listed as the 2015 worst returns for a star actor, as far as ROI.
And considering Johnny Depp once played Willy Wonka, I think the comparison is much better!

ya ROI, Radio On Internet! Tres coma!

#20421 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

That's a terrible analogy.

How about Solyndra? Minus the part where I was an unwilling investor.

#20422 7 years ago

I'm still awaiting contact from 'American Pinball' about the MG they are delivering to me in the next 5 weeks. I smell a rather obvious case of 'the bullshit', and hope no-one falls for these scammers' additional bullshit about Houdini (who incidentally despised magic, taking pleasure in debunking it, despite Jpop lathering magic all over the machine light show, incompetent that he is).

I hope Jpop is prevented from hurting other pinball collectors. The prick has done a lot of damage.

#20423 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

I'm still awaiting contact from 'American Pinball' about the MG they are delivering to me in the next 5 weeks. I smell a rather obvious case of 'the bullshit', and hope no-one falls for these scammers' additional bullshit about Houdini (who incidentally despised magic, taking pleasure in debunking it, despite Jpop lathering magic all over the machine light show, incompetent that he is).
I hope Jpop is prevented from hurting other pinball collectors. The prick has done a lot of damage.

right (resized).jpgright (resized).jpg

#20424 7 years ago

What a crazy ride? Goes on for years now?
One moment you lose your ass,next moment you have hope that some new entity is going to deliver magic girl in a few weeks.
Then radiosilence...
Why is this all so shady?
Nobody steps up and explains what the plans are?
Superweird..i hope some day soon we find closure.
And call me a fool,but i am still hoping for closure in a positive way.

IMG_0728 (resized).JPGIMG_0728 (resized).JPG

#20425 7 years ago

The amazing Carnac has a prediction.

IMG_2299 (resized).JPGIMG_2299 (resized).JPG

IMG_1998 (resized).JPGIMG_1998 (resized).JPG

#20426 7 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

The amazing Carnac has a prediction.

Well..,better than linger on.
It is also closure!
Not real positive though

#20427 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Distanced themselves at Expo. Said there was a lot of work to do on Houdini, layout wasn't right, designing new board sets as not using Zidware ones, Joe Balcer announced as employee to fix Houdini (he acknoledges it's nowhere near ready). Said they had nothing to do with MG except that they were contracted (by arrangement with JPop) to build it.

Ok thanks. I know the "reveal" at the expo was a disaster, but hadnt heard much since.

#20428 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Said they had nothing to do with MG except that they were contracted (by arrangement with JPop) to build it.

At this point I believe it is relatively clear that anyone contemplating working with JPop should consider having him subjected to a fitness for duty evaluation.

exam (resized).jpgexam (resized).jpg

1 week later
#20429 7 years ago

Bizarre, he's starting to do website updates again. He's claiming Magic girl is in production, and zombie and alice are in development. "In production" implies you are currently building them.
http://www.zidware.com/pinball.html

zidware (resized).pngzidware (resized).png

#20430 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Bizarre, he's starting to do website updates again. He's claiming Magic girl is in production, and zombie and alice are in development. "In production" implies you are currently building them.
http://www.zidware.com/pinball.html

Honestly, it's like the guy just lives to torture these people (Zidware "owners")

#20431 7 years ago

In production means nothing. They sent a batch of junk improperly printed playfields to be clear coated and that is where production stands.

#20432 7 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

They sent a batch of junk improperly printed playfields to be clear coated and that is where production stands.

So you're saying, there's a CHANCE?

#20433 7 years ago

In production = row of empty cabinets sitting at the back of an Aimtron facility.

#20434 7 years ago

omg, his new website is in that tell-tale hand coded html (with tables) that John spins his wheels making. He's probably worked on this new website for all this time since expo.

And it's the same circle jerk stuff as before... promises of photos, etc.

No actual games of course.

I can't believe the year will soon be 2017 and this is still going on.

#20435 7 years ago

Wow, I just realized.. We have only three weeks before the end of the year. Games should be shipping now..! Anyone get a UPS or FedEx tracking number?

#20436 7 years ago

I would have to assume anyone here local to Streamwood IL could take a ride over and ask for an update or to see an update? That's assuming anyone is even there. While the chance is remote, it could be that AP is in "radio silence" mode.

#20437 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

I would have to assume anyone here local to Streamwood IL could take a ride over and ask for an update or to see an update? That's assuming anyone is even there. While the chance is remote, it could be that AP is in "radio silence" mode.

Even if someone was there, if you asked about magic girl, I guarantee the response would be (based on expo):
"We are a contract manufacturer. If you want to know about magic girl, please contact zidware"

#20438 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

"In production" implies you are currently building them.

Also would imply he's worked out whatever issues remained with Bill (which seems unlikely).

#20439 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Honestly, it's like the guy just lives to torture these people (Zidware "owners")

That's exactly what he's doing.

Like Lucy and the football with Charlie Brown.

#20440 7 years ago

I would conjecture the main thing he's doing is trying to keep his ass out of prison.

#20441 7 years ago

As a nation, we have gone soft.. How the eff can this guy walk around, jerling people around, and no confronted, even in a non-violent situation?

#20442 7 years ago

On the 16th day of Christmas, I knew we were getting close....

#20443 7 years ago

I think if john delivers the mg's to it's customers, there is a bunch of cash coming in and zidware can proceed building the other stuff.
Still don't understand why he doesn't open up to the public to tell us how he plans to struggle forward.
Any news is welcome at this point?

#20444 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

I think if john delivers the mg's to it's customers, there is a bunch of cash coming in and zidware can proceed building the other stuff.
Still don't understand why he doesn't open up to the public to tell us how he plans to struggle forward.
Any news is welcome at this point?

LOL

#20445 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Been there, done that. Didn't find out much - that was August. Could be different in December, but I'm not motivated to visit again - besides, I think all the interesting stuff is being done at AimTron's site.

#20446 7 years ago

The time line in this project now exceeds America's involvement in WW2.

Next milestone: longer than the moon mission?

Might be a fun challenge for me, see how many pins I can build before John "the master" finishes one.

#20447 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Might be a fun challenge for me, see how many pins I can build before John "the master" finishes one.

How many can you make before you die of old age? It's the same number.

#20448 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

1fw70o (resized).jpg1fw70o (resized).jpg

#20449 7 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

How many can you make before you die of old age? It's the same number.

Good point!

#20450 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

lol

I remember back around 1994 I had filed a Motion for Dismissal for Lack of Prosecution on a civil case that was filed against my client. The Complaint was filed in 1988. These Motions are rarely granted, as there is a general preference to hear a case on it's merits.

When oral arguments were heard, the Judge listened to the attorney for plaintiff give all the reasons why the Complaint should not be dismissed. After listening to all the reasons he gave, the Judge turned to me and asked me for my response. I said "Your honor, Ronald Reagan was still President when this case was filed!" ....I had more to add, but nearly the entire courtroom giggled a bit, the Judge smiled, and said "case dismissed with prejudice!"

There is something very effective about putting the passage of time into perspective by comparing it to some historical event that people are familiar with. Reagan was old, he was a two term president (8 years), and by 1994 there had been 2 presidents since Reagan left office (Bush and Clinton).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 24,545 posts in this topic. You are on page 409 of 491.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6mg-raza-and-aiw%E2%80%A6/page/409 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.