(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,316 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 166 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,696 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sucks (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 405 of 487.
#20201 3 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Hope is what got people into this mess. As in, "I hope I get a machine if I send this guy a fat check".

I sure hope that was the not what people were saying our thinking, that 'I hope I get a machine'.

I also hope that based on zidware and skit-b, that no one would send a fat check to a company with no product ready to ship. And I don't think AP is asking anyone to do that, so while caution is always a good idea, at this point, that does not really apply, so how about we go with 'cautiously optimistic"

#20202 3 years ago

at the end of the day, it's "we" the consumers that are to blame. "we" are the ones that allow this to happen by thrusting out our fists filled with cash, declaring "take my money"

mr.68 did the right thing and got out of the batman '66 pre-order because to him, enough was enough and to have to put a deposit down which became non-refundable prior to the unveiling was ludicrous. granted, it turned out to be a nice looking package, but no where worth the asking price (in my opinion).

on top of this, with all that stern has been going through (affecting their entire current product offerings), people were still lining up like lemmings ready to take that leap of faith sight unseen when pre-orders were announced

until "we" as a community stop allowing this to occur, this will continue. and "we" will continue to bitch and moan about it even though "we" are the cause. plain and simple

#20203 3 years ago

But if you don't jump on it early, how else are you going to get one so you can flip it immediately for lots of money?

#20204 3 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

But if you don't jump on it early, how else are you going to get one so you can flip it immediately for lots of money?

Sarcasm or not that is the only reason it worked in the first place. No one cares about "ultra limited" unless you care about it's "potential value".

#20205 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

Lets see what happens next 10 weeks with MG.
Its very short on time to deliver them.
I hope they succeed because MG owners wil be happy (sort of) en then there is a change for Houdini and more.
It sounds almost as a imposibble mission but with the right people and money it can be done.
Don't we people on pinside want that the mg owners get finaly there machine, or we don't care that they lost money???.
Give them a break.

Did Chris from Cointaker get his MG at Expo as promised?

#20206 3 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Sarcasm or not that is the only reason it worked in the first place. No one cares about "ultra limited" unless you care about it's "potential value".

The only reason that I got in on the preorder of BHZA was because I thought it was the only way to get to own a zombie themed pin that was going to be unique, have superb artwork, and would have "inside access" (and we would be able to choose various custom options for toys etc.) to the process along the way (that was promised to us by JPop). I got out fairly early on after it became very apparent that the inside access thing wasn't going to happen. It wasn't too much later that it also became apparent that it really wasn't going to be much of a zombie theme.

For me, it was never a matter of getting into it for the purpose of making money.

#20207 3 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Did Chris from Cointaker get his MG at Expo as promised?

that would be a NO

#20208 3 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I think there are collectors (me) who don't care about the flip value, they really intend to keep it (although, if it sucks, they do want out without taking too much of hit). Part of the fun is having something nobody else has but is fun to play, and not just look at. I suppose some could see being a pinball investor by trading a buy low/sell high - but its a lowsy , unpredictable investment - and I think makers have finally got to the point to eliminate flipping (but they may have also destroyed ability for some buyers, it can be overdone).

#20209 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

Don't we people on pinside want that the mg owners get finaly there machine

Absolutely. I suppose it's just hard to believe that after these years, suddenly it's going to be pulled out of the hat and ready to deliver in the next 10 weeks. All that needed development somehow being completed in shrouded secrecy. I just don't think JPop's ego could have gone that long without showing things off.

If it's pulled off, I'll be the first to give them a huge congratulations and thanks.

#20210 3 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

the part I don't get is how Jpop could patent what was already patented by WMS:
https://www.google.com/patents/US6000697

Cause jpoop is a gawddamn lowlife thief, plain and simple.

QSS

#20211 3 years ago

To me... it's very encouraging to see some light at the end of the tunnel. Now granted; this tunnel is still very looooong!

I'm in on RAZA for $4,750. I would sell my interest / share for half, if anyone wants to ride it out.

#20212 3 years ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

I'm in on RAZA for $4,750. I would sell my interest / share for half, if anyone wants to ride it out.

I'll trade you my $6000 in predator straight up.

#20213 3 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

The only reason that I got in on the preorder of BHZA was because I thought it was the only way to get to own a zombie themed pin that was going to be unique, have superb artwork, and would have "inside access" (and we would be able to choose various custom options for toys etc.) to the process along the way (that was promised to us by JPop). I got out fairly early on after it became very apparent that the inside access thing wasn't going to happen. It wasn't too much later that it also became apparent that it really wasn't going to be much of a zombie theme.
For me, it was never a matter of getting into it for the purpose of making money.

Quoted from dgarrett:

I think there are collectors (me) who don't care about the flip value, they really intend to keep it (although, if it sucks, they do want out without taking too much of hit). Part of the fun is having something nobody else has but is fun to play, and not just look at. I suppose some could see being a pinball investor by trading a buy low/sell high - but its a lowsy , unpredictable investment - and I think makers have finally got to the point to eliminate flipping (but they may have also destroyed ability for some buyers, it can be overdone).

My point was that I think very few would buy 15k pin if they knew it could be produced in unlimited quantities. The value and it bring extremely limited were a big part of the draw. I don't think most were buying to flip but certainty some were.

#20214 3 years ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

To me... it's very encouraging to see some light at the end of the tunnel. Now granted; this tunnel is still very looooong!

I will sell my RAZA spot for $2374.00

#20215 3 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Correction: YOU don't care about that. Some people have more money than they will ever need and want things that are rare.

Other people's motivations are often surprising and different.

#20216 3 years ago

I want things that are rare and I certainly don't have more money than I need. Some people just like rare things. I'll frequently take a custom product or a 1-of-1 over a standard option assuming the price isn't vastly different. All the art in my gaming area is commissioned and it's not much more expensive than buying and framing a print. The custom side art on my home-build MAME cabinet was only $200.

Some people like knowing that not many others have something. Scarcity definitely sells.

#20217 3 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

My point was that I think very few would buy 15k pin if they knew it could be produced in unlimited quantities. The value and it bring extremely limited were a big part of the draw. I don't think most were buying to flip but certainty some were.

Exactly. Its the "1 of a few" answer to the question of + $5000. The majority here agrees tangible things like parts, art, hardware are a fraction of $5k difference; most of the $3.5k on JJP (Le v CE dialedin) and $5 on BM66 is intangible emotional/rareness/perception so pure profit to the makers. And yes, it appears 400 hundred chasing the 30 or 80 SLE, highly value intangibles. JJP is seeing if $3.5k of intangibles will work for a Pat Lawlor game (little, to no, tangible differences - so similar to BM66, most must be the intangible rareless).

The perception/rareness value is a fragile idea. How long will Ice pay $thousands extra for rareness, if rareness has little meaning - If everything is rare, nothing is. For Stern, STLE run of 799 was rare. For BMLE 240 is rare (and unique with a toy or collector card). BMSLE is rarer still, with signatures (but 80 is now less rare than 30, so..... maybe instead of $5k difference is should now be $3k or $4k?? ).

The point is - the LE value should not be viewed as rational, when its based off rarity.

Maybe there should be a standard and a luxury standard where you load up on factory added goodies with upcharges - invisiglass, shakers, toppers, fancier interactive toys (Slimer) , powder coat, etc.

My opinion is that this Expo really tested the "what will people pay beyond extra goodies, so the intangible rareness factor?"

The discussion gets pointless, because there is no piece of hardware at a price that we can say is worth x or y. This gets into egos, opinions and its totally up to individuals definition. Its been interesting to see the arguments beyond the stick shock of $9 k is too high.

The more entertaining posts are discussing would you pay $3.5k or $5k difference of bragging rights.

#20218 3 years ago
Quoted from dotEXE:

Some people like knowing that not many others have something. Scarcity definitely sells.

True rarity is something that happens accidentally.

Forced rarity for the purpose of exclusivity means nothing.

EDITED: Too Harsh

#20219 3 years ago

Why do people want rare things? Seriously....I don't get it.

I get wanting "things"....I like "things". Now some of the things I want also happen to be rare and they tend to cost a lot more. However, I don't want them because they are rare. So what's up with that?

And I agree with Wolf.....artificial "rarity" I find somewhat offensive. I just don't care about the "exclusivity" factor.

#20220 3 years ago

I will sell my RAZA and AIW spots for two cases of beer.

#20221 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Hmmmmm ... tempting .... but ...

Booze wins!

rd

IMG_2199 (resized).JPG

#20222 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Oh my gawwd! Quit being SUCH a SHILL!

#20223 3 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I get wanting "things"....I like "things". Now some of the things I want also happen to be rare and they tend to cost a lot more. However, I don't want them because they are rare. So what's up with that?

In a word ego.

That having been said, I used to collect large size US currency. Virtually every old note is rare (less than 100 for higher grades based on FR #). However, there are certain notes (google 1896 $5 Educational note) that are just damn beautiful and, as a result, they have a much higher value than much scarcer notes. It seems most collectibles, including cars, currency and pinball machines are that way. While some may value scarcity, by itself, many more value beauty (and/or playability). This translates into not only higher demand but also people tending to hold onto the note longer, thereby reducing supply. My advice to those who pay up for scarcity alone with the hope of making lots of $...flip fast.

#20224 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Busch or Corona?

Major difference in price points.

#20225 3 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

And I agree with Wolf.....artificial "rarity" I find somewhat offensive. I just don't care about the "exclusivity" factor.

I enjoy my rare PistolPoker pinball and CSI and NBA from Stern which have smaller production runs than most Limited Editions.

#20226 3 years ago
Quoted from doughslingers:

I enjoy my rare PistolPoker pinball and CSI and NBA from Stern which have smaller production runs than most Limited Editions.

But do you enjoy them because they are rare, or do you enjoy them because you enjoy them. If they were part of a run of 100,000 or something ridiculous would you enjoy them less, or have less of a reason to own them?

#20227 3 years ago

Wow, HSA documented the MG PFs pretty well. I like the Titanium Plate part. "I'm going to one up a name from 30 years ago even though clear coats are the norm now. Even better, I'm going to make note of it under the apron." Turns out to be done by another company and likely is something they commonly use.

Quoted from BC_Gambit:

But do you enjoy them because they are rare, or do you enjoy them because you enjoy them. If they were part of a run of 100,000 or something ridiculous would you enjoy them less, or have less of a reason to own them?

I played both CSI and 24 at Pinburgh recently. I just couldn't enjoy CSI, but 24 was quite a bit of fun. Probably the only suitcase multiball ever, but it was still fun to shoot.

#20228 3 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Quoted from Oldgoat:

In a word ego. ...

I like things. I like games. I like a lot of games. At one point I wanted a Whirlwind or an Earthshaker. Both good games and kind of similar in a mirror image way. When they became available I decided to go with the lower run numbered Earthshaker for a simple reason. They don't come up as often. If I decided I made the wrong choice it would be easier to sell Earthshaker and find a Whirlwind. Would I have paid a lot more because of it? Nope. I have no problem spending money, but it has to be worth it.

#20229 3 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I find them tastier and juicier that way.

Rare (resized).jpg

#20230 3 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

that patent was filed in 1998, and design patents are only good for 14 years unless renewed (which also require improvements on the original design). I remember talking to John, and how he was designing a new ball trough in case the William's patented trough didn't lapse in time.

Kaneda's tro is the tro of the future.

#20231 3 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

New rare things, I don't get either. If it's something old (that I also enjoy) that's rare because so many have been destroyed over the years, that I get.

#20232 3 years ago

Boy I wonder who dotEXE could be (post 20216)?

#20233 3 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

So they can get laid...

#20234 3 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

So they can get laid...

Exactly!!!!

QSS

#20235 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I find them tastier and juicier that way.

I gotta say medium rare brings out a little more taste and juiciness than rare. Seared on the outside with some garlic mash and carmelized onions. Just cooked me some prime ribeye.

image (resized).jpeg

#20236 3 years ago

This reminds me I need to make a shadowbox display for my Atari Landfill Cartridges...

#20237 3 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

Maybe there should be a standard and a luxury standard where you load up on factory added goodies with upcharges - invisiglass, shakers, toppers, fancier interactive toys (Slimer) , powder coat, etc.

We are fortunate to have Pinball Refinery for much of this option.

#20238 3 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Why do people want rare things?

Because then other people can't have it? ... What's hard to get about that?

Quoted from c508:

Boy I wonder who dotEXE could be (post 20216)?

And just who do YOU think I am? I seriously look forward to the third time this week somebody has guessed I'm somebody specific. So far I've been Jack Guarnieri, and some other Jack who runs a podcast. Who am I today? I'm eager to hear.

#20239 3 years ago
Quoted from dotEXE:

Because then other people can't have it? ... What's hard to get about that?

And just who do YOU think I am? I seriously look forward to the third time this week somebody has guessed I'm somebody specific. So far I've been Jack Guarnieri, and some other Jack who runs a podcast. Who am I today? I'm eager to hear.

Do you sleep under Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle sheets?

#20240 3 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

I don't see what is sarcastic about that.

It's the absolute truth and that part of the consumer world is driving prices.

The chickens are about to come home to roost.

#20241 3 years ago
Quoted from doughslingers:

Busch or Corona?
Major difference in price points.

I would settle for Schlitz and Pabst Blue ribbon

Not picky

#20242 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I would settle for Schlitz and Pabst Blue ribbon
Not picky

+1 Ice. I'll take a case a Pabst tall boys or preferably a case of Schlitz. I can no longer find me some Schlitz near me.

Hey Buddy... a case next time you're up this way would be fine.

DSCF5612 (resized).JPG

#20243 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Does it come with that voucher thing Jpop gave everyone with the serial number? I would give you 3 cases of beer if you have that too. It's pinball history. In a 50 years it's worth at least 4 cases of beer.

#20244 3 years ago
Quoted from XNIF:

Does it come with that voucher thing Jpop gave everyone with the serial number? I would give you 3 cases of beer if you have that too. It's pinball history. In a 50 years it's worth at least 4 cases of beer.

Make it a couple cases of Glenlivet and I'll draw up the contract.

IMG_2288 (resized).JPG

#20245 3 years ago

Sorry guys. I got hit by a strange form of... ethnic lightning and had to spend a month recuperating. Glad to be back among most of you pinball enthusiasts!

So, you guys hear any juicy gossip or anything? I hear expo was a real humdinger!

#20246 3 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

So, you guys hear any juicy gossip or anything? I hear expo was a real humdinger!

Nah... it's been pretty quiet and boring around here and Expo was a no-show.

#20247 3 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Nah... it's been pretty quiet and boring around here and Expo was a no-show.

Totally dead, nothing to be seen anywhere.

#20248 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

This reminds me I need to make a shadowbox display for my Atari Landfill Cartridges...

OOhhhh.... that's pretty cool. What else came out of the landfill besides ET?

Jaz

#20249 3 years ago

Off topic, but didn't they find the ET cartridges a few years ago?

#20250 3 years ago

They did! There's an interesting documentary called Atari: Game Over about it: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3715406/

If you don't mind the quality, you can find it on Youtube.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Chatham, MA
There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 405 of 487.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside