(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,471 posts
  • 928 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 174 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

streamberry (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,471 posts in this topic. You are on page 384 of 490.
#19151 7 years ago

I'm surprised - maybe I shouldn't be - that this guy even know who Spooky and JJP were... "as you know from Spooky and JJP".

#19152 7 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

I visited the Streamwood American Pinball. The industrial building does have an American Pinball piece of paper stuck on the door but it's backwards and upside down.

Looking at the pic of the paper sign, the top edge that is taped to the inside of the door is really the bottom edge of the piece of paper. If you swing it upwards and tape the new top edge to the door the paper would be right side up and be facing out the front door. The only question is, did the top edge just come untaped and the paper flop down or do they deliberately leave it that way (so the name doesn't show) and just flip it up when someone is coming over and they want the name American Pinball to be visible?

#19153 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Thanks for the report.
My hunch is John is a "consultant" for them, paid or some other deal. Likely the original zidware customers will be told to pound sand.
At least Bill's deal attempted to make right with all the original customers, which turned out to be mission impossible.
I'm shocked that someone of any business success, as this new guy apparently is, from their other business interests, can see any potential here at all. Right out of the gate they are repeating one of John's big mistakes which was cash burn on commercial rent.

I agree with your hunch. The place looks abandoned now, and perhaps a minority-owned startup may be getting from rent-free, city grant or some goofiness - you are right - the new guy seemed business savvy enough to manage that.

#19154 7 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

DV - yes, we have been talking with John...... (and a long pause) ... and a few other designers.

Hahaha, yep, there you go.

There better be a shit ton of $$$ to get these games ready.

I wonder how the heck he's going to get the assets out of Zidware. It's one thing to have a "consulting agreement" with this guy but another to defraud the creditors.

John must have sold the "assets" to this entity for pennies. The pennies would be subject to creditor claims.

Will they try and re skin the trifecta of failure? MG, RAZA and AIW

Who would buy? People that didn't get burned?

This ain't going anywhere.

#19155 7 years ago

Was there an AimTron plaque on the brick of the building? Judging from street view, its a fairly small sign, but permanent. That was one of their former locations, I'm curious if they're just taping the temporary sign on the door to make the company seem legitimate while the space actually is some place where this guy works (he was apparently a managing director or something with AimTron).

#19156 7 years ago

"If I had a dollar for every post in this thread...I'd be able to pay back all of you."

- J Pop

#19157 7 years ago

Here is my take. I believe that John has somehow convinced this Dhaval and this AimTron company to reverse engineer the PROC system and reproduce the system he needs for these games. In turn, if the games somehow actually get produced, the "NEW" American Pinball has a product to sell. Meanwhile, leaving all the original buyers in the dust, shit out of luck. Dhaval get his money if, and only if the games get produced and sell. John probably had enough in the prototypes to convince this guy to take a complete leap of faith.

#19158 7 years ago
Quoted from mrbillishere:

My choice would be the Italian Beef and hand-cut fries at Nana's in Streamwood ...

Quoted from benheck:

Nana's is awesome, well worth a visit!

Hell yeah! They have some of the best Italian beef and fries in the entire Chicago area.

#19159 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Here is my take. I believe that John has somehow convinced this Dhaval and this AimTron company to reverse engineer the PROC system and reproduce the system he needs for these games. In turn, if the games somehow actually get produced, the "NEW" American Pinball has a product to sell. Meanwhile, leaving all the original buyers in the dust, shit out of luck. Dhaval get his money if, and only if the games get produced and sell. John probably had enough in the prototypes to convince this guy to take a complete leap of faith.

John already had a working board set, that wasn't the problem. He needed a mechanical engineer more than most things, but he definitely needed other things as well.

#19160 7 years ago

I signed up for the email list....no news yet....

#19161 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

He needed a mechanical engineer more than most things, but he definitely needed other things as well.

He had more than one, but he ignored them, so nothing got done. His biggest downfall is delegating what he was supposed to be known for (artist), and not delegating very well where he needed help (mechanical, electrical, programming).

#19162 7 years ago

maybe they'll combine them all into Zombie Alice in Magicland.

#19163 7 years ago

Well Dan thank you for doing the legwork. That was really cool of you. I don't think any of us were surprised to find out that there weren't any obvious signs of manufacturing happening... please do share anything else they might email you in the future.

The last time I saw Papadiuk was on 12-26-2014, while I was getting the last of our stuff moved from Bartlett to Colorado. It was two months after his epic failure at Expo. I was there for roughly ninety minutes and it was more of the same BS. He was high on a big reveal to come after the first of the year, and told me manufacturing of MG would begin in March. The entire thing was just more of the same. By then I had already paid in full for RAZA so there was nothing to do but - gently - try and pry actual factual details out of him. Even in person, it was extremely frustrating, I can only imagine what the guys that were calling and talking to him on the phone instead went through. I recorded the whole episode but haven't played it back as I'm sure it would only get me pissed again.

So for this new startup, we could be kind and literally print a couple pages of history out and mail it to them. It could prevent great harm, in the form of any compensation paid to JPOP for anything other than sweeping floors at the local McD's.

#19164 7 years ago

Today A guy asked to to apply to a drafting job at American Pinball. Ah, you got the wrong place.

2 months ago a programmer walked into my shop for a 2pm interview. Um wrong co.

#19165 7 years ago
Quoted from GAP:

Today A guy asked to to apply to a drafting job at American Pinball. Ah, you got the wrong place.

Haha Mike, that is too funny. Gee, ever think of branching out?

#19166 7 years ago

I am branching out. Maybe an announcement on the horizon in 2017,maybe. Just not in pinball manufacturing. Taking a step tonight researching the market, locations and tasting beer all in the same night.

#19167 7 years ago

I've heard this guy's name before.

Pretty sure he's the new investor.

My question would be, why not just pile your money in the parking lot and burn it? At least get a free show and maybe roast some marshmallows.

#19168 7 years ago
Quoted from mrbillishere:

It could prevent great harm

Ahhh I see what you did there

Quoted from GAP:Today A guy asked to to apply to a drafting job at American Pinball. Ah, you got the wrong place.

Hmmm this is interesting

#19169 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

My question would be, why not just pile your money in the parking lot and burn it? At least get a free show and maybe roast some marshmallows.

Wow, poor guy. An actual "investor". Hard to believe someone dumb enough exists after Bill. (Bill was great btw, and Dan for the help)

#19170 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

He had more than one, but he ignored them, so nothing got done. His biggest downfall is delegating what he was supposed to be known for (artist), and not delegating very well where he needed help (mechanical, electrical, programming).

Honestly, his biggest downfall was not paying you guys. Cheap bastard that wanted it all for himself.

#19171 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Honestly, his biggest downfall was not paying you guys. Cheap bastard that wanted it all for himself.

I never wanted any money, I was totally fine with experience and helping with the project. I quit caring when he ignored me and coped an attitude.

#19172 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I never wanted any money, I was totally fine with experience and helping with the project. I quit caring when he ignored me and coped an attitude.

Another dumb ass move, the people that wanted to help him like you, myself, Aaron and many others he just dumped on.

#19173 7 years ago
Quoted from investingdad:

maybe they'll combine them all into Zombie Alice in Magicland.

Zombie Ben Heck transgenders into Alice in Magicland?

rd

#19174 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I've heard this guy's name before.

Yeah, but this burn pile lasts longer, and there's probably a tax write-off somewhere.

#19175 7 years ago
Quoted from GAP:

I wondered if that might happen - you have a front row seat.

#19176 7 years ago
Quoted from GAP:

If it happens again, ask who they are looking for. When they give a name say you don't know anyone by that name(s). Might be a way to get more info.

#19177 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

To have a new manufacturer attempt to throw their hat in the ring in the year 2016 is crazy.

And then this one gets to try to do it with the baggage of John attached to it. And likely with the taint of 100+ customers being burned and never being made right. Who's left that will buy these games? Sure, "someone" will buy a game, but not a lot.

John's "box of lights" sure does dazzle people, to this day, it seems.

#19178 7 years ago

You would think any potential investor would take one look at the nearly 20,000 posts in this thread, and turn around and run away as fast as they can.

#19179 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

You would think any potential investor would take one look at the nearly 20,000 posts in this thread, and turn around and run away as fast as they can.

Reading posts is hard.

rd

#19180 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Quoted from rotordave:

Reading posts is hard.
rd

Edit: There is a support group. There should be a printed flyer. Welcome to the group you don't want to be a part of. Some times you feel angry, some times stupid. Your late to this game, deal with shock at first.

#19181 7 years ago

So the next episode in this whole fiasco. They should make a movie about this.

Who should they cast for JPOP?

#19182 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

His biggest downfall is delegating what he was supposed to be known for (artist), and not delegating very well where he needed help (mechanical, electrical, programming).

I would top that with his obvious egotistical pride, a lack of common business sense, and he still needs to learn plenty about pinball before going into manufacturing.

My downfall was that I believed him on his supposedly designer reputation alone, and gave him money.
Dumb a$$.

#19183 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Edit: There is a support group. There should be a printed flyer. Welcome to the group you don't want to be a part of. Some times you feel angry, some times stupid. Your late to this game, deal with shock at first.

"Reading posts is hard" is a play on "making pinball is hard"

rd

#19184 7 years ago
Quoted from bounoun:

al (resized).pngal (resized).png

#19185 7 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

My downfall was that I believed him on his supposedly designer reputation alone, and gave him money.

You can't blame yourself.

Everyone has fallen for, and defended, their childhood heroes, despite the blatant evidence that others can clearly see.

Michael Jackson, OJ Simpson, Bill Cosby, Jerry Sandusky...........

#19186 7 years ago
Quoted from bounoun:

So the next episode in this whole fiasco. They should make a movie about this.

madoff (resized).jpgmadoff (resized).jpg

#19187 7 years ago
Quoted from bounoun:

Too bad Phillip Seymour Hoffman had to od. He was great at playing weirdos.

#19188 7 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Hey now, Australia's finest food export is the bloomin onion!

WTF is a Bloomin' Onion? Never seen one in Australia.

#19189 7 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Too bad Phillip Seymour Hoffman had to od. He was great at playing weirdos.

That's funny - as soon as I read the movie post it took only acouple seconds to think of him as well -- would have nailed the role 100% even has some striking resemblance of jpop.

#19190 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

"Reading posts is hard" is a play on "making pinball is hard"
rd

Kind of a double joke really -- knowing how long it *would* take to get thru this entire thread from the beginning. This has to be the top # of posts on a Pinside thread? Is there a way to check that?

#19191 7 years ago
Quoted from blue95:

You were probably too drunk on Australia's finest beverage export, Foster's, to notice.

#19192 7 years ago
Quoted from bounoun:

Danny Devito, but only if he wears his Pengiun makeup. image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#19193 7 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

You were probably too drunk on Australia's finest beverage export, Foster's, to notice.

cut it out - no self respecting Australian would drink that rubbish, that's WHY it's 'exported' - LOL

#19194 7 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

cut it out - no self respecting Australian would drink that rubbish, that's WHY it's 'exported' - LOL

You were probably too full of kangaroo meat to notice how drunk he was on Foster's.

#19195 7 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

You were probably too full of kangaroo meat to notice how drunk he was on Foster's.

I thought Aussies were partial to barbecued shrimp ...

#19196 7 years ago
Quoted from blue95:

Dunno, Outback crackhouse seems to have the Aussie market nailed! "Throw anotha shimp on the barbee!!"

#19197 7 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I thought Aussies were partial to barbecued shrimp ...

....except we call them "prawns" not shrimp

#19198 7 years ago
Quoted from blue95:

Large onion, battered and deep fried - basically one LARGE onion ring. Substitute for french fries or chips and fun dish to share. It's good but not so healthy Best dish to share.

bloomingonion (resized).jpgbloomingonion (resized).jpg

#19199 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

John already had a working board set, that wasn't the problem. He needed a mechanical engineer more than most things, ...

that might tie with begin programming, but it's definately in the top 5. That might be an interesting topic - Top 5 Things JPOP Did Wrong. I'd need to put my thinking cap on for that, and am sure it will be hard to pare the list.

#19200 7 years ago

Since we are OT on fake Australian cuisine for a moment; I spent a month living in Melbourne Australia last year. And here's what I learned about their cuisine:
- in general, where we excessively sweeten/Sugar things.. they are heavy handed with salt
- they are very serious about coffee and chocolate. They don't even know what drip coffee is.. either espresso or dehydrated for them, there is no middle ground.
- bar food standard is chicken parmesan.. or cause Aussies must abbreviate everything it's just 'parma' ; and they put ham on theirs.
- their 24hr 'drunk' food is kabobs
- they don't know what Mexican food is, extremely rare and sucky.
- due to a lot of immigration from Malaysia, they have top notch Asian food. Including a dish that is another staple there but haven't found one here: Laksa .. excellent
- the entire population of Australia is 21 million ish. Population of Los Angeles is 18million ish. Nobody lives in he middle/a handful of dense cities makes up the continent. It also means stuff is expensive there cause not as much economy of scale.

Alright , sorry for OT. My only 2 cents was having a friend of mine from college also get tempted to work for him for software until talk of setting up a contract for work (he has kids mouths to feed) made JPOP not return his calls.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!
Plastics
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!
Other
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mclean, VA
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements
Pinball Machine
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation
Decorations
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation
Rubber/Silicone
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 24,471 posts in this topic. You are on page 384 of 490.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6mg-raza-and-aiw%E2%80%A6/page/384 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.