John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,288 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 170 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,694 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png
B3F72CE8-1FCA-4E93-9994-CCC068D8F4C2 (resized).jpeg
7A86BB52-E1F5-4086-955C-86A6383C27D3 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

21 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24288 posts in this topic. You are on page 382 of 486.
#19051 2 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

Just curious, what was the "Mad Hatter Edition"?

It was a whatever you could imagine to make you part with your money. Much better than the Cheshire cat edition.

Oh my! I didn't think he actually received funds for that machine too.

Still blows my mind that he is not in a cell. He had to have broken all kinds of laws. So sad to keep seeing wreckage.

Kevin seems to be slowly getting his upcomings. John being let off the hook?

#19052 2 years ago
Quoted from investingdad:

What is with his obsessive use of "quotes"?
Is he "trying" to convey "extra" meaning?

"wink"

#19053 2 years ago

I just cannot understand how John has not been visited by any "personal debt collectors".

#19054 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

In the US, online purchases are not taxed as long as you don't live in the same state as the company you are buying from.

Not completely true, in many states you are required to declare these purchases and pay a 'use tax'. In some cases you can pay a flat tax to cover your purchases for the year when you file your taxes. Obviously, not declaring could lead to charges of tax evasion and/or interest and penalties.

No doubt this is going to change at some point, states are losing too much revenue over this. Obviously the brick and mortar stores have been pushing on this as well, since it puts them at disadvantage.

#19055 2 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

You got an actual invoice, I never got squat. When the bankruptcy finally happens you at least have some paperwork to send to a trustee.

Kidding? What a mess...so you have no proof?
John's wife was employed there too, what was here job?
Did she send out bills and stuff?

#19056 2 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

I just cannot understand how John has not been visited by any "personal debt collectors".

Are you certain he hasn't?

#19057 2 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Kevin seems to be slowly getting his upcomings. John being let off the hook?

I am wondering about this as well, the last update said case transferred for trial but that was 8 months ago.

image_(resized).png

#19058 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

Kidding? What a mess...so you have no proof?

I personally know of someone that handed him a wad of $2000 in cash, and he just took it and put it on a table, and that was the end of it.

I know this is all insane. It just shows what trust everyone had in John at one point, and how he destroyed that.

#19059 2 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I personally know of someone that handed him a wad of $2000 in cash, and he just took it and put it on a table, and that was the end of it.
I know this is all insane. It just shows what trust everyone had in John at one point, and how he destroyed that.

Lol, yes in hindsight it is insane?
But some people you trust easily, i burned myself on one of my customers a few times and every time i could not believe i did business again with this pathological imbecil?
And if you would meet the guy, you will trust him with your wallet.
Since jpop and this guy, i scan everybody the same way.

#19060 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

In the US, online purchases are not taxed as long as you don't live in the same state as the company you are buying from.

Quoted from rosh:

Not completely true, in many states you are required to declare these purchases and pay a 'use tax'.

I wonder if some states that enforce it will still come after the use tax on these being that money did change hands.

#19061 2 years ago

There are a ton of comedy gold nuggets in this you tube video looking back on it, one being the "kick starter" failure he tried right before MG.

If you go to about the 30 minute mark he starts talking about MG and "having an engineering sample done" really soon. Mind you, this was 2012.

And he goes on to talk about Ben Heck and Pinball Wars. "Team Heck, really young guys, and they work for FREE"!

36 minutes in, Jpop shows a pic of himself with a dunce cap on and Ben Heck as Einstein!

John says, "I work 7 days a week building pinball"

And the selling of Zombie and Ben Heck begins. 49 minutes in the "Kickstarter" trailer for Zombieland.

Minute 56 summarizes why John failed and Ben made it.

"Using the PROC system". Q & A starts about 1:10. Some laughable answers in hindsight! The level of BS is amazing.

1:20 he tries to explain how all the vendors want you to buy at least 25 of something, that's how MG went from 13 to 19 with a few protos.

Says he actually sold 5 Do it yourself kits!!!! Ben and Jpop are coming to your house and stay for a day to help build it!!!!

Yep, the Q & A is priceless.

Don't forget the whole "Made in the USA" pitch John was making.

#19062 2 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Are you certain he hasn't?

Well, we can see he hasn't been fitted with cement shoes, require a wheel chair, or walk with a severe limp. So I would have to say no, Guido the debt collector has not made a personal visit.

#19063 2 years ago

I'll say it again... I've not forgotten... Where's my F%$&*ing money?!

Get_Shorty_(resized).jpg

#19064 2 years ago

Oh yeah... here it is. An empty box.
Love the sign... "Quality Carries a Big Punch.... (in the ass)"
Zombiebox_(resized).jpg

#19065 2 years ago

He truly is a worthless piece of shit.

#19066 2 years ago

Well he did warn all of us at 41:27 ?
When people refer to their mind like that, you should abort.

#19067 2 years ago

The art does look good, though.

#19068 2 years ago

I just love how crazy-steep the cab is. His ZidWare(TM) cabs are steeper, thus hold more(nothing) pinball fun than the competitors.

Screw it, I'm just gonna make a pinball cab that's at 45 degrees for a slope.

#19069 2 years ago

Well, actually if you look you can see the art design inside the cab to get a better reference of the playfield slope. A bit of the height in the rear was to accommodate the DMD above the playfield.

It just never quite made it to the playfield completion stage..... Art looks good though!! (Thank you Zombie Yeti!!)

raza_lcd_screen_layout_parallax_(resized).jpg

Quoted from s1500:

I just love how crazy-steep the cab is. His ZidWare(TM) cabs are steeper, thus hold more(nothing) pinball fun than the competitors.

#19070 2 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

...the DMD above the playfield...

You mean like CV? The number of thing he take from his old [successful] games is astoundingly lame.

I wonder if that angle gives you a complete reflection of the backglass on the playfield glass. That would be real bad.

#19071 2 years ago

Is it any wonder no one would hire John?

He realized he was F ed early on. That's why he suckered Ben Heck in with Zombies in 2012.

The whole "we are going to make a pinball machine about you Ben" was a JOKE (no offense Ben), and while I called him out on it back then it should have sent flashing red warning sirens going off.

Ben leaving him behind to join Charlie was more red sirens flashing.

He conned well respected Cointaker folks to join in as well with the "special editions". Creating a sense of legitimacy and feel good.

Kickstarter Con Man.

#19072 2 years ago

"Suckered in" isn't the right term, just seemed cool to get to work with a legend! Back then nobody thought any differently. This happens ALL THE TIME with indie Kickstarters, everybody wants to work with [insert old school programmer here] until they realize it's a bunch of bull.

I also thought a game about me was stupid. Flattering, but stupid. I'm a lot of things, but egoistical isn't one of them. Comes from growing up a short, red head ginger. I didn't even want our show to be called "The Ben Heck Show" (my idea was "Circuit Breakers") but I was overruled.

But in hindsight, he probably just wanted our boardset. Remember he also asked Gerry to make a "a custom cheaper PROC" for $0 engineering fee, then when he *shockingly* said NO John hired somebody else to rip off PROC. pinHeck would have been underpowered for a game like John's but I doubt he knew enough to be aware of that.

Aside from the "anybody who walks through the door NDA" John never had a formal agreement or contract with me. There was no indication of payments, royalties, usage of likeness, nothing. I spent *maybe* 40 hours total brainstorming with him. Never went anywhere. Go to his shop, design a pointless 3D part, get lunch while it prints. Bunch of BS.

So yes, not a hard decision to go help Charlie instead (who said "we'll pay you X per game!" wow simple right?) It wasn't just me, John went through all his help like shit through a goose.

#19073 2 years ago

I can also attest to much of what Ben is saying having also dealt with John personally on this project.

It was great at first to get a phone call from someone whose games you grew up playing. I was originally contacted to do the software and operating system for his games (not just MG, but the system and framework common to all of his games that use the same boardset). He was willing to talk for hours about how they did things in the "old days" and whatnot. When it came to the technical aspects or even financial aspects of our conversations regarding timelines and the technology he would use, he was generally clueless. He was very quick to try to appeal to me to "come work with the real game designers and do something great". However when any discussions of compensation came up, they were quickly shut down and I was told that it would be an "apprenticeship." This was in the middle of 2012 and I had said no. He contacted me again about a year or so later.

I'm glad I got out of it unscathed, but I really really do hate it for the people that did step up and try to pull the project together because they thought it was "good for pinball."

-- Jimmy

#19074 2 years ago

Ugh. The guy couldn't get out of his own way.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#19075 2 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Not completely true, in many states you are required to declare these purchases and pay a 'use tax'. In some cases you can pay a flat tax to cover your purchases for the year when you file your taxes. Obviously, not declaring could lead to charges of tax evasion and/or interest and penalties.
No doubt this is going to change at some point, states are losing too much revenue over this. Obviously the brick and mortar stores have been pushing on this as well, since it puts them at disadvantage.

You're right, I always forget about that until it's time to file.

#19076 2 years ago
Quoted from investingdad:

The art does look good, though.

What I was thinking. The art is awesome especially on Magic Girl.

#19077 2 years ago

Yeah nice painting for the living room

#19078 2 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

However when any discussions of compensation came up, they were quickly shut down and I was told that it would be an "apprenticeship."

It's really sad that he thought he was the only one who should get paid, and in the end WAS the only person who got paid.

I wonder, when he retells his stories about how he started at Bally, the stories he likes to tell over and over again.... was he unpaid then? I doubt it. So I don't know where this "everyone should work for free" comes from.

As a customer, paying a premium price for a premium product, I definitely did not expect the people who worked on it to work on it for free.

#19079 2 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

It's really sad that he thought he was the only one who should get paid, and in the end WAS the only person who got paid.
I wonder, when he retells his stories about how he started at Bally, the stories he likes to tell over and over again.... was he unpaid then? I doubt it. So I don't know where this "everyone should work for free" comes from.
As a customer, paying a premium price for a premium product, I definitely did not expect the people who worked on it to work on it for free.

Re-reading my comment earlier, I think it also goes without saying that I feel terrible about the customers who sent in money that didn't get what they paid for (and what was falsely promised to them).

The guy is way out there, and is a bit narcissistic. Most of the time he thought people would be glad to jump on the bandwagon to work with him. Sadly, many of us were.

However when I found out that it was unpaid, I began to step away. When I found out that he just wanted to clone the entire P-ROC board system and framework, that was the point I stopped talking to him entirely.

#19080 2 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

I can also attest to much of what Ben is saying having also dealt with John personally on this project.......

He was very quick to try to appeal to me to "come work with the real game designers and do something great". However when any discussions of compensation came up, they were quickly shut down and I was told that it would be an "apprenticeship."
-- Jimmy

Which proves to me that John knew EXACTLY what he was doing, and I believe that Jon had devised this as his plan all along. He figured he could use his reputation to build a dream team of free labors, programming, and materials under this guise of an apprenticeship, come work with the big dogs! By doing this, without the labor costs, he also figured he could then afford his new warehouse and all the amenities he was partaking in with the monies he collected from orders coming in. This is where it ALL really backfired on him, and he quickly learned that he was never going to recover. He then HAD to chase the money and take new orders just to keep things somewhat rolling know full well he was fucked. I don't think he planned on stealing anything, but in hindsight that is how it turned out. Everyone who forked money over to him sure bought into it.

On the contrary, if he had pulled this off, he would have made himself quite a financial windfall that would have put him in the genius category. He actually could have pulled this off if he didn't spend wildly in the beginning. If he had clamped down, not spent like a madman, and actually got just one game under production and delivered, he would have had it all to spend later.

#19081 2 years ago

My apologies Ben, "suckered in" certainly isn't the right term, that should be reserved for consumers like myself. The collective story and what he was purported to be building, and those involved, "suckered" me in.

This was 2012, the crazy thing is he had the $$$ then and all he had to do was sign simple agreements, actually pay people for the work they do and he might still be in business today.

Probably not because he couldn't work with anybody but at least there would have been a chance. This man needed a project manager in the worst way.

Like Compy says, "narcissist", I'll say extreme narcissist based on the conversations i had with him.

Oh well, life goes on, still interested to see how it plays out.

#19082 2 years ago

So working with/for JPop is like herding cats? I hear that doesn't work out very well either.

#19083 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekie:

So working with/for JPop is like herding cats? I hear that doesn't work out very well either.

Thats exactly what its like. The guy was everywhere and likely would trail off into several days worth of discussion on patentable ideas and if the sky really is blue.

#19084 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekie:

There is sometimes only a small window for success.

pasted_image (resized).png

#19085 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

and he might still be in business today.

I hope no one actually believes this; it's not true. Even at $17K per game, 26 games was not nearly enough to completely redesign every piece of a pinball game (e.g. right down to custom leg brackets).

#19086 2 years ago
Quoted from KerryImming:

I hope no one actually believes this; it's not true. Even at $17K per game, 26 games was not nearly enough to completely redesign every piece of a pinball game (e.g. right down to custom leg brackets).

Magic Girl was never going to be done with MG money alone. That he could not deliver it with MG AND Raza AND AIW money is the bigger joke.

#19087 2 years ago
Quoted from KerryImming:

He was planning to do 50 MG pins before expo.

He did actually turn down $$ from myself and Bill, thankfully, as a deposit on MG. He was getting major blow back from original guys, and rightly so.

He tells me at that time, "it's not reasonable for the owners to think we could do such a small run"!

And most everybody thought he was near completion at that time on MG, including the owners that went and visited

Can't make this shit up

#19088 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

There is sometimes only a small window for success.

Judging by how much money he stole, I'd say JPoP was an expert cat wrangler.

#19089 2 years ago
Quoted from KerryImming:

Thing is, HE might actually think he is still in business.

#19090 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

There are a ton of comedy gold nuggets in this you tube video looking back on it, one being the "kick starter" failure he tried right before MG.

JPOP_unfinished (resized).jpg

#19091 2 years ago

I tried watching the video but the rambling and disjointed presentation became a little too much.

#19092 2 years ago

Are these fragments of his website or is he still playing behind the scenes?

http://www.zidware.com/inventor/index.html

It does say "2016" and is his scribbling. But the main website makes if look like a new company or that someone bought the domain. I think he is hiding the front page with this social media thing as a cover.

http://www.zidware.com/

#19093 2 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Are these fragments of his website or is he still playing behind the scenes?

http://www.zidware.com/inventor/index.html

That page is is new. The zidware.com is also still his. Zidware was an app company before it was a pinball company, so he always had stupid clip art up there.

This is also his M.O.... toil away on useless stuff, like hand coding html pages, while you claim you are working 7 x 14.

#19094 2 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

That page is is new. The zidware.com is also still his. Zidware was an app company before it was a pinball company, so he always had stupid clip art up there.
This is also his M.O.... toil away on useless stuff, like hand coding html pages, while you claim you are working 7 x 14.

Yes, his "nanoschool" company or whatever releasing apps on iTunes.

Has anyone seen this - http://gamecenter.nyu.edu/three-questions-with-john-popadiuk/

#19095 2 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

.... toil away on useless stuff, like hand coding html pages, while you claim you are working 7 x 14.

... and whacking off and surfing the net aren't work either. Gomer Pile would have summarized JPOP fiasco in this manner. "For shame, for shame, for shame".

#19096 2 years ago

Still happy I didn't go after the "CAD Monkey" job posting he had. He didn't seem to blink at it being a hobby/second job for me, probably because there wasn't going to be a paycheck, so any hours put in would be great.

#19097 2 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

What would you do if you saw JPOP at Expo this year walking around? I wonder if he's that clueless that he would actually show up.

GOT style...just follow him around yelling "SHAME!" until he leaves.

#19098 2 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

What would you do if you saw JPOP at Expo this year walking around? I wonder if he's that clueless that he would actually show up.

Quoted from Rarehero:

GOT style...just follow him around yelling "SHAME!" until he leaves.

Well if people have the same balls as the guy who saw Kevin at an auction they will follow him from behind and take a picture. Maybe almost talk to him or hold the door for him if he buys something.

#19099 2 years ago

Need flashinstinct to make some "Where's the machine(s)" logos and shirts.

#19100 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

... and whacking off and surfing the net aren't work either.

Fuck. 8 years of study down the drain.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Mods for your pinballs
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
$ 39.95
Playfield - Protection
Little Shop Of Games
$ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Mods for your pinballs
There are 24288 posts in this topic. You are on page 382 of 486.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside