(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,288 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 168 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,694 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png
B3F72CE8-1FCA-4E93-9994-CCC068D8F4C2 (resized).jpeg
7A86BB52-E1F5-4086-955C-86A6383C27D3 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

21 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24288 posts in this topic. You are on page 377 of 486.
#18801 3 years ago

I follow this thread with some sort of morbid curiosity, but this made me think...

Quoted from stangbat:

Think if John spent time actually getting shit done instead of dreaming up things that will never see the light of day. But getting shit done is hard. Sitting on your ass dreaming all day is much easier.

Honestly, if John could have had a secondary person whose job it was to run the business side of things and keep his dreaming in line, I wonder how things would have worked out. From my limited interactions with John from the MGC, and as I've stated before, I don't believe that he was trying to be a criminal mastermind or steal everyone's money - he really believed his ideas that he had could be created and would be better than anything that came along before. And perhaps he was right, but we'll never know because his business acumen was so bad (or non-existent) that he was never going to get anywhere.

Walt Disney was a huge dreamer too and went bankrupt multiple times. It wasn't until his brother Roy came in and ran the business side and corralled his brother's ambition into a way facing forward that Walt's dreams started to be a success.

From having seen John's ideas for things, he was a wealth of pinball ideas, but he kept coming up with small ones that ultimately didn't mesh. If he had someone nearby who when he would stop working on Magic Girl to figure out the new lighting system for KISS (which was cool) who could have said, "Knock that off or do it when you're not here, we need to finish this!" and who could have coordinated the building of the machines, I actually do think that it would have worked and could have been great.

But... we'll never know, sadly. Dreamers don't make good businessmen.

#18802 3 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I follow this thread with some sort of morbid curiosity, but this made me think...

Honestly, if John could have had a secondary person whose job it was to run the business side of things and keep his dreaming in line, I wonder how things would have worked out. From my limited interactions with John from the MGC, and as I've stated before, I don't believe that he was trying to be a criminal mastermind or steal everyone's money - he really believed his ideas that he had could be created and would be better than anything that came along before. And perhaps he was right, but we'll never know because his business acumen was so bad (or non-existent) that he was never going to get anywhere.
Walt Disney was a huge dreamer too and went bankrupt multiple times. It wasn't until his brother Roy came in and ran the business side and corralled his brother's ambition into a way facing forward that Walt's dreams started to be a success.
From having seen John's ideas for things, he was a wealth of pinball ideas, but he kept coming up with small ones that ultimately didn't mesh. If he had someone nearby who when he would stop working on Magic Girl to figure out the new lighting system for KISS (which was cool) who could have said, "Knock that off or do it when you're not here, we need to finish this!" and who could have coordinated the building of the machines, I actually do think that it would have worked and could have been great.

He definitely needed someone to do the boring business side, while he did the creative side.

However, you still need to resolve two other issues: the ability to manufacture it; and also locking down the design so it can go to production. He seemed to have trouble calling the design done and moving it to the manufacturing process. He always seemed to have yet another idea he wanted to try out.

I don't know that his ego/personality would have let other people make those decisions and given them the space to get the job done. I don't he would have liked someone having to edit his design because something wasn't feasible.

#18803 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

My best guess is that JPop is hoping to get his patent issued involving the display acting in coordination with the switches that are in close proximity to the display, so he could then sue Stern and JJP for infringement as a way to make money.

Takes money to sue. Obviously he can find someone to take on contingency and plenty of companies that specialize in patent infringement. Considering it has been rejected once, increases the likelihood of it not holding up to a challenge either. I also think the odds of winning on appeal are slim. Of course, JPop hoping this somehow is his deus ex machina, along with a mysterious benefactor will show up and give him a huge chunk of money 'for the love of pinball'. Unfortunately for him, this is not a novel where you can just write a happy ending.

#18804 3 years ago

Even with the best business team around him, jpop would still never release a pin. You are kidding yourself if you think he would not still piss through all the money trying to make everything 'perfect' (even though the best part of his games are the artwork, which he didn't even do). On top of that, even if the business team tried to strongarm him out to get the pin released, he would then piss the money away in court... so either way, nothing would be different from the current situation.

#18805 3 years ago

John's ads for zidware are also still showing on vpforums.org but that's probably because they never removed them..
I don't think he'll keep paying for them ?

#18806 3 years ago
Quoted from aeneas:

John's ads for zidware are also still showing on vpforums.org but that's probably because they never removed them..
I don't think he'll keep paying for them ?

Seems fitting Zidware is advertising there, allegedly the guy who owns that site is tied to Predator and took in a shit load of money for nothing (outside of getting fancy equipment for his own business).

#18807 3 years ago
Quoted from Tigger64:

However, you still need to resolve two other issues: the ability to manufacture it; and also locking down the design so it can go to production. He seemed to have trouble calling the design done and moving it to the manufacturing process. He always seemed to have yet another idea he wanted to try out.
I don't know that his ego/personality would have let other people make those decisions and given them the space to get the job done. I don't he would have liked someone having to edit his design because something wasn't feasible.

That's what the boring business person would have had to have done. The truth of the matter is that he had both of those things locked down at one point before - when he worked for Williams. Someone else could say the design had to be done and moved to manufacturing, and it was. There is some debate that has come out since about if others helped push him along into those things, but no matter what, he did design games in the past. So, while he may not have liked it, a partner with which to build with could have been the thing to take this from a giant disaster to a success.

Having said that, he didn't do that - either because he didn't know himself well enough, ego, or whatever. But, it's clearly a key thing that was needed to get done to make this happen...

#18808 3 years ago

John needed someone to run the business, and an engineer to make his 'dreams' actually work properly, physically. But he wasn't having any of that. A long line of people offered to help john in the areas that he needed and were rejected outright, or accepted and then driven away by the insanity of the whole thing.

#18809 3 years ago

This was never going to succeed with John running things, in charge of bank account, etc.

He announced he brought on a project manager, but then stopped taking his calls. He was never accountable to anyone, including us.

#18810 3 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

A long line of people offered to help john in the areas that he needed and were rejected outright, or accepted and then driven away by the insanity of the whole thing.

Oh, I agree with that. I am just saying that I think that this could have been a success had he actually partnered with someone to do this, and when in the past he worked within that environment he did find success.

If he hadn't had that success initially, he wouldn't have ever gotten people to send him money. Some of the ideas that he had really were cool and innovative, although without someone there to monetize them / force them through to completion, it was not to be.

#18811 3 years ago

It didn't make sense to me that he would spend so much time tweaking the artwork without having the basic layout locked down. However, hope springs eternal and by then my deposit for RAZA was already committed.

I no longer see any scenario in which a good pinball machine would have been produced with John as the sole designer and in control of the company.

A cautionary tale, hindsight is 20/20, lots of red flags, etc...

I'll be more careful where I put my money next time.

#18812 3 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

this could have been a success had he actually partnered with someone to do this, and when in the past he worked within that environment he did find success.

that partner would also have to have been an accountant / payroll person because as many have said, it seemed that the moment John recieved pre-order money he thought of it as "his money". As Ben, and many business people say.. if you get paid upfront, you've lost the motivation to finish. See "catch a contractor" as an example:

#18813 3 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

That woudn't have worked out. Dreamers aren't made for self-employment and if it would still be his company, he would call the shots at the end after all. He had the opportunity with Stern that made him an offer helping him out and he neglected out of pride.

#18814 3 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

I found the posts by Zaxxis that list all the domains John registered. What a flake. Think if John spent time actually getting shit done instead of dreaming up things that will never see the light of day. But getting shit done is hard. Sitting on your ass dreaming all day is much easier.

thanks stangbat for reposting zaxxis domain searches.. Went on the wayback machine, and many pages aren't archived (but some are):

https://web.archive.org/web/20141217030425/http://creationgames.org/

https://web.archive.org/web/20150420104915/http://pinball1977.com/

https://web.archive.org/web/20130703225229/http://rockstarpinball.com

https://web.archive.org/web/20150228190926/http://pinballscrapbook.com/

https://web.archive.org/web/20141218122800/http://zidbook.org/

https://web.archive.org/web/20141217171407/http://makerjohn.net/

https://web.archive.org/web/20160305164224/http://nanoschool.org/

Perhaps more fuel for the lawyers to prove the case that 14 hour days 7 days a week wasn't completely focused on fulfilling contracts.

#18815 3 years ago

This thread still kicking?

#18816 3 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

This thread still kicking?

It's like the hallucinogenic release in the brain just before death....

thread_is_dead_(resized).jpg

#18817 3 years ago

I keep checking hoping to hear how the lawsuit is progressing.The whole woulda ,shoulda,coulda,stuff is so 2014/15.

#18818 3 years ago
Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

I keep checking hoping to hear how the lawsuit is progressing.The whole woulda ,shoulda,coulda,stuff is so 2014/15.

There is a lawsuit?

I asked nobody wanted to give me an answer.

#18821 3 years ago

So, he has money to delay, delay, delay, delay? My ex had the same tactic to bleed me, but in the end I won out because she was crazy. She had a lawyer that was expert at delay. She paid in the end.

#18822 3 years ago

The cited suit has a max payout of $30K?

#18823 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

So, he has money to delay, delay, delay, delay? My ex had the same tactic to bleed me, but in the end I won out because she was crazy. She had a lawyer that was expert at delay. She paid in the end.

I've seen situations where in an ugly divorce, the attorneys will bleed you dry until there is no more money for you and your spouse to fight over, once that happens things get settled quickly.

1 week later
#18825 3 years ago

bump to the top, been awhile.......any new news?

#18826 3 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I missed that year. It's amazing he couldn't even bother to attempt to color match the leg protectors, or trim the bottom to fit his custom cabinet.

just for the record, those are not leg protectors in any way shape or form. They should be called Cabinet destroyers, because that is what they do. Do not use them. ever. Unless you have a real piece of shit cabinet and want to temp cover up the already damage, and don't care if you get more farther into the cabinet.

Magic girl start shipping yet? no? carry on.

#18827 3 years ago

New year / new judge... Radio silence for 5 months while the case is being prepared for a jury trial. We all know John will lose this in front of a panel of peer citizens. The deceit is so black and white.

#18828 3 years ago

I really thought you guys would have taken over his house or something by now, in the Netherlands we still stone people for shit like this.
Take it to court, sure...
Nothing happens??

#18829 3 years ago
Quoted from AliciaC:

New year / new judge... Radio silence for 5 months while the case is being prepared for a jury trial. We all know John will lose this in front of a panel of peer citizens. The deceit is so black and white.

It really depends on how shrewd his legal defense is. There are many shades of grey. He could easily be found innocent. Why do you think he continued to show games available for ordering? Just because he sent a letter stating he couldn't get games produced does not mean he didn't keep trying to "find a way to get it done". He was under no obligation to send another letter out the moment he found a new way to accomplish this.

For the record, I feel he's a worthless piece of shit and have no interest in his Zidware machines and never have.

#18830 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

depends on how shrewd his legal defense is. There are many shades of grey.

Haha .. Fifty Shades of JPOOP ...

#18831 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

I really thought you guys would have taken over his house or something by now, in the Netherlands we still stone people for shit like this.

In the Netherlands you make people stoned, yes.

#18832 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

Take it to court, sure...
Nothing happens??

Best we can do here is publicly humiliate them. Stone them we would like.

Trump may change all that. LOL!
OK... STONE ME!

#18833 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

It really depends on how shrewd his legal defense is. There are many shades of grey. He could easily be found innocent. Why do you think he continued to show games available for ordering? Just because he sent a letter stating he couldn't get games produced does not mean he didn't keep trying to "find a way to get it done". He was under no obligation to send another letter out the moment he found a new way to accomplish this.
For the record, I feel he's a worthless piece of shit and have no interest in his Zidware machines and never have.

Unless he had a set delivery date, nothing is breached. He can go to court and state he is still working on it.

#18834 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Unless he had a set delivery date, nothing is breached. He can go to court and state he is still working on it.

I don't have the agreement in front of me, but there was an initial date given, and words to the effect that if the delivery date changes, that will be communicated to the customer.

He doesn't have the right to disappear for years and pretend he is still working on it, not updating his customers or answering their calls. All blogs have been abandoned, his facebook deleted, website not updated.

So, any lawyer in court will make mince meat out of his "I'm still working on it" defense.

#18835 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Check out the FTC rules regarding shipping and sliding schedules
https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/business-guide-ftcs-mail-internet-or-telephone-order

#18837 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Unless he had a set delivery date, nothing is breached.

That's not true. He said he can not make the pins, there's a letter somewhere back a year or so ago and this is as good as saying he's in breach of contract. Also if it's proven that he's not capable of fufulling his end of the agreement (i.e. There is no money left) he's in breach.

#18838 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

That's not true. He said he can not make the pins, there's a letter somewhere back a year or so ago and this is as good as saying he's in breach of contract. Also if it's proven that he's not capable of fufulling his end of the agreement (i.e. There is no money left) he's in breach.

This is true and all of us "owners" (and our attorney) have a copy of the letter John sent out saying that he was unable to build the games. Crazy to think he pissed away all of our money on his own wages and a shop that he could putter around in and in the end he accomplished nothing. The old saying "stupid should hurt" definitely applys here, I was very stupid to trust John and it hurts to of lost my hard earned $$.

#18839 3 years ago

Cool, sorry for the misunderstanding. He definitely needs to feel the pain.

#18840 3 years ago

Another money-stealing fiasco...
Take a look at this cringe-inducing video :

#18841 3 years ago
Quoted from Lowrent:

Take a look at this cringe-inducing video : » YouTube video

You gotta love that. I like on the web page where they say right at the very end... the most IMPORTANT thing... govt clearance to even be able to sell the thing... was somehow overlooked. So even without the theft (or scam) they STILL wouldn't be shipping anything.

Sounds like Predator for sure... we overlooked the license!

#18842 3 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

So, any lawyer in court will make mince meat out of his "I'm still working on it" defense.

The problem is no lawyer in the world is going to continue to prosecute this case for nothing/peanuts.

It will die a slow and ugly death.

Btw, who has the MG prototypes?

#18843 3 years ago

Interesting.... I recall some similar rules paypal had that it seemed Jpop violated as well...

Wondering how this law might apply to the sliding delivery dates of the other boutiques (JJP, DP, etc)? Seems like this could touch their practices as well?

#18844 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The problem is no lawyer in the world is going to continue to prosecute this case for nothing/peanuts.

Isn't that the same as representing pinsiders?

#18845 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Isn't that the same as representing pinsiders?

That's my point, "peanuts" from pinsiders ain't gettin it done. A noble try though.

#18846 3 years ago
Quoted from Lowrent:

Take a look at this cringe-inducing video : » YouTube video

That is some bad acting there.

#18847 3 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Interesting.... I recall some similar rules paypal had that it seemed Jpop violated as well...
Wondering how this law might apply to the sliding delivery dates of the other boutiques (JJP, DP, etc)? Seems like this could touch their practices as well?

problem is enforcement. You basically have to sue, or hope the government choses to sue to enforce it. It gives you an avenue, but its still on you to pursue.

#18848 3 years ago

got bored so I googled zidware. Apparently John didn't even draw his own company's logo, he ran a contest for others to create one for him:
https://99designs.com/logo-design/contests/zidware-custom-pinball-usa-needs-amazing-logo-171342
zidware_logo_contest_(resized).jpg

It was the silver package, so count another $500 down the drain for capital funding.

#18849 3 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

got bored so I googled zidware. Apparently John didn't even draw his own company's logo, he ran a contest for others to create one for him:
https://99designs.com/logo-design/contests/zidware-custom-pinball-usa-needs-amazing-logo-171342

It was the silver package, so count another $500 down the drain for capital funding.

What?! Are u kidding me?!
This is just ridiculous!

#18850 3 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

JPOP is the Milli Vanilli of the pinball world, the guy is like a lip sinking rockstar (that can't sing).

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 139.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
There are 24288 posts in this topic. You are on page 377 of 486.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside