(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,316 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 165 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,696 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sucks (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 376 of 487.
#18751 3 years ago

Anyone figure out how much he was paying himself and his family out of the company each year before the money ran out?

Someone earlier reported a conversation earlier in the thread where JPop told them he had "never made this much money in pinball before" (or something like that) when the preorder money started coming in. This was the problem, he viewed the preorder money as his money and not money he would zealously protect to ensure available funds would be ready for manufacture.

The fact that he is now blaming his preorder customers for his squandering of their money is shameful beyond measure. His attorney should be just as ashamed of himself as JPop.

#18752 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Anyone figure out how much he was paying himself and his family out of the company each year before the money ran out?
Someone earlier reported a conversation earlier in the thread where JPop told them he had "never made this much money in pinball before" (or something like that) when the preorder money started coming in. This was the problem, he viewed the preorder money as his money and not money he would zealously protect to ensure available funds would be ready for manufacture.
The fact that he is now blaming his preorder customers for his squandering of their money is shameful beyond measure. His attorney should be just as ashamed of himself as JPop.

Attorney and shame, lol That's a good one!!!

#18753 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I thought it was pretty much confirmed he was paying himself 90k/year? I don't know if he was paying his wife anything to be secretary of the company. Brandes would know for sure, he saw the books.

#18754 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Attorney and shame, lol That's a good one!!!

True, but often there are rules about attacking victims (the "she was asking for it wearing that skirt" defense is not allowed for example). Since this is a civil and not criminal matter the attorney feels he can attack the victims and tell them it is their own fault JPop took all that salary and couldn't deliver a game.

#18755 3 years ago

Bill went into the details last summer, after NW Show and Pintasia fell through.

If you're a new startup, and you're paying yourself more than "keep the lights on and don't starve" you're doing it wrong.

#18757 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

But he did have a contract and he didn't deliver jack shit. That's a breach of contract. And so John is not entitled to keep the money.

Of course you are correct, I just refered to "robbery". And yes, he can't keep the money but he can't give it back either... because he isn't keeping it. It's just gone.

So as said earlier, the people who lost money in this should hope for him that he gets any.

I personally -if in his shoes- would still see some possibilitys to get this game made in one way or another, but JPop allready made clear that he is not capable of doing any business decisions, that he is not willing to do any compromise to his personal beliefs in favor of his customers and kinda blames everone but himself.

#18758 3 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Of course you are correct, I just refered to "robbery". And yes, he can't keep the money but he can't give it back either... because he isn't keeping it. It's just gone.

Gone it may be but the frustrating thing is it was not all spent on development...a big chunk of it was spent on JPop's salary (and possibly a salary for his wife) as JPop raided the money to pay himself so he could pay his personal mortgage and bills.

Heck, I almost think Zidware should be forced to sue JPop (through some type of creative derivative based lawsuit) to get back that salary he was paid to develop a game he couldn't really do...obviously this won't happen for several reasons both legal and practical but Zidware itself (ironically) does appear to have a claim of its own against JPop.

#18759 3 years ago

Gotta wonder how much of his salary got squirreled away in retirement vehicles. Judge could make him cough that up.

#18760 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Gone it may be but the frustrating thing is it was not all spent on development...a big chunk of it was spent on JPop's salary (and possibly a salary for his wife) as JPop raided the money to pay himself so he could pay his personal mortgage and bills.

I wish someone would pay me $90,000 a year to putter around my shop.

#18761 3 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I wish someone would pay me $90,000 a year to putter around my shop.

Don't get me started on union jobs.

#18762 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I think it was Ben that broke down if you subtract John's (alleged) salary, and then the shop rent for the same amount of time, and multiply that over the 4 years, how little money there was left over for pretty much anything else, and certainly nothing left to build games.

It's so laughable that his defenders then would argue about how John was so frugal... keeping the heat low on this huge shop, where he rented the other side and built a door... for nothing (other than junk storage).

Then you consider the stories of John writing the Governor of Illinois that the taxes were too high and preventing him from being a success.

He's got lots of blame for everyone but the guy in mirror.... who's the real victim here.

#18763 3 years ago

I reviewed the blog, because I remember him talking about the door and taking over the space next door.

This was march 2014. Expo "Empty Cabinets" was October 2014. Even in these blog posts he mentions the RAZA cabinets.

So basically, he rents the space next door, busts open the wall and builds a door, and then the next 5 months are spent building the empty cabinets that he brought to expo. And was so deluded he actually blogged "Great Pinball Expo Week", before the shit hit the fan.

Screen_Shot_2016-04-22_at_7.45.19_AM_(resized).png

Screen_Shot_2016-04-22_at_7.43.56_AM_(resized).png

#18764 3 years ago

never underestimate the power of a new door to allow you to realize your true potential. and this one showed us real magic. duh

#18765 3 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Here's the big finale:
Nate: Anything else you want to tell folks out there?
JPop: Yes, I want people to know I don't give up, you know, WCS took 10 years to get right...
Nate: Sure
Jpop: And don't forget about taxes... 20% gets upped off the top and I wrote the governor about it...
Nate: Yup
JPop: Yeh, its just a lot of stuff to do... and like JJP and Stern have dozens of people helping them with office stuff
Nate: Ok, thanks well Ive enjoyed the conversation and best of luck to you and hopefully the next time were' talking about games shipping.
Jpop: Thanks Nate- yeah- well- we're REALLY CLOSE to MG production and the others close behind.... and now its getting to the fun part.

I had to refresh my memory on the Governor letter... it was from C2C quoted above. That interview is now 6 months old, and yet he was claiming them to be "REALLY CLOSE" to MG production. just like always.

#18766 3 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I had to refresh my memory on the Governor letter... it was from C2C quoted above. That interview is now 6 months old, and yet he was claiming them to be "REALLY CLOSE" to MG production. just like always.

Well, it did give him more space, but it was all just half-finished games.

#18767 3 years ago

Everything John accomplished with MG could have been achieved in his basement shop. Really the shops were only useful for production, which he never got close to. Building are expensive, constant cost.

I really think if John had kept designing in his basement, and drawn minimal salary (maybe 20-30k) this project could still at least be alive (if not yet finished) with the capital intact for production.

#18768 3 years ago

I hope that door hit him in the ass every time he walked through it.

#18769 3 years ago

JPop x100:

"Collectively, the former employees and executives we spoke to paint a picture of a business plagued by management dysfunction and with no coherent strategy other than to try and sell or float the business in an IPO."

http://www.businessinsider.com/inside-the-crash-of-londons-payment-unicorn-powa-technologies-2016-4?r=UK&IR=T

#18770 3 years ago

I've been reading this thread for awhile...

Is someone suing this guy for fraud or what?

#18771 3 years ago

The door, another red flag.

This guy is certainly one of the dumbest MF er's ever to take a breath. I'm sure somebody else at Williams/Bally did the real work behind those games he gets credit for.

There is NO doubt about it in my mind that he skated by there on the backs of other people doing the real work.

The whole handle him with "kid glove" thing really pisses me off to this day.

How did StevenP, his lawyer from day one, not have a clue as to how bad this F ing guy was?

It was all about the books and record keeping. He wasn't about to let me "help" him out because the fraud would have been exposed much sooner.

F him.

#18772 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

This guy is certainly one of the dumbest MF er's ever to take a breath..........
F him.

Amen brotha.

QSS

#18773 3 years ago

So many ifs.

I never saw how the math could have worked, but it certainly wasn't going to add up by taking a large salary and renting production space with nothing to produce yet.

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced he had to know he had screwed the pooch unless an angel investor materialized. By then it was too late for that to happen.

Can you believe that motivational poster above the door? "ORIGINAL IDEAS ONLY"

That attitude was a huge time sink. He may as well have decided to go with all fasteners having reverse threads.

#18774 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The door, another red flag.
This guy is certainly one of the dumbest MF er's ever to take a breath. I'm sure somebody else at Williams/Bally did the real work behind those games he gets credit for.
There is NO doubt about it in my mind that he skated by there on the backs of other people doing the real work.
The whole handle him with "kid glove" thing really pisses me off to this day.
How did StevenP, his lawyer from day one, not have a clue as to how bad this F ing guy was?
It was all about the books and record keeping. He wasn't about to let me "help" him out because the fraud would have been exposed much sooner.
F him.

I never understood Steven P. He seems like a fairly knowledgeable pinhead, but he couldn't take the rose colored goggles off when it came to Jpop.

#18775 3 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

So many ifs.
I never saw how the math could have worked, but it certainly wasn't going to add up by taking a large salary and renting production space with nothing to produce yet.
The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced he had to know he had screwed the pooch unless an angel investor materialized. By then it was too late for that to happen.

Bingo.

Announce RAZA when MG money is gone. Announce AIW when RAZA money is gone. Rinse and repeat.

Oh, yeah. Also make sure to tell everybody you keep the heat low to save money, whilst you buy yourself a fucking Range Rover with customer money. You know, for the love of pinball.

#18776 3 years ago
Quoted from woodworker:

Announce RAZA when MG money is gone. Announce AIW when RAZA money is gone

Announce KISS (with scab artwork) when all the money is gone.....

scabs_(resized).jpg

#18777 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Announce KISS (with scab artwork) when all the money is gone.....

Yeah, I forgot about that too. That entire machine was made of foamboard too if I remember correctly. Even the legs. It was sitting up on a high shelf in his shop and I wondered how the hell he got it up there until I looked at it closely.

#18778 3 years ago

Anyone?

Would be a good candidate for an episode of American Greed

#18779 3 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

I never understood Steven P. He seems like a fairly knowledgeable pinhead, but he couldn't take the rose colored goggles off when it came to Jpop.

One thing to keep in mind is when you have an attorney/client relationship with someone you need to stand by the client. Also, once you start the representation it is not always possible to ethically end the relationship (even if you are not paid) for certain tasks that you signed up for (such as securing IP).

It is certainly possible Steven could not have withdrawn from the representation even if he wanted to and he certainly could not speak negatively, on a public forum, about an existing client. I do not pretend to know if any of this was the case but it is possible.

#18780 3 years ago

Uh,... KISS? Ok, just HOW MANY PINBALLS did this man announce while not finishing ONE?! o.O;

#18781 3 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Uh,... KISS? Ok, just HOW MANY PINBALLS did this man announce while not finishing ONE?! o.O;

don't forget pussycat bowling
2bf7a311b157e4ab8fa93586f79f34caa77114c2[1]_(resized).jpg

Oh and apparently a makerbot pinball:
http://gamecenter.nyu.edu/three-questions-with-john-popadiuk/

#18782 3 years ago

I love "coming kinda soon in 2015" lol what a tool

#18783 3 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I missed that one entirely. What an incompetent boob, no focus whatsoever. He figured he would just keep taking payments in forever.

#18784 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I missed that one entirely. What an incompetent boob, no focus whatsoever. He figured he would just keep taking payments in forever.

And of course there was "Space-X" or whatever it was called. It was the simple EM-style game that he made and had art drawn for.

Don't forget about the MakerBot pinball machine too:

"we are making a new MakerBot pinball in secret"

#18785 3 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

2bf7a311b157e4ab8fa93586f79f34caa77114c2[1]_(resized).jpg
Oh and apparently a makerbot pinball:

Interesting....never saw that one.

Good grief...were there any others?

#18786 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Interesting....never saw that one.

Me neither.

#18787 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

He'd registered a bunch of domains at some point, one was a bible pinball URL that was a direct rip off of Ben Heck's idea.

#18788 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

The best part of the pussy cat bowling story, was when the url was uncovered originally in this thread, and that picture was posted, the website was changed literally an hour or 2 later the same day and all that info was removed. It gave us conclusive proof John was lurking in this thread and watching it in real time. And the thread was moving pretty hardcore then.

#18789 3 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

He'd registered a bunch of domains at some point, one was a bible pinball URL that was a direct rip off of Ben Heck's idea.

The Pussy Cat Bowling thing also looks like a response to Big Lebowski ... "oh, they want a bowling theme, I'll do one too"

#18791 3 years ago

I just checked the USPTO Public PAIR case information for US 13/709,056 and Steven P is still acting as his attorney and JPop is still pursuing patents. He has now filed an appeal (filed 4/4/16) to try to overturn the examiner's rejections.

My best guess is that JPop is hoping to get his patent issued involving the display acting in coordination with the switches that are in close proximity to the display, so he could then sue Stern and JJP for infringement as a way to make money. For example, the ecto goggle might infringe that patent claim and JJP is also said to be using something like that in the Lawlor game.

StevenP might not be able to disengage at this time in the middle of the patent prosecution appeal.

#18792 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

StevenP might not be able to disengage at this time in the middle of the patent prosecution appeal.

Well it's hard to believe he's getting paid at this point! If he's been providing free legal work right along, he may end up out of pocket more than most or all of JPop's investors/victims.

#18793 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I just checked the USPTO Public PAIR case information for US 13/709,056 and Steven P is still acting as his attorney and JPop is still pursuing patents. He has now filed an appeal (filed 4/4/16) to try to overturn the examiner's rejections.
My best guess is that JPop is hoping to get his patent issued involving the display acting in coordination with the switches that are in close proximity to the display, so he could then sue Stern and JJP for infringement as a way to make money. For example, the ecto goggle might infringe that patent claim and JJP is also said to be using something like that in the Lawlor game.

#18794 3 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

zidware_istock_photo_(resized).jpg

Jpop should hire zidware interactive social media to improve his online reputation

#18795 3 years ago

StevenP has been doing the patent work pro bono and spending money out of his own pocket, filing fees, etc.

Not for John but to see it through and the fact that it is hard to disengage like Tiger said, without violating ethics rules (yep, the word "ethics" in a John post") and other formalities.

Steve is a good guy, loves pinball, and just got caught up in the Jpop BS. He's just trying to help out with the patent work for the sake of moving the project along. Who the F else is gonna do it?

He's just one of many that innocently got F ed along the way in dealing with Jpop.

Man I feel sorry for everybody that got screwed over, so much time and money wasted down the Jpop rat hole.

Bill, so many vendors, and others that just tried to help along the way. Much respect and appreciation

#18796 3 years ago

I found the posts by Zaxxis that list all the domains John registered. What a flake. Think if John spent time actually getting shit done instead of dreaming up things that will never see the light of day. But getting shit done is hard. Sitting on your ass dreaming all day is much easier.

Quoted from Zaxxis:

Apparently he's busy with side projects. Most know about his "school" (http://www.pinballschool.org) -- Classes starting soon! And recently someone found http://pinballtruss.com.
But there appears to be other "projects". Maybe these are game 4 and 5?
http://www.pussycatpinball.com - "Coming Kinda Soon" in 2015
http://www.pinballx.org - Coming in 2015!
or http://nanoschool.org
or http://the-nanohome.com
or http://zidbook.org
or http://makerjohn.net
or http://rockstarpinball.com
or http://pinballmaximus.com (Waaah?)
or http://www.pinballscrapbook.com
and others...
Also he we have this: http://pinballcreatorkit.com, which I think only comes with paypal account and list of collectors with money to spend. No real pinball parts or plans on how to create a pinball machine.

Quoted from Zaxxis:

Here are some other interesting domains John has recently registered in august and updated back after expo.
- http://creation6pinball.org
- http://biblepinball.org
- http://creationgames.org
Good themes if you ask me, because his buyers are praying for their games to be made.
Lastly, we have http://pinball1977.com, which was registered on 9/29. "Retro mod shop dedicated to keep the pinball tradition alive and well. From recreating a retro-type pinball game, to illustrating pinball art and designing mods. The future of pinball today!"

#18797 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Add USPTO to John's list of blame targets. All part of what is holding him down.

#18798 3 years ago

But hey, John DID get his patent for his cabinet design! That and 2 bucks will buy him a coffee! Good thing all those months were spent on that patent.

#18799 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

My best guess is that JPop is hoping to get his patent issued involving the display acting in coordination with the switches that are in close proximity to the display,

There is only one main claim in that patent and it's invalid due to P3 prior art.

#18800 3 years ago

Hadn't seen this.....Zidware still active in the Apple App Store

ZidwareAppStore_(resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 124.00
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
There are 24316 posts in this topic. You are on page 376 of 487.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside